Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Interesting new leaders’ betting market – but where’s the v

Comments

• Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,255
    RodCrosby said:

Cyclefree said:

Cyclefree said:

Ishmael_X said:

Pulpstar said:

@Luckyguy1983

I don't think we can discuss that freely, but from a betting perspective the MODERATED issue is a potential drag on the Conservatives potentially.

Oh -I thought you can't libel the dead, hence all the newspapers now publishing the allegations that Brittan was actively involved rather than just alledgedly negligent. It seems odd that we can't discuss something that was in this morning's Metro, but of course it's not my site and I will abide by any rules on it.
    Not sure there's a blanket ban.

His death does clear the air a bit. It was previously possible to get the impression that the worst charge against him was being a bit careless with important paperwork.
    Quite.

What baffles me is why the dossier was given to Brittan in the first place. Such an odd choice.
    Because he was the Home Secretary and this fell within his department's remit. Of course, Dickens could have reported the matters to the police. Did he? Curious if he didn't. They're the obvious people to report crimes to.

The ST this weekend reported on Dickens being pleased with how Brittan had handled the matter and the help that had been given. Not quite how it has been reported.

Unless Dicken was insane, the obvious conclusion is that Brittan was not named in the dossier.
    What's most puzzling to me is why Dickens didn't keep a copy of what he handed over.
    He was burgled after handing in the dossier.

Thanks. Didn't know that. But see the other poster from Peter_the_Punter below.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,245
    Cyclefree said:

rcs1000 said:

Cyclefree said:

Indeed. Well, we are where we are. The EU would be well advised IMO not to ignore the consequences of a democratic vote, however "stupid" they may think the voters to be.

Well, the EU and the various Eurozone countries can't be held responsible for the democratic decisions of the Greeks. If the Greeks want to attempt to vote themselves more money, why should that impose an obligation on the Finns and Germans?
    Yes: neither the EU nor the IMF is under any obligation to lend money to the Greeks.

There are two 'actors' in this play - Greece and its creditors. The creditors are under no legal or moral obligation to change the terms of its loans to Greece. The German or French tax payer is not bound by the decisions of the Greek electorate.

If SYRIZA wishes to forge its own path, it is perfectly entitled too. And such a path may be better in the long run.

But Greece's creditors are under no obligation to anyone other than themselves.
    Legally you are right. I'm mainly interested in the politics of it all. Whatever happens, it blows a hole into the political impulses behind the EU and the eurozone in particular.

As I have written repeatedly, Greece has two options, of varying degrees of "shit-ness".

1. Leave now, decimating savings, and the real value of wages and pensions - but see unemployment (after initially spiking) come down quite quickly.

2. Grind through years of austerity as the "cost-productivity" gap between Greece and the rest of the world is closed.

SYRIZA has been elected on a platform that is not achievable. And even if the EU wanted to cave to Greece, it would not be able to, because of the clever way the troika's loans have been structured. The IMF needs to 'cave', and I can't see any circumstances in which it is in the IMF's interests to allow a haircut.

This does not mean there will not be maturity extensions, and coupon cuts; nor that the EU won't be able to find money for infrastructure programmes in Greece. But it does mean that there will be no reworking of terms without an agreement of supervision.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,399
    edited January 2015

I think this is a day on which we should remember who got it right, back in 1998:

Just to synthesise the thread, ole Leon was quite strongly in favour of the Euro wasn't he? No doubt a few consider that an even more heinous sin than the current accusations.
  • Options
    FlightpathFlightpath Posts: 4,012
    Cyclefree said:

taffys said:

''There is something fatally wrong with a system which imposes real poverty on those least able to bear it and encourages the rich, the mobile and the skilled to flee.''

The fault is not with the euro but the rubbish way the Greeks have run their country for centuries. Now, the fact they don't deserve to share a currency with Germany is coming home to roost.

Save for the fact that the same has happened/is happening to Italy, Spain, Ireland, Portugal.

It's hardly news that Greece has not been well run. But it was let into the euro. The eurozone now needs to reap what it sowed instead of sanctimoniously lecturing the Greeks as if they were the only bad guys in this drama. And it might be good if - occasionally - eurozone politicians thought about the people who are suffering from this monstrous experiment.

''Italy, Spain, Ireland, Portugal.'' - Well that proves the original point.

There may or may not be good reasons for the Euro. But irrespective of that, many countries were allowed to fudge the entry conditions. If countries like Greece were to be fit for the Euro they should have had their austerity much earlier.
  • Options
    RodCrosby said:

Cyclefree said:

Cyclefree said:

Ishmael_X said:

Pulpstar said:

@Luckyguy1983

I don't think we can discuss that freely, but from a betting perspective the MODERATED issue is a potential drag on the Conservatives potentially.

Oh -I thought you can't libel the dead, hence all the newspapers now publishing the allegations that Brittan was actively involved rather than just alledgedly negligent. It seems odd that we can't discuss something that was in this morning's Metro, but of course it's not my site and I will abide by any rules on it.

His death does clear the air a bit. It was previously possible to get the impression that the worst charge against him was being a bit careless with important paperwork.
    Quite.

What baffles me is why the dossier was given to Brittan in the first place. Such an odd choice.
    Because he was the Home Secretary and this fell within his department's remit. Of course, Dickens could have reported the matters to the police. Did he? Curious if he didn't. They're the obvious people to report crimes to.

The ST this weekend reported on Dickens being pleased with how Brittan had handled the matter and the help that had been given. Not quite how it has been reported.

Unless Dicken was insane, the obvious conclusion is that Brittan was not named in the dossier.
    What's most puzzling to me is why Dickens didn't keep a copy of what he handed over.
    He was burgled after handing in the dossier.

And his lawyer and three best friends also?

He was naive in the extreme if he didn't anticipate copies being lost or destroyed.
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,675

Cyclefree said:

Ishmael_X said:

Pulpstar said:

@Luckyguy1983

Quite.

It's one conclusion. Another could be that it was in some way an attempt to shame Brittan/others to resign quietly in order not to bring parliament and politics into disrepute. To which (if this is the case) they called his bluff.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    Apparently the NI parties need to be in the debates now for Cameron to be happy.

We've gone round the circle from clever politics back to chicken again.
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,926

90 minutes to latest LARGER (Lord Ashcroft randomly generated election result)
    Will Tories get a Bashir Bounce? Anywhere between a 10% lead either way is possible IMO

Had a liquid lunch?
    Full rack of ribs and a diet Pepsi actually at my favourite Sheffield restaurant Damons.

I will miss LARGER due to a marathon 3 film session at Cineworld starting at 3.50pm (the gambler), very appropriate, follwed by Mortdecai and culminating with a preview screening of Kingsman.

Life is tough being retired isnt it?
  • Options
    MarkHopkinsMarkHopkins Posts: 5,584
    Andrew Neil ‏@afneil

Trinity Mirror admits 71 stories across its national titles, with 45 bylines attached to them, were enabled by phone-hacking -- High Court

• Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,718
    edited January 2015
    I always knew Yorkshire was amazing.

Take that you La Grenouilles, from the heir of the Plantagenets.

@paulwaugh: Fact of The Day. Employment minister Esther McVey: "More jobs were created in Yorkshire last year than in the whole of France"
  • Options

@paulwaugh: Fact of The Day. Employment minister Esther McVey: "More jobs were created in Yorkshire last year than in the whole of France"

You doing tonights Unlimited screening?
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,036
    Alistair said:

Apparently the NI parties need to be in the debates now for Cameron to be happy.

That's ridiculous, and one of the reasons I'm severely wavering from voting for him in May.
  • Options
    AnorakAnorak Posts: 6,621
    edited January 2015

More a reflection of France's inadequacy than Yorkshire's supremacy. Totally the wrong side of the Pennines to be a proper county, whatever you and Geoffrey Boycott say.
  • Options

Will Tories get a Bashir Bounce? Anywhere between a 10% lead either way is possible IMO

Had a liquid lunch?
    Full rack of ribs and a diet Pepsi actually at my favourite Sheffield restaurant Damons.
    I will miss LARGER due to a marathon 3 film session at Cineworld starting at 3.50pm (the gambler), very appropriate, follwed by Mortdecai and culminating with a preview screening of Kingsman.
    Paid for by tax payers and national debt.
  • Options

You doing tonights Unlimited screening?
    Alas no. I planned to.

Was really looking forward to it. Will have to wait until Friday now.
  • Options
    Alistair said:

Citation needed.
  • Options
    edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,159

These businesses don't inconvenience their customers for fun. They do it because the government leans on them and threatens them with legislation. This is why in countries with less censorship-loving governments, they don't do it.

What a load of nonsense. Cultural norms and business practices vary for many reasons, not just because of government pressure. Things are, I understand, rather different in Japan:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-30698640
    Feel free to correct Wikipedia if you think the specifics are wrong. They trace the adoption of filtering by mobile network providers to a 2004 OFCOM recommendation, pushed in turn by the Home Office.
    http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Web_blocking_in_the_United_Kingdom#Mobile_Internet_blocking

Also ask yourself why mobile providers were doing this before most regular ISPs: Because mobile providers were much more heavily regulated (for some good reasons, like needing to avoid messing up each other's wireless signals) and easier to lean on.
    Ah, thanks for the link. If you follow ref 101 you find information about the 2004 Code of Practice. It was a self-regulation initiative by the mobile phone industry. The Code was set up by the operators, and Ofcom reviewed it (with help from the NSPCC):

http://stakeholders.ofcom.org.uk/market-data-research/other/media-literacy/archive/medlitpub/ukcode/
    Industries create self-regulatory systems because the government them that if they don't police X, Y and Z they'll legislate. If the companies actually wanted to do X, Y and Z they'd just do X, Y and Z.
  • Options

Had a liquid lunch?
    Paid for by tax payers and national debt.
    Politics of Envy?
  • Options

Had a liquid lunch?

Do let us know if the film can possibly be as terrible as it looks from the trailers.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Cyclefree said:

rcs1000 said:

Cyclefree said:

Indeed. Well, we are where we are. The EU would be well advised IMO not to ignore the consequences of a democratic vote, however "stupid" they may think the voters to be.

Well, the EU and the various Eurozone countries can't be held responsible for the democratic decisions of the Greeks. If the Greeks want to attempt to vote themselves more money, why should that impose an obligation on the Finns and Germans?
    Yes: neither the EU nor the IMF is under any obligation to lend money to the Greeks.

There are two 'actors' in this play - Greece and its creditors. The creditors are under no legal or moral obligation to change the terms of its loans to Greece. The German or French tax payer is not bound by the decisions of the Greek electorate.

If SYRIZA wishes to forge its own path, it is perfectly entitled too. And such a path may be better in the long run.

But Greece's creditors are under no obligation to anyone other than themselves.
    Legally you are right. I'm mainly interested in the politics of it all. Whatever happens, it blows a hole into the political impulses behind the EU and the eurozone in particular.

As I have written repeatedly, Greece has two options, of varying degrees of "shit-ness".

1. Leave now, decimating savings, and the real value of wages and pensions - but see unemployment (after initially spiking) come down quite quickly.

2. Grind through years of austerity as the "cost-productivity" gap between Greece and the rest of the world is closed.

SYRIZA has been elected on a platform that is not achievable. And even if the EU wanted to cave to Greece, it would not be able to, because of the clever way the troika's loans have been structured. The IMF needs to 'cave', and I can't see any circumstances in which it is in the IMF's interests to allow a haircut.

This does not mean there will not be maturity extensions, and coupon cuts; nor that the EU won't be able to find money for infrastructure programmes in Greece. But it does mean that there will be no reworking of terms without an agreement of supervision.
    None of the politicians in the eurozone has been honest with their electorates about what having a single currency means. And now this is coming home to roost.

Agree with you that there are no good choices for anyone. But it is going to make people even more disillusioned with democratic politics if they cannot - via that route - effect change. And given European history that's a dreadful message to send out.

Democracy in Europe has, in too many places, too weedy a root system and too short a history, for European politicians to be so casual about treating it so carelessly.
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    Pulpstar said:

Alistair said:

That's ridiculous, and one of the reasons I'm severely wavering from voting for him in May.
    If you've won a lot of concessions already, why not play hard to get and see if you can get a few more?
  • Options
    Anorak said:

More a reflection of France's inadequacy than Yorkshire's supremacy. Totally the wrong side of the Pennines to be a proper county, whatever you and Geoffrey Boycott say.
    Oh please

https://paganum.files.wordpress.com/2012/08/yorkshire-olympics-medal-table-7th-august-2012.jpg
  • Options
    MikeKMikeK Posts: 9,053
    Well, it took half a day but the Money Markets are finally beginning to tank. rcs1000 can rest easy that his forecast is going to be proven correct.

Alexis Tsipras is sworn in as PM, much quicker than most PBers and the commentariat thought; and thats why the markets are moving. Get ready for approaching storms.
  • Options

Had a liquid lunch?

Do let us know if the film can possibly be as terrible as it looks from the trailers.
    I think the gambler has had terrible reviews but I have a feeling i will like it best of the 3.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,543
    stodge said:

Afternoon all :)

Cameron's speech on taxation is a reason I could never support the Conservatives.

Don't get me wrong - I've no issue with tax cuts, especially and primarily for those on lower incomes though it's not just about cutting the tax rate now but the NI rate as well and there's nothing said about that today either.

My problem is that with the continuing deficit, the last two things we should be doing is a) spending more and b) taxing less. The first worsens the expenditure side of the balance sheet and the second worsens the income side.

In order to get the deficit down, the requirement is to BOTH cut spending AND raise taxes as we need to both reduce the amount going out and increase the amount coming in. The crisis in public finances was caused by Brown's profligacy after 2001 but it was exacerbated when income collapsed with the decline in economic activity after 2007-8.

Yes, by all means, close down tax loopholes and ensure the meaximum amount of tax is collected, again, no problem whatsoever and especially from multi-national companies working with other tax authorities to ensure the appropriate levels of corporation and other business taxes are paid and collected but I'd rather be hearing about things like that and simplification of the tax code than the usual Tory refrain of promising to cut "middle class" taxes.

I agree with every word of this.

The only people talking any kind of sense on the deficit and public spending are the Lib Dems and who on earth is going to listen to them?
  • Options
    antifrank said:

Pulpstar said:

Alistair said:

If you've won a lot of concessions already, why not play hard to get and see if you can get a few more?
    Indeed. Dave knows that broadcasters realise having the debates without the PM is a bit like having an orgy on your own.
  • Options

Industries create self-regulatory systems because the government them that if they don't police X, Y and Z they'll legislate. If the companies actually wanted to do X, Y and Z they'd just do X, Y and Z.

You are remarkably stubborn in the face of facts which contradict you. Now you are inventing a new 'argument' based on a palpably invalid generalisation. Industries create self-regulatory systems for lots of reasons, most notably to maintain their reputations or to apply consistency in standards.

Still, whilst it's entertaining correcting you, I have work to do. Toodle pip.
  • Options
    TheWatcherTheWatcher Posts: 5,262
    edited January 2015

Had a liquid lunch?

Jeez, who'd want to spend the last 30 years of their life doing that? Sounds like a prison sentence.
  • Options
    SocratesSocrates Posts: 10,322
    edited January 2015
    The broadcasters should just respond by having one debate with all parties, one debate with all the Ofcom-approved "major parties", and one debate with the top two. They're not debates if there's so many people up there that there's no back and forth. That's what Cameron is angling for, because his argument collapses if it gets put up under scrutiny. It's pathetic and shows a man with no confidence in his case.
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,623
    edited January 2015
    The Skibbereen Eagle ‏@theskibeagle · 2m2 minutes ago
    Message to Berlin? #AlexisTsipras' 1st act as Greek PM, deposits red roses at memorial to Greeks killed by Nazis όχι!

pic.twitter.com/N2W0aQBoAx
  • Options

antifrank said:

Pulpstar said:

Alistair said:

Indeed. Dave knows that broadcasters realise having the debates without the PM is a bit like having an orgy on your own.
    It seems pretty clear to me that David Cameron is going to turn up. These were his precise words, as reported by the BBC:

"Asked whether he would "turn up" for the debates, scheduled to take place in April, Mr Cameron gave no commitment but indicated he was happy with the changes made.

"I was told it was appalling and outrageous that I had suggested that you could not have one minor party without having the other minor party," he said.

"They have actually come up with rather more minor parties that I had in mind but I am sure they have thought it all through and they know what they are doing.

"Although I don't quite see why Northern Ireland seems to be missing out because as far as I am concerned that is as important part of the UK as Wales or Scotland."

He added: "I want to take part. They (the broadcasters) needed to do the minor party thing and they have certainly done that." "

That doesn't sound like a man who is going to back out to me, but a man who is turning the screw.
  • Options
    glwglw Posts: 9,556

Andrew Neil ‏@afneil

Trinity Mirror admits 71 stories across its national titles, with 45 bylines attached to them, were enabled by phone-hacking -- High Court

I look forward to the inevitable advertising boycott driving them out of business. I'm sure the campaigners are all ready to start it.
  • Options
    OblitusSumMeOblitusSumMe Posts: 9,143
    Indigo said:

geoffw said:

@Indigo "Birmingham metropolitan area has a population a shade over 4 million so I was a little out there but the figure is illustrative."

When you say "population of Birmingham", people don't normally understand the "metropolitan area" which includes Wolverhampton, Tamworth, Lichfield, Coventry, Nuneaton, Redditch etc, and anyway that was 3.7milliion in 2013. They understand the city of Birmingham, pop 1.1 milliion. Finland's population is 5.4million.

For fcks sake, the point is Finland has a tiny population compared with a single major city, not with a country of approaching 70m like the UK, arguing about if that tiny number is 1, 2, 4 or 5 million is pointless except for pedantry and cheap point scorers. Did you have a substantive point?
    I don't see that it has any bearing on Education systems anyway.

When my daughter is at school, can she tell that she is in a country of ~53 million [England], ~5 million [Scotland] or ~3 million [Wales]?
  • Options
    antifrank said:

antifrank said:

Pulpstar said:

Alistair said:

It seems pretty clear to me that David Cameron is going to turn up. These were his precise words, as reported by the BBC:

"Asked whether he would "turn up" for the debates, scheduled to take place in April, Mr Cameron gave no commitment but indicated he was happy with the changes made.

"I was told it was appalling and outrageous that I had suggested that you could not have one minor party without having the other minor party," he said.

"They have actually come up with rather more minor parties that I had in mind but I am sure they have thought it all through and they know what they are doing.

"Although I don't quite see why Northern Ireland seems to be missing out because as far as I am concerned that is as important part of the UK as Wales or Scotland."

He added: "I want to take part. They (the broadcasters) needed to do the minor party thing and they have certainly done that." "

That doesn't sound like a man who is going to back out to me, but a man who is turning the screw.
    The thread comments when Dave said he wanted in the Greens in the debate is going to be such a keeper.

Those poor Kippers.
  • Options

Had a liquid lunch?

Jeez, who'd want to spend the last 30 years of their life doing that? Sounds like a prison sentence.
    Its a one year thing.

Mrs BJ, i think you will like this, early retires from the NHS next year so I understand "more interesting" things (according to her) are fast approaching!!!
  • Options
    JonnyJimmyJonnyJimmy Posts: 2,548
    Hope this important bit of news wasn't missed here :smiley:

Sunday Sport
    @thesundaysport
    Ed Miliband lookalike is Britain's hardest bouncer. Meet him in tomorrow's @thesundaysport

https://twitter.com/thesundaysport/status/559068504356585472?s=04
  • Options
    edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,159

You are remarkably stubborn in the face of facts which contradict you. Now you are inventing a new 'argument' based on a palpably invalid generalisation. Industries create self-regulatory systems for lots of reasons, most notably to maintain their reputations or to apply consistency in standards.

Still, whilst it's entertaining correcting you, I have work to do. Toodle pip.
    You haven't posted any facts that contradict me. I said the government leans on providers adopt "voluntary" schemes. That's what Labour did in 2004 with mobile (heavily regulated, so they were easier to lean on), and it's what the current government is doing now with regular ISPs.
  • Options
    edited January 2015
    Cyclefree said:

That rather highlights the fact that the whole point of the euro was to abolish or very severely dilute sovereignty. Funny how now - when the proverbial is hitting the fan - people are talking about Greece being a sovereign state which has to stand on its own two feet. When the UK does the same it is roundly criticised for being old-fashioned and behind the times.

Also, Germany and Finland and others could have blocked Greece joining. They chose not to - for political reasons. They knew the figures were fiddled. They turned a blind eye. They too must live with the consequences of their decisions, not just the Greeks.

In all this debate about Greece, it's worth pointing out who hid their debts from the EU auditor. It was the Wall Street bank/criminal syndicate Goldman Sachs:

http://www.spiegel.de/international/europe/greek-debt-crisis-how-goldman-sachs-helped-greece-to-mask-its-true-debt-a-676634.html

For the vampire squid, European integration is just a good rouse that creates opportunities for them to stitch-up the people of Europe to create fortunes for themselves. Their rank self-interest and corruption over this stuff is why they should not be trusted on whatever claims they put forward when arguing for EU membership. Just as they lied over what they would do if we joined the Euro, they are lying again now.
  • Options
    SmarmeronSmarmeron Posts: 5,099
    Dave has only one more requirement, that the other leaders must wear clown make up, and only answer in mime.
    Michael Greene says that these are fair and equitable requests.
  • Options

Had a liquid lunch?

Which one?

Kingsman: The Secret Service has received very positive reviews from early critics. On Rotten Tomatoes, the film holds a rating of 100%, based on 12 reviews, with an average rating of 7.8/10.[24] On Metacritic, the film has a score of 76 out of 100, based on 7 critics, indicating "generally favorable reviews".[25]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kingsman:_The_Secret_Service
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,927
    DavidL said:

The only people talking any kind of sense on the deficit and public spending are the Lib Dems and who on earth is going to listen to them?

I appreciate the kind words, my friend, and though I'm no Conservative, there are many on here with whom I've been able to engage and debate over the years.

I can only hope a solid independent financial organisation scrutinises the economic policy platforms of the various parties and pronounces on those which are credible and those which aren't.

The Labour programme would not, I'm sure, pass any kind of rigorous analysis but I suspect there are flaws in the Conservative programme too and some of these were pointed out at the time of the Autumn Statement.

The other problem is that, as you no doubt realise, saying you will cut services and raise taxes, while it may be right, isn't what most voters want to hear.
  • Options
    antifrank said:

Except UKIP are a major party, as Ofcom have confirmed.

Same old Dave, same old lies.

• Options

Smarmeron said:

@Richard_Nabavi
    Blocking access to child abuse help sites helps stop child abuse?

Interesting thought pattern you have.

Now you are just being an idiot. I didn't design their filters.

But any PBers with young children who are happy for them to be able to bump into hard-core porn or other nasties on the internet are free to opt-in on their behalf. It's a free country.
    The thing is, I wouldn't leave a young child on their own to wander about the internet - I would use the internet with them, until I felt confident that they could find what they wanted without my supervision, and if I wanted any more peace of mind I could turn on any filter provided.

Why is it that I have to prove that I am of age before I can see a comic, otherwise freely published on the internet? It's absurdly prohibitive, and I don't particularly want to provide my passport number to my mobile phone company, as they have no business holding that sort of data of mine. I also don't want to be on some sort of "opted-in to view porn" list that hackers might be able to get hold of.

Can you imagine the Press reaction if it were leaked that Cameron had opted-in to be able to view "adult material" on his iPad?

Also - I do recommend that people have a look at the Oglaf comic, even if you do have to use your home broadband rather than your mobile phone.
  • Options
    edited January 2015
    Socrates said:

The broadcasters should just respond by having one debate with all parties, one debate with all the Ofcom-approved "major parties", and one debate with the top two. They're not debates if there's so many people up there that there's no back and forth. That's what Cameron is angling for, because his argument collapses if it gets put up under scrutiny. It's pathetic and shows a man with no confidence in his case.

Keep working up that meme.
  • Options
    Peter Baillie ‏@PBaillieUKIP · 9h9 hours ago
    DANIEL HANNAN: EU leaders' real fear? Greece quits and thrives http://dailym.ai/1EK5li4 via @MailOnline

• Options
    Socrates said:

antifrank said:

Incorrect.

UKIP are a major party in England and Wales.

The Tories, Labour and Lib Dems are the major parties in Britain.

Poor old Socrates, after yet another post yesterday showing your lack of knowledge on the debates I would have thought you'd have kept schtum for a few days.
  • Options

Socrates said:

Keep working up that meme.
    Conservatives themselves admit it: Cameron fears getting into a debate with Farage, because he would lose support to UKIP if he did.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,380
    taffys said:
    It was taken 3 weeks ago (see the small pirnt bottom rioght) and reported then. Usual problem of prompting to focus on a particular aspect, with an uncerttain relation to actual VI.
  • Options

Had a liquid lunch?

Its a one year thing.

Mrs BJ, i think you will like this, early retires from the NHS next year so I understand "more interesting" things (according to her) are fast approaching!!!
    Sounds like a divorce is on the cards.
  • Options
    ArtistArtist Posts: 1,883
    UKIP are in twice the number of debates they were initially planned to participate in, not a total loss.
  • Options
    Socrates said:

antifrank said:

He's entitled to his own opinion on the subject. The British public agrees with him that both should be let in, so opinion poll evidence suggests. (I don't, but I'm entitled to my own opinion too.)
  • Options
    edited January 2015

Socrates said:

antifrank said:

Incorrect.

Poor old Socrates, after yet another post yesterday showing your lack of knowledge on the debates I would have thought you'd have kept schtum for a few days.
    Just because you're embarrassed that Cameron is trying to back out again doesn't mean you should lash out at me.

However, the tide is turning for Dave. The broadcasters will call his bluff on the Northern Irish issue, and insist on empty chairing him. He'll be forced to attend lest he look like even more of a coward than he has already.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,718
    edited January 2015
    Socrates said:

Socrates said:

antifrank said:

Incorrect.

Just because you're embarrassed that Cameron is trying to back out again doesn't mean you should lash out at me.

However, the tide is turning for Dave. The broadcasters will call his bluff on the Northern Irish issue, and insist on empty chairing him. He'll be forced to attend lest he look like even more of a coward than he has already.
    I'm not lashing out at you. I pointed you were wrong or were you lying.

Why are you Kippers so precious?

Read the quote and Antifrank's comment.

Then you realise once you've misunderstood.
  • Options

Had a liquid lunch?

Its a one year thing.

I hope you enjoy shopping!
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 41,095

antifrank said:

antifrank said:

Pulpstar said:

Alistair said:

The thread comments when Dave said he wanted in the Greens in the debate is going to be such a keeper.

Those poor Kippers.
    How about this bet I offered?

Even money who gets the least % of votes in their constituency

You get Clegg, I get Farage

You said Clegg was a bet at 4/6 with the other three leaders involved, so Evens is a gift, not to mention your insider knowledge

Don't worry about having an edge, that's what betting is all about

How much?

• Options
    Socrates said:

Wall Street bank/criminal syndicate Goldman Sachs

I think I have some tinfoil here for you somewhere... maybe you could make a hat with it.
  • Options

I'm not lashing out at you.

Read the quote and Antifrank's comment.

Then you realise once you've misunderstood.

Antifrank's interpretation is incorrect. Cameron has said he's happy the debates are now including the left-wing minors, not that the final situation is one he's happy with. He then goes on about Northern Irish parties. The man's flailing, desperately trying to come up with new excuses to hide behind. I don't think this latest one will wash though.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670

Alistair said:

Citation needed.

But I am sure they have thought it all through and they know what they are doing, although I don’t quite see why Northern Ireland seems to be missing out. As far as I am concerned that is as important a part of our United Kingdom as Wales or Scotland

• Options
    Ascendant @ 16/1
    £15.00 EW Single 26/01/2015 14:46:54 30.00 0.00
    Total for this period 30.00 0.00
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    edited January 2015
    Socrates said:

What are you going on about? For a start there has never been the slightest suggestion of anyone being 'empty-chaired'. Secondly, what bluff? He hasn't said he won't appear, as antifrank's post quoting his words makes 100% clear. He has merely said (quite reasonably) that he he doesn't see why DUP should be left out if Plaid and the SNP take part. It's very hard to disagree with him, but it's not a threat or a bluff, it's an observation. Quite apart from anything else, he'll be conscious of the possibility that he might need DUP support to form the next government.

Your obsession with finding fault with everything Cameron does or says (or, more often, doesn't actually do or say) is quite remarkable. In this case, he has played his cards well; it's the others whose bluff has been called.

And accusing him of 'lying' for calling UKIP a minor party is beyond ridiculous.
  • Options
    edited January 2015
    rcs1000 said:

Socrates said:

I think I have some tinfoil here for you somewhere... maybe you could make a hat with it.
    Goldman Sachs has been shown to repeatedly break the law. Nothing tinfoil about it, even if financiers get precious when the rank corruption in the sector gets called out. Just because they use campaign donations to get politicians to drop the charges doesn't change what they've done wrong.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,135
    Totally O/T, but not long back from an outpatient session at our local NHS hospital. In at 0905, checked in electronically, straight to sub-waiting area.Preliminarty checks, X-rays, blood and other tests, consultation with consultant, prescription dispensed, made new appointment and out 11.30.
    Given that there quite a few others both in the clinic I attended and at Radiolology and Haematology, and Pharmacy was very busy, I really think that was good.
    And all staff efficient, cheerful and friendly.

Was also booked in for procedure; tomorrow.

Can’t, IMHO, say much fairer than that!
  • Options
    @Peterthepunter

I owe you a pint or ten :)
  • Options
    isam said:

antifrank said:

antifrank said:

Pulpstar said:

Alistair said:

Those poor Kippers.

You said Clegg was a bet at 4/6 with the other three leaders involved, so Evens is a gift, not to mention your insider knowledge

How much?

No thank you.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

@Peterthepunter

I owe you a pint or ten :)

Just enjoy, Pulpy. Won't happen too often. :-)
  • Options
    HHuzzah for Peter
  • Options
    Socrates said:

rcs1000 said:

Socrates said:

Goldman Sachs has been shown to repeatedly break the law. Nothing tinfoil about it, even if financiers get precious when the rank corruption in the sector gets called out. Just because they use campaign donations to get politicians to drop the charges doesn't change what they've done wrong.
    Would you like to hang a few facts on your allegation?
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Ascendant @ 16/1
    £15.00 EW Single 26/01/2015 14:46:54 30.00 0.00
    Total for this period 30.00 0.00

Boom!! Well done Peter the Punter
  • Options

Had a liquid lunch?

Which one?

Kingsman: The Secret Service has received very positive reviews from early critics. On Rotten Tomatoes, the film holds a rating of 100%, based on 12 reviews, with an average rating of 7.8/10.[24] On Metacritic, the film has a score of 76 out of 100, based on 7 critics, indicating "generally favorable reviews".[25]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kingsman:_The_Secret_Service
    Yes, that one.

• Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,863

Socrates said:

Socrates said:

antifrank said:

Incorrect.

They've had a bad weekend.

First, the defection of someone who they now say they knew was a baddun since July (the best bit is one of their dimmer bulbs claiming he should resign and fight a by-election as an MEP - bless!)

Which of course has completely buried Nigel's NHS $3billion more spending u-turn.

I'd be vigorously engaged in distraction tactics if I was them too......
  • Options
    DecrepitJohnLDecrepitJohnL Posts: 13,300

PS Ascendant in the 3.20 at Ludlow - 14/1. Obviously speculative but 17 runners declared so place odds good.

Came in at 12/1 -- Peter the Punter is the early leader in the TotY stakes.
  • Options
    Fyi the next major events in British Politics are going to happen in the first week of March.

Mike's taking a European holiday then for a few days and I'm guest editing.

You all know what means.
  • Options

isam said:

antifrank said:

antifrank said:

Pulpstar said:

Alistair said:

Those poor Kippers.

How much?

No thank you.
    I don't get it, why not?

You're getting a better price & better terms on a bet you make value & you don't have to pay on...
  • Options

isam said:

antifrank said:

antifrank said:

Pulpstar said:

Alistair said:

Those poor Kippers.

How much?

No thank you.
    There must be a reason that TSE won't bet with you on this issue, I wonder what it is?
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,193
    MikeK said:

isam said:

antifrank said:

antifrank said:

Pulpstar said:

Alistair said:

Those poor Kippers.

How much?

No thank you.
    There must be a reason that TSE won't bet with you on this issue, I wonder what it is?
    He feels bad about taking candy off a baby?
  • Options

Fyi the next major events in British Politics are going to happen in the first week of March.

Mike's taking a European holiday then for a few days and I'm guest editing.

You all know what means.

AV and Scottish Independence???
  • Options
    MikeK said:

isam said:

antifrank said:

antifrank said:

Pulpstar said:

Alistair said:

Those poor Kippers.

How much?

No thank you.
    If someone will offer me 4/1, I'll take Clegg vote share over Farage vote share. Not interested otherwise :-)
  • Options
    Socrates said:

antifrank said:

I thought that the OFCOM designation of major/minor parties is out for consultation, rather than being set in stone for this election. It may be that the Greens are also now named as a major party - thanks to their recent surge in membership and opinion poll support, perhaps.
  • Options
    In case TSE missed it:

IndyPeople ‏@TheIndyPeople · 34m34 minutes ago
    Benedict Cumberbatch criticised for using the term 'coloured' to describe black actors: http://ind.pn/15C8WT2
  • Options
    Goldman Sachs Group Inc will pay more than $14 million to settle federal and state charges after it violated "pay-to-play" rules, in a case involving campaign contributions to former Massachusetts gubernatorial candidate Timothy Cahill.
    http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/09/27/us-goldman-paytoplay-idUSBRE88Q12F20120927

Goldman Sachs Group Inc was charged with fraud by the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission over its marketing of a subprime mortgage product, igniting a battle between Wall Street's most powerful bank and the nation's top securities regulator.
    http://www.reuters.com/article/2010/04/16/us-goldman-idUSTRE63F3JX20100416

Wall Street giant Goldman Sachs has been fined £17.5m ($27m) by the UK's City regulator, the Financial Services Authority. The fine is for failing to tell the FSA it was under investigation for fraud by the US financial watchdog this summer.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-11238897

One particularly troubling incident was the Fed allowing Goldman to pretend it had gotten Fed approval for a derivatives deal designed to snooker Spanish banking regulators
    http://www.truth-out.org/news/item/27652-new-york-fed-goldman-in-criminal-investigation-for-sharing-confidential-information

Thus, while much of the Levin report describes past history, the Goldman section describes an ongoing crime — a powerful, well-connected firm, with the ear of the president and the Treasury, that appears to have conquered the entire regulatory structure and stands now on the precipice of officially getting away with one of the biggest financial crimes in history.
    http://www.rollingstone.com/politics/news/the-people-vs-goldman-sachs-20110511

Et cetera, et cetera.
  • Options

MikeK said:

isam said:

antifrank said:

antifrank said:

Pulpstar said:

Alistair said:

Those poor Kippers.

How much?

No thank you.
    You think Farage will poll better than Clegg?
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

MikeK said:

isam said:

antifrank said:

antifrank said:

Pulpstar said:

Alistair said:

Those poor Kippers.

How much?

No thank you.
    If someone will offer me 4/1, I'll take Clegg vote share over Farage vote share. Not interested otherwise :-)
    Im offering Evens Farage to beat Clegg
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,193
    isam said:

MikeK said:

isam said:

antifrank said:

antifrank said:

Pulpstar said:

Alistair said:

Those poor Kippers.

How much?

No thank you.
    Frankly, I don't give a toss about either of them. They are both background noise in the contest for the keys to Downing Street.
  • Options

isam said:

MikeK said:

isam said:

antifrank said:

antifrank said:

Pulpstar said:

Alistair said:

Those poor Kippers.

How much?

No thank you.
    Frankly, I don't give a toss about either of them. They are both background noise in the contest for the keys to Downing Street.
    So why "candy off a baby?"
  • Options
    Sanders: Communist Victory in Greece Shows the 99 Percent ‘Will No Longer Accept Austerity’ http://bit.ly/1GZk3GT #tcot

Tsipras, who came up through the Communist Youth ranks and has a son middle-named Ernesto in honor of Che Guevara, was sworn in as prime minister today.

Oh ho! Redder than Red. Is the hammer being readied to strike the head, and the sickle the guts of the EU?
  • Options

Had a liquid lunch?

Its a one year thing.

Does that mean fewer curries John?
  • Options
    @Socrates

So you've found things that come to - in total - less than 5% of the value of fines paid for by (any of):

BNP Paribas
    Citigroup
    Lloyds TSB
    RBS
    JP Morgan
    Well Fargo
    Barclays

Yet, none of those seem to be "giant criminal conspiracies".

Preumably, therefore, Citigroup is a giant criminal conspiracy too, as they've been fined repeatedly and had to settle criminal suits?
  • Options
    Goldman Sachs has been fined $800,000 (£466,000) by a US regulator for "failing" to ensure that trades in its dark pool took place at the best price.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-28122577

Goldman Sachs Group Inc. settled a U.S. housing regulator's lawsuit for about $1.2 billion, resolving claims the Wall Street firm failed to disclose the risks on the mortgage bonds it sold before the financial crisis.
    http://www.wsj.com/articles/goldman-sachs-close-to-settling-fhfa-lawsuit-for-more-than-1-billion-1408737438

Goldman Sachs and 10 other companies have been fined €302m (£250m) by European competition authorities for running a secret cartel to block competition in the market for electricity power cables.
    http://www.theguardian.com/business/2014/apr/02/goldman-sachs-fined-brussels-cable-cartel

Goldman Sachs Group Inc. settled charges with the Securities and Exchange Commission on Thursday, agreeing to pay a $22 million fine over allegations that the Wall Street bank didn’t have policies to prevent analysts from sharing nonpublic information with the firm’s traders.
    http://www.marketwatch.com/story/sec-fines-goldman-sachs-22-mln-over-huddles-2012-04-12-122890

Goldman Sachs will pay $US3.15 billion ($3.41bn) to resolve claims it misled Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac on mortgage-linked securities it sold them before the US housing bust.
    http://www.theaustralian.com.au/business/latest/goldman-sachs-to-pay-34bn-fine/story-e6frg90f-1227035236412?nk=1fcb9d91b93bb2ad4d6fb358d4f758dc

I could go on and on...

The company's business model is to make huge amounts by breaking the law, donate heavily to politicians to keep the regulators off their backs, and, if necessary, pay fines as an operating cost when they do get chased.
  • Options
    edited January 2015
    rcs1000 said:

@Socrates

So you've found things that come to - in total - less than 5% of the value of fines paid for by (any of):

BNP Paribas
    Citigroup
    Lloyds TSB
    RBS
    JP Morgan
    Well Fargo
    Barclays

Preumably, therefore, Citigroup is a giant criminal conspiracy too, as they've been fined repeatedly and had to settle criminal suits?

Socrates sees giant lizards and little grey aliens everywhere.
  • Options
    isam said:

isam said:

antifrank said:

antifrank said:

Pulpstar said:

Alistair said:

Those poor Kippers.

How much?

No thank you.
    I don't get it, why not?

You're getting a better price & better terms on a bet you make value & you don't have to pay on...
    I don't bet on private polling with other posters.

For the same reason I don't bet on embargoed polling.

It gives me an advantage that other people don't have which is manifestly unfair.
  • Options
    edited January 2015
    rcs1000 said:

@Socrates

BNP Paribas
    Citigroup
    Lloyds TSB
    RBS
    JP Morgan
    Well Fargo
    Barclays

You speak as if the fines levied on Goldman are an accurate gauge of their criminal wrong-doing, rather than watered down slaps on the wrists for a company that is, in allegedly the words of one of its own employees, "too connected to fail". Goldman has its tentacles more effectively in government than several of the other organisations you list, so it can dodge the fines better. That's all part of the game.

Although I am amused at the argument "The bank Goldman Sachs isn't a legally and criminally dodgy organisation - all these other bankers have been fined even more!"
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,031
    Good afternoon, everyone.
  • Options
    MikeK said:

Sanders: Communist Victory in Greece Shows the 99 Percent ‘Will No Longer Accept Austerity’ http://bit.ly/1GZk3GT #tcot

Tsipras, who came up through the Communist Youth ranks and has a son middle-named Ernesto in honor of Che Guevara, was sworn in as prime minister today.

Oh ho! Redder than Red. Is the hammer being readied to strike the head, and the sickle the guts of the EU?

The Skibbereen Eagle ‏@theskibeagle · 2m2 minutes ago
    Message to Berlin? #AlexisTsipras' 1st act as Greek PM, deposits red roses at memorial to Greeks killed by Nazis όχι!

pic.twitter.com/N2W0aQBoAx
  • Options
    kjohnwkjohnw Posts: 1,456
    i like this quote from the German finance minister
    "The Greeks have the right to vote for whom they want. We have the right to no longer finance Greek debt," said German minister Hans-Peter Friedrich.
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    edited January 2015
    In reality it's just petty-mindedness, since using the phrase "people of colour" is deemed to be acceptable. If "people of colour" isn't racist, I can't see how "coloured" can be.

In case TSE missed it:

Benedict Cumberbatch criticised for using the term 'coloured' to describe black actors: http://ind.pn/15C8WT2

• Options

In case TSE missed it:

That's the Oscar nominated Mr Cumberbatch to you.
  • Options
    stodge said:

DavidL said:

I appreciate the kind words, my friend, and though I'm no Conservative, there are many on here with whom I've been able to engage and debate over the years.

I can only hope a solid independent financial organisation scrutinises the economic policy platforms of the various parties and pronounces on those which are credible and those which aren't.

The Labour programme would not, I'm sure, pass any kind of rigorous analysis but I suspect there are flaws in the Conservative programme too and some of these were pointed out at the time of the Autumn Statement.

The other problem is that, as you no doubt realise, saying you will cut services and raise taxes, while it may be right, isn't what most voters want to hear.
    That last one is a bummer.

I can understand why, for electoral reasons, the tories have to promote the idea of tax cuts. It just undermines their fundamental point (with which I totally agree) that the current deficit is dangerous and unsustainable.

It is also, in my opinion, extremely difficult to put this forward at the same time as arguing for severe cuts in benefits which have a very savage effect on the poor of our society. Such cuts are, regrettably, necessary but to suggest this should be done to facilitate tax cuts is frankly immoral.

I am left hoping that, as we have seen in this Parliament, Osborne's bite is considerably less savage than his bark and that those tax cuts will be postponed to the time we are actually living within our means.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 36,013
    OGH reports a new Yougov poll for London

Labour 42%,
    Conservative 32%,
    UKIP 10%,
    Green 8%
    Lib Dem 7%.

That represents a swing of 4% from Con to Lab since 2010. On UNS, Labour would gain Hendon, Harrow East, Enfield North, Croydon Central, Ealing Acton, Brent Central, Southwark and Bermondsey, and Hornsey & Wood Green.
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

@Socrates

BNP Paribas
    Citigroup
    Lloyds TSB
    RBS
    JP Morgan
    Well Fargo
    Barclays

Socrates sees giant lizards and little grey aliens everywhere.
    And you're a pathetic sycophant to the rich and powerful, no matter how unethical and criminal.
This discussion has been closed.