Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The extraordinary impact of Lord Ashcroft’s two stage votin

SystemSystem Posts: 11,705
edited December 2014 in General

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The extraordinary impact of Lord Ashcroft’s two stage voting question – keeping LD hopes alive

One of the remarkable features of the past four and a half of coalition is that the party that appears to have suffered so much, the Lib Dems, have not panicked and appear to just shrug off one miserable national poll rating after another.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    First ..... again!
  • Options

First ..... again!

Go back to bed Peter as I will try to do yet again in a few minutes.

• Options
    IndigoIndigo Posts: 9,966
    Alright for some.. just after midday here, waiting for the typhoon to run through, might get a little damp and breezy for a few hours later.
  • Options
    Working perfectly - what's all the fuss about?
  • Options
    peter_from_putneypeter_from_putney Posts: 6,875
    edited December 2014
    Virtually all the bookies' line bet markets for LibDem GE seats are focused on them winning +/- 27.5 seats, just a tad lower than Sporting's current 29-31 seats spread offer.
  • Options
    IMHO more wishful thinking from OGH, no doub't another dig at UKIP will be along shortly from that direction. Its getting a bit predictable.
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    What is the usual assumption about "Don't Know" voters in polls. Are they people who are generally disinterested in politics or possibly turned off from politics and so might easily not bother to vote, are they genuine wavers, or are they actually people who are fairly certain about their preference but are shy about telling the pollster ?

As a sometime waverer I would say personally there was never a time when I was "Don't know", in a much as I always knew who I planned to vote for, it might just have changed from time to time, and the polling question usually says "if there was an election tomorrow", not "when the election is held on May 8th"

Looking at the last ICM, 67% of the DKs voted for someone in 2010 (CON: 16% LAB:21% LD:30%), is the high level of DK for former LD voters an indication of disenchantment with their party? Or does it suggest that the LDs attract a high level of "uncommited" voters who in effect drift into the polling booth and select the LDs because they are the "Mateus Rose" party (not red and not white, not sweet and not dry, not still and not sparkling).

Most polls seem to discount DKs when calculating VI, since this segment seems to represent about a quarter of voters at the moment, they have the potential to completely swamp the microscopic differences between parties, and it might be useful to more fully consider what sort of voter these people really are. Does any of the pollster assign a DK to their 2010 vote with or without some sort of weighting ?
  • Options
    FinancierFinancier Posts: 3,916
    YouGov

LD 2010VI lose 20% to Green
    Scottish sub-sample: SNP 50% of VI
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633

IMHO more wishful thinking from OGH, no doub't another dig at UKIP will be along shortly from that direction. Its getting a bit predictable.

It is never difficult to distinguish between a Kipper with a grievance and a ray of sunshine.

Huppert not yet odds on for Cambridge - free money I tells ya.
  • Options
    audreyanneaudreyanne Posts: 1,376
    Mike has mentioned the YouGov national but not the figures. Anyone know them?
  • Options

Wishful thinking backed up by solid data.

The effect may well be still more marked when individual candidates are explicitly named.
  • Options
    http://cdn.yougov.com/cumulus_uploads/document/lq7n3or10x/YG-Archive-Pol-Sun-results-041214.pdf
    Con 31, Lab 32, LD 7, UKIP 15 Green 8

• Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,402
    There is no doubt that Mike is identifying a real and substantial effect, which is why a party on 7% is going to have any seats at all, but is the true comparator in these seats not how the Lib Dems scored the last time?

In the third column the Lib Dems are scoring 36% but what did they score in these seats at the last election? Even with this level of improvement in these particular seats I would expect there to be a swing against the Lib Dems sufficient to create some casualties.

In Scotland, a traditional source of strength, the situation is even worse and I still do not believe that the Lib Dems will hold onto any seats south of Inverness. If I am right that will be 7 or 8 losses (depending on Danny and maybe Thurso) there alone.

The Cleggasm saw the Lib Dems pick up a lot of useless votes, mainly from disillusioned Labour supporters, and lose seats. With a more focussed vote they will greatly exceed their UNS score but they are still going to take a significant hit.
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,903
    A little humiliating even for someone with the hide of Nick Clegg to get just 7%. If it gets him 30 or more seats I wonder if he'll keep up the Lib Dem tradition of complaining about the unfairness of the electoral system on behalf of UKIP and the Greens?
  • Options
    SquareRootSquareRoot Posts: 7,095
    edited December 2014
    The Mail and Telegraph are full of stuff about Lefty BBC "asst political editor" journo Norman Smith and his biased reporting of the budget. Frankly one thinks that's par for the course. He was involved in a row at no 10 last yr methinks.
  • Options

The Mail and Telegraph are full of stuff about Lefty BBC "asst political editor" journo Norman Smith and his biased reporting of the budget. Frankly one thinks that's par for the course. He was involved in a row at no 10 last yr methinks.

I listened to Smith yesterday morning - his reporting did strike me as a trifle apocalyptic - and can understand why Osborne was ratty in the 8.10 slot. Labour not having held his feet to the fire, I can understand his irritation!
  • Options
    FinancierFinancier Posts: 3,916
    edited December 2014
    If OGH's premis is true, then is it valid for all LD seats and also for all other seats in general (i.e the incumbecy effect of the sitting Party)? Somehow with a 4/5 party system, I think not. Why should LD seats be peculiar?

Or it it just valid for dying Parties?
  • Options

I listened to Smith yesterday morning - his reporting did strike me as a trifle apocalyptic - and can understand why Osborne was ratty in the 8.10 slot. Labour not having held his feet to the fire, I can understand his irritation!
    expect more of the same.. the license fee deal runs out next yr...
  • Options
    At the local elections in this Parliament the Lib Dems have been losing between 1/3 and 1/2 of all the seats they previously held. I think the MPs will not do much better, possibly closer to the 1/3 level. That will bring them down from 57 to somewhere between 28 and 38. Its a broad range but probably about right. My own guess would be low 30s, a serious blow but well short of a wipe out.
  • Options
    Financier said:

If OGH's premis is true, then is it valid for all LD seats and also for all other seats in general (i.e the incumbecy effect of the sitting Party)? Somehow with a 4/5 party system, I think not. Why should LD seats be peculiar?

It does seem to be a differential effect. I looked at this in detail a couple of weeks ago:

http://newstonoone.blogspot.co.uk/2014/11/reading-entrails-few-polling.html
  • Options
    chestnutchestnut Posts: 7,341
    Ashcroft has polled every English and Welsh seat that the Lib Dems held in 2010 where they had a lead of <20 points.

Simon Hughes is the only survivor in Labour facing seats (by 1%).

The Tories take Berwick, Solihull and Portsmouth S plus a raft of SW seats.

Half a dozen or so Lib dem "holds" are on margins of 5 or less.

• Options
    edited December 2014
    OT. I'm getting an ad against plain packaging on cigarettes on the top of this thread. Reminds me of the horrific footage of that man mountain being squeezed to death by police in New York yesterday

A terrible moraity tale for the sort of society America has always been. He was 42 years old with two children and reduced to selling single cigarettes on the Street. Why five policemen decided to fell this man is the sreal tory and tells a lot about how they treat their underclass.
  • Options
    anotherDaveanotherDave Posts: 6,746
    antifrank said:

The effect may well be still more marked when individual candidates are explicitly named.
    I think the data is ambiguous.

While there are polling examples of a change in behaviour in a 2 stage question, the 2014 local election results did not show a special effect for LD held parliamentary seats.

"...on average the drop in the Lib-Dem vote in wards located in the constituency of an incumbent Lib-Dem MP was, at 13 points, much the same as elsewhere."

http://www.ippr.org/juncture/messages-from-the-voters-the-2014-local-and-european-elections
  • Options
    VerulamiusVerulamius Posts: 1,438
    edited December 2014
    Another point to note is that 7% is more valuable when L and C are both getting 31, rather than when they are at high 30s. It is all relative.
  • Options
    The truth is that all those people out there who have a life are just not that interested but an optimist for democracy might think the reason there is little sign of a bounce from the Autumn statement is that the reality is breaking through the clever gimmicks that got the initial headlines.

No doubt the BBC, for example, will want to refer to the IFS report as supporting their own analysis (using a generous word): http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/autumn-statement/11273458/Colossal-cuts-needed-after-General-Election-warns-IFS.html

The restraint (overall spending has still risen) in spending in this Parliament has not closed half the deficit and the economy is clearly not capable of generating the level of taxes once assumed. The assumptions in Osborne's figures would indeed change the nature and role of the State in a fundamental way if fully implemented. Basically our State would become a Health and Pension provider with a few incidental add ons.

Is this what people want or are they willing to pay more in taxes to maintain the sort of welfare state we have been used to? This is the real question at the next election but as usual Labour have nothing to say on the subject. The Lib Dems, interestingly, do and I expect Danny Alexander to have a bit of a star role in the next campaign as the media desperately search for some intelligent debate.
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    Indigo said:

Does any of the pollster assign a DK to their 2010 vote with or without some sort of weighting ?

ICM certainly do that. The recent round of Ashcroft marginals did too, UKIP were winning South Thanet until "don't know" voters were reallocated to their 2010 choice.
  • Options
    MillsyMillsy Posts: 900
    edited December 2014

Another point to note is that 7% is more valuable when L and C are both getting 31, rather than when they are at high 30s. It is all relative.

Not necessarily when Labour and Tories can pick up dozens of seats on say 30% of the vote with the electorate split 5 or more ways. Just as Lib Dems don't need to panic getting 7% nationally, the Tories will be ok if they get more votes and seats than Labour
  • Options
    edited December 2014

Indigo said:

Does any of the pollster assign a DK to their 2010 vote with or without some sort of weighting ?

ICM certainly do that. The recent round of Ashcroft marginals did too, UKIP were winning South Thanet until "don't know" voters were reallocated to their 2010 choice.
    Interesting. I wonder what the reason for doing that is. It would make sense if the DK is in reality an uncommitted voter, although it might previously have favoured the LDs as the receptacle of NOTA/"Nice Party" votes, but might be less realistic after they have spent 5 years in government.

If on the other hand they are actually a pissed off "former" voter for the 2010 party which is wavering toward another party, for example right-wing Tories and UKIP, putting them back to their 2010 VI seems unrealistic, similarly is DK is actually code for "cant actually be bothered to vote this year".

That fact that the polls reveal we actually have no idea how almost a third of the electorate plan to vote makes quibbling over a couple of percent here or there seem a little futile ;-)
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    antifrank said:

Although the real world validity of Ashcroft's polling is as yet "unproven", so you need to be careful about over-reliance
  • Options
    antifrank said:

Although the real world validity of Ashcroft's polling is as yet "unproven", so you need to be careful about over-reliance
  • Options
    audreyanneaudreyanne Posts: 1,376

http://cdn.yougov.com/cumulus_uploads/document/lq7n3or10x/YG-Archive-Pol-Sun-results-041214.pdf
    Con 31, Lab 32, LD 7, UKIP 15 Green 8

Ta.

I wonder if the two words 'Lord' and 'Ashcroft' will still be mentioned on here after May 7th.
  • Options
    Square Root

"The Mail and Telegraph are full of stuff about Lefty BBC "asst political editor" journo Norman Smith and his biased reporting of the budget. Frankly one thinks that's par for the course. He was involved in a row at no 10 last yr methinks."

Back to the ugly days of Thatcher. Bully the news channels...if you're not with us you're against us. It's as much a reason why there is still such a residual loathing of the Tory Party and their lackeys in the right wing press as there always was.

It's also a reason why there will always be a large tactical vote against the Tories whoever they are facing. Right wing bullies have never been appealing in the UK
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    http://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/Leicestershire-County-Council-leader-selected/story-25144054-detail/story.html

Another traitorous pig-dog; this one who had to resign following an expenses scandal.

What price the new politics?
  • Options
    Roger said:

Square Root

"The Mail and Telegraph are full of stuff about Lefty BBC "asst political editor" journo Norman Smith and his biased reporting of the budget. Frankly one thinks that's par for the course. He was involved in a row at no 10 last yr methinks."

Back to the ugly days of Thatcher. Bully the news channels...if you're not with us you're against us. It's as much a reason why there is still such a residual loathing of the Tory Party and their lackeys in the right wing press as there always was.

It's also a reason why there will always be a large tactical vote against the Tories whoever they are facing. Right wing bullies have never been appealing in the UK

What utter bollocks Roger. So the Governing party is just expected to suck it up when there is biased reporting.. and when you talk of bullies let us not forget Brown and his cohorts and the lies they tried to spread about David Cameron and George Osborne just before the GE.. sickening nasty, and not forgotten either...
  • Options
    Millsy said:

the Tories will be ok if they get more votes and seats than Labour
    Insightful comment. Thanks for that.
  • Options

Roger said:

Square Root

What utter bollocks Roger. So the Governing party is just expected to suck it up when there is biased reporting.. and when you talk of bullies let us not forget Brown and his cohorts and the lies they tried to spread about David Cameron and George Osborne just before the GE.. sickening nasty, and not forgotten either...
    And don't forget Campbell's vendetta against the BBC after the Gilligam reports
  • Options

Roger said:

Square Root

If rightwingers are so unpopular in the UK as Roger suggests I must have imagined Thatcher/Major winning four elections in a row. Not to mention Major getting the highest number of votes cast for a party in any election.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,144

http://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/Leicestershire-County-Council-leader-selected/story-25144054-detail/story.html

Another traitorous pig-dog; this one who had to resign following an expenses scandal.

What price the new politics?

I think he has finally found his spiritual home in UKIP. Amongst the troughers....

• Options
    EasterrossEasterross Posts: 1,915
    Morning all and once more OGH cherry picks. There have been 3 Ashcroft LibDem polls, one in each of June, Sep and November. The cumulative effect is that of the 31 LibDem seats surveyed, the LibDems hold 14, the Tories take 10-12 and Labour takes 5. So if holding 14 out of 31 seats is good news, well done the LibDems and roll on those 2 minibuses into which all their MPs will fit by 9th May.
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,291
    @SeanF "“Jeremy, Jeremy….woof! woof! Bang!..Rex Barker and the Ricochets or Doc Cox, alias Ivor Biggun." Not sure that punk band is entirely accurate.

I don't think that that single made Doc Cox a millionaire.
  • Options
    I might add that since those Ashcoft polls didn't include the 11 Scottish LibDem seats, that will be another 5-8 losses as realistically all but Ross and Orkney fall to someone else.
  • Options
    Good morning, everyone.

Mr. L, I agree, it would be most useful to see what the polling was for the 2010 election.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,002

I might add that since those Ashcoft polls didn't include the 11 Scottish LibDem seats, that will be another 5-8 losses as realistically all but Ross and Orkney fall to someone else.

Caithness, Sutherland is the most interesting SNP-LD marginal imo, I've hedged my bets on this one.
  • Options
    F1: VW conducting study to see whether an F1 entry would be worthwhile:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/formula1/30336569

The group includes Audi, which was rumoured to be considering an entry into F1 in a few years, with Ross Brawn as team principal.
  • Options
    SimonStClareSimonStClare Posts: 7,976
    edited December 2014
    Charles said:

Roger said:

Square Root

And don't forget Campbell's vendetta against the BBC after the Gilligam reports
    When it comes to the ‘ugly days of media bullying’, Alastair Campbell’s and Gordon Brown's midnight rants at newspaper editors who did not toe the Labour party line were legendary.

Another inconvenient fact that Roger likes to ignore when judging others moral rectitude.
  • Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787
    Pulpstar said:

Caithness, Sutherland is the most interesting SNP-LD marginal imo, I've hedged my bets on this one.
    Traitorous pig dogs that vote against "Our Viscount" should be deported to South Thule.

• Options
    edited December 2014
    Before anyone opens this link, guess which Newspaper the BBC chooses to focus on... and its the only one pictured..

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/blogs-the-papers-30340558
  • Options

F1: VW conducting study to see whether an F1 entry would be worthwhile:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/formula1/30336569

The group includes Audi, which was rumoured to be considering an entry into F1 in a few years, with Ross Brawn as team principal.

VW should resurrect Bentley into the grand prix scene with a return of the "Bentley Boys".

• Options
    GadflyGadfly Posts: 1,191

Before anyone opens this link, guess which Newspaper the BBC chooses to focus on... and its the only one too.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/blogs-the-papers-30340558

The BBC do seem to confuse the fact that they speak 'to' us, with the notion that they speak 'for' us. I pay my licence fee out of a legal requirement, not to provide an electoral mandate.
  • Options
    Mr. W, unlikely. The F1 team, if it happened, would be based in Germany, so I'd guess VW or Audi the likeliest names for the team.
  • Options
    SpeedySpeedy Posts: 12,100
    According to the Ashcroft polls the LD are on course for 28 seats, they are doing a few percentages better in their seats than the average but not enough to keep most of their seats.
  • Options

Mr. W, unlikely. The F1 team, if it happened, would be based in Germany, so I'd guess VW or Audi the likeliest names for the team.

Did we win two world wars to allow the Hun to run their own F1 teams ?!?

Tsk ....

• Options
    *cough*, Mr. W, Mercedes just won both titles.
  • Options
    Speedy said:

According to the Ashcroft polls the LD are on course for 28 seats, they are doing a few percentages better in their seats than the average but not enough to keep most of their seats.

We need to remind ourselves that the Ashcroft polls provide a "nowcast" of seats whereas a more appropriate measure for the parties is my ARSE which provides an unsurpassed tool and immensely respected measure of the results in May 2015.

Indeed why bother with a general election at all .... apart of course with providing OGH with a facility for topping up his wine cellar and subscription to the Belgravia Hair Center.

• Options
    edited December 2014

*cough*, Mr. W, Mercedes just won both titles.

You make my case.

Mercedes Benz should be a wholly owned subsidiary of Alvis - the three pointed star as part of the red triangle !!

• Options

Morning all and once more OGH cherry picks. There have been 3 Ashcroft LibDem polls, one in each of June, Sep and November. The cumulative effect is that of the 31 LibDem seats surveyed, the LibDems hold 14, the Tories take 10-12 and Labour takes 5. So if holding 14 out of 31 seats is good news, well done the LibDems and roll on those 2 minibuses into which all their MPs will fit by 9th May.

Used to be a taxi. How many Fiat 500s for UKIP?
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Quite right. I live here and frankly haven't a clue what will happen to our seat. Personally I would like John Thurso to survive because he is the nearest thing I have had to a Tory MP since Hamish Gray lost Ross and Cromarty to Charles Kennedy in 1983. Labour assumed it was going to take back the seat it held until Lord MacLennan defected to the SDP. Rob Gibson of the YESNP has a whopping 7000+ majority in the Holyrood seat. I think the SNPmust be favourites but John Thurso could just hold on if we see an Inverness 1983 result, the hope for most of Scotland's LibDems.
  • Options

Perhaps Farage, Carswell and Reckless might opt for a motor cycle and side car.

• Options

Pulpstar said:

Quite right. I live here and frankly haven't a clue what will happen to our seat. Personally I would like John Thurso to survive because he is the nearest thing I have had to a Tory MP since Hamish Gray lost Ross and Cromarty to Charles Kennedy in 1983. Labour assumed it was going to take back the seat it held until Lord MacLennan defected to the SDP. Rob Gibson of the YESNP has a whopping 7000+ majority in the Holyrood seat. I think the SNPmust be favourites but John Thurso could just hold on if we see an Inverness 1983 result, the hope for most of Scotland's LibDems.
    I hope to read constituency reports on PB of you campaigning for the peerless bearded peer.

Huzzah for "Our Viscount"

• Options
    Bobajob_Bobajob_ Posts: 195
    DavidL said:

The truth is that all those people out there who have a life are just not that interested but an optimist for democracy might think the reason there is little sign of a bounce from the Autumn statement is that the reality is breaking through the clever gimmicks that got the initial headlines.

No doubt the BBC, for example, will want to refer to the IFS report as supporting their own analysis (using a generous word): http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/autumn-statement/11273458/Colossal-cuts-needed-after-General-Election-warns-IFS.html

The restraint (overall spending has still risen) in spending in this Parliament has not closed half the deficit and the economy is clearly not capable of generating the level of taxes once assumed. The assumptions in Osborne's figures would indeed change the nature and role of the State in a fundamental way if fully implemented. Basically our State would become a Health and Pension provider with a few incidental add ons.

Is this what people want or are they willing to pay more in taxes to maintain the sort of welfare state we have been used to? This is the real question at the next election but as usual Labour have nothing to say on the subject. The Lib Dems, interestingly, do and I expect Danny Alexander to have a bit of a star role in the next campaign as the media desperately search for some intelligent debate.

Good morning David - and a good post as ever. I wrote yesterday that the Statement had rapidly unravelled because the public knows that the government cannot afford it. And the cuts required are sheer fantasy - they simply cannot be realised. The celebrations from some on PB came, as is so often the case, way too loud, and way too early.
  • Options
    Interesting article from Lord Ashcroft.

"... party attributes are more important than policy issues or personalities. Sharing voters’ values (green, top centre) and being on their side (light blue, top left) is more salient than being more trusted on the NHS (pink, bottom left), education (brown, bottom left) or even job creation (red, centre), or having the best candidate for Prime Minister (blue, bottom right), or having the best economic team (grey, bottom right)."

http://www.conservativehome.com/platform/2014/12/lord-ashcroft-the-importance-of-being-salient.html

• Options
    JackW said:

Hope Nige isn't driving - particularly if there is a Glenrothes GP in 2016 - new laws come in today.

It will no doubt be 45 laps - one for each referendum planned.
  • Options
    JackW said:

Reckless? An MP next May?

And Farage??
  • Options
    BTW .... apparently Nigel Farage and Russell Brand are due to appear on next weeks QT.

Should be a wheeze !!
  • Options
    JackW said:

Speedy said:

We need to remind ourselves that the Ashcroft polls provide a "nowcast" of seats whereas a more appropriate measure for the parties is my ARSE which provides an unsurpassed tool and immensely respected measure of the results in May 2015.

Indeed why bother with a general election at all .... apart of course with providing OGH with a facility for topping up his wine cellar and subscription to the Belgravia Hair Center.

JackW, an unsurpassed tool?

• Options

JackW said:

Reckless? An MP next May?

And Farage??
    I was being generous .... as per normal.

Titters from Mrs JackW stage left ....

• Options
    Mr. W, Farage's party is third in the polls, and it's fair enough he appears. Why the BBC seems interested in the prolonged prattling of Brand is utterly beyond me.
  • Options

JackW said:

Speedy said:

JackW, an unsurpassed tool?

Absolutely.

There's no tool like an old tool ....

• Options
    NinoinozNinoinoz Posts: 1,312

Mr. W, Farage's party is third in the polls, and it's fair enough he appears. Why the BBC seems interested in the prolonged prattling of Brand is utterly beyond me.

I was expecting to answer "because he's funny", but he's not even that.
  • Options
    If Ashcroft is right and the LDs are down 24% (from 48% to 36%) in the 57 seats they won in 2010 then for a national vote share of just 7% then simple arithmetic shows that their average vote share in the other 570 or so UK mainland seats must be just 4% - the average LD result is a lost deposit. Worth thinking about that arithmetic as the election gets nearer...
  • Options
    The Tories whining about the BBC coverage of the AS is utterly pathetic - the BBC haven't made up the story - it's backed up by hard analysis from the IFS. The whinging just keeps Ozzy's duff sums in the news for longer. Shambolic.
  • Options
    Ninoinoz said:

"because he's funny and a right-on leftie"
  • Options
    Mr. Oz, perhaps Brand is what some BBC bigwigs think ordinary people consider an anti-Establishment voice. Inexplicable to grant him airtime.
  • Options
    philiphphiliph Posts: 4,704

It is hard to see the attraction of Brand. You get the impression he is the wide eyed political evangelist in first year common room, while Ed is strutting around with intellectual self confidence in the senior common room.

For once I agree with the front page of The Sun (68% say he is a hypocrite and 64% say he's not funny).
  • Options
    BenMBenM Posts: 1,795
    The Tories are a shambles again this morning.

BBC baiting only appeals to the very small Tory hardcore. And it exposes the glaring weaknesses in the Autumn Statement.

Having discredited Tory tabloids screaming your case doesn't help either.
  • Options

Mr. Oz, perhaps Brand is what some BBC bigwigs think ordinary people consider an anti-Establishment voice. Inexplicable to grant him airtime.

If he is anti-establishment, then Terry-Thomas would qualify as the voice of the establishment.
  • Options

I have no problem with either appearing. QT shouldn't be the preserve of just politicians and Brand's appearance is topical.

On a related matter I have resolved the general election debates appearance problem.

3 UK wide debates plus Welsh, Ulster and Scottish leaders debates.

Of the 3 UK debates the first would be between Farage, Galloway and Lucas and the second and third debates between Cameron, Miliband and Clegg.

Sorted.

• Options
    BenM said:

BBC baiting only appeals to the very small Tory hardcore. And it exposes the glaring weaknesses in the Autumn Statement.

That right, 3 million people buy The Sun every day because they dont like what it has to say.
  • Options
    BenM said:

Indeed. I don't know whose idea it was to launch into this whinge-fest, but it was not a good one.
  • Options
    Ninoinoz said:

What about Brand ?
  • Options
    Indigo said:

BenM said:

That right, 3 million people buy The Sun every day because they dont like what it has to say.
    Less than 2 million and falling actually.
  • Options
    Square Root (from your link)

"In the Telegraph, BBC correspondent Norman Smith's likening of the spending cuts required to meet Mr Osborne's aims to George Orwell's depression-era book The Road to Wigan Pier "smacks of partisanship" and is "preposterous".

If the Telegraph writers put down their champagne flutes got off their fat backsides and headed to one of the many soup kitchens just accross the river from where they work they might stop attacking the messenger and at the same time stop being a disgrace to their profession.
  • Options
    Mr. M, aren't 'discredited Tory tabloids' the most popular newspapers in the country?

Mr. H, it'd be interesting to know whether he believes his own bullshit. I would guess not.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,068
    edited December 2014
    I see Tim Aker has won a seat on Thurrock Council for UKIP. They were defending, of course.

Incidentally, I’d take issue with HH’s comment yesterday that Thurrock was a typical Essex council with a Tory majority. Traditionally it was solid Old Labour, which it’s a Unitary Authority. Labour Thurrock didn’t want to be controlled by Tory Essex!
  • Options
    ThomasNasheThomasNashe Posts: 5,018

I see Tim Aker has won a seat on Thurrock Council for UKIP.

What? Timur the terrorist? That can't be right!
  • Options
    SmarmeronSmarmeron Posts: 5,099
    @Bobajob_
    You have to have some sympathy? The IFS release a statement, and bloody left wing media reports on it as news? What is the country coming to?
    Mr. Angry,
    of Tonbridge Wells
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,369

I think the data is ambiguous.

While there are polling examples of a change in behaviour in a 2 stage question, the 2014 local election results did not show a special effect for LD held parliamentary seats.

"...on average the drop in the Lib-Dem vote in wards located in the constituency of an incumbent Lib-Dem MP was, at 13 points, much the same as elsewhere."

http://www.ippr.org/juncture/messages-from-the-voters-the-2014-local-and-european-elections

Well, a personal vote is a personal vote. It doesn't necessarily transfer to local candidates. In the USA, where they have a single ballot paper, encouraging voting by party down the line, it varies a lot: they call it the "coattails effect" if the person at the top pulls in votes for everyone else in the party, and far from everyone does.
    antifrank said:

Financier said:

It does seem to be a differential effect. I looked at this in detail a couple of weeks ago:

http://newstonoone.blogspot.co.uk/2014/11/reading-entrails-few-polling.html
    Really good article by antifrank. The LibDem tactical/personal vote in their seats shown by the polls is genuinely awesome.

But I do have a reservation about prompting for localness. If you prompt for any factor, it hints to the voter that when he thinks about that factor, maybe he'd like to think again about his vote. If you imagine saying "Now, thinking about what the parties have said on the NHS/the deficit/immigration, who would you vote for?" you can imagine varying results. Isn't it possible that many people think about all kinds of things when they vote, and not especially about the constituency and candidates?

This is arguing against my interest a bit, since I'd quite like Broxtowe voters to make a personal choice. Some do, but maybe not as many as prompting for it implies. The same applies, incidentally, when polls do a second VI question with leader names - again, it nudges the voter to have a think whether the leaders might make them vote differently, when he's probably factored that in to the extent that he wants to already.

Incidentally, there was some YG polling last night on how people liked the Budget (everyone thought the stamp duty changes were a good idea, as I do myself, though not necessarily a vote-changing one). They don't seem to be in the YG report this morning. Does anyone have a link to them, and were they a separate poll?

And happy birthday fitalass. Enjoy the under-50 category for another year!

• Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,900
    Bobajob_ said:

BenM said:

Indeed. I don't know whose idea it was to launch into this whinge-fest, but it was not a good one.
    Nice to see you back Bob
  • Options
    BenM said:

Indigo said:

BenM said:

My mistake, so only double The Mirror, The Guardian, and The Independent put together then.
  • Options
    And good to see the Beeb starting up its Murdoch drivel rapid rebuttal unit.
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    Roger said:

Square Root (from your link)

"In the Telegraph, BBC correspondent Norman Smith's likening of the spending cuts required to meet Mr Osborne's aims to George Orwell's depression-era book The Road to Wigan Pier "smacks of partisanship" and is "preposterous".

If the Telegraph writers put down their champagne flutes got off their fat backsides and headed to one of the many soup kitchens just accross the river from where they work they might stop attacking the messenger and at the same time stop being a disgrace to their profession.

Aaah so because you don't agree with them.. they are a disgrace to their profession.

You are just hypocrite, plain and simple.. in the same way you live a very comfortable life whilst preaching to others about hardship. and soup kitchens.... in fact you are not far away from that nasty piece of work Russell Brand.
  • Options

Is he for or against Turkey joining the EU ?
  • Options
    Indigo said:

BenM said:

Indigo said:

BenM said:

My mistake, so only double The Mirror, The Guardian, and The Independent put together then.
    You Tories need your propaganda outlets more than Labour needs theirs.

The slide in circulation hurts Tories the most.
  • Options
    SocratesSocrates Posts: 10,322
    I'm glad that the Chancellor has had the good sense to point out the BBC's bias. Of course it's insane to say that government services are going back to the 1930s, when in reality every individual in the country is having thousands more in services spent to them over their 1930s counterparts.

Conservatives need to realise that there will never be an impartial BBC. The institution is ingrained with a left-wing mindset to its core, and, by nature of being a public sector media organisation, always will be. It's about time it was forced to raise its own money, rather than be reliant on a tax for owning a television. It's defenders say that the licence fee is clearly well worth what you get in return, so let them prove that by giving people the choice.
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

Is he for or against Turkey joining the EU ?
    That's a new low, even by your standards.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited December 2014
    Re this 1930s hoohah - the Adam Smith Blog raise a couple of good points today:

http://www.adamsmith.org/blog/tax-spending/is-this-a-fiddle-in-the-autumn-statement/

Firstly it is not overall public spending that is being talked about - only DEL. The 21% down to 12% figure excludes eg Welfare - the biggest element of our welfare state.

Secondly, it refers only to CENTRAL spending. As we devolve spending from the Treasury to counties, Scotland/Wales etc the amount of spending by No11 drops. But overall public spending may or may not.

In other words we need to see the detail or it's just a bullshit scare story.
  • Options
    SmarmeronSmarmeron Posts: 5,099
    @Socrates
    Deviation from the official government line is treason and must be eliminated.
  • Options
    Mr. Patrick, cheers for that post.

It does make the reporting look as convincing as the respect Miliband feels as a white van zooms by.
  • Options
    Smarmeron said:

@Socrates
    Deviation from the official government line is treason and must be eliminated.

Yet another case of someone not being able to argue with my actual points, so forced to make up what I say. The BBC do not consistently take an anti-government viewpoint. They do, however, consistently take a left-of-centre viewpoint. That's their right, of course, but we shouldn't be forced to subsidise them to do so.
  • Options
    Socrates said:

Conservatives need to realise that there will never be an impartial BBC. The institution is ingrained with a left-wing mindset to its core

Despite the endless agonies of thousands of rightwing fusspot blogs and columns, the case has never been proven because in the end it is a figment of the paranoid rightwing mind.
This discussion has been closed.