Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The MPs second job issue could have salience

Comments

• Options
    FalseFlagFalseFlag Posts: 1,801
    http://rt.com/news/234855-russia-iran-missiles-deal/

Blowback, US and Israeli lobbying to stop this will fall on deaf ears unlike 2010.
  • Options
    TheWatcherTheWatcher Posts: 5,262

And whether an MP has enough surgeries for constituents is for their voters decide - if no, they will get booted out.

I wonder what proportion of MPs actually win or lose an election based on whether they did enough for their constituents. I know it makes a difference at the margins, but most constituencies aren't marginal...
    As Austin Mitchell made clear earlier in the week, a donkey wearing a party rosette could win in many constituencies regardless of how many surgeries it attended.
  • Options
    edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,157
    edited February 2015

I detect a certain spiteful tone in the response of voters. They don't want MPs to have a full-time job. They want them to have an all-time job, on call 24 hours a day.

As long as MPs are available to meet all their voting and committee obligations, that should be our primary concern. MPs sloping off to have a meeting as a no-exec director for their #25k a year, instead of ironing the wrinkles out of a piece of complex tax legislation, that is clearly wrong. But if they go for meetings that means they catch a later train back to their constituency - is that so bad? In my book no, if we get a better all-round MP from it.

And whether an MP has enough surgeries for constituents is for their voters decide - if no, they will get booted out.

A lot of people in small organisations, or at the top of big ones, are on call 24 hours a day.

I've been thinking about getting one of these antique servant's bell boards and hooking it up to my server monitoring software.
    https://twitter.com/edmundedgar/status/333928327435915266
  • Options
    isam said:

JackW said:

Will I have to give up my paid consultancy to Mrs JackW on worldwide shoe fashions if I wish to continue as PB TOTY ?!?

You lost your TOTY crown last week.

A new PBer tipped a 100/1 winner.

Beat that
    If UKIP take Cannock Chase that will have been smashed out of the park (and it wasn't an arb)
    If my auntie had balls, she'd be my uncle.
  • Options
    ArtistArtist Posts: 1,883
    edited February 2015
    It really is opening a can of worms when a lot of the public assume that MPs work full time, but find out that they are in fact getting 60k a year for a "part time" job.

The calibre of MP argument isn't going to wash either as there isn't a standout example of an MP who combines a high status job with being MP, not one that the public will recognise anyway.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,154

I wonder what proportion of MPs actually win or lose an election based on whether they did enough for their constituents. I know it makes a difference at the margins, but most constituencies aren't marginal...
    It is a gradual thing. I have certainly heard it said that the Tories lost a number of their safe seats in the SW because incumbents did little or nothing by way of surgeries. If your opponent is busy holding them, that should be a wake-up call...
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,173
    Artist said:

It really is opening a can of worms when a lot of the public assume that MPs work full time, but find out that they are in fact getting 60k a year for a "part time" job.

The calibre of MP argument isn't going to wash either as there isn't a standout example of an MP who combines a high status job with being MP, not one that the public will recognise anyway.

Not true: how about Ministers of the Crown
  • Options
    "The grabbing hands grab all they can
    Everything Counts in large amounts"
  • Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195
    Anorak said:

It's divisive, populist, ill-thought-out shit like this which really, really, REALLY makes me despise Miliband and all his greasy-pole climbing ilk.

Amen brother
  • Options
    It is just been pointed out to me that the UK has "twin deficits" of current account and budget that total more than 10% of GDP.

Apparently, the last time they reached this level was 1975, a year before we went cap in hand to the IMF.

Not that I'm predicting that.
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,291
    A novel excuse to end a political career, ""I am the mother of two children and, despite my best efforts to make arrangements to bring them to Bradford for the next 70 days, particularly as one of them is doing her GCSEs, this would have caused massive disruption at a critical time."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-leeds-31619663

Will she ever cut the mustard again?
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 41,030

isam said:

JackW said:

Will I have to give up my paid consultancy to Mrs JackW on worldwide shoe fashions if I wish to continue as PB TOTY ?!?

Beat that
    If UKIP take Cannock Chase that will have been smashed out of the park (and it wasn't an arb)
    If my auntie had balls, she'd be my uncle.
    Mine too, so what?

You offering to lay the 250/1 I spotted? Yes please!
  • Options
    edited February 2015
    Indigo said:

The tricky bit to negotiate is if we force MPs to give up their current position, will many of them be able to get back into their chosen profession 5-10 years later when their party next gets kicked out ? If people think they wont be able to get back into their job, they wont leave in the first place. We whine from time to time about the lack of scientific and technical knowledge in the Commons, and yet scientific and tech skills, especially IT skills, will be totally obsolete after being out of the field for 5 years.

Maybe Nick Palmer can comment but given that parliamentary experience is quite unusual and reasonably valuable, I'd be surprised if most people coming from these fields would want to go back to exactly the same kind of job anyhow.

This brings us to a different problem which is that the obvious thing is for everyone to leave parliament become a lobbyist in their field, which potentially produces seriously bad incentives affecting what they do as an MP, but I doubt that keeping a part-time job while they were an MP would really help with it.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,023
    Norman Baker's had £20k from Oakeshott.

Ho hum

Uncle Vince:

Name of donor: Lord Oakeshott
    Address of donor: private
    Amount of donation or nature and value if donation
    in kind: conducting a local opinion
    poll, value £6,000
    Donor status: individual
    (Registered 5 June 2014)

No money from Oakeshott for Clegg though.

In fact it looks to me like Clegg has himself given £5000 to his MP capacities !
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,164

My current MP is Lansley, and I've been saying for as long as I've been on PB that I could never vote for him due to the fact he is rarely seen or heard from in the constituency. In comparison to my old constituency Romsey, where both Gidley and her successor Nokes had big presences, with well-advertised surgeries, at least until I left.

Thankfully, he's removed that problem by standing down, and has been replaced by a candidate who is quite interesting (tm).

Then again, I'm possibly unusual in the fact that I'm rather interested in politics ...
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    Seriously this is the kind of issue of no consequence that a party utterly discredited retreats to focus on to hide its failings elsewhere.

Labour are a special interest group for public sector workers - their manifesto for government is a mixture of nothing and picking on choice sectors who the proles like to see getting beaten up.

I fear the election campaign is going to be fought on these sub sub sub issues.

Blah.
  • Options

Another ill-thought through Labour policy. Why, oh, why. Are they trying to lose?

It does feed into the Labour = anti-business meme. Labour seem to be happy peddling this now. It is a 180 degree turn from the days of New Labour. I seem to recall it did OK back in those days....
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

I want to know what genius persuaded the press to call these jobs "outside interests", as if they're going to painting classes or something. It has to be the greatest British euphemism since "powder my nose".

Because that is what Parliament calls it...

Most recent Register of Interests (PDF)
    That narrows the pool of suspects down a bit, but doesn't really alter the most likely candidates...
    Danny Alexander gets money from The Ministry of Sound
    So does Simon Hughes.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,465
    Roger said:

Anorak

"It's divisive, populist, ill-thought-out shit like this which really, really, REALLY makes me despise Miliband and all his greasy-pole cimbing ilk."

Apparently only 10% of the population make £60,000 or above. So the first thing posters on here better do is start trying to see the world as the overwhelming 90% of the population see it. What's more thinking about these slightly surprising figures I now understand why Cameron and his mob are so unpopular. They're seen as living on a different planet

Yes this is the issue that the Cons can't square away.

For many Lab MPs (and supporters, save those in Islington), perhaps from working class backgrounds who would otherwise have taken working class jobs, £60k is a hell of a lot of money. For many Cons MPs (and supporters), aspiring to the professional classes, £60k doesn't get you very far at all.

There is no coherent Cons response to this issue as the two parties are addressing two different constituencies both as voters and PPCs.

• Options
    AnorakAnorak Posts: 6,621
    TGOHF said:

[Labour's] manifesto for government is a mixture of nothing and picking on choice sectors who the proles like to see getting beaten up.

100% right, and succintly put.
  • Options
    Simon Hughes:

Loans and other controlled transactions
    Name of lender: David Alliance
    Address of donor: private
    Amount of loan: £20,000
    Date the loan was entered into: 27 June 2014
    Date the loan is due to be repaid: indefinite
    Rate of interest: 0%

Is that a loan :P ?

Nice of PWC to pay for Tristram Hunt's intern - no possible future conflict of interest there...
  • Options
    I'm guessing £60,000 is "chicken-feed" (TM) to the more, er, radicalised PB Tories on here?
  • Options
    I seriously wouldnt be a MP for 60k.... all that hassle and opening your private life up to all and sundry?

No chance.
  • Options
    Fenster said:

Fenster said:

Most people underestimate the quality of our MPs.

You only had to listen to a snippet of Natalie Bennett's performance yesterday (and I felt a bit sorry for her) to understand the gulf in class between inexperienced politicians like her and the premier league bunch in the Commons.

Cameron and Miliband barely ever put a foot wrong. And look at Blair under the most menacing pressure over Iraq; he was - whether you agree with him or not - faultless in defence of his actions.

Imagine how clever, quick-witted and abreast of detail the top politicians are, compared to the average Joe. If I were an MP Youtube would be filled with my gaffes and people would be laughing at me. Yet I could earn £60k if I dragged a few big commissions in. And politicians are worth more than I am.

How much of today's lobby fodder do you think approach a Blair, or even a Dave'n'Ed standard?
    Off the top of my head, at GE2010 Tory newcomers included Sarah Woolaston, Dominic Raab, Savid Javid, Liz Truss and Anna "san*timonious" Soubry. These people are fecking quality.

Labour took in Stella Creasy and Chuka Umunna (I'm not so up with Labour MPs), again, quality people.

I doubt, percentage-wise, there is much dross in parliament, though I might be wrong.

I suspect if I tried to become an MP for a top party I wouldn't have a cat in hell's chance. Just not good enough.

ps - have you ever read Alan Clark's books? On becoming a minister he describes the mind-bending workload, portentously questioning whether it would lead him to a brain tumour. It's very off-putting for anybody who fancies entering parliament. For £60k too?! Screw that.
    Perhaps I'm biased having seen at first hand the quality of SLab timeservers; dross pretty much covers it.

Yep, I've read Clark's books & his biography, and for all his manifest faults he was an extraordinary personality - I doubt he'd make the K&C candidates' list today. For every Clark there have been hundreds of mediocrities.

Btw, everyone from Rifkind down keeps saying £60k a year - it's £67k (plus more than double that in expenses). I'd love a £7k pay rise!
  • Options
    SmarmeronSmarmeron Posts: 5,099
    edited February 2015
    @Pulpstar
    Did supplying researchers to the Conservatives and Libdem's by PwC cause them a conflict of interest as well?
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,380

Indigo said:

The tricky bit to negotiate is if we force MPs to give up their current position, will many of them be able to get back into their chosen profession 5-10 years later when their party next gets kicked out ? If people think they wont be able to get back into their job, they wont leave in the first place. We whine from time to time about the lack of scientific and technical knowledge in the Commons, and yet scientific and tech skills, especially IT skills, will be totally obsolete after being out of the field for 5 years.

Maybe Nick Palmer can comment but given that parliamentary experience is quite unusual and reasonably valuable, I'd be surprised if most people coming from these fields would want to go back to exactly the same kind of job anyhow.

This brings us to a different problem which is that the obvious thing is for everyone to leave parliament become a lobbyist in their field, which potentially produces seriously bad incentives affecting what they do as an MP, but I doubt that keeping a part-time job while they were an MP would really help with it.
    Good points. After 13 years in Parliament my experience in IT was wildly outdated, and the only plausible jobs were in NGOs. By chance an NGO that I'd helped some years earlier because I supported it happened to have a vacancy, and I jumped at it. I regard myself as very lucky, and know lots of ex-MPs who semiretired into vague consultancy. The basic problem is that if you lose an IT job there are other IT jobs galore, but there's only one Parliament.
  • Options

I'm guessing £60,000 is "chicken-feed" (TM) to the more, er, radicalised PB Tories on here?

It's not chicken feed, but it's not a lot of money for a professional position working in London.
  • Options
    FensterFenster Posts: 2,115

Working and living in London four days a week, away from the family?
    Coming home and working all day Saturday in constituency surgeries?
    Heavy workload?
    Heavy scrutiny?
    Public loathing?
    A Sunday press wanting to know when you last smoked dope or popped a pill?
    Former girlfriends and one night stand's tracked-down for gossip?
    All for a take-home of about £3400 a month.

No chance.

Having to work and live in London would put me off in itself.

I'm off to walk the dog in the hills in the beautiful, spring sunshine.
  • Options
    john_zimsjohn_zims Posts: 3,399
    So if MP's can't have second jobs do they have to stand down when they are ministers, does it include trade union work, writing books, paid Newspaper articles,media appearances ?
  • Options

The basic problem is that if you lose an IT job there are other IT jobs galore, but there's only one Parliament.

This is the problem with all these parochial political systems. We shouldn't really be electing people to run large countries until they've proved that they know what they're doing spending a few years running a smaller one.
  • Options

It is about to happen big time in Scotland.

• Options
    Depends what we want from our MPs really, are they glorified/super social workers, or are they people to review and ammend laws?

The two are totally different skill-sets and totally different demands.
  • Options
    edited February 2015

I don't know much about Scotland but I don't think that's what's happening. I think what's happening is that the independence referendum has moved the main political fault lines with the result that a bunch of people who were on the right side of the main political arguments are now on the wrong side of them, and those unlucky people going to get swept away whether they were doing a bunch of surgeries or not.

What I suppose is true is that even if you're not in a marginal, you should pay a bit of attention in case you suddenly find yourself in one, but statistically that probably doesn't happen very often to the average MP, and when it does it's most likely to be from boundary changes, which will mean that a lot of the people you were paying attention to aren't your constituents any more anyhow.
  • Options

What I suppose is true is that even if you're not in a marginal, you should pay a bit of attention in case you suddenly find yourself in one, but statistically that probably doesn't happen very often to the average MP, and when it does it's most likely to be from boundary changes.
    Or, when it does happen, it's due to events entirely out of your control....
  • Options
    Smarmeron said:

@Pulpstar
    Did supplying researchers to the Conservatives and Libdem's by PwC cause them a conflict of interest as well?

No, all the Conservative interests seem good and proper to me, we simply must keep up good business relations with waste paper recycling in Kazakhstan and various business in Uzbekistan.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

It is just been pointed out to me that the UK has "twin deficits" of current account and budget that total more than 10% of GDP.

Apparently, the last time they reached this level was 1975, a year before we went cap in hand to the IMF.

Wasn't the deficit alone more than 10% of GDP in 2009?
  • Options
    FensterFenster Posts: 2,115
    @UnionDivvie

A £7k pay rise!

Good point. I'm parroting what Sir Malcolm said and it is wrong to swat away £7k!

And I'm only playing Devil's Advocate. £67k is a lot of money and it must a great privilege to be an MP and to work in the great Westminster Palace, but it's a job for a particular (quite special, I think) type of person.

The public may rage at MPs and the expenses etc but I doubt many of them would actually want to do it.

You are right about SLAB MPs though. The quality heydays of great Scottish Labour figures seems to have plummeted in recent years. Labour of the early 80s had Brown, Reid, Darling, Galloway, Dewar, Smith etc etc.

What on earth happened?!

ps - agree on Clark too. Extraordinary character. He'd be front page of the Sunday's every week these days :)
  • Options
    SimonStClareSimonStClare Posts: 7,976
    edited February 2015
    Afternoon all.

According to the poll, I’m a 26%er – can’t think of anything worse than a house full of professionalised MPs, with zero life experience outside of Westminster or the party machine.

Didn’t Gordon Brown raise the issue of 2nd Jobs whilst PM, then drop it when there was a backlash from his own side?
  • Options
    richardDoddrichardDodd Posts: 5,472
    edited February 2015
    Diane Abbott..second job... nuff said..needs the extra dosh to send her kid to a private school
  • Options
    edited February 2015
    @richardDodd
    On a purely personal basis, I would ban Diane Abbott, full stop.
  • Options
    edited February 2015

Depends what we want from our MPs really, are they glorified/super social workers, or are they people to review and ammend laws?

The two are totally different skill-sets and totally different demands.

Yup - I reckon the way to fix British democracy is to flip the Commons and Lords around again. Start by putting in some more sensible proportional system for the Lords, that doesn't do the kinds of crazy wacky things that FPTP is going to do as the Lab/Con duopoly fades into history. Gradually they'll accrue power because they're the ones with the most democratic accountability.

Meanwhile in the FPTP Commons, you've got a bunch of individuals whose parties get maybe 25% support locally, and who work the constituency hard to generate strong "Conservatives for Palmer"-style incumbency. Eventually these people end up finding the party brands are a liability, and start running as independents, so you end up with an elected non-partisan social worker, but sitting in the Commons which also has some residual powers, giving them the ability to gang up with a bunch of other non-partisan social workers to revise and block things the elected government want to do that a lot of local people have been bending their ears over.
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

I think that was including the costs of the bank rescues.
  • Options
    Scanning that PDF, seems many MPs get a lot of payments from our friendly neighbourhood polling companies!
  • Options

Afternoon all.

According to the poll, I’m a 26%er – can’t think of anything worse than a house full of professionalised MPs, with zero life experience outside of Westminster or the party machine.

Didn’t Gordon Brown raise the issue of 2nd Jobs whilst PM, then drop it when there was a backlash from his own side?

Gordon more likely dropped it when somebody quietly took him to one side and explained how much dosh was to be made when he lost in 2010.....

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/gordon-brown/10083547/Gordon-Brown-tops-list-of-MPs-with-extra-earnings.html
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,543
    edited February 2015

Btw, everyone from Rifkind down keeps saying £60k a year - it's £67k (plus more than double that in expenses). I'd love a £7k pay rise!

Sorry, let me re-phrase:

I'm guessing £67,000 (plus expenses) is "chicken-feed" (TM) to the more, er, radicalised PB Tories on here?

(BTW in case you haven't guessed by now, that's my attempt at trolling! :) )
  • Options
    edited February 2015
    rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

"Investment" in the banks. Not allowed to mention the 'c' word any more (ask Anna S).
  • Options

For legal reasons no discussion at the moment on the Survation/LD polling

• Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670

JackW said:

Beat that
    Hey, he only said to back each way.
  • Options
    taffystaffys Posts: 9,753
    edited February 2015
    Isn;t banning jobs an example of labour pulling up the ladder to social mobility? Only very wealthy people would be able to become MPs in the first place
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 59,021

Sorry, let me re-phrase:

I'm guessing £67,000 (plus expenses) is "chicken-feed" (TM) to the more, er, radicalised PB Tories on here?

This PB Tory wishes he earned £67,000!
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670

On the issue of pay surely the problem is that you have a small number of people with truly remarkable salaries. Executive pay in the UK is I believe the highest in the world relative to turnover. It would be interesting to see some figures on where 69k comes in terms of the distribution of incomes. It's about 3 times the median. Outside the south east I wonder what percentage of the population earns above that? If being an MP is a full time job then you could make a case for paying them a bit more. If it is a part time job I think most people would be of the view that 69k is rather a lot.

Median is about £19,000ish

Mean is £26,000ish
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

No, excluding the bank rescues
  • Options
    edited February 2015
    Smarmeron..I don't want to ban anyone..I just like to point
    out the hypocritical bullshiners..and she happens to be at the very top of the list..
  • Options
    Smarmeron said:

@richardDodd

Superficially harsh, but ultimately difficult to argue against....

• Options
    weejonnieweejonnie Posts: 3,820
    The problem is not MPs having second jobs.

It's that many of them have never had a First one!

Since, you must admit, for many MPs job security as an MP is not exactly a 'given' surely it makes sense for them to keep their current job so that they remain in the loop and can then devote themselves once they leave parliament to their other job - without spending months, or years, getting re-acquainted with the changes in the industry since they became an MP.
  • Options
    Select committee Guardian blog

Why Panama?

That was simply the nominee entity that our Swiss bank advised, Gulliver says.
  • Options
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/earth/11433786/Solar-eclipse-to-disrupt-power-supplies.html

Makes you wonder how they cope with the daily event of the Sun going down.
  • Options
    RobD said:

Sorry, let me re-phrase:

You get to go to Chile as part of your day job !

Seeing a proper night sky is priceless.
  • Options
    taffys said:

Isn;t banning jobs an example of labour pulling up the ladder to social mobility? Only very wealthy people would be able to become MPs in the first place

Why? £67,000 is a lot of money... a good teacher/nurse should be able to make a good MP and they don't get paid £67,000

They don't all have to be highly paid people trained in arguing things they don't believe in
  • Options
    RobD said:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/earth/11433786/Solar-eclipse-to-disrupt-power-supplies.html

I remember there was a weird eerie stillness that accompanied the total eclipse in 1999. I guess that buggers up the wind turbines too....
  • Options
    Alistair said:

On the issue of pay surely the problem is that you have a small number of people with truly remarkable salaries. Executive pay in the UK is I believe the highest in the world relative to turnover. It would be interesting to see some figures on where 69k comes in terms of the distribution of incomes. It's about 3 times the median. Outside the south east I wonder what percentage of the population earns above that? If being an MP is a full time job then you could make a case for paying them a bit more. If it is a part time job I think most people would be of the view that 69k is rather a lot.

Mean is £26,000ish
    It is much more than the average, no doubt about that, but then we wouldn't expect our MPs to be average people. We would expect/want them to be well educated, to be professional (at mostly at least), to be akin to lawyers, or doctors, or accountants, or some other white collar profession.

Once you are there, and once you consider working in london,. 60/67k is not a lot when you compare with with similar roles.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 36,012
    FalseFlag said:

Scott_P said:

@SophyRidgeSky: Interesting chat with Conservative MP in a marginal seat earlier who claims UKIP are "detoxifying" the Tories

That would be why they are polling higher than in 2010.
    In the same way that Labour were detoxifying the Liberals in the 1910s.
  • Options
    isam said:

taffys said:

Why? £67,000 is a lot of money... a good teacher/nurse should be able to make a good MP and they don't get paid £67,000

They don't all have to be highly paid people trained in arguing things they don't believe in
    Headteachers and senior nurses do though. Remember we're talking about people coming into the role in their 40s ish....
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,913
    Nothing to stop MPs having outside interests. Just being paid megabucks for them.

No MP should have spare time if they do their job right.
  • Options

For legal reasons no discussion at the moment on the Survation/LD polling

No doubt OGH will tip us the wink the moment it is back on the menu.... Probably with a full thread?

• Options

Alistair said:

Mean is £26,000ish
    It is much more than the average, no doubt about that, but then we wouldn't expect our MPs to be average people. We would expect/want them to be well educated, to be professional (at mostly at least), to be akin to lawyers, or doctors, or accountants, or some other white collar profession.

Once you are there, and once you consider working in london,. 60/67k is not a lot when you compare with with similar roles.
    I'd quite like to see some "average people" in there tbh.
  • Options

The basic problem is that if you lose an IT job there are other IT jobs galore, but there's only one Parliament.

This is the problem with all these parochial political systems. We shouldn't really be electing people to run large countries until they've proved that they know what they're doing spending a few years running a smaller one.
    Actually no joke. If Westminster devolved menaningful powers to cities, counties, etc then there would be a base of mayors, councillors etc that could demonstrate some competence to be MPs - in much the same way that it is usually Governors not Senators who get the US presidency. (Senators make shit leaders).
  • Options

RobD said:

I remember there was a weird eerie stillness that accompanied the total eclipse in 1999. I guess that buggers up the wind turbines too....
    Bonnie Tyler's record sales will soar.

• Options
    Smarmeron said:

Select committee Guardian blog

Why Panama?

That was simply the nominee entity that our Swiss bank advised, Gulliver says.

Sorry, did I miss the Guardian being grilled on its tax avoidance measures by a Select Comm...

Oh. Silly me.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Alistair said:

Mean is £26,000ish

Have you seen an 'average person'. Thats a person with an IQ of 100....
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

RobD said:

Sorry, let me re-phrase:

While pretty, it doesn't pay the bills ;)
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

Alistair said:

Mean is £26,000ish

It's ~104 in the UK, but I take your point ;-)
  • Options
    RobD said:

Pulpstar said:

RobD said:

Sorry, let me re-phrase:

While pretty, it doesn't pay the bills ;)
    I'll have to make do with watching the solar eclipse in Coventry on a Friday morning :)
  • Options
    Thinking about it, £1 per year, per constituent would get you £75k or more as an MP. Assuming they actually bother representing you (and my MP does), that's pretty good valuef for money. [yeah, yeah, expenses, etc].
  • Options
    edited February 2015
    @MarqueeMark
    Man apologizing for misdeeds in a Swiss bank tells the committee he only did it on the recommendation of.....a Swiss bank?
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

Alistair said:

Mean is £26,000ish

Reminds me of the timeless George Carlin quote: 'Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that'
  • Options
    All the way down on page 372 of the PDF, you get to the family members employed and remunerated through parliamentary allowances section...
  • Options
    edited February 2015

Pulpstar said:

Alistair said:

Mean is £26,000ish

Yep, you're right we should probably have MPs in the house who know the probability of two heads in a row... Oh wait.

Actually what we have is MPs in there who *think* they're above average, when alot of them really probably are not ;)
  • Options
    Patrick said:

Actually no joke. If Westminster devolved menaningful powers to cities, counties, etc then there would be a base of mayors, councillors etc that could demonstrate some competence to be MPs - in much the same way that it is usually Governors not Senators who get the US presidency. (Senators make shit leaders).
    That would make the professional politician aspect even worse, they'd have to start at the bottom at a young age in order to get to the top before dying!
  • Options
    One thing I learned (having an above average IQ) is that the test just means you are good at IQ tests.
  • Options
    perdixperdix Posts: 1,806
    Milipede making the usual opportunistic noises about the latest "scandal" while having done nothing about it when in government or in opposition.
  • Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195
    Smarmeron said:

@richardDodd

A bit harsh but I can see where you are coming from.

I quite like her for comedy value.
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,291
    Sky News Newsdesk ‏@SkyNewsBreak 18s19 seconds ago
    Sky Sources: No charges to be laid against #Glasgow City Council or driver of bin lorry following crash in December in which six people died.

• Options
    Tbh I'd like to know how on earth one could persuade their current employer to give them 3 months off to campaign or w/e to be an MP !

Probably why us PAYErs always "pay our share" ;)
  • Options
    dr_spyn said:
    Free Big John Owls :P
  • Options
    edited February 2015
    Nick Robinson made a good point on Daily Politics.. the real concern ISNT Mp's having two jobs, but having two masters

Labour are proposing to stop MP's taking directorships etc I can see why that is liable to lead to conflict of interests.. they aren't trying to stop MP's also being Doctors/Lawyers etc
  • Options
    MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,957
    Totally in agreement with you Mike, banning second jobs would be the triumph of mediocrity.

One or two senior Tories who had successful careers before coming to the House (Hammond? Gove? Boris?) should probably slip in one or two jibes about Labour MPs 'only wanting to ban second jobs because they worry they couldn't get one'. Should be enough to move the conversation on...

• Options
    Of course, being a Union Official or being sponsored by a Union is a second job.
  • Options
    DairDair Posts: 6,108

Fenster said:

Fenster said:

Most people underestimate the quality of our MPs.

You only had to listen to a snippet of Natalie Bennett's performance yesterday (and I felt a bit sorry for her) to understand the gulf in class between inexperienced politicians like her and the premier league bunch in the Commons.

Cameron and Miliband barely ever put a foot wrong. And look at Blair under the most menacing pressure over Iraq; he was - whether you agree with him or not - faultless in defence of his actions.

Imagine how clever, quick-witted and abreast of detail the top politicians are, compared to the average Joe. If I were an MP Youtube would be filled with my gaffes and people would be laughing at me. Yet I could earn £60k if I dragged a few big commissions in. And politicians are worth more than I am.

How much of today's lobby fodder do you think approach a Blair, or even a Dave'n'Ed standard?
    Off the top of my head, at GE2010 Tory newcomers included Sarah Woolaston, Dominic Raab, Savid Javid, Liz Truss and Anna "san*timonious" Soubry. These people are fecking quality.

Labour took in Stella Creasy and Chuka Umunna (I'm not so up with Labour MPs), again, quality people.

I doubt, percentage-wise, there is much dross in parliament, though I might be wrong.

I suspect if I tried to become an MP for a top party I wouldn't have a cat in hell's chance. Just not good enough.

ps - have you ever read Alan Clark's books? On becoming a minister he describes the mind-bending workload, portentously questioning whether it would lead him to a brain tumour. It's very off-putting for anybody who fancies entering parliament. For £60k too?! Screw that.
    Perhaps I'm biased having seen at first hand the quality of SLab timeservers; dross pretty much covers it.

Yep, I've read Clark's books & his biography, and for all his manifest faults he was an extraordinary personality - I doubt he'd make the K&C candidates' list today. For every Clark there have been hundreds of mediocrities.

Quite important because that £7k makes MPs 4th percentile not 10th percentile. They earn more than 96% of the population with no accounting for committee or cabinet increments, no accounting for family member staff, no accounting for expenses, no accounting for post parliament earnings (would Mr Palmer earn the same he does today as he would continuing in programming which is generally paid less today than 20 years ago) and no account for the gilt edges 1/40th pension on a Final Salary basis today's working population can only dream of.
  • Options
    MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,957
    isam said:

Nick Robinson made a good point on Daily Politics.. the real concern ISNT Mp's having two jobs, but having two masters

Labour are proposing to stop MP's taking directorships etc I can see why that is liable to lead to conflict of interests.. they aren't trying to stop MP's also being Doctors/Lawyers etc

Um, with any sort of salary cap that is exactly what Labour are proposing to stop...

Perhaps he should pass such a ridiculously facile, ill-thought through rule within his own party, and thus restrict any Labour MP from ever taking up a government position again because the salary would exceed the self-imposed salary cap.

• Options
    isam said:

What is so evil about being a director ? Labour just hate business and enterprise.
  • Options
    Quick question - has an MP ever been a judge or magistrate at the same time as being in the house ?
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,244
    Mortimer said:

isam said:

Um, with any sort of salary cap that is exactly what Labour are proposing to stop...

Perhaps he should pass such a ridiculously facile, ill-thought through rule within his own party, and thus restrict any Labour MP from ever taking up a government position again because the salary would exceed the self-imposed salary cap.

It's a daft idea. An MP who is also a doctor or teacher is an asset and should not be prevented from keeping up their profession. Ditto journalism, writing books, owning or running a company or being involved with a charity etc.

If the issue is having two masters, then no MP should be sponsored by a trade union because there is a potential or actual conflict of interest just as there would be with an MP paid by a company to advance their case.

• Options
    DairDair Posts: 6,108
    Out of interest I looked at Malcolm Rifkind's history.

He has been an MP since 1974, therefore when he was first elected to office he would be a 28yo Barrister, with at most 3 years experience after becoming an Advocate.

Today, I would expect a Barrister at 3 years post-qual to be earning somewhere around £25k to £30k inside or outside London. Or in my sister's case, 3 years post qual she is earning £22k in London as a Solicitor because she didn't have the family connections to get pupilage.

It would seem to me that £67k as an MP (plus significant benefits package) is a very attractive offer to the most intelligent Barristers with 3 years experience, given they have no guarantees of progression to the top tier of Barristers and the likely future for a profession where most of its lucrative public funding is being removed.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Quick question - has an MP ever been a judge or magistrate at the same time as being in the house ?

Don't think that would sit well, given that judges should be apolitical.
  • Options
    edited February 2015
    I got the impression at PMQs that EdM had just put the proposal together after he had entered the chamber..he probably hadn't,but that is how it looked .It had all the depth of thought that went into Blairs ..We will march the felon to a cash machine..and Browns.. Gulags for slags.
  • Options
    Nowt wrong with second jobs, it's not illegal to work for a living in this country yet, as long as you don't take the pish, or let the second job overtake the first.
    I just think it should be policed a bit more stringently for MPs, as they are in positions of influence.
    And any fool saying that 60+ grand a year, plus expenses isn't good money needs to have a word with themselves. Most of us in the actual world, rather than PB world, would be more than happy.
    I don't think you can bleat and moan about the hours, or the stress, or being away from family, either. Plenty of jobs bring that, on far, far less.
  • Options
    blackburn63blackburn63 Posts: 4,492
    edited February 2015
    I'm no fan of Miliband but he skewered Cameron today. The wider electorate, not the politicos on here, will see this as Cameron protecting his own interests again.

Cameron couldn't beat Brown and he won't beat Ed, under pressure he folds too easily which is why he's dodging the debates.

He is vacuous
This discussion has been closed.