Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Even though Baxter has SNP taking 47 of the 59 Scottish sea

2»

Comments

• Options
    richardDoddrichardDodd Posts: 5,472
    Minus 6 overnight here and now we are sitting on the front terrace in very warm sunshine drinking Ribolla Giallo.. a great local wine..great start to 2015
  • Options
    FalseFlagFalseFlag Posts: 1,801
    The Eurozone reminds me of the UK during the media driven triple dip hysteria, forward looking indicators are strong and accelerating with Europe being perhaps the biggest beneficiary of the fall in oil prices. I expect France and Italy to pickup with Germany lagging.

Interesting question is who will bailout Ukraine? Should be the Americans, will seriously annoy Europe if they leave us to pick up the tab.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,500
    HYUFD said:

Of course in the Canadian Federal election of 1993 the Quebec nationalists won 54 seats and were the official opposition to the governing centre-left Liberals
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canadian_federal_election,_1993

The Progressive Conservatives went from 156 to 2?! I knew they had been beaten by newer parties and eventually subsumed within them, but had not realised things had been so dramatic. What exciting times those must have been.
  • Options
    FalseFlag said:

The Eurozone reminds me of the UK during the media driven triple dip hysteria, forward looking indicators are strong and accelerating with Europe being perhaps the biggest beneficiary of the fall in oil prices. I expect France and Italy to pickup with Germany lagging.

Interesting question is who will bailout Ukraine? Should be the Americans, will seriously annoy Europe if they leave us to pick up the tab.

Hmmm,

A quick google to the earlier question posited to Junior resulted in this link:

http://www.ey.com/GL/en/Issues/Business-environment/Eurozone-country

To quote:
    The ECB’s AQR and the accompanying stress tests show that Austrian banks have made good progress in improving their resilience and have sufficient capital buffers. But there are risks from exposure to the Russia-Ukraine tensions. An increase in non-performing loans could have an impact on banks’ balance sheets and affect credit conditions.
    Hmmm indeed....
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    @ScottyNational: Happy New Year to both our readers! Our gift - a free printable Indy Supporter 2015 calendar! http://t.co/sJu7lAKn0x
  • Options
    hucks67hucks67 Posts: 758
    Is there a real problem with pollsters obtaining a representative sample and with the weighting systems they use ? Many older people who may be more Tory, are less likely to complete an online poll, buy they are more likely to vote. The weighting systems are based on previous experience, but we are now in a much more complicated position, with UKIP apparently being about 12% up on where they were in 2010. Also the Lib Dems are less popular than they were, with atleast a third of their 2010 votes possibly going to Labour.

My instinct is that when it comes to voting in May 2015, we will see Labour and Tories move closer to 35% of the vote, UKIP will do severe damage to the Tories in some seats and there will be tactical voting against the Tories again. Labour will lose seats in Scotland, but not as much as expected, with Labour winning 300-310 seats overall. As they will be about 40 seats ahead of the Tories, they will be enter into government, with confidence and supply agreements with Lib Dems and SNP.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,426
    Kle4 Indeed, but the Reform Party won 52 seats, still 2 less than the nationalists (although the Reform and PC totals combined equalled the BQ)
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,426
    It was also a bad election for the NDP which went from 44 to 9
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 59,074
    kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

Of course in the Canadian Federal election of 1993 the Quebec nationalists won 54 seats and were the official opposition to the governing centre-left Liberals
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canadian_federal_election,_1993

The Progressive Conservatives went from 156 to 2?! I knew they had been beaten by newer parties and eventually subsumed within them, but had not realised things had been so dramatic. What exciting times those must have been.
    It was like 97, only about ten times as worse (for a Tory).
  • Options
    EasterrossEasterross Posts: 1,915
    Afternoon all and I hope you have enjoyed the start of 2015 wherever you happen to reside.

The Baxter numbers show what a disproportionate effect a couple of polls with silly Labour leads can do to his and other predictions/projections.

I still think it will end up something like
    Tory 33-35%
    Labour 25-28%
    UKIP 15-20%
    LibDem 12-15%

David Cameron back into No 10, Nigel Farage huffing and puffing from outside Westminster as he chalks up loss number 7 and Labour poised to pick yet another bad leader from their metropolitan elite who wouldn't recognise the traditional working class if s/he fell over them on a hurried annual inspection of the rotten burgh which elects him/her and promptly gets ignored for the rest of the year.
  • Options

Labour poised to pick yet another bad leader from their metropolitan elite who wouldn't recognise the traditional working class if s/he fell over them on a hurried annual inspection of the rotten burgh which elects him/her and promptly gets ignored for the rest of the year.

They will probably get another dud, but remember, Labour didn't choose Ed. Len did.
  • Options
    TCPoliticalBettingTCPoliticalBetting Posts: 10,819
    edited January 2015
    Labour’s targeting problem
    At GE2010 Labour were fighting hard in about 150 seats and lost circa 90. Of the 150 seats fought over, only a tiny few were in Scotland. At this GE 2015, for Labour to win a majority they need to win circa 90 seats AND hold Scotland. That requires Labour to fight hard in 50 seats in Scotland and about 150 in England & Wales. Labour’s resources will then have to spread over 1/3 more seats than in GE2010. By contrast the Conservatives only need to fight hard in 150 and they will have (AFAIK) twice the campaign £ that Labour will have. But there is also the Green problem. Hence why I have been saying that Labour need to focus on holding Scotland and treat GE2015 as unwinnable because of the rise of the SNP and their current poll standing due to EdM.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

Labour poised to pick yet another bad leader from their metropolitan elite who wouldn't recognise the traditional working class if s/he fell over them on a hurried annual inspection of the rotten burgh which elects him/her and promptly gets ignored for the rest of the year.

They will probably get another dud, but remember, Labour didn't choose Ed. Len did.
    They chose to have their leadership contest held that way, and for it to be close enough from the other sections for Len and co to swing it, so they also cannot really complain if Ed does not work out that it was not their fault either.
  • Options

At GE2010 Labour were fighting hard in about 150 seats and lost circa 90. Of the 150 seats fought over, only a tiny few were in Scotland. At this GE 2015, for Labour to win a majority they need to win circa 90 seats AND hold Scotland. That requires Labour to fight hard in 50 seats in Scotland and about 150 in England & Wales. Labour’s resources will then have to spread over 1/3 more seats than in GE2010. By contrast the Conservatives only need to fight hard in 150 and they will have (AFAIK) twice the campaign £ that Labour will have. But there is also the Green problem. Hence why I have been saying that Labour need to focus on holding Scotland and treat GE2015 as unwinnable because of the rise of the SNP and their current poll standing due to EdM.

Tony Blair says if Labour fight a Left v Right campaign, they will lose.

How do they fight the Greens? swing left.

How do they fight the SNP? swing left.

Um...
  • Options
    hucks67 said:

My instinct is that when it comes to voting in May 2015, we will see Labour and Tories move closer to 35% of the vote, UKIP will do severe damage to the Tories in some seats and there will be tactical voting against the Tories again. Labour will lose seats in Scotland, but not as much as expected, with Labour winning 300-310 seats overall. As they will be about 40 seats ahead of the Tories, they will be enter into government, with confidence and supply agreements with Lib Dems and SNP.

You are forecasting the rare phenomenom of the main opposition gaining vote share in the last 4 months......
  • Options

Tory 33-35%
    Labour 25-28%
    UKIP 15-20%
    LibDem 12-15%

I agree. This meets the rule that Labour usually get a vote lower at the first fightback GE and that the main opposition party usually slips back.
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,961

Afternoon all and I hope you have enjoyed the start of 2015 wherever you happen to reside.

The Baxter numbers show what a disproportionate effect a couple of polls with silly Labour leads can do to his and other predictions/projections.

Tory 33-35%
    Labour 25-28%
    UKIP 15-20%
    LibDem 12-15%

David Cameron back into No 10, Nigel Farage huffing and puffing from outside Westminster as he chalks up loss number 7 and Labour poised to pick yet another bad leader from their metropolitan elite who wouldn't recognise the traditional working class if s/he fell over them on a hurried annual inspection of the rotten burgh which elects him/her and promptly gets ignored for the rest of the year.

lol

Easterross are you saying Cameron is down there with the workers ?
  • Options

hucks67 said:

You are forecasting the rare phenomenom of the main opposition gaining vote share in the last 4 months......
    Yes, I think 2015 will be different to what we have seen before. It is different because of having a coalition at the moment. We also have UKIP likely to score 10%+ and a Lib Dem vote that will be mostly tactical.

What is for sure, is that Labour will score a large percentage of the vote than they did in 2010. Some of the polls showing 36% are unlikely to be true, but I can see Labour scoring 33-35%.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

Former joint UNITE leader Derek Simpson was the one who won it for Ed.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,382

If the May election is totally inconclusive and the only feasible option is a Labour - Tory coalition or a minority government that has to go to the country again by October, will the Labour & Libdem parties be able to afford another election?

My suspicion is that they can't and the Tories can and this concept will form part of their post election stragegy if needs be.

Maybe the Tories will supply confidence to a Miliband minority government until it starts to obviously run into the sand and then pull the plug?

I need to be reasonably discreet about funding, but certainly we're better funded in my marginal than at any previous election that I've fought, and my seat isn't one where there is significant union help - there are just a lot of people chipping in. We'll still be outspent in Jan-Mar, but on the other hand we have kept a reserve for a second election just in case - we think that the benefits of a direct mail blitz now are not worth the risk of being broke afterwards.

Certainly TCP's suggestion that we write off the election is for the birds - I'll be genuinely surprised if we're not the largest party and have bet with Audrey against her very different prediction.

• Options
    edited January 2015
    Must be off, but my prediction for the GE

Tory 29-33
    Labour 31-35
    UKIP 10-15
    LD 10-15

I think the Tories have hit their ceiling, and if there are any debates, Ed M will not be as much of a drag as people think, as his image is so poor those who watch will be surprised he is not absurdly terrible, and the prospect of returning the Tories back to power will see more former Lab UKIP supporters vote tactically than former Con UKIP supporters (who have been there longer, hate Cameron more than former Lab Kippers hate Ed M, and probably care less about letting Lab back in as long as Cameron loses), and the only thing the Tories might be able to campaign on without controversy, the economy, will slow making it a harder sell.
  • Options
    volcanopetevolcanopete Posts: 2,078
    My analysis is that we are in a pre-revolutionary moment.Nevertheless,for betting purposes,if indyref taught me anything it is to have a good basis of evidence so that you can name 3 criteria to back up your hard-earned.Back John Curtice is one.These guys think they may have the answer which is a convoluted computer programme,taking into account a lesser role for UNS and greater application of local effects.
    There could be a lot of egg on a lot of faces.

http://blogs.lse.ac.uk/generalelection/predicting-the-polls/
  • Options
    justin124justin124 Posts: 11,527

hucks67 said:

It is,however, very normal for the Opposition to gain in relation to the Government during the formal month long period of the election campaign - ie the four weeks leading up to polling day. This happened in 1959 - 1964 - 1966 - 1970 - Feb 1974 - Oct 1974 - 1987 - 2001 - 2005 - 2010.
  • Options

Tory 33-35%
    Labour 25-28%
    UKIP 15-20%
    LibDem 12-15%

I agree. This meets the rule that Labour usually get a vote lower at the first fightback GE and that the main opposition party usually slips back.
    UKIP won't achieve 15%+, as they have and will have some negative media coverage, which will cast them as racists and old fashioned Tories.

Labour will do well in highly populated city areas around the country, as they have always done. I don't see their vote collapsing in Scotland.

I still think that Labour and Tories will both be in the 33-35% range.
  • Options
    hucks67 said:

Tory 33-35%
    Labour 25-28%
    UKIP 15-20%
    LibDem 12-15%

That runs against two usual "rules" AFAIK.
  • Options
    justin124 said:

hucks67 said:

It is,however, very normal for the Opposition to gain in relation to the Government during the formal month long period of the election campaign - ie the four weeks leading up to polling day. This happened in 1959 - 1964 - 1966 - 1970 - Feb 1974 - Oct 1974 - 1987 - 2001 - 2005 - 2010.
    Not with Ed and Ed all over the TV screens. I think the Tories are near their top but Labour have a long way to fall. Perversely think they will win seats like Broxtowe which are relatively prosperous but lose much safer seats where the local party isnt used to a real fight and defections of core left to Green will let UKIP, Tory and SNP through.

On may the 8th I think it will be the greens fuming about the electoral system not UKIP as they outpoll the Lib dems and dont win even Brighton where tactical voting of tory lib and UKIP supporters for the labour candidate will do for them.
  • Options
    justin124 said:

hucks67 said:

ICM 2010 Conservative polling
    April 11th 37
    April 7th 38
    April 3rd 37
    Mar 31st 38

End Dec 2009 and start of Jan 2010 Conservative polling was 40.
  • Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 31,120
    edited January 2015
    hucks67 said:

Tory 33-35%
    Labour 25-28%
    UKIP 15-20%
    LibDem 12-15%

UKIP won't achieve 15%+, as they have and will have some negative media coverage, which will cast them as racists and old fashioned Tories.

Labour will do well in highly populated city areas around the country, as they have always done. I don't see their vote collapsing in Scotland.

So after more than a year of just such negative media coverage which has seen their vote share increase, why exactly do you think that in the last 5 months before an election it will have the opposite effect?

The anti-UKIP brigade completely blew their campaign against the party and now, whatever they say about them, it just comes over as fear mongering and smear. No one takes the claims seriously any more because so much of it has proved to be false.

It has been a classic example of how not to oppose.
  • Options
    The other important historical election pointer,analysis of local election results,cannot be ignored.It's been a reasonable past predictor but will past performance be any guide in this unique moment of our history?
    Good chartists-the Ukip head and shoulders indicates bad portents-and contrarians could come in handy.
    An eclectic mix of pooled judgements.
  • Options

hucks67 said:

Tory 33-35%
    Labour 25-28%
    UKIP 15-20%
    LibDem 12-15%

So after more than a year of just such negative media coverage which has seen their vote share increase, why exactly do you think that in the last 5 months before an election it will have the opposite effect?

The anti-UKIP brigade completely blew their campaign against the party and now, whatever they say about them, it just comes over as fear mongering and smear. No one takes the claims seriously any more because so much of it has proved to be false.

I should have thought the strategy against UKIP will be less hyperbole about how awful they are, and more about how a vote for them is a vote for Ed/Dave - not extremely effective anymore given UKIP can point to consistently high polling and by-election wins to say it need not be a wasted vote for them, but about the best strategy that can be tried. The UKIP vote seems firmer now than in 2010, but there's bound to be some really intense Tory haters in particular who will not want to risk letting Cameron in and hold their nose to vote Labour. More than those who will hold their nose and vote Tory at any rate.
  • Options
    MarkSeniorMarkSenior Posts: 4,699
    OK The Mark Senior GE forecast result

Con 33% 280 seats
    Lab 32% 290 seats
    LDem 15% 38 seats
    UKIP 11% 2 seats
    Others 9% SNP 17 seats Plaid 3 seats NI 18 seats Speaker 1 seat IKHC 1 seat
  • Options
    FlightpathFlightpath Posts: 4,012
    edited January 2015

hucks67 said:

Tory 33-35%
    Labour 25-28%
    UKIP 15-20%
    LibDem 12-15%

it was a clever tactic of Farage and UKIP to come out with such an endless stream of racist comments that it led them forbidding their members and candidates to use the internet or give interviews. A brilliant example of how to oppose.
  • Options
    NickPalmer thanks for your response. Clearly losing so many seats in Scotland is not what Labour really fear. Sleepwalking to a disaster? As to your resources, yours is a seat Labour must win to have any chance of election victory. However that said, if Labour really were going after 100 sets, they ought to be able to re-direct resources away from yours to the seats in the 90+ range of marginals. Fact that they have not indicates either ineptitude or a strategy built on under 50 gains.
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,889
    Happy 2015 to my fellow PBers!

My 35,35,10,10 prediction from several months back still looks sound to me. As to how that translates into seats, er, pass!
  • Options

hucks67 said:

Tory 33-35%
    Labour 25-28%
    UKIP 15-20%
    LibDem 12-15%

it was a clever tactic of Farage and UKIP to come out with such an endless stream of racist comments that it led them forbidding their members and candidates to use the internet or give interviews. A brilliant example of how to oppose.
    Oh I do love the sour grapes from the Tory party fanatics. I have huge sympathy for many Tory supporters on here who might see their hopes derailed in May. The same goes for Labour and Lib Dem supporters.

Some however like you I positively look forward to seeing crushed as you make no useful contribution to this site beyond giving us someone to scorn and laugh at.

I think 'deluded' is the best way to describe you.
  • Options
    HurstLlamaHurstLlama Posts: 9,098
    O/T

If TSE is about, he was asking about good books on the Crusades. Just looking at my emails for the first time for a week or two I see Amazon is promoting:

The Oxford History of the Crusades

in paperback for a mere £11.99. Looks like a serious bit of modern scholarship presented in a form accessible to the non-specialist. I have put it on my birthday present list* and TSE might want to seriously consider it.

*A list which Herself will, as usual, ignore in favour of things I need (e.g. socks) or books which I don't (e.g. this Christmas she bought me Joseph's Sinclair's memoir of the Napoleonic Wars, "A soldier of the 71st" - a fine story but about a man, a regiment, a war and a period in which I have no interest).
  • Options

As seen on Twitter...

UKIP are not a racist party.

In the same way as you don't get stung by a beehive.
  • Options
    OT
    The other day I pointed out that the military might not come out of Chilcot very well and this review of a book by Major-General Christopher Elliott confirms it.
    http://www.thetimes.co.uk/tto/news/uk/defence/article4311018.ece

''Britain will lose more wars unless military chiefs stop agreeing to impossible missions after a decade of errors in Iraq and Afghanistan, a new book warns.
    'High Command', based on interviews with many of those at the helm of the military and the Ministry of Defence from the turn of the century, also identifies fundamental flaws inside the ministry that set the conditions for failure.
    Offering a rare insight into the turmoil within the armed forces during one of the most critical decisions of the two wars — the deployment of British forces to Helmand in 2006when they were still fighting in southern Iraq.
    ...General Elliot reveals evidence of how senior British officers in Basra were totally opposed to the move.
    The book also reveals how the head of the MoD’s internal think-tank tore apart the way in which Britain’s subsequent mission into Helmand had been put together by military chiefs.
    'It was designed like the raid on Dieppe in 1942, which ended in complete failure, when given the right effort it could have been like D-Day in 1944,' Major-General Mungo Melvin told the heads of the three armed services in July 2006, just weeks into the deployment. 'I think we have got Afghanistan profoundly wrong. History will judge you.' ''
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 41,118
    edited January 2015
    Under Coalition & Labour immigration policy, the best Pakistani or Nigerian engineer would have to jump through hoops to live and work in the UK while the worst German or French engineer would be welcomed with no questions asked

I have to take my hat off to the establishment parties for having such discriminatory policies, that could easily be seen as based on race and religion, yet get the public to think that those who oppose the policy are the racists

If a muslim hating white supremacist wanted an immigration policy that kept England white and Christian, he'd cling to EU membership and our current system for as long as he could
  • Options
    isam said:

Under Coalition & Labour immigration policy, the best Pakistani or Nigerian engineer would have to jump through hoops to live and work in the UK while the worst German or French engineer would be welcomed with no questions asked

If a muslim hating white supremacist wanted an immigration policy that kept England white and Christian, he'd cling to EU membership and our current system for as long as he could

A German engineer may be available but does not have to be employed by anybody if they do not want. Treating Australians and Indians the same hardly smacks as racist.
    German, American, Japanese and Indian inward investment has transformed our car industry and employ good British engineers and managers. Thick kippers risk all that inward investment such that its quite possible to speculate that with their policies we would have no need and no point to import engineers from anywhere for anything.
  • Options

isam said:

A German engineer may be available but does not have to be employed by anybody if they do not want. Treating Australians and Indians the same hardly smacks as racist.
    German, American, Japanese and Indian inward investment has transformed our car industry and employ good British engineers and managers. Thick kippers risk all that inward investment such that its quite possible to speculate that with their policies we would have no need and no point to import engineers from anywhere for anything.
    We need no lessons from racists like you who see predominantly white Europeans as being more worthy of being allowed into the country than predominantly non white Asians or Africans. Your party's whole immigration policy is inherently racist and it does not surprise me to see bigots like you clinging desperately to the fortress Europe ideal.
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,346
    £40 Billion down the drain just to be defeated by a handful of peasants, just about sums up the state of the country. This is what happens when fools are allowed unchecked access to the trough. lapdogs for the US and made a mess of it.
    http://stopwar.org.uk/news/how-britain-spent-40bn-suffering-humiliating-defeat-in-afghanistan-while-trying-to-impress-the-us#.VKUZtntYIqI.twitter
  • Options
    JonnyJimmyJonnyJimmy Posts: 2,548

whatever they say about them, it just comes over as fear mongering and smear. No one takes the claims seriously any more because so much of it has proved to be false.

Some however like you I positively look forward to seeing crushed as you make no useful contribution to this site beyond giving us someone to scorn and laugh at.

Are you trying to break into comedy?

"No one takes the claims seriously", except the 85% who don't support UKIP? Are they "nobody" in UKIPland?

You look forward to seeing people "crushed"? Is this official UKIP policy for those that dare to call UKIP racist, or - even more brazenly - laugh at them?

If it's not an attempt at comedy, it still makes you funny - in a sad kind of way.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

£40 Billion down the drain just to be defeated by a handful of peasants, just about sums up the state of the country.

Sorry, I thought we won the referendum?

... I'll get my coat ;)
  • Options

hucks67 said:

Tory 33-35%
    Labour 25-28%
    UKIP 15-20%
    LibDem 12-15%

Oh I do love the sour grapes from the Tory party fanatics. I have huge sympathy for many Tory supporters on here who might see their hopes derailed in May. The same goes for Labour and Lib Dem supporters.

I think 'deluded' is the best way to describe you.
    You are sounding like Kevin Keegan. I'm not going to be crushed by anything. Its the nation which will suffer under a Labour govt if people like you get their way. Its the nation that will be denied a referendum on the EU.

Your definition of 'sour grapes', not to mention 'deluded' is a new one on me. But we know that your accusations are merely a smoke screen to hide the truth of what I say. UKIP were being found out to such a degree that its poster boy totally contradicted its leaders defence of crass racism and its executive told its members to shut up - ie hide their ting tong racist tendencies. You do wonder how many times Farage has to apologise before it starts wearing a bit thin. He even had to apologise to Atkinson for apologising for her.
  • Options
    justin124justin124 Posts: 11,527

justin124 said:

hucks67 said:

ICM 2010 Conservative polling
    April 11th 37
    April 7th 38
    April 3rd 37
    Mar 31st 38

End Dec 2009 and start of Jan 2010 Conservative polling was 40.
    That does not contradict my point at all. If you look at all the polls for the first week of April 2010 - with exception of a single ICM poll - they gave the Tories a bigger lead over Labour than the 7.3% outcome on May 6th.
  • Options
    IndigoIndigo Posts: 9,966

Scott_P said:

Former joint UNITE leader Derek Simpson was the one who won it for Ed.
    As a non-Labourite I think they would be a fool not to pick Mrs Balls if it came to it. She must tick most of the boxes, and is an effective performer. The only two sticking points would seem to be she might have to pick the wrong shadow chancellor for domestic reasons, and Labour dont seem to like picking women for the top job. Arguably she also hails from the wrong side of Hadrians Wall.

• Options
    edited January 2015
    RobD said:

malcolmg said:

£40 Billion down the drain just to be defeated by a handful of peasants, just about sums up the state of the country.

... I'll get my coat ;)
    hmmm that is debatable as well, time will tell, but you are probably close on their spending on that as well..LOL
  • Options

whatever they say about them, it just comes over as fear mongering and smear. No one takes the claims seriously any more because so much of it has proved to be false.

Are you trying to break into comedy?

"No one takes the claims seriously", except the 85% who don't support UKIP? Are they "nobody" in UKIPland?

You look forward to seeing people "crushed"? Is this official UKIP policy for those that dare to call UKIP racist, or - even more brazenly - laugh at them?

If it's not an attempt at comedy, it still makes you funny - in a sad kind of way.
    Nope, just my policy to morons like Flightpath who are frankly a waste of oxygen.

And the idea that 85% of the public consider UKIP racist is like the idea that 70% of the public consider the Tories 'nasty'. It shows a basic lack of logic - unsurprising from the Tory fanatics these days.
  • Options
    edited January 2015
    malcolmg said:

RobD said:

malcolmg said:

... I'll get my coat ;)
    hmmm that is debatable as well, time will tell, but you are probably close on their spending on that as well..LOL
    Well, unless the votes are revised, I don't think it will change. Whether or not a future referendum is won/lost is another issue ;)

edit to add - nothing like a good bribe! hah
  • Options
    RobD said:

malcolmg said:

RobD said:

malcolmg said:

... I'll get my coat ;)
    hmmm that is debatable as well, time will tell
    Well, unless the votes are revised, I don't think it will change. Whether or not a future referendum is won/lost is another issue ;)
    For sure , but you would wonder who actually won way things are up here, looks more and more like it was better than a win if things continue as they are.
  • Options
    edited January 2015
    RobD said:

malcolmg said:

RobD said:

malcolmg said:

... I'll get my coat ;)

edit to add - nothing like a good bribe! hah
    we are waiting on the cuts unfortunately, reverse bribes in this case

PS; We are getting control of road signs mind you so not all bad
  • Options
    IndigoIndigo Posts: 9,966

Your definition of 'sour grapes', not to mention 'deluded' is a new one on me. But we know that your accusations are merely a smoke screen to hide the truth of what I say. UKIP were being found out to such a degree that its poster boy totally contradicted its leaders defence of crass racism and its executive told its members to shut up - ie hide their ting tong racist tendencies.

Tories in glasshouses shouldn't throw stones, the Mirror helpfully listed 22 Tories that got into trouble for racist and/or sexist comments in the last year.
    http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/proof-camerons-tories-racist-sexist-191792

And they even forgot to mention good old Bob 'ragheads' 'jungle bunnies' and 'sons of camel drivers' Frost, who is still a Conservative Councillor
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 19,339
    A very happy 2015 to all those who comment here and I hope you win lots of money this year. I don't know if I will bet on the election since all seems clouded, but I will continue to follow your discussions with great interest. My very best to you all and thanks to mike S for his continued informative site
  • Options
    Indigo said:

Your definition of 'sour grapes', not to mention 'deluded' is a new one on me. But we know that your accusations are merely a smoke screen to hide the truth of what I say. UKIP were being found out to such a degree that its poster boy totally contradicted its leaders defence of crass racism and its executive told its members to shut up - ie hide their ting tong racist tendencies.

Tories in glasshouses shouldn't throw stones, the Mirror helpfully listed 22 Tories that got into trouble for racist and/or sexist comments in the last year.

And they even forgot to mention good old Bob 'ragheads' 'jungle bunnies' and 'sons of camel drivers' Frost, who is still a Conservative Councillor
    0.27% of all Tory councillors. That probably dramatically under-represents the number of racists/sexists in the country. Wonder what the ratio for the other parties is?
  • Options
    Paul_Mid_BedsPaul_Mid_Beds Posts: 1,409
    edited January 2015
    Indigo said:

Not to mention the two n***** spouting Conservative Councillors who were the subject of yesterdays Mail article, both of whom appear to still be still conservative councillors (over 6 months since the phrase was apparently uttered to a member of the public in one case).

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2892885/Deputy-mayor-racism-storm-comparing-flood-prevention-n-woodpile-council-meeting.html
  • Options
    SpeedySpeedy Posts: 12,100
    If I have to make a prediction of seats based on what polls show now, it will be this:
    LAB 288-308
    CON 234-249
    SNP 42-52
    LD 24-31
    UKIP 9-20
    GRN 1
  • Options
    Perhaps I'm a pessimist on Labour seats and an optimist on Tory seats, but I assume a realistic 5.5% swing to Labour outside of Scotland with UKIP making a difference but not that much, for instance it will prevent Labour from gaining some seats like Thurrock or S. Basildon and might get some Labour seats like Great Yarmouth and Great Grimsby or another 2-3 Labour seats on a good day and up to 10-15 Tory seats.
    But the UKIP factor is still marginal in that it increases the Labour-Tory difference in seats by about 10 in number. It's the Tory to Labour swing and the SNP that play a much bigger role.
  • Options
    Seamus Milne supports my analysis of this being a pre-revolutionary phase in the wider contexhttp://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2015/jan/01/challenge-to-old-order-growing?CMP=twt_gut.
  • Options

isam said:

The current immigration system ensures more white Christians and less non white muslims, and you consider a party whose system would increase the ratio of non white immigrants as racist
  • Options

OK The Mark Senior GE forecast result

Con 33% 280 seats
    Lab 32% 290 seats
    LDem 15% 38 seats
    UKIP 11% 2 seats
    Others 9% SNP 17 seats Plaid 3 seats NI 18 seats Speaker 1 seat IKHC 1 seat

A tad high for the LDem? Have you included the 7 Lib losses in Escotia?

About right for Ukip 1-2-3 dutch.
  • Options

Seamus Milne supports my analysis of this being a pre-revolutionary phase in the wider contexhttp://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2015/jan/01/challenge-to-old-order-growing?CMP=twt_gut.

Well we could be, but europe was in that stage for 30 years before the Russian revolution.
    It will take time, probably in the next decade or it might never happen and europe quietly vanishes from the world like Japan did.
    But if europe is to recover it has to jettison the old political and economic model, if it fails to do so then Japan is it's future.
  • Options
    edited January 2015
    The seat projections from Baxter are obvious nonsense, but without we shouldn't throw the baby out with the bathwater.. if the vote percentages are broadly correct what should the seats be?

If UKIP get 15.5% I would expect at least 7-8 seats

If UKIP get 15.5% and Lib Dems get 8.5% I'd be confident of winning my UKIP x4 seats bets, but Old Biddy Baxter thinks it will be a terrible result for me!
  • Options
    edited January 2015

isam said:

Point of order.
    British transportation exports have fallen from 25% of all Exports in 1998 to 15% in 2012, or in constant numbers they have grown from 43$ billion to 53$ billion.
    In Machinery&Electrical exports the share has fallen from 60% in 1998 to 21% in 2012, or in constant numbers they have fallen from 106$ billion to 74$ billion.

I can't see a positive EU effect on UK manufacturing.
    All export growth since the 90's has been oil and chemical products.
    http://atlas.cid.harvard.edu/explore/stacked/export/gbr/all/show/1995.2012.2/

All that supposed inward investment hasn't produced any growth in manufacturing or exports of goods
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,227
    Health, wealth and happiness to all in 2015.

A nice sentiment, but it clearly ain't going to happen for all on here! Anecdote alert: dinner party last night, and the unifying wish for 2015 around the table was that Ed Miliband be kept well away from the levers of power....
  • Options

A nice sentiment, but it clearly ain't going to happen for all on here! Anecdote alert: dinner party last night, and the unifying wish for 2015 around the table was that Ed Miliband be kept well away from the levers of power....

Well your particular dinner party might not be the best representative sample of the electorate, I don't think most dinner parties on New Years Eve in the country wasted their time talking about Ed Miliband or politics in general.
  • Options

Ready meal for one? ;)
  • Options
    OmniumOmnium Posts: 9,879
    Well HNY all.

UKIP seat wins could be anything from about 3 to 50 with a 15% vote share. I think they'll do better than that in terms of vote share though. If they have any sense they'll be going hard at Labour, and the old slumbering beast has little defence. Ed, and Ed with pop-guns on the skirmish line, Hatty with her man-eating flamethrower, and Yvette with her withering look (poor old EdB) in the reserve.

However the beneficiaries of all this UKIP fire may be the LDs. A couple of months ago I was thinking that my big 2015 bet would be low LD seats, but I've pulled the plug on that for the above reason.

In a year's time Cameron, Clegg, Ed, or Farage might be forgotten men. My guess is that one out of the four will have gone (Ed).

• Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,403
    Well, 15% vote share for UKIP will win them a lot of seats (25+) if the LibDems also have 15% and the Greens 10% (simply because it means nobody is going to have more than 30% vote share). On the other hand, if UKIP get 15%, the LibDems 5% and the Greens 2%, then UKIP is going to struggle to get more than a handful of seats.
  • Options
    MarkHopkinsMarkHopkins Posts: 5,584

new thread

This discussion has been closed.