Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Harry Hayfield reviews the battle of May 2nd – the locals

124»

Comments

• MikeKMikeK Posts: 9,053
    @tim; Get stuffed!
  • SocratesSocrates Posts: 10,322
    tim said:

@Socrates.

You purposefully ignored this bit.

His preachings and ideas won him influence among Islamist groups in Algeria and Egypt during the 1990s.

You're not a very bright bigot are you, no wonder you fall for the "20% of Lithuanians have been arrested" crap too.

tim, the term 'bigot' isn't very powerful coming from one that uses degoratory slurs at social groups they dislike. As I have always opposed hate speech, I don't think you have a leg to stand on on the matter of prejudice.
  • AndreaParma_82AndreaParma_82 Posts: 4,714
    Bobajob

In North East there's also Lee Vasey (IIRC she's a Cllr in Darlington)

Wasghington and Sunderland West 0 vote
    Sunderland Central 1 vote

She didn't feature on Darlington shortlist. Maybe she gave up.
  • @Glasfet

Sunderland supporters will understand only too well why somebody would want to live as far away from the club as possible.
  • TykejohnnoTykejohnno Posts: 7,362
    edited March 2013
    Scraping the barrel alert ;-)

stephentall Storming :) RT @markpack: 13 lucky for some: LDs on 13% in YouGov 2 days in a row; best polling performance since Sept 2010
  • kle4kle4 Posts: 91,408
    @Plato

That is bloody amazing - I'd vote for such a man.
  • SocratesSocrates Posts: 10,322
    edited March 2013
  • FinancierFinancier Posts: 3,916
    tim said:

@MikeK/Weathercock

Settled those bets yet? wouldn't like to think all your posts about a good slap curing bad behaviour during your childhood encouraged you to scarper for two years owing money would we?

This site should not be used for any form of blackmail.
  • DavidLDavidL Posts: 50,780
    edited March 2013
    The EU is proposing a new budget showing an increase of £9.5bn: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/europe/eu/9956906/EU-proposes-9.5-billion-budget-increase.html

Actually this increase is for the current year to reflect spending already incurred and prevent it from being carried into next year but it is still completely unacceptable.

There was a time when I assumed those that claimed some Europeans were relaxed about us leaving were just conspiracy theorists but you really do begin to wonder. On the plus side presumably Cameron gets to say "no" again and Clegg and the remaining Miliband get to back him in doing so.
  • JohnOJohnO Posts: 4,211
    @MikeK

tim is entirely right on this one. If a wager was formally registered with PtP as he detailed a few days ago, then you really must honour it. We've corresponded privately about the other relating to the duration of the coalition (which you also lost). It would be helpful for you to acknowledge by name the posters to whom you owe money.
  • PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,842
    Ladbrokes move their 2nd place market: Now UKIP 8/11, CON 5/4,

Lib Dems 20-1 and Labour 16-1 for those who don't like money.
    edited March 2013
    Will there be blood on the streets in Cyprus tomorrow?
    http://www.cnbc.com/id/100594872

Thats if those banks do indeed open.
  • CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,540
    "No wonder those behind Sovereign Strategy are no admirers of the press and eager to help rein it in."

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2233716/Dark-arts-links-Masters-Spin-.html#ixzz2OkZGEO5I
  • glassfetglassfet Posts: 220
    Emily Maitland to Tessa Jowell "Do you think the timing of David Miliband's exit is an indirect way of saying that Ed is doing pretty good?"

TJ "no"

• @Socrates
    What is the problem with certain people choosing to exercise their freedom to practice religion?
    DArcyTiP Government loses again as Lords pass another regret motion on Legal Aid changes. Bns Grey Thompson triumphs 163-148
  • PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,842
    Banks won't open tommorow, well if they do people are going to withdraw everything they can. This crisis is going to affect even those who don't lose out on their deposits very very hard still.

• @Mike K

Mike, if there is any dispute about the resolution of the bet, drop me an email. We can then discuss it privately.

That would be better than a highly public dispute.

Usual address: arklebar@gmail.com
  • glassfetglassfet Posts: 220
    @BBCNormanS: Tessa Jowell close to tears on @bbcnews channel when talking about departure of @dmiliband
  • AndreaParma_82AndreaParma_82 Posts: 4,714
    edited March 2013
    glassfet said:

@BBCNormanS: Tessa Jowell close to tears on @bbcnews channel when talking about departure of @dmiliband

They are not killing him. For God's Sake!
  • JamesKellyJamesKelly Posts: 1,348
    "I wish George Osborne could write so eloquently."

Scicluna is a member of the Maltese Labour Party, of course. Just goes to show that the further left you go, the more eloquent you become.
    I do not owe a penny to tim, as I never betted on 4 year parliaments. 2 others will be paid at DD's on 15th april as I promised Mike. If those two are not there I will hand over the money owed to Mike or Peter; and thats the last I'll say on the subject.
    SeanT said:

I wish George Osborne could write so eloquently.

Or speak so eloquently. Or think so eloquently. Still, at least he...uh...what is he good at again?

• Life

Well, they are blocking the road a bit, but as it is plainly NOT in East London, I'm not too worried.
  • Peter_2Peter_2 Posts: 146

OpenEurope Poll: One out of three students in #Hungary would vote for far-right party Jobbik bit.ly/11M6QsA

Some good news then. Added bonus, will send lefties on here into apoplexy.

"Still, at least he...uh...what is he good at again?"

Inheriting money.
    glassfet said:

Oh for the love of god, I hope that is an exagerration. He was another bland offering among a whole heap of bland offerings, even those in the party who saw him as the new messiah should be able to hold themselves together.

@JamesKelly

Personally I deeply admire how George Osborne has taken steps to ensure we never have to continually worry and be lied to about divisions at the top of government between a PM and a Chancellor who was constantly on the look out for opportunity to take the top job. He has made very certain that no-one with a pulse would prefer him over Cameron, thus ensuring harmony at the top.

Very selfless of him.
  • PlatoPlato Posts: 15,724
    edited March 2013
    RT @WillardFoxton: Great post on NHS stats here - pointing out they are so inaccurate they say 17,000 men gave birth last year: http://skwalker1964.wordpress.com/2013/03/27/whatve-17000-pregnant-men-and-hospital-mortality-stats-in-common/

"Last year, in the NHS, the HES – the hospital episode statistics which form the basis for PBR and (via Doctor Fosters Intelligence) – included 785,263 ‘episodes’ of ‘obstetric care’. Obstetrics is care relating to pregnancy.

Of those 785,263 episodes, 16,997 were coded as being given to male patients..."
    "Great post on NHS stats here - pointing out they are so inaccurate they say 17,000 men gave birth last year:"

Well, we always knew the Tories couldn't be trusted with the NHS. I suspect floating voters up and down and the land (including yourself?) will be drawing the obvious conclusion.
  • AveryLPAveryLP Posts: 7,815
    edited March 2013
    @SeanT

You are quite right that the article by Edward Sciucluna is well written.

What is even more remarkable is that Sciucluna is a member of the recent election winning Maltese Labour Party. The lessons he draws from his experience of the EU "bullying of Cyprus" are most unusual for a Leftie:

The feeling one got on exiting the meeting in the early hours of the day was that never in one’s life would one like to dream the experience let alone live it. That is indeed salutary to any finance minister who needs to be reminded that any fiscal slippage in the country’s public finances is done at a great risk to the country’s economic welfare.

I would put Sciucluna's wisdom down to his education at Oxford University had Ed Balls and Ed Milband not existed as a standing refutation of my line of argument.

Maybe he studied at Magdalen or Brasenose rather than Corpus Christi or Keble?
    OpenEurope RANsquawk: #Cyprus capital controls in place for 7 days, include curbs on cashing checks, curbs on payments abroad & ending time deposits
  • NeilNeil Posts: 7,983
    AveryLP said:

any fiscal slippage in the country’s public finances is done at a great risk to the country’s economic welfare.

It's misleading to suggest that Cyprus' problems are fiscal like Greece's. They are banking problems (not that their fiscal situation is or will be great but it would have been dealt with over time).

It's not too difficult to see where Maltese politicians, left or right, are coming from in the context of what happened to Cyrpus. I'm sure you could find a rightwing Luxembourger saying the same thing.
    edited March 2013
    Iain Duncan Smith heckled at speech

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-21953896

@JamesKelly should love this ;-)
  • samsam Posts: 727
    Using my Heath Robinson spreadsheet, I predict ahem ahem...

South Shields

Labour 48%
    UKIP 33%
    Con 6%
    BNP 2%
    LD 2%

others 9%
    sam said:

Using my Heath Robinson spreadsheet, I predict ahem ahem...

South Shields

Labour 48%
    UKIP 33%
    Con 6%
    BNP 2%
    LD 2%

others 9%

You should make a bomb betting that Ukip gets more than 23% then.

• AveryLPAveryLP Posts: 7,815
    edited March 2013
    Neil said:

AveryLP said:

any fiscal slippage in the country’s public finances is done at a great risk to the country’s economic welfare.

It's misleading to suggest that Cyprus' problems are fiscal like Greece's. They are banking problems (not that their fiscal situation is or will be great but it would have been dealt with over time).
    Cyprus charges foreigners no tax on dividend income and capital gains. A double taxation treaty with Russia provides attractive incentives for Russians to use Cypriot banks. Even on Thursday, with Nicosia in crisis, one adviser said he had had two new requests from abroad to set up Cypriot shell companies. [Moscow Times]

I am sending you to Toby Young's Free School in Hammersmith, Neil:

fiscal... Late Latin fiscalis "of or belonging to the state treasury," from Latin fiscus "treasury," originally "purse, basket made of twigs (in which money was kept)," of unknown origin.

It was the tax incentives provided to Russian investors that led to Cyprus's banking troubles. Malta has sought in the past to emulate Cyprus's 'success' and one can interpret Sciucuna's comments as a warning against a fiscal policy designed to feed the Maltese banking sector in the same way.
  • PlatoPlato Posts: 15,724
    edited March 2013
    I feel I've been letting the side down re cat videos - this one is epic and clear evidence that cats are smarter than dogs :^ D This one knows how to bring home a dog on a leash, and call at the frontdoor for them to be let in.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=v=RnrCki4Cmzw
  • foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    Plato said:

RT @WillardFoxton: Great post on NHS stats here - pointing out they are so inaccurate they say 17,000 men gave birth last year: http://skwalker1964.wordpress.com/2013/03/27/whatve-17000-pregnant-men-and-hospital-mortality-stats-in-common/

"Last year, in the NHS, the HES – the hospital episode statistics which form the basis for PBR and (via Doctor Fosters Intelligence) – included 785,263 ‘episodes’ of ‘obstetric care’. Obstetrics is care relating to pregnancy.

Of those 785,263 episodes, 16,997 were coded as being given to male patients..."

Could those 17 000 episodes be fertility treatment episodes, such as sperm donation, for artificial insemination by doner and IVF? Without a bit more detail it may not be correct to call as coding errors.
  • old_labourold_labour Posts: 3,238
This discussion has been closed.