Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Will the next Tory leader be elected unopposed?

2»

Comments

• Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    @isam Civil partnerships are commonly referred to as marriages in everyday conversation. If you think the most important part of my post was an indirect song reference which you are pathologically determined to interpret in one way, you're rather missing the point.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,998
    taffys said:

"Lola" is about a bloke who accidentally kisses a transvestite

Isn't it about a man who kisses a girl he fancies who turns out to be a transvestite? (a bit like 'the crying game, except when the singer finds out Lola's a man, he still fancies her/him?)/

I didn't think he still fancied "her/him"... but I didn't write the song so who knows?

What I do know is that it isn't a song written by a gay man expressing love for another man

• Options
    old_labourold_labour Posts: 3,238
    I am not sure if this comment in the Mail, which got 18 likes, is meant to be ironic or not.

The House Of Lords must stand up for DEMOCRACY. Regardless of what the 3 main parties and the so-called majority of the of Britain think, they must stand up for those of us who are homophobic and vote UKIP.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/debate/article-2335434/Gay-marriage-peers-vote-principle.html#ixzz2VGNPMQyx
  • Options
    antifrank said:

@isam Civil partnerships are commonly referred to as marriages in everyday conversation. If you think the most important part of my post was an indirect song reference which you are pathologically determined to interpret in one way, you're rather missing the point.

You are very touch y about this aren't you?!

"Pathologically determined"??!!!

Are you crazy?

It just isn't a song about gay love, its about a naive, drunk bloke kissing a bloke who he thought was a woman! You are the one who is determined to see it a different way!

"Sunny" by Morrissey is about a mans love for another man and is one of my favourite songs..

I realise you think anyone who is in favour of traditional marriage hates the thought of homosexuality, but it isn't the case

Accept that people are different.

Try not to judge

• Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,005
    F1: two DRS zones in Canada:
    http://www.espn.co.uk/canada/motorsport/story/109625.html

Not really needed, to be honest. Montreal's a proper circuit where overtaking happens anyway.
  • Options
    old_labourold_labour Posts: 3,238
    Edward VII, when Prince of Wales, was a leading supporter of changing the law to abolish the prohibition that forbade a man from marrying his brother's widow.
  • Options
    @isam I'm not touchy at all. Just perplexed why you're so vehement that the man who sings about "my Lola" and admits "I'd never ever kissed a woman before", with the song ending at a point where Lola promises "dear boy I'm gonna make you a man", is a straight man making a mistake rather than a man who might be deciding that he likes what he's stumbled into.
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,787
    Interesting blog on the differences in deportation of terrorism suspects between Britain & France:

http://blogs.spectator.co.uk/books/2013/06/countering-terrorism-in-britain-and-france-by-frank-foley-review/

To understand the French, Foley insists readers first appreciate their vulnerabilities. Their borders were twice breached in the first half of the last century, after which French forces found themselves enveloped by counterinsurgency commitments in Algeria. This has caused a muscular and frequently hypersensitive civic understanding of liberty to evolve in France. Political efforts to achieve ‘security maximisation’ are consequently afforded greater flexibility by French judges than elsewhere.

What is frequently perceived as British pusillanimity – our unwillingness to sometimes remove highly distasteful individuals – is actually, Foley argues, symptomatic of our confidence and quiet self-assurance. There is a sense that the Islamist threat is far from exceptional. Yes, jihadists callously killed an unsuspecting soldier in Woolwich last week, but the British Armed Forces have endured much more menacing foes in the past. British shores were never breached. The Nazis were overcome; and the IRA was slowly unravelled.
  • Options
    antifrank said:

Listen, I don't want to get into a big argument about this. Debating online can magnify a small difference of opinion into a bigger one that isn't really there. You seem generally a decent person who I mostly agree with, except on how to price up match bets, and I can get into the habit of arguing to win the argument rather than because I care about the topic all that much.

As I said before I am not married, religious, or gay so this topic doesn't really have anything to do with me and means a lot to you , I just can empathise with existing married couples who got married when it meant one thing and now its meaning has changed in their eyes.

...and that most gay couples in civil partnerships call themselves "married" as you say, then why the fuss?

Hope you haven't written a cutting response to my previous post in the meantime!

• Options
    @isam So recognise reality, rather than treating gay men and lesbians as second class citizens, and call what is in practice marriage as marriage.
  • Options
    antifrank said:

@isam I'm not touchy at all. Just perplexed why you're so vehement that the man who sings about "my Lola" and admits "I'd never ever kissed a woman before", with the song ending at a point where Lola promises "dear boy I'm gonna make you a man", is a straight man making a mistake rather than a man who might be deciding that he likes what he's stumbled into.

After they kiss and he rumbles its a bloke, the singer pushes Lola away and runs to the door. They "look" at each other and he says "that's the way that I want it to stay"...

A lot of artists say that a songs meaning is whatever it means to the listener, and so lets just go with that?

• Options
    antifrank said:

@isam So recognise reality, rather than treating gay men and lesbians as second class citizens, and call what is in practice marriage as marriage.

Nah
  • Options
    hucks67hucks67 Posts: 758
    Can't see Cameron facing a leadership contest as there would be an early General Election, followed by Labour winning with a landslide. I predict there being a caretaker leader of the Tories in opposition until 2016, when BOJO will take over. Not sure how the Tories would arrange for a Tory MP to stand down a year after winning their seat to accommodate BOJO.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,997

F1: two DRS zones in Canada:
    http://www.espn.co.uk/canada/motorsport/story/109625.html

Not really needed, to be honest. Montreal's a proper circuit where overtaking happens anyway.

I do like those, might watch it - Monaco GP is the pits.
  • Options
    taffystaffys Posts: 9,753
    I didn't think he still fancied "her/him"... but I didn't write the song so who knows?

The way it ends could be said to be ambiguous I guess, but what is certain is that the singer is ostensibly straight, but is not in any way offended or reviled by what happens, and given the time it was written that's important.

I was only a kid in the 60s, but I would imagine that gay people faced hatred, discrimination and violence on a widespread scale at the time. That's one reason its such a ground breaking and innovative song, and why the Kinks are rightly cited as an influence by so many artists.
  • Options
    Is Salmond going to try and extend the franchise to pandas ? Will he be able to find Yang Guang's Scottish passport ?
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-scotland-politics-22765102
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,763
    Couldn't we just call gay marriage Snickers ?
  • Options
    Indeed, Mr. Pulpstar. Possibly excepting Singapore, Monaco's the worst circuit on the calendar. It's deranged that the race has no fee, whereas others (such as Spa) are struggling to scrounge together enough money to keep going.
  • Options
    JamesKellyJamesKelly Posts: 1,348
    "Is Salmond going to try and extend the franchise to pandas ?"

That would be deeply unfair for as long as there are more giant pandas in Scotland than Tory MPs.
  • Options
    MarchesMarches Posts: 51
    One wonders what the people who are against the equalisation of marriage would have thought about, in a different time, Disraeli's expansion of the franchise or, later, the emancipation of women. There is an opportunity here, in political terms, for long term advantage (think in equivalence of the primrose league or working class conservatism) but that's clearly way too subtle.

More broadly, the best way to save an institution is to draw as many people as possible into its orbit. As I understand it, outside the upper middle class the propensity to marry is declining [I can't be bothered to check the statistics so]: drawing a new segment of society into it is not going to harm.

Finally, and from a personal perspective, I am married but find the attempts by the religious lobby to claim it as their sole preserve utterly wrong. I am not a brain damaged simpleton and don't want to be seen as implicitly supporting their views.
  • Options
    tim said:

Couldn't we just call gay marriage Snickers ?

Are you saying your straight one has been a Marathon
    bar the occasional Starburst, marriage is a Marathon - I just hope it doesn't end in Boston.
  • Options

Indeed, Mr. Pulpstar. Possibly excepting Singapore, Monaco's the worst circuit on the calendar. It's deranged that the race has no fee, whereas others (such as Spa) are struggling to scrounge together enough money to keep going.

Monaco is all about the periphery, the hangers on and people who want to be seen. Actual racing ? Not so much.

Give me Spa-Francorchamps, Monza and Silverstone any day of the week.
  • Options
    Monaco's the worst circuit on the calendar.

Presumably this is taking into account the legion of complaints I have heard about time it takes to get in and out of Silverstone...
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Is Salmond going to try and extend the franchise to pandas ? Will he be able to find Yang Guang's Scottish passport ?
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-scotland-politics-22765102

if he did the pandas would vote to stay in the UK 2-0
  • Options
    Heres an image that tells a story:

http://p.imgci.com/db/PICTURES/CMS/158800/158854.jpg

Aussies skittled for 63 today ;D
  • Options
    SeanT said:

is this new?

UK - TNS BMRB poll: CON 24%, LAB 37%, LDEM 10%, UKIP 19%

http://www.tns-bmrb.co.uk/news-and-events/media-alert-ukip-support-double-the-size-of-liberal-democrats

Pretty horrible for the Tories. Good for UKIP. Very nice for Labour. The right now almost split down the middle.

I assume that translates to a 100+ majority for Labour in terms of seats ? (Maybe 150+ ?)
  • Options
    Gerry_ManderGerry_Mander Posts: 621
    isam said:

You just did so again when answering an answer about what gay marriage should be called.

I would love to call it farriage, just to wind up UKIP.
  • Options
    What price UKIP Tory crossover this year?

Someone be bold and put up a price cmon!!!
  • Options
    Mr. Taffys, Silverstone's a thousand times better than Monaco.
  • Options
    JamesKellyJamesKelly Posts: 1,348
    'Exclusive : How Mike Nesbitt unwittingly convinced me of the case for Scottish independence'

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-22611355
  • Options
    AveryLPAveryLP Posts: 7,815
    tim said:

Pulpstar said:

SeanT said:

is this new?

http://www.tns-bmrb.co.uk/news-and-events/media-alert-ukip-support-double-the-size-of-liberal-democrats

Pretty horrible for the Tories. Good for UKIP. Very nice for Labour. The right now almost split down the middle.

I assume that translates to a 100+ majority for Labour in terms of seats ? (Maybe 150+ ?)

But remember the PB Tory mantra.

"UKIP are hurting Labour as much as they are hurting the Tories"
    UKIP is an holiday island to the Tories, tim.

Like a weekend on Ibiza: an introduction to odd people drinking odd drinks in odd bars.

For Labour voters UKIP provides asylum and a lifeline.

• Options
    A political betting website where no one dare put up a price on a political bet on request

tut tut
  • Options
    SeanT said:

AveryLP said:

tim said:

Pulpstar said:

SeanT said:

is this new?

Like a weekend on Ibiza: an introduction to odd people drinking odd drinks in odd bars.

Turning into quite a long holiday though, isn't it? It is possible the missing Tories have emigrated, and they ain't coming back.
    I was hoping to flush you out, Sean.

Buying a new build villa on the Algarve is a UKIP policy.

Be a real Tory. Here is your new holiday home:

http://bit.ly/11pvvVq

You might have to complete the fifth novel though, but the premium is not impossible!
  • Options
    SeanT said:

AveryLP said:

tim said:

Pulpstar said:

SeanT said:

is this new?

Turning into quite a long holiday though, isn't it? It is possible the missing Tories have emigrated, and they ain't coming back.
    Done too much UKIP in Ibiza and come home with a different outlook on life

• Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,367
    SeanT said:

The Tories cannot possibly approach a General Election, with Cameron in place, if the polls are like this in 2015.

They would have to sack him, & get a new leader who will do a pact with UKIP. Surely?

Parties always think they'll miraculously recover. The belief that one ingenious new policy wheeze or one great speech or one brilliant PPB will turn the tide is strangely hard for professional politicians to shed, against all experience to the contrary. We all underestimate the extent to which voters just make up their minds and stop thinking about it.

But the converse is that the hard-headed core of potential leaders simply don't want to take over a sinking ship. That is what protected Gordon as much as anything, and IMO it's protecting Cameron now. There are plenty of signs of Hammond, May, Boris etc. discreetly moving into position for June 2015. No signs at all of them inciting a pre-2015 coup.
  • Options
    Wonder what UKIP think of those TNS numbers.

They will undoubtedly have done the maths. No wonder they are trying to tilt at labour voters!!
  • Options
    SeanT said:

AveryLP said:

SeanT said:

AveryLP said:

tim said:

Pulpstar said:

SeanT said:

is this new?

I was hoping to flush you out, Sean.

Buying a new build villa on the Algarve is a UKIP policy.

Be a real Tory. Here is your new holiday home:

http://bit.ly/11pvvVq

You might have to complete the fifth novel though, but the premium is not impossible!
    Oddly enough, I know that house. I went to St Cirq Lapopie about three years ago - happily on a warm September day outside the tourist high season (it is, I understand, hideously crowded in summer).

Very beautiful part of the world. I love the Lot.

Talking of beautiful parts of the world, I'm off to Tuscany on Sunday, to write for Mister Murdoch.

Here is one place I am staying:

http://cdn.media.kiwicollection.com/media/property/PR002833/xl/002833-01-exterior-with-view-of-winery.jpg

http://www.mangiacane.com/

It's dark and lonely work, but someone's got to do it, etc etc
    How appropriate.

Built by the Machiavelli family.

*rofl*

• Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,583
    New Thread
  • Options
    COME ON!!!

We constantly hear about all the mega shrewd "ahead of the bookies" political bets everyone has... how about someone prices up a UKIP-Tory crossover in any VI opinion poll this year?

Pick a price you think is right

No Yes
    1/7 4/1?
    1/6 7/2?
    1/5 10/3?
    2/9 3/1?
    1/4 11/4?
    2/7 5/2?
    1/3 9/4?
    4/11 2/1?
    2/5 7/4?
    4/9 13/8?
    1/2 6/4?
    8/15 11/8?
    4/7 5/4?
    8/13 6/5?
    4/6 11/10?
    8/11 EVS?
    5/6 5/6?
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,403
    edited June 2013
    @SeanT (and others)

chill.

Dave is taking the Tories into the next election whatever the 23-month opinion polls say.

Is he the best possible Cons PM? Undoubtedly not. Is it possible to name a better one? Nope.

Everyone is having fun in the sun right now, I might even do it if a pollster asked me, why not? Anything to keep the mass debate going.

UKIP are a NOTA party and I would be worried if I were Lab because having two overtly no-policy parties will only mean, come January 2015, that the (currently only) party with policies cleans up.
This discussion has been closed.