Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Latest YouGov makes it 8 consecutive polls without a CON le

Comments

• Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,229

rcs1000 said:

Socrates said:

Harper won a federal majority in 2011 off the back of a national vote for the Conservatives of ~40%.

Also, Tony Abbot's centre-right coalition won a majority in Australia in 2013 with ~45% of the vote. John Key in New Zealand won 47% of the vote last year and was one seat off an absolute majority, with a mixed-member system.

Cameron has achieved neither the vote share, nor the majority. He has a lot of explaining to do as to why his party is one of the most poorly performing conservative parties in the anglosphere.

Right-wing parties have done badly all over the EU, as their leaders have given up on centre-right positions to sell out to a European superstate, political correctness and mass immigration. They've been foolish enough to equate such things with "inevitable modernity", when there's nothing inevitable about any of them. They are policy choices that the mainstream right has acquiesced to.
    Ummm: aren't more than half of EU governments "right wing" in the accepted sense?

For example, Germany, Belgium, Spain, etc

And you could argue that in Italy and other places, there are left wing government implementing right wing policies (labour market reform and balanced budgets)

I'm assuming by "right wing" we mean pro-capital, free-market, sound budget, reduced labour market regulation, and by "left wing" you mean the opposite.

No.
    Better off out != right wing.

isam is not right wing; his is BOO
    Alans Sked is not right wing; he is BOO
    There are plenty of people on the left who are BOO

What defines Right Wing / Left Wing?

I'd argue that Left Wing means a belief that it is the government's job to proactively change individual outcomes by actively interfering in the free market process.

And I would argue that Right Wing means believing that the free market process will lead to generally higher living standards and higher levels of employment, at the expense of some inequality.

• Options
    SocratesSocrates Posts: 10,322

Charles said:

Charles said:

Mr. Flag, a Labour victory would be sufficient for them to bugger up English devolution. The best we could hope for is for them to ignore it, though empty-headed meddling would seem more likely.

It won't be empty-headed.

It will be entirely self-interested, and probably counter to England's narrow interests

What are England's interests? Is it in England's interests for a party to impose policies that have not been endorsed by a majority of English voters, or at least approved by parties that represent the votes of a majority of English voters?

To have a balanced relationship with Scotland and the other parts of the UK to ensure a strong and sustainable union.

Labour's track record is to look to their own interests in designing constitutional reform - and we have all seen the problems that has caused
    I think that you will find that the Tory track record is the same or even worse.

The difference between me and Charles is that he believes that Labour is self-interested and the Tories are driven by a desire for what is best for the country, while I believe all parties are driven by self-interest. Funnily enough, what the Tories advocate constitutionally is what works best for the Tories and gives them the best chance of winning elections. Charles will see this as being entirely coincidental. I am less sure.

The best thing for the Tories constitutionally would be the independence of Scotland and Wales, yet they don't support either.
  • Options
    roserees64 Posts: 63
    8:57AM

I know that we all have our political preferences to grind but you cannot be totally unaware that Sunday's Scottish YouGov crossbreak was 47-22 SNP-Lab, about the highest gap in their series, Populus yesterday's cross break was 45 SNP to 22 Lab, by far the highest gap in their series and, far, far more importantly than either today's REAL YouGov Scottish poll is SNP 48% to Lab 27%, the highest gap in the history of YouGov polling.

I think in the absence of a full poll, averaging YouGov cross breaks over five to ten days or so is worthwhile (and shows a huge SNP lead). But even that is trumped by today's proper poll.

In the light of the weight of polling evidence your comment of "all to play for" in Scotland, on the back of a single day's crossbreak, seems a tad -how shall I put it - optimistic!
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,949
    edited February 2015

I see that, not content with screwing up the energy supply, Ed M also wants to screw up the supply of rented accomodation:

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2015/feb/02/labour-help-9m-renters-save-600-pounds-ed-miliband?CMP=share_btn_tw

Combined with his plans to make housebuilding less economic, it's perfect storm for the young.

I really feel sorry for the poor mugs who will pay the price if we get a Miliband government. Ironically, those who will suffer most will be Labour-voting demographics.

If Ed does manage a five year stretch I wonder to what depths of unpopularity he'll have sunk to by around Christmas 2017...?

• Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,028

Terrible bets of our time:

William Hill ‏@sharpeangle

William Hill client from Hampstead has staked £5000 on Ed Miliband to be NEXT Prime Minister at odds of 4/5.

Doubt it was Dan Hodges.

4-5 ?!!

Lol.

• Options
    ArtistArtist Posts: 1,883
    edited February 2015
    antifrank said:

DavidL said:

If Labour come first in votes they will be so close to an overall majority that they will have viable option of having a minority government. If they are (just) second but still have the most seats then EICIPM. If they are second in seats as well the tories will have won the popular vote by quite a margin and are likely to remain in government in some form.

You underestimate the challenge for the Conservatives. This is best illustrated with numbers. Imagine a Parliament roughly as follows:

Con 290
    Lab 270
    SNP 40
    Lib Dem 25

There is no plausible Conservative-led majority that is stable. But Labour + SNP + Lib Dem would have a majority of 18, not to mention the support in practice from Plaid Cymru, the SDLP and others in all probability. So some government of that type would be formed.

Would Ed Miliband be seen as the man to lead it, given that Labour would have been seen to have underperformed and he would presumably be personally blamed for that? The point is at least open to question.
    Whilst the likely make up of the House of Commons after May would make it much easier for Labour to run a minority government than the Conservatives, 270 seats just wouldn't be enough to govern. The SNP would need to vote through pretty much every bill, or if they abstain then Labour would need to garner the support of multiple other parties to avoid defeat.

Contrary to what some people in Scotland think, the inevitable consequence of a SNP landslide isn't going to be a progressive coalition of "leftiness" but a second election at the start of next year.

• Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,771
    Socrates said:

Charles said:

Charles said:

Mr. Flag, a Labour victory would be sufficient for them to bugger up English devolution. The best we could hope for is for them to ignore it, though empty-headed meddling would seem more likely.

It won't be empty-headed.

It will be entirely self-interested, and probably counter to England's narrow interests

What are England's interests? Is it in England's interests for a party to impose policies that have not been endorsed by a majority of English voters, or at least approved by parties that represent the votes of a majority of English voters?

To have a balanced relationship with Scotland and the other parts of the UK to ensure a strong and sustainable union.

Labour's track record is to look to their own interests in designing constitutional reform - and we have all seen the problems that has caused
    I think that you will find that the Tory track record is the same or even worse.

The difference between me and Charles is that he believes that Labour is self-interested and the Tories are driven by a desire for what is best for the country, while I believe all parties are driven by self-interest. Funnily enough, what the Tories advocate constitutionally is what works best for the Tories and gives them the best chance of winning elections. Charles will see this as being entirely coincidental. I am less sure.

The best thing for the Tories constitutionally would be the independence of Scotland and Wales, yet they don't support either.
    No the best thing for the Tories consititutionally would be to get off their arses and put some effort in to growing support outside the SE of England.
  • Options
    6-4 has been my "Golden rule" for any Miliband bets this parliament.
  • Options
    JonnyJimmyJonnyJimmy Posts: 2,548

No the best thing for the Tories consititutionally would be to get off their arses and put some effort in to growing support outside the SE of England.

That may be the best thing for the Tories to do, but I fail to see how it represents constitutional change..
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Socrates said:

Harper won a federal majority in 2011 off the back of a national vote for the Conservatives of ~40%.

Also, Tony Abbot's centre-right coalition won a majority in Australia in 2013 with ~45% of the vote. John Key in New Zealand won 47% of the vote last year and was one seat off an absolute majority, with a mixed-member system.

Cameron has achieved neither the vote share, nor the majority. He has a lot of explaining to do as to why his party is one of the most poorly performing conservative parties in the anglosphere.

Right-wing parties have done badly all over the EU, as their leaders have given up on centre-right positions to sell out to a European superstate, political correctness and mass immigration. They've been foolish enough to equate such things with "inevitable modernity", when there's nothing inevitable about any of them. They are policy choices that the mainstream right has acquiesced to.
    Ummm: aren't more than half of EU governments "right wing" in the accepted sense?

And you could argue that in Italy and other places, there are left wing government implementing right wing policies (labour market reform and balanced budgets)

I'm assuming by "right wing" we mean pro-capital, free-market, sound budget, reduced labour market regulation, and by "left wing" you mean the opposite.

I'm meaning "right wing" in the social sense, believing in sovereignty of domestic institutions, maintaining their national culture, respecting traditional liberties, and supporting free speech. Instead right wing parties have done the opposite, supporting the encroachment of a European superstate, mass immigration, big brother government and the policing of speech they dislike.
  • Options
    timmotimmo Posts: 1,469
    I want to know why OGH who is always talking up the LDs chances wont make a proper prediction on the number of seats his beloved party is going to win in May.
    Myself i think they are a good buy at 28 on Betfair and expect them to get around 37.The downside at 28 is pretty limited when you look at the likes of definite LD shoo ins as Farron,Mulholland,Davey,Brake,Clegg,Laws etc etc..
  • Options
    IndigoIndigo Posts: 9,966
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/11385038/Why-Scotland-is-tearing-the-Tories-apart.html

Cameron's ability to (miss) manage the commons is becoming almost legendary. How to take a nice simple issue that would have clear appeal to voters and totally fsck it up and turn it into a very public division within the party.

Offer the party two options, declare without any evidence that the one the executive like and the rank and file hate is the winner, then talk about the possibility of pushing it through on Labour votes. ON LABOUR VOTES !? three months from an election, has he totally taken leave of his senses ?
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 36,013
    rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

Socrates said:

No.

I'd argue that Left Wing means a belief that it is the government's job to proactively change individual outcomes by actively interfering in the free market process.

And I would argue that Right Wing means believing that the free market process will lead to generally higher living standards and higher levels of employment, at the expense of some inequality.

There are several axes of right vs left wing. That is one of them.

And, what is considered right or left wing will change over time.

• Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    edited February 2015
    surbiton said:

Alistair said:

Amazing that Labour have got into a row with a foreign national domiciled in a tax haven at a time they are struggling with the WWC vote and being outflanked on the left. What idiots

But it is good soundbite ! The bleeding boss who dodges taxes lecturing us. Good politics.

Lay into the bastard, I say !
    Sorry, what idiots should have been in italics as I was being sarcastic. It's amazing that a board who was keen to champion Cameron as a political genius for mentioning the Greens can't spot an equally transparently political move by Labour.
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    Pulpstar said:

6-4 has been my "Golden rule" for any Miliband bets this parliament.

The golden rule is : Cons get 300 seats, Cam is PM.

• Options
    Socrates said:

rcs1000 said:

Socrates said:

I'm meaning "right wing" in the social sense, believing in sovereignty of domestic institutions, maintaining their national culture, respecting traditional liberties, and supporting free speech. Instead right wing parties have done the opposite, supporting the encroachment of a European superstate, mass immigration, big brother government and the policing of speech they dislike.
    I don't accept your definition.

There are plenty of left wing politicians - i.e. people who support state intervention - who believe in the sovereignty of domestic institutions, support free speech, etc.
  • Options
    TheWatcherTheWatcher Posts: 5,262

William Hill client from Hampstead has staked £5000 on Ed Miliband to be NEXT Prime Minister at odds of 4/5.

Doubt it was Dan Hodges.

Could it be Ed? He's hardly likely to miss £5K.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Socrates said:

rcs1000 said:

Socrates said:

There are plenty of left wing politicians - i.e. people who support state intervention - who believe in the sovereignty of domestic institutions, support free speech, etc.
    Don't you get it Robert?

UKIP = Right wing and all that is good

Everyone else = LibLabCon left wing traitors.
  • Options
    edited February 2015
    Indigo said:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/11385038/Why-Scotland-is-tearing-the-Tories-apart.html

Cameron's ability to (miss) manage the commons is becoming almost legendary. How to take a nice simple issue that would have clear appeal to voters and totally fsck it up and turn it into a very public division within the party.

Offer the party two options, declare without any evidence that the one the executive like and the rank and file hate is the winner, then talk about the possibility of pushing it through on Labour votes. ON LABOUR VOTES !? three months from an election, has he totally taken leave of his senses ?

Jesus. Option 3 isn't English votes for English laws at all! It the actual vote that matters, the Scots still get to reject laws that have majority English support! I thought this was one issue they would make halfway progress on but they're buckling again, just like they've done again and again Europe.

Moderate conservatives simply can not trust the Conservative party any more. Not until they get new leadership.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 41,059
    Sky news footage of the treatment of animals at a North yorkshore halal abattoir is absolutely horrific... I shouldn't think the treatment at non halal abattoirs is much better but it's worth a watch...

Can't imagine I'll eat mammal meat again

Pithy comment alert, but the real animals are the scum that work there. Would like to seem them thrown about and beaten see how they like it

• Options
    Sean_F said:

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

Socrates said:

No.

That is true. But I don't like people attempting to kidnap patriotism and ascribe it to one end of the political spectrum.

To quote the awesome Show of Hands: "It's my flag too, and I want it back."
  • Options

We've become so used to the catastrophic collapse in Labour's position in Scotland that we no longer bother to express surprise at polls like the latest YouGov. This is wrong: we should remain astonished at the sheer scale of the shift and its consistency. Since November 1st, there have 10 Scottish Westminster polls, 9 of which have shown SNP leads of at least 17 points. John Curtice's current poll of polls has an SNP lead of 20 points, to be compared with a GE2010 Labour lead of 22 points. On UNS, that would translate to a staggering 52 SNP Westminster MPs.

Now, maybe we should ignore the polling, or at least mentally adjust it back a bit. Maybe we should make allowance for incumbency, especially for well-established LibDem MPs. But even making all those allowances, the betting markets still don't seem to believe the height and reach of the SNP tsunami:

SPIN: 32-34 seats
    Spreadex: 31-24 seats
    Ladbrokes Over/Under: 32.5 seats
    Ladbrokes constituencies: SNP favourite in 30 seats

I reckon there is some still value in Paisley and Renfrewshire North - goes SNP on a UNS swing, and http://metro.co.uk/2014/09/19/the-final-score-how-each-of-scotlands-regions-voted-in-the-referendum-on-independence-4875080/ shows that the Renfrewshire area was 47% yes, I assume looking at West Dunbartonshire and East Renfrewshire a slightly higher Yes vote in the north of Renfrewshire ?

13-8 Betfair £30.
  • Options
    edited February 2015
    isam said:

Sky news footage of the treatment of animals at a North yorkshore halal abattoir is absolutely horrific... I shouldn't think the treatment at non halal abattoirs is much better but it's worth a watch...

Pithy comment alert, but the real animals are the scum that work there. Would like to seem them thrown about and beaten see how they like it

This is the kind of thing that the RSPCA should really be getting stuck into. I guess going after fox hunting toffs is the easier option.
  • Options
    audreyanneaudreyanne Posts: 1,376
    timmo said:

I want to know why OGH who is always talking up the LDs chances wont make a proper prediction on the number of seats his beloved party is going to win in May.

Hear hear. I've asked the same several times.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Socrates said:

rcs1000 said:

Socrates said:

I'd feel that I had more in common, politically, with an economically left wing politician who believed in the former (say Peter Shore or Austin Mitchell) than I had with an economically right wing politician who favoured the latter (say, Angela Merkel).
  • Options
    edited February 2015
    rcs1000 said:

That is true. But I don't like people attempting to kidnap patriotism and ascribe it to one end of the political spectrum.

And there are plenty of right wing people who support restrictions on capitalism.

If we trace right wing back to the original meaning, it refers to traditionalists versus revolutionaries - nothing to do with laissez-faire versus dirigism.
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    edited February 2015

Doubt it was Dan Hodges.

That's a good idea for getting rich quick: accepting bets on Ed being PM this year.

If Rod Crosby and Peter Kellner both say it won't happen, it won't happen IMO.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P5h4PFBuzvw

:D
  • Options
    The SNP exist to break up the UK, they are not putting so much effort into taking seats off Labour to then just offer them up easily to make up the numbers in a Milliband government. They would let a Labour government fail if they could find a way of framing it so they won't get the blame, hint: look at their "red line" position on Trident. The Tories in power provides fertile ground for them to achieve their objective, although they can't do anything to explicitly help the Tories and would need to give the appearance of giving Labour a fair go. I see there was a story in the Telegraph about a Labour - SNP coalition being likely, I wouldn't bet on it, supply and confidence at most.
  • Options

isam said:

This is the kind of thing that the RSPCA should really be getting stuck into. I guess going after fox hunting toffs is the easier option.

isam said:

Not to mention throwing hundreds of thousands of pounds down the drain by litigating over wills.

• Options
    DairDair Posts: 6,108
    Artist said:

antifrank said:

DavidL said:

If Labour come first in votes they will be so close to an overall majority that they will have viable option of having a minority government. If they are (just) second but still have the most seats then EICIPM. If they are second in seats as well the tories will have won the popular vote by quite a margin and are likely to remain in government in some form.

You underestimate the challenge for the Conservatives. This is best illustrated with numbers. Imagine a Parliament roughly as follows:

Con 290
    Lab 270
    SNP 40
    Lib Dem 25

There is no plausible Conservative-led majority that is stable. But Labour + SNP + Lib Dem would have a majority of 18, not to mention the support in practice from Plaid Cymru, the SDLP and others in all probability. So some government of that type would be formed.

Would Ed Miliband be seen as the man to lead it, given that Labour would have been seen to have underperformed and he would presumably be personally blamed for that? The point is at least open to question.
    Whilst the likely make up of the House of Commons after May would make it much easier for Labour to run a minority government than the Conservatives, 270 seats just wouldn't be enough to govern. The SNP would need to vote through pretty much every bill, or if they abstain then Labour would need to garner the support of multiple other parties to avoid defeat.

Contrary to what some people in Scotland think, the inevitable consequence of a SNP landslide isn't going to be a progressive coalition of "leftiness" but a second election at the start of next year.

Not a bad thing, the SNP can then finish the job and pick up any remaining Scottish seats they don't hold.
  • Options
    NeilNeil Posts: 7,983
    Socrates said:

If we trace right wing back to the original meaning, it refers to traditionalists versus revolutionaries - nothing to do with laissez-faire versus dirigism.

Nonsense, political historians will confirm that originally right-wing meant support for sugar and spice and all things nice whereas left-wing meant support for slugs and snails and puppy-dog tails.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

isam said:

isam said:

Not to mention throwing hundreds of thousands of pounds down the drain by litigating over wills.

Just say no to paramilitarism.

• Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,291
    CQC not doing themselves any favours.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-cambridgeshire-31109331

Hinchinbrooke Hospital H of C evidence.
  • Options
    DairDair Posts: 6,108
    edited February 2015
    Socrates said:

rcs1000 said:

Socrates said:

Right wing in a social sense has nothing to do with Nationalist vs Internationalist. It is related to personal responsibility and moral hazard - things like drug decriminalisation, reduced welfare state, personal freedoms. It's unsupported by any party in the UK.
  • Options
    edited February 2015
    AndyJS said:

Doubt it was Dan Hodges.

That's a good idea for getting rich quick: accepting bets on Ed being PM this year.

Rod Crosby has never said it won't happen, you need to win his posts more carefully. The L&N model predicts 100% chance of a Conservative majority currently, but there are caveats...
  • Options
    edited February 2015
    Artist said:

AndyJS said:

UKIP deputy leader Paul Nuttall reselected as candidate for Bootle:

twitter.com/BBCNWT/status/562528847464501248

You'd think UKIP would put their high profile individuals in winnable seats, even if it does mean they have no local roots. I get the impression that UKIP MEP's have an easy life in Brussels and don't actually want to become MPs.
    UKIP might do better than anyone imagines in Bootle. It's been such a rock-solid seat for so long that there must be a great deal of complacency in Labour ranks. Turnout is usually pitiful and the electorate is often shrinking faster than almost anywhere else in England.
  • Options

isam said:

Quite. I don't think there's anything wrong with eating meat, but there's absolutely no reason animals need to suffer in the process. Humane conditions as they are raised and stunning before slaughter should be required, and screw the religious fundamentalists that aren't ok with that.
  • Options
    edited February 2015
    Sean_F said:

isam said:

isam said:

One only has to look at the vast and glossy HQ in Horsham to understand why they need those legacies.
  • Options
    Charles said:

Of SO's examoles: equalising constituency sizes is a "principle" issue. And I think that - with a reasonably flexibility to allow for practicality - it's difficult to argue why they should be different sizes.

The previous rules were also for equal-sized constituencies, but with a tolerance of +/-10% to allow for local boundaries to be respected.

The change in the law was simply to reduce that tolerance to +/-5% and to allow the boundary commission to ignore local boundaries in order to meet it. This resulted in a number of seat boundaries that local people took exception to - such as the Devonwall seat, for example. Having bizarre boundaries runs contrary to the principles that justify FPTP, that one is electing a representative of a cohesive community, rather than of an abstract political unit.

The only principle involved was the Blairite one. Win elections at any cost.
  • Options
    edited February 2015
    Pulpstar said:

AndyJS said:

Doubt it was Dan Hodges.

Rod Crosby has never said it won't happen, you need to win his posts more carefully. The L&N model predicts 100% chance of a Conservative majority currently, but there are caveats...
    Rod hasnt said which of the models he favours. He was all excited about it earlier in the Parliament but I'd be slightly surprised if he plumped for L&N in the end.

• Options
    Pulpstar said:

AndyJS said:

Doubt it was Dan Hodges.

He said yesterday that he thought a Labour overall majority was "out".
  • Options
    AndrewP said:

The SNP exist to break up the UK, they are not putting so much effort into taking seats off Labour to then just offer them up easily to make up the numbers in a Milliband government. They would let a Labour government fail if they could find a way of framing it so they won't get the blame, hint: look at their "red line" position on Trident. The Tories in power provides fertile ground for them to achieve their objective, although they can't do anything to explicitly help the Tories and would need to give the appearance of giving Labour a fair go. I see there was a story in the Telegraph about a Labour - SNP coalition being likely, I wouldn't bet on it, supply and confidence at most.

Welcome, and I agree. I think the optimal play for the SNP would be to publicly support a Miliband government on condition of trident which would be very unpopular in England and a gift for the Tories, prop them up for six months, and then publicly have a falling out with them over austerity or whatever looks convenient to give their party of the people image a shine and make it look like it was Labour's fault. Cameron would then get a chance to form a government, the SNP would claim with a straight face in having no interest in bringing down any government and largely abstain on English issues and let Conservatives stagger on with a weak minority government occasionally voting with Labour when it suited them, or to stir the pot, whilst largely retreating to Scotland to win the Holyrood elections.
  • Options
    The most notable prediction so far for GE2015 came from Peter Kellner who forecasts Con + LD = 323, enough for the present parties to stay in power one way or another.
  • Options
    Dair said:

Socrates said:

rcs1000 said:

Socrates said:

Right wing in a social sense has nothing to do with Nationalist vs Internationalist. It is related to personal responsibility and moral hazard - things like drug decriminalisation, reduced welfare state, personal freedoms. It's unsupported by any part in the UK.
    The terms go back to the National Assembly during the French revolution and primarily referred to the maintenance or restoration of traditional institutions or tearing them down and starting again. In the current context, those that wish to restore parliamentary sovereignty are right of centre. Those that wish to replace it with an EU superstate are left of centre.
  • Options

OGH reports a TNS poll as Lab 33%, Con 27%, UKIP 18%, Lib Dem 6%, Green 8%, Others 8%. Is that the poll that appeared on their website last night, but with the figures re-worked?
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    edited February 2015
    Neil said:

Charles said:

Now you have a mass of superannuated party hacks, who can't be removed by the electorate, manoeuvring for partisan advantage and trying to embarrass the government rather than doing their fundamental job as a revising house.

If only they had a few more scions of proper families in there to tut at them to show them how they are meant to behave things would be much better.

Not really. I know my family, and some of them would be good (my aunt makes an excellent crossbencher), whereas other would be superannuated party hacks (my uncle, for instance). What's important is to have people who have areas of expertise and can review and improve legislation but who don't have the inclination to pursue a career in politics.
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

Artist said:

AndyJS said:

UKIP deputy leader Paul Nuttall reselected as candidate for Bootle:

twitter.com/BBCNWT/status/562528847464501248

You'd think UKIP would put their high profile individuals in winnable seats, even if it does mean they have no local roots. I get the impression that UKIP MEP's have an easy life in Brussels and don't actually want to become MPs.
    UKIP might do better than anyone imagines in Bootle. It's been such a rock-solid seat for so long that there must be a great deal of complacency in Labour ranks. Turnout is usually pitiful and the electorate is always shrinking faster than almost anywhere else in England.
    The Northwest I expect to be a happy hunting ground for Labour this time round, Morecameb and Lunsdale and Bury North are both going as a starter for ten. Blackpool and Clevelys too.

Shit Hill is on a knife edge.
  • Options
    Neil said:

Pulpstar said:

AndyJS said:

Doubt it was Dan Hodges.

Rod hasnt said which of the models he favours. He was all excited about it earlier in the Parliament but I'd be slightly surprised if he plumped for L&N in the end.

Yes, I edited the post after mentioning he favours it, he has never said that iirc ;)
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

Pulpstar said:

AndyJS said:

Doubt it was Dan Hodges.

Ed PM and Labour Majority are two very different things.

• Options
    Sean_F said:

rcs1000 said:

Socrates said:

rcs1000 said:

Socrates said:

I'd feel that I had more in common, politically, with an economically left wing politician who believed in the former (say Peter Shore or Austin Mitchell) than I had with an economically right wing politician who favoured the latter (say, Angela Merkel).
    Agreed. Also, poor economic policy can be reversed quite quickly: see the Thatcher revolution. However things like cultural change from mass immigration could take a hundred years to correct.
  • Options
    edited February 2015
    @AndyJS - Also you'll note that I think Ed M PM @ 6-4 or above is now a sensible bet, that doesn't mean it has to be likely for the bet to be profitable.
  • Options
    Neil said:

Socrates said:

Nonsense, political historians will confirm that originally right-wing meant support for sugar and spice and all things nice whereas left-wing meant support for slugs and snails and puppy-dog tails.
    To be fair, I would have thought that unconditional support for the slave trade and the spice trade were pretty unreconstructed positions!

(And yes, I know, all you pedants out there, Wilberforce was a Tory. But in today's terms he'd have been Cameroon, not a Kipper)
  • Options

That aside, you'd tend to think undecideds or uninteresteds will kick back to their traditional parties, and in that case the 2010 weighting was Cons 36.1, Lab 29, LD 23. The latter is the only cause for hope left for the LibDems: that somehow people will return.

In today's YouGov 19% of 2010 Lib Dems don't know who they will vote for compared to 10% Labour and 9% Conservative.

That is, of course, why ICM tends to give larger shares for the Liberal Democrats than other pollsters, because of the spiral of silence adjustment. The average Lib Dem share in ICM in 2014 was 12%. The highest Lib Dem share in YouGov in 2014 was 11%.

Our perception of British Politics would, I think, be very different if The Sun were paying ICM for a daily poll, and YouGov were left with the monthly Guardian contract. And yet, out there in the real world, nothing would be different.
  • Options
    Never heard of Show of Hands before. Cheers for posting that.
  • Options
    TNS/BMRB:

LAB 33% (+2)
    CON 27% (-4)
    UKIP 18% (+2)
    GREEN 8% (+1)
    LIB DEM 6% (-2)
    OTHER 8% (+1)
  • Options
    Anorak said:

Oliver_PB said:

Anorak said:

Oliver_PB said:

Still, it's pretty nice to see the Conservatives shameless opportunism, lust for power, ideological belief in entrenched mass privatisation and shameless support for lower taxation for the wealthiest turn into one single ridiculous policy.

You're funny. Student?
    Not at all. I used to be right-wing when I was younger but then I grew up.
    Interesting, and the polar opposite to most people. Was there a moment of epiphany, or was it more a gradual, creeping realignment?
    Gradually over many, many years. I went from growing up hard right, much like my parents, to right, to centrist, to left-wing, to becoming hard left across the last few years.

There's many reasons but a major one is exposure to people's views on the Internet. Indeed, it was being exposed to the views of the right, which demonstrated a warped and narrow world view and a lack of nuance or outright dismissal of complicated real-world issues.

Which led to me becoming far more left wing... and far less political, largely because reading the news makes me feel increasingly miserable and hopeless about the direction of the world.
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

TNS/BMRB:

LAB 33% (+2)
    CON 27% (-4)
    UKIP 18% (+2)
    GREEN 8% (+1)
    LIB DEM 6% (-2)
    OTHER 8% (+1)

If it's the one whose fieldwork finished on 29th January, it's already pretty dated. On the face of it, it gave Labour a 11% lead, but I think that TNS must have revised the raw data in some way.

• Options
    taffystaffys Posts: 9,753
    TNS=nightmare numbers for the tories.
  • Options
    Oliver_PB said:

Anorak said:

Oliver_PB said:

Anorak said:

Oliver_PB said:

Still, it's pretty nice to see the Conservatives shameless opportunism, lust for power, ideological belief in entrenched mass privatisation and shameless support for lower taxation for the wealthiest turn into one single ridiculous policy.

You're funny. Student?
    Not at all. I used to be right-wing when I was younger but then I grew up.
    Interesting, and the polar opposite to most people. Was there a moment of epiphany, or was it more a gradual, creeping realignment?
    Gradually over many, many years. I went from growing up hard right, much like my parents, to right, to centrist, to left-wing, to becoming hard left across the last few years.

There's many reasons but a major one is exposure to people's views on the Internet. Indeed, it was being exposed to the views of the right, which demonstrated a warped and narrow world view and a lack of nuance or outright dismissal of complicated real-world issues.

Which led to me becoming far more left wing... and far less political, largely because reading the news makes me feel increasingly miserable and hopeless about the direction of the world.
    If you visit Tumblr, you might shift back in the other direction.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

AndyJS said:

TNS/BMRB:

LAB 33% (+2)
    CON 27% (-4)
    UKIP 18% (+2)
    GREEN 8% (+1)
    LIB DEM 6% (-2)
    OTHER 8% (+1)

If it's the one whose fieldwork finished on 29th January, it's already pretty dated. On the face of it, it gave Labour a 11% lead, but I think that TNS must have revised the raw data in some way.

Even if you think they're generous to Labour somehow in the methodology, that's a horror poll for the Blues.
  • Options
    Is TNS a full member of the British Polling Council or whatever it's called?
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Sean_F said:

AndyJS said:

TNS/BMRB:

LAB 33% (+2)
    CON 27% (-4)
    UKIP 18% (+2)
    GREEN 8% (+1)
    LIB DEM 6% (-2)
    OTHER 8% (+1)

Even if you think they're generous to Labour somehow in the methodology, that's a horror poll for the Blues.
    TNS frequently place the Conservatives <30%, probably due to reporting high scores for UKIP.

• Options
    Poor old Tony Abbott in Australia. When you are in a hole, stop digging. Don't award prince Philip a knighthood. Hilarious.

http://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2015/feb/03/how-giving-prince-philip-a-knighthood-left-australias-pm-fighting-for-survival
  • Options
    ArtistArtist Posts: 1,883
    If the TNS poll is a phone poll then it wouldn't be comparable with the last one.
  • Options
    timmotimmo Posts: 1,469
    AndyJS said:

TNS/BMRB:

LAB 33% (+2)
    CON 27% (-4)
    UKIP 18% (+2)
    GREEN 8% (+1)
    LIB DEM 6% (-2)
    OTHER 8% (+1)

Effectively the LDs share has fallen 25%..whats OGH got to say about that?
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

Is TNS a full member of the British Polling Council or whatever it's called?

You can call Nick Howat to ask him about the methodology if you like

TNS-BMRB [Nick Howat] Telephone 020-7656 5742

http://www.britishpollingcouncil.org/officers-members/
  • Options
    timmo said:

AndyJS said:

TNS/BMRB:

LAB 33% (+2)
    CON 27% (-4)
    UKIP 18% (+2)
    GREEN 8% (+1)
    LIB DEM 6% (-2)
    OTHER 8% (+1)

This was posted last night. Fieldwork a week ago off a sample size of 518. Voodoo.
  • Options
    taffystaffys Posts: 9,753
    edited February 2015
    The tories are losing.

The reason they are losing is that they are failing to debunk the myth that there is an alternative to austerity. People think we have austerity for ideological reasons, not because we have to live within our means.

Negotiating with the likes of Tsipras will one day be seen to be a catastrophic mistake.
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

TNS/BMRB:

LAB 33% (+2)
    CON 27% (-4)
    UKIP 18% (+2)
    GREEN 8% (+1)
    LIB DEM 6% (-2)
    OTHER 8% (+1)

This was posted last night. Fieldwork a week ago off a sample size of a meagre 518. Voodoo.
  • Options

timmo said:

AndyJS said:

TNS/BMRB:

LAB 33% (+2)
    CON 27% (-4)
    UKIP 18% (+2)
    GREEN 8% (+1)
    LIB DEM 6% (-2)
    OTHER 8% (+1)

This was posted last night. Fieldwork a week ago off a sample size of 518. Voodoo.
    Sweet Lord. The sample size issue was explained to you last night. For someone who talks a lot about data you dont seem to have a great grasp of statistics.
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

Pulpstar said:

AndyJS said:

Doubt it was Dan Hodges.

And he's right. Pretty much every other option is still possible, but not a Labour majority.
  • Options
    I wonder...

If some people are using the http://www.betfair.com/exchange/politics/market?id=1.116758783 market rather than

http://www.betfair.com/exchange/politics/market?id=1.105756340

With better odds for Ed in the first by some margin as there is basically no effective way to back Cameron staying on in the second ?

Also no payout in the second market if you Lay Ed and Dave stays on for another five year term.
  • Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195

Floater said:

If nothing else this is shaping up to be a very interesting election.

A weak government of whatever stripe is the last thing we need right now though and it really is hard to see us getting anything else.

I think the country would have been better governed if the executive had been weaker in the years 1997-2010.

What I would like to see is individual MPs freeing themselves of the shackles of the whips, so that Parliament could properly debate the way forward for the country, and its collective will would choose a course out of this mess.

PMQs shows us that this is unlikely, but living without optimism is not a happy prospect.
    Labour were an unmitigated disaster - I agree with you that Labour were too strong in their period of office - those were however happier economic times.

We need a stable government able to take decisions at the present time - not a weak government unable or unwilling to make tough decisions in the national interest.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Sean_F said:

AndyJS said:

TNS/BMRB:

LAB 33% (+2)
    CON 27% (-4)
    UKIP 18% (+2)
    GREEN 8% (+1)
    LIB DEM 6% (-2)
    OTHER 8% (+1)

Whatever their methodology, they managed to find Lab ahead among over 55s. Is this likely?
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Sean_F said:

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

Socrates said:

No.

Arrogance Ignorance And Greed (AIG) is great too. Don't watch it if you're a banker.
  • Options
    The Lib Dems are now down to 4% in Scotland, according to Yougov. Even if they could concentrate all of those votes in the 11 seats they hold, that would only come to an average of 22%.
  • Options

AndyJS said:

TNS/BMRB:

LAB 33% (+2)
    CON 27% (-4)
    UKIP 18% (+2)
    GREEN 8% (+1)
    LIB DEM 6% (-2)
    OTHER 8% (+1)

Voodoo.
    By the way, fieldwork was 23-26 Jan and they mashed the polling for GB voting in the same telephone call as their woman's hour polling. A right dog's breakfast, always accepting the Golden Rule caveat.
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,912

AndyJS said:

Pulpstar said:

AndyJS said:

Doubt it was Dan Hodges.

And he's right. Pretty much every other option is still possible, but not a Labour majority.
    Why is a Tory outright majority not at least as unlikely as a Lab one?

IMO it is.
  • Options
    Yesterday's TNS poll was not politically weighted (I think because it was for the BBC, who don't allow their polls to be weighted as such, IIRC). This one is presumably their regular poll.

TNS is by far the most Labour-friendly outfit (see Anthony Wells on the matter) but this is still a very poor poll for the Tories.
  • Options
    Miss Anne, just accidentally labelled one of your posts 'off topic'. Think I got rid of it, but in case I didn't, it wasn't intentional.
  • Options

isam said:

The footage was obtained by the charity "Animal Aid". Other animal charities exist. Why do you appear to want the RSPCA to exercise a monopoly?
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

Sean_F said:

AndyJS said:

TNS/BMRB:

LAB 33% (+2)
    CON 27% (-4)
    UKIP 18% (+2)
    GREEN 8% (+1)
    LIB DEM 6% (-2)
    OTHER 8% (+1)

Whatever their methodology, they managed to find Lab ahead among over 55s. Is this likely?
    Individual subsamples don't invalidate a whole poll, I raise my eyebrows when Populus has SNP and Labour level, but that reason alone doesn't make the whole poll invalid.

An average of polls using different methodologies is the best poll of all. If they all start using the same methodology then herding bias creeps in, and the average is less accurate. So we should be thankful to see apparent outliers, and all else being equal there should be outliers on the opposite side if the true picture is one of level pegging. You need alot of polls to produce them, but they are coming thick and fast now... I expect to see the Conservatives ahead by 5 or so in one poll in the next couple of weeks.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

I expect to see the Conservatives ahead by 5 or so in one poll in the next couple of weeks.

I'm already salivating at the inevitable response to the PB Tory response to such a poll.
  • Options
    Neil said:

Pulpstar said:

I expect to see the Conservatives ahead by 5 or so in one poll in the next couple of weeks.

I'm already salivating at the inevitable response to the PB Tory response to such a poll.
    Gold standard.
  • Options
    Blue_rogBlue_rog Posts: 2,019

Never heard of Show of Hands before. Cheers for posting that.

MD - I got hooked on them when I saw them in The Albert Hall!!! They also play pubs :-)

Some brilliant modern folk with a decidedly left wing slant. Even as a true blue, I love their music
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

TNS/BMRB:

LAB 33% (+2)
    CON 27% (-4)
    UKIP 18% (+2)
    GREEN 8% (+1)
    LIB DEM 6% (-2)
    OTHER 8% (+1)

Do you have a link to those headline figures? As they are different to those extracted from the data by posters last night. It would be interesting to see if they are from different data or just a different analysis of the same data.

• Options
    FrankBoothFrankBooth Posts: 9,070
    I don't know what the answer is but the likes of Blair, Hodges et al could do with reading this from Stephen Shakespeare.

https://yougov.co.uk/news/2015/01/29/three-trumps-could-win-labour-election/
  • Options
    Tissue_PriceTissue_Price Posts: 9,039
    edited February 2015
    Neil said:

Pulpstar said:

The beauty of today's polling is that we can identify it as 11-point swingback caused by whatever was in the paper the previous day.
  • Options
    edited February 2015
    Wheels starting to come of in Venezuela as predicted by RCS and others

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/southamerica/venezuela/11385294/Venezuelas-socialist-paradise-turns-into-a-nightmare-medical-shortages-claim-lives-as-oil-price-collapses.html
    Having promised a 15 per cent wage and pensions increase during last month’s annual state of the nation address, Mr Maduro last week announced emergency measures to relax currency restrictions on importers of key goods, including everything from toilet paper to tuna fish.

But with real inflation now running at nearly 100 per cent, according to Robert Bottome of the VenEconomia think-tank, and with Venezuela’s oil revenues being squeezed further by international oil prices, the measures were equivalent to trying to open an umbrella in a hurricane.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

The Lib Dems are now down to 4% in Scotland, according to Yougov. Even if they could concentrate all of those votes in the 11 seats they hold, that would only come to an average of 22%.

Nat 36.7%,
    Lib Dem 35.9%

Can you guess which seat this is the current UNS prediction for ?
  • Options
    edited February 2015
    Pulpstar said:

Neil said:

Pulpstar said:

Gold standard.
    5 points ahead would qualify for Platinum, surely?
  • Options
    Blue_rogBlue_rog Posts: 2,019

rcs1000 said:

Sean_F said:

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

Socrates said:

No.

Arrogance Ignorance And Greed (AIG) is great too. Don't watch it if you're a banker.
    Don't forget the earlier cutthroats, crooks, and conmen
  • Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195
    Anorak said:

The title in the RSS feed is "Bishop not seeking to oust Abbot". Interesting times in Rome, I thought. But no. http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-australia-31104159

Is someone looking to bash the Bishop?

<<innocent face>>
  • Options
    Charles said:

Neil said:

Socrates said:

To be fair, I would have thought that unconditional support for the slave trade and the spice trade were pretty unreconstructed positions!

(And yes, I know, all you pedants out there, Wilberforce was a Tory. But in today's terms he'd have been Cameroon, not a Kipper)
    Opposition to the slave trade was fairly conservative, as there were court cases which established that slavery was contrary to English law and could not be enforced in England. It was allowed in the colonies I think as some kind of recognition that it was a universal law.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

AndyJS said:

TNS/BMRB:

LAB 33% (+2)
    CON 27% (-4)
    UKIP 18% (+2)
    GREEN 8% (+1)
    LIB DEM 6% (-2)
    OTHER 8% (+1)

The 11% lead came from a poll with fieldwork on the 23rd-26th January. I can't find any data tables for this poll yet.

If TNS are doing a weekly poll then the fieldwork dates for that would be 30th - 2nd February, I think.
  • Options

Sean_F said:

AndyJS said:

TNS/BMRB:

LAB 33% (+2)
    CON 27% (-4)
    UKIP 18% (+2)
    GREEN 8% (+1)
    LIB DEM 6% (-2)
    OTHER 8% (+1)

The 11% lead came from a poll with fieldwork on the 23rd-26th January. I can't find any data tables for this poll yet.

If TNS are doing a weekly poll then the fieldwork dates for that would be 30th - 2nd February, I think.
    This is the table posted by another PBer (sorry, forgot who!) last night:
    http://www.tns-bmrb.co.uk/uploads/files/TNS_BMRB_Tables_-_All_adults.pdf
  • Options

Yesterday's TNS poll was not politically weighted (I think because it was for the BBC, who don't allow their polls to be weighted as such, IIRC). This one is presumably their regular poll.

Do you have evidence of that? Last night's poll certainly includes data on how people voted in 2010, presumably for weighting purposes. Having said that, I haven't looked at the tables myself yet as I have been doing internet on my phone since it was posted, and the file is just too big and clunky to look at easily.

• Options

timmo said:

AndyJS said:

TNS/BMRB:

LAB 33% (+2)
    CON 27% (-4)
    UKIP 18% (+2)
    GREEN 8% (+1)
    LIB DEM 6% (-2)
    OTHER 8% (+1)

That is not the definition of a voodoo poll - which is a term used for a self-selecting sample. I'm not sure that it is the same poll as that reported last night - need to see the data tables. The sample size of 518 refers to the sample after won't knows and won't votes are excluded and is typical for opinion polls with a starting sample of 1,000 - ie a standard sample size for British phone polls. I told you that last night.
  • Options
    The Conservatives are the tortoise of the 2010 - 2015 parliament in the opinion polls, but will Labour turn out to be the Hare or Archimedes ?