Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Betting that Farage won’t do it in Thanet South is starting

124»

Comments

• Options
    TheWatcherTheWatcher Posts: 5,262
    Charles said:

I used to live in Kensington and we all agree I'd make a great MP

FWIW, I've lived in Kensington for 10 years and I have seen Malcolm precisely *once* in that time, despite playing a pretty active role in the local community.

He spends his weekends in Edinburgh.

I'd be glad to have a more committed MP.
    In fairness, he's in K&C for 5 days a week, as opposed to the 3/4 days that an out of town MP would spend in their constituency.
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633

Todays BJESUS

24.2.15 LAB 297 (295) CON 269(268) LD 30(29) UKIP 2(2) Others 52(56) (Ed is crap is PM)
    Last BJESUS in brackets Last weeks BJESUS in brackets
    BJESUS (Big John Election Service Uniform Swing) BJESUS (Big John Election Service Uniform Swing)
    Using current polling adjusted for 72 days left to go factor and using UKPR standard swingometer

Do I gather we've seen the last of JackW's ARSE?
    Is he banned for ever or just huffing ?
  • Options
    PurseybearPurseybear Posts: 766
    edited February 2015
    iSam yeah I get that & know where you're coming from which is more of a maths based value betting model. Mine's more cautious in that its to cover myself. Leastways this far out. This elections hard one & I've covered my position. I workaround if x, then y. So yours = maths mine = chess ;-) Two quick e.g.s but not the best -

a) stick with ukip. if they poll 4 seats or more i rate cons majority as minimal to nonexistent. So I look for value across those two different competing markets. Guess I need to edit & explain. Carswell, Reckless + Farage could just about still go with cons majority but even thats damned near unlikely. 4 ukip seats = bollox chance for tories because it = large ukip votes hurting tories. not an absolute but its a method that works ok for me.

b) if LDs under 20 seats cons majority looks good.

Fun bit comes putting a & b together - that's several chess moves ahead ;-)

In rush but you know what i mean. This elections about covering my position for now. Some variations = decent wins but others = modest. I know others'll punt much bolder but I don;t want to lose.
  • Options
    FinancierFinancier Posts: 3,916
    For those who may not have seen it, BP's Energy Outlook to 2035 is found and downloadable at:

http://www.bp.com/en/global/corporate/about-bp/energy-economics/energy-outlook/energy-outlook-downloads.html
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

Todays BJESUS

24.2.15 LAB 297 (295) CON 269(268) LD 30(29) UKIP 2(2) Others 52(56) (Ed is crap is PM)
    BJESUS (Big John Election Service Uniform Swing) BJESUS (Big John Election Service Uniform Swing)
    Using current polling adjusted for 72 days left to go factor and using UKPR standard swingometer

Why was he excluded?
  • Options
    I'm shocked that the Israelis would do this. Who does Bibi think he is ? Blair?

Binyamin Netanyahu’s dramatic declaration to world leaders in 2012 that Iran was about a year away from making a nuclear bomb was contradicted by his own secret service, according to a top-secret Mossad document.

It is part of a cache of hundreds of dossiers, files and cables from the world’s major intelligence services – one of the biggest spy leaks in recent times.

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2015/feb/23/leaked-spy-cables-netanyahu-iran-bomb-mossad
  • Options
    Charles said:

FWIW, I've lived in Kensington for 10 years and I have seen Malcolm precisely *once* in that time, despite playing a pretty active role in the local community.

They do say Sir Malcolm has a reputation for arrogance and aloofness that is well deserved.

Such as telling Dave he'd only serve in the Shadow Cabinet as Shadow Foreign Secretary.
  • Options
    Um, I studied and worked in Kensington for nigh on 10 years - does that count? :)
  • Options
    IndigoIndigo Posts: 9,966
    edited February 2015

I'm shocked that the Israelis would do this. Who does Bibi think he is ? Blair?

Binyamin Netanyahu’s dramatic declaration to world leaders in 2012 that Iran was about a year away from making a nuclear bomb was contradicted by his own secret service, according to a top-secret Mossad document.

It is part of a cache of hundreds of dossiers, files and cables from the world’s major intelligence services – one of the biggest spy leaks in recent times.

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2015/feb/23/leaked-spy-cables-netanyahu-iran-bomb-mossad

On a related note, I watched "CitizenFour" this afternoon, well worth the Oscar, and scary, you would think it was a Tom Clancy film and had to keep reminding yourself that it was a documentary, definitely worth watching if you haven't seen it. The most chilling bit, watching The Guardian destroying hard discs of leaked information effectively on the instructions of the British Government.
    https://citizenfourfilm.com/
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,380
    Charles said:

Why don't you have a go, Charles? We may disagree on occasion, but you'd clearly be pretty good.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 36,012

TGOHF said:

Todays BJESUS

Why was he excluded?
    I wasn't aware that he'd departed.

• Options
    **Crossover Post** ** Crossover Post** ** Crossover Post**

'
    '
    '
    '
    '
    '
    '
    '
    '

Only kidding! :lol::lol:

ELBOWing all four of yesterday's polls, Labour are 0.3% ahead, or 0.5% going by simple average

:):)
  • Options

eek said:

Juicy seat of Kensington up for grabs.

I bet Boris wishes he waited.....
    Uxbridge is perfectly safe
    Yeah but the restaurants aren't so good, and it's awfully far away.
    I think it will do Boris a lot of good to represent Uxbridge rather than Kensington. Both for his leadership/PM prospects, and for his waistline.

Elsewhere, nice to see Gayle cash in my tips. It took a little longer than I thought, but I wouldn't be surprised to see another double-hundred yet. 163.5 was a crazy line.
    Boris is the tories Kevin Pietersen. Brilliant and completely unsuitable as skipper.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,669
    edited February 2015
    JackW and LadyW are recuperating for a few weeks after watching Fifty Shades of Grey.

They went to the cinema expecting to see a film about Lady Jane Grey.
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,249

Cyclefree said:

Memo to Dave: If you're stuck for someone with local connections, I used to live in Kensington & Chelsea, and I've dined at Gordon Ramsay's and Daphne's.

I'll pass it on Richard. Best of luck

Pah! Time for a woman - someone who has lived a bit and worked a lot and doesn't come from the usual background and speaks languages other than English and doesn't talk the usual blather and bullsh*t that passes for politics in this country.

Hmm. If you became a prospective MP you would either fail immediately and disastrously or you would start blathering like the rest of them .....
    I suspect the former rather than the latter. But I have survived dealing with City spivs for more years than I care to remember so dealing with Parliamentary spivs should be a doddle. The issue will never arise because someone like me would never - in a million years - be chosen. All the parties seem to want pliable juniors, so over-educated that they have seemingly had all common-sense, scepticism and curiosity knocked out of them.

• Options

Charles said:

In fairness, he's in K&C for 5 days a week, as opposed to the 3/4 days that an out of town MP would spend in their constituency.
    Rifkind made it pretty clear he didn't consider himself to have a job, the salary wasn't even worth mentioning and didn't really even bother to do it. He clearly felt entitled to the seat, which to him was a necessary platform for himself as an elder statesman to pursue other activities of more interest to him.

It's that sort of arrogance that exemplifies why the public hold their elected representatives in such low regard - particularly the Conservatives. I suspect this was just as damaging to his reputation and career as the business pitch, if not more so.
  • Options
    richardDoddrichardDodd Posts: 5,472
    I lived in Chelsea for over 20years..about 30 yards from the Conservative offices..I saw more of Portillo than any other MP..
  • Options

JackW and LadyW are recuperating for a few weeks after watching Fifty Shades of Grey.

Is it true that Jack was a witness to her execution?
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,669
    edited February 2015

eek said:

I think it will do Boris a lot of good to represent Uxbridge rather than Kensington. Both for his leadership/PM prospects, and for his waistline.

Elsewhere, nice to see Gayle cash in my tips. It took a little longer than I thought, but I wouldn't be surprised to see another double-hundred yet. 163.5 was a crazy line.
    Boris is the tories Kevin Pietersen. Brilliant and completely unsuitable as skipper.
    Balderdash, Boris is the Tory Andrew Strauss

Tony Blair was like Robin Smith, stunning average/majorities at the start of his career, but his career was fatally damaged by spin.
  • Options

My Italian aunt and uncle (a more respectable couple you could hardly hope to meet) went to see "Last Tango in Paris" imagining it to be a romantic drama.

My Cumbrian in-laws who loved cowboy films (John Wayne was a particular favourite) never quite recovered from seeing "Midnight Cowboy" in the Brewery Arts Centre in Kendal.

• Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758

MaxPB said:

eek said:

They've got a Nando's.
    What more could a man ask for...

Well, if your chosen profession is in advertising, a 'Patisserie Valerie' at the very least.. ; )
    They have one of those...
  • Options

I lived in Chelsea for over 20years..about 30 yards from the Conservative offices..I saw more of Portillo than any other MP..

To be fair, you would do given his constituency is right next door to Westminster.

I expect there are dozens of MPs who 'live' in the K&C Mon-Fri. I don't think the local MP deserves plaudits just because he does the same.
  • Options
    Douglas Hurd has just 'scraped the car' in an interview about Rifkind on Radio 5.
  • Options
    I'm puzzled by this oft-heard claim that graduates with 2:1 degrees in things like history can't get jobs. If they're from a decent university and they can pass a maths test of roughly 11+ standard, I'm gagging for them.
  • Options

I'm puzzled by this oft-heard claim that graduates with 2:1 degrees in things like history can't get jobs. If they're from a decent university and they can pass a maths test of roughly 11+ standard, I'm gagging for them.

I got a 2:1 and I passed my 11+ :)
  • Options

Charles said:

Rifkind made it pretty clear he didn't consider himself to have a job, the salary wasn't even worth mentioning and didn't really even bother to do it. He clearly felt entitled to the seat, which to him was a necessary platform for himself as an elder statesman to pursue other activities of more interest to him.

It's that sort of arrogance that exemplifies why the public hold their elected representatives in such low regard - particularly the Conservatives. I suspect this was just as damaging to his reputation and career as the business pitch, if not more so.
    Kensington's perhaps one of the few constituencies where people don't expect their MP to do very much locally.
  • Options

Charles said:

But how much of that is he working for me vs. for himself?

Anyway he flies to Scotland on a Thursday night and doesn't come back until Monday lunchtime...
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

My Italian aunt and uncle (a more respectable couple you could hardly hope to meet) went to see "Last Tango in Paris" imagining it to be a romantic drama.

Ha Ha. Did they make it to the end of the film?

• Options

Charles said:

They do say Sir Malcolm has a reputation for arrogance and aloofness that is well deserved.

Such as telling Dave he'd only serve in the Shadow Cabinet as Shadow Foreign Secretary.
    They do indeed say that.

I'm not his biggest fan but, say what you like about Ken Clarke, he mucks in, serves where he's asked and is loyal to the Conservative Party.
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

My Cumbrian in-laws who loved cowboy films (John Wayne was a particular favourite) never quite recovered from seeing "Midnight Cowboy" in the Brewery Arts Centre in Kendal.

A friend of mine and her parents still haven't recovered from the first time they sat down and all watched the first episode of Spartacus: Blood and Sand, thinking it was a documentary series.

I had a similar experience with the second series of Strike Back, the first series was violent and had bad language but ok for watching with your parents.

Second series I said to my parents, it is set in Pakistan. Every episode had gratuitious nudity and sex scenes.
  • Options

Charles said:

It was his statement that his background and education somehow entitled him to have a certain income that did it for me. There is an entitlement culture amongst some at the top quite as repellent as that found elsewhere in society.

• Options

Charles said:

I got to know him when my sister was in the City of Edinburgh Guard.

Nice guy, but austere and can come across as aloof.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,184

OT Dan Hannan draws the obvious conclusions about the Greek climbdown and the implications for Cameron's 'renegotiation'.

The only bit he gets wrong is the idea that Cameron will be conned. He will be an active participant in the attempts to con the British public.

http://www.capx.co/defeat-of-varoufakis-will-embolden-the-eurocrats-to-con-cameron/

There is a fundamental difference though. If Greece defaults in a disorderly manner on its debts, then the new Drachma would fall 50% against the Euro and the Dollar, and the price of basic commodities such as petrol would double. People on fixed incomes would be hammered, and many Greek companies would find themselves with an unpleasant mismatch: assets in Drachmas, liabilities in Euros. Finally, there is no doubt that the IMF - which is steeling itself for a wave of LatAm defaults this year - will be in no mood to let Greece of lightly. Its access to capital markets would be non-existent, and it would likely lurch into an (another) economic collapse.

The troika, then, held all the negotiating cards. Greece had no leverage. And this is not just about the EU and the other European countries, the IMF is also sitting at the negotiating table.

None of these things are true for the UK.
  • Options
    edited February 2015

Charles said:

Why don't you have a go, Charles? We may disagree on occasion, but you'd clearly be pretty good.
    As I said a couple of threads ago, I was required to choose between politics and finance in my early 20s...

edit: appreciate the compliment, though.
  • Options

Cyclefree said:

I was a child at the time so not allowed to ask too many questions, not on this topic anyway. But I think they did.........

• Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,380
    Cyclefree said:

I suspect the former rather than the latter. But I have survived dealing with City spivs for more years than I care to remember so dealing with Parliamentary spivs should be a doddle. The issue will never arise because someone like me would never - in a million years - be chosen. All the parties seem to want pliable juniors, so over-educated that they have seemingly had all common-sense, scepticism and curiosity knocked out of them.

Flattered to be considered a junior. When do you reckon one graduates to middle age? :-)
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,916
    Completely off-topic, I'm getting an advert on this site from Sporting Index who claim to be "sponsoring politicalbetting.com's 2015 General Election coverage".

Not entirely sure what that means and not really bothered but if Sporting Index are prepared to stump I'd like to think we could have a decent GE gathering - not stuck in some basement playing with our spreads (so to speak).

I don't want to lay spreads - I want a nice spread laid on - nice hot food buffet and a free bar. On that basis, I might even sign up with them.

The best pb gatherings were on the terrace of the National Liberal Club - even the Tories enjoyed it even though they had to walk past the statue of Gladstone (another to "rat")
  • Options

Cyclefree said:

A friend of mine and her parents still haven't recovered from the first time they sat down and all watched the first episode of Spartacus: Blood and Sand, thinking it was a documentary series.

I had a similar experience with the second series of Strike Back, the first series was violent and had bad language but ok for watching with your parents.

Second series I said to my parents, it is set in Pakistan. Every episode had gratuitious nudity and sex scenes.
    Watching sex scenes in the presence of one's parents is acutely embarrassing.

• Options
    stodge said:

The best pb gatherings were on the terrace of the National Liberal Club - even the Tories enjoyed it even though they had to walk past the statue of Gladstone (another to "rat")

You do realise that Gladstone would be a Thatcherite these days?
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

Cyclefree said:

Even worse for me.

I've only ever had one conversation about sex with my parents.

Just before I went to uni and they reminded I should remain chaste and innocent for my arranged marriage in a few years time.
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

Cyclefree said:

I was a child at the time so not allowed to ask too many questions, not on this topic anyway. But I think they did.........

Perhaps they were too shocked to move?
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,162
    Sean_F said:

Cyclefree said:

Watching sex scenes of one's parents even more acutely embarrassing. Imagine the kids of all those Hollywood types who have "accidentally" released their sex lives onto the internet. Poor kids are going to be watching on the 'net the moment of their conception....
  • Options
    Charles said:

stodge said:

I've always admired Gladstone. His work trying to help the prostitutes was so noble.

I think he was an inspiration for SeanT
  • Options
    Charles said:

stodge said:

I like the way they hide the portrait of Jeremy Thorpe behind a pillar. I quite often organise functions in the Lady Violet Room, and the food is excellent, and very good value.
  • Options
    New thread.
  • Options
    Tough day for Greens, even Monboit agrees that they need to do better. But will it make any poll difference? Or effect their target seats. I doubt it.

GeorgeMonbiot ‏@GeorgeMonbiot 42m42 minutes ago
    .@TheGreenParty has some excellent policies and has costed them. So why can't it defend them in interviews? Urgent media training needed.
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,909
    Kellner Tories even more toxic than in 2010
  • Options
    BromBrom Posts: 3,760
    I know Mr Smithson isn't keen on UKIP but the idea Labour will win Thanet or any seat in Kent is highly unlikely. If Labour were polling 26% in November then they'll probably be squeezed even more by now. It's most definitely a 2 horse race there, not aided by a fairly young an inexperienced candidate in Will Scobie who doesn't suit the seat. I'm pretty sure this was one of the seats Ashcroft polled the other week but didn't release for whatever reason too, read into that what you will!

As for the Bennett interview, I just feel sorry for her. Really painful stuff.
  • Options

I have an A (pre A* era) in A-level Maths/Further Maths/Physics/General Studies, an Oxford Maths degree and am about to get a First in PPE to boot. What are you gagging to give me?

This discussion has been closed.