Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Could my 50/1 bet on Liz Kendall being the next Labour lead

SystemSystem Posts: 11,688
edited February 2015 in General

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Could my 50/1 bet on Liz Kendall being the next Labour leader be a winner in the next few months?

Liz Kendall has emerged as a new challenger in a future Labour leadership battle, exacerbating Ed Miliband’s difficulties as party leader. Although some Labour figures have dismissed the rumours around the Leicester West MP as “the Blair Witch Project,” she is emerging as a favourite among Blairite MP.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    MP_SEMP_SE Posts: 3,642
    edited February 2015
    First?

Would the unions get behind a Blairite?
  • Options
    peter_from_putneypeter_from_putney Posts: 6,875
    edited February 2015
    First .... again!

Edit ..... damn it, make that 2nd.
  • Options
    TCPoliticalBettingTCPoliticalBetting Posts: 10,819
    edited February 2015
    She might, key could be when EdM Goes. That article linked to by DavidL FPT contained this.

"The most visible price in the economy is for petrol, displayed in big letters outside every service station. Petrol prices have come down from an average of 131p a litre to an average of 106p. To update a calculation I did in December, the fall is equivalent to a substantial tax cut. Had the chancellor achieved a 25p a litre cut in the price of petrol through duty reductions, it would have cost roughly £13bn. Add cuts in diesel and household gas tariffs, and the indirect effects of cheaper energy on other prices, and it is huge."
    http://www.economicsuk.com/blog/002076.html#more

Imagine a GE with petrol prices in the 99p or less? Last tank filled at 103p.
  • Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787

First .... again!

A case of premature exclamation there.

• Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,930
    I have no idea but she's worth a pony at 20-1.
  • Options
    I wanted Roger to be first on this thread, and him to say "No"
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,124
    On this one I sure hope you win the bet - because it means we'll have been spared the horror of a Salmond/ Miliband coalition!
  • Options
    Oh SURPRISE SURPRISE
    Her price has been suspended at Ladbrokes, nice that a second after I got on at 20-1 for £25. I doubt she'll be being lengthened now there is the "Smithson" article on her.
  • Options
    Meanwhile ....

@TSE has a Smithsonian delusion of a 50/1 winner. :smile:
  • Options
    Harold Wilson got a - very small - Labour overall majority in October 1974, didn't he?

John Major is the only Tory to have secured an overall majority in 27 years. Or put it this way: since 1970 two Labour leaders and two Tory ones have secured overall Commons majorities.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    @robindbrant: Looks like @labourpress preparing to give boots boss story a day two by @Ed_Miliband going on attack tmrw

Tell 70,000 voters they work for a monster...

Lucy Powell really is without equal.
  • Options

Harold Wilson got a - very small - Labour overall majority in October 1974, didn't he?

John Major is the only Tory to have secured an overall majority in 27 years. Or put it this way: since 1970 two Labour leaders and two Tory ones have secured overall Commons majorities.

He did, which is why I said working majority.
  • Options
    JackW said:

Meanwhile ....

@TSE has a Smithsonian delusion of a 50/1 winner. :smile:

Has Mike ever had a 50/1 winner?

If he has, he hasn't mentioned it.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,933
    edited February 2015
    2% chance is now a 5% chance whoopy doo

• Options
    Labour prepared to wage all out war against wealth creation...

@PickardJE: Labour aide: "(Business) People should expect to face scrutiny if they make political attacks. We are going to push back if they attack us."

I hope the manufacturers of popcorn are exempt
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    FPT: You may be interested in this Kendall quote: 

"Some people criticise Labour for backing patient choice, saying what most people want is a good local hospital.
    This is true. But what if your local hospital isn’t good?
    A recent Freedom of Information request revealed that the number of patients who chose to go to Mid Staffordshire hospital through ‘Choose and Book’ fell from 15,700 in 2007/8 to 6,500 in 2012/13.
    In other words, almost two thirds fewer patients chose to go to Mid Staffordshire in the space of 5 years.
    Would anyone seriously want to have denied people this choice?"

From:http://web.archive.org/web/20131110145411/http://blogs.independent.co.uk/2013/02/13/labour-finds-its-voice-on-nhs-reform/

Liz Kendall is a star, and would get my vote!
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 41,997
    Pulpstar said:

I have no idea but she's worth a pony at 20-1.

nice avatar
  • Options
    ArtistArtist Posts: 1,882
    edited February 2015
    There is a clear 'Blairite' theme running through the papers in the last week, so this could just be another attempt to cause mischief.

You'd assume Labour would take a different direction if they lose in May but moving back towards a New Labour theme could really alienate the Labour grassroots and membership, especially if the country is presumably going through a second dose of Osborne austerity.
  • Options
    isam said:

It'll be an 8% chance in a moment.
  • Options
    Too many self references in today's thread headers... A bit me me me
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

@robindbrant: Looks like @labourpress preparing to give boots boss story a day two by @Ed_Miliband going on attack tmrw

Many Boots employees may not be over the moon about working where they do:

https://www.opendemocracy.net/ournhs/guddi-singh/boots-loots-what-has-happened-to-our-friendly-high-street-pharmacist
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,988
    edited February 2015
    Good afternoon, everyone.

F1: testing notes.

Red Bull are secretly owned by zebras.
    Reliability is generally excellent.
    Ignore the headline times. With tyre variation, massive fuel tanks and so forth, there's endless statistical noise. Mood music is more reliable (NB teams are more honest about their rivals than themselves when it comes to pace).

Edited extra bit: McLaren unreliable, but it's a brand new engine, so that's par for the course.
  • Options
    FPT

O/T
    Here's a link to a review which recently appeared in The Daily Telegraph of The Finborough Arms, Earls Court which is owned and run by Stonch (not "Stodge" as I mistakenly referred to him - apologies) :
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/foodanddrink/pubs/11362334/The-Finborough-Arms-London-pub-review.html
    Charles is going to check it out, in a purely professional capacity of course for PB.com, as a possible venue for an overnight ticket-only venue on 7-8 May.
    Here's hoping someone will run with this idea.

Extra bit - Should OGH give this event his endorsement, perhaps he could persuade one of those major bookies who benefit from what is effectively free advertisising on his site to divi up towards the refreshments. Who knows, the odd TV camera might even poke its lens through the front door during the course of the evening!
  • Options
    Artist said:

There is a clear 'Blairite' theme running through the papers in the last week, so this could just be another attempt to cause mischief.

You'd assume Labour would take a different direction if they lose in May but moving back towards a New Labour theme could really alienate the Labour grassroots and membership, especially if the country is presumably going through a second dose of Osborne austerity.

It's a shame Labour can't just start again. That's what is needed. A party that ends up with EdM as its leader needs to be doing a great deal of soul-searching.

• Options
    @peter_from_putney

I think the betfair premium charge kicks in once you win what would be 250k pa for a couple of months

Absolute filth
  • Options

Incorrect.

Major secured his majority in 1992 - 23 years ago and three Conservative leaders have secured a majority since 1970 - Heath, Thatcher - 3 times and Major.

• Options
    Pulpstar said:

isam said:

It'll be an 8% chance in a moment.
    Probably still a 2% chance in reality
  • Options
    MarkSeniorMarkSenior Posts: 4,699
    Scott_P said:

It is very rare that I agree with anything Lucy Powell says but here she is right and you are ( as almost always ) wrong . In the real world many customers have and are turning their backs on the company and letting their own boots do their walking to other pharmacists .
  • Options

Fair enough. But then Mrs T is the only Tory leader to have secured a working majority in the last 45 years.

• Options

Scott_P said:

https://www.opendemocracy.net/ournhs/guddi-singh/boots-loots-what-has-happened-to-our-friendly-high-street-pharmacist
    My mum works there... They've taken over most of the independent chemists round here
  • Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 38,937
    edited February 2015
    JackW said:

Incorrect.

Major secured his majority in 1992 - 23 years ago and three Conservative leaders have secured a majority since 1970 - Heath, Thatcher - 3 times and Major.

So Major is the only Tory in the last 27 years to have done it. And since 1970, ie from 1971 onwards only two Tory leaders have managed it.
  • Options
    edited February 2015

Fair enough. But then Mrs T is the only Tory leader to have secured a working majority in the last 45 years.

Rubbish.

See my 4:24pm below.

• Options
    Artist said:

The disconnect between the parties and their members, let alone their voters seems to be worse than ever. I wonder how much influence the grassroots can realistically expect in the modern world.
  • Options
    RodCrosbyRodCrosby Posts: 7,737
    I thought Ed was staying on, whatever the result.

In which case Kendall needs 20% of the PLP behind her just to mount a challenge.

The last successful challenge was in 1922, and that was a special case, being the first election for leader of the Labour Party.

• Options

Artist said:

It's a shame Labour can't just start again. That's what is needed. A party that ends up with EdM as its leader needs to be doing a great deal of soul-searching.

Assuming Ed doesn't scrape it over the line into Downing Street, Ed's time in the leadership will come to be seen as a great lost opportunity. The period from 2010 would have been the right time to have a big and open discussion of what the Labour party is for, and what it got right and wrong in government. It would have been sometimes fractitious and painful, but would have hugely helped the Labour party long term. Something like that sometimes seemed like it was about to happen, but never got around to happening. And now here we are.
    You don't really want to be facing an election in 4 months, as an opposition leader, with lots of chatter going on about who might be good to replace you.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

Labour prepared to wage all out war against wealth creation...

@PickardJE: Labour aide: "(Business) People should expect to face scrutiny if they make political attacks. We are going to push back if they attack us."

I hope the manufacturers of popcorn are exempt

Labour prepare to wage all-out war against anyone with the temerity to express a political opinion. We could explain why he's wrong... oh, no we can't, let's play the man instead of the ball.
  • Options
    TCPoliticalBettingTCPoliticalBetting Posts: 10,819
    edited February 2015
    Artist said:

Labour Factions
    1. The Blairites/New Labour
    2. Old Labour – but not hard left. Brown/Balls etc
    3. Ed Miliband’s young red turks – the Guardianistas
    4. Hard Left – Unite (main donor)
    Can anyone pull these disparate groups together?
  • Options

Scott_P said:

It is very rare that I agree with anything Lucy Powell says but here she is right and you are ( as almost always ) wrong . In the real world many customers have and are turning their backs on the company and letting their own boots do their walking to other pharmacists .
    Ah yes - the evil nasty baby eating chemists - just as well Labour can't be accused of making it up on the spur as they say..
  • Options
    isam said:

Scott_P said:

My mum works there... They've taken over most of the independent chemists round here
    I stopped shopping at Boots about a decade ago, when they adopted top dollar pricing on pretty much everything. At around the same time as WH Smith did the same.
  • Options
    JackW said:

Rubbish.

See my 4:24pm below.

See my reply. I should have said 44 years.

• Options

JackW said:

Incorrect.

So Major is the only Tory in the last 27 years to have done it. And since 1970, ie from 1971 onwards only two Tory leaders have managed it.
    Nonsense.

Heath's majority lasted until Feb74 and Major didn't secure his majority until 1992 and thus wasn't able to secure a majority in years when he wasn't PM !!

• Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,311
    I think the word "Blairite" is fatal. And the quotation by Mr Sox from her on health care shows far too much common sense to appeal to many Labour supporters, let alone Union members. OGH's record remains safe I am afraid.

Labour have wasted the last 5 years making no serious effort to work out what they are for in the modern world where the answer to everything is not more public spending. I sincerely hope for all our sakes they get another 5 years to have another go after May untroubled by the burdens of government. They need a new generation of leadership not poisoned by the flaws of the last government. Kendall could and probably will play a part in that but not as top dog.

• Options

isam said:

Scott_P said:

I stopped shopping at Boots about a decade ago, when they adopted top dollar pricing on pretty much everything. At around the same time as WH Smith did the same.

It's a company that milks the NHS, avoids tax, pays low wages, refuses to recognise certain unions, uses its financial muscle to squeeze out competition and offers poor service. No wonder Tories on here like to trumpet it as a wealth creator. Sadly, most of the wealth Boots creates leaves the country.

• Options

It's a company that milks the NHS, avoids tax, pays low wages, refuses to recognise certain unions, uses its financial muscle to squeeze out competition and offers poor service. No wonder Tories on here like to trumpet it as a wealth creator. Sadly, most of the wealth Boots creates leaves the country.

And Labour would rather see 70,000 more people on the dole.

We get it.
  • Options
    @DPJHodges: "Damn, we had a bad week on the NHS". "Yeah, what shall we go on next week?". "Let's remind everyone how anti-business we are". "Perfect".
  • Options

isam said:

Scott_P said:

My word - how odd that such an evil company wasn't closed down between 97 & 2010 - how remiss of the last Labour govt.
  • Options

Artist said:

Labour Factions
    Number 4 on that list supplies the bulk of their donations. Companies and members provide very little in terms of donations. If they want to put up strong campaigns in future elections they have to keep the unions on board. Attempting to move to the centre ground could risk infuriating them and losing much needed money.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,311
    Maybe I underrated her: http://order-order.com/2012/11/14/sick-individual-steals-liz-kendalls-lunch/

Not someone to be messed with.
  • Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 38,937
    edited February 2015
    felix said:

isam said:

Scott_P said:

My word - how odd that such an evil company wasn't closed down between 97 & 2010 - how remiss of the last Labour govt.

That would be you mistaking me, who did not vote Labour at the last GE, for a supporter of the last Labour government. Its attitude to the kind of predatory capitalism practised by Boots boss was a disgrace. See also Cadbury's and numerous other examples.

• Options
    MP_SE said:

Artist said:

Labour Factions
    Number 4 on that list supplies the bulk of their donations. Companies and members provide very little in terms of donations. If they want to put up strong campaigns in future elections they have to keep the unions on board. Attempting to move to the centre ground could risk infuriating them and losing much needed money.
    MP_SE said:

Artist said:

Labour Factions
    Maybe they could seek donations from Boots - oh...
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

We get it.

Not sure you do. Criticising an individual is not the same as advocating his employees be thrown out of their jobs.

• Options
    JackW said:

JackW said:

Incorrect.

Nonsense.

Heath's majority lasted until Feb74 and Major didn't secure his majority until 1992 and thus wasn't able to secure a majority in years when he wasn't PM !!

Well, indeed. So In the same way we could equally say that Blair is the only Labour leader in the last 10 years to secure a working majority; as opposed to the 49 years chosen, rather mischievously, by TSE.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

We get it.
    Yawn, kidding on that you understand anything is tedious, if they were not there milking system and avoiding tax then real companies would fill the gap in the market. Fixed markets to enrich Tories chums is not something to boast about.
  • Options
    YBarddCwscYBarddCwsc Posts: 7,172
    Boots HQ is north of the river Trent in Nottingham in the marginal, err, Broxtowe constituency.

Reports from our correspondent on the ground in Broxtowe have not indicated any major dissatisfaction.

Only widespread delight at the Second Coming.
  • Options
    Has there been a tweet to arms? There is a sudden outbreak of Boot's boss posts.
  • Options

felix said:

isam said:

Scott_P said:

That would be you mistaking me, who did not vote Labour at the last GE, for a supporter of the last Labour government. Its attitude to the kind of predatory capitalism practised by Boots boss was a disgrace. See also Cadbury's and numerous other examples.

No - I simply believe that the private sector needs to be profitable or we don't get a public sector! Miliband does not seem to get this.
  • Options
    isam said:

@peter_from_putney

I think the betfair premium charge kicks in once you win what would be 250k pa for a couple of months

Absolute filth

It's a lot worse than that isam. What you refer to is the Super Premium Charge which is charged at between 40-60% of weekly winning. You also have the standard Premium charge which is between 20-25%, you only have to get to about £8k of lifetime P/L before you start having your pockets picked. It all goes on your win rate and a complicated formula called implied commission. I've made a small but consistent profit on rugby over the years and I get charged it even if I only win a tenner that week. It stinks, the only way they get away with it is because of the monopoly on in play liquidity.
  • Options
    edited February 2015
    felix said:

felix said:

isam said:

Scott_P said:

No - I simply believe that the private sector needs to be profitable or we don't get a public sector! Miliband does not seem to get this.
    Big difference between being profitable and Tories milking the system for their chums. Tories seem to be all for just their pals profiting and everybody else paying for it.
  • Options
    Moses_Moses_ Posts: 4,865
    Daley in the Telegraph...

Having “weaponised” the NHS, Mr Miliband then – choose your metaphor – had it blow up in his face, or shot himself in the foot, or fired a succession of blanks. By the end of the week, Labour’s ace vote-winning issue had become one more grotesquely embarrassing morass of internecine warfare, contradictory statements, ill-thought-out policy and, finally, unconvincing denials that the whole initiative had gone horribly wrong

And that's one of the nicer critiques today of the dud and his weaponisation of the NHS.

• Options
    malcolmg said:

felix said:

felix said:

isam said:

Scott_P said:

Big difference between being profitable and Tories milking the system for their chums. Tories seem to be all for just their pals profiting and everybody else paying for it.
    When are Boots being closed down in Scotland?
  • Options
    Moses_ said:

Having “weaponised” the NHS, Mr Miliband then – choose your metaphor – had it blow up in his face, or shot himself in the foot, or fired a succession of blanks. By the end of the week, Labour’s ace vote-winning issue had become one more grotesquely embarrassing morass of internecine warfare, contradictory statements, ill-thought-out policy and, finally, unconvincing denials that the whole initiative had gone horribly wrong

And that's one of the nicer critiques today of the dud and his weaponisation of the NHS.

Why can't Daley choose her own sodding metaphor? Is that not what she's paid for?

As it is, her saloon bar boor critique entirely misses the point which is that Miliband could and should have said nothing about the NHS because it was already moving Labour's way with lengthening queues, crowded A&Es and a shortage of GPs. That's what the bloody idiots running Labour's campaign (and writing for the Telegraph) got wrong.
  • Options
    MikeKMikeK Posts: 9,053
    I must butt in and say TSE, that the photo you have chosen of Liz Kendall does make her look as if she suffering from some weird skin disease. Perhaps she is, which doesn't say much for all the other leadership contenders.
  • Options
    felix said:

Artist said:

The disconnect between the parties and their members, let alone their voters seems to be worse than ever. I wonder how much influence the grassroots can realistically expect in the modern world.
    The problem is that none of the 4 groups I outlined for Labour are aligned with all the main concerns of the working class. None of the 4 for example is against mass immigration. The Blairites seem to have backed off moves to encourage aspirant working class folk through policies such as the right to buy council homes. It is the growing gap with the working class that is reducing Labour's core vote. Now if the Conservatives had voted for David Davis....
  • Options

isam said:

@peter_from_putney

Absolute filth

It's a lot worse than that isam. What you refer to is the Super Premium Charge which is charged at between 40-60% of weekly winning. You also have the standard Premium charge which is between 20-25%, you only have to get to about £8k of lifetime P/L before you start having your pockets picked. It all goes on your win rate and a complicated formula called implied commission. I've made a small but consistent profit on rugby over the years and I get charged it even if I only win a tenner that week. It stinks, the only way they get away with it is because of the monopoly on in play liquidity.
    Yes I was hoping Ladbrokes exchange or smarkets might provide competition but they were Betamax To betfairs VHS unfortunately
  • Options

Moses_ said:

Why can't Daley choose her own sodding metaphor? Is that not what she's paid for?

As it is, her saloon bar boor critique entirely misses the point which is that Miliband could and should have said nothing about the NHS because it was already moving Labour's way with lengthening queues, crowded A&Es and a shortage of GPs. That's what the bloody idiots running Labour's campaign (and writing for the Telegraph) got wrong.
    Those issues were only in the news because of the Labour campaign. That's how politics and the news agenda works.
  • Options

Moses_ said:

But Labour have lost the argument on the economy, so what have they left?
    One of our posters (maybe previous thread) listed all the no go areas for Labour to talk about, it was a very long list. Many of them created by incoherent thinking through all the aspects before opening their mouths. They were too keen to oppose right at the start before first doing the hard work of re-assessing their policies. Much as Gordon Brown plotted to become Labour Leader & PM and then had no clear plan wheat he was going to do when he was in the job. EM plotted the Fratricide but not what happened next.
  • Options
    felix said:

felix said:

isam said:

Scott_P said:

I agree. But that does not make Labour wrong about Boots.

• Options

felix said:

felix said:

isam said:

Scott_P said:

Have boots done anything illegal?
  • Options
    MP_SE said:

Artist said:

Labour Factions
    If UNITE are holding back millions from the political fund 90 days from the GE, that does not indicate that they are desperate for EdM to win. Maybe the socialist workers group really are engineering an excuse to dissaffiliate?
  • Options
    MP_SE said:

felix said:

felix said:

isam said:

Scott_P said:

Have boots done anything illegal?
    Quite - Labour has said nothing about Boots until this w/e. Now they've 'discovered' they eat babies - risible!
  • Options
    For the experts on this forum

INSTEAD OF THROWING STONES AT GLASS HOUSES.

WHY DONT YOU BECOME AN MP YOURSELF.

CLEARLY YOUR AMAZING AND HAVE EVERY SOLUTION TO THE PROBLEMS WE FACE.

OR IS HIDING BEHIND YOUR COMPUTER JUST SO ATTRACTIVE
  • Options

felix said:

felix said:

isam said:

Scott_P said:

Well Boots are certainly not wrong a about Labour. They would be utterly disastrous for the country.
  • Options

Are you standing yourself?
  • Options
    felix said:

malcolmg said:

felix said:

felix said:

isam said:

Scott_P said:

Pardon, can you elaborate
  • Options
    edited February 2015

Moses_ said:

It's always someone else's fault isn't it? On the contrary Daley hits the nail on the head. The satisfaction with the NHS is at an all time high according to Sky.

No , The NHS is just being added to the very long list of things of which Labour dare not speak. It leaves them with nothing to say and they are even saying that far too loudly.

• Options
    Fat_Steve said:

Are you standing yourself?
    I'm not the one claiming to be an expert and telling politicians what they should and shouldn't be doing and writing why the policies are right or wrong!

• Options
    clearly people on here have all the solutions to teh countries problems yet all these amazing people can't be bothered to actually run for office and put there words into actions.

• Options
    FiLtHy ThE DaWg ‏@filthythedawg 1h1 hour ago
    Me: who you voting for
    83 year old mum: #UKIP
    Me: but mum you've voted labour for 60 years
    83 year old mum: exactly
    @UKLabour @UKIP

Labour are losing it.
  • Options

clearly people on here have all the solutions to teh countries problems yet all these amazing people can't be bothered to actually run for office and put there words into actions.

If you're so unhappy with us, bugger off; we won't miss you.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

felix said:

malcolmg said:

felix said:

felix said:

isam said:

Scott_P said:

Pardon, can you elaborate
    Surely such evil can't be allowed to flourish and prosper in Salmond and Sturgeon's bonny Scotland?
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,488
    edited February 2015

I do have all the solutions to the problems this country faces.

That is why I plan to be this country's first directly elected Dictator perpetuo.

I shall follow in the glorious and illustrious steps of Julius Caesar, the greatest military strategist and tactician, politician the world has ever known.

My first act will be to impose public floggings for those who don't know the difference between you are, and your, or countries and country's
  • Options

This forum is a pretty diverse place, though Labour posters are probably under-represented in the comments section. If you can wade through alot of the guff then there is often a decent discussion of politics and betting.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,798
    edited February 2015

In addition to being a nonsensical argument supposing people cannot proffer solutions or offer criticism unless they run for office themselves (putting almost all pundits, journalists and spokespeople out of work just for starters), for all you know many people on here have run for office, or held office, at one level or another.

Most almost certainly won't have done so, but the idea one cannot comment, even with what is often undue certainty and faux-authoritativeness, without having done so (that is, being personally involved in what one is criticising), is one of the most ridiculous arguments I have ever seen in my life, one with profound implications for almost all facets of human endeavour.
  • Options

I suspect you just might be on the wrong forum? Besides which Everyone on here can do it better than an MP and we can all do it better than each other. Everyone can do it better than Ed Milliband.

No need to shout by the way it echoes quite badly you know.
  • Options

My first act will be to impose public floggings for those who don't know the difference between you are, and your, or countries and country's
    I was in support of your reign up until that point. I don't no* how long I would last.

*would no/know earn a flogging>
  • Options
    Danny565Danny565 Posts: 8,091
    edited February 2015
    There is no literally no chance Labour are going to be electing a Blairite candidate (or anyone else from "Progress") for the leadership anytime soon

Admittedly Liz Kendall doesn't get on my nerves as much as that vapid lightweight Chuka (the other mentioned Progress faction leadership candidate), but she would be a disaster for the party and would repeat all the mistakes that have constantly been made in the past 8 years. She's constantly spouting all this thinktankese gobbledygook about "people-powered public services" which means absolutely nothing to anything outside of the Westminster bubble.
  • Options
    Mr. Eagles, indeed, Caesar was so successful he got brutally murdered (literally) within a year.
  • Options
    test
  • Options
    If I had to run for office, that is know about the field I am commenting on and try to offer my solutions before commentating, that would probably affect my ability to predict a Labour majority solidly for almost 5 years I am sure.
  • Options
    edited February 2015

I do have all the solutions to the problems this country faces.

That is why I plan to be this country's first directly elected Dictator perpetuo.

I shall follow in the glorious and illustrious steps of Julius Caesar, the greatest military strategist and tactician, politician the world has ever known.

Or who cant tell the difference between there and their. Fifty lashes on the wheel for this.
  • Options
    Mr. K, I made a their/there mistake, caught by a beta reader. I included a note that I ought to flog myself after correcting it.

[In my defence, mistakes do happen in 102,000 words or so].
  • Options

Mr. Eagles, indeed, Caesar was so successful he got brutally murdered (literally) within a year.

Legacy, Legacy, Legacy :)
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    DavidL said:

I think the word "Blairite" is fatal. And the quotation by Mr Sox from her on health care shows far too much common sense to appeal to many Labour supporters, let alone Union members. OGH's record remains safe I am afraid.

Labour have wasted the last 5 years making no serious effort to work out what they are for in the modern world where the answer to everything is not more public spending. I sincerely hope for all our sakes they get another 5 years to have another go after May untroubled by the burdens of government. They need a new generation of leadership not poisoned by the flaws of the last government. Kendall could and probably will play a part in that but not as top dog.

While Blair himself is toxic, I am not convinced "Blairite" ideas are. David Miliband was considered "Blairite" and won both the Constituency and the Parliamentary leadership ballots.

I would only anticipate a leadership challenge when Ed M steps down.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

This forum is a pretty diverse place, though Labour posters are probably under-represented in the comments section. If you can wade through alot of the guff then there is often a decent discussion of politics and betting.
    And the representativeness changes.

I began posting a year after the Site started and in the time since have known periods when both Labour and , incredibly, the LibDems have been overrepresented. The only group that, curiously, has always been chronically underrepresented has been ScotsLabs. Absolutely no idea why.

Anyway, plus ca change and all that.
  • Options
    The mistake the Neos are making is in thinking that there will be a Labour Party to lead; they dont come near grasping the likely scale of the Labour defeat.All there will be a week after The Election is a pile of pieces, easy enough to pick up but impossible to fit together.
  • Options
    edited February 2015

Mr. K, I made a their/there mistake, caught by a beta reader. I included a note that I ought to flog myself after correcting it.

[In my defence, mistakes do happen in 102,000 words or so].

You bet Morris. I have the singular misfortune, on many an occasion, to be merrily typing away, only to see after a few minutes that I have not used the space bar between words. Oh lack a'day!
  • Options
    Mr. kle4, one might very well argue that the younger Brutus was right to imitate the elder, even though his execution (ahem) was lacking.

If Rome had been able to return to its early, slightly mental, republican patriotism it might never have fallen. That said, a lot of its inherent weakness must be blamed on Augustus for allowing rule by the sword to become the method of imperial accession.
  • Options
    Danny565 said:

There is no literally no chance Labour are going to be electing a Blairite candidate (or anyone else from "Progress") for the leadership anytime soon

Admittedly Liz Kendall doesn't get on my nerves as much as that vapid lightweight Chuka (the other mentioned Progress faction leadership candidate), but she would be a disaster for the party and would repeat all the mistakes that have constantly been made in the past 8 years. She's constantly spouting all this thinktankese gobbledygook about "people-powered public services" which means absolutely nothing to anything outside of the Westminster bubble.

Just because you don't want something to happen doesn't mean it may not, Mrs B owes the site a hundred quid if Andy Burnham becomes leader, my liability on that one is £10. Last matched Betfair price ?

• Options
    Just as a matter of interest and no more than that. If you assume from the Opinium tables that there are the same percentage of "no party choice" in Scotland as in the UK then the Scottish cross break of 159 unweighted has the SNP at 49%.
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,891
    Eagle

"Liz Kendall next Labour leader"

Why don't you have it as a double with BenM chancellor of the exchequer?
This discussion has been closed.