Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » LDs up 3 to 12 – the big mover in this month’s ComRes phon

SystemSystem Posts: 11,704
edited December 2014 in General

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » LDs up 3 to 12 – the big mover in this month’s ComRes phone poll for the Independent

The LDs will be delighted with this poll even though they are only half the level that they got at GE2010 – but this is a bit of progress. UKIP and the Greens are down while LAB and move up.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,584
    edited December 2014
    Sleazy broken UKIP on the slide.

LibLabServatives on the rise.
  • Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787
    Sleazy broken TSE on the cheating first post trail .... again !!
  • Options
    Unite clearly have money to p**s up a wall. Windfall tax em!
  • Options
    ArtistArtist Posts: 1,883
    Nice to see at least one of the government parties achieving swingback.

Also interesting to see the public want a permanent budget deficit.
  • Options
    Another poll today that hints that the Lib Dems could soon overhaul UKIP.

Interesting.
  • Options
    MikeKMikeK Posts: 9,053
    Well, well, well; fancy that.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,990
    edited December 2014
    JackW said:

hear, hear ;)
  • Options
    RobD said:

JackW said:

hear, hear ;)
    What it's not my fault I'm quick
  • Options
    Libdem - goldilocks positioning might be working? Not too much Labour but not so much Tory....
  • Options
    MarkHopkinsMarkHopkins Posts: 5,584

Scottish (Survation) prediction competition entries are now closed.

Average SNP Lead prediction = 16.71%

• Options
    Mike S - You've missed "Conservative" from the first thread paragraph.
  • Options
    SocratesSocrates Posts: 10,322

Interesting.

Overtake or overhaul? PB would explode if Nick Clegg came in and changed UKIP party structures!
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,391
    I must say that I have been assuming for months that my bet with ISam that the Lib Dems would outpoll UKIP was a loser but there are definite glimmers of hope of late. Long way to go but glimmers.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,063
    I suppose the key question is why are the LD's doing better!
  • Options
    chestnutchestnut Posts: 7,341
    Why would UNITE fund a poll that isn't intended to serve their purpose? Same with millionaire UKIP donors.

They aren't interested in betting, they want their man to win.
  • Options

RobD said:

JackW said:

hear, hear ;)
    Not so much quick as spell bindingly premature .... much like another aspect of your intimate personal life .... allegedly.

• Options
    Bring on YouGov is what I say and, hopefully, ICM tomorrow.
  • Options
    Socrates said:

Interesting.

Overtake or overhaul? PB would explode if Nick Clegg came in and changed UKIP party structures!
    Both
  • Options
    Liverpool now in bottom half of Premier League table - who'd have thought it?
  • Options
    The circus surrounding breast feeding and that voluptuous bloke and voluptuous woman have clearly harmed UKIP. They can't afford any repeat of last week's lunacy, or the voters will turn away in mirthful bemusement and Carswell will soon be a very lonely man.
  • Options

I suppose the key question is why are the LD's doing better!

John Thurso sending out glossy leaflets to shocked and stunned Scottish Highland Tories clearly moving the polls.

• Options
    saddenedsaddened Posts: 2,245
    Starting to feel like just before the Indy ref, but this time with the kippers taking the role of the over excited premature Nats.
  • Options
    EasterrossEasterross Posts: 1,915
    Isn't this strictly the 2nd phone poll in December. The changes are compared with the poll on 1st December.
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    Talking of football, I'm fully expecting the premier league rights deal for which the tender begins next month, will be frankly ludicrous, the last deal was £3bn and was a near 50% increase

BT are about to park an entire Armoured division or two on Sky's lawn.

They've just offered £12 billion for EE, they are about to go for quad play services and end Sky's dominance.
  • Options
    JackW said:

Mike S - You've missed "Conservative" from the first thread paragraph.

Shock horror!
  • Options

Isn't this strictly the 2nd phone poll in December. The changes are compared with the poll on 1st December.

No, the last ComRes phone poll was published on the 1st of December, but fieldwork ended on the 30th of Nov
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    edited December 2014

First to ask "Have we seen peak Kipper?"

(ducks for cover)
  • Options
    Not having a judge led inquiry is causing Ed problems

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/B47fGu8CEAATfih.jpg
  • Options
    ChokinVaseChokinVase Posts: 67
    edited December 2014
    Too few polls to be sure, but I suppose it's possible we're starting to see the outsider/protest parties begin to fade slightly as voters subconsciously feel the GE approaching. If so, I find it surprising this is happening so early. I didn't expect any significant polling changes this side of Christmas and probably not until well into Feb/Mar. I'm tempted to assume for now that things will regress to the mean over the next week or so, especially with all the festivities.

If voters are returning to the LDs, the intriguing aspect is which voters, and where. It's possible for an increase in the LD vote to help the Tories, or Labour, or neither. If they're anti-Tory tactical voters returning to the LD fold, that could be very damaging for the Tories. On the other hand if they're the famed post 2010 LD-to-Labour switchers, then some Lab/Con marginals may get safer for the Conservatives. If they're Green, UKIP or abstainers returning, I'd guess that would have a more neutral effect, perhaps saving some extra LD seats but not really helping either big party particularly (except if enough were saved for Clegg to keep his job, with enough MPs to form another coalition with Cameron).

But on balance, I think it's risky to make too many assumptions about the actual result until Feb/Mar. These kinds of polling movements in the meantime will potentially be good for trading though.
  • Options
    chestnutchestnut Posts: 7,341
    Tories on 58% in Wales.

Hohoho!
  • Options
    Bobajob_Bobajob_ Posts: 195
    Anti Tory tactical vote coming back home?
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,072

Given Burnham's words about the Stafford inquiry, it looks as if Labour are rather going against inquiries. After all, they can't fully control the results, and they might harm the producer's reputation ...

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2873911/Outcry-Burnham-claims-Mid-Staffs-probe-mistake-Labour-accused-insulting-victims-saying-better-report-never-published.html
  • Options
  • Options

First to ask "Have we seen peak Kipper?"

(ducks for cover)
    Yes, every week for two years
  • Options

Me.

I said before the season started that they would struggle, I posted it on here. I backed Utd to finish above them amongst other bets against them.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,072
    BBC Ticker: Russia's central bank raises key interest rate from 10.5% to 17% amid currency fears

Ouch.
  • Options
    YouGov appears to have staged a disappearing act again
  • Options
    MarkSeniorMarkSenior Posts: 4,699
    For the lovers of Scottish sub samples Comres had

SNP 36 Lab 21 Lib Dem 15 Con 12
  • Options
    saddenedsaddened Posts: 2,245
    Bobajob_ said:

YouGov appears to have staged a disappearing act again

Don't worry it will be back, just like you.
  • Options
    Danny565Danny565 Posts: 8,091
    I still can't get over how Labour have managed to come up with an economic policy which is more right-wing than 66% of the population (according to this poll).

I'm really starting to actively want them to lose, because I fear they'd take the wrong lessons from a "win" this time.
  • Options
    Looks the Bolshevik Broadcasting Corporation are about to do to Wimbledon what they did to F1
  • Options
    A man on CNBC this morning was speculating that if the price of oil stayed low Russia would only have one thing left to sell.......land. Like they sold Alaska to America, the demographically challenged state would have to sell land to China.
  • Options

Given Burnham's words about the Stafford inquiry, it looks as if Labour are rather going against inquiries. After all, they can't fully control the results, and they might harm the producer's reputation ...

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2873911/Outcry-Burnham-claims-Mid-Staffs-probe-mistake-Labour-accused-insulting-victims-saying-better-report-never-published.html
    Typical. Of course the report caused reputational damage. The trust deserved to have its reputation traduced. Of course Labour would prefer to keep the NHS's failings secret, so we can all happily carry on believing it is The Best Health Service in the World TM.

Personally I don't believe that public bodies have the right to keep secrets from their owners, ie me.

• Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,899

Looks the Bolshevik Broadcasting Corporation are about to do to Wimbledon what they did to F1

What Suzi Perry to present it?
  • Options
    philiphphiliph Posts: 4,704

A man on CNBC this morning was speculating that if the price of oil stayed low Russia would only have one thing left to sell.......land. Like they sold Alaska to America, the demographically challenged state would have to sell land to China.

I think Ukraine may like some.
  • Options

No, share the rights with a Pay-TV partner, so not all of it will be on free to air
  • Options
    philiph said:

I think Ukraine may like some.
    The Lithuanians might like to get together with the Poles and reinvent the Commonwealth.

• Options

No, share the rights with a Pay-TV partner, so not all of it will be on free to air
    There might be something worth watching on BBC2 then.

• Options
    I'd like for us to buy the Crimea, scene of one the British Army's finest moments.
  • Options
    MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,316

Do you have a source?

BBC rights go to 2017 inclusive I think.
  • Options
    Moses_Moses_ Posts: 4,865
    edited December 2014

This won't make them happy then given they are trying to open up the Arctic for exploration.

Tuesday's FT front page:
    Plunging crude prices threaten the axe for $1tn of energy projects
    #tomorrowspaperstoday pic.twitter.com/lCeWdZy5hw

Stock up on candles and Grey Goose.
  • Options
    If UKIP have indeed peaked and look destined to collect < 15% UK wide share of the vote at the GE, then covering Ladbrokes' 10% - 15% band (57.14% of stake) at 2/1 and their 5% - 10% band (remaining 42.86% of stake) at 3/1 returns a profit of 0.714/1 (approx 8/11) on the combined stake should either element prove successful.
    DYOR.
  • Options
    I'm actually rather surprised at UKIP doing so well in Cameron's constituency.

I always assumed Oxfordshire was "wet Tory" central.
  • Options
    MikeL said:

Do you have a source?

BBC rights go to 2017 inclusive I think.
    Is on the front page of the Times

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/B47lYstIcAAgdqQ.jpg
  • Options
    peter_from_putneypeter_from_putney Posts: 6,875
    edited December 2014

Hand half of it on a plate to Sky you mean TSE?

I thought Wimbledon was a terrestrially protected species.
  • Options
    edited December 2014

Hand half of it on a plate to Sky you mean TSE?
    Possibly. It makes sense for them.

It costs a lot of money, they don't have the channel capacity to show every match, and Andy Murray's best years are behind him.
  • Options
    @Sun_Politics: YouGov/Sun poll tonight: Greens two points ahead of the Lib Dems for first time under @YouGov. LAB 34%, CON 32%, UKIP 14%, GRN 8%, LD 6%.
  • Options
    Kippers down Lab up with YouGov
  • Options
    YouGov/Sun poll tonight: Greens two points ahead of the Lib Dems for first time under @YouGov. LAB 34%, CON 32%, UKIP 14%, GRN 8%, LD 6%
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    @Sun_Politics: YouGov/Sun poll tonight: Greens two points ahead of the Lib Dems for first time under @YouGov. LAB 34%, CON 32%, UKIP 14%, GRN 8%, LD 6%.
  • Options
    The BBC would broadcast matches involving British players, Sky to get the remnants. Come on Tim!
  • Options
    Good Polling day for LAB

2% ahead in all 3 polls
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,369
    Met a constituent the other day who was thinking of voting Green (former non-voter, anti-main party) because he'd seen they were up in the polls so they might be worth a punt - the first time I've encountered someone directly reacting to polls.

But a couple of reasonable polls for Labour there.
  • Options
    philiphphiliph Posts: 4,704

Good Polling day for LAB

2% ahead in all 3 polls

Stratospheric!
  • Options

If UKIP have indeed peaked and look destined to collect < 15% UK wide share of the vote at the GE, then covering Ladbrokes' 10% - 15% band (57.14% of stake) at 2/1 and their 5% - 10% band (remaining 42.86% of stake) at 3/1 returns a profit of 0.714/1 (approx 8/11) on the combined stake should either element prove successful.
    DYOR.

Good tip Peter i will have a go at that
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,292
    edited December 2014

Good Polling day for LAB

2% ahead in all 3 polls

Wow expectations from the red teams biggest supporter have some what fallen, if being 2% ahead is now a good day.

Just think back to those "last days of Rome" type days when Labour were 10%+ ahead.
  • Options

Good Polling day for LAB

2% ahead in all 3 polls

Hey, 3 with ComRes. Interrogate this comrade for disturbingly pessimistic reports!

• Options

Good Polling day for LAB

2% ahead in all 3 polls

Er, ComRes 32-29=3.

• Options
    20 weeks to go. Is the Liberal strategy to hang on for dear life in the hope that something will come up? Or do they have a trick up their sleeve? Paging Mark Senior
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    Emily Maitlis has just retweeted one of my tweets.

Get in.

First Susanna Reid....
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633

Good Polling day for LAB

2% ahead in all 3 polls

The first froth coming off the top of the purple pint does seem to be going to Labour.
  • Options
    peter_from_putneypeter_from_putney Posts: 6,875
    edited December 2014
    Where are the Communists Greens finding their support from, seemingly not from Labour?
  • Options
    Eastleigh #libdem MP @Mike4Eastleigh signs @UKLabour motion to protect Firefighters pensions, then VOTES against it.
  • Options
    PlatoPlato Posts: 15,724
    chris g @chrisg0000
    Straws in the wind?

Today's polling

#Ukip down 2 with #Comres
    #Ukip down 2 with #Yougov
    #Ukip down 2 with #populus
  • Options

Good Polling day for LAB

2% ahead in all 3 polls

Wow expectations from the red teams biggest supporter have some what fallen, if being 2% ahead is now a good day.

Just think back to those "last days of Rome" type days when Labour were 10%+ ahead.
    Yes but the difference is we are now only 20 weeks from the election. Which position would you prefer? It's not necessarily a straightforward answer. Time comes into play at some point.
  • Options

Where are the Communists Greens finding their support from, seemingly not from Labour?

I've been looking into this, it is coming partly from 2010 LDs who switched to Labour the moment the coalition was formed, and also from DNV in 2010
  • Options

I've been looking into this, it is coming partly from 2010 LDs who switched to Labour the moment the coalition was formed, and also from DNV in 2010
    Is it time for a thread on the Red Green Liberals?

• Options
    Plato said:

chris g @chrisg0000
    Straws in the wind?

Today's polling

#Ukip down 2 with #

And Labour up - but no, it's just MOE I suspect
  • Options
    Bobajob_ said:

Having spent 100 euros so PB can keep on using datawrapper, I'm looking at any excuse to do techni-colour bar charts.
  • Options
    Yes - 3 polls - average Lab lead = 2.33%

Compares to an average of 1.21% over the previous 15 days (19 polls).

Positive for Lab but not a big enough sample yet to say lead has actually widened.

But UKIP falling is encouraging for Con long term - because if UKIP does start falling it will encourage the wasted vote narrative and the fall could then gather momentum.
  • Options
    Do the people in the Westminster bubble truly, in their heart of hearts, think there's some huge ideological gap between the Tories and Labour? David Gauke and Chris Leslie are on Newsnight now, and are literally saying the exact same things.

One day, this generation of politicians will make a fascinating case study in "narcissism of minor differences".
  • Options

Bobajob_ said:

Having spent 100 euros so PB can keep on using datawrapper, I'm looking at any excuse to do techni-colour bar charts.
    The perfect opportunity - if you combine it with an AV model, you could do the second chart in pastel shades
  • Options
    MikeL said:

Yes - 3 polls - average Lab lead = 2.33%

Compares to an average of 1.21% over the previous 15 days (19 polls).

Positive for Lab but not a big enough sample yet to say lead has actually widened.

But UKIP falling is encouraging for Con long term - because if UKIP does start falling it will encourage the wasted vote narrative and the fall could then gather momentum.

I think that's a sound point. Nothing should be done to discourage the Kipper surge, from Lab's POV
  • Options
    Plato said:

chris g @chrisg0000
    Straws in the wind?

Today's polling

Or a blip? UKIP was on 14% in Thursday's YouGov, at 11% in the 16 Nov Populus and 15% in the end-Sept ComRes. So hardly unprecedented figures. Need to wait and see if they are one-offs.

• Options
    Danny565 said:

I'm actually rather surprised at UKIP doing so well in Cameron's constituency.

I always assumed Oxfordshire was "wet Tory" central.

There are a lot of small Oxfordshire villages & market towns under pressure with surprisingly high levels of financial suffering in the kinds of groups that could be considered natural Farage territory in other demographic respects. But the reason UKIP isn't even higher is a combination of a fairly strong residual belief in core principles of the Tory party plus a lot of comfortably-off commuters & their families with houses in semi-rural Oxfordshire, within easy reach of the M40 and other major routes. That's a lot of steady Tory votes; it's true blue territory and my gut feeling tells me that it's trending more so, not less, due to the effects of house prices & even better connections to London on who can live in the county. The new rail link to Marylebone next year will only magnify this effect. HS2 has made some people grumpy in the short term, but in the long term, it will also pull more well-off commuters to the county.

Oxford itself in an entity unto itself within the county, feeling like a virtual one party state for Labour since 2010 with a few random LDs representing some of the wealthier bits. This, IMO, is largely down to the absolutely massive public sector employment, combined with a fair amount of manufacturing still. Mind you, the shift in voting patterns in the city over 30-40 years must be one of the more dramatic changes in the country. To think, it used to be a Tory council.

BBC Ticker: Russia's central bank raises key interest rate from 10.5% to 17%...

Russia is getting pounded and blood is in the water. I heard a rumour that Rosneft is planning to use proceeds of a recent multibillion bond issue simply to buy dollars. Wow...
  • Options

Eastleigh #libdem MP @Mike4Eastleigh signs @UKLabour motion to protect Firefighters pensions, then VOTES against it.

Classic Lib Dem.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,164
    Danny565 Partly why UKIP and the Greens have been on the rise even despite this poll
  • Options
    FalseFlagFalseFlag Posts: 1,801

Russia has Europe's strongest demographics. They also have negligible debt so I am unsure why they would need to sell anything.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758

RobD said:

JackW said:

hear, hear ;)
    Bet you say that to all the girls
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758

And Spurs back in their usual range of 4-6
  • Options
    FalseFlag said:

Russia has Europe's strongest demographics. They also have negligible debt so I am unsure why they would need to sell anything.
    Yes and that is why the Rouble dropped 10% in ONE DAY and their interest rates are at penurious levl of 17%!!! Next you will be telling us that a cut in public spending of 10% in one year is minor.
  • Options
    FrankBoothFrankBooth Posts: 9,060
    FalseFlag said:

No they don't. The death rate is still higher than the birth rate. Still there's no point arguing with pro-Russian posters online, they're impervious to facts.
  • Options

FalseFlag said:

No they don't. The death rate is still higher than the birth rate. Still there's no point arguing with pro-Russian posters online, they're impervious to facts.
    It seems there are rather a lot of people in the country with "seriously left-wing" economic views (by your definition), according to ComRes today :P
  • Options
    It is a photo that its subject might prefer to forget. Neil Hamilton, the Ukip deputy chairman and would-be election candidate, stands by a flag that ripples with racist symbolism.

Revealed here for the first time, the image shows the disgraced former Tory MP speaking, as guest of honour, to an expatriate club that calls for a return of “civilised rule” to South Africa.

Taken just four years after Nelson Mandela’s election ended decades of brutal apartheid, the photo of the meeting of the Springbok Club – which flies the apartheid-era flag – emerges at a time when Mr Hamilton’s past threatens to divide Ukip and thwart his attempts to return to parliament 17 years after the “cash-for-questions” scandal forced him out.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/picture-exclusive-ukips-neil-hamilton-and-the-club-that-wants-civilised-rule-restored-in-south-africa-9927119.html
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

Good Polling day for LAB

2% ahead in all 3 polls

The first froth coming off the top of the purple pint does seem to be going to Labour.
    Last in, first out is generally a sound rule for switches in voting intention. UKIP gained a swathe of Tories, then a swathe of Labour voters. Now...?
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    edited December 2014
    I thought it was interesting to learn today that apparently "a 20-year career in the City that was without blemish" is an acceptable excuse for stealing nearly £43,000 in train fares.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-30475232
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    I find it difficult to believe the LDs are as low as 4% in Witney or 8% in SW Surrey.
  • Options

Liverpool = Star Trek V: the Final Frontier?
  • Options
    anotherDaveanotherDave Posts: 6,746
    edited December 2014

Plato said:

chris g @chrisg0000
    Straws in the wind?

Today's polling

Or a blip? UKIP was on 14% in Thursday's YouGov, at 11% in the 16 Nov Populus and 15% in the end-Sept ComRes. So hardly unprecedented figures. Need to wait and see if they are one-offs.

In his 'smell the coffee' report Lord Aschcroft said the New Year polls are the most reliable:

"Early January has long been regarded as the best moment to take a reading of the levels of support for each party. With little political news or activity over the Christmas break people tend to tune out of politics and current affairs, providing an ideal opportunity to gauge voters’ views with minimal adulteration from passing news events."
  • Options
    Danny565 said:

Do the people in the Westminster bubble truly, in their heart of hearts, think there's some huge ideological gap between the Tories and Labour? David Gauke and Chris Leslie are on Newsnight now, and are literally saying the exact same things.

One day, this generation of politicians will make a fascinating case study in "narcissism of minor differences".

It was always so. As part of my A-level economics course I attended a debate between Geoffrey Robinson and Peter Walker - there wasn't much to distinguish Labour and Tory back then in the 1970s.

This discussion has been closed.