Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » As Scottish LAB prepares to unveil its new leader YouGov ha

SystemSystem Posts: 11,705
edited December 2014 in General

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » As Scottish LAB prepares to unveil its new leader YouGov has the SNP 20% ahead

New YouGov Scotland poll for the Sun has the SNP taking 20% lead over LAB
SNP 47%
LAB 27%
CON 16%
LD 3%
GRN 3%

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    IndigoIndigo Posts: 9,966
    edited December 2014
    What does the "church" of the SNP look like in practise? Does it include significant numbers of moderate "No" people, or people who are uncommitted on the independence issue (I assume there are a few), but like their left leaning politics or their perceived competence in government. Indeed does it contain significant centrist or what in England would be called "Guardian" voters because of their government record, or because people like to be associated with a winning team ? In short, what is the correlation between Yes/No and SNP voting (I suspect not as strong as some might think) and between Left/Right and SNP voting. Would a strongly right-wing nationalist vote SNP ? Would a leftie unionist vote SNP because its better than voting Tory and SLAB are toast ?
  • Options
    I wonder if there is a shy voter effect in play here.
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,787
    edited December 2014
    SLAB has not had effective direction or leadership arguably since Donald Dewar's death - two forced resignations and a procession of pygmies - they need a much better rationale than 'we're not English Torees'.......perhaps Murphy will supply that - at least he knows how to take the fight to the enemy and isn't afraid of mixing it up - Damien McBride has a sneaking admiration for him - so we'll see.....
  • Options
    McBride on Murphy:

My first encounter with Murphy was equally illuminating. When I was Gordon Brown’s media adviser in September 2008, I approached Murphy at a dinner, warned him there was a rumour that he was planning to resign, and he should get out and deny it. It was a standard tactic to intimidate a potentially wobbly minister by making them think we had eyes everywhere. He looked at me with a contemptuous smile and snorted: ‘Away and eat your chicken, you.’

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/debate/article-2817346/As-Ed-faces-disaster-north-border-Labour-s-mafioso-stabbing-Scotland-makes-Macbeth-look-like-Mrs-Brown-s-Boys-death-Union.html
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    "It’s the cheap oil, stupid: how petrol prices could decide the 2015 election
    Squeezed household finances should spell political trouble for the chancellor. But tumbling oil prices have changed the sums"

http://www.theguardian.com/business/economics-blog/2014/dec/10/falling-oil-price-cheap-petrol
  • Options
    ArtistArtist Posts: 1,883
    edited December 2014
    A YouGov a day before the 2010 election overestimated the SNP by 5% and underestimated Labour by 5%, so was a massive 10% out on the Labour lead.

http://www.newsnetscotland.scot/index.php/component/content/article/171-snp-boost-as-final-yougov-poll-shows-late-surge.html

It's obvious the SNP are way ahead but I do think pollsters struggle with Scotland specific polling.
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    Interesting approach from DMil trying to relaunch his political career, apparently the 55% of the population currently wanting to leave the EU shouldn't vote for him.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/labour/11291335/David-Miliband-hint-at-return-to-British-politics.html
    Mr Miliband also used the interview to issue a scathing critique on those who want Britain to leave the EU, calling the idea "unbelievably stupid".
  • Options
    audreyanneaudreyanne Posts: 1,376
    9 out of every 10 polls this parliament have overstated the Labour share compared to actual performance at by-elections and euros.

EdM is not exactly popular north of the border, is he?
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,144
    In May 2015, the SNP should benefit from representing a coalition of those Scots who want independence plus those Scots who do not want independence but want the best devo-max deal extracted from Westminster.

If you consider yourself a Scot first and a Brit second, then why would you vote for one of the parties that gave the Pledge rather than the party that will hold Westminster's feet to the fire over that Pledge? You can either vote for Scotland - or you can vote for Cameron. Or Clegg. Or, God forbid, Miliband.

I can see the SNP getting an absolute majority of votes in Scotland next May, simply because they have a compelling case the other parties cannot match unless you are a dyed in the wool Unionist.
  • Options

9 out of every 10 polls this parliament have overstated the Labour share compared to actual performance at by-elections and euros.

The Tories are the only party not to win a by-election that the polls suggested they'd win. The first Ashcroft and final Survation Eastleigh polls had CON in lead. The party came third.

• Options
    edited December 2014

I can see the SNP getting an absolute majority of votes in Scotland next May, simply because they have a compelling case the other parties cannot match unless you are a dyed in the wool Unionist.

So can I, the question was more which dimension requires the more holding of noses. Would right wing scots holding their nose and vote for the increasingly hard-left SNP because they were pro-independence? Putting it another way, how much of the SNP vote is because their are a competent left wing party, and not the corrupt shambles that SLAB mostly is, rather than because they are nationalists.

• Options
    Indigo said:

So can I, the question was more which dimension requires the more holding of noses. Would right wing scots holding their nose and vote for the increasingly hard-left SNP because they were pro-independence? Putting it another way, how much of the SNP vote is because their are a competent left wing party, and not the corrupt shambles that SLAB mostly is, rather than because they are nationalists.

It looks like Westminster will be weak and confused after the election. Scotland can have England by the balls with a big block of SNP votes.

That must appeal....!
  • Options

Indigo said:

It looks like Westminster will be weak and confused after the election. Scotland can have England by the balls with a big block of SNP votes.

That must appeal....!
    Its certainly going to be interesting for whoever is in No 10. On the one hand having to give sweeties to the SNP to keep them on side, and on the other hand being aware that giving stuff to the "ungrateful Scots" which the English dont get as well is rapidly going to become the ultimate vote loser.
  • Options
    Clearly Scottish Labour will get a kicking next May. It's been coming. There's no reason to vote for them. The new leader has a hell of a job on his hands. If it's Murphy, he needs to get into Holyrood asap. Longer term, anything that knocks the lazy complacency out of Labour UK-wide is a good thing. Once Ed is consigned to history and a new leader confronts a landscape in which Scotland and the North of England can no longer be taken for granted, it may - just - force him/her into engagement with the real world where the answer to every question is not NHS.
  • Options

Indigo said:

That must appeal....!

On this poll, if Labour wins most seats next May it will do so by winning in England. Would the SNP ever vote with the Tories to bring a minority Labour government down? I can't see that happening. They did that once before and it killed them for a generation. To be truly effective in Westminster the SNP needs the Tories to win in England. Whatever they say in public, that's what they'll be praying for.

• Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,206
    Indigo said:

Its certainly going to be interesting for whoever is in No 10. On the one hand having to give sweeties to the SNP to keep them on side, and on the other hand being aware that giving stuff to the "ungrateful Scots" which the English dont get as well is rapidly going to become the ultimate vote loser.

With a bit of luck it will be the end of the Union and the end of the Labour Party. It won't be Scotland leaving us it will be us leaving them.
  • Options
    edited December 2014

The Tories are the only party not to win a by-election that the polls suggested they'd win. The first Ashcroft and final Survation Eastleigh polls had CON in lead. The party came third.

Mike, that's a pretty flimsy counter. In the first place, you're wrong:

You seem to have overlooked Newark on 05th June. Three opinion polls were conducted in the run up to the vote, including your beloved Ashcroft, and all three correctly suggested the Conservatives would win.
    2–3 Jun Survation 678 42% 22% 4% 27% 5% 15% over UKIP
    27 May–1 Jun Lord Ashcroft 1,000 42% 20% 6% 27% 5% 15% over UKIP
    27–28 May Survation/The Sun 606 36% 27% 5% 28% 5% 8% over UKIP

The Conservatives won http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Newark_by-election,_2014#Polling

Secondly, there have been 21 by-elections this parliament and discounting the two UKIP defections (which were always opinion-polled to go UKIP) only 2 of the 19 have been Conservative seats. One of those was Newark. You have also selected two polls from Eastleigh, neatly conjuring away the 3 others that correctly stated the LibDems would win.

Sorry to demolish your response my old friend.

Returning to my point, 9 out of 10 polls this parliament have overstated the Labour share against actual votes. Punters may wish to take note.
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,763
    Filled up yesterday at £112.5p per litre

How's that sovereign investment fund looking ?
  • Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 38,977
    edited December 2014

$113 per barrel. That was the assumption underpinning the SNP's economic and fiscal plans. Even then they were laughable. We'll need to see a sustained upward push on the oil price before independence is seriously debated again.

Imagine the negotiations now if Yes had won. Whatever happens to the oil price now a monetary union is clearly a non-starter. It would be impossible for either side.

• Options

$113 per barrel. That was the assumption underpinning the SNP's economic and fiscal plans. Even then they were laughable. We'll need to see a sustained upward push on the oil price before independence is seriously debated again.

Imagine the negotiations now if Yes had won. Whatever happens to the oil price now a monetary union is clearly a non-starter. It would be impossible for either side.

I'm struggling to see how short or medium term we'll be back to "peak oil".

Scotland's second peak oil was based on oil price, not on volume. The price has fallen and we are already seeing exploration investment being cut back since the marginal projects probably don't make money at these levels. So roll it forward and the volume keeps dropping and the price is depressed and the SNP has to go back to the drawing board on economics.

The finance sector can't deliver growth, oil's in the doldrums so only whisky to go.

#arc of austerity
  • Options
    chestnutchestnut Posts: 7,341
    edited December 2014

Indeed.

In using polls as an predictor of the eventual outcome, the historic accuracy of the pollster should be taken into account where there is a clearly observable pattern of inaccuracy.
  • Options

Scotland's second peak oil was based on oil price, not on volume. The price has fallen and we are already seeing exploration investment being cut back since the marginal projects probably don't make money at these levels. So roll it forward and the volume keeps dropping and the price is depressed and the SNP has to go back to the drawing board on economics.

The finance sector can't deliver growth, oil's in the doldrums so only whisky to go.

#arc of austerity

Nationalism does not tend to yield to reality. Somehow, this is all going to be "Westminster's" fault. But whoever is to blame, there is no hiding from the fact that if Scotland does now vote for independence sometime in the future, it will be voting for many years of austerity far worse than the rUK will go through.

• Options
    edited December 2014

#arc of austerity

Nationalism does not tend to yield to reality. Somehow, this is all going to be "Westminster's" fault. But whoever is to blame, there is no hiding from the fact that if Scotland does now vote for independence sometime in the future, it will be voting for many years of austerity far worse than the rUK will go through.

which is why I was glad to see Cameron told the DUP and SF to sod off yesterday. Two economic incompetents whose only policy is blackmail for more pork. They want local government so make them step up to the mark and if they run out of money they can explain it to their electors.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453

If you consider yourself a Scot first and a Brit second, then why would you vote for one of the parties that gave the Pledge rather than the party that will hold Westminster's feet to the fire over that Pledge? You can either vote for Scotland - or you can vote for Cameron. Or Clegg. Or, God forbid, Miliband.

That's the Nationalist argument. Scotland = SNP

It's bollocks

There are many people who think of themselves as Scottish first who would rather see Holyrood abolished. They won't be voting SNP
  • Options

#arc of austerity

The people of Scotland have had a lucky escape in rejecting independence. Salmond’s flawed economic plan would have brought the country to its knees for a generation.
  • Options

$113 per barrel. That was the assumption underpinning the SNP's economic and fiscal plans.
    At the current $61 they are on their way to being half-right......

Meanwhile, the New Statesman:

However, the idea that a new Scottish Labour leader might be a panacea for the party, as some suggest, is nonsense. Labour’s Scottish problem is deep and structural. Many on the left have given up on the party altogether. Radical pro-independence groupings are flourishing. And Alex Salmond, the former SNP leader, is intent on returning to Westminster. For too long complacent, Labour now understands the strength of the opposition to it in Scotland. If it cannot win here, its chances of ever governing again as a majority party in Westminster are bleak indeed.

http://www.newstatesman.com/politics/2014/12/leader-labour-s-scotland-problem

Oh the halcyon days when Falkirk could be, and frequently was, dismissed as a triviality signifying nothing.....
  • Options
    chestnutchestnut Posts: 7,341
    I can't see any way back for Scottish Labour in 2015.

The referendum was a seismic event and they came so close to getting independence that the 45% are not going to give up and suddenly trudge back to the 'Red Tories'.

Let's remind ourselves; Miliband is held in lower regard than the Tory PM. That's how bad it is for Labour

Tories and Labour are fighting for most seats now, and then the right to try and build a coalition or do a deal that would enable them to govern.

• Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,064

#arc of austerity

which is why I was glad to see Cameron told the DUP and SF to sod off yesterday. Two economic incompetents whose only policy is blackmail for more pork. They want local government so make them step up to the mark and if they run out of money they can explain it to their electors.
    At least it was entertaining to see SF and DUP on the same side of an argument! So far they’re united in “blaming” Cameron, too.
  • Options
    MonksfieldMonksfield Posts: 2,237
    chestnut said:

The referendum was a seismic event and they came so close to getting independence that the 45% are not going to give up and suddenly trudge back to the 'Red Tories'.

Let's remind ourselves; Miliband is held in lower regard than the Tory PM. That's how bad it is for Labour

Tories and Labour are fighting for most seats now, and then the right to try and build a coalition or do a deal that would enable them to govern.

Indeed, and I don't think either Labour or the Tories realised at the time how the referendum would create a seismic shift in Westminster politics.
  • Options
    TomsToms Posts: 2,478
    Anne McElvoy in today's Guardian---"Nigel Farage and Russell Brand are not entirely unalike: both offer entertaining and stupid solutions."

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2014/dec/12/brand-farage-pound-shop-enoch-entertaining-stupid
  • Options
    chestnut said:

I'm beginning to wonder if Labour might experience a disaster of such magnitude in Scotland that the Tories end up with more seats than them there.

• Options
    Toms said:

Anne McElvoy in today's Guardian---"Nigel Farage and Russell Brand are not entirely unalike: both offer entertaining and stupid solutions."

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2014/dec/12/brand-farage-pound-shop-enoch-entertaining-stupid

I'm aware of Brand's stupidity but have never found him entertaining. His success is baffling.
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    £ - so I haven't read the article - but interesting headline from the Sun:

WOBBLING Ed Miliband has given in party fury to agree to limited blocks on Scots MPs from deciding on English only laws.

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/politics/6178761/Ed-gives-in-to-MPs-on-English-only-laws.html
  • Options
    richardDoddrichardDodd Posts: 5,472
    This may have been discussed on a previous thread..apols if it has..
    What chance of Mili Snr making a comeback...where..and it would be bad timing given his connection to the Gitmo Torture report..It might cause Labour more problems than any other party
  • Options

#arc of austerity

At least it was entertaining to see SF and DUP on the same side of an argument! So far they’re united in “blaming” Cameron, too.
    For once I agree with the NI UKIP leader:

"The amateurs are exposed; they sit in the Northern Ireland Executive. A bunch of inept chancers caught out long before the chancellor's cuts."

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-northern-ireland-30449346
  • Options

What chance of Mili Snr making a comeback...where..and it would be bad timing given his connection to the Gitmo Torture report..It might cause Labour more problems than any other party

In fairness (not something I write often about a Labour politician) - his connection to CIA torture is no greater than Hague or May's - just trying to deflect some of the ordure from HMG - it happened under predecessor's watches - Cook & Blair.....
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,075

Toms said:

I'm aware of Brand's stupidity but have never found him entertaining. His success is baffling.
    People are herd sheep (including myself) on many matters. We try to find someone - or a group - who can air our nebulous views and biases in an articulate manner that avoids us having to think for ourselves. If they can do it in a way that sounds impressive, or is edgy, all the better. If that person becomes a media hit, then brilliant - it proves we were right all along, because someone who is feted in the media has to be right (except for those idiots we disagree with).

It avoids us having to think.

Brand fits this role well for certain people, generally on the left of politics.
  • Options
    As an aside, I was talking with a friend a few weeks ago about Brand. She said she believes inBrand. Not believes him, or agrees with him, but believes in him.
  • Options
    philiphphiliph Posts: 4,704

As an aside, I was talking with a friend a few weeks ago about Brand. She said she believes inBrand. Not believes him, or agrees with him, but believes in him.

Were she one of my friends I think I would advise her to seek help!
  • Options
    Paul_Mid_BedsPaul_Mid_Beds Posts: 1,409
    edited December 2014
    Funny how the Torygraph decide to cover half their paper in Nargleenoch stories one day after Brands Enoch insult of him on Question Time.Torygraph and Brand are unlikely bedfellows.

Again it will backfire. Enoch Powell was not a one dimensional character, he was one of the greatest political thinkers of the last century but was a lefties bogeyman. Has it not occured to them that this will do Fargle no harm at all and, again, increase his vote.

Powell could have become a lord but refused a life peerage, he would only accept a hereditary peerage as he could see that life peers were the path to corruption and evisceration of the second chamber, to the benefit of the government and the disbenefit of the people.

And of course it was the traitor Heath that sacked him from the shadow cabinet.
  • Options
    Good morning, everyone.

Mr. Jessop, your friend is quite mad, and has appalling taste.

Is she single?
  • Options
    EasterrossEasterross Posts: 1,915
    Morning all and firstly Herders if you happen to be logging in today, I hope Jenny continues to improve and you get her home in time for Christmas.

It does indeed look as though will be as interesting in 2015 as it was dull in 2010 at the GE. Assuming Jim Murphy wins today, it may work more in favour of the SNP than SLAB. Many of the Scots SLAB needs to attract back see Jim Murphy as almost a Tory, sitting as he does in what was the safest Tory seat, one of the richest areas in Scotland.

Scottish politics is becoming totally polarised, currently dominated by 2 women. If you are a Unionist, you were impressed by plain speaking Ruth Davidson the Tory leader. If you are a Nationalist you have seen Nicola Sturgeon as the strategist behind Salmond's persona for some years. The risk to SLAB is that Unionist voters in Scotland are drawn more to the real unionist party, the Scottish Tory Party. The LibDems appear to have all but evaporated.

Jim Murphy is a clever, erudite politician but with 5 months to a GE, if elected today he will be a leader without a seat in the body he has been elected to lead in and many of his constituents would be angry if he seeks re-election in May knowing he will stand down a year later to go to Holyrood.
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    Alex Salmond may be delivering more votes to Cameron.

The spectre that the egotistical loser of the Indyref vote might end up power-broking a SNP driven Westminster coalition with Ed Miliband's Labour will be enough to send many wanderers scuttling back to the Conservatives.

There are lesser evils and evils. And then there's Alex Salmond.
  • Options

Toms said:

People are herd sheep (including myself) on many matters. We try to find someone - or a group - who can air our nebulous views and biases in an articulate manner that avoids us having to think for ourselves. If they can do it in a way that sounds impressive, or is edgy, all the better. If that person becomes a media hit, then brilliant - it proves we were right all along, because someone who is feted in the media has to be right (except for those idiots we disagree with).

It avoids us having to think.

Brand fits this role well for certain people, generally on the left of politics.
    I'd like to believe that I follow Harry Truman's approach: "I'm from Missouri, show me".
  • Options

Good morning, everyone.

Is she single?

"... and has appalling taste."

Well, her taste in men has been rather dodgy in the past. Ahem.

And she is single (and rather attractive). Do you want a blind date? ;-)
  • Options
    philiphphiliph Posts: 4,704

Good morning, everyone.

Is she single?

"... and has appalling taste."

Well, her taste in men has been rather dodgy in the past. Ahem.

And she is single (and rather attractive). Do you want a blind date? ;-)
    Go for it MD, you need different views to have a buoyant, challenging and rewarding relationship.
  • Options
    F1: explanation of why Korea's on the calendar, but in name only:
    http://www1.skysports.com/f1/news/17722/9602933/bernie-ecclestone-explains-south-koreas-inclusion
  • Options
    edited December 2014

What the bloody hell does that mean? That she believes in a hypocritical millionaire Marxist egotist whose coke-fuelled babble has understandably earned him the #parklife tag?

Listening to Brand is like having to sit through the losing speech in a school debate.

p.s. but he has a big and well-used willy so perhaps that's why she believes in him?
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    edited December 2014
    Scott_P said:

It's bollocks

There are many people who think of themselves as Scottish first who would rather see Holyrood abolished. They won't be voting SNP
    Unless we have an exciting new definition of many no there aren't. The vast majority of people who want Holyrood abolished (and that is a tiny percentage of the electorate) consider themselves British first and vote Conservative.
  • Options
    Mr. Jessop, not sure that'd be fair on the lady [my weight has been declining recently for reasons that escape me. If it goes on much longer I may end up returning to my teenage 'escaped prisoner' look (at about 14 I was skinny enough to touch my spine through my stomach)].

Besides, not a fan of blind dates. And you haven't mentioned her views on Hannibal and Caesar yet.
  • Options
    MonksfieldMonksfield Posts: 2,237

chestnut said:

I'm beginning to wonder if Labour might experience a disaster of such magnitude in Scotland that the Tories end up with more seats than them there.

Hilarious! Reminds me of some no hoper team's football fanzine that was entitled "Waiting for the great leap forward"
  • Options
    Well done pulpie :

An honourable acceptance. New bets for next year: Hope you will accept one!
  • Options

Toms said:

My daughter had a very small role in one of Brand's films, the Greek thing I think it was. Before her scene with him Brand realised that they hadn't even spoken before and insisted on a cup of tea with her first, just to calm nerves etc.

My daughter said he was a perfect gentleman, me I think he is a twat.
  • Options

What the bloody hell does that mean? That she believes in a hypocritical millionaire Marxist egotist whose coke-fuelled babble has understandably earned him the #parklife tag?

Listening to Brand is like having to sit through the losing speech in a school debate.

p.s. but he has a big and well-used willy so perhaps that's why she believes in him?
    She's highly intelligent and very articulate, but very left. I think she's fed up with the direction Labour is taking, and wants the system to be shaken up a little. I can see why Brand's peculiar political mindset might appeal to her (and his 'looks' would help as well).

Just to cement matters: she is the most pro-EU person I know, and wants to move to France, partly because they have the right ideas. She's called anyone who wants out of the EU 'little Englanders' (including myself for being on the fence). She's an Anti-BOO'er. If she and (say) Richard Tyndall were to meet, there would be an explosion of pure political energy that would devastate half of Nottinghamshire.

Yet, as I say above, she is highly intelligent and very articulate. In fact, she has a far deeper knowledge of politics than myself, and can express that knowledge well. Much of what she says make sense, even if I disagree with it. I've learnt a great deal from talking to her. She would make a brilliant Labour politician of the old-Labour school.
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548

Mr. Jessop, not sure that'd be fair on the lady [my weight has been declining recently for reasons that escape me. If it goes on much longer I may end up returning to my teenage 'escaped prisoner' look (at about 14 I was skinny enough to touch my spine through my stomach)].

Besides, not a fan of blind dates. And you haven't mentioned her views on Hannibal and Caesar yet.

Very important to establish ground rules. The first rule of dating is Never date someone with incorrect views on the second Punic War.
  • Options
    Russell Brand is always very nice to me when I meet him.

I pointed out to him a very unusual allignment of planets on Hawaii. He was very grateful. If a little baffled. "Planets? Planets? I've never seen a planet before...."

Clearly only interested in the stars.

That's all.
  • Options
    Indigo said:

The SNP must be the only hard-left party proposing a Corp tax cut and stronger patent protections.

The SNP is three groupings - a small hard-core socialist grouping, a large main stream left of centre social democratic grouping and a populist, pro-business centre right grouping.

The only thing unifying them is Independence.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,369
    I'm no kind of expert on Scottish politics - canvassed in a couple of by-elections and have some Scottish relatives, that's it - but I wonder if the pundits aren't overestimating the ideological zeal of many voters. I'm sure Murphy - if he's the leader - won't convince many left-wing nationalist firebrands. But Mrs Smith who just wants a decent life in Dundee and hasn't felt that Scottish Labour was very convincing lately? Maybe.
  • Options
    Alistair said:

Indigo said:

The SNP must be the only hard-left party proposing a Corp tax cut and stronger patent protections.

The SNP is three groupings - a small hard-core socialist grouping, a large main stream left of centre social democratic grouping and a populist, pro-business centre right grouping.

The only thing unifying them is Independence.
    and an inability to do basic mathematics.
  • Options

I'm no kind of expert on Scottish politics - canvassed in a couple of by-elections and have some Scottish relatives, that's it - but I wonder if the pundits aren't overestimating the ideological zeal of many voters. I'm sure Murphy - if he's the leader - won't convince many left-wing nationalist firebrands. But Mrs Smith who just wants a decent life in Dundee and hasn't felt that Scottish Labour was very convincing lately? Maybe.

Mrs Smith hasn't stopped voting Labour, it is the Lab voters who voted Yes and were told they were stupid traitorous morons that have left. As it was Murphy who was saying that they were stupid traitorous morons he's probably not going to draw them back.
  • Options

Nick, the great unknown is turnout. There is a huge segment of adult Scots who did not bother to vote in Westminster elections but who voted in the Referendum. If their turnout proves to be assymmetric, -the newly enthused YES voters finding their way to the polling stations - then SLAB is sunk. Personally, I can't see a Miliband-led Labour Party getting those who voted NO to care in anything like the numbers needed to match the Votes that YESNP has stolen from the Cannae Be Arsed Party.
  • Options
    What time is the new Labour leader in Scotland to be confirmed?
  • Options
    FrankBoothFrankBooth Posts: 9,062

But isn't it the whole New labour thing? A lot of people on the left are pretty despondent about politics. First Thatcher, then New Labour and now the coalition. It was that more than anything which I suspect the SNP exploited during the referendum. I know there are some who say it was George Galloway who was most convincing arguing for the Union.

• Options
    SquareRootSquareRoot Posts: 7,095
    its easy for Brand to be populist.. best let him speak and then challenge him. He wasnt too happy when challenged about his rent,

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/wires/pa/article-2858838/Brand-legal-threat-rent-row.html
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    Alistair said:

it was Murphy who was saying that they were stupid traitorous morons
    Got a link to that?

IIRC it was Murphy who was denounced as a stupid traitorous moron - among other things.....

'Traitor! Scum! Paedophile!' The sinister abuse received by Labour MP Jim Murphy on the 'No' campaign trail

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2763715/Traitor-Scum-Paedophile-The-sinister-abuse-received-Labour-MP-Jim-Murphy-No-campaign-trail.html
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

It's bollocks

Scott, my position was a little more subtle. It is not that SNP = Scotland. It is that in delivering the best implementation of the Pledge, SNP = the protector of Scotland's interests against Westminster.
  • Options
    edited December 2014

What time is the new Labour leader in Scotland to be confirmed?

Around 10 according to PoliticsHome......and whoever it is, it will be a 'Victory for the SNP!'

• Options
    SocratesSocrates Posts: 10,322
    FPT

Writ large, it's a bit like the irregularity that some areas have town and parish councils and some don't. There's no logic to it (in my patch half do and half don't, with no particular pattern), but basically if an area really wants one it can have it. Obviously the Scottish Parliament is much more powerful, but it's a similar operating principle - you can run more of your own affairs if you really want the extra layer.

But opinion polls DO suggest the English want the extra layer: majorities of 50-70% want an English parliament. So why are Labour not offering the English the ability to run more of their own affairs?
  • Options
    Cheers, Miss Vance.

Mr. Socrates, I missed that comment by Mr. Palmer. Good work correcting this Labour bullshit that Scottish and Welsh people want more politicians but the English don't (also, if all parts of the UK had devolved parliaments the Westminster Parliament would become much diminished. it wouldn't just remain as is).
  • Options
    Socrates said:

FPT

Writ large, it's a bit like the irregularity that some areas have town and parish councils and some don't. There's no logic to it (in my patch half do and half don't, with no particular pattern), but basically if an area really wants one it can have it. Obviously the Scottish Parliament is much more powerful, but it's a similar operating principle - you can run more of your own affairs if you really want the extra layer.

But opinion polls DO suggest the English want the extra layer: majorities of 50-70% want an English parliament. So why are Labour not offering the English the ability to run more of their own affairs?
    Turkeys don't vote for Christmas.
  • Options

its easy for Brand to be populist.. best let him speak and then challenge him. He wasnt too happy when challenged about his rent,

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/wires/pa/article-2858838/Brand-legal-threat-rent-row.html

I am immune to Brand's incoherent charm, but he channels the same anger as much of the SNP and UKIP seem to feel. A dislike of austerity, a sense of entitlement and a need for someone to blame.

To quote Malcolm Muggeridge:

"One of the peculiar sins of the twentieth century which we've developed to a very high level is the sin of credulity. It has been said that when human beings stop believing in God they believe in nothing. The truth is much worse: they believe in anything"

In the political context it is that people have stopped believing in politics rather than God of course!

• Options
    edited December 2014

She's highly intelligent and very articulate, but very left. I think she's fed up with the direction Labour is taking, and wants the system to be shaken up a little. I can see why Brand's peculiar political mindset might appeal to her (and his 'looks' would help as well).

Just to cement matters: she is the most pro-EU person I know, and wants to move to France, partly because they have the right ideas. She's called anyone who wants out of the EU 'little Englanders' (including myself for being on the fence). She's an Anti-BOO'er. If she and (say) Richard Tyndall were to meet, there would be an explosion of pure political energy that would devastate half of Nottinghamshire.

Yet, as I say above, she is highly intelligent and very articulate. In fact, she has a far deeper knowledge of politics than myself, and can express that knowledge well. Much of what she says make sense, even if I disagree with it. I've learnt a great deal from talking to her. She would make a brilliant Labour politician of the old-Labour school.
    Hopefully, she will move to France. I suppose there is one advantage to the EU: we can get rid of these treacherous leftists that despise the UK's traditional mores and their fellow countrymen.
  • Options
    Patrick said:

Socrates said:

FPT

Turkeys don't vote for Christmas.
    Hmmm but is that true ?

Our Mps have happily voted more Europe year after year, effectively giving up on the right to govern and making themselves less relevant. Chuck in the devolved Parliaments and one should ask why do we have 650 of them and not half that number ?

One a pure productivity basis we should have about 300.
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    Socrates said:

Hopefully, she will move to France. I suppose there is one advantage to the EU: we can get rid of these treacherous leftists that despise the UK's traditional mores and their fellow countrymen.
    There is a strong leftist and Internationalist strand of politics that is very traditional in Britain.

I am one of many who will not let Farage define what Britishness means. George Galloway is as British as the Queen.
  • Options
    Socrates said:

Personally I'd rather have ten people like her in the country than one person like you.

Anyway, what are these 'traditional mores' ?
  • Options

She's highly intelligent and very articulate, but very left […] she is the most pro-EU person I know, and wants to move to France … She would make a brilliant Labour politician of the old-Labour school..
    Very left and 'the most' pro-EU are not easy bedfellows. You want proper old school Labour? Try her with this quote from Michael Foot:

'We can disagree about whether the EU has been a socialist or capitalist influence, but it is undeniable that it wields that influence without asking the people.'

Unless she's an Anglophobic Stalinist (which she may be?) it's difficult to equate true socialism with supporting the EU?
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 41,002
    If I ask nicely can we not have a mindnumbingly boring debate about what defines Britishness?
  • Options
    saddenedsaddened Posts: 2,245
    If all the people who said they would choose yes in the referendum actually turn out for Westminster elections, Labour are in trouble. Because historically large numbers of Labour'ssupport, are support in name only and fail to make the huge sacrifice of bothering their arse enough to walk quarter of a mile to the polling station.
  • Options
    isam said:

If I ask nicely can we not have a mindnumbingly boring debate about what defines Britishness?

Denying that pro EU people are British is rather like the Yes campaigners querying the Scottishness of the BT campaign.

If all true British patriots support the kippers, then 85% of us are having our nationality stolen.
  • Options

isam said:

Denying that pro EU people are British is rather like the Yes campaigners querying the Scottishness of the BT campaign.

If all true British patriots support the kippers, then 85% of us are having our nationality stolen.
    That may well be

Why are you telling me?
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,369
    isam said:

Seconded!

Anyway it's reading the Guardian and having muesli for breakfast. Anything else and you're a Little Englander. :-)

• Options
    saddened said:

If all the people who said they would choose yes in the referendum actually turn out for Westminster elections, Labour are in trouble. Because historically large numbers of Labour'ssupport, are support in name only and fail to make the huge sacrifice of bothering their arse enough to walk quarter of a mile to the polling station.

Turnout was only 21% in a Scottish local by-election on Thursday, so getting all the Yes voters to the polls a second time may be problematic.
  • Options

saddened said:

Turnout was only 21% in a Scottish local by-election on Thursday, so getting all the Yes voters to the polls a second time may be problematic.
    The word local in your reply may indicate why it was so low. The people who voted yes and didn't get it will be motivated to vote SNP, to get the best out of the runners up prize of still being attached to the Westminster teat and having more influence.
  • Options
    F1: Rosberg's odds are slowly declining. Now 4.3 on Betfair.

I'd still advocate backing him and Hamilton (1.9). Hard for me to see anyone else beating them. Downforce won't disappear, I think, Renault may close the gap on horsepower but the Mercedes engine's will also make progress, and Williams, whilst superfast in a straight line, have a hell of a lot of downforce to make up.

Not only that, it's hard to imagine two drivers who will be trying as hard right out of the blocks as Hamilton and Rosberg.
  • Options
    Socrates said:

Whilst trying very hard to respect Isam's request that we avoid a full scale debate on Britishness, I would like to say that wanting people to leave the country simply because they hold a different opinion on something does strike me as thoroughly at odds with English/British values.
  • Options

She's highly intelligent and very articulate, but very left […] she is the most pro-EU person I know, and wants to move to France … She would make a brilliant Labour politician of the old-Labour school..
    Very left and 'the most' pro-EU are not easy bedfellows. You want proper old school Labour? Try her with this quote from Michael Foot:

'We can disagree about whether the EU has been a socialist or capitalist influence, but it is undeniable that it wields that influence without asking the people.'

Unless she's an Anglophobic Stalinist (which she may be?) it's difficult to equate true socialism with supporting the EU?
    True, but that removes idealism. It's easy to say that the EU is imperfect as it stands, but if everyone got behind it, it could be reformed into something 'better'. She is, like many political nerds, an idealist. Her vision of the EU is one I cannot agree with, or even scarcely comprehend.
  • Options
    Mr. Jessop, ha.

The EU is not so much imperfect as abhorrent and unworkable. As we watch the eurozone slowly sink into the mire I expect those who are so very pro-EU will blame the British for 'not engaging' or some such lunacy.
  • Options
    isam said:

isam said:

That may well be

Why are you telling me?
    Just standing up for British Enlightenment values!

On a more important note: Good odds on Leicester City today, can get 500/1 on us beating Manchester's other team 5:3. It is almost worth a quid...

Leicester are playing better, but still without a win since September, against a formidable Man City side.

On the plus side, it is a glorious day in the Midlands and our Goalkeeper has the best beard in the Premier League. So should be an entertaining day.
  • Options

isam said:

isam said:

That may well be

Why are you telling me?

On a more important note: Good odds on Leicester City today, can get 500/1 on us beating Manchester's other team 5:3. It is almost worth a quid...

Leicester are playing better, but still without a win since September, against a formidable Man City side.

On the plus side, it is a glorious day in the Midlands and our Goalkeeper has the best beard in the Premier League. So should be an entertaining day.
    Just back Ulloa FGS every week is my system!
  • Options
    edited December 2014

She sounds kinda neat, and PROVOCATIVE.
  • Options

Socrates said:

Whilst trying very hard to respect Isam's request that we avoid a full scale debate on Britishness, I would like to say that wanting people to leave the country simply because they hold a different opinion on something does strike me as thoroughly at odds with English/British values.
    It was a joke.
  • Options
    calumcalum Posts: 3,046
    The YouGov poll showing Yes ahead may well have been accurate, as Lord Ashcroft constantly reminds us opinion polls are only snapshots in time and views constantly change.

The general consensus seems to be that SLAB’s support level is down to 25% and that things surely can’t get much worse. Being a life-long labour supporter now supporting the SNP and living in Central Scotland, my sense is that things are about to get much worse for SLAB before they get better. I think the core 25% is going to be further reduced by the following factors:

- SNP continuing to monopolise the centre left.
    – Nicola Sturgeon will attract the proportion of the female vote, which has been turned off the SNP by a dislike of Alex Salmond.
    – UKIP and the Greens will make further inroads, as in the rest of the UK.
    –The SSP will also take some support away.
    - A bit of the LibDem resurgence once they are free from the shackles of the coalition.
    – SLAB will struggle to get their vote out.

Taking account all the above, we could be looking at SLAB falling into the 15-20% area, which would be extinction point. The anointing of Jim Murphy as the potential saviour of SLAB, shows just how out of touch with Scottish politics the Labour party, political commentators and mainstream media have become.

In terms of tactical voting, I could envisage Conservatives voting SNP to add to SLAB’s woes and Greens voting SNP. I don’t envisage there being a “Unionist” alliance to try and combat the SNP, as the mainstream parties are all going to be at each other’s throats nationally, so any alliance would have no credibility.
  • Options

Personally I'd rather have ten people like her in the country than one person like you.

What a charming guy you are, Josias. I'm sorry I'm not enough of a bien pensant elitist for you.
  • Options
    Indigo said:

Interesting approach from DMil trying to relaunch his political career, apparently the 55% of the population currently wanting to leave the EU shouldn't vote for him.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/labour/11291335/David-Miliband-hint-at-return-to-British-politics.html

Mr Miliband also used the interview to issue a scathing critique on those who want Britain to leave the EU, calling the idea "unbelievably stupid".
    The King over the Water dips his toe in. Interesting.
  • Options
    In other news, have we reached peak Zoella?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-30438225

Please, please, may we have reached peak Zoella ...
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,917

Clearly Scottish Labour will get a kicking next May. It's been coming. There's no reason to vote for them. The new leader has a hell of a job on his hands. If it's Murphy, he needs to get into Holyrood asap. Longer term, anything that knocks the lazy complacency out of Labour UK-wide is a good thing. Once Ed is consigned to history and a new leader confronts a landscape in which Scotland and the North of England can no longer be taken for granted, it may - just - force him/her into engagement with the real world where the answer to every question is not NHS.

Or, in Scotland, alternately "SNP baaaaad!"
    Scott_P said:

It's bollocks

'Many' is not the case, in proportion to the total population: they are a very small minority indeed. Even the proportion who want the status quo is pretty small - usually varying around 20%-30% if I recall rightly, over the last few years..

• Options
    Socrates said:

What a charming guy you are, Josias. I'm sorry I'm not enough of a bien pensant elitist for you.
    Did he recommend you leave the country?
  • Options

It's funny that you attacked me for a joke about Josias's mate, but you were silent when she (and a great many people on here) calls eurosceptics "Little Englanders".

*Cough* double standards *cough*.
  • Options
    HurstLlamaHurstLlama Posts: 9,098
    @Morris_Dancer

Wotcha, Mr. D, may we you take it that you are off on the razzle today and will be breaking your advent fast?

For the ignorant amongst you who may be wondering why Morris Dancer should be on the pop today, it is of course the feast of St Lucy of Syracuse, patron saint of writers (and the blind, salesmen, epidemics and sore throats apparently).
  • Options
    saddened said:

Socrates said:

Did he recommend you leave the country?
    No. Neither did I.
This discussion has been closed.