Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The 7-7-2 debate format is just inviting a court challenge

SystemSystem Posts: 11,701
edited January 2015 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The 7-7-2 debate format is just inviting a court challenge

It was so easy last time: three major GB parties and no other vaguely serious contender. With the SNP messing up their legal challenge, the invites to send more-or-less wrote themselves. As is already clear from the saga so far, it’s a very different situation this year.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    The yellows may feel aggrieved to be in with the also rans, but it is where they belong. As do UKIP. Even before we were in the situation that one has single digit poll ratings and the other single digit MP count. The reality long denied is that there currently are and remain two major parties and only two. Prime Ministerial debates should be between the two candidates to be PM and that is the Prime Minister and the Leader of the Opposition.

I hope these debates go forward not because the seven sided debate is going to be serious but because the one on one had the potential to be just what this nation needs.

There are plenty or countries that have second tier parties like the Lib Dems who have a head to head debate without them. I grew up in Australia and watched their debates between the Liberal (conservative) and Labour leaders. I hope two party debates are a feature going forward as they provide a real opportunity for serious debate and not just a peacock parade.
  • Options
    edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,151
    This makes absolutely no sense. Why wouldn't the broadcasters want the debates? Of course they want them - they're better telly than anything else in politics.

I can't speak to whether there's a basis for the LibDems to make a legal challenge, but politically it makes no sense. They'd look terrible doing it, and in any case they won't want to pass up one last chance to turn things around.
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    I will not be sorry if they do not happen, but think the 722 format is fine if they do go ahead.

NI parties are sufficiently different to have their own debate.

Can the man in the Chicken suit be cloned? It seems one is now needed for Mr Farage.
  • Options
    DecrepitJohnLDecrepitJohnL Posts: 13,300
    Five left-of-centre candidates? The OP makes the mistake common to most of us -- we define our own views as "common sense" which is why both left and right agree the BBC is biased to the other side.

Should we not place the LibDems in the centre (or even on the right since they are in coalition with the Conservatives and led by the Orange Bookers)? And nationalism is not normally associated with the left. Alex Salmond would not be singing the red flag, and Plaid Cymru's appeal is probably cultural rather than economic, with its mixed bag of rural centrism: they may want low rents but they want low business rates as well. And the Green Party's position just seems to be, "we wouldn't start from here".

So that's one on the left, three in the centre or centre-right, two on the right and one all over the shop.
  • Options

I will not be sorry if they do not happen, but think the 722 format is fine if they do go ahead.

Yup, in Japan they had 16 and it went OK. 7 is absolutely fine.

The more likely motivation for having more people is that it makes it easier for the broadcasters to set the terms and make a viable empty-chair threat. If there are only two or three participants invited it looks like a matter of negotiation between the participants, but it's seven it's much easier to say, "This is the debate we're having, if you don't want to show up that's up to you".
  • Options
    peter_from_putneypeter_from_putney Posts: 6,875
    edited January 2015
    An excellent piece from you David, with the main issues set out most succinctly. It certainly brought home to me the dire state into which the LibDems have now slipped and the possibility that the party is now less than 15 weeks away from possible near oblivion in terms of its representation at Westminster.
    Small wonder that we hear so little by way of support for them these days from OGH, who appears instead to favour the red team.
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    6 parties want to bump welfare eg the spare room subsidy - I'd make it 6 left wing parties to 1.

The leaders of Lib, Lab & Kip wote a whiny letter to request more parties in the debates - well they got their wish...
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

6 parties want to bump welfare eg the spare room subsidy - I'd make it 6 left wing parties to 1.

The leaders of Lib, Lab & Kip wote a whiny letter to request more parties in the debates - well they got their wish...

That was designed as a political wedge issue, and the Tory side of the wedge turned out to be smaller than they'd hoped. (Not least because the "bedroom tax" branding is sharp and catchy, whereas "spare room subsidy" is weak and strained.) Opposition parties will tend to oppose things like this, regardless of their left-right positioning.
  • Options
    audreyanneaudreyanne Posts: 1,376
    edited January 2015
    A decent effort David although you persist in your weak throwaway that 'there is a very strong case for UKIP and a much weaker one for the Greens.' The Greens came 4th in the only national election held this parliament, just last year. Their case is strong.

Mike's thread yesterday crossed a border from mildly biased, which most of us tolerate, to mendacious. The tv companies did not threaten to empty chair Cameron, as he headed it. They said they would go ahead without a leader who chose not to participate. They didn't mention Cameron (and they didn't threaten to empty chair anyone).

That's important because, as you state in your article, it's actually other parties who now stand to lose more from the current proposal. I understand that Labour insiders are far from happy. It's far from certain that Miliband will now accept. And, as you point out, the Lib Dems are also none too pleased; Farage and UKIP, likewise.

I'm not really sure why there is such a fad for the tv debates from OGH & co. on here anyway. It may seem with it to have leaders standing on a platform debating, but it really isn't. There's nothing pizzazzy about the set up: it's terribly stifling, turgid and 1950's.*

(*Yep I know the first one was actually 1960: the format feels so 1950's.)
  • Options

TGOHF said:

That was designed as a political wedge issue, and the Tory side of the wedge turned out to be smaller than they'd hoped. (Not least because the "bedroom tax" branding is sharp and catchy, whereas "spare room subsidy" is weak and strained.) Opposition parties will tend to oppose things like this, regardless of their left-right positioning.
    Opportunist Sh1ts then ?
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    Were flags lowered when the Japanese Emperor died in 1989? I don't think so, not least because it would have angered our concentration camp survivors.
  • Options

Mike's thread yesterday crossed a border from mildly biased, which most of us tolerate, to mendacious. The tv companies did not threaten to empty chair Cameron, as he headed it. They said they would go ahead without a leader who chose not to participate. They didn't mention Cameron (and they didn't threaten to empty chair anyone).

"Going ahead without a leader who chose not to participate," is precisely what is meant by "empty chair".
  • Options
    Of course the Cons and Labour could send a substitute- say Boris, GO, May or Burnham, Balls and Yvette to he warm up debates - confirms their secondary status and hypes up the final main event.
  • Options
    edited January 2015

"Going ahead without a leader who chose not to participate," is precisely what is meant by "empty chair".
    Er, no it isn't, although judging by your earlier post about left and right this may not be easy to explain.

An empty chair means an empty chair. You leave a, well, empty chair. In fact what this would mean in practice would be an empty podium. That is considerably more embarrassing to the one being 'empty chaired' than if you don't have the empty chair / podium and, as I hope I don't need to elaborate, there is a big difference between the two.

Empty chair = an empty chair / podium where the participant would have been
    Going ahead without = no empty chair / podium where the participant would have been

The most embarrassing part of the empty chairing would be if the podium still contained the name of the absent participant e.g. Cameron or Miliband. The psephological effect would most likely be devastating.

Everyone else on here will remember the most famous empty chairing where the chair was left empty, but the table in front contained a tub of lard:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kmys4LH9jTE
  • Options
    edited January 2015

Er, no it isn't, although judging by your earlier post about left and right this may not be easy to explain.

An empty chair means an empty chair. You leave a, well, empty chair. In fact what this would mean in practice would be an empty podium. That is considerably more embarrassing to the one being 'empty chaired' than if you don't have the empty chair / podium and, as I hope I don't need to elaborate, there is a big difference between the two.

Empty chair = an empty chair / podium where the participant would have been
    Going ahead without = no empty chair / podium where the participant would have been

Everyone else on here will remember the most famous empty chairing where the chair was left empty, but the table in front contained a tub of lard [HIGNFY Youtube link cut]
    Were you even paying attention during media studies lessons? The communists over at the Telegraph and Spectator, along with pretty much every other news outlet, agree with the common definition of "empty chair". There is no need for a literal chair, and if there were, everyone would be talking about "empty lecterns" since there are no chairs. I blame Michael Gove.
  • Options
    edited January 2015
    Oh dear DecrepitJohnL … you have admitted you got it wrong but try to carry on arguing. You've really missed the point here. It would be bad enough to go ahead without one of the main leaders present, but a whole different ball game to leave an empty chair / podium in place of where they would have been, perhaps with their name card. That is what empty chairing means. It's a little sad that I have to spell it out.

Empty chairing is designed to draw attention to the absence of the person:
    http://www.theguardian.com/media/2007/apr/12/politicsandthemedia.comment
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/legacy/theeditors/2007/04/empty_chairs.html

And I'm afraid I didn't do media studies lessons. I did study politics though.
  • Options

Oh dear DecrepitJohnL … you have admitted you got it wrong but try to carry on arguing. You've really missed the point here. It would be bad enough to go ahead without one of the main leaders present, but a whole different ball game to leave an empty chair / podium in place of where they would have been, perhaps with their name card. That is what empty chairing means. It's a little sad that I have to spell it out.

Too young for national service? There is an old army expression: everyone's out of step but you.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,361

This makes absolutely no sense. Why wouldn't the broadcasters want the debates? Of course they want them - they're better telly than anything else in politics.

I can't speak to whether there's a basis for the LibDems to make a legal challenge, but politically it makes no sense. They'd look terrible doing it, and in any case they won't want to pass up one last chance to turn things around.

Agree with the first point - there are very few TV programmes nowadays that everyone talks about, but the debates are an exception. Pace Audrey, I expect you're right that they won't have a deliberate empty chair (or a barrel of lard) but it'll still be open season for the others to rubbish an absentee. The terms of the invitation seem to rule out contemptuously sending a minion - it's the leader or nobody.

But anyone can try a challenge and maybe get an improved formula if they win, participate anyway if they don't.

• Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,139
    edited January 2015

Too young for national service? There is an old army expression: everyone's out of step but you.
    Nope, I'm with audreyanne too on the definition of empty chair. There is no way it would happen - the lawyers would say it was an overtly political act. Which it would be.

I still remain firmly of the view that the lawyers would also be advising that a debate without one of the major parties in attendance would require that party to be given equal time to comply with the legal requirements. So another one-on-one interview at an equally prominent time.
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,894
    audreyanne.

"Mike's thread yesterday crossed a border from mildly biased, which most of us tolerate, to mendacious. The tv companies did not threaten to empty chair Cameron, as he headed it. They said they would go ahead without a leader who chose not to participate. They didn't mention Cameron (and they didn't threaten to empty chair anyone)."

That's precisely what they did and in as many words. Time to end your childish vendetta against Mike. You make yourself sound ridiculous.
  • Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787
    AndyJS said:

Were flags lowered when the Japanese Emperor died in 1989? I don't think so, not least because it would have angered our concentration camp survivors.

They were lowered.

It's simply the protocol relating to monarchs and the head of state of our allies, regardless of any previous "difficulties".

• Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,361

I still remain firmly of the view that the lawyers would also be advising that a debate without one of the major parties in attendance would require that party to be given equal time to comply with the legal requirements. So another one-on-one interview at an equally prominent time.

As I understand the law, it requires all parties to be given access to equal time, but doesn't inssist that they take it - otherwise a party that didn't use a PPB could force them all to be ancelled.

However, a 1-1 interview with Cameron would be fun too - lots of questions about "Why weren't you willing to have the other leaders question this?" There is undoubtedly a tactical case for refusing, but the downsides are clearly there too.
  • Options
    edited January 2015

As I understand the law, it requires all parties to be given access to equal time, but doesn't inssist that they take it - otherwise a party that didn't use a PPB could force them all to be ancelled.

However, a 1-1 interview with Cameron would be fun too - lots of questions about "Why weren't you willing to have the other leaders question this?" There is undoubtedly a tactical case for refusing, but the downsides are clearly there too.
    So Ed could send Andy Burnham to the first debate ? Wouldn't be refusing to participate.
  • Options
    IndigoIndigo Posts: 9,966
    edited January 2015
    JackW said:

AndyJS said:

They were lowered.

It's simply the protocol relating to monarchs and the head of state of our allies, regardless of any previous "difficulties".

I am not sure the flags are really the issue tbh. What really annoys people is the asskissery of the speeches and messages.

It comes to something when only the President of Iran seems to get the tone right
    "I extend my condolences to the Saudi government and nation as well as the Al Saud family on the demise of King Abdullah bin Abdulaziz Al Saud, I pray for the forgiveness of the bygone, patience of his family and success and prosperity for the Saudi nation and government.”
  • Options
    The proposed format of 7:7:2 will not go ahead.

There is no case for excluding the DUP, Sinn Fein, SDLP, the Alliance party and Respect on the basis of the inclusion of the other minor parties in the two seven way debates. Legally it's a nightmare.

There is the further problem of the exclusion of the LibDems from the final debate given the precedent set in 2010, their involvement in government and the 5:5:4 format required during the election period for the three main parties.

My patent "JackW Debates Solution" remains available at no cost, namely :

1. Regional debates in Wales, Scotland and Ulster.
    2. One national debate with Ukip, Green and Respect parties.
    3. Two final debates with Con, Lab and LibDems.
  • Options

Nope, I'm with audreyanne too on the definition of empty chair. There is no way it would happen - the lawyers would say it was an overtly political act. Which it would be.

Some threads ago I did wonder if the Conservatives' strategy was to duck the debate and then claim compensatory equal time, though the consensus was that an invitation to debate was enough.

On terminology, a quick sweep of the newspaper sites shows everyone is using "empty chair" in this context.
  • Options
    JackW said:

If you offer three of the four major parties all that air time and not the fourth, they would have to make it up to Farage another way or he will be on his lawyers like a shot.

• Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,205
    I suspect Ukip aren't thrilled by the watering down of the debates (should they happen). I think the inclusion of Plaid is a complete joke, but it doesn't matter how many candidates there are on the stage, Farage will be saying something very different to the others. To many his views will be repugnant, but I think the debates will offer Farage to shore up his vote.

I wonder what would happen if Cameron, Clegg and Miliband pulled out? Would the debates go ahead with the other four? It would be a bit out of order for the broadcasters to pull out because those three won't do it.

Personally I think the debates should simply be between those in with a chance of being PM and that's where they went wrong last time. I hope the debates do go ahead simply to get the Cameron v Miliband head to head which would be good to see.
  • Options
    Indigo said:

JackW said:

AndyJS said:

They were lowered.

I am not sure the flags are really the issue tbh. What really annoys people is the asskissery of the speeches and messages.

It comes to something when only the President of Iran seems to get the tone right
    "I extend my condolences to the Saudi government and nation as well as the Al Saud family on the demise of King Abdullah bin Abdulaziz Al Saud, I pray for the forgiveness of the bygone, patience of his family and success and prosperity for the Saudi nation and government.”

The speeches and messages, along with the flag lowering, are simply the form for these occasions and there is nothing out of the ordinary in what has happened.

The conflation of the death of the king and the flogging story has simply heightened the awareness of the these protocols.

• Options
    tlg86 said:

Personally I think the debates should simply be between those in with a chance of being PM and that's where they went wrong last time. I hope the debates do go ahead simply to get the Cameron v Miliband head to head which would be good to see.

I don't necessarily disagree with that, the problem will be with the OFCOM ruling, which while it doesn't say the broadcasters have to offer a place in the debate to all of them, it does entitle them to equal coverage in terms of prominence and placement, so they would have to be offered something substantial to replace the two hours free grandstanding the PM and wannabee PM are getting.

• Options
    How about a 90 min debate with the minor parties leaving at half time leaving the grown ups for the second half of Ed v Dave ?
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,787
    Indigo said:

JackW said:

AndyJS said:

They were lowered.

Agree - much less embarrassing than 'much loved' and so forth....
  • Options
    MonksfieldMonksfield Posts: 2,222
    The 7 format is ludicrous. Why have I got any interest in listening to Plaid or SNP? They won't be on my ballot. And too many at the table. And the Irish are right to question why they're not involved. Regional debates are clearly an element of the model though.

The English regional debate should be limited to parties that stand in at least 90% of seats. We know who that will be. If necessary there could be two of these.

The last debate should be straight Lab vs Con, as the only two leaders with any prospect of becoming PM.
  • Options
    OblitusSumMeOblitusSumMe Posts: 9,143

The last debate should be straight Lab vs Con, as the only two leaders with any prospect of becoming PM.

Why bother with the last debate? Miliband's prospects of becoming PM are fading.
  • Options
    Indigo said:

JackW said:

If you offer three of the four major parties all that air time and not the fourth, they would have to make it up to Farage another way or he will be on his lawyers like a shot.

Unlike the European elections Ukip are not a major party for UK wide general elections. That may change after the May election but presently their parliamentary status in national terms remains that of the Greens and Respect.

• Options
    edited January 2015

TGOHF said:

How about a 90 min debate with the minor parties leaving at half time leaving the grown ups for the second half of Ed v Dave ?

Not sure either of these are workable with the requirement to give the LDs and kippers equal airtime (and by implication, of equal prominence). They don't have to be at the debates, but they would have to be offered a pretty enticing prime-time alternative.
  • Options
    JackW said:

Indigo said:

JackW said:

Unlike the European elections Ukip are not a major party for UK wide general elections. That may change after the May election but presently their parliamentary status in national terms remains that of the Greens and Respect.

I might have misunderstood the OFCOM ruling, but I think Ukip is very much a major party when it comes to this General Election.
  • Options

Some threads ago I did wonder if the Conservatives' strategy was to duck the debate and then claim compensatory equal time, though the consensus was that an invitation to debate was enough.

On terminology, a quick sweep of the newspaper sites shows everyone is using "empty chair" in this context.
    Audreyanne and I can't be held responsible for the shoddy approach taken by the media...!

And the consensus was equally wrong on an invite being good enough to get around the legal requirement to equal time. There has to be an agreed basis for the debates. Agreement has nudged nearer with inclusion of The Seven. Certainly from a Tory point of view. But who attends is only part of what needs to agreed. All other aspects of the form of the debate need to be settled too. I imagine these are still being haggled over - which would explain the statement put out by the Tories yesterday which some took as them still wriggling.
  • Options

Five left-of-centre candidates? The OP makes the mistake common to most of us -- we define our own views as "common sense" which is why both left and right agree the BBC is biased to the other side.

Should we not place the LibDems in the centre (or even on the right since they are in coalition with the Conservatives and led by the Orange Bookers)? And nationalism is not normally associated with the left. Alex Salmond would not be singing the red flag, and Plaid Cymru's appeal is probably cultural rather than economic, with its mixed bag of rural centrism: they may want low rents but they want low business rates as well. And the Green Party's position just seems to be, "we wouldn't start from here".

So that's one on the left, three in the centre or centre-right, two on the right and one all over the shop.

:smiley:
  • Options
    Jack

"It's simply the protocol relating to monarchs and the head of state of our allies, regardless of any previous "difficulties".

I don't think it's the flags that are the problem but Cameron's eulogizing and his unnecessary visit to the kingdom. Fortunately the funeral is over so we've been spared watching him drape himself over the coffin.

Louise Mench oddly was excellent in her expression of revulsion at the behaviour of Cameron and Blair
  • Options
    PendduPenddu Posts: 265
    Why is everyone so negative about Plaid - they already have more seats than UKIP or GreenS and will have more seats than Greens after election and also possibly UKIP. The simple fact is that if SNP are invited then Plaid have to be.

Personally I would prefer a straight head to head between the two likely PMs on a UK wide level and separate 4 to 6 party debates in Eng, Wales, Scotland and NI featuring those local 'major' parties only.
  • Options
    OblitusSumMeOblitusSumMe Posts: 9,143
    JackW said:

There is no case for excluding the DUP, Sinn Fein, SDLP, the Alliance party and Respect on the basis of the inclusion of the other minor parties in the two seven way debates. Legally it's a nightmare.

There is the further problem of the exclusion of the LibDems from the final debate given the precedent set in 2010, their involvement in government and the 5:5:4 format required during the election period for the three main parties.

Respect are not in the same category as Greens/UKIP, for all that Galloway is currently an MP. They will struggle to stand a dozen candidates (11 in 2010). They aren't even registering as a blip in the national opinion polls.

Galloway is an independent, but he has a party label to dress that up - there's no case for dignifying that with a place in TV debates. Also, it's only FPTP that allows any distinction to be drawn between UKIP and the Lib Dems.

As I've said before it's a mess, because one is trying to shoehorn a Parliamentary system into a Presidential format.
  • Options
    Sod the debates. Surely the bigger factor, bettingwise, is whether many voters' increased spending power (from the combined effects of low petrol prices and a cheap Euro) will move them back towards the blue tent.
  • Options
    Penddu said:

Why is everyone so negative about Plaid - they already have more seats than UKIP or GreenS and will have more seats than Greens after election and also possibly UKIP. The simple fact is that if SNP are invited then Plaid have to be.

Personally I would prefer a straight head to head between the two likely PMs on a UK wide level and separate 4 to 6 party debates in Eng, Wales, Scotland and NI featuring those local 'major' parties only.

Personally I don't think the SNP should be invited. But the reality is that they could very well end up being important players after the election. That certainly isn't something that can be said of Plaid.
  • Options
    JackW said:

Clegg should not be in at least one of the debates, which should be between the candidates for Prime Minister. I suspect a 3-way debate would result in a significant switch-off, as many saw Clegg - who they have blocked from their consciousness - and went "oh God, it's HIM again....".

"Who's got the remote?"
  • Options
    Jack

"There is no case for excluding the DUP, Sinn Fein, SDLP, the Alliance party and Respect on the basis of the inclusion of the other minor parties in the two seven way debates. Legally it's a nightmare."

Surely the case is that those parties (excluding Respect) only compete against other NI parties so there is no point in having them at a debate outside Northern Ireland.
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

Penddu said:

Personally I don't think the SNP should be invited. But the reality is that they could very well end up being important players after the election. That certainly isn't something that can be said of Plaid.
    Plaid's 3 or 4 seats might be a helluva lot cheaper to buy than UKIP's 1 or 2....

• Options
    Edin_RokzEdin_Rokz Posts: 516
    I am finding myself agreeing more and more with Groucho Marx's comment : "I find television very educational, everytime it is switched on I go into another room and read a book".

Sorry people, I'm going to be doing something else whenever one of the over hyped media extravagansas takes place.

I would also like to confirm that I do not watch soaps (badly acted and formulaic), x factor/voice/strictly or other "competitions" (too many suspicious results), cooking and auction progs, finally, the excreable Big Brother/I'm a Celeb. Which leaves, too little else to have escaped the accountants pencils to be worth watching.
  • Options
    edited January 2015
    Penddu said:

I don't think people have anything 'against' Plaid, they just most people cant vote for them even if they think their policies are wonderful, so what they say isn't particularly relevant. UKIP and the Greens organize either directly, or through sister parties, in whole of the UK.
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

JackW said:

Indigo said:

JackW said:

I might have misunderstood the OFCOM ruling, but I think Ukip is very much a major party when it comes to this General Election.
    You have misunderstood.

The OFCOM statement is an initial assessment and indicates Ukip may be eligible for major party status but that the Green party was not :

http://www.newstatesman.com/politics/2015/01/tv-debates-ofcom-rules-ukip-major-party-greens-are-not

Includes link to full report.

• Options
    JackW said:

tlg86 said:

JackW said:

Indigo said:

JackW said:

You have misunderstood.

The OFCOM statement is an initial assessment and indicates Ukip may be eligible for major party status but that the Green party was not :

http://www.newstatesman.com/politics/2015/01/tv-debates-ofcom-rules-ukip-major-party-greens-are-not

I think that is like the Advocate General at the ECJ, ie. its almost certain to be the case. It would be awkward to plan on it not being the case and then at the end of next month, a week before the debates maybe get the final ruling which says basically the same thing.

• Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,374
    Surely the only obvious conclusion that can be drawn from this mess is that the Lib Dems are in serious trouble. A fresh Cleggasm was unlikely to put it mildly but it was surely the only chance left to save a serious wedge of seats by making them look like serious participants. I have little doubt that Cameron's hunger for those Lib Dem seats in the south and South west have driven a lot of his tactics on this. Debates in this format probably puts the lib Dems in the mid 20s rather than the low 30s.

It's all worked out rather well for Cameron. No doubt people will be calling him lucky again.
  • Options
    Roger said:

Jack

"It's simply the protocol relating to monarchs and the head of state of our allies, regardless of any previous "difficulties".

I don't think it's the flags that are the problem but Cameron's eulogizing and his unnecessary visit to the kingdom. Fortunately the funeral is over so we've been spared watching him drape himself over the coffin.

Louise Mench oddly was excellent in her expression of revulsion at the behaviour of Cameron and Blair

Roger, this isn't a party political matter. Labour would have done the same had Gordon Brown remained in power.

It's the governing pragmatism of having a dubious ally much like a rather unpleasing close relative that is necessarily present at family events.

• Options
    The broadcasters do not want the debates to be "killed off." Why wouldn't the broadcasters want the debates, in whatever form? They attract a large audience share. The debates are going to happen, and Cameron and the Greens will be there.
  • Options
    Last time the Chancellors also had a debate. Are we seriously going to have the likes of the Greens and UKIP putting forward their spokespeople for that position? Does anyone know who Ukips shadow chancellor is? What a mess.
  • Options

JackW said:

Clegg should not be in at least one of the debates, which should be between the candidates for Prime Minister. I suspect a 3-way debate would result in a significant switch-off, as many saw Clegg - who they have blocked from their consciousness - and went "oh God, it's HIM again....".

"Who's got the remote?"
    As a significant party of government the LibDems with 56 MP's have earned the right to remain at the top table for the debates. Whether the voters decide to reward them or not is another matter.

• Options
    edited January 2015
    DavidL said:

Last time the Chancellors also had a debate. Are we seriously going to have the likes of the Greens and UKIP putting forward their spokespeople for that position? Does anyone know who Ukips shadow chancellor is? What a mess.

Steven Wolfe MEP apparently.
  • Options
    Indigo said:

JackW said:

tlg86 said:

JackW said:

Indigo said:

JackW said:

You have misunderstood.

I think that is like the Advocate General at the ECJ, ie. its almost certain to be the case. It would be awkward to plan on it not being the case and then at the end of next month, a week before the debates maybe get the final ruling which says basically the same thing.

My view is that you have to earn the right to be included as a "major party" by previous results. Accordingly Ukip were correctly afforded elevated status for the Euro election but as yet have not met the threshold for Westminster elections.

• Options
    edited January 2015
    JackW said:

tlg86 said:

JackW said:

Indigo said:

JackW said:

You have misunderstood.

Thanks for that. As far as Ukip are concerned nothing has changed since that report was written, so I can't see any reason why they won't be given major party status. Do you know when we will get the final decision?

As for the Greens I doubt a few decent polls off the back of publicity concerning their inclusion in the debates will make any difference.

Anyway, I don't think you can have Clegg in a debate without Farage.
  • Options
    Roger said:

Jack

"There is no case for excluding the DUP, Sinn Fein, SDLP, the Alliance party and Respect on the basis of the inclusion of the other minor parties in the two seven way debates. Legally it's a nightmare."

Surely the case is that those parties (excluding Respect) only compete against other NI parties so there is no point in having them at a debate outside Northern Ireland.

Indeed but the 7:7:2 format includes the SNP and PC who are also "regional" parties.

• Options
    tlg86 said:

JackW said:

tlg86 said:

JackW said:

Indigo said:

JackW said:

You have misunderstood.

Thanks for that. As far as Ukip are concerned nothing has changed since that report was written, so I can't see any reason why they won't be given major party status. Do you know when we will get the final decision?

As for the Greens I doubt a few decent polls off the back of publicity concerning their inclusion in the debates will make any difference.

http://stakeholders.ofcom.org.uk/binaries/consultations/major-parties-15/summary/Major_parties.pdf
    Interested stakeholders should let us have their comments as soon as possible and
    at the latest by 5pm on Thursday 5 February 2015. Ofcom will consider carefully
    any comments received, before publishing by early March 2015 a statement, and if
    appropriate, any revised list of major parties. This will permit the broadcasters and
    political parties to plan ahead, aware of Ofcom’s decision on the list of major parties
    for the May 2015 elections.
  • Options
    YBarddCwscYBarddCwsc Posts: 7,172
    The debates are not of any great political interest.

But, they are great indoor game, like a rowdy version of Monopoly.

The Government parties fulminate against the treacherous behaviour of the Opposition, the Opposition parties lambast the idiocies of the Government.

There are of course ugly questions to answer about the future direction of the country, so it is nice to have our attention diverted by seven knockabout entertainers.
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

JackW said:

tlg86 said:

JackW said:

Indigo said:

JackW said:

You have misunderstood.

You may be correct but Ukip were not afforded major party status for the 2010 election on the basis of their excellent showing at the previous euro elections. We seem to be determining major status partly on the basis of the vagaries of opinion polls and the odd by-election.

Broadly my view is that major status should be determined by a combination of holding a bloc of seats at Westminster, in the 15+ range or 15% share of the vote or being in government from the previous election.

• Options
    Betfair most seats update - the move continues

Tory 1.94/1.95
    Eds 2.08/2.10

Just mentioning it.
  • Options
    EasterrossEasterross Posts: 1,915
    Morning all and good topic Herders. If the debates don't take part, it can be traced back to ludicrous decision of the regulator to accord major party status to UKIP. It has 2 MPs and no history of doing well at Westminster elections. It did well at the Euro elections before 2010 but got nowhere in 2010.

For all the bluster among Kippers on here, there is nothing to suggest UKIP will be anything more than a short term irritation on the centre right vote and once Douglas Carswell is the last man standing we will see how long Farage and chums last.
  • Options
    Indigo said:

DavidL said:

Indigo said:

DavidL said:

It is Woolfe with a double "o" apparently but having googled him I cannot say that I have ever seen him before. He is also their migration spokesman somewhat hilariously.

This is why I agree with JackW. As things stand in this Parliament there are 3 major parties. A debate between Osborne. Balls and Alexander would have been genuinely interesting and informative, uncomfortable for each of the participants in different ways. I really don't see what the rest bring to the party at all.

The criteria for participation should be set at something like 25 MPs in the current Parliament. Whether that would mean that the Lib Dems did not take part in 2020 (or for that matter that UKIP did) would be a question for the electorate.
  • Options
    JackW said:

tlg86 said:

JackW said:

tlg86 said:

JackW said:

Indigo said:

JackW said:

You have misunderstood.

You may be correct but Ukip were not afforded major party status for the 2010 election on the basis of their excellent showing at the previous euro elections. We seem to be determining major status partly on the basis of the vagaries of opinion polls and the odd by-election.

Broadly my view is that major status should be determined by a combination of holding a bloc of seats at Westminster, in the 15+ range or 15% share of the vote or being in government from the previous election.

That would serve the Lib/Lab/Con monopoly very well and not allow "others" much opportunity to break through.
  • Options
    saddenedsaddened Posts: 2,245
    Roger said:

They may be kingmakers at the next election so what they believe in should be exposed and questioned. It's not difficult.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,992
    There may be something in what you say, particularly in that the LDs seem to have come off worse in the latest proposals. It does become a matter of drawing a line, making a reasonable judgement, once you decide the major/minor party designation is not appropriate, and with any such judgement someone is going to be upset, and it comes down to how reasonable their outrage might be.

Excluding UKIP and the others last time seemed reasonable. Including UKIP but not the others this time was still pretty reasonable given the regional ambitions of the others and far less advanced reach of the Greens. But permitting the SNP, while not unreasonable from certain views, does sort of let PC in by default. Which is also fine in itself, but makes excluding the NI parties close to being unreasonable.

Too late to change now I guess, though with the admittance of regionally focused parties which nevertheless have significant votes and potentially high UK electoral impact (moreso the SNP than the others), Socrates' view of a debate for all, a major parties debate, then a prospective PM debate, seems the most sensible option. 7, 4/5, 2 seems fairer than 7,7,2 to me.
  • Options
    Time for Ed to stand up and be counted. He could do worse than just repeat word for word what Louise Mensch has just said. She got it absolutely right. Cameron like Blair lacks a moral compass which I think Ed probably has.
  • Options

JackW said:

Respect are not in the same category as Greens/UKIP, for all that Galloway is currently an MP. They will struggle to stand a dozen candidates (11 in 2010). They aren't even registering as a blip in the national opinion polls.

Galloway is an independent, but he has a party label to dress that up - there's no case for dignifying that with a place in TV debates. Also, it's only FPTP that allows any distinction to be drawn between UKIP and the Lib Dems.

As I've said before it's a mess, because one is trying to shoehorn a Parliamentary system into a Presidential format.
    I take the view that minor party status, and inclusion in the secondary or regional debates, should be determined by at least one MP or 5% of the vote within that region.

Whether Respect is a fig leaf for Galloway or not is immaterial. The voters have previously determined his election and he/they are entitled to such a status.

• Options
    EasterrossEasterross Posts: 1,915
    IF there must be any TV debates, there should simply be one between the 2 men who are the alternative options for Prime Minister. Ed Bland v David Cameron. None of the others will be a candidate for PM. Even Nick Clegg bless his cotton socks must look in the mirror every morning and still smile in shock at the fact he found himself elevated to being on a par with John Prescott and Michael Heseltine.

Personally I found the 2010 debates cheap distractions, good telly bad politics. We saw Nick Clegg get lauded in the media and then his party rogered at the polls.
  • Options
    Indigo said:

JackW said:

AndyJS said:

They were lowered.

Quite. That is the way things are done, of course, but there has to be a way to send an appropriately official honouring message of condolence which the saudi's would be happy with without descending to the level of bootlicking.
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 18,952
    I note the debate about whether a physical empty chair (or indeed whether any symbol of absence, such as a nameplate) is necessary for "empty chairing". You may want to consider the fallacy known as "Loki's wager"
  • Options
    Edwardian said:

JackW said:

tlg86 said:

JackW said:

tlg86 said:

JackW said:

Indigo said:

JackW said:

You have misunderstood.

That would serve the Lib/Lab/Con monopoly very well and not allow "others" much opportunity to break through.
    By definition three parties is not a monopoly and it is up to the voters to give sufficient support to other parties to break the threshold. Ukip have done so in the Euro elections and may do so for Westminster.

• Options
    edited January 2015

Personally I found the 2010 debates cheap distractions, good telly bad politics. We saw Nick Clegg get lauded in the media and then his party rogered at the polls.

As I recall the LD national vote share went up by 1%. Not as positive an outcome as they were hoping for, and the spread was less efficient as they ended up losing seats, but hardly getting rogered.

I suppose the justification for including outside the big two is that 'major' parties do exist beyond them in this country, and even in FPTP in extremely rare cases one of the big parties falls to be supplanted by a newer one, so your minor party today could potentially be major tomorrow. It seems reasonable enough. If anything, the broadcaster's are striving to be reasonable too much, in that they are accommodating the 'include practically everyone' crowd, while at the same time acknowledging those like yourself who think, if they must happen, only Ed and Dave should be there for at least one debate as only they can be PM.

I feel sorry for the broadcasters, unless it is true they are trying to get the debates cancelled just not by their own hand. They've attempted to please everyone and now the only people truly content are PC and the Greens.
  • Options
    George is really enjoying himself at Davos: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/financetopics/davos/11366659/George-Osborne-tells-Europeans-to-pull-their-socks-up-if-they-want-to-keep-Britain.html

Was anyone serious when they suggested he might be moved to the Foreign Office? George is many things but I am not sure that diplomatic is one of them.
  • Options

IF there must be any TV debates, there should simply be one between the 2 men who are the alternative options for Prime Minister. Ed Bland v David Cameron. None of the others will be a candidate for PM. Even Nick Clegg bless his cotton socks must look in the mirror every morning and still smile in shock at the fact he found himself elevated to being on a par with John Prescott and Michael Heseltine.

Please correct me, if I am wrong, but you seem to be saying that in our glorious democracy, somebody should decide, before any votes are cast, which two leaders are the only two who can win the election, and the chosen two should then have a monopoly over the televised debates.

• Options
    edited January 2015
    JackW said:

Edwardian said:

By definition three parties is not a monopoly and it is up to the voters to give sufficient support to other parties to break the threshold. Ukip have done so in the Euro elections and may do so for Westminster.
    The fly in this ointment is that we have to work in the real world. If OFCOM comes along in the first week of March and says that UKIP is a major party, then the media have to give them equal prominence, which doesn't mean that have to be at the debate, but if not they would need a pretty major bit of prime time compensation tossed their way. We may feel that is wrong, or that a hundred alternative arrangements and apportionments would be fairer, but OFCOM gets to call the shots.
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

TGOHF said:

Opportunist Sh1ts then ?
    They're certainly all opportunists. You don't last long in politics if you're not.

I don't think we'll agree on this, but IMHO out of the seven parties playing politics, the biggest sh1ts are the people who thought up the policy in the first place, since their attempt to create a populist wedge issue has come at the expense of some very vulnerable people.
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,904
    Until the campaign, the LDs were still expecting to lose seats from this 2005 peak. Clegg managed a huge turn around from the position under Ming. Nearly 7m votes was a good result and not far from labours 8.6m and the Tories 10.7m.
  • Options
    saddened said:

Roger said:

They may be kingmakers at the next election so what they believe in should be exposed and questioned. It's not difficult.
    Indeed. Most people, such as myself, know very little about NI politics, partly because it appears from a distance to be an endlessly depressing gridlock sort of situation sitting atop a powderkeg, but in the event that somehow Labour don't end up with a small majority, knowing something about what sort of demands and influence their parties might have, could be necessary.

I'd be happy to learn that by watching a NI debate (or reading about it at least), but opening the doors to the other regionalist parties makes it not unreasonable for them to demand more than that.
  • Options
    Kle4

"Quite. That is the way things are done, of course, but there has to be a way to send an appropriately official honouring message of condolence which the saudi's would be happy with without descending to the level of bootlicking."

The way would be to send Tony Blair. Those outside the UK don't realize his status is now somewhere between Pol Pot and Gadaffi
  • Options
    hucks67hucks67 Posts: 758
    The leaders debates will go ahead as the broadcasters currently propose and all leaders will turn up. There will be no legal challenges made, as it is not in the interest of any party to look as if they are trying to prevent them happening. Plus it would cost them money, which they would not get back and they would not gain very much if they won.

The only thing that might change is the date of the debates, because the parties may not want them too close to election day.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

saddened said:

Roger said:

Indeed. Most people, such as myself, know very little about NI politics, partly because it appears from a distance to be an endlessly depressing gridlock sort of situation sitting atop a powderkeg, but in the event that somehow Labour don't end up with a small majority, knowing something about what sort of demands and influence their parties might have, could be necessary.

I'd be happy to learn that by watching a NI debate (or reading about it at least), but opening the doors to the other regionalist parties makes it not unreasonable for them to demand more than that.
    The idea that anyone in a 10 person debate is going to be exposed to meaningful questioning is laughable, in a 90 minute format with maybe 6 questions to e discussed they get a maximum of a minute and a half on each question, less in reality once you allow time for questions to be asked and misunderstood. Any politicians that can't speak a set of warm sounding words on a policy for 60 seconds without committing themselves to anything awkward won't have risen to the post of party leader. Given that they only have around a minute to speak they will be far too busy telling people about their latest bit of tinsel anyway rather than questioning what any other the other politicians said. The whole thing is futile.
  • Options
    Roger said:

Time for Ed to stand up and be counted. He could do worse than just repeat word for word what Louise Mensch has just said. She got it absolutely right. Cameron like Blair lacks a moral compass which I think Ed probably has.

I know the power is mostly symbolic but there are some situations where The Queen would make a decision on whether Ed Miliband can be PM or not, so he should probably try to be a bit more diplomatic in what he says to her.

He should probably go for a more moderate and courteous formulation like "You can stick that flag pole up your arse, Your Majesty".
  • Options
    hucks67 said:

The leaders debates will go ahead as the broadcasters currently propose and all leaders will turn up. There will be no legal challenges made, as it is not in the interest of any party to look as if they are trying to prevent them happening. Plus it would cost them money, which they would not get back and they would not gain very much if they won.

The only thing that might change is the date of the debates, because the parties may not want them too close to election day.

I think the Ulster parties and Respect may take a different view as indeed may the courts.

• Options

The Government parties fulminate against the treacherous behaviour of the Opposition, the Opposition parties lambast the idiocies of the Government.

There are of course ugly questions to answer about the future direction of the country, so it is nice to have our attention diverted by seven knockabout entertainers.

The purpose of the TV debates is so the media can tell us who won (the audience don't need to do their own thinking) and advise us to back their man (apologies to Natalie Bennett) .
  • Options
    JackW said:

Indigo said:

JackW said:

tlg86 said:

JackW said:

Indigo said:

JackW said:

You have misunderstood.

My view is that you have to earn the right to be included as a "major party" by previous results. Accordingly Ukip were correctly afforded elevated status for the Euro election but as yet have not met the threshold for Westminster elections.

It is certainly arguable though, on certain definitions, which is more than they could really do before.

It would be pretty funny though if after all this excitement UKIP ended up getting 6% or something, well up on last time but so far below current expectations. I do want UKIP to do well, I think their rise has been a good thing but, oh, the consternation, the accusations - it would be amazing to watch.
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,904
    edited January 2015
    Despite Tory celebrations yesterday, UKIP and the LDs have a lot to gain from the proposed format.

The mega debate, due to the format will probably be a measured affair.

If Cameron and Milliband go at each other aggressively in their 1:1, as they surely will, they will put people off and be seen as "the problem". The other parties will be able to present themselves as the alternative.

This is UKIP's and the LD's bread and butter. And because of their major party status, The LDs and UKIP will have to be given substantial air time to reply.
  • Options
    taffystaffys Posts: 9,753
    edited January 2015
    He could do worse than just repeat word for word what Louise Mensch has just said. She got it absolutely right. Cameron like Blair lacks a moral compass which I think Ed probably has.

What, and risk alienating labour's key islamic vote?

Not a chance
  • Options
    edited January 2015
    Edwardian said:

The purpose of the TV debates is so the media can tell us who won (the audience don't need to do their own thinking) and advise us to back their man (apologies to Natalie Bennett) .
    The media already told us who won things before we had TV debates, so nothing has really changed in that respect. Perhaps they are just a sop to people who live in safe seats who like politics - hardly any activity round my way come election time, so watching the debates is as close as I will come outside of 10 second soundbites to someone trying to convince me to vote for their party rather than taking it for granted they don't need to/is not worth the resources to try. I might be so lucky as to hear some 30 second soundbites!
    Indigo said:

kle4 said:

saddened said:

Roger said:

The idea that anyone in a 10 person debate is going to be exposed to meaningful questioning is laughable
    I agree, I think it is too many, that's why I didn't have a problem with the original proposals really, but having conceded the point on 7, which is already a pretty ridiculous number (the only example I've seen, of the GOP debates, hardly made it seem useful), I think the broadcasters are finding it harder, though, not impossible, to explain why not to expand it even further.
  • Options
    edited January 2015
    kle4 said:

It would be pretty funny though if after all this excitement UKIP ended up getting 6% or something, well up on last time but so far below current expectations. I do want UKIP to do well, I think their rise has been a good thing but, oh, the consternation, the accusations - it would be amazing to watch.

Indeed. Although the joy of a normal curve implies they are just as likely to over-perform by 6% as under-perform by that much, and there would be similar reactions in other parties if UKIP came in at 22-23% with seats in the teens.

There is potential for amazing political theatre this year. Ed wins the election with a minority and scrapes together a threadbare shaky coalition with SNP, LDs blame Clegg and ditch him, Tories implode in acrimony and knife Cameron, UKIP blame Tories for being wishy washy, Tories blame UKIP for splitting the right. Labour coalition implodes over austerity or failure to pass SNP demands, Labour loses a vote of confidence, Labour Party knifes Miliband, second election in a year with both major parties in the middle of blood-letting. Fun for all the family ;)
  • Options
    volcanopetevolcanopete Posts: 2,078
    The main bout is the title fight to take place between Miliband and Cameron.I hope this fight is on a chin-to-chin toe-to-toe basis across a small table.It is quite right Clegg has been excluded for this event as it's clear they are now the party in 5th place with the other smaller parties.
  • Options
    Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 55,560
    JackW said:

I think that's fair. I would edit (3) though so the first final debate included UKIP, and the last did not - just Con, Lab and LibDems. That'd reflect their appeal fairly, but also the fact they have not yet achieved significant parliamentary status.

O/T - If the seven-way does go-ahead, I'm not sure it's bad for Cameron. He'll be the only one on the podium (unless Nigel pitches his economic policies well) expressing practical centre-right views. That's exactly where the average English swing-voter is, so, if he plays his cards right, he could sound very reasonable and moderate. That could rally a lot of viewers support around him.

Meanwhile the left-wing vote could be splintered several ways as they struggle to decide which version they want to pick most.
  • Options
    MikeKMikeK Posts: 9,053
    Good Morning all.
    The 7 coconuts in row formula for TV debates is a dead parrot walking to it's own dissolution.

I also cannot see why Cammo and Little ED should have a head to head debate by themselves. It would be putrid television, a boring PMQ going on and on for an hour to make people weep. Mind you, they would probably lose loads of votes if they did go ahead with it.

The broadcasters of this would be laughed at for ages. No, they need a debate with spice and we know what gives spice to any debate; Nigel Farage. The Networks just can't do without him.

In the end Cammo will get what he wants: no debates; unless the courts decide otherwise.
  • Options
    PS - respect to the thread photo caption writer - hilarious !! :)
  • Options
    DavidL said:

George is really enjoying himself at Davos: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/financetopics/davos/11366659/George-Osborne-tells-Europeans-to-pull-their-socks-up-if-they-want-to-keep-Britain.html

Was anyone serious when they suggested he might be moved to the Foreign Office? George is many things but I am not sure that diplomatic is one of them.

Boast about the fixed roof when the sun is shining ?

He certainly isn't getting the plaudits he deserves - well apart from Obama's compliments. About time he blew his own trumpet.
  • Options
    FinancierFinancier Posts: 3,916
    OFCOM based their thinking on the wrong information, but what else can you expect from the Civil Service who just lives in a bubble.

Surely, the debates should be open to any party who has candidates in at least 90% of the UK seats. As has been said previously, if a candidate and their party are not on the ballot sheet in front of you on polling day, then you are not legally able to vote for them.
This discussion has been closed.