Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Boris might be a CON election winner but it could just be t

SystemSystem Posts: 11,706
edited January 2015 in General

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Boris might be a CON election winner but it could just be that he gets over-stated in the polls

Hills have cut their odds for Boris Johnson to be the next Prime Minister from 8/1 to 6/1 second favourite behind 4/5 favourite Ed Miliband. This seems weird because just about the only chance there is of a vacancy occurring is if Cameron wins the election when, surely, he’ll remain at Number 10.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    MontyMonty Posts: 346
    Good, can't stand Boris. Don't trust anything he says or does.
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,763
    edited January 2015
    Boris ? PM ? no thanks.
  • Options
    audreyanneaudreyanne Posts: 1,376
    Monty said:

Good, can't stand Boris. Don't trust anything he says or does.

There are sufficient and significant enough people inside and outwith the Conservative party who share that view to guarantee it will never happen.

Thankfully.
  • Options
    JohnLilburneJohnLilburne Posts: 6,017
    edited January 2015
    It doesn't seem weird at all. Assuming the election is about 50:50 then there is about a 50% chance Miliband will be next PM. If the Tories win (including forming a minority administration) then the next PM will be whoever succeeds Dave as leader of the Tory party. I suppose it is effectively making Boris about 3:1 or 4:1 to be next Tory leader, which is maybe a bit short. There are of course other possibilities, such as Cameron serving another whole term or there being some weird coalition deal where the PM is neither of the two party leaders, but they are long shots.
  • Options
    Boris Johnson is the biggest and longest-running non-story that I can think of in the 35 years I have been following UK politics. The idea that he will ever get anywhere near the Tory Party leadership, let alone the Premiership, is just pure London-media hype, and the reality is he probably wouldn't even win the next London Mayor election if he were to stand again. Quite amazing how the media keep this totally unrealistic story alive.
  • Options
    maaarshmaaarsh Posts: 3,391
    He won't be running against Labour postal votes in a Tory leadership election.
  • Options
    Porlock said:

Boris Johnson is the biggest and longest-running non-story that I can think of in the 35 years I have been following UK politics. The idea that he will ever get anywhere near the Tory Party leadership, let alone the Premiership, is just pure London-media hype, and the reality is he probably wouldn't even win the next London Mayor election if he were to stand again. Quite amazing how the media keep this totally unrealistic story alive.

Labour were rubbing their hands with glee when Boris first got the mayoral nomination. The idea that he could lay a glove on Colossus Ken, let alone defeat him, was deemed preposterous. Underestimate Boris at your peril is the lesson.
  • Options

Finally as a Christian […] As a Catholic

Only a true Catholic would be posting on a political forum rather than going to church on a Sunday morning.
    What a nasty unpleasant, bigoted little comment. One that reveals rather more about you and the party you support than you intended. Don't agree with my posts so rather than challenge the content you insinuate that I'm a hyprocite.

And, as it happens no I didn't go to Mass last night. I'm going this evening.

• Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,369
    I don't think many serious Tory insiders want to see Boris as leader - cf. Audrey upthread. But it's easy to see him sweeping a membership vote.

JohnLilburne's scenario does make sense of the odds as Hill doesn't limit it to 2015. There's a stray reference to "31 Jan 23.59" at the start of the relevant box - no idea what that means.
  • Options
    IndigoIndigo Posts: 9,966
    Just to muddy the waters in the Greek election a bit more, George Papandreou launched his new party on Saturday

http://www.ekathimerini.com/4dcgi/_w_articles_wsite1_1_03/01/2015_545924
  • Options
    edited January 2015
    OMFG

Tim Montgomerie ن ‏@montie 5h5 hours ago
    Silly for Cameron to say Cabinet ministers won't be able to campaign for Out. There'll be resignations... #MarrShow

Just when I think there isn't anything more the Tories can do that I despair of, Cameron says now, before the renegotiation that his ministers won't be allowed to campaign for Out. Sorry but the guy is just as big an idiot as Ed Miliband.
  • Options
    "Labour were rubbing their hands with glee when Boris first got the mayoral nomination. The idea that he could lay a glove on Colossus Ken, let alone defeat him, was deemed preposterous. Underestimate Boris at your peril is the lesson."

That was when he was still relatively fresh, but the self-deprecating oaf routine is now wearing extremely thin and would never have washed outside London and the SE in the first place. Plus, he has no power base inside the Party, his constituency is in the media, and last time I checked they do not have a vote in the next Tory Party leadership election.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,013
    Mr. Indigo, that decision by Cameron on campaigning for Out is as baffling as it is stupid.
  • Options
    Indigo said:

OMFG

Silly for Cameron to say Cabinet ministers won't be able to campaign for Out. There'll be resignations... #MarrShow

Just when I think there isn't anything more the Tories can do that I despair of, Cameron says now, before the renegotiation that his ministers won't be allowed to campaign for Out. Sorry but the guy is just as big an idiot as Ed Miliband.

Incredible, expect more defections.

Amazing to think that the PB Tories slate us Kippers for not voting Tory as apparently they are the only hope of a referendum, then this. Anyone surprised we don't trust him and his cast iron, no ifs no buts bollocks?
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,896
    Afternoon all :)

There's also the small matter that Boris Johnson will remain Mayor of London until 2016. It's one thing doing the Mayoral job and being a backbench MP (Ken did it as well) but quite another to hold a Cabinet post let alone be LOTO.

He made it crystal clear in 2012 that he would serve a full term as London Mayor - indeed, it was one of his strongest final messages and one which, I think, saved the election for him as there was a strong groundswell of opposition to what was perceived to be a "part time Mayor".

Beyond that there's Boris's own policy positions which seem to be whatever the audience he's speaking to wants to hear. The problem he has as Mayor is that attitudes to the EU and to immigration within London (and especially within the City) aren't perhaps reflective of the general mood - the same will bedevil the next Conservative candidate for the Mayoralty.

Indeed, if you walk along the likes of Cornhill, King William Street and London Wall, it's amazing how often you hear French, German and Italian spoken. This other facet of immigration - the import of highly-skilled finance professionals from Europe and Asia - doesn't get the attention other forms of migration get but is hugely important for the City and Docklands as financial centres.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,448
    Just the one comment today, as I'm very busy with the start of term tomorrow. From previous thread:

The idea that there was no NHS in the 1930s, is a bit of a deception. Most parts of the UK had county run health services with much the same principals, the London County Council was the worlds largest health provider. Those who could afford to had to contribute (just like we still do with dentists and prescriptions) but no one was turned away because of lack of money.

Labour IMHO made a historic mistake by nationalising. The problem was that some counties were too small/unwilling to do it properly. They should have replaced the smaller counties with merged larger counties and left the "NHS" with them with minimum service levels imposed. Then health would have been in the hands of elected officials not regional health board quangos.

The other thing they did was quasi nationalise GPs which I also think was a mistake which leaves us in many ways with the worst of both worlds. This didn't happen with dentists and everyone (who is deemed to be able to afford to) happily pays £18 for a check up. But more importantly , I have a dentist, who always treats me and I can build a relationship with, which sadly is no longer the case with GPs. I would be happy to pay £20 a visit to a GP if it meant better service and being able to choose who my doctor is like I can with my dentist.

However the idea that before the NHS the UK was like the USA is now is a canard and one that the Tories would be well advised to put to rest if they ever want serious health reform

Not quite the case, Paul. There was a very basic minimum standard of healthcare available for free from county health boards (technically local authority health boards, but it was usually on a county, sometimes county borough basis). However, this worked for only those conditions that were immediately life-threatening, or - important exception - were conditions arising out of active service, which were paid for by the Ministry of War. For routine things or longer-term conditions - e.g. to have an abscess lanced, or cancer treatment - payment was required. To take one classic example, a local authority doctor or midwife might attend a birth. But no anaesthetic would be used, and no hospital bed could be booked, unless it was paid for in advance.
    (continued)
  • Options
    (continued)
    Various insurance schemes were available, and some of the best were run by the trades unions. But these were erratic in terms of coverage, and also in terms of what they would or would not pay out for. It could, for example, be difficult to insure children on some schemes designed to get working men treated and back to work as fast and as cheaply as possible. Basic healthcare was also available via National Insurance, but that of course only helped workers, not stay at home mothers (a common phenomenon) or children.

In the 1940s the government accepted greater responsibility for national health, largely because it needed to keep hospitals running steadily and didn't want to have endless administrative hang-ups. In effect, it nationalized the medical system for the duration of the war (a bit like the railways or the coal industry). Therefore, bizarrely, at a time when there were fewer resources available, medical treatment became much easier to get.

In 1945, on the election of the Labour government, it was generally agreed, including by the Conservatives, that this needed sorting out. The obvious solution, the one favoured by just about everybody, was an extension of National Insurance to everybody within a working family so that there was a straightforward system of payment according to means, with government paying out for those people who were unable for whatever reason to work. This would have been cheap, simple and effective. It would not have required a massive reorganisation and the members of the BMA, who foresaw (rightly) that they would get a lot more work under such a scheme, were very much in favour of it.

What torpedoed this was a very unfortunate decision to make Aneurin Bevan health minister. He later admitted that he didn't care about making sick people well, he cared about making rich people poor. So he quite deliberately made healthcare free at the point of use to justify confiscatory taxes on the rich. He also tried to seize doctors' practices without compensation, and make them direct employees of the state. To manage his empire, he employed a vast network of civil servants (it is striking to reflect that less than a hundred years ago the Civil Service numbered in the hundreds only) at even vaster expense.
    (continued)
  • Options
    (continued)
    Although a threatened doctors strike choked off one of those reforms (so doctors can still buy and sell practices - Bevan described his climbdown as 'stuffing [doctors'] mouths with gold') Bevan fought for the rest past all reason. Even when Britain ran up a colossal debt to pay for this, as the income from taxation was simply inadequate, he refused to accept the means testing of certain items or the charging for non-essential items (wigs, for example) and resigned in a hissy fit, leading to chaos within the government.

So in one sense you're right - there was a bit more in the 1930s than was generally assumed (although in fairness that was also true of pre-Obama America - his policies are extensions at least at much as they are innovations). And it is also true that the NHS is a sub-optimal system. Where you and I differ is (a) in the extent of what was available and (b) that it was a 'mistake' to bring it in in this way. It was definitely deliberate, and it achieved its aim. The error is to think that that had anything to do with the health of the nation.
  • Options
    CD13CD13 Posts: 6,351
    Sean T,

The days are getting longer and sun's getting warmer even if the air's still getting colder. Chestnuts roasting on an open fire, Jack frost nipping at your nose. The promise of new beginnings, winter ale .. er ... er ...

Still that's not bad.
  • Options

Mr. Indigo, that decision by Cameron on campaigning for Out is as baffling as it is stupid.

It's called 'holding the agreed party line'. While no Cameron devotee, I can't blame the man for wanting to campaign with a (seemingly) united front bench. You can hardly expect him to follow the model of the splinter cabinets of Foot circa 1983.
  • Options
    Indigo said:

OMFG

I presume this means that IF there is a renegotiated package which Cameron feels able to recommend to the British public in a referendum, he would expect under collective responsibility for his Cabinet to support him and it.

That's fair enough and if anyone in his Cabinet can't support that, they have to go.

The 1975 experience won't be lost on Cameron - it was a big step on the eventual road to schism for Labour and Wilson's attempt at principled neutrality made no difference. It must be a concern that history will repeat itself only with the Conservatives facing a split. In addition, Cameron has invested so much personal political capital in this referendum that were his position to be rejected, his own career would be forfeit.

• Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    CD13 said:

Sean T,

The days are getting longer and sun's getting warmer even if the air's still getting colder. Chestnuts roasting on an open fire, Jack frost nipping at your nose. The promise of new beginnings, winter ale .. er ... er ...

Still that's not bad.

Bills and tax returns. Diets, sobriety and debt.

Happy New Year! Never has there been a less suitable greeting.
  • Options
    stodge said:

Indigo said:

OMFG

I presume this means that IF there is a renegotiated package which Cameron feels able to recommend to the British public in a referendum, he would expect under collective responsibility for his Cabinet to support him and it.

That's fair enough and if anyone in his Cabinet can't support that, they have to go.

The 1975 experience won't be lost on Cameron - it was a big step on the eventual road to schism for Labour and Wilson's attempt at principled neutrality made no difference. It must be a concern that history will repeat itself only with the Conservatives facing a split. In addition, Cameron has invested so much personal political capital in this referendum that were his position to be rejected, his own career would be forfeit.

Very well put. It never ceases to amaze me that, when it comes to all things EU, many on the right are prepared to chuck the principal rules of political good judgement straight out the window.

• Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,058
    edited January 2015
    Cameron's call re Cabinet Ministers does not seem unreasonable, even if it plays very poorly. All it is essentially saying is that he expects his team to accept the possibility that he might succeed with his proposed renegotiations and not campaign for out until that is done. If they campaign for out while he is still trying to negotiate, that is them saying that either he will not succeed, or they don't care if he does, which undermines him.

Granted, the point is moot in that we all know no significant package would ever be acceptable to Brussells, and even getting that far given how poor a position Cameron is in now would be very very hard, but still, Cameron's call is not unreasonable.

As ever with Cameron however, it is poor party management, a critical weakness of his. Though again in fairness, what else could he do? Those who want out will accept nothing less than Cameron declaring right now that we will leave regardless - we've seen that with UKIP and others saying a referendum is no good unless the person calling it campaigns for our - and Cameron cannot do that, so he's just trying to stall the inevitable argument until he gets his pretend negotiation package done.
  • Options
    I see Germany are trying to lay down the law again, "Every new government has to abide by the contractual obligations of the previous government", with regards Greece. Which of course is not true at all - a new government can do whatever the hell it wants, it just cannot do so without consequences, so in most cases they do not act as incautiously as they might have stated they would.
  • Options
    DecrepitJohnLDecrepitJohnL Posts: 13,300
    stodge said:

Indigo said:

OMFG

Cameron is thinking of John Major rather than Harold Wilson.
  • Options
    volcanopetevolcanopete Posts: 2,078
    The decision on the EU referendum by Ed Miliband has proven to be a masterpiece.Only an Ed Miliband government will offer the UK the stability it needs after the shocks of the indyref.An unnecessary referendum will plunge the nation into further chaos with the result the Union smashes into a million little pieces.Under a Miliband government,a Constitutional Convention can start to put right the matters unresolved by 5 wasted years of Coalition failure on the constitution and propose to end the House of Lords.Business is behind Labour and the market prefers stability to uncertainty.
    An EU referendum is not in the national interest and the Tories internal problems forever banging on about Europe with Farage holding Cameron on strings providing the policy.Only Labour can prevent this potential catastrophe to our nation.The Tories and Cameron are putting this all at risk.
  • Options
    fitalassfitalass Posts: 4,279
    edited January 2015
    Agreed.

Twitter
    Tim Montgomerie ن ‏@montie 6h6 hours ago

RealWitan ‏@RealWitan
    @montie a reform deal with #EU agreed by cabinet then ministers either support cabinet decision or resign that is usual.So your problem is?
    stodge said:

Indigo said:

OMFG

• Options
    fitalass said:

Agreed.

Twitter

RealWitan ‏@RealWitan
    @montie a reform deal with #EU agreed by cabinet then ministers either support cabinet decision or resign that is usual.So your problem is?

stodge said:

Indigo said:

OMFG

The problem is why do this now ? He just looks shifty, it's a re-run of cast iron Dave.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Cameron's call re Cabinet Ministers does not seem unreasonable, even if it plays very poorly. All it is essentially saying is that he expects his team to accept the possibility that he might succeed with his proposed renegotiations and not campaign for out until that is done. If they campaign for out while he is still trying to negotiate, that is them saying that either he will not succeed, or they don't care if he does, which undermines him.

Granted, the point is moot in that we all know no significant package would ever be acceptable to Brussells, and even getting that far given how poor a position Cameron is in now would be very very hard, but still, Cameron's call is not unreasonable.

As ever with Cameron however, it is poor party management, a critical weakness of his. Though again in fairness, what else could he do? Those who want out will accept nothing less than Cameron declaring right now that we will leave regardless - we've seen that with UKIP and others saying a referendum is no good unless the person calling it campaigns for our - and Cameron cannot do that, so he's just trying to stall the inevitable argument until he gets his pretend negotiation package done.

The problem which has bedevilled every Conservative leader since and including Margaret Thatcher expressed in your final paragraph.

How do you hold a Referendum on EU membership without said Referendum splitting the Conservative party asunder as it did Labour in the 1970s ? The Rubicon becomes the Conservative Party actively supporting withdrawal but that's NOT and never has been party policy. Cameron knows, and any historian will tell him, that IF the Party splits on Europe it will be out of office for a generation or more just as it was with Peel.

So the last twenty-five years (and it was much easier outside Government because it didn't matter) has been nuancing round this conundrum. Under pressure from within the party and the rise of UKIP, Cameron was forced to concede the Referendum as a concrete pledge (though I suspect it's the last thing he wants) and he cannot back down from that.

The logical conclusion to that becomes either a) Labour wins and the position becomes moot or b) the Referendum has to be couched in such a way as to both get a positive result and keep the Party united. Cameron might hope by sheer force of loyalty he can achieve this but it didn't work for Thatcher or Major and it seems to this non-Tory observer that there are plenty of Conservatives who, if given a forced choice between David Cameron and EU withdrawal will go for the latter.

Ironically, defeat in May might be better for preserving the unity of the Conservative Party than victory - Stodge's Third Law of Politics states "be careful what you wish for. Victory is when the problems start, not when they end".

• Options
    perdixperdix Posts: 1,806
    edited January 2015

The decision on the EU referendum by Ed Miliband has proven to be a masterpiece.Only an Ed Miliband government will offer the UK the stability it needs after the shocks of the indyref.An unnecessary referendum will plunge the nation into further chaos with the result the Union smashes into a million little pieces.Under a Miliband government,a Constitutional Convention can start to put right the matters unresolved by 5 wasted years of Coalition failure on the constitution and propose to end the House of Lords.Business is behind Labour and the market prefers stability to uncertainty.
    An EU referendum is not in the national interest and the Tories internal problems forever banging on about Europe with Farage holding Cameron on strings providing the policy.Only Labour can prevent this potential catastrophe to our nation.The Tories and Cameron are putting this all at risk.

Ed's idea of a Constitutional Convention is just a diversion to avoid the necessary decisions:
    1. A referendum on the EU will let the British people decide whether they wish to continue letting the EU make so many decisions for the nation.
    2. EV4EL will introduce fairness into the British political system where only English MPs will vote for those laws which apply only to England.

The only reason Labour backed Europe was to take advantage of the Social Chapter, obtaining regulations which would probably not have been passed by a British Parliament.
    The only reason Labour opposes EV4EL is to maintain a power base which can oppress the English people.

Socialists are all the same - principally undemocratic.

"The market prefers stability" - yes and some people would sell their freedom for a few pounds.

• Options
    fitalassfitalass Posts: 4,279
    No its not, since when did it become shifty to state your position firmly as a the Leader of a party/PM?

fitalass said:

Agreed.

Twitter

RealWitan ‏@RealWitan

stodge said:

Indigo said:

OMFG

The problem is why do this now ? He just looks shifty, it's a re-run of cast iron Dave.
  • Options
    edited January 2015
    fitalass said:

No its not, since when did it become shifty to state your position firmly as a the Leader of a party/PM?

fitalass said:

Agreed.

Twitter

RealWitan ‏@RealWitan

stodge said:

Indigo said:

OMFG

well I suppose since you're heading in to a negotiation stating you'll leave if you don't get what you want. Saying you won't contemplate your colleagues voting out is open to all manner of interpretation, especially by the people you're about to negotiate with.

This merely reinforces the impression the negotiation is so much fluff.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

(continued)
    Although a threatened doctors strike choked off one of those reforms (so doctors can still buy and sell practices - Bevan described his climbdown as 'stuffing [doctors'] mouths with gold') Bevan fought for the rest past all reason. Even when Britain ran up a colossal debt to pay for this, as the income from taxation was simply inadequate, he refused to accept the means testing of certain items or the charging for non-essential items (wigs, for example) and resigned in a hissy fit, leading to chaos within the government.

So in one sense you're right - there was a bit more in the 1930s than was generally assumed (although in fairness that was also true of pre-Obama America - his policies are extensions at least at much as they are innovations). And it is also true that the NHS is a sub-optimal system. Where you and I differ is (a) in the extent of what was available and (b) that it was a 'mistake' to bring it in in this way. It was definitely deliberate, and it achieved its aim. The error is to think that that had anything to do with the health of the nation.

A fascinating and most interesting set of posts. Many thanks. At times I wonder why I read and post here. This is why
  • Options
    kle4 said:

I see Germany are trying to lay down the law again, "Every new government has to abide by the contractual obligations of the previous government", with regards Greece. Which of course is not true at all - a new government can do whatever the hell it wants, it just cannot do so without consequences, so in most cases they do not act as incautiously as they might have stated they would.

Rule 1. No parliament can bind a future parliament.

Frankly this is the most sinister comment made by Germany in peacetime since 'itler started banging on about the Sudetenland.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

(continued)

A good summary. The NHS did not appear out of thin air via Nye Bevans wand. It was based on a pre existing system of county hospitals financed by local rates and panel doctors financed by National Insurance. Most of all it was based on the 1938 Emergency Medical Services effective nationalisation of hospitals in anticipation of expected bombing casualties.

The roots of the NHS are Conservative and Liberal as much as Labour; though the final version was in a centralised nationalised system as in vogue with the left in the 40's.

The 1930s were bad times for some areas, notably mining and shipbuilding, but boom times for other areas, including much of the Midlands and South.
  • Options
    Re the comments about Cameron trying to avoid a split in the Tory party over EU and referendum. Hasn't that split already started to happen?

• Options
    David_EvershedDavid_Evershed Posts: 6,506
    edited January 2015
    ydoethur said:

(continued)
    Various insurance schemes were available, and some of the best were run by the trades unions. But these were erratic in terms of coverage, and also in terms of what they would or would not pay out for. It could, for example, be difficult to insure children on some schemes designed to get working men treated and back to work as fast and as cheaply as possible. Basic healthcare was also available via National Insurance, but that of course only helped workers, not stay at home mothers (a common phenomenon) or children.

In the 1940s the government accepted greater responsibility for national health, largely because it needed to keep hospitals running steadily and didn't want to have endless administrative hang-ups. In effect, it nationalized the medical system for the duration of the war (a bit like the railways or the coal industry). Therefore, bizarrely, at a time when there were fewer resources available, medical treatment became much easier to get.

In 1945, on the election of the Labour government, it was generally agreed, including by the Conservatives, that this needed sorting out. The obvious solution, the one favoured by just about everybody, was an extension of National Insurance to everybody within a working family so that there was a straightforward system of payment according to means, with government paying out for those people who were unable for whatever reason to work. This would have been cheap, simple and effective. It would not have required a massive reorganisation and the members of the BMA, who foresaw (rightly) that they would get a lot more work under such a scheme, were very much in favour of it.

What torpedoed this was a very unfortunate decision to make Aneurin Bevan health minister. He later admitted that he didn't care about making sick people well, he cared about making rich people poor. So he quite deliberately made healthcare free at the point of use to justify confiscatory taxes on the rich. He also tried to seize doctors' practices without compensation, and make them direct employees of the state. To manage his empire, he employed a vast network of civil servants (it is striking to reflect that less than a hundred years ago the Civil Service numbered in the hundreds only) at even vaster expense.
    (continued)

As ydoethur points out, Aneurin Bevan wanted to nationalise GPs but was unable to implement this. Consequently most GPs remain private businesses, albeit paid by the government pro rata on the number of patients and other factors.

So any party that objects to the "privatisation" of the NHS, presumably wants to nationalise GPs like Aneurin Bevan did. This could also be extended to the pharmaceutical companies who provide the drugs and any NHS supplier.
  • Options

Only a true Catholic would be posting on a political forum rather than going to church on a Sunday morning.
    What a nasty unpleasant, bigoted little comment. One that reveals rather more about you and the party you support than you intended. Don't agree with my posts so rather than challenge the content you insinuate that I'm a hyprocite.

Don't drag your faith onto the forum and use it as a tool (apt word) for your pro UKIP views if you don't want it scrutinised, buddy.
    Porlock said:

Quite.
  • Options
    SocratesSocrates Posts: 10,322

The decision on the EU referendum by Ed Miliband has proven to be a masterpiece.Only an Ed Miliband government will offer the UK the stability it needs after the shocks of the indyref....

Miliband doesn't want an EU referendum because he has inherited his father's contempt for the English people and doesn't want them to have decision-making power. He believes referenda are only for the Scots and the Welsh. It's the same reason he doesn't want an English parliament, doesn't want England in his Senate of the Nations, wants Scots and Welsh MPs deciding on English-only matters, and wants to continue to replace English culture with foreign culture via mass immigration. In his view, the English are to be subjugated by any means necessary.
  • Options
    I may have to revise my opinion of Mr Brand.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

This is a rubbish time of year, isn't it? Cold bleak pointless early January.

Why can't humans hibernate? Or at least humans north of Toulouse?

Quite agree Sean. It's hideous. Even that part of France can be bloody cold with the Tramontane whipping across incessantly. The Canaries or further afield is much better.

Few have been the General Elections in this country held mid-winter, for good reasons. It's not just getting people out to vote, it's that 'feel good' matters. Mid to late spring should, all things being equal, favour the governing party. That didn't stop the tidal wave in 1997 but then nothing would have done.
  • Options
    By the way Paul M-B, you do do realise it was sarcasm, don't you? Have a good Mass.
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,291
    Balls would deal with the foul mouthed Brand quite easily. Brand better stay away from charity matches.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2764092/Bruiser-Balls-leaves-journalist-bruised-bloodied-charity-friendly-football-clash.html
  • Options

By the way Paul M-B, you do do realise it was sarcasm, don't you? Have a good Mass.

certainly didn't come across that way. Are you in the DUP ?
  • Options
    I just wanted to add my condemnation to posters criticising others' religious practices. As long as it doesn't impinge on others, people should be free to worship their God or gods in their own way.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

(continued)

(continued)

As ydoethur points out, Aneurin Bevan wanted to nationalise GPs but was unable to implement this. Consequently most GPs remain private businesses, albeit paid by the government pro rata on the number of patients and other factors.

So any party that objects to the "privatisation" of the NHS, presumably wants to nationalise GPs like Aneurin Bevan did. This could also be extended to the pharmaceutical companies who provide the drugs and any NHS supplier.
    Increasingly the trend is for GPs to work out of PCT/NHS owned premesies, often as salaried staff, so in many ways This is a stealth nationalisation of General Practice.

It is specious to compare the wholesale sell off of hospitals and services that is underway in some areas (and commenced by New Labour) with the limited subcontractor nature of NHS GPs, dentistry optical services etc. They are not the same.
  • Options
    GeoffMGeoffM Posts: 6,071
    ydoethur said:

(continued).

An excellent series of posts and very informative. My grateful thanks.

• Options
    Porlock said:

I disagree about it being the biggest non-story. I don't think he has much of a chance of being Tory leader or PM either, but people wrote Boris off for Mayor, they assumed he was just a joke, and yet he managed to be reelected even, and even though the principle movers of the leadership rumours will be the london media hype as you say, that for several years now it has been a possibility credible enough to be raised by serious minded people without provoking immediate laughter, is something few from when Boris first developed any prominence would have believed.

Tory leader and PM is likely a step too far, not least because after a considerable time in the spotlight his star is probably dimming, not to mention all the internal party factors acting against him, but that it is credible enough to warrant polling and the like on the question, shows it is not a non-story; it's just not likely.

• Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,171
    A 4 year ban on migrants' benefits and rail renationalisation the most popular policies the public want to see introduced in a new ST/yougov
    http://www.thesundaytimes.co.uk/sto/news/Politics/article1503123.ece
  • Options
    Ishmael_XIshmael_X Posts: 3,664

Don't drag your faith onto the forum and use it as a tool (apt word) for your pro UKIP views if you don't want it scrutinised, buddy.
    Porlock said:

Quite.
    "buddy"? I truly despair.

And it's bad form to agree with your own sockpuppet.

• Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,992

Porlock said:

Quite.
    You do tend to be pretty snide towards posters you disagree with, so Paul was absolutely right to call you out over your remark.

• Options
    Stark_DawningStark_Dawning Posts: 9,324
    edited January 2015
    Socrates said:
    I hardly think UKIP supporters should be lecturing anyone else about the concept of collective cabinet responsibility. Poor old Reckless was slapped down and humiliated even when he stated official UKIP policy:

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/ukip-mp-mark-reckless-left-feeling-sore-after-nigel-farage-changed-immigration-policy-9877429.html
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453

Er, because he was asked the direct question on live television.

He gave a straight and unambiguous answer.

What "less shifty" answer would you have preferred?

"Cabinet responsibility will be suspended because that's a better way of running the country"

FFS
  • Options
    Ishmael_X said:

Porlock said:

Quite.

Surely the whole purpose of Sockpuppets is that they agree with you?

Though no fan of political Christianity, I though AudreyAnne was out of order.
  • Options

Socrates said:
    I hardly think UKIP supporters should be lecturing anyone else about the concept of collective cabinet responsibility. Poor old Reckless was slapped down and humiliated even when he stated official UKIP policy:

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/ukip-mp-mark-reckless-left-feeling-sore-after-nigel-farage-changed-immigration-policy-9877429.html
    Classic whataboutism. You can't defend it so you have to shout "look over here instead!"
  • Options
    edited January 2015
    Scott_P said:

"Cabinet responsibility will be suspended because that's a better way of running the country"

FFS
    then it gets better, not only can he not handle a tricky question but he fails to learn the lessons from 2009 whilst undermining his own negotiating position.

I can't figure out if Cameron is actually stupid or just thinks everyone else is.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

Porlock said:

Quite.
    You do tend to be pretty snide towards posters you disagree with, so Paul was absolutely right to call you out over your remark.

audrey seems to be particularly sensitive over religious matters. She got very upset when I mentioned the factually accurate point that Mohammed had sex with children.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 41,007
    Ishmael_X said:

Porlock said:

Quite.

It'll be 'college' next
  • Options
    Socrates said:

Socrates said:

Classic whataboutism. You can't defend it so you have to shout "look over here instead!"
    I've defended Dave's position down thread, old chap. (Though other posters made a better job of it than me.)
  • Options
    TheWatcherTheWatcher Posts: 5,262
    dr_spyn said:

Balls would deal with the foul mouthed Brand quite easily. Brand better stay away from charity matches.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2764092/Bruiser-Balls-leaves-journalist-bruised-bloodied-charity-friendly-football-clash.html

Much as I loathe Brand, I reckon he'd come out on top in a skirmish with Balls.
  • Options
    edited January 2015
    Socrates said:

I just wanted to add my condemnation to posters criticising others' religious practices. As long as it doesn't impinge on others, people should be free to worship their God or gods in their own way.

I agree with you there wholeheartedly. But if you use your faith as a reason for voting a certain way, and state that in public, then you should expect it to be scrutinised. On a practical level no religion has 100% political identity, or if a particular adherents does claim that then it is always a recipe for trouble.* I dislike it in every form, whether that's Tony Blair's version of Christianity or the right-wing Republicans or a host of other religions.

This isn't to say religion is entirely private, nor that it should keep out of politics entirely. What it should never be is party political .

* You will not, I suspect, incidentally find much wholehearted support for UKIP amongst UK Catholic church goers.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

FFS
    Cabinet responsibility refers to supporting government bills put up to parliament, not to a popular referendum.

This is just Cameron showing his true Europhile credentials. He's going to force all government ministers to back his claim we've got a major repatriation even if all we get is a nice press release.

Just last week Tories on here were arguing that Cameron's renegotiation was credible because people like Gove and Hammond would call him out if he didn't achieve much. Look how long that argument lasted!
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,991
    Socrates said:

Socrates said:

Some might call that classic reversewhataboutism! ;)
  • Options
    Socrates said:

Socrates said:

It's easy to defend as a principle, it's just a difficult and awkward matter for Cameron's own party discipline. Telling people in your own Cabinet they cannot undermine you publicly until you've at least had the chance to fail is hardly extraordinary or unfair. Open to door to that sort of thing and there'd be no way to have a Cabinet at all, everyone would find the issue or issues they would feel obligated not to abide by the party line.

I am sure they all know this and won't really mind. They know Cameron will not win back anything substantive, that's impossible given the EU's inflexibility, so whatever Cameron ends up campaigning on (should he ever get the chance), they can say they gave the EU a last shot and even hoped Cameron would succeed, but he didn't. If they complain now, perhaps leaking their unhappiness or something, it's just whinging.
  • Options

Socrates said:

I agree with you there wholeheartedly. But if you use your faith as a reason for voting a certain way, and state that in public, then you should expect it to be scrutinised. On a practical level no religion has 100% political identity, or if adherents do claim that it is always a recipe for trouble.* I dislike it in every form, whether that's Tony Blair's version of Christianity or the right-wing Republicans or a host of other religions.

This isn't to say religion is entirely private, nor that it should keep out of politics entirely. What it should never be is party political .

* You will not, I suspect, incidentally find much wholehearted support for UKIP amongst UK Catholic church goers.
    So if someone says "I oppose abortion because of my Catholicism", other people get to call them out for, say, using condoms?
  • Options
    JohnOJohnO Posts: 4,215
    edited January 2015
    Socrates said:

Scott_P said:

FFS
    Cabinet responsibility refers to supporting government bills put up to parliament, not to a popular referendum.

This is just Cameron showing his true Europhile credentials. He's going to force all government ministers to back his claim we've got a major repatriation even if all we get is a nice press release.

Just last week Tories on here were arguing that Cameron's renegotiation was credible because people like Gove and Hammond would call him out if he didn't achieve much. Look how long that argument lasted!
    Well, if Gove and Hammond feel that strongly that the deal is inadequate, then they can resign from the Government, which in itself would represent a huge boost to the NO campaign. So what are you moaning about?

Closer to the date, I imagine Cameron will suspend collective responsiblity, but Harold Wilson did not fight the 1974 campaigns on that basis and Cameron is probably holding that card in reserve.
  • Options
    JohnO said:

Socrates said:

Scott_P said:

FFS

Well, if Gove and Hammond feel that strongly that the deal is inadequate, then they can resign from the Government, which in itself, would represent a huge boost to the NO campaign. So what are you moaning about?

Closer to the date, I imagine Cameron will suspend collective responsiblity, but Harold Wilson did not fight the 1974 campaigns on that basis and Cameron is probably holding that card in reserve.
    such touching faith.
  • Options
    @kle4

Yes, Cameron has stitched up his front benchers good and proper. We all know Cameron is going to recommend staying in whatever he gets from Brussels, so cabinet ministers are going to be expected to go out and claim something's a great deal entirely on the whims of Angela Merkel. They will have to sacrifice either their jobs or their credibility because Cameron's strategic ineptness has backed himself into a corner. Knowing that he's going over a cliff, he's now intent on taking all other senior conservatives with him.

And if this is the way his closest colleagues are going to be treated, you can be damn sure that any junior MP will have their careers threatened if they dare argue for leaving.

He's made it very clear that if you support leaving the EU, the Tory party is not the one for you.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

(continued)

(continued)

Increasingly the trend is for GPs to work out of PCT/NHS owned premesies, often as salaried staff, so in many ways This is a stealth nationalisation of General Practice.

It is specious to compare the wholesale sell off of hospitals and services that is underway in some areas (and commenced by New Labour) with the limited subcontractor nature of NHS GPs, dentistry optical services etc. They are not the same.
    Doctors and patients will be surprised to hear that GP's are subcontractors of the NHS rather than integral to it.

For most people, as the entry to free health treatment, GPs are the NHS.

GP practices do employ salaried doctors of course but they don't participate in the risks or profits of the doctors in the business partnership.
  • Options

JohnO said:

Socrates said:

Scott_P said:

FFS

Well, if Gove and Hammond feel that strongly that the deal is inadequate, then they can resign from the Government, which in itself, would represent a huge boost to the NO campaign. So what are you moaning about?

such touching faith.
    O ye of none
  • Options
    RobD said:

Socrates said:

Socrates said:

Camerg-Ukip.html

ly t
    d!"
    Some might call that classic reversewhataboutism! ;)
    Nice.
    Socrates said:

Scott_P said:

Then Dave.

ed the dS

!
    A rather unrealistic view I must say. For the first, that's one interpretation (not shared by the Mail given their talk in the piece about Cameron being asked to 'suspend' the convention), but permitting Cabinet members, in advance of the thing that will inform the official party stance on the referendum, to publicly show they think Cameron will fail or is lying, seems to stretch what they are permitted a bit too far. That undermines him for 2 years,

For two, in what world do you think we live in where Cameron will be able to force all government ministers to back his claim we've got a major repatriation. In what world has Cameron got enough control of enough of the senior members of his party to, in some theoretical world where he is in government again, to fill a Cabinet if he excludes all those who want to campaign for out, for all time. No, they will be resigning eventually rather than keep their posts, and Cameron has helpfully outlined when that when they can best do that - once they've given him a chance and seen what repatriation he can offer.

Cameron is a weak leader of the Tory party, and what he needs is time, time to win more of his party over and win the public over. If he is in power and undertakes a negotiation on repatriation, undoubtedly he will claim he has gotten something substantive, but I would bet significant sums he knows perfectly well plenty in his party will never agree that that is the case. He will be unable to prevent them at that time from campaigning for out and if at that point they must leave his government, then that works out well for identifying the wings of the party clearly. And why would anyone mind that? It will clearly show for everyone who is on what side for the following Tory civil war. Cameron forcing their resignations at that point makes the following fight simpler.

If he can however ensure they shut up about campaigning for out until it cannot be avoided, he can keep everyone in the government for 2 years until his negotiation fails.

It's not a perfect scenario, but it delays the inevitable conflict within the party from being more open for a couple of years at least.
  • Options
    JohnO said:

JohnO said:

Socrates said:

Scott_P said:

FFS

such touching faith.
    O ye of none
    some of us practice the old time faith and ignore all this happy clappy crappy ;-)

• Options
    Scott_P said:

FFS
    I've defended the Prime Minister down thread so I won't repeat myself.

The question then becomes which scenario will we have:

a) "I have in my hand a printed email, signed by Frau Merkel, that endorses the renegotiated treaty of membership in the European Union. I commend the Treaty to the House and to the Country"

b)"Despite my best efforts, I have failed to persuade the other members of the European Union of the need to address the concerns of the British people over our continuing membership. I am therefore forced to conclude that Britain's interests can only be served by withdrawal from the European Union and I commend this to the House and to the Country."

I suspect there are circumstances under which the majority of Conservatives could support either a) or b) but there will be those who couldn't support either.

• Options

JohnO said:

JohnO said:

Socrates said:

Scott_P said:

FFS

such touching faith.
    O ye of none
    some of us practice the old time faith and ignore all this happy clappy crappy ;-)

Ah, the save Ulster from Sodomy variety. Bet that goes down a treat in leafy Warwickshire.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

(continued)

(continued)

Doctors and patients will be surprised to hear that GP's are subcontractors of the NHS rather than integral to it.

For most people, as the entry to free health treatment, GPs are the NHS.

GP practices do employ salaried doctors of course but they don't participate in the risks or profits of the doctors in the business partnership.
    And they're not NHS employees neither. I rather think Dr Fox was talking about some other arrangement. GPs are independent businesses contracted to work for the NHS and as far as I know able to run other businesses such as private family doctor services or occupational health for businesses.

• Options
    GeoffMGeoffM Posts: 6,071

Surely the whole purpose of Sockpuppets is that they agree with you?

Not necessarily!

I am on the moderation teams of three forums elsewhere, one with more traffic than PB and two with much less. All three have issues with users opening multiple accounts which we try to keep on top of using the software available.

The more amusing multi's are sometimes left open for a while, though, because the more creative ones often argue quite aggressively with themselves. It's very funny watching it happen when you are in on the joke, especially when the insults get personal! It gets even better when someone interrupts and White Knights for one side.

• Options
    edited January 2015
    kle4 said:

Socrates said:

Socrates said:

It's easy to defend as a principle, it's just a difficult and awkward matter for Cameron's own party discipline. Telling people in your own Cabinet they cannot undermine you publicly until you've at least had the chance to fail is hardly extraordinary or unfair. Open to door to that sort of thing and there'd be no way to have a Cabinet at all, everyone would find the issue or issues they would feel obligated not to abide by the party line.

I am sure they all know this and won't really mind. They know Cameron will not win back anything substantive, that's impossible given the EU's inflexibility, so whatever Cameron ends up campaigning on (should he ever get the chance), they can say they gave the EU a last shot and even hoped Cameron would succeed, but he didn't. If they complain now, perhaps leaking their unhappiness or something, it's just whinging.
    But if the PM says he won't have cabinet ministers campaigning for OUT, that means by implication regardless of what he does or doesn't get from Brussels. So if he comes back from the renegotiations with a couple of bits of meaningless tinsel, he is not going to vote for out, and he isn't going to let his ministers campaign for out. Even worse he is now telling Brussels in effect there is no circumstance under which he would countenance himself or his cabinet ministers voting for OUT, so where is the leverage to get any kind of settlement - there isn't any, it's a sham.
  • Options
    Socrates said:

@kle4

Yes, Cameron has stitched up his front benchers good and proper. We all know Cameron is going to recommend staying in whatever he gets from Brussels, so cabinet ministers are going to be expected to go out and claim something's a great deal entirely on the whims of Angela Merkel. They will have to sacrifice either their jobs or their credibility because Cameron's strategic ineptness has backed himself into a corner. Knowing that he's going over a cliff, he's now intent on taking all other senior conservatives with him.

And if this is the way his closest colleagues are going to be treated, you can be damn sure that any junior MP will have their careers threatened if they dare argue for leaving.

He's made it very clear that if you support leaving the EU, the Tory party is not the one for you.

Out of interest, do you believe that Cameron will actually deliver a referendum (regardless of what he personally recommends)? I ask because the overwhelming Kipper position is that a referendum will never occur because Dave fully intends to renege at the last minute. You seem semi-detached from the UKIP mainstream in this regard.
  • Options
    edited January 2015
    Socrates said:

@kle4

Right, so what's the problem? Cameron is leader, if they want someone to take them in a different direction they can force that by getting rid of him. If they don't, then it's up to him to choose his own damn Cabinet and if they don't like where he is taking them they can leave. If they think that is terrible for the party, then they should force him out when they resign - and in practice Cameron is signing his own death warrant should he fail in any case. Anyone who leaves the Cabinet now would presumably be put back in if Cameron was defeated and forced to resign, with the anti-EU wing in firm control, so it's not like their careers would suffer much.

I get they won't like being put in the situation, but I don't see how it's unfair on them. Cameron is telling them to put up or shut up, and eventually they will make their choice be it now or in 2 years. They're are grown ups, they can decide which is more important to them, that is their right, and we will find out all we know about them depending on what they choose,

Anyone who stays in the Cabinet and campaigns for in after Cameron claims he has succeeded, cannot with any credibility claim they were forced. As you say, they will have been asked to sacrifice their jobs or their credibility. If they stay with Cameron purely to keep a Cabinet job despite wanting to campaign for out, then we are all the better for it, as we will be spared their lack of credibility when he falls.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

SeanT said:

This is a rubbish time of year, isn't it? Cold bleak pointless early January.

Why can't humans hibernate? Or at least humans north of Toulouse?

Quite agree Sean. It's hideous. Even that part of France can be bloody cold with the Tramontane whipping across incessantly. The Canaries or further afield is much better.

Few have been the General Elections in this country held mid-winter, for good reasons. It's not just getting people out to vote, it's that 'feel good' matters. Mid to late spring should, all things being equal, favour the governing party. That didn't stop the tidal wave in 1997 but then nothing would have done.
    In the interests of transparency, I should point out (confess?) that I fly to Bangkok, for a three week writing stint, on Wednesday.

Thank the Lord.
    Thailand has been getting some bad publicity recently:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/travel/travel_news/article-2833369/Thailand-one-dangerous-tourist-destinations-Earth-Ex-pat-investigation-lifts-lid-dark-Land-Smiles.html

But I suspect that some bits are OK still.
  • Options
    DecrepitJohnLDecrepitJohnL Posts: 13,300
    edited January 2015
    kle4 said:

Socrates said:

@kle4

Right, so what's the problem? Cameron is leader, if they want someone to take them in a different direction they can force that by getting rid of him. If they don't, then it's up to him to choose his own damn Cabinet and if they don't like where he is taking them they can leave. If they think that is terrible for the party, then they should force him out when they resign - and in practice Cameron is signing his own death warrant should he fail in any case. Anyone who leaves the Cabinet now would presumably be put back in if Cameron was defeated and forced to resign, with the anti-EU wing in firm control, so it's not like their careers would suffer much.

I get they won't like being put in the situation, but I don't see how it's unfair on them. Cameron is telling them to put up or shut up, and eventually they will make their choice be it now or in 2 years.

Anyone who stays in the Cabinet and campaigns for in after Cameron claims he has succeeded, cannot with any credibility claim they were forced. As you say, they will have been asked to sacrifice their jobs or their credibility. If they stay with Cameron purely to keep a Cabinet job despite wanting to campaign for out, then we are all the better for it, as we will be spared their lack of credibility when he falls.
    It's bloody stupid though if ministers remain in post during renegotiation and are then forced to resign en masse when the referendum is called. It is hard to see how the PM could survive even to lead the referendum campaign. And if Cameron plans to demonstrate his strength by sacking them before they resign, well, Harold McMillan's night of the long knives did not work out very well for him.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Porlock said:

I disagree about it being the biggest non-story. I don't think he has much of a chance of being Tory leader or PM either, but people wrote Boris off for Mayor, they assumed he was just a joke, and yet he managed to be reelected even, and even though the principle movers of the leadership rumours will be the london media hype as you say, that for several years now it has been a possibility credible enough to be raised by serious minded people without provoking immediate laughter, is something few from when Boris first developed any prominence would have believed.

Tory leader and PM is likely a step too far, not least because after a considerable time in the spotlight his star is probably dimming, not to mention all the internal party factors acting against him, but that it is credible enough to warrant polling and the like on the question, shows it is not a non-story; it's just not likely.

Just because pollsters like sounding out the public on their views of Boris Johnson does not make the idea of his becoming Tory Party leader/PM any more credible -- rather it underlines my original point, namely that the London media are always very excited about him (he's one of them, after all) so commission polls on him on a frequent basis, thus keeping the story (or non-story) alive, whilst everybody else outside the gilded circle (and probably most Tory MPs inside it) look on in bewilderment.
  • Options
    JohnO said:

JohnO said:

JohnO said:

Socrates said:

Scott_P said:

FFS

such touching faith.
    O ye of none

Ah, the save Ulster from Sodomy variety. Bet that goes down a treat in leafy Warwickshire.
    Nah the old style small government keep your own money variety.

Anyways you need to be careful what you say you'll be sucking up to Mr Robinson soon enough.

• Options
    Indigo said:

kle4 said:

Socrates said:

Socrates said:

Iging.
    But if the PM says he won't have cabinet ministers campaigning for OUT, that means by implication regardless of what he does or doesn't get from Brussels. So if he comes back from the renegotiations with a couple of bits of meaningless tinsel, he is not going to vote for out, and he isn't going to let his ministers campaign for out. Even worse he is now telling Brussels in effect there is no circumstance under which he would countenance himself or his cabinet ministers voting for OUT, so where is the leverage to get any kind of settlement - there isn't any, it's a sham.
    I agree the negotiation is a sham. Brussels was and is never going to give us anything substantive. It's merely a question of how much window dressing can be obtained and thus how easy a job it will be for Cameron to claim we have received something substantive.

His colleagues are no fools, I am sure they know this too. They can choose to say so now and lose out on a cushy Cabinet job for a couple of years, or they can wait for Cameron to claim he has succeeded and use that moment for their dramatic resignations en masse while enjoying a cushy Cabinet job in the meantime.

One gives Cameron a very immediate problem, one at least has the opportunity to delay that problem until after the Conservatives have won re-election, while in reality only restricting those without any integrity from acting as they wish to do come the main event of the referendum.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

The plainly idiotic bit isn't the party management, although that pretty piss poor, its telling your opponent (The EU) what you have in your hand before you start playing cards. Saying there is no circumstance under which he or his cabinet would campaign for out is just going to get him told to piss off when he tries to start his renegotiation, and then he will have dream up some bit of meaningless tinsel to try and sell to the British public.
    stodge said:

a) "I have in my hand a printed email, signed by Frau Merkel, that endorses the renegotiated treaty of membership in the European Union. I commend the Treaty to the House and to the Country"

b)"Despite my best efforts, I have failed to persuade the other members of the European Union of the need to address the concerns of the British people over our continuing membership. I am therefore forced to conclude that Britain's interests can only be served by withdrawal from the European Union and I commend this to the House and to the Country."

I suspect there are circumstances under which the majority of Conservatives could support either a) or b) but there will be those who couldn't support either.

They are both equally worthless. The deal has to pass ratification in all member states to have any power, and that isn't in Merkel's gift, some of those member states will require referenda as part of their ratification procedures, so its not even in the gift of their elected officials. Merkel could sign all the papers she wants, if the French public decide they dont want us to have it, its dead in the water.

• Options
    Indigo said:

kle4 said:

The plainly idiotic bit isn't the party management, although that pretty piss poor, its telling your opponent (The EU) what you have in your hand before you start playing cards. Saying there is no circumstance under which he or his cabinet would campaign for out is just going to get him told to piss off when he tries to start his renegotiation, and then he will have dream up some bit of meaningless tinsel to try and sell to the British public.
    stodge said:

They are both equally worthless. The deal has to pass ratification in all member states to have any power, and that isn't in Merkel's gift, some of those member states will require referenda as part of their ratification procedures, so its not even in the gift of their elected officials. Merkel could sign all the papers she wants, if the French public decide they dont want us to have it, its dead in the water.

And what will the French, Poles or even the Slovenians extract in return.
    We are going to get royally screwed by all this.

• Options

Socrates said:

@kle4

Out of interest, do you believe that Cameron will actually deliver a referendum (regardless of what he personally recommends)? I ask because the overwhelming Kipper position is that a referendum will never occur because Dave fully intends to renege at the last minute. You seem semi-detached from the UKIP mainstream in this regard.
    I actually think he will try and kick it down the road. Come 2017 we will be told that negotiations are looking promising but are at a delicate stage and he needs another 18 months to iron out all the details. After 18 months they will be "almost there" but it will be too close to the next election to get distracted by an EU referendum, so it will get kicked down the road again.
  • Options
    Indigo said:

kle4 said:

stodge said:

In that case the referendum is in/out on present terms.

The prospect of two years of Tories banging heads over Europe makes Miliband and Balls seem appealing!
  • Options
    SeanT said:

Surely the POLITICAL point is that Cameron should and could have waffled, articulately, saying Well, let's see what my renegotiation brings, it's far too soon to discuss these details, we haven't even won the General Election yet, and if we don't there wont even be a referendum....

Everyone with a brain would still know he was lying but he wouldn't have snookered himself, and made himself look like a greasy europhile stoat. Again.

But instead he took option 2: the idiot option.

I think he has these moments where he intentionally chooses to be decisive and strong looking, but he is not so great at picking those moments appopriately.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,073
    Indigo said:

The plainly idiotic bit isn't the party management, although that pretty piss poor, its telling your opponent (The EU) what you have in your hand before you start playing cards.

There is no negotiation with the EU.

The EU is like a golf club. It is the decisions of the other members that matter.

Cameron would be negotiating with the other heads of state (Merkel, Holland, Renzi, Rajoy etc.) to get changes made to EU treaties.
  • Options

Indigo said:

kle4 said:

stodge said:

The prospect of two years of Tories banging heads over Europe makes Miliband and Balls seem appealing!
    You're in a no win position. The alternative is Labour\SNP and five more years of Neverendum.
  • Options

Indigo said:

kle4 said:

stodge said:

It is in practise, but that won't be how its sold. We will be told we have all this attractive opt-outs and exceptions to the rules, and its all been decided bar the shouting, and really getting it agreed is just a formality. Then the people vote IN. Then the French reject the treaty change in a referendum.

• Options
    edited January 2015
    Indigo said:

kle4 said:

The plainly idiotic bit isn't the party management, although that pretty piss poor, its telling your opponent (The EU) what you have in your hand before you start playing cards.

That's true, although since I don't believe the EU were ever in good faith prepared to play cards with us on this issue, the actual affect on what he might get is minimal at best. It's also possible that knowing Cameron will not seriously entertain the idea of leaving may make the bureaucrats and Merkel more likely to offer some bauble which has a better appearance of being significant than whatever bauble they would otherwise have offered. Perhaps not, but really the situation is just akin to choosing what wrapping paper to put over a crappy gift, so while ordinarily showing your hand is an error, it hardly matters much in this case.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Indigo said:

There is no negotiation with the EU.

The EU is like a golf club. It is the decisions of the other members that matter.

Cameron would be negotiating with the other heads of state (Merkel, Holland, Renzi, Rajoy etc.) to get changes made to EU treaties.
    Ok so now Merkel, Hollande, Renzi, Rajoy etc. know there is no circumstance under which he would vote for OUT, or permit his cabinet ministers to campaign for it.. what was his negotiating position again ?
  • Options

Indigo said:

kle4 said:

stodge said:

You're in a no win position. The alternative is Labour\SNP and five more years of Neverendum.
    The prospect of endless Constitutional plebiscites is indeed pretty depressing.

But a useful circus to distract the population from the real issues.
  • Options
    Yet the problem the Conservative Party has they need Cameron more than he needs them if I read the polling correctly. Would any other possible current Conservative leader (I exclude Boris because he's not a runner yet) be polling any better against Labour ? I strongly suspect not.

Thus, the Party either sinks or swims with the Prime Minister and they are shackled to him until either a) they lose the election or b) he walks away or c) the Party believes they have a viable alternative leader.

Cameron has therefore bet the farm on being able to carry via personal authority (enhanced by a re-election) the party through the negotiation and the referendum.

Many on here have opined it will be impossible for Cameron to achieve anything substantive from the re-negotiation so the final call is the threat of withdrawal. The EU may regard this as a bluff either because a) he won't support it or b) the British people won't support it.
This discussion has been closed.