Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Anybody thinking of betting on the Greens ought to listen f

2»

Comments

• Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,023

Pulpstar said:

Shadsy's list of possible for Kensington is, to put it politely, not very good (well, I suppose it might be good for extracting money from gullible punters).

It will be someone on the candidates' list, who has been a runner-up in one of the other safe seats but is still available and still doing the rounds. Names like Suella Fernandes, Helen Whately, Nick Rose, Laura Trott, who are all standing in the current round of selection meetings. As a wild guess I'd suggest Suella, assuming she doesn't get selected for Fareham on Saturday.

Trott the cyclist ?
    Andrew Strauss?????
    Strauss would be a good pick I think.

I reckon Sir Malcolm made the right choice going quickly. Well Lynton no doubt told him to leap - but though he didn't break the rules bragging about how much free time he had and the whole entitlement narrative is really something the Tories could do without right now.

• Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,673
    edited February 2015
    Neil said:

It will be someone on the candidates' list, who has been a runner-up in one of the other safe seats but is still available and still doing the rounds. Names like Suella Fernandes, Helen Whately, Nick Rose, Laura Trott, who are all standing in the current round of selection meetings. As a wild guess I'd suggest Suella, assuming she doesn't get selected for Fareham on Saturday.

There must be a chance that the K&C association reverts to form and goes for someone a bit more, er, interesting than the above list.
    Joanna Cash?

Or how about Brian Coleman?
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 41,037
    edited February 2015
    Dair said:

isam said:

Neil said:

isam said:

Neil said:

I've never been her biggest fan (I have absolutely no idea how she won the leadership election, 4th place in the London Assembly list the year before seemed much more her level) but I really cant see this having any impact. I remain confident in all my Green party bets (some of those are to do well while others arent). I would guess that the Greens will stand c. 600 candidates in May based on previous estimates and the recent crowdfunder.

She just said 509?
    Caroline Lucas said 500 before the crowdfunder raised enough money to stand 100+ more. 509 doesnt ring true as it is ridiculously specific when noone really knows which constituencies will get their acts together in time between now and the close of nominations.

She also said the citizens income will be in the manifesto,,, didn't you say it wouldn't?
    Very glad to see it being kept.

It is by far the best policy the Greens have and the only attempt any of the mainstream parties have to address the Marx Capitalism problem (inevitable diminution of wages, in case your wondering).
    Very clever, you sound ever so well informed (in case your wondering what I thought)

• Options
    More help from an unhelpful source:

Paul Waugh ‏@paulwaugh · 38s38 seconds ago
    Jeffrey Archer tells BBC Radio 5 live he feels “immense sympathy” for Straw +
    Rifkind.
  • Options
    Isn't K&C the perfect seat for Boris to do two jobs from?
  • Options
    DairDair Posts: 6,108
    edited February 2015

Alistair said:

Scott_P said:

Neil said:

She won the leadership election under AV so perhaps there's a lesson there...

That AV is the worst electoral system ever devised by man, and Tories should be congratulated warmly for killing it off for a generation?
    Don't the Tories elect their leader via a variation of AV?
    No they don't! Did we not write reams and reams about this back in 2011???
    This is why we need a thread on AV next week.

Don't you all agree ?
    Only if it is called what it is - single outcome STV. When you use that descriptor you pretty much implies everything which is wrong with it.
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,291
    Have the odds changed on The Greens having a new leader after the 2015 General Election?
  • Options
    NeilNeil Posts: 7,983
    dr_spyn said:

Have the odds changed on The Greens having a new leader after the 2015 General Election?

No. They were zero and they remain zero. Bennett was re-elected (unopposed) last Autumn and will remain leader until 2016.
  • Options

Neil said:

There must be a chance that the K&C association reverts to form and goes for someone a bit more, er, interesting than the above list.
    Joanna Cash?

Mrs Bone !
  • Options
    antifrank said:

More help from an unhelpful source:

Paul Waugh ‏@paulwaugh · 38s38 seconds ago
    Jeffrey Archer tells BBC Radio 5 live he feels “immense sympathy” for Straw +
    Rifkind.

Straw had Blair's full sympathy yesterday.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Neil said:

Joanna Cash?

Mrs Bone !
    Sadly she is fighting cancer.
  • Options
    "It's funny how people can so easily shift from being sick and tired of career politicians, schooled to deflect and lie can suddenly turn to completely agreeing with the sort of bullying interviewing lacking any inquisitiveness which creates the career politicians in the first place."

I agree with all of your post but especially this.

This is what you want, this is what you get.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,115
    Is there a bright young Tory MP on a wafer thin majority who might decide (be encouraged) to switch? A bit like David Amess did, although I don't think one of my adjectives ever applied to him, and the other doesn't now!
  • Options
    Neil said:

dr_spyn said:

No. They were zero and they remain zero. Bennett was re-elected (unopposed) last Autumn and will remain leader until 2016.
    Bennett has an option to resign with a conference in two weeks allowing a replacement. She looked ready to burst into tears against JoCo of all people, Perhaps it would be the kindest outcome.
  • Options
    Hmm not sure Sir Malcolm is striking quite the right tone...

Though I did nothing wrong, I made an error of judgement" is better than a plain I did nothing wrong.
  • Options
    isam said:

I managed 2:03 of the interview but stopped listening out of kindness

Lucas isn't my cup of tea with her sanctimonious simperings, but she does at least come across better

Met Lucas in Brighton about five years ago and said well done to her for giving james Delingpole a dressing down on daily politics.. How times change

It reminded of Dragons' Den, where a poor chump mangles their figures in front of the Dragons and gets torn to pieces.
  • Options
    William Hill make it 9/2 that GRN leader, Natalie Bennett, will stand down before GE15
    http://goo.gl/jBN1WA
  • Options
    FTSE in record territory. Will it beat highest close?
  • Options
    MarkHopkinsMarkHopkins Posts: 5,584
    Despite the embarrassment, Joey Jones thinks all is not lost for the Greens.

"It's very difficult from her point of view, but I would make one point: ultimately, people who are inclined to vote Green, and there are a lot more of them than we've seen in the past, are not doing so because they think their sums add up.

"They're voting on principle and some are voting as a protest, and they may well do that no matter how many bad interviews Natalie Bennett has in her locker."
    (my bold)

http://news.sky.com/story/1433260/green-leader-gives-excruciating-interview

• Options
    welshowlwelshowl Posts: 4,460
    Dair said:

isam said:

Neil said:

isam said:

Neil said:

I've never been her biggest fan (I have absolutely no idea how she won the leadership election, 4th place in the London Assembly list the year before seemed much more her level) but I really cant see this having any impact. I remain confident in all my Green party bets (some of those are to do well while others arent). I would guess that the Greens will stand c. 600 candidates in May based on previous estimates and the recent crowdfunder.

She just said 509?
    Caroline Lucas said 500 before the crowdfunder raised enough money to stand 100+ more. 509 doesnt ring true as it is ridiculously specific when noone really knows which constituencies will get their acts together in time between now and the close of nominations.

She also said the citizens income will be in the manifesto,,, didn't you say it wouldn't?
    Very glad to see it being kept.

It is by far the best policy the Greens have and the only attempt any of the mainstream parties have to address the Marx Capitalism problem (inevitable diminution of wages, in case your wondering).
    What's their citizenship policy though? I understand they more or less want a free for all on immigration (which is not quite the same as citizenship - but hardly tallies with how we're going to use less resources on a crowded island does it?). No point giving a citizen's income if you're also going hand passports out big time too. Or are there other qualifications?
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

Neil said:

Joanna Cash?

Mrs Bone !
    Oh I fought she'd recovered. Hopefully she will.
  • Options

Eek. Thankfully Natalie Bennett was not appearing on Mastermind, as she’s er, not exactly au fait with her chosen subject.

I recall a fair few contestants getting only 4 or 5 questions right in the most recent Mastermind series.
    Last week I answered 3 general knowledge questions on the trot, nearly fell of my chair with shock. – I doubt that will happen again for a long time to come.
  • Options
    CD13CD13 Posts: 6,352
    Easterross,

"the ghastly woman will get the leftie feminist sympathy vote." She gets my sympathy. If she was better looking, I'd vote for her, but I suspect the leftie feminists wouldn't have me.

I'm all in favour of non-politicians being elected although a degree of numeracy would help. Ed's magic money tree is hardly the height of financial probity, is it? Cameron isn't one for details, and Ukip are still deciding what they are. So who to vote for?

I'd go back to the LDs if it wasn't for them having their tongue stuck up the posterior of EU political union.
  • Options

William Hill make it 9/2 that GRN leader, Natalie Bennett, will stand down before GE15

No chance.

Besides, have you seen our deputy leaders?

(I probably shouldnt have said that...)

• Options
    Mr. Hopkins, I think Jones is right. However, the interview won't exactly be helpful.
  • Options
    Looks like everyone is sticking the boot in on Bennett:

Natalie Bennett: The 8 worst car crash political interviews ever

After the Green Party leader's excruciating performance on LBC - here's some more embarrassing gaffes and awkward silences (Bennett is the only one to appear twice).

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/natalie-bennett-8-worst-car-5221364
  • Options

"It's very difficult from her point of view, but I would make one point: ultimately, people who are inclined to vote Green, and there are a lot more of them than we've seen in the past, are not doing so because they think their sums add up.

"They're voting on principle and some are voting as a protest, and they may well do that no matter how many bad interviews Natalie Bennett has in her locker."
    (my bold)

I may well vote Green. The performance of the leader between now and the election will almost certainly be completely irrelevant to my decision.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,474
    edited February 2015
    Dair said:

It's funny how people can so easily shift from being sick and tired of career politicians, schooled to deflect and lie can suddenly turn to completely agreeing with the sort of bullying interviewing lacking any inquisitiveness which creates the career politicians in the first place.

Bennett is hardly the best but there seems little point in doing what JoCo did and repeatedly ask the same question when it's been given a pretty succinct and clear answer. Figures will come in March. But JoCo isn't interested in informing the audience just trying to monster a (admittedly easy) target.

Perhaps the funniest part is how the career politicians in the Labour party are allowed to get away with not actually having any figures and not intending to have any figures. And Labour gets away with it time and time again.

As has been demonstrated, people _do_ want slick politicians. They are shocked when they don't get them. Farage/BoJo are _super_ slick politicians and hence are liked even more.

What people don't want is normal people. For better or for worse (pace. W Churchill re democracy), our system invites and promotes self-promoters who believe, initially, that their vision will make the world a better place but who also, crucially, understand that politics is the art of achieving the best outcome possible not the best possible outcome.

Ms Bennett has yet to learn this. Whether this will diminish her if she does learn it will be interesting to see.
  • Options
    edited February 2015
    welshowl said:

What's their citizenship policy though? I understand they more or less want a free for all on immigration (which is not quite the same as citizenship - but hardly tallies with how we're going to use less resources on a crowded island does it?). No point giving a citizen's income if you're also going hand passports out big time too. Or are there other qualifications?

I can't tell you what the Green Party policy is on eligibility as they won't be elected and I'm not here to defend them.

To work effectively, a Citizens Income (in an EU state) is based on residence with a minimum threshold. In a non-EU country you could use citizenship instead of residence but even then I would prefer residence to punish Ex-pats.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,229
    Neil said:

Nigella Lawson?

• Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,115
    edited February 2015

Eek. Thankfully Natalie Bennett was not appearing on Mastermind, as she’s er, not exactly au fait with her chosen subject.

I recall a fair few contestants getting only 4 or 5 questions right in the most recent Mastermind series.
    Last week I answered 3 general knowledge questions on the trot, nearly fell of my chair with shock. – I doubt that will happen again for a long time to come.
    I know it's on at a time when the workers, whether by hand or brain, are still hard at it, but the antidote to general knowledge quizzes is Pointless.
  • Options
    john_zimsjohn_zims Posts: 3,399
    @TSE

'For those unable to listen to the interview this picture gives you an idea of what happened. '

Just listened to interview, WTF car crash is very generous.

If that's what happens when a softy like Ferrari interviews her,for her own sake she should be kept away from Paxman.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 41,037
    edited February 2015
    It reads as bad as it sounds, but at least they added her apology and good on her for saying it too, a bit of fessing up/showing human side never goes down too badly

Coffee House (@Spectator_CH)
    24/02/2015 13:36
    Listen: two disastrous interviews by Natalie Bennett bit.ly/1Bl5lHE by @SebastianEPayne
  • Options
    SmarmeronSmarmeron Posts: 5,099
    @Eastwinger
    "FTSE in record territory. Will it beat highest close? "

It would be a fairly certain bet, with quantitative easing being used to inflate asset prices?
    Taking money from the masses to give the traders more money to bet with is apparently the height of sound economics.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

Neil said:

Joanna Cash?

Mrs Bone !
    Oh I fought she'd recovered. Hopefully she will.
    I googled it last week and couldn't find anything as she mentioned it in the BBC documentary on the Commons.
  • Options
    Dair said:

Neil said:

dr_spyn said:

Bennett has an option to resign with a conference in two weeks allowing a replacement.
    That's not my reading of the party's constitution.
  • Options
    Neil said:

No chance.

Then it's time you merged with the Scottish Greens so you could use Patrick Harvie, he is close to Salmond/Sturgeon level and far and away better than anyone else you will see in this campaign.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,474

Neil said:

Joanna Cash?

Dear God not Joanna Cash.
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,771
    Smarmeron said:

@Eastwinger
    "FTSE in record territory. Will it beat highest close? "

It would be a fairly certain bet, with quantitative easing being used to inflate asset prices?
    Taking money from the masses to give the traders more money to bet with is apparently the height of sound economics.

that sounds racist
  • Options
    Dair said:

Neil said:

No chance.

Then it's time you merged with the Scottish Greens so you could use Patrick Harvie, he is close to Salmond/Sturgeon level and far and away better than anyone else you will see in this campaign.
    Dair said:

Neil said:

No chance.

I like him but I think Caroline Lucas is better. We dont need to merge with the Scottish or Irish Greens to import talent. I'm afraid Bennett would probably have won a leadership election across all three parties. I consistently voted against having a leader!
  • Options
    john_zims said:

@TSE

'For those unable to listen to the interview this picture gives you an idea of what happened. '

Just listened to interview, WTF car crash is very generous.

If that's what happens when a softy like Ferrari interviews her,for her own sake she should be kept away from Paxman.

Paxman does not try to catch out someone with nothing to hide (one of the reasons he is a great interviewer). Bennett wasn't hiding anything, repeatedly asking something she's given a clear answer to is pointless.
  • Options
    @Alanbrooke
    I will bite, how is the statement racist?
  • Options
    Martin Selmayr retweeted

Valdis Dombrovskis ‏@VDombrovskis · 6m6 minutes ago
    Following #Eurogroup teleconference decision national procedures for extension of the Greek programme can begin #Greece

Martin Selmayr retweeted

Valdis Dombrovskis ‏@VDombrovskis · 4m4 minutes ago
    List of #Greece reform measures deemed sufficiently comprehensive to be a valid starting point for the successful conclusion of the review
  • Options
    antifrank said:

(my bold)

I may well vote Green. The performance of the leader between now and the election will almost certainly be completely irrelevant to my decision.
    Exactly. In fact half the Greens student voter audience will still have been in bed when all this happened.
  • Options
    Neil said:

Dair said:

Neil said:

No chance.

Dair said:

Neil said:

No chance.

I like him but I think Caroline Lucas is better. We dont need to merge with the Scottish or Irish Greens to import talent. I'm afraid Bennett would probably have won a leadership election across all three parties. I consistently voted against having a leader!
    Your previous responses did indicate a lack of talent and Lucas has made it very clear she doesn't want the job.
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,771
    Smarmeron said:

@Alanbrooke
    I will bite, how is the statement racist?

it isn't in the least but since everyone one else calls everyone else racist on PB these days I didn't want you to feel left out.
  • Options
    antifrank said:

(my bold)

That's very irresponsible of you, antifrank. Do you really want Natalie Bennett's finger on the nuclear... oh, carry on.
  • Options
    edited February 2015
    @Alanbrooke
    Thanks for the thought, but I have already been accused of that and more on this august organ.
  • Options
    welshowlwelshowl Posts: 4,460

(my bold)

Probably right. I'm sure a lot of people voting for them want a "total change" and aren't that interested in the minutiae of tax policy, land prices, quantity surveying, labour rates, and how that works for half a million social houses etc. In fairness though deep deep down they have a point in that we have (at present) one planet and 7,8,9 billion or whatever it is and if we end up doing a planetary wide Easter Island on ourselves we are all toast in the long run. Not me sure, I'll be long dead, but I think we can be a tad more altruistic than that as a species in this case.

However, even if you were back in your mythical "sustainable" iron age round house, there comes a point where even there the numbers have to add up. How much wattle and daub do we need? Where's the mud coming from? How do we grow the reeds? The Greens might do themselves a favour if they actually did look at the numbers a bit and see what might really work for the mainstream in the 21st century.
  • Options
    blackburn63blackburn63 Posts: 4,492
    Was Bennett as bad today as she was with Andrew Neil a couple of weeks ago? Even as a kipper I had to watch that from behind the settee, terrifying.
  • Options
    AnorakAnorak Posts: 6,621
    edited February 2015
    NEW THREAD
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,839
    @neil

>Secondly the Green party of England and Wales is only one of three in the UK. Surely the broadcasters have every right to invite the leader of either of the other parties to the debates? Please?

If you think that was a road accident, wait till they get the head honcho of Green Party Wales on, Pippa Bartolotti.

That is the one who drives a Jag, has an 'interesting' business background, has questioned the 'duak' loyalty of a Jewish ambassador of the UK to Israel and has spent time comparing Israel to Nazi Germany.

http://www.thejc.com/comment-and-debate/analysis/70782/beware-woman-who-bids-lead-greens

Would certainly be interesting.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758

Neil said:

Joanna Cash?

Oh God, no! Not Jo Cash! Even Brian Coleman would be a mercy by comparison...
This discussion has been closed.