Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Two Mondays ago the Populus and the Ashcroft had an 11 poin

13»

Comments

• Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,030
    Mr. Freggles, let us hope not.

If I end up with Turkey I shall instead declare myself Emperor of Byzantium.
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,623
    edited January 2015

Pulpstar said:

BenM said:

Is the direct comparator in this poll giving Labour a 1 point lead?

No a direct comparator would give a 3% Labour lead
    Why has Lord Ashcroft changed his methodology ?

http://fivethirtyeight.com/features/heres-proof-some-pollsters-are-putting-a-thumb-on-the-scale/

This is a bad thing to happen imo.
    I agree , whilst it may be logical to introduce a change and make the Ashcroft polls directly comparable to Ipsos Mori only taking into account those 10/10 certain to vote , the change should be openly declared in advance .
    He's not changed his methodology - there's always been a "THIS TABLE DOES NOT INCLUDE ADJUSTMENT FOR DON'T KNOW/REFUSERS" table followed by a different "Published Voting Intention" one.
    Yes he has Table 4 " This table has been weighted on the basis of past voting to be politically representative of the UK population as a whole and INCLUDING ONLY THOSE MOST LIKELY TO VOTE "
    Hmm, yes, that is a new table. Perhaps he will respond to an enquiry from OGH or TSE?
    Just look at Table 7 guys, that's the table His Lordship uses for his write-up:

http://lordashcroftpolls.com/2015/01/ashcroft-national-poll-con-32-lab-32-lib-dem-6-ukip-15-green-9/
    Yes but table 7 just gives raw figures not how they have been obtained .
    I'm guessing it's the ICM style spiral of silence type jiggery-pokery.

Let me have a go:

From Table 6:
    Con 2010 voters Refused and DK = 19. 50% = 10 (rounded up for simplicity)
    Lab 2010 voters Refused and DK = 13. 50% = 7 (rounded up for simplicity)
    LD 2010 voters Refused and DK = 20. 50% = 10 (rounded up for simplicity).

Table 4:
    Con 167
    Lab 174
    LD 30
    UKIP 83
    Green 50
    Total 535

Adding the figures above

Con = 167 + 10 = 177
    Lab = 174 + 7 = 181
    LD = 30 +10 = 44 EDIT = 40
    UKIP 83
    Green 50
    Total 535 + 10 + 7 + 10 = 562

But then the LDs and the total don't match! Eight EDIT: FOUR too few LDs in table 7 and three too few total respondents.

Puts the LDs on 8%.EDIT = 7%
    Cons technically on 31% (31.49) but rounding to 31.5 you can be forgiven for rounding again to 32%!
    My bad LD total is 40, not 44!

Still, it puts the LDs on 7%, not 6%.

Possibly a typo or two in Table 7? Not the first time it's happened TBH.
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    surbiton said:

taffys said:

Are we looking at the possibility of the lib dems losing Kingston/Surbiton and even Twickers...???

taffys said:

Are we looking at the possibility of the lib dems losing Kingston/Surbiton and even Twickers...???

Very much doubt it. But Sutton & Cheam could be in trouble. However, if numbers like this is widespread then anything is possible. But I would have thought Twickenham is safe, even safer than Bermondsey.
    Both Ashcroft polling and local election results showed the LDs easily winning Sutton & Cheam.
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,254
    Socrates said:

Anorak said:

Socrates said:
    Pfff. That's no fun at all. As it happens I think there are WAAAAY to many ex-GS staff who are now in senior positions in governments and regulators around the world. They are too influential and they have piss-poor ethics. They're referred to as the "vampire squid" for good reason.

I still think you've gone off the deep end on this. Tin-foil hattery.
    Yeah, linking clearly documented facts from USA Today and the New York Times! It's sheer quackery!

It's amazing how some people have this instinctive reaction to defend the powerful even when provided with clear evidence about wrong-doing. It's as if they don't want to admit that much of the establishment is corrupt, because that means the world's a worse place than they wish to accept.
    In my experience, newspaper reports of regulatory matters are rarely accurate. Indeed, they are invariably wrong on some key point. Relying on them weakens your case, especially when there is plenty of actual evidence - look at regulators' websites, for instance - of what has gone wrong in the financial sector.

But a good case is weakened by hysterical hyperbole.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 41,090
    Theresa May on BBC News denying that Amjad Bashir is subject of a T-Pim
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,245
    surbiton said:

taffys said:

taffys said:

Very much doubt it. But Sutton & Cheam could be in trouble. However, if numbers like this is widespread then anything is possible. But I would have thought Twickenham is safe, even safer than Bermondsey.
    Kingston could certainly be lost to the LibDems, as could S&C. I think they will certainly lose Brent, and Hornsey and Wood Green. Southwark is probably 50/50, with conservative tactical voting likely to be the only think that could save Simon Hughes.

Only Twickenham looks "save", and if the LibDems poll less than 8% countrywide, I'd expect them to lose that too.
  • Options
    SocratesSocrates Posts: 10,322
    Cyclefree said:

RCS can defend himself. But there is a world of difference between being fined for a breach of regulatory rules and committing a criminal offence. The examples you have provided evidence the former. A magazine article is not evidence of the latter.

And second, there are plenty of valid and tough criticisms of banks to be made, including GS (and I should know since I have been involved in an investigative capacity in many of the major scandals of the last three decades) but you spoil your case by overstating it and writing inaccuracies.

These things go down as "rule breaches" rather than "law breaking" because the SEC always settles before taking things to court:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mavB1lbtIow

In the US, price-fixing is illegal under the Sherman Antitrust Act. Clearly what Goldman did with commodity markets is price-fixing. It just didn't go to trial because of a lack of enforcement. Why a lack of enforcement? Because the SEC doesn't want to upset Goldman Sachs (as the leaked Goldman/New York Fed tapes document clearly), and because politicians install industry lackeys as the head of the regulatory body.
  • Options
    saddenedsaddened Posts: 2,245
    TGOHF said:

Cameron spiking the debates again !

James Chapman (Mail) ‏@jameschappers 1m1 minute ago

Labour now wants Irish parties in #tvdebates. 'We can see no good reason to treat NI differently to rest of UK', source tells @politicshome

Might need a bigger podium ..

I'm sure, when I asked, someone told me that Ed had agreed to debate whoever the TV companies decided to put up. Was that a fib? Will all the people who called Cameron frit when he was negotiating be coming out to do the same about Ed?
  • Options
    Mr. Saddened, quite, although the point about Northern Irish parties is sound.
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

isam said:

Scott_P said:

It's a media conspiracy...

@DCBMEP: Extraordinary Southend events as 4 UKIP councillors expel UKIP Westminster candidate & are then suspended by UKIP HQ: http://t.co/Amvy2MP2Sa

The political bettors among us might have been more interested in

""However, our campaigning in the constituency is going well. Private polls show we are ahead of the Tories now.""

given UKIP are 12/1 w Ladbrokes
    Is that Rochford and Southend East or Southend West ?

That polling seems credible to me given the East coast.
    It will seem credible to anybody who has visited Southend.
    I like the Pier Railway :)
    Not as good as Brighton's though.
    Talking of trains, while I was planning my trip to Bethnal Green earlier today, I noticed all the pictures of the station on Wikipedia were taken by someone with exactly the same name as Sunil.
    How weird. Do you have a link? I tried looking it up but didn't see any refs to photographers.

What were you doing there - visiting the Michael Young place? I used to live on Victoria Park Square. Tried to buy a place there recently but out of my price range now.
  • Options
    DecrepitJohnLDecrepitJohnL Posts: 13,300

Pulpstar said:

isam said:

Scott_P said:

@DCBMEP: Extraordinary Southend events as 4 UKIP councillors expel UKIP Westminster candidate & are then suspended by UKIP HQ: http://t.co/Amvy2MP2Sa

""However, our campaigning in the constituency is going well. Private polls show we are ahead of the Tories now.""

Talking of trains, while I was planning my trip to Bethnal Green earlier today, I noticed all the pictures of the station on Wikipedia were taken by someone with exactly the same name as Sunil.
    How weird. Do you have a link? I tried looking it up but didn't see any refs to photographers.

What were you doing there - visiting the Michael Young place? I used to live on Victoria Park Square. Tried to buy a place there recently but out of my price range now.
    Just click on the photos on Wikipedia.
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,927
    Evening all :)

Not sure given the huge volatility that Ashcroft has shown over previous weeks that a 3% fall can be called a "shocker" - it's not good but it could be 9% again next week.

The Conservative and Labour numbers have pitched around in recent weeks - the Conservatives led 34-28 not so long ago - now they are level or narrowly behind.
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    saddened said:

TGOHF said:

Labour now wants Irish parties in #tvdebates. 'We can see no good reason to treat NI differently to rest of UK', source tells @politicshome

I'm sure, when I asked, someone told me that Ed had agreed to debate whoever the TV companies decided to put up. Was that a fib? Will all the people who called Cameron frit when he was negotiating be coming out to do the same about Ed?
    So would that be 11 in the debates ? How about the speaker - does he want in ?

• Options
    JohnLilburneJohnLilburne Posts: 6,018
    edited January 2015

NI is different because the main NI parties only campaign in NI, whereas Scotland and Wales only have one additional party, the rest are the same (although the relative strengths are different). By having a debate with Con, Lab, LDs, UKIP, Greens, SNP and PC you have a debate that can be shown anywhere in GB because the voters will see the main parties they will be able to vote for. There is no need to show the debate in NI. They will just have to have another one - or get round to having proper non-sectarian political parties.

• Options
    justin124justin124 Posts: 11,527
    MaxPB said:

For Labour that is a really small swing Con > Lab in London. I expected much bigger after such a strong performance in the locals in London.

This is a very poor poll for Labour in London, no other way to spin it, they should be looking for 7-8 point swings from Con > Lab at this stage, not a 4 point one.

But it is a bigger lead than YouGov were giving them last month - or indeed in April 2014 ie 9 months ago and before the local elections!
  • Options
    Mr. Lilburne, it's not defensible to include Plaid but not the DUP, or Sinn Fein, I think.
  • Options
    Socrates said:

Cyclefree said:

These things go down as "rule breaches" rather than "law breaking" because the SEC always settles before taking things to court:

In the US, price-fixing is illegal under the Sherman Antitrust Act. Clearly what Goldman did with commodity markets is price-fixing. It just didn't go to trial because of a lack of enforcement. Why a lack of enforcement? Because the SEC doesn't want to upset Goldman Sachs (as the leaked Goldman/New York Fed tapes document clearly), and because politicians install industry lackeys as the head of the regulatory body.
    Regulators assess the evidence and determine whether the evidence supports the matter being taken forward as a regulatory matter or as a criminal matter. If the latter, the standard of proof is higher and the case will take longer. Double jeopardy rules may apply. There is also the question of whether the regulator is taking action against a company or an individual or both. The regulator also has to balance the need to send a message out to the rest of the market i.e. it may make more sense to get an early settlement rather than a conviction of an individual many years later when the matter is often forgotten and the chance of changing others' behaviour is lost.

There are also issues relating to jurisdiction, whether other regulators are involved and what they might want to do etc. In the US you ignore the DoJ and the NYT A-G, for instance. There are a number of different factors involved and, funnily enough, regulators have to take action within their own powers and the applicable laws.

You throw around statements such as "clearly what X did is price fixing" when anyone who works in this field - and I am talking about lawyers and regulators here, rather than bankers - will tell you that the last thing you can say is that it is clear that X did what you allege. If it were clear, regulators and courts would jump at the chance of convicting people / companies.

I don't mean to be rude but you really do not know what you are talking about when it comes to these matters. There is a good case to be made against the financial sector but you are not making it by picking up bits here and there culled from press stories.

All this started with GS's role advising the Greek government. The role of the banks is one thing. But never forget that it was governments who made the decision to massage the figures in order to qualify for euro membership. Best to aim fire at the organ grinder rather than the monkey.
  • Options

I see that Shadsy has turnout bands up, and am tempted by 12/1 at 55-60%.

I can see that with apathy breaking out all over and the big 3 not enthusing their core vote that a low turnout is quite possible.

Or will the denominator be reduced too due to reduced registrations?

I see that Shadsy has turnout bands up, and am tempted by 12/1 at 55-60%.

I can see that with apathy breaking out all over and the big 3 not enthusing their core vote that a low turnout is quite possible.

Or will the denominator be reduced too due to reduced registrations?

I know Shadsy does quite well on those banded markets, so am reluctant to take him on.

I do think turnout will be low though, and have bet at 5/6 on under 68.5%.
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

isam said:

Scott_P said:

I think he meant the pics OF the station ON Wikipedia:

Taken by yours truly

Was during my epic station-hopping campaign of 2008-2009, where I visited every station either marked on the London Oystercard map, or geographically inside the M25.
  • Options
    DairDair Posts: 6,108

Mr. Lilburne, it's not defensible to include Plaid but not the DUP, or Sinn Fein, I think.

Nonsense.

Plaid are a Major Party in Wales competing against Major Parties which will be in the debate. No NI Major Party is represented in the debate so no Major Party in NI would be disadvantaged.

The only problem is Ofcom's ridiculous refusal to confirm the Green part as a major party in England but as the Ofcom paper was a consultation, hopefully the right arms will be twisted to fix this.
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

saddened said:

TGOHF said:

Perhaps we could just have every MP involved. And we could call it something. I dunno. How does "Parliament" sound?

• Options

NI is different because the main NI parties only campaign in NI, whereas Scotland and Wales only have one additional party, the rest are the same (although the relative strengths are different). By having a debate with Con, Lab, LDs, UKIP, Greens, SNP and PC you have a debate that can be shown anywhere in GB because the voters will see the main parties they will be able to vote for. There is no need to show the debate in NI. They will just have to have another one - or get round to having proper non-sectarian political parties.

For Westminster elections ONLY, the main NI parties should declare whether they are pro-Con (UUP?, DUP?), pro-Lab (SDLP? PUP?), Pro-LD (Alliance?) or Nationalist (SF and SDLP?).
  • Options
    john_zimsjohn_zims Posts: 3,399
    @Stodge

'Not sure given the huge volatility that Ashcroft has shown over previous weeks that a 3% fall can be called a "shocker" - it's not good but it could be 9% again next week.'

Surely 6% is rock bottom?
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    I see that the Lib Dems seem to have accepted that from their perspective an unfavourable format for the debates is better than no debates at all.
  • Options
    john_zims said:

@Stodge

'Not sure given the huge volatility that Ashcroft has shown over previous weeks that a 3% fall can be called a "shocker" - it's not good but it could be 9% again next week.'

Surely 6% is rock bottom?

They've had a number of 6s so far this year:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Opinion_polling_for_the_2015_United_Kingdom_general_election
  • Options
    edited January 2015

Pulpstar said:

isam said:

Scott_P said:

Yebbut that's a "beach railway", not a pier railway!

https://commons.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?search=volks+sunil060902&title=Special:Search&go=Go&uselang=en-gb
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,675
    Cyclefree said:

Socrates said:

Cyclefree said:

Regulators assess the evidence and determine whether the evidence supports the matter being taken forward as a regulatory matter or as a criminal matter. If the latter, the standard of proof is higher and the case will take longer. Double jeopardy rules may apply. There is also the question of whether the regulator is taking action against a company or an individual or both. The regulator also has to balance the need to send a message out to the rest of the market i.e. it may make more sense to get an early settlement rather than a conviction of an individual many years later when the matter is often forgotten and the chance of changing others' behaviour is lost.

There are also issues relating to jurisdiction, whether other regulators are involved and what they might want to do etc. In the US you ignore the DoJ and the NYT A-G, for instance. There are a number of different factors involved and, funnily enough, regulators have to take action within their own powers and the applicable laws.

You throw around statements such as "clearly what X did is price fixing" when anyone who works in this field - and I am talking about lawyers and regulators here, rather than bankers - will tell you that the last thing you can say is that it is clear that X did what you allege. If it were clear, regulators and courts would jump at the chance of convicting people / companies.

I don't mean to be rude but you really do not know what you are talking about when it comes to these matters. There is a good case to be made against the financial sector but you are not making it by picking up bits here and there culled from press stories.

All this started with GS's role advising the Greek government. The role of the banks is one thing. But never forget that it was governments who made the decision to massage the figures in order to qualify for euro membership. Best to aim fire at the organ grinder rather than the monkey.
    Goldmans is the organ grinder.
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

isam said:

Scott_P said:

Got it.

I think he owes an explanation.
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

isam said:

Scott_P said:

Yebbut that's a "beach railway", not a pier railway!

https://commons.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?search=volks+sunil060902&title=Special:Search&go=Go&uselang=en-gb

Same thing, just going in a different direction.

Now, about these photos of Bethnal Green Station.....
  • Options
    FlightpathFlightpath Posts: 4,012

isam said:

Scott_P said:

Possibly until the news of ''4 UKIP councillors expel UKIP Westminster candidate & are then suspended by UKIP HQ''
    Any one know why these councillors disowned their PPC?

Surely not some one imposed from above?
    The PCC allegedly used a ukip database to canvass for support to defeat the UKIP group leader. Allegedly. Plus they allegedly do not like each other. Its all about the new politics. Allegedly.
  • Options
    john_zimsjohn_zims Posts: 3,399
    @Sunil_Prasannan

'They've had a number of 6s so far this year:'

Thanks,I thought it was a one-off, that's being pounded like a dockside hooker territory.
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

isam said:

Scott_P said:

Taken by yours truly

Was during my epic station-hopping campaign of 2008-2009, where I visited every station either marked on the London Oystercard map, or geographically inside the M25.
    Stunning! They're great pics, Sunil.

One or two of the people in them look familiar. I was living just behind the Green at the time.
  • Options
    edited January 2015

Pulpstar said:

isam said:

Scott_P said:

Got it.

Took me over a year but didn't want to rush things! Also visited newer London stations built/relocated since then, naturally!

EDIT this was the most poignant:
    https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Bethnal_Green_stn_memorial_plaque.JPG?uselang=en-gb
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

isam said:

Scott_P said:

Taken by yours truly

Stunning! They're great pics, Sunil.

One or two of the people in them look familiar. I was living just behind the Green at the time.
    Thanks for the compliment!
  • Options
    Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 55,814
    Depressing poll for the Conservatives. They just can't break clear of Labour.
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

TGOHF said:

saddened said:

TGOHF said:

Perhaps we could just have every MP involved. And we could call it something. I dunno. How does "Parliament" sound?

Depends how frequently they turn up! :)
  • Options
    antifrank said:

I see that the Lib Dems seem to have accepted that from their perspective an unfavourable format for the debates is better than no debates at all.

I prefer to think that as believers in plural democracy it's important that as many voices as possible should be heard and that debate shouldn't be drowned out by the two major parties.

Whether the format for the debate is "favourable" or not doesn't matter - what matters is the electorate being presented with and able to question and compare the divergent views on offer.

• Options
    Socrates.

No more allegations of criminality against Goldman Sachs from you going forward.
  • Options

Cyclefree said:

Socrates said:

Cyclefree said:

Goldmans is the organ grinder.
    I'm sure you know best and my 30 years experience and actual knowledge of the cases can't possibly compete.

• Options
    stodge said:

antifrank said:

I prefer to think that as believers in plural democracy it's important that as many voices as possible should be heard and that debate shouldn't be drowned out by the two major parties.

Whether the format for the debate is "favourable" or not doesn't matter - what matters is the electorate being presented with and able to question and compare the divergent views on offer.

Brilliant! Nicely tongue in cheek.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

surbiton said:

taffys said:

taffys said:

Kingston could certainly be lost to the LibDems, as could S&C. I think they will certainly lose Brent, and Hornsey and Wood Green. Southwark is probably 50/50, with conservative tactical voting likely to be the only think that could save Simon Hughes.

Only Twickenham looks "save", and if the LibDems poll less than 8% countrywide, I'd expect them to lose that too.
    Its hard to see the LDs holding many seats if they only poll 8%. But in a fractured contest there may be some loopholes. But the LDs are retreating from a relatively recent high position based on them being all things to all people. I would have thought that this makes them vulnerable to desertion by voters who do not have a strong attachment.
  • Options
    Oh gosh, another UKIP PPC suspended....
    http://www.dailyecho.co.uk/news/11750440.UKIP_suspends_one_of_its_Hampshire_MP_candidates/

A good job we are not in an election year and 100 days to go.....
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,675
    edited January 2015
    Cyclefree said:

I'm sure you know best and my 30 years experience and actual knowledge of the cases can't possibly compete.

And I'm sure that the big bosses included any and all of their nefarious dealings on a weekly memo that they sent around so the staff could read them over their Gold Blend.
  • Options

Its hard to see the LDs holding many seats if they only poll 8%. But in a fractured contest there may be some loopholes. But the LDs are retreating from a relatively recent high position based on them being all things to all people. I would have thought that this makes them vulnerable to desertion by voters who do not have a strong attachment.

On the other hand, as has been stated here many times, the LDs have a strong ground game in their own seats and their MPs have strong personal followings.

I realise from a Conservative perspective you need every LD gain you can get to offset your losses to Labour but in terms of London my view has long been that while Brent Central and Hornsey & Wood Green are going to be very difficult, I suspect Simon H will hold on in Southwark (he did survive the 1997 and 2001 avalanches to be fair).

As for the south-west London seats, C&W and S&C look good hold prospects to me based on the local results last year and the Ashcroft constituency polling. Twickenham will be tough and it's one I'm worried about while K&S is perhaps more hopeful than might be feared. A couple of reasonable by-election performances of late suggest we're a long way from an LD collapse though Ed Davey is in for a desperate fight.

Could be five LD losses (three to Labour and two to Con) as a worst case scenario - I'm incling to a net two to three losses (one to Conservative and two to Labour).

• Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,949
    I've had an email for The Good Lord saying 32/32 Lab-Con.

• Options

http://www.dailyecho.co.uk/news/11750440.UKIP_suspends_one_of_its_Hampshire_MP_candidates/

They may be lucky and not have any photos of a gurning Nigel sharing a pint with him.
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,218
    Alistair said:

I see The Good Lord is promising his Scottish Constituency polling next week.

Just 7 days left to hunt out the value people.

Also, anyone interested in playing a game of "Which Scottish Consituency NOT polled by Ashcroft will see the largest SNP implied odds change?".

I'll go for Coatbridge, Chryston & Bellshill, and as a fall back incase that one is polled Ayrshire Central

Hard to believe how Donohoe has been there forever , he is a real dumpling. Typical Labour lout.
  • Options
    Tonight we're getting a ComRes, and a Survation poll tonight for the Mirror, the Mirror have commissioned a series of polls by Survation between now and the election.
  • Options

Cyclefree said:

And I'm sure that the big bosses included any and all of their nefarious dealings on a weekly memo that they sent around so the staff could read them over their Gold Blend.
    Oh dear. You really do risk making a fool of yourself.

• Options
    MP_SEMP_SE Posts: 3,642

Tonight we're getting a ComRes, and a Survation poll tonight for the Mirror, the Mirror have commissioned a series of polls by Survation between now and the election.

Will be interested to see the UKIP share of the vote as they are typically very UKIP friendly. That is assuming its a national poll and not a constituency one.
  • Options

Cyclefree said:

TGOHF said:

saddened said:

TGOHF said:

Depends how frequently they turn up! :)
    Well, the same could be said of the debates!

• Options
    rcs1000 said:

Socrates said:

rcs1000 said:

Investment banks, which give their employees unprecedented degrees of freedom to make money, will likely end up paying fines and firing employees with alarming regularity. But this is also why compliance departments have become increasingly important within banks; because, in the real world, it is costly to hand over billions of dollars to regulators, and most banks would rather not do so.

The "unprecedented degrees of freedom" is all about turning the other way while you allow your employees to make money through dishonest and illegal means. The compliance departments are just there as a fig leaf so that the banks can claim "It was a bad apple! Nothing to do with me gov!" Compliance departments are regularly staffed with the least able people at a bank, because the banks aren't serious about actually stopping the illegal activity.

They're quite happy to pay fines if it allows them to engage in activity that makes more money than they pay out. These fines are considered as a cost of business: something to be kept to a minimum, but ready to be paid if they allow a greater revenue to be made. No organization who was serious about behaving in an ethical manner would have so many crimes be committed on such a regular basis.

Their corruption and lack of ethics is shown even further by the fact that they lean on American politicians to lean on the SEC not to press charges. The leaked Goldman tapes show that SEC officials were scared of angering Goldman in their investigations, because they know they would face retribution. Also see the amount of money they donated to Republican politicians to stop a consumer protection bureau being enacted.

Face it, Goldman Sachs is an immoral, corrupt organisation that only cares about their own greed for money, and doesn't give a damn about who is harmed by their actions.
    You have provided no evidence, not even a shred, that Goldman Sachs is any different from any other firm in financial services. Nor that it is any more immoral than any other company. Your allegations regarding compliance are also completely off-base.

Essentially, you have decided they are criminal, and now seek to find evidence to back up your world view.

Cognitive dissonance.
    I am not sure how many other firms have helped whole countries circumvent EU rules to allow them to enter a currency union. As immoral activities go that is quite a whopper.
  • Options
    saddened said:

Brilliant! Nicely tongue in cheek.

Well, thank you. I certainly think the threat of non-attendance by certain Party leaders has concentrated minds though I'm not sure most people would have noticed.

We could easily have replaced David Cameron with an empty chair and no one would have noticed.

We could have replaced Ed Miliband with a small fridge freezer (light off) and no one would have noticed.

We could have replaced Nigel Farage with a small hatstand with a fedora or a trilby perched at a jaunty angle and no one would have noticed.

As for Nick Clegg, well, I couldn't possibly say, could I ?

• Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    Cyclefree said:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/women/womens-politics/11368822/How-do-we-keep-girls-safe.html

How very very depressing that this should be happening to British girls.

Cyclefree said:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/women/womens-politics/11368822/How-do-we-keep-girls-safe.html

On BBC1 at 2030 tonight I see. Sounds worth watching.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 36,013
    rcs1000 said:

surbiton said:

taffys said:

taffys said:

I think Sutton & Cheam and Carshalton & Wallington are safe, and probably Southwark & Bermondsey, so long as Simon Hughes is candidate.
  • Options
    The ComRes Phone poll will be published at 10pm
  • Options
    scotslassscotslass Posts: 912
    Surbiton

As I pointed out to you yesterday the MORI Scotland sample is not 775 but 1001. The lower figure refers to the "certain to vote" category. The base of the sample is 1001. This is the normal MORI methodology and has been for many years.

You may wish to believe or not believe the MORI results. That is your perogative, although the state of the Scottish polls seems clear enough across the polling organisations. However, you should not suggest that there is a difficulty with the size of the MORI sample becasue there is not.
  • Options
    Ishmael_XIshmael_X Posts: 3,664
    Cyclefree said:

Cyclefree said:

Why? Your points seem to be that the regulatory system is toothless, which excuses nothing, and that GS can rely on some kind of "we only did what we were paid to do" defence over Greece, which it can't.

• Options

Cyclefree said:

Indeed - but in the way that I feel I ought to watch the Hitchcock film made about the camps at the end of the war. It will sadden and enrage me.

This particular issue has been around for ages and ages - and heroic as the attempts to deal with are, it all seems too little too late. These girls simply aren't seen as important enough for people to make the sort of sustained, patient and consistent effort that's needed, year in, year out.

We're so busy passing Equality Acts and worrying about body image issues for women and size zeros in fashion that we forget the real plight of real girls and women who suffer in ways that the rest of us can only imagine. It's shameful.
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

Socrates said:

rcs1000 said:

Investment banks, which give their employees unprecedented degrees of freedom to make money, will likely end up paying fines and firing employees with alarming regularity. But this is also why compliance departments have become increasingly important within banks; because, in the real world, it is costly to hand over billions of dollars to regulators, and most banks would rather not do so.

The "unprecedented degrees of freedom" is all about turning the other way while you allow your employees to make money through dishonest and illegal means. The compliance departments are just there as a fig leaf so that the banks can claim "It was a bad apple! Nothing to do with me gov!" Compliance departments are regularly staffed with the least able people at a bank, because the banks aren't serious about actually stopping the illegal activity.

They're quite happy to pay fines if it allows them to engage in activity that makes more money than they pay out. These fines are considered as a cost of business: something to be kept to a minimum, but ready to be paid if they allow a greater revenue to be made. No organization who was serious about behaving in an ethical manner would have so many crimes be committed on such a regular basis.

Their corruption and lack of ethics is shown even further by the fact that they lean on American politicians to lean on the SEC not to press charges. The leaked Goldman tapes show that SEC officials were scared of angering Goldman in their investigations, because they know they would face retribution. Also see the amount of money they donated to Republican politicians to stop a consumer protection bureau being enacted.

Face it, Goldman Sachs is an immoral, corrupt organisation that only cares about their own greed for money, and doesn't give a damn about who is harmed by their actions.
    You have provided no evidence, not even a shred, that Goldman Sachs is any different from any other firm in financial services. Nor that it is any more immoral than any other company. Your allegations regarding compliance are also completely off-base.

Essentially, you have decided they are criminal, and now seek to find evidence to back up your world view.

Cognitive dissonance.
    I am not sure how many other firms have helped whole countries circumvent EU rules to allow them to enter a currency union. As immoral activities go that is quite a whopper.
    I thought helping Greece hide the size of its deficit was after they were in the eurozone.
  • Options
    Danny565Danny565 Posts: 8,091
    Sean_F said:

rcs1000 said:

surbiton said:

taffys said:

taffys said:

I think Sutton & Cheam and Carshalton & Wallington are safe, and probably Southwark & Bermondsey, so long as Simon Hughes is candidate.
    Is the Sutton & Cheam MP very popular himself, or is it more that the Lib Dem council is very popular? If it's just the latter, I'm not sure I'd necessarily expect that to translate over to the general election (irrespective of what the Ashcroft polls say)
  • Options
    Ishmael_X said:

Cyclefree said:

Cyclefree said:

Why? Your points seem to be that the regulatory system is toothless, which excuses nothing, and that GS can rely on some kind of "we only did what we were paid to do" defence over Greece, which it can't.

No - I didn't say either of those things. Rather that the regulatory system has a number of tools at its disposal and it is foolish - without knowing the facts - to assume as some posters today have done that the reason why a particular course of action was adopted was because of corruption or some other criminal or immoral behaviour.

Second, I didn't excuse GS or any other bank. What I did say was that the governments which took the actions they did are responsible for what they did. Blaming others for your own actions because you don't like the consequences of what you chose to do is the mark of the immature.

And finally investigators do not rely on reading or analysing what people - even bigwigs - choose to give them. Believe it or not. We find out what people don't want to tell us or think they have hidden. And it is very difficult indeed to hide things these days, certainly in banks and governments. It is amazing what otherwise apparently intelligent people will commit to a record.
  • Options
    antifrank said:

No, we just refuse to get involved in the silly "teenage party" game.
    "If so-and-so isn't going/is going, then I'm not going."

• Options
    ArtistArtist Posts: 1,883
    Highest UKIP of the year with Survation..
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,291
    Harry Cole ‏@MrHarryCole 32s32 seconds ago
    CON 31% (+2); LAB 30% (-2); UKIP 23% (+3); LD 7% (-4); SNP 5% (+2); GRE 3% (+1); OTHER 1% (0) - @Survation
  • Options
    Survation poll

Headline voting intention (with change in brackets since 24 December 2014):

CON 31% (+2); LAB 30% (-2); UKIP 23% (+3); LD 7% (-4); SNP 5% (+2); GRE 3% (+1); OTHER 1% (0)
  • Options
    edited January 2015
    In response to RCS who said this: "I thought helping Greece hide the size of its deficit was after they were in the eurozone."

A political decision was made to allow Greece to join the euro. Those who knew were perfectly well aware that its figures had been massaged and that it was not ready to join. They were warned. They ignored the warnings.

But politicians and others believed what they wanted to believe and hoped that it would all work out all right. They were wrong.

A bit late now to start getting all sanctimoniously priggish about what those governments and their advisors were up to.

• Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 36,013

Survation poll

CON 31% (+2); LAB 30% (-2); UKIP 23% (+3); LD 7% (-4); SNP 5% (+2); GRE 3% (+1); OTHER 1% (0)

Survation are clearly the new gold standard.
  • Options
    maaarshmaaarsh Posts: 3,391
    Sean_F said:

Survation poll

UKIP stealing the Conservative's votes again...
  • Options
    saddened said:

They may be lucky and not have any photos of a gurning Nigel sharing a pint with him.
    He probably fell out with somebody or lots of somebodies fell out with him. He seems a bit of a ranter. But don't worry, St Nige has been worried about him for quite a few months and UKIP are well shut of him now that he has come to the end of the road.
  • Options
    PongPong Posts: 4,693
    Alistair said:

I see The Good Lord is promising his Scottish Constituency polling next week.

Just 7 days left to hunt out the value people.

Also, anyone interested in playing a game of "Which Scottish Consituency NOT polled by Ashcroft will see the largest SNP implied odds change?".

I'll go for Coatbridge, Chryston & Bellshill, and as a fall back incase that one is polled Ayrshire Central

I doubt the 4/1 on the SNP in Kirkcaldy will last into next week.

http://www.oddschecker.com/politics/british-politics/kirkcaldy-and-cowdenbeath/winning-party
  • Options
    maaarshmaaarsh Posts: 3,391
    Cyclefree said:

In response to RCS who said this: "I thought helping Greece hide the size of its deficit was after they were in the eurozone."

A political decision was made to allow Greece to join the euro. Those who knew were perfectly well aware that its figures had been massaged and that it was not ready to join. They were warned. They ignored the warnings.

But politicians and others believed what they wanted to believe and hoped that it would all work out all right. They were wrong.

A bit late now to start getting all sanctimoniously priggish about what those governments and their advisors were up to.

Whilst I tend to agree with most of what you're saying, you may want to be careful calling others priggish whilst playing the 'trust me, I'd a doctor' card in quite such a condescending manner.
  • Options
    ArtistArtist Posts: 1,883
    Survation also asked how people would vote thinking about their own constituency. Not much difference.
    Con 31 Lab 31 UKIP 21 LD 7 SNP 4 Gre 3

http://survation.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/01/Daily-Mirror-General-Election-Poll-I.pdf
  • Options
    MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,322
    Per Wiki the last Survation was 30/33/10/21/3.

So changes look wrong?
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

I thought helping Greece hide the size of its deficit was after they were in the eurozone.

Not according to Nick Dunbar and Newsnight.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4tnmkkLo1mE

This shows the plan with Goldman Sachs started prior to entry in order to allow Greece to show 'directionality' in reducing debt.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,667

antifrank said:

No, we just refuse to get involved in the silly "teenage party" game.
    "If so-and-so isn't going/is going, then I'm not going."

No instead you do the "Oh they are going, well I'm not going in that case".
  • Options
    Ishmael_XIshmael_X Posts: 3,664
    Cyclefree said:

It is hardly "sanctimoniously priggish" to object to lying and false accounting. I assume that's what you mean by "massaging the figures".
  • Options
    maaarsh said:

Cyclefree said:

Whilst I tend to agree with most of what you're saying, you may want to be careful calling others priggish whilst playing the 'trust me, I'd a doctor' card in quite such a condescending manner.
    Well if that's how it came across it was not my intention. I certainly was not accusing rcs or anyone else of it. I try and avoid making personal comments about other posters.

There is a very strong critique to be made of banks and governments, which has not been IMO been made strongly or devastatingly enough, largely because those who know are usually unable to talk and those who write about it - and I am referring to commentators/the press rather than anyone here - don't bother doing any effective research when there is quite a lot of material available.

• Options

rcs1000 said:

This shows the plan with Goldman Sachs started prior to entry in order to allow Greece to show 'directionality' in reducing debt.
    I am probably completely wrong ☺
  • Options
    Artist said:

Highest UKIP of the year with Survation..

Don't you mean highest Tory and lowest Labour?
    Please now can we have lots of posts about tables and methodologies and circles of silence and false memory and apportioning don't knows and Sun readers?
    I cannot wait, I miss them so.

Because someone needs to come up with an explanation of what's happening with the polls. I used to think all you had to say was 'Lord Ashcroft', but even that does not seem to make any sense any more.
  • Options
    Archduke Foxy is open for business in PB Diplomacy V.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

I am probably completely wrong ☺
    To be fair it is an argument between the two sides. Greece and Goldman Sachs claim the swaps happened after entry whilst the various investigators say it was before... which makes more sense. Indeed the GS email to Eurostat which apparently shows that they agreed to the swaps dates from before entry.
  • Options
    New Thread
  • Options
    Ishmael_X said:

Cyclefree said:

It is hardly "sanctimoniously priggish" to object to lying and false accounting. I assume that's what you mean by "massaging the figures".
    You assume wrong. False accounting is a specific criminal offence. Government accounts and statistics are - well, pretty much, what they want to tell you. I didn't use that phrase because to me it means something specific. That's all.

If the euro had worked out well for Greece, no-one would have given a tinker's cuss for what the Greek government and/or GS or anyone else did at the time.

• Options

Pulpstar said:

isam said:

Scott_P said:

Got it.

Took me over a year but didn't want to rush things! Also visited newer London stations built/relocated since then, naturally!

EDIT this was the most poignant:
    https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Bethnal_Green_stn_memorial_plaque.JPG?uselang=en-gb
    It's exceptionally poignant for me, Sunil.

My parents and their families lived just down the road by London Fields. They might very easily have been killed too. You know it was a false alarm?

I heard that the locals had to fight a fair bit of opposition to have that plaque put up. It's quite recent, isn't it? Scandalous if true.
  • Options
    surbitonsurbiton Posts: 13,549
    Sean_F said:

rcs1000 said:

surbiton said:

taffys said:

taffys said:

I find it extraordinary that the Lib Dems are losing two-thirds of their 2010 votes and yet can manage to hold on to a seat which needs only 1.6% swing.

For , at least, two years or more we have found that more GE2010 Lib Dems will actually vote Labour than LD !! Recently there has been seepage towards both UKIP and the Greens [ both protest votes ]
  • Options
    JohnLilburneJohnLilburne Posts: 6,018
    edited January 2015
    MikeL said:

Per Wiki the last Survation was 30/33/10/21/3.

So changes look wrong?

I am wondering if there was an unpublished poll with the data gathered on Christmas Eve. If the changes refer to the last published poll the fieldwork was 18-19 Dec, not 24th.

• Options
    Cyclefree said:

Cyclefree said:

Indeed - but in the way that I feel I ought to watch the Hitchcock film made about the camps at the end of the war. It will sadden and enrage me.

This particular issue has been around for ages and ages - and heroic as the attempts to deal with are, it all seems too little too late. These girls simply aren't seen as important enough for people to make the sort of sustained, patient and consistent effort that's needed, year in, year out.

We're so busy passing Equality Acts and worrying about body image issues for women and size zeros in fashion that we forget the real plight of real girls and women who suffer in ways that the rest of us can only imagine. It's shameful.
    The brutality of the Hitchcock film was numbing. In many ways I found the quiet matter of fact interviews in Shoah parts 1 and 2 even more disturbing.

Travelling across Eastern Europe last year, I could see the ghosts of the European Jewish civilisation everywhere.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

Survation poll

Only when you look in "The Mirror" do you see reality as a folly. I will call this!

:outlier-alert:
This discussion has been closed.