Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The MPs second job issue could have salience

SystemSystem Posts: 11,685
edited February 2015 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The MPs second job issue could have salience

Ed Miliband, inevitably given what’s happened this week, made MPs outside interests his primary focus at PMQs. The Labour approach is to ban second jobs and there is a vote tonight on the issue.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    DaemonBarberDaemonBarber Posts: 1,626
    edited February 2015
    1st?

(edit)

I agree with the Header...
    Ed won on the superficial soundbite today, but we all lose if we ban 2nd jobs.

- unless we hike up MPs salary significantly.
    circa 60k pa is nothing. (ok, not compared to avearge etc, but you get my point) For many people who you would actually want to be an MP this would be a serious drop and considerable bar to standing for office.
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,288
    2nd job.
  • Options
    650 PPE clones, with no other jobs?

Miliband and others have spent the day inserting a colonoscope up their own rectums, looking for new ideas.
  • Options
    I'd like them to get part-time jobs as mini cab drivers, then they can see what is really going on instead of sweeping it under the carpet.
  • Options
    AnorakAnorak Posts: 6,621
    edited February 2015
    It's divisive, populist, ill-thought-out shit like this which really, really, REALLY makes me despise Miliband and all his greasy-pole climbing ilk.
  • Options

1st?

(edit)

circa 60k pa is nothing. (ok, not compared to avearge etc, but you get my point) For many people who you would actually want to be an MP this would be a serious drop and considerable bar to standing for office.

It would be substantially above the salaries paid to most working and middle class people.

• Options
    Anorak said:

It's divisive, populist, ill-thought-out shit like this which really, really, REALLY makes me despise Miliband and all his greasy-pole cimbing ilk.

So he had a big win today
  • Options

Anorak said:

It's divisive, populist, ill-thought-out shit like this which really, really, REALLY makes me despise Miliband and all his greasy-pole cimbing ilk.

So he had a big win today
    Sadly, yes. And we'll all be poorer for it. You can call it good politics if you like, but it's poor representation.
  • Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787
    Will I have to give up my paid consultancy to Mrs JackW on worldwide shoe fashions if I wish to continue as PB TOTY ?!?
  • Options
    JackW said:

Will I have to give up my paid consultancy to Mrs JackW on worldwide shoe fashions if I wish to continue as PB TOTY ?!?

You lost your TOTY crown last week.

A new PBer tipped a 100/1 winner.

Beat that
  • Options
    CD13CD13 Posts: 6,351
    Ed's seen a bandwagon and jumped aboard.

FPT

Mr Observer, In my original post on the Muslim poll (08.56), I pointed out that ...

"I know Muslims who feel strongly sympathetic towards people fighting for IS and al-Qaeda - 8% agree" That is worrying, and if it's true it means that over 200,000 British Muslims know someone with that view. And "a fifth of those polled said they thought Western liberal society could never be compatible with Islam." - that's around half a million.

I can quite believe that gobby Guardian readers will also be happy to show their liberal credentials in such a manner too, but the chance of them flying over to fight for ISIS or bombing trains is close to zero.

And the question about liberal democracy and Islam not being compatible could well score highly with non-Muslims too, but from a different demographic.
  • Options
    Presumably politicians get involved in politics to serve the public. Given that, over £60,000 a year plus expenses does not seem too prohibitive to me. It's not as if MPs are forced to stand for re-election

That said, I do have a strong level of sympathy with the idea that before going into parliament our MPs should have worked in the real world for a while.
  • Options
    I agree with Mike.
  • Options
    Mr. Anorak, you're saying he's an opportunistic little shit?

He's just leaping atop another bandwagon.

Let us suppose he has had a win today. Was it worth it? Has he made headway on the economy? Or any other serious issue? How many people will enter the polling booth in May and think about this?

Anyway, I am off to perambulate with the hound.
  • Options

Mr. Anorak, you're saying he's an opportunistic little shit?

He's just leaping atop another bandwagon.

Let us suppose he has had a win today. Was it worth it? Has he made headway on the economy? Or any other serious issue? How many people will enter the polling booth in May and think about this?

Anyway, I am off to perambulate with the hound.

Careful, the RSPCA will be after you.

Oh you said perambulate.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,850
    Anorak said:

It's divisive, populist, ill-thought-out shit like this which really, really, REALLY makes me despise Miliband and all his greasy-pole climbing ilk.

But, good politics.
  • Options
    FrankBoothFrankBooth Posts: 9,047
    On the issue of pay surely the problem is that you have a small number of people with truly remarkable salaries. Executive pay in the UK is I believe the highest in the world relative to turnover. It would be interesting to see some figures on where 69k comes in terms of the distribution of incomes. It's about 3 times the median. Outside the south east I wonder what percentage of the population earns above that? If being an MP is a full time job then you could make a case for paying them a bit more. If it is a part time job I think most people would be of the view that 69k is rather a lot.
  • Options
    **Crossover post** **Crossover post** **Crossover post**
    '
    '
    '
    '
    '
    '
    '
    '
    '
    '

Only kidding! :lol::lol:

ELBOWing the six polls so far this week (inc. last night's YG) gives Lab a 0.5% lead

This increases to 1.0% going by the more traditional simple averages.

Take your pick :):)
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,930
    edited February 2015

I'd like them to get part-time jobs as mini cab drivers, then they can see what is really going on instead of sweeping it under the carpet.

Labour councillors in rotherham have tried that, but i think it helped them sweep stuff under the carpet
  • Options
    Not sure how much salience it has as an issue. Respondents to polls invariably say they support anything which is nasty to MPs, but I think they are sufficiently realistic to recognise that Ed's proposal is just a silly piece of grandstanding. In any case there are plenty of Labour MPs who would not be at all happy at the suggestion.
  • Options
    TheWatcherTheWatcher Posts: 5,262
    650 Milibands as MP's? Lock the doors, and call for Fawkes.
  • Options

1st?

(edit)

It would be substantially above the salaries paid to most working and middle class people.

But cruicially, not enough to compensate for the liefstyle changes that go along with being an MP.

Despite what some on here claim, being an MP (or a good one ant any rate), require more hours than I care to work in a week an lots of commuting (unless you are a London MP)
    It probably means that your other half would have to take on ALL of the child care, so you now have only 1 income to the household, so it's not just your salary that we are comparing here.

You want to remove financial barriers to ensure that anybody who has the desire can stand without fear.
    If you don't, we end up with a situation where only those who are independently wealthy will be able... Oh, wait a minute!
  • Options
    How well I remember Dave strenuously and ceaselessly campaigning to reform MP expenses years before any scandal broke. If only Ed could be as unopportunistic as Dave was back in 2009.
  • Options

1st?

(edit)

There aren't many jobs in Science where you can earn 60K.
  • Options
    Anorak said:

It's certainly opportunstic, Anorak, and I wish there were less of this kind of thing from our representatives generally.

It is a bit like wishing there were less sin in the world though, isn't it?
  • Options

JackW said:

Beat that
    I didn't discern a vote on the matter.

JackW was elected by the PB masses and will not be usurped in some shabby coup de theatre !!

• Options
    OblitusSumMeOblitusSumMe Posts: 9,143
    edited February 2015
    I would prefer MPs used their time to hold the Executive to account, rather than to hold down second jobs.

To ensure that MPs were in touch with ordinary people I would try to make sure that more ordinary people were elected as MPs, and it might help if the concept of a career in politics died a death. A couple of tours of duty, ten years in all, is an awful long time to ask people to serve the public as a politician. It really is too much to expect them to sacrifice themselves for any longer.
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,891
    Anorak

"It's divisive, populist, ill-thought-out shit like this which really, really, REALLY makes me despise Miliband and all his greasy-pole cimbing ilk."

Apparently only 10% of the population make £60,000 or above. So the first thing posters on here better do is start trying to see the world as the overwhelming 90% of the population see it. What's more thinking about these slightly surprising figures I now understand why Cameron and his mob are so unpopular. They're seen as living on a different planet
  • Options
    chestnutchestnut Posts: 7,341
    Cameron needs to stress:

a) The problem of career politicians:
    b) The barrier to entry to Parliament if you deny ordinary business people access - beautifully put by Tapsell:
    c) That there is no difference between pay and 'sponsorship'.

The cynical, general public will interpret what it means when an MP is 'sponsored'

More trivia from Ed, I'm afraid.

Might sound good in a goodie v baddie type discussion but what difference does it make to Mr and Mrs Average? Not a lot. Let's hear about jobs, mortgage rates, taxes, houses, etc.
  • Options
    edited February 2015

JackW said:

Beat that
    If UKIP take Cannock Chase that will have been smashed out of the park (and it wasn't an arb)
  • Options
    That said, if you did ban second jobs, you'd have to raise MPs' pay enormously to compensate.

If the choice was:-

1. Ban second jobs and pay backbench MPs £100,000 a year,

2. Keep things as they are,

I think most people would go for 2.
  • Options
    Today's least-surprising news: FIFA clears FIFA excecutive member of corruption charge.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/31618126
  • Options
    CD13CD13 Posts: 6,351
    Isam,

"Labour councillors in rotherham have tried that, but i think it helped them sweep stuff under the carpet."

Post of the day.
  • Options
    Roger said:

Anorak

They're seen as living on a different planet

Says the poster who expects Polanski to be let off, because he's a 'Creative'.
  • Options
    Anorak said:

Today's least-surprising news: FIFA clears FIFA excecutive member of corruption charge.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/31618126

About as surprising as Harry Redknapp's knee miraculously improving overnight.
  • Options
    Wonder if anything "interesting" will show up in the Register of Members Interests...

• Options

1st?

(edit)

But cruicially, not enough to compensate for the liefstyle changes that go along with being an MP.

Despite what some on here claim, being an MP (or a good one ant any rate), require more hours than I care to work in a week an lots of commuting (unless you are a London MP)
    It probably means that your other half would have to take on ALL of the child care, so you now have only 1 income to the household, so it's not just your salary that we are comparing here.

You want to remove financial barriers to ensure that anybody who has the desire can stand without fear.
    If you don't, we end up with a situation where only those who are independently wealthy will be able... Oh, wait a minute!

Median household income in the UK is well below £60,000 (plus expenses) per annum.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,001

It would have made the lives of the alleged paedophile ring MPs easier too.
  • Options
    IndigoIndigo Posts: 9,966
    Roger said:

Anorak

"It's divisive, populist, ill-thought-out shit like this which really, really, REALLY makes me despise Miliband and all his greasy-pole cimbing ilk."

Apparently only 10% of the population make £60,000 or above. So the first thing posters on here better do is start trying to see the world as the overwhelming 90% of the population see it. What's more thinking about these slightly surprising figures I now understand why Cameron and his mob are so unpopular. They're seen as living on a different planet

Do we want ordinary people with ordinary levels of vision and understand framing the laws by which we live, and being even more house-trained by the civil service than the current shower, being even less capable of scrutinising the self-serving bullshit that the mandarins want to pass in to law ? I would hope we could attract exceptional people to run the country, and exceptional people will demand exceptional compensation, or they will work for the private sector.
  • Options
    edited February 2015

1st?

(edit)

Median household income in the UK is well below £60,000 (plus expenses) per annum.
    And your point is...?

• Options
    edited February 2015

Anorak said:

It's certainly opportunstic, Anorak, and I wish there were less of this kind of thing from our representatives generally.

It is a bit like wishing there were less sin in the world though, isn't it?
    My (intense) irritation stems from the fact that this behaviour is all that Ed does. Hop from populist bandwagon to bandwagon to bandwagon. I honestly can't think of another politician so egregiously opportunistic to the detriment of his constituents and the country (and his party, in the long-term). Certainly not one who's been a leader of a major party.

Anyway, I think I need a nice cup of camomile tea and some Chopin to calm down.
  • Options
    Incredible that people are saying "only 60k a year" will stop the best people becoming MPs

I'd say if they were capable of earning a lot more, but felt they would rather serve the country for 60k they would have passed the test as one of "the best".. if someone was solely interested in maintaining a luxury lifestyle, they aren't altruistic enough to be an MP

As for the other 90% of the population, I am sure they would love to earn 60k plus exes
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,071
    I don't buy the argument that you need to raise the salaries to attract 'talent' as it still wouldn't be possible to offer any significant financial upside. Bonuses for MPs' performance would be absurd. No, the upside for the kind of people you want to attract would come after their political career had ended or was winding down and they could then monetise their higher profile.

For that reason I favour offering 'MP loans' on a similar basis to the student loan system where the money would be repayable out of future income above a certain level. This would also be a good way to detoxify the expenses issue.
  • Options

1st?

(edit)

And your point is...?

I would love to be in a job where I earn 60K!
  • Options
    JackW said:

JackW said:

Beat that

JackW was elected by the PB masses and will not be usurped in some shabby coup de theatre !!

Condemned by the Court of Public Opinion, Jack.

Face it. You're all washed up.
  • Options
    Indigo said:

Roger said:

Anorak

Do we want ordinary people with ordinary levels of vision and understand framing the laws by which we live, and being even more house-trained by the civil service than the current shower, being even less capable of scrutinising the self-serving bullshit that the mandarins want to pass in to law ? I would hope we could attract exceptional people to run the country, and exceptional people will demand exceptional compensation, or they will work for the private sector.
    Plenty of exceptional people would be perfectly happy on 70k a year. I would think the bigger issue would be the lifestyle of being an MP - unsocial hours, at Westminster during the week, in their constituency at weekends etc.
  • Options
    Indigo said:

Roger said:

Anorak

In which case, just pay much higher salaries to MPs.
  • Options
    isam said:

As for the other 90% of the population, I am sure they would love to earn 60k plus exes

Surprising then that non of them stand to be an MP then isn't it?
  • Options

1st?

(edit)

We have to be realistic about these things. If second jobs are banned, then MPs will want a very big pay rise.

• Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    edited February 2015
    I have no problem with 2nd jobs as long as any conflicts of interest are registered / stated AND most importantly that they fit it around being an MP.

I think it is perfectly fine to be working on your 2nd job early in the mornings / late at night / weekends, around the business of parliament..and as long as you still make time for constituents. There are plenty of normal people who do this, either trying to setup a little side business, from ebay selling to being a landlord etc.

One of the highest earning MPs is a lawyer, who co-founded a chambers. Should he be forced to remove himself from anything to do with what is a successful business, that seems very short sighted, but I maybe he should take a bit more of a back seat.

Another thought...if totally banned, we would basically be enforcing MPs to suffer a similar issue to women who take career breaks to have children. Those that take a total break for 5-10 years, many find it very difficult to get back into their former profession at the same level they were previously. If MPs are able to "keep their hand in", hopefully they should be able to return to that profession (but for that, maybe we should cut their very generous payoff).
  • Options

Indigo said:

Roger said:

Anorak

Plenty of exceptional people would be perfectly happy on 70k a year. I would think the bigger issue would be the lifestyle of being an MP - unsocial hours, at Westminster during the week, in their constituency at weekends etc.

The unsocial hours have developed to fit in with the needs of people who have second jobs. Court in the morning, the Commons in the afternoon, for example.

• Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,891

"Post of the day."

Post of the day was Isam's 'What's the speed limit under Sharia Law'
  • Options
    edited February 2015

1st?

(edit)

And your point is...?

I would love to be in a job where I earn 60K!
    What constituency will you be throwing your hat in then?
  • Options
    Anorak said:

My (intense) irritation stems from the fact that this behaviour is all that Ed does. Hop from populist bandwagon to bandwagon to bandwagon. I honestly can't think of another politician so egregiously opportunistic to the detriment of his constituents and the country (and his party, in the long-term). Certainly not one who's been a leader of a major party.

Yes, that is an absolutely key point. Of course, in opposition such an approach makes sense, especially if you're miles behind. But these guys are in a position where they might actually be in government in 10 weeks' time. I have never, in 50 years of following politics, known anything like this degree of unpreparedness in an opposition which looked as though it had a chance of winning, nor such a weak Shadow Cabinet. They are not even making a token effort to look like a party of government. It's absolutely extraordinary, and something Labour supporters should be terrified of: what if Ed is as vacuous as he seems?
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

1st?

(edit)

We have to be realistic about these things. If second jobs are banned, then MPs will want a very big pay rise.

I have no problem with that. But being an MP is about public service. It can also be something you do for a few years, not for life.

• Options

Sean_F said:

1st?

(edit)

I have no problem with that. But being an MP is about public service. It can also be something you do for a few years, not for life.

Especially if you're a Scottish Lab/Lib MP currently ;-)
  • Options
    FensterFenster Posts: 2,115
    Most people underestimate the quality of our MPs.

You only had to listen to a snippet of Natalie Bennett's performance yesterday (and I felt a bit sorry for her) to understand the gulf in class between inexperienced politicians like her and the premier league bunch in the Commons.

Cameron and Miliband barely ever put a foot wrong. And look at Blair under the most menacing pressure over Iraq; he was - whether you agree with him or not - faultless in defence of his actions.

Imagine how clever, quick-witted and abreast of detail the top politicians are, compared to the average Joe. If I were an MP Youtube would be filled with my gaffes and people would be laughing at me. Yet I could earn £60k if I dragged a few big commissions in. And politicians are worth more than I am.
  • Options
    philiphphiliph Posts: 4,704
    edited February 2015
    Pay a new MP the higher of the rate of around 60k or if they enter parliament from a paid position match the salary they had in employment for 2 parliaments. Remove the barrier to successful people from a working, union or charity background at the expense of full time politicians.

Not all mps will be paid the same. Tough.

• Options
    The median salary is what? About £23k? £25k? Many people will spend a few thousand a year on commuting to work from where they live and perhaps have other costs MPs have taken care of. .
  • Options

Sean_F said:

1st?

(edit)

So restricting the potential pool of MPS to the small number of people who have either finished their careers or are independently wealthy so they do not have to worry about taking several years out of their career to go and be an MP.

No one wants career politicians who have never had a proper job but your suggestion will mean far more if our elected representatives are just that.
  • Options
    IndigoIndigo Posts: 9,966

Sean_F said:

1st?

(edit)

The tricky bit to negotiate is if we force MPs to give up their current position, will many of them be able to get back into their chosen profession 5-10 years later when their party next gets kicked out ? If people think they wont be able to get back into their job, they wont leave in the first place. We whine from time to time about the lack of scientific and technical knowledge in the Commons, and yet scientific and tech skills, especially IT skills, will be totally obsolete after being out of the field for 5 years.
  • Options
    SmarmeronSmarmeron Posts: 5,099
    @philiph
    What you appear to be saying, is that the wealthy should be given more because they are wealthy?
    I strongly suspect that you might be a conservative voter.
  • Options

JackW said:

JackW said:

Beat that

Condemned by the Court of Public Opinion, Jack.

Face it. You're all washed up.
    How very dare you madam.

I fear you're still suffering post traumatic election disorder after I crushed you to the TOTYship in a landslide victory of one vote.

• Options
    On MP's pay...
    We elect people to high office to govern us, to shape our laws and represent our interests in the Mother of all Parliaments (tm)... We expect superior moral standards (that we would not hold ourselves to), absolute financial probity, and squeaky clean lifestyles.

Isn't it a bit surprising then that we value the role at such a low level compared to other "senior" roles?
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    @SophyRidgeSky: Interesting chat with Conservative MP in a marginal seat earlier who claims UKIP are "detoxifying" the Tories
  • Options

Indigo said:

Roger said:

Anorak

In which case, just pay much higher salaries to MPs.
    And so we end up with a load of nodding dogs, paid far, far, more than they're actually worth? No thank you.
  • Options
    CD13 said:

Isam,

"Labour councillors in rotherham have tried that, but i think it helped them sweep stuff under the carpet."

Post of the day.

Thank you! I am 2/2 in jokes cracked that went down well today, yourself and Rodge the Dodge...maybe time to stop!

#leavethemlaughing
  • Options
    Fenster said:

You only had to listen to a snippet of Natalie Bennett's performance yesterday (and I felt a bit sorry for her) to understand the gulf in class between inexperienced politicians like her and the premier league bunch in the Commons.

Cameron and Miliband barely ever put a foot wrong. And look at Blair under the most menacing pressure over Iraq; he was - whether you agree with him or not - faultless in defence of his actions.

Imagine how clever, quick-witted and abreast of detail the top politicians are, compared to the average Joe. If I were an MP Youtube would be filled with my gaffes and people would be laughing at me. Yet I could earn £60k if I dragged a few big commissions in. And politicians are worth more than I am.

How much of today's lobby fodder do you think approach a Blair, or even a Dave'n'Ed standard?
  • Options

Sean_F said:

1st?

(edit)

So restricting the potential pool of MPS to the small number of people who have either finished their careers or are independently wealthy so they do not have to worry about taking several years out of their career to go and be an MP.

No one wants career politicians who have never had a proper job but your suggestion will mean far more if our elected representatives are just that.

As noted below 90% of the population earns less than MPs get - and there are very many exceptional, highly intelligent people among them. The issue is not pay, it is how parties go about recruiting candidates. That's where the problem lies. It is why, for example, we do not have many more working class MPs, who certainly would not be unhappy with a salary of £60,000 a year, plus expenses.

• Options
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,125
    Roger said:

"Post of the day."

Make it 120 and you'd have Mohamed Clarkson.....

• Options
    Indigo said:

Sean_F said:

1st?

(edit)

The tricky bit to negotiate is if we force MPs to give up their current position, will many of them be able to get back into their chosen profession 5-10 years later when their party next gets kicked out ? If people think they wont be able to get back into their job, they wont leave in the first place. We whine from time to time about the lack of scientific and technical knowledge in the Commons, and yet scientific and tech skills, especially IT skills, will be totally obsolete after being out of the field for 5 years.

But under the current system where MPs can have second jobs we do not have those scientists and IT people.

Maybe we should do this: if being an MP is your only job, you get paid; if it isn't, you don't.

• Options
    richardDoddrichardDodd Posts: 5,472
    MPs ..like everyone else, should be able to take a second job.. as long as it does not impede on the functioning of the first one....MPs have rights too.
  • Options

Indigo said:

Roger said:

Anorak

What 'unsocial hours'? They're no longer debating late into the night, and MP's are required to be in the HoC even less these days, to allow them more time in their constituencies.
  • Options

isam said:

Surprising then that non of them stand to be an MP then isn't it?
    I reckon plenty do, maybe they just don't get elected/don't have party machine behind them
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    edited February 2015

As noted below 90% of the population earns less than MPs get - and there are very many exceptional, highly intelligent people among them. The issue is not pay, it is how parties go about recruiting candidates. That's where the problem lies. It is why, for example, we do not have many more working class MPs, who certainly would not be unhappy with a salary of £60,000 a year, plus expenses.

It is not just working class, it is local people as well. Just look at the Labour PPC today, dropped in from being a London Councillor (and of course it isn't just Labour doing this). I wouldn't support any rules on locality, but it does seem like we have got away from the idea of an elected representative to knows and understands your local community to speak for your interests in parliament.
  • Options
    Nitpicking but I understand it is actually £67k. In most parts of Britain that is an awful lot of money. Of course in London it's not going to buy you much property-wise. Another reason for the disillusionment on both sides of this. Economically speaking, we just aren't one nation any more.
  • Options

Sean_F said:

1st?

(edit)

Especially if you're a Scottish Lab/Lib MP currently ;-)
    Bah! Excellent native PB Tory wit!
    [whack!]
  • Options
    Roger said:

"Post of the day."

Oh stop! I only come here for the insults!
  • Options

MPs ..like everyone else, should be able to take a second job.. as long as it does not impede on the functioning of the first one....MPs have rights too.

Agree 100%

Trouble is, too many people see the job of being an MP as being full-time, i.e. 24x7..
    Free time? Shurley shome mishtake...
  • Options
    richardDoddrichardDodd Posts: 5,472
    Roger "Whats the speed limit under Sharia law"...depends on how fast your donkey can walk.
  • Options

It is not just working class, it is local people as well. Just look at the Labour PPC today, dropped in from being a London Councillor (and of course it isn't just Labour doing this). I wouldn't support any rules on locality, but it does seem like we have got away from the idea of an elected representative to knows and understands your local community to speak for your interests in parliament.

Agreed. The quality or not of the MPs we have is not determined by pay or the ability to have a second job, it is about getting good people to stand as candidates in the first place. The Tories were onto something with their open primaries and seem to have got one really good MP out of it (who may or may not second job, I don't know). That's what we need to be seeing a lot more of. If people felt the calibre of MP was up to scratch, they probably would not think twice about what they earned or whether they second jobbed.

• Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633

Indigo said:

Roger said:

Anorak

What 'unsocial hours'? They're no longer debating late into the night, and MP's are required to be in the HoC even less these days, to allow them more time in their constituencies.
    When is Ed going to start his 2nd job - you know the leader of the opposition one.. ?
  • Options
    edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,150
    edited February 2015
    I want to know what genius persuaded the press to call these jobs "outside interests", as if they're going to painting classes or something. It has to be the greatest British euphemism since "powder my nose".
  • Options
    edited February 2015

Agreed. The quality or not of the MPs we have is not determined by pay or the ability to have a second job, it is about getting good people to stand as candidates in the first place. The Tories were onto something with their open primaries and seem to have got one really good MP out of it (who may or may not second job, I don't know). That's what we need to be seeing a lot more of. If people felt the calibre of MP was up to scratch, they probably would not think twice about what they earned or whether they second jobbed.

I agree, mostly...

But I still value the job of being an MP higher than it currently is.
  • Options
    FalseFlagFalseFlag Posts: 1,801
    Scott_P said:

@SophyRidgeSky: Interesting chat with Conservative MP in a marginal seat earlier who claims UKIP are "detoxifying" the Tories

That would be why they are polling higher than in 2010.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,997
    Another ill-thought through Labour policy. Why, oh, why. Are they trying to lose?
  • Options

I want to know what genius persuaded the press to call these jobs "outside interests", as if they're going to painting classes or something. It has to be the greatest British euphemism since "powder my nose".

Because that is what Parliament calls it...

Most recent Register of Interests (PDF)
  • Options
    What's the speed limit under Sharia law? Obviously it depends. In most built-up areas it's 30 mph, or 0 mph for women.
  • Options
    The register is very interesting reading...

• Options

That narrows the pool of suspects down a bit, but doesn't really alter the most likely candidates...
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,125
    I detect a certain spiteful tone in the response of voters. They don't want MPs to have a full-time job. They want them to have an all-time job, on call 24 hours a day.

As long as MPs are available to meet all their voting and committee obligations, that should be our primary concern. MPs sloping off to have a meeting as a no-exec director for their #25k a year, instead of ironing the wrinkles out of a piece of complex tax legislation, that is clearly wrong. But if they go for meetings that means they catch a later train back to their constituency - is that so bad? In my book no, if we get a better all-round MP from it.

And whether an MP has enough surgeries for constituents is for their voters decide - if no, they will get booted out.
  • Options

I put myself forward to stand for UKIP in Islington South and Finsbury Borough, and one of the main reasons I pulled out was that I saw the other candidates (Thornberry aside) were actually from the area and I would be just doing it because I am interested in politics. The Labour candidate in Thurrock get absolutely ripped for being an Islington set type, and I would be been just the same in reverse

Obviously UKIp aren't big in Islington so I would've been a paper candidate but going through the motions is a bit crap when you know you cant win and if everyone was going to be calling me Hitler and making smart arse lefty remarks I was big odds on to make a gafferooni!
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,071

I agree, mostly...

But I still value the job of being an MP higher than it currently is.
    Having been an MP has a monetary value that is not just measured in terms of the salary/pensions you received. It's not necessary to raise the pay in order to recognise the value of the job.

It's worth noting that in the private sector some very strong brands actually pay less than their peers and people are willing to work for less than they could get elsewhere because of the long-term career value of having worked at firm xyz.
  • Options

1st?

(edit)

And is also very, very substantially less than what MPs actually do make.

Add in the extras for sitting on committees, the BTL opportunity, the 5-year contract with a guaranteed redundancy payout, the gilt-edged 1/40th final salary pension, the unreceipted cash "food allowance", the unreceipted travel expenses, and the opportunity to spend your office allowance employing your family in jobs you didn't advertise and for which they have not competed, and you're looking probably at a package that £300kpa wouldn't buy you in the private sector.

This is for a job for which no skills are required. Sure, as in all jobs, some skills might be useful, but none are required in the strict sense, i.e. that you can't stand without having them; see Emily Wedgwood-Benn, who stood aged 18 last time.

Passing over the nepotism issue there, it is clear that Labour would not have stood a patently unqualified candidate. So it's clearly the case that an 18 year old who's just left school is adequately qualified - which rather knackers MPs' frequent claim that they're not paid what they're worth. The job content is somewhere between paralegal and junior social worker, and the market value of an MP may be minimum wage.

Personally I'd rather MPs were paid say 150% of their earnings over the 2 prior years. Emily Benn would then have received about £13.50 an hour, while Nick Palmer would have earned £135,000, so that we pay for the experience they bring. Expenses, of course, would be met based on receipts.
  • Options
    FensterFenster Posts: 2,115
    edited February 2015

Fenster said:

How much of today's lobby fodder do you think approach a Blair, or even a Dave'n'Ed standard?
    Off the top of my head, at GE2010 Tory newcomers included Sarah Woolaston, Dominic Raab, Savid Javid, Liz Truss and Anna "san*timonious" Soubry. These people are fecking quality.

Labour took in Stella Creasy and Chuka Umunna (I'm not so up with Labour MPs), again, quality people.

I doubt, percentage-wise, there is much dross in parliament, though I might be wrong.

I suspect if I tried to become an MP for a top party I wouldn't have a cat in hell's chance. Just not good enough.

ps - have you ever read Alan Clark's books? On becoming a minister he describes the mind-bending workload, portentously questioning whether it would lead him to a brain tumour. It's very off-putting for anybody who fancies entering parliament. For £60k too?! Screw that.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,001

That narrows the pool of suspects down a bit, but doesn't really alter the most likely candidates...
    Danny Alexander gets money from The Ministry of Sound
  • Options

And whether an MP has enough surgeries for constituents is for their voters decide - if no, they will get booted out.

I wonder what proportion of MPs actually win or lose an election based on whether they did enough for their constituents. I know it makes a difference at the margins, but most constituencies aren't marginal...
  • Options
    There's also the issue of public sector pension generosity. Those in proiate sector employment need a substantially higher pay level to be able to retire at the same level. And generally job security is alot better - although clearly not for many MPs!
This discussion has been closed.