Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » LAB running just 3% behind SNP in Scotland according to the

SystemSystem Posts: 11,706
edited December 2014 in General

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » LAB running just 3% behind SNP in Scotland according to the Populus November aggregate

Following my post yesterday about the woeful lack of polling data from what could be the most critical area of all at GE15, Scotland, a PBer contacted me to point out that Populus has resumed its excellent practice of issuing a full monthly data analysis from eight or nine surveys carried out in the previous month.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,990
    Oh, and I believe the colours need to be tweaked!
  • Options
    Quiet here this morning.
  • Options
    JohnLoonyJohnLoony Posts: 1,790
    The map on the previous thread reminded me of a similar map (or swingometer, or whatever you want to call it) to show the effect of uniform swings from the 1987 general election (in preparation for the 1992 general election).

I must have done it in 1988 because it refers to the Liberal Democrats as the "SLD".
    The x-axis shows the Conservative vote ranging from 26% to 44,
    the y-axis shows the Labour vote ranging from 20% to 48%,
    and the Lib Dems range from 50% in the bottom-left to 4% in the top-right.
    It assumes a total of 96% for the three main parties.

With hindsight, the voting percentages from 1992 would have meant about 355 Conservative MPs instead of 336.

http://oi59.tinypic.com/opp6df.jpg
  • Options
    not_on_firenot_on_fire Posts: 4,341
    If you had told Labour 18 months ago that they would be "just 3% behind" the SNP at this stage they would have been horrified.
  • Options
    Duly noted: here at PB it is fine to publish sub-samples showing the SNP doing relatively poorly but 3 proper full-sample, correctly weighted Scottish polls can be totally ignored. Yesterday Mike claimed that only 3 Scottish polls have been published since September. There have actually been 6: and none of them make comfortable reading for Mike.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,403
    It is a while since I have seen any poll in Scotland showing the Lib Dems near 9%. In fact I would have said 3-4% is more common. The Ipsos Mori poll at the end of October showed them at 6%, level with the Scottish Greens, and that was a relatively good result. In the Yougov at the same time they were at 4%, behind UKIP.

As Mike pointed out yesterday the lack of quality polling in Scotland is a problem and I am not sure this aggregation is an adequate solution. We had similar problems in the referendum and they have the same reasons: a media that is largely hanging on by its fingernails and who simply cannot afford to fund polling in the way that our national media do.

When we had the deadlock of 2010 in Scotland this really didn't matter very much but Scotland will play a major part in determining who is the largest party after the next election and whether that party can form a stable government.

• Options
    FinancierFinancier Posts: 3,916
    More Problems for Labour Wales

The Welsh government would be about £1bn worse off had it been responsible for raising some of its budget through taxes over the last four years, the shadow Welsh secretary said.

Owen Smith said a shrinking tax base due to lots of low-wage jobs should "start alarm bells" about proposals to devolve tax-varying powers.

The UK government's Wales Bill would hand over powers for some taxes.

They would include partial control of income tax after a referendum.

Mr Smith's comments come after First Minister Carwyn Jones said he would accept even more powers, matching those on offer to Scotland - but only if Wales got a better funding settlement from Westminster.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-politics-30369795

Schools could soon be facing severe financial hardship which could affect standards because of cuts to their budgets, head teachers warn.

A typical secondary school in Wales will be driven into deficits of more than £1m, the Association of School and College Leaders (ASCL) said.......

Last week, Education Minister Huw Lewis told a conference of head teachers that the education budget had seen a cut of 10%.

He also apologised for the Welsh government's decision to claw back £4.4m from this year's education budget in order to fund the NHS in Wales.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-30366819
  • Options
    philiphphiliph Posts: 4,704
    edited December 2014
    Financier said:

More Problems for Labour Wales

The Welsh government would be about £1bn worse off had it been responsible for raising some of its budget through taxes over the last four years, the shadow Welsh secretary said.

Owen Smith said a shrinking tax base due to lots of low-wage jobs should "start alarm bells" about proposals to devolve tax-varying powers.

The UK government's Wales Bill would hand over powers for some taxes.

They would include partial control of income tax after a referendum.

Mr Smith's comments come after First Minister Carwyn Jones said he would accept even more powers, matching those on offer to Scotland - but only if Wales got a better funding settlement from Westminster.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-politics-30369795

Schools could soon be facing severe financial hardship which could affect standards because of cuts to their budgets, head teachers warn.

A typical secondary school in Wales will be driven into deficits of more than £1m, the Association of School and College Leaders (ASCL) said.......

Last week, Education Minister Huw Lewis told a conference of head teachers that the education budget had seen a cut of 10%.

He also apologised for the Welsh government's decision to claw back £4.4m from this year's education budget in order to fund the NHS in Wales.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-30366819

Maybe they could save money by cutting back on welsh language costs at schools and in communities, or would that cause riots?
  • Options
    anotherDaveanotherDave Posts: 6,746
    edited December 2014
    DavidL said:

As Mike pointed out yesterday the lack of quality polling in Scotland is a problem and I am not sure this aggregation is an adequate solution. We had similar problems in the referendum and they have the same reasons: a media that is largely hanging on by its fingernails and who simply cannot afford to fund polling in the way that our national media do.

There were 3 Scotland-only polls in October, and 2 in November. That's not so bad surely?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Opinion_polling_for_the_2015_United_Kingdom_general_election#Scotland

Wales-only, or Northern Ireland-only polls seem to be the rarity.
  • Options
    Late up this morning, bloooming open door immigration meant I had to wait my turn for the bathroom....
  • Options

Late up this morning, bloooming open door immigration meant I had to wait my turn for the bathroom....

Are you not head of your house and so deems who uses the bathroom first?
  • Options
    If we use OGH's methodology but using the YouGov 'daily' polls, (21 published in November and 23 in October), the median figures for Scotland were:

November: SNP 41%; Labour: 25%
    October: SNP 41%; Labour 27%
  • Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787

I'm off shortly down the M1 - any delays are clearly these bloody immigrants fault and as for gay immigrants flooding our roads .... and women breastfeeding in the passenger seat ....

Tsk ....

On an entirely unrelated matter Sky News reporting a shortage of nuts this Christmas .... frankly I'm amazed given the continuing strong polling of Ukip ?!?

• Options
    edited December 2014
    New analysis article from the British Election Study, based on polling from September/October.

1. Big SNP rise.
    2. LDs doing worse in their strongest seats.

"The most significant factor affecting party performance at the constituency level is prior Liberal Democrat strength. The following graph shows how party performance varies with the 2010 Liberal Democrat constituency vote share across England and Wales. If classic uniform swing assumptions held all the lines in the graph would be flat. They very roughly are for the Conservatives and UKIP, but the Liberal Democrats are clearly losing most in the seats where they started strongest and losing least where they started weakest."

3. UKIP not such a disaster for the Conservatives

"Focusing on the seats where the Conservatives and Labour finished first and second (in either order) in England and Wales, there is little association between UKIP performance and the difference between the Conservative and Labour share in 2010. Despite taking more votes from the Tories than Labour overall, there is little sign that UKIP are damaging Tory chances more in the key Con-Lab or Lab-Con marginals than elsewhere. "

http://www.britishelectionstudy.com/bes-resources/what-the-bes-suggests-about-constituency-variation-in-party-performance-by-stephen-fisher-university-of-oxford/

(Also discussed on yesterday's Westminster Hour programme, 35m in)
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b006s624
  • Options
    Good morning, everyone.

Must say I'm not entirely convinced by this. If the Scottish sub-set is 1,293 and overall sample size is just over 14,000, that suggests 14 polls which have an average of fewer than 100 Scottish respondents.

It's also just one pollster, so there's the potential for it to be too kind (or, indeed, harsh) to the relevant parties.
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,568
    JackW said:

I'm off shortly down the M1 - any delays are clearly these bloody immigrants fault and as for gay immigrants flooding our roads .... and women breastfeeding in the passenger seat ....

Tsk ....

On an entirely unrelated matter Sky News reporting a shortage of nuts this Christmas .... frankly I'm amazed given the continuing strong polling of Ukip ?!?

It's offset by a distinct lack of nuts amongst the Tory party's remaining supporters.
  • Options
    Bobajob_Bobajob_ Posts: 195
    JackW said:

Tsk ....

I was unable to get on the tube this morning because it was ful of gays having novelty 'weddings'
  • Options
    Scrapheap_as_wasScrapheap_as_was Posts: 10,059
    edited December 2014
    Financier said:

Are you not head of your house and so deems who uses the bathroom first?
    No - the goddam EU Bureaucrats dictate in which order it can be used.... and as usual it's johnny foreigner who is put ahead of my rights - we need Brexit so I can put my shower-room usage in order.
  • Options
    UKIP Economics 101 - screw everyone else.

Patrick O'Flynn‏@oflynnmep·29m29 minutes ago
    @isaby the good news is we will save so much on HS2, aid, EU, Barnett etc that we can cut deficit and cut taxes too. Tell your Tory mates!
  • Options
  • Options
    Mr. Scrapheap, aren't we facing a capacity crunch on the railways if we don't have a new line?

And, if we're having a new line, it seems daft not to make it faster rather than slower.

Cutting aid would be very popular (it's a case, not unlike the green levy [avoided by hypocritical moron Ed Davey] where politicians fall over one another to concur but most people want something else).

Still, UKIP's at the old Lib Dem stage of development, where the moon on a stick can be promised because there's sod all chance of having to actually deliver.
  • Options
    After last week's Autumn Statement, can I point out to Jack W and other senior members of PB that one important matter accidentally slipped to this weeks news agenda rather than lose it in the news last week re stamp duty.

That is the launch of NS&I Pensioner Bonds and the interest rates being set this week.... let me be clear.

This is in no way a pre-election bribe to the most vote-likely part of the electorate.

No siree.

• Options
    Scrapheap_as_wasScrapheap_as_was Posts: 10,059
    edited December 2014

Mr. Scrapheap, aren't we facing a capacity crunch on the railways if we don't have a new line?

And, if we're having a new line, it seems daft not to make it faster rather than slower.

Cutting aid would be very popular (it's a case, not unlike the green levy [avoided by hypocritical moron Ed Davey] where politicians fall over one another to concur but most people want something else).

Still, UKIP's at the old Lib Dem stage of development, where the moon on a stick can be promised because there's sod all chance of having to actually deliver.

Bless 'em though... they mean well don't they? No dog whistle stuff there, none what-so-ever.
  • Options
    Our resident kippers are late this morning - stuck on the M4 too no doubt.
  • Options
    NinoinozNinoinoz Posts: 1,312
    JackW said:

Tsk ....

One gay immigrant has been busy defending himself on Twitter:

https://mobile.twitter.com/PeterTatchell?p=s

Possibly might have something to do with this letter he wrote back in the day:

https://mobile.twitter.com/1jamiefoster/status/541535243329863680/photo/1
  • Options
    MarkSeniorMarkSenior Posts: 4,699
    Ipsos Mori Scottish Westminster VI poll November 2009 was

SNP 34 Lab 32 Con 15 LD 12

It sent Stuart Dickson into raptures on here at the time . Turned out accurate - not .

A later poll in Feb 2010 by the same company had

Lab 34 SNP 32 Con 17 LD 12

• Options
    JPJ2JPJ2 Posts: 378
    Any minute now Mr Smithson will be telling us that Salmond may not win Gordon at GE2015 and that the Lib Dems have a fighting chance there.because of the "No" vote.

Oh, wait a minute, ludicrously he has already made that laughable case which will be proved completely wrong :-)
  • Options

New analysis article from the British Election Study, based on polling from September/October.

1. Big SNP rise.
    2. LDs doing worse in their strongest seats.

"The most significant factor affecting party performance at the constituency level is prior Liberal Democrat strength. The following graph shows how party performance varies with the 2010 Liberal Democrat constituency vote share across England and Wales. If classic uniform swing assumptions held all the lines in the graph would be flat. They very roughly are for the Conservatives and UKIP, but the Liberal Democrats are clearly losing most in the seats where they started strongest and losing least where they started weakest."

3. UKIP not such a disaster for the Conservatives

"Focusing on the seats where the Conservatives and Labour finished first and second (in either order) in England and Wales, there is little association between UKIP performance and the difference between the Conservative and Labour share in 2010. Despite taking more votes from the Tories than Labour overall, there is little sign that UKIP are damaging Tory chances more in the key Con-Lab or Lab-Con marginals than elsewhere. "

http://www.britishelectionstudy.com/bes-resources/what-the-bes-suggests-about-constituency-variation-in-party-performance-by-stephen-fisher-university-of-oxford/

(Also discussed on yesterday's Westminster Hour programme, 35m in)
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b006s624

Thanks for sharing this. The last line makes interesting reading:

"Finally, despite a hung parliament being the most likely outcome and a fairer reflection of the fragmented distribution of votes, the two main parties are still on course to win 90% of British seats from a combined share of just two-thirds of the vote."

• Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,983
    So where can Labour can ground, if they're going backwards in Scotland, and going nowhere in Wales and the South East?

• Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,904
    The betting markets seem to be at odds with the recent Scottish polling. Someone said yesterday that the SNP and the Tories were on course to split the Edinburgh seats between them. Looking at the individual seats market Labour are hot favourites in all of them
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,369
    Sean_F said:

So where can Labour can ground, if they're going backwards in Scotland, and going nowhere in Wales and the South East?

London, the Midlands and the North (which is not the Tory-free zone that casual assumptions suggest).

On Scotland, the Scottish leadership result is Saturday. Murphy's camp is fairly confident, partly as Findlay's campaign is a bit amateurish (tweets to Dear Name erc.). Findlay's camp is quoting a phone canvass showing members pretty even. I'm a believer in looking at canvass CHANGES as a good indicator, but canvassing itself is always biased in favour of the canvasser's view - a mixture of canvasser optimism and interviewee politeness.

I think that for better or worse we need to see the impact of that result before coming to a view on what's happening. But in Gordon constituency, I wonder if the LibDems might not benefit from substantial tactical voting from the 39% who voted Labour or Tory (aside from the 36% who voted LibDem). The price for Salmond winning (1-7, someone said??) looks way too short.

On our perennial favourite, BBC bias and funding, today's Red Box poll suggests most people think the BBC unbiased and are satisfied with the licence system:

http://times-deck.s3-eu-west-1.amazonaws.com/projects/8efb100a295c0c690931222ff4467bb8.html

• Options
    BenMBenM Posts: 1,795
    It becomes clearer that there is no swingback to the Tories (it doesn't "feel" as though there is any love for the Tories out there so why would they pick up any more votes than the polls are presently showing?) and it looks ever more likely Ed is going to be our next PM albeit as part of some sort of coalition.
  • Options
    Two things on the EU VAT insanity:
    I'm less confident Smashwords (more a distributor than retailer) will cover me. So, my books may disappear from there as well as every store they distribute to (pretty much everyone except Amazon). This pisses me off rather a lot, despite the low sales (certainly compared to Amazon). If I have free books at any point I may put them up there but not distribute them anywhere else (some stores have a minimum $0.99 price, so even if you mark something as free you might end up with a sale).

This may have an electoral impact. HMRC estimate 34,000 businesses [from 'proper' small firms to individuals just making a little bit of cash as a second job or from a hobby, such as selling knitwear patterns] will be affected. Newspapers reckon 350,000 could be affected.

HMRC is not being clear enough, and the notice given to firms that aren't large was just a couple of months. The law's indefensibly badly written, and we will see cases of people selling knitwear patterns and the like ending up having to register for VAT in Slovenia, or Denmark, based on a single sale (or they could join HMRC's VATMOSS scheme. Which was reported in October as not being ready and which means registering for VAT in the UK, and many of those who have tried to do it early have been rejected because they're under the £81k threshold (but the vatmess idiocy has a £0 threshold).

The law kicks in on 1 January 2015. Whilst EU designed (I use the term loosely), the Government is vulnerable due to the role HMRC will play.
  • Options
    Two other snippets of interest from the BES study:
    "There is very little difference between England and Wales in the pattern of change, with the exception of Labour who appear to have made little or no advance in Wales but were up on average 5 points in English constituencies. Importantly for the party this means that GB vote intention polls are understating the increase in Labour support in England and so their potential to take seats from the Conservatives."
    and
    "[because of UKIP] the Conservatives are doing worse where they started strongest and particularly in seats they are defending".

In view of our past discussions, it'll be ironical if Labour wins the election by doing particularly well in England. Will EV4EL fans remain as keen if it would mainly benefit Labour?
  • Options
    Nick Palmer writes:

"But in Gordon constituency, I wonder if the LibDems might not benefit from substantial tactical voting from the 39% who voted Labour or Tory (aside from the 36% who voted LibDem)"

The desire to be represented by such a high profile figure as Salmond, particularly when voting for him does not have the immediate consequence of triggering independence or another referendum, will result in either a comfortable or very substantial Salmond win.

If I were the bookies, I would stop taking bets on Salmond winning in Gordon :-)
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,947

"There is very little difference between England and Wales in the pattern of change, with the exception of Labour who appear to have made little or no advance in Wales but were up on average 5 points in English constituencies. Importantly for the party this means that GB vote intention polls are understating the increase in Labour support in England and so their potential to take seats from the Conservatives."
    and
    "[because of UKIP] the Conservatives are doing worse where they started strongest and particularly in seats they are defending".

In view of our past discussions, it'll be ironical if Labour wins the election by doing particularly well in England. Will EV4EL fans remain as keen if it would mainly benefit Labour?

An English majority for Labour would also certainly have a bearing on their willingness to invite the SNP into a coalition, at least from the SNP's current de facto EVEL policy. Other issues between them though.

• Options
    JohnLoonyJohnLoony Posts: 1,790
    The judge keeps referring to Mr Qwabe as "Mr Kwabe"
  • Options
    CD13CD13 Posts: 6,351
    NickP,

"most people think the BBC unbiased"

I also think the BBC is unbiased in the sense that it actively tries to be. But their problem is more a representative one in that their 'group think' starts from who they are. I'm sure the Queen tries to be unbiased in her statements despite what blabbermouth Cameron lets slip.

On some views which they feel they ought to promulgate, their heart isn't in it, and it would be the same with any group chosen as they are.

In essence, they do the best they can to be unbiased, and sometimes they succeed.
  • Options
    Roger said:

The betting markets seem to be at odds with the recent Scottish polling. Someone said yesterday that the SNP and the Tories were on course to split the Edinburgh seats between them. Looking at the individual seats market Labour are hot favourites in all of them

Not in Edinburgh West, but Crockart looks like toast any which way.

Your pal Ian Murray had a wafer thin majority last time, but he may sook up a fair few votes from the LD collapse. Murray's reputation will of course be mightily enhanced by the courageous manner in which he dealt with a Yes sticker being placed on his constituency office.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,073
    JPJ2 said:

Nick Palmer writes:

"But in Gordon constituency, I wonder if the LibDems might not benefit from substantial tactical voting from the 39% who voted Labour or Tory (aside from the 36% who voted LibDem)"

The desire to be represented by such a high profile figure as Salmond, particularly when voting for him does not have the immediate consequence of triggering independence or another referendum, will result in either a comfortable or very substantial Salmond win.

If I were the bookies, I would stop taking bets on Salmond winning in Gordon :-)

Salmond is 1-7: do you want to put your money where your mouth is and offer 6-1 the field?
  • Options
    So so childish.... I'm above such things natch.

Dan Hodges‏@DPJHodges·19m19 minutes ago London, England
    Chaos on the trains this morning. Wrong kind of immigrants on the tracks, apparently.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

JPJ2 said:

Nick Palmer writes:

Salmond is 1-7: do you want to put your money where your mouth is and offer 6-1 the field?
    Yes, I'll offer £10 to lay him - you pay me £60 if he loses, I pay you £10 if he wins. First taker gets it (no multiple bets).
    CD13 said:

NickP,

"most people think the BBC unbiased"

I also think the BBC is unbiased in the sense that it actively tries to be. But their problem is more a representative one in that their 'group think' starts from who they are. I'm sure the Queen tries to be unbiased in her statements despite what blabbermouth Cameron lets slip.

On some views which they feel they ought to promulgate, their heart isn't in it, and it would be the same with any group chosen as they are.

In essence, they do the best they can to be unbiased, and sometimes they succeed.

I think that's a fair comment, though I'd add that they have the usual media bias to being negative and confrontational to everyone. But my main point, as usual, was not what I think but what the public thinks. There's no great demand to force the BBC to be different.

• Options
    OmniumOmnium Posts: 9,800
    Carnyx said:

and

An English majority for Labour would also certainly have a bearing on their willingness to invite the SNP into a coalition, at least from the SNP's current de facto EVEL policy. Other issues between them though.

If the SNP have a majority of Scottish seats I'm not sure that it would make sense for them to enter into any coalition. Perhaps some sort of agreement where they agree abstain a lot, but not coalition. If they are in a minority in Scotland then a full blown coalition may make sense (Supporting the wishes of the Scottish people).

• Options
    NinoinozNinoinoz Posts: 1,312

I think that's a fair comment, though I'd add that they have the usual media bias to being negative and confrontational to everyone. But my main point, as usual, was not what I think but what the public thinks. There's no great demand to force the BBC to be different.

I take it you've not spoken to victims of BBC child rapists?

I think you are rather missing the elephant in the room.
  • Options
    I will offer 6/1 the field to either RCS or Nick Palmer (or both) at the level of funds suggested by Nick.
  • Options
    Brent Crude goes under $68
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,002

and

Yes.
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,947

Roger said:

Not in Edinburgh West, but Crockart looks like toast any which way.

Your pal Ian Murray had a wafer thin majority last time, but he may sook up a fair few votes from the LD collapse. Murray's reputation will of course be mightily enhanced by the courageous manner in which he dealt with a Yes sticker being placed on his constituency office.
    But not by the way in which bog standard local ned gang graffiti were blamed on the Yes campaign, as I recall.

• Options
    Mr. Palmer, yes, and I'd still want an English Parliament. Despite what idiots like Billy Bragg claim and fools like Ed Miliband seem to think, the desire for a Parliament (or votes as a first step) isn't about helping or harming one political party or another, it's about the need for England to have the same as Scotland, for the English to have equal democratic standing with the Scots.
  • Options
    @PopulusPolls: Latest Populus VI: Lab 36 (+1), Con 33 (=), LD 8 (-1), UKIP 15 (+1), Oth 8 (-1). Tables here: http://t.co/0g1Obe6dyb
  • Options
    SocratesSocrates Posts: 10,322

So so childish.... I'm above such things natch.

Dan Hodges‏@DPJHodges·19m19 minutes ago London, England
    Chaos on the trains this morning. Wrong kind of immigrants on the tracks, apparently.

That's been the first joke on this topic that's actually funny.
  • Options

@PopulusPolls: Latest Populus VI: Lab 36 (+1), Con 33 (=), LD 8 (-1), UKIP 15 (+1), Oth 8 (-1). Tables here: http://t.co/0g1Obe6dyb

Ooooooooooh That''s a bigun.
  • Options
    That is bloody appalling for Plaid. Makes the recent SNP/PC combined figures in GB polls even more stunning as regards Scotland.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,983

It's strange that Populus has had weeks of narrow Labour leads without putting the Conservatives ahead

• Options
    Pulpstar said:

Ooooooooooh That''s a bigun.
    Should be MegaPollingMonday today with four polls today, including the gold standard, the ICM phone poll.
  • Options

That is bloody appalling for Plaid. Makes the recent SNP/PC combined figures in GB polls even more stunning as regards Scotland.
    Wales didn't have the Indy-ref.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

It's strange that Populus has had weeks of narrow Labour leads without putting the Conservatives ahead

We saw something similar with YouGov last year and this year.

We saw Lab's lead around 2/3 and the occasional tie but no Tory lead.

Then boom.
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    edited December 2014
    On topic: We have rather patchy and inconsistent data for Scotland, so these Populus figures are a useful addition to the set. They look quite plausible, but the key point to note is that, even if they show the SNP doing considerably less well than the Scotland-only polls or the YouGov aggregated samples, they still show the SNP doing astonishingly well compared with 2010: going from 6 to 28 seats is a hell of a surge in anyone's book.

In addition, take a look at AndyJS's very helpful spreadsheet linked to at the bottom of Mike's piece. The Populus Lab->SNP swing from 2010 is 12.5%. There is a cluster of further Labour seats which would fall to the SNP at just a smidgen above this swing, meaning that the probability distribution (if you take the Populus figures as your central forecast) includes a reasonable chance of perhaps a further half-dozen SNP gains from Labour. Of course if you take the Ipso-MORI or Survation polls as your central forecast than the whole probability distribution shifts even more dramatically in the SNP's favour.

Of course, as ever we should also bear in mind the political landscape as well as the raw polling. That comes down to a judgement call: the Scottish polls might be miles out from what eventually happens, as they have been in the past. FWIW my judgement on this is that Labour won't recover very much this time in Scotland; they are divided, their strategy has been chaotic, and neither Jim Murphy not Neil Findlay looks in a good position to reunite the party and inculcate a new sense of purpose in the limited time available. On the other hand the SNP are playing their victim card with aplomb.

In betting terms, what this tells me is that the risk/reward ratio of a Buy of the SNP on SPIN at 22 looks pretty favourable. There doesn't seem too much risk on the downside, and there's a sporting chance of a chunky profit on the upside. As always with spread bets, though, this is a potentially risky bet and one you should only consider if you know what you're doing.
  • Options
    ArtistArtist Posts: 1,883
    There seems to be only three seats likely to change in Wales next year, Cardiff Central and Cardiff North near certain Labour gains, and Arfon where Plaid Cymru is probably slight favourite to hold from Labour.
  • Options
    I'm an atehist but the church is absolutely right to excoriate the Tories about the rise in foodbanks in Tory Britain.

They are the direct result of Tory policy and ideological blinkeredness.
  • Options
    This is a very good article on how illiberal segments of the left have now become - apparently men can't discuss abortion.

http://www.spectator.co.uk/features/9376232/free-speech-is-so-last-century-todays-students-want-the-right-to-be-comfortable/

• Options
    Mr. M, really?

Foodbanks started under Labour during the boom. They've risen significantly every single year since. Supply has never matched demand. Until it does, and we then see rises and falls due to changes in the population's prosperity, they cannot be used as a political stick against either side.

Well, not legitimately.
  • Options
    Whilst we all have a seasonal chortle at the gay immigrant breastfeeding mothers being chained to the cooker and other Faragisms, it's worth mentioning that voters are quite happy to have a laugh with politicians but it get's more serious for any individual or party if a consensus of the electorate, including their own supporters, start to laugh at them.

Lembit Opik being a case in point.
  • Options
    As compared with the 2010 general election, Con -3, Lab =, LD -15, PC =, UKIP +17.

Putting that together with the suggestion in the BES that the Lib Dems are losing support more in the seats where they are strongest, and the 7/4 on Plaid Cymru in Ceredigion may be worth thinking about. Not that I've made the bet.
  • Options

Plaid do better in the Welsh Assembly question, 19%.
  • Options
    JackW said:

Whilst we all have a seasonal chortle at the gay immigrant breastfeeding mothers being chained to the cooker and other Faragisms, it's worth mentioning that voters are quite happy to have a laugh with politicians but it get's more serious for any individual or party if a consensus of the electorate, including their own supporters, start to laugh at them.

Without Lembit, who dropped 12.5% in 2010, the LD incumbency performance would have been even better.

I do wish Jack that you of all people could take a more charitable view of Mr. Farage.

• Options
    BenM said:

I'm an atehist but the church is absolutely right to excoriate the Tories about the rise in foodbanks in Tory Britain.

If one was considering making a cheap political point we would note that food banks were created during the last Labour government.

However I view foodbanks as an excellent extension of the charitable sector allowing the poor to retain a larger proportion of their income. Further we need to extend their operation especially within the context of supermarkets throwing away vast quantities of perishable foods.

So a gold star for Labour being on watch when food banks were initiated.

• Options

Mr. M, really?

Foodbanks started under Labour during the boom. They've risen significantly every single year since. Supply has never matched demand. Until it does, and we then see rises and falls due to changes in the population's prosperity, they cannot be used as a political stick against either side.

Well, not legitimately.

Their use exploded under the Tories as a direct result of economically foolish austerity. No use trying to pretend otherwise.

One of the reasons why the Tory 2015 vote ceiling is roughly 34%.
  • Options
    BenM said:

This has nothing to do with 'cuts'.

"Food banks are not soup kitchens, nor a sign of a society gone bad. In fact, their emergence ought to be seen as a sign of how strong Britain’s social fabric is. The real scandal, according to those who run food banks, is that that they haven’t been around for longer.

They exist as a sticking plaster, usually to help families who have been allocated welfare but are waiting for the bureaucracy to process the payments. They are an emergency support in towns and cities. Without them, families would go hungry for days.

Their existence is not a sign of poverty, but an indication that a welfare state with six million people on its books can get things wrong."

http://www.spectator.co.uk/features/8946991/why-its-wrong-to-be-ashamed-of-our-food-banks/
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    edited December 2014
    BenM said:

Their use exploded under the Tories as a direct result of economically foolish austerity.

How do you know?

And how do you account for the fact that their use in France, with its massive state largesse, is much higher than in the UK?
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,228
    O/T: The state spends, what, ca. £700 billion every year. And this morning I read this - http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/crime/11276719/First-police-force-faces-going-out-of-business.html.

And our very own TwistedFireStopper has spoken of the difficulties his force faces.

Every single political party must surely agree that the primary function of the state is to keep the peace - to keep order and security at home - and the emergency services: firemen, policemen etc are key to that.

So even allowing for special pleading why in heaven's name is this sort of nonsense going on? The idea that we should ring fence certain parts of government - or promise to spend so much on desirable matters such as foreign aid - at the expense of essential matters such as security is infuriating.

The state should do what it has to do well and, frankly, stop doing the marginal and the nice to have. Whereas now we have the position where it is trying to do much, doing most of it badly and stuff that is essential is getting done badly or not at all.
  • Options
    BenM said:

Mr. M, really?

Well, not legitimately.

Their use exploded under the Tories as a direct result of economically foolish austerity. No use trying to pretend otherwise.

One of the reasons why the Tory 2015 vote ceiling is roughly 34%.
    One of the people interviewed on the Today programme first used a food bank in 2008. Why were people going hungry then - before "Coalition austerity" started?

• Options
    Judge throws out Dewani case and frees the accused.
  • Options
    Just last week I mentioned how a perfectly balanced and reasonable comment by Farage would be twisted round the left-wing echo chamber to the point where oh-so-witty PB posters would be making jokes about how Farage actually opposes breast-feeding, but that they'd combine it with other distortions so they couldn't all be fact checked at once.

And today we have JackW doing exactly that. It's pretty pathetic.
  • Options
    antifrank said:

As compared with the 2010 general election, Con -3, Lab =, LD -15, PC =, UKIP +17.

Putting that together with the suggestion in the BES that the Lib Dems are losing support more in the seats where they are strongest, and the 7/4 on Plaid Cymru in Ceredigion may be worth thinking about. Not that I've made the bet.
    Plaid under Leanne Wood is well to the Left of Labour and almost Republican. Ceredigion is a very conservative county, and Mark Williams is well regarded as a constituency MP. Plaid are the largest party on the Council (outside of a mix of \independents) but still seem to be incapable of running anything.
  • Options
    Mr. M, I said their use has increased significantly every year. That includes under the current government. If Labour wins, do you expect use to decline?

Miss Cyclefree, spot on, as usual. Overseas aid should be slashed. We've got a deficit of about £90bn to deal with.
  • Options
    Have to smile at the Tories attempting to defend the explosion in foodbank use.

Under Labour foodbank use was minuscule, they are now commonplace.

As for comparisons to France - we are not France. Most of the UK electorate has no stomach for growing use of foodbanks. They are politically toxic for the Tories.
  • Options
    FrankBoothFrankBooth Posts: 9,062
    Well, well. Paddy Power have shifted the odds on the Lib Dems holding Sheffield Hallam from 1/6 to 3/10. Still very much odds on but not quite a certainty!
  • Options

JackW said:

Without Lembit, who dropped 12.5% in 2010, the LD incumbency performance would have been even better.

I do wish Jack that you of all people could take a more charitable view of Mr. Farage.

I am duly chastised and especially within the season of goodwill wish Mr Farage a most happy festive time ....

I wonder whether Nigel will be having turkey breast for Christmas lunch .... duly covered up, naturally.

• Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    BenM said:

As for comparisons to France - we are not France. Most of the UK electorate has no stomach for growing use of foodbanks. They are politically toxic for the Tories.

Remember back in the day they had another free food source for the working class ?

They were called allotments. Don't seem so popular now.

• Options
    Socrates said:

Just last week I mentioned how a perfectly balanced and reasonable comment by Farage would be twisted round the left-wing echo chamber to the point where oh-so-witty PB posters would be making jokes about how Farage actually opposes breast-feeding, but that they'd combine it with other distortions so they couldn't all be fact checked at once.

Farage is utterly toxic to a large % of the population - he is a cap on Kipper support at large.

• Options
    Financier said:

antifrank said:

Plaid under Leanne Wood is well to the Left of Labour and almost Republican. Ceredigion is a very conservative county, and Mark Williams is well regarded as a constituency MP. Plaid are the largest party on the Council (outside of a mix of \independents) but still seem to be incapable of running anything.
    Plaid did hold the seat from 1992 to 2005 and have held the constituency assembly member since the inception of the Welsh Assembly.

If the Lib Dems really are losing three quarters of their vote nationally, even the most assiduous constituency MP is going to struggle.
  • Options
    Dewani murder case thrown out

Wow didn't see that coming.
  • Options
    BenM said:

Indeed so. But you haven't answered my question.
    BenM said:

As for comparisons to France - we are not France.

Indeed so. But you haven't answered my question.
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

BenM said:

Remember back in the day they had another free food source for the working class ?

Many allotments are now often the reserve of the Greens and similar middle classes who claim to have 'discovered' healthy eating.
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

Socrates said:

Farage is utterly toxic to a large % of the population - he is a cap on Kipper support at large.

Given that you're one of the nastier posters on here, I don't think we need to hear any lessons from you on toxicity.
  • Options
    Socrates said:

Some might consider that having a little fun at Ukip's expense is entirely within the British tradition of poking fun at politicians.

Is Ukip-land to be a laughter free zone - now that would be "pretty pathetic".

• Options
    BenM said:

I do not defend them (not that I am a Tory). I have raised contributions for them.

But you have not answered the question as to why - if everything was so wonderful under Labour - there was any need for them at all. And as you should know Labour forbade social services from referring anyone to them - which may account, in part, for why their use was less than now.

I refer you to my own post below. Why is it when the state spends such an enormous amount that essential matters are not being provided? If there are people going hungy in this country such that they rely on charity we should be spending our money first on these people not sending it abroad.

And the comparison with France is an apt one - there the state is very much larger, it has not adopted Coalition policies and yet it faces a similar issue. So that would suggest to someone who looks at the issue open-mindedly that the causes and the system failures behind their growth may not be as simple as you are trying to make out.
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    JackW said:

Socrates said:

Some might consider that having a little fun at Ukip's expense is entirely within the British tradition of poking fun at politicians.

Is Ukip-land to be a laughter free zone - now that would be "pretty pathetic".

Except further down the thread I pointed out that Dan Hodges' tweet was funny. I'm not criticising poking fun at UKIP or any other party. I'm criticising poor attempts at jokes based on things that aren't true. You, and a bunch of other posters, make the same terrible joke every week. You just add the latest manufactured outrage to the list of things that UKIP are supposedly guilty of. It's just a transparent attempt to add such smears into the popular consciousness.
  • Options
    Socrates said:

TGOHF said:

Socrates said:

Given that you're one of the nastier posters on here, I don't think we need to hear any lessons from you on toxicity.
    Polling evidence is clear

http://www1.politicalbetting.com/index.php/archives/2014/03/12/icm-poll-ukip-the-least-liked-and-most-disliked-party/

Shooting the messenger doesn't change that.
  • Options
    Tory Britain = Hungry Britain

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-30323682

Note the Trussell Trust chart tracking the Tory driven rise in foodbank use.
  • Options
    antifrank said:

Financier said:

antifrank said:

Plaid did hold the seat from 1992 to 2005 and have held the constituency assembly member since the inception of the Welsh Assembly.

If the Lib Dems really are losing three quarters of their vote nationally, even the most assiduous constituency MP is going to struggle.
    Not necessarily in rural Wales. LD are likely to hold on to Brecon as well. The local constituency AM is elected as she is from farming stock, but is only visible when she can get her face in the local paper.
  • Options
    AnorakAnorak Posts: 6,621
    TGOHF said:

BenM said:

Apposite: http://www.thedailymash.co.uk/news/society/supermarkets-are-food-banks-if-you-have-agile-fingers-2014120893602

• Options
    @JPJ2 - I've sent you an email confirming the bet

Thanks
  • Options
    Socrates said:

This is a very good article on how illiberal segments of the left have now become - apparently men can't discuss abortion.

http://www.spectator.co.uk/features/9376232/free-speech-is-so-last-century-todays-students-want-the-right-to-be-comfortable/

What happens if one discusses abortion?
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

Socrates said:

TGOHF said:

Socrates said:

http://www1.politicalbetting.com/index.php/archives/2014/03/12/icm-poll-ukip-the-least-liked-and-most-disliked-party/

The polling evidence is that UKIP are the third most popular party in the UK.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Opinion_polling_for_the_2015_United_Kingdom_general_election#Graphical_summary
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    BenM said:

Tory Britain = Hungry Britain

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-30323682

Note the Trussell Trust chart tracking the Tory driven rise in foodbank use.

If you provide goods for free, demand will grow. It's not rocket science. And it's not evidence for malnourishment. Especially when one of the three people listed looks overweight.
    TGOHF said:

Socrates said:

TGOHF said:

Socrates said:

The polling evidence that matters is that UKIP will be taking an unprecedented share of the vote next year. You can scream and shout and throw your toys out of the pram with all your lies, smears and intellectual dishonesty, but UKIP are going from success to success and you can't change that.
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,904
    edited December 2014
    Ben

"Have to smile at the Tories attempting to defend the explosion in foodbank use."

I couldn't agree with you more. It has the same toxic value for the Tories as the homeless did for them in the 80's when London became the begging capital of Europe and it became known as cardboard box city.

My issue though is with Ed Milliband. At last he is faced with an open goal. He has the opportunity to lead lead a campaign and show what Labour values really are but instead he chooses to join Farage in kicking immigrants.

I'm beginning to think he has the political instincts of a bluebottle
  • Options
    BenM said:

Here's a little conundrum to chew over.

We have an explosion of foodbanks and yet the greatest rate of obesity is within the lowest decile of society.

Discuss.

This discussion has been closed.