Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Harry Hayfield’s Local By-Election Preview : December 4th 2

Comments

• Options
    saddenedsaddened Posts: 2,245
    edited December 2014

Ninoinoz said:

The RAF, or Crab Air as they are not quite affectionately known*, grew out of the old Royal Flying Corps and the Royal Naval Air Service. I expect that they chose the term squadron for their standard unit because it was too small (12 aircraft) to be a regiment but too big to be a company, plus they had delusions of grandeur (knights of the sky and all that stuff). Frankly who cares what the Crabs think or do - they haven't shot down an enemy aeroplane since 1945 and their primary objective is to preserve the RAF and to hell with the County's defence needs. They couldn't even close the runway at Port Stanley.

So, they didn't shoot down any Argentine aeroplanes during the Falklands War?

I thought RAF pilots flew from the carriers.

Really and truly the RAF have not shot down an enemy aeroplane since 1945.
    They have however shot down a friendly aircraft. The details escape me at the moment, but from memory think it was an F4 Phantom, which took out a Jaguar, with a sidewinder. The Jag pilot ejected safely.

Edit, brief details here
    http://forum.keypublishing.com/showthread.php?60022-25-May-82-Phantom-shot-down-Jaguar-with-AIM9
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,934
    Tonights YG LAB 324 CON 273 LD 23

EICIPM
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 41,118
    TGOHF said:

isam said:

TGOHF said:

isam said:

TGOHF said:

isam said:

Any advice on excuse making if UKIP don't win the by election tonight? I am not sure how to do it and there are plenty of experts on here

We weren't really trying/It's only a by election/We only lost by xxxx amount/we'll win it next time

all 4?

It was dem mean spoof accounts on the interwebz taking the pee out of our harking back to the halcyon days and dirty tricks !

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/ukip/11273244/Ukip-warns-supporters-about-fake-town-impersonating-them-on-Twitter.html

Ukip failed to see the funny side of a parody account about a fake town impersonating them on Twitter.
    MEP David Coburn was eager to ensure his followers weren’t fooled by the @Trumpton_Ukip account and urged his followers to block or report it.

A spate of fake Ukip Twitter accounts have emerged this week, with the Eurosceptic party claiming to be the victim of “a dirty tricks campaign”.

Mr Coburn has clearly never watched popular children’s TV show Trumpton, which was first aired on the BBC in the 1960s.

UKIP Trumpton say its number of followers has quadrupled since Mr Coburn’s tweet.

You'd love Trumpton - those were the days eh ?
    I remember it vaguely... it's funny how the you use the same thought process and apply the same lazy stereotypes of any UKIP supporter that people would associate with an old school racist/sexist bigot, but probably don't realise you are doing it... its just the same thing with a different target.. at least it makes you laugh I suppose

"Take my mother in Law.. I wish some c*nt would.." boom boom
    What's sexist or racist about Trumpton? You need thicker skin if you are going to stand in the GE.
    Nothing is. What I am saying is that in light of several other fake UKIP accounts that are spouting racist and homophobic rubbish to try and smear the party, its only sensible to point out when another fake account pops up... all the fake ones start off by posting "safe" stuff and after a week or so start the bile, so how would anyone know this one would be different? Doesn't matter that its not a real place.. if someone can be bothered to go to the trouble of setting it up, theyre obv as much as a helmet as the bloke doing the other ones

There is now way anyone under 35ish would know what Trumpton is, so many people who dont look closely at these things could think it really is UKIP..
  • Options

@tnewtondunn: YouGov/Sun poll tonight: no Autumn Statement bounce for Coalition. Libs 5th + Greens high again. LAB 32%, CON 31%, UKIP 15%, GRN 8%, LD 7%.

The question is when was this poll conducted ...... before or after the Autumn statement?

If it follows YouGov's normal schedule, it began at 5pm yesterday and finished at 3pm today
    Those polled yesterday are unlikely to have had a detailed grasp of the Chancellor's proposals. Unfortunately there's no Sun/YouGov poll tomorrow, so we may have to wait for the Sundays to gauge the true impact (if any).
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    AndyJS said:

I'm confident Paddington would have been one of the 50,000 immigrants UKIP would have allowed into the country each year.

Is he an essential worker in a skilled trade? I think not.

First ship to Peru for him!
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

The important YG for tomorrow

@WikiGuido: "64% say he's not funny" wounder RT @suttonnick: Friday's Sun front page:
    Brand - The Nation Speaks
    #bbcpapers http://t.co/Jgk6hYRaoJ

Worrying low
  • Options
    The best cinematic news today, even better than the next Bond

BENEDICT CUMBERBATCH TO PLAY DOCTOR STRANGE

http://marvel.com/news/movies/23754/benedict_cumberbatch_to_play_doctor_strange
  • Options

AndyJS said:

I'm confident Paddington would have been one of the 50,000 immigrants UKIP would have allowed into the country each year.

Is he an essential worker in a skilled trade? I think not.

First ship to Peru for him!
    Tsk, he's an expert sandwich maker. He can stay.
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

Nope, he's an illegal immigrant, who would put a strain on services (marmalade producers wouldn't be able to meet his demand)

Plus he changed the lives on an indigenous English family.

And he's a brown skinned chap who keeps his head covered.
  • Options
    perdixperdix Posts: 1,806
    antifrank said:

Noting the Mirror front page, has any MP ever been described as a junior MP?

In the Mirror if it's a Tory who is accused he will be a senior MP. If it's a Labour MP he will not be on the front page and probably not be mentioned at all.

• Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,967
    TGOHF

I wonder what the percentages would have been if the question had asked people's views on Murdoch. The Nation Speaks;

1. Do you think is a hypocrite? 2.Do you think he's a c*nt?
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,304
    Peter Does the average voter ever have a detailed knowledge of the Chancellor's proposals? First impressions normally stick on budgets, autumn statements etc and the conclusion is not much change, Osborne neither had a disaster nor an electorally popular one, not surprising considering it was basically a statement of another Parliament of more austerity with a few sweeteners into the mix
  • Options

@tnewtondunn: YouGov/Sun poll tonight: no Autumn Statement bounce for Coalition. Libs 5th + Greens high again. LAB 32%, CON 31%, UKIP 15%, GRN 8%, LD 7%.

The question is when was this poll conducted ...... before or after the Autumn statement?

If it follows YouGov's normal schedule, it began at 5pm yesterday and finished at 3pm today
    Those polled yesterday are unlikely to have had a detailed grasp of the Chancellor's proposals. Unfortunately there's no Sun/YouGov poll tomorrow, so we may have to wait for the Sundays to gauge the true impact (if any).
    The Sunday Times YouGov poll started at 5pm today and ends tomorrow at 3pm.

The Opinium poll for the Observer will have straddled the Autumn Statement.

The ICM and Ipsos-Mori phone polls should be going into the field tomorrow and end on Sunday.
  • Options
    Roger said:

TGOHF

I wonder what the percentages would have been if the question had asked people's views on Murdoch. The Nation Speaks;

1. Do you think is a hypocrite? 2.Do you think he's a c*nt?

I think you're on very thin ice accusing others of hypocrisy. Best leave that subject well alone.
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    How can Paddington be anti-UKIP? He was allowed into the country in the 1950s, precisely the time which UKIP want to turn the clock back to.
  • Options
    First Paddington makes a comeback, now it looks like Morph is on QT
  • Options
    MikeKMikeK Posts: 9,053
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-30338663
    Premier Foods accused over 'pay and stay' practice.

Mr Horsley, who has had a maintenance contract with Ambrosia in Devon for more than 10 years, said: "I think it's like blackmail.
    "What they are saying is 'unless you pay this money, you can't do the work'."
    He has decided not to pay and risk losing the contract.
    "I'm just a layman but I can't see how that is right."

This cannot be justified in my opinion.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 36,013

AndyJS said:

Nope, he's an illegal immigrant, who would put a strain on services (marmalade producers wouldn't be able to meet his demand)

We'd let Paddington in.

Then we'd shoot him, and mount his head on a wooden shield in Whites.
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

How can Paddington be anti-UKIP? He was allowed into the country in the 1950s, precisely the time which UKIP want to turn the clock back to.

No one can understand his Peruvian name, so they call him Paddington..

Except if he goes to Thurrock where the Tories will call him Pedro
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Peter Does the average voter ever have a detailed knowledge of the Chancellor's proposals? First impressions normally stick on budgets, autumn statements etc and the conclusion is not much change, Osborne neither had a disaster nor an electorally popular one, not surprising considering it was basically a statement of another Parliament of more austerity with a few sweeteners into the mix

You're probably right but we need another couple of polls to be sure.
  • Options
    FrankBoothFrankBooth Posts: 9,071
    Good on Newsnight for focusing on one of the big stories from yesterday's spending review, the forecast for increasing household debt. What makes the OBR think this is going to happen? Why have they kept predicting increases in household debt that have never materialised? This needs an explanation. It starts to look like the OBR is doing its best to provide growth figures for the government by any means necessary, never mind how likely it actually is to happen.
  • Options
    NinoinozNinoinoz Posts: 1,312

Ninoinoz said:

The RAF, or Crab Air as they are not quite affectionately known*, grew out of the old Royal Flying Corps and the Royal Naval Air Service. I expect that they chose the term squadron for their standard unit because it was too small (12 aircraft) to be a regiment but too big to be a company, plus they had delusions of grandeur (knights of the sky and all that stuff). Frankly who cares what the Crabs think or do - they haven't shot down an enemy aeroplane since 1945 and their primary objective is to preserve the RAF and to hell with the County's defence needs. They couldn't even close the runway at Port Stanley.

RAF pilots did fly from the carriers in the Falklands war but they flew ground attack versions of the Harrier and were not engaged in air combat. The Sea harriers, which did shoot down enemy aeroplanes, were all Fleet Air Arm, i.e. Royal Navy.

In Korea a couple of RAF pilots did shoot down enemy aeroplanes but those pilots were on exchange to the USA and were flying American aircraft under American direction. There were British aerial victories in Korea but again they were won by RN Pilots flying from carriers.

Contentious, to say the least.

http://www.wnblog.co.uk/2012/04/david-morgan-raf-officer-and-poet-relives-his-experiences-during-the-falklands-war/
  • Options

The ICM and Ipsos-Mori phone polls should be going into the field tomorrow and end on Sunday.
    Plus there should be a Populus poll tomorrow .... Yes?
  • Options
    SocratesSocrates Posts: 10,322
    Roger said:

TheScreamingEagles said:

"A vile attack on Shneur, a top UKIPer I've met."

Just what UKIP need. A modern man

http://www.timesofisrael.com/orthodox-politician-draws-ire-for-refusal-to-shake-womens-hands/

For once we're in total agreement. Religion is no excuse for obnoxious sexism. UKIP should kick him out.
  • Options

Yes, that fieldwork would be Yesterday and Today.
  • Options
    This better be good, I was planning to go to bed now, but will be staying up for this

https://twitter.com/thetimes/status/540640156911677440
  • Options
    isam said:

AndyJS said:

No one can understand his Peruvian name, so they call him Paddington..

Except if he goes to Thurrock where the Tories will call him Pedro
    Does Paddington speak Spanish, Quechua or Aymara?
  • Options
    FrankBoothFrankBooth Posts: 9,071
    Sean_F said:

AndyJS said:

We'd let Paddington in.

Then we'd shoot him, and mount his head on a wooden shield in Whites.
    Sounds like a kipper who should be supporting Cameron!
  • Options
    valleyboy said:

Django Unchained. My favourite film of last few years. Puts '12 years a Slave' to Shame.

You really do get all opinions on here! And Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels showed up the Godfather, right?
  • Options
    Socrates said:

Roger said:

TheScreamingEagles said:

http://www.timesofisrael.com/orthodox-politician-draws-ire-for-refusal-to-shake-womens-hands/

For once we're in total agreement. Religion is no excuse for obnoxious sexism. UKIP should kick him out.
    It's not really being sexist is it? It's not as if he wont touch a woman because he thinks they are unworthy or of lesser value than men
  • Options
    isam said:

First Paddington makes a comeback, now it looks like Morph is on QT

That reminds me of a classic 1980s kids TV theme tune:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=j66XfN5acX4
  • Options
    Peter Will see at the weekend, but this yougov will have been taken over 24 hours all post statement and was very little to polls at the beginning of the week, I would be astonished if the weekend polls showed much different
  • Options
    Ninoinoz said:

Ninoinoz said:

RAF pilots did fly from the carriers in the Falklands war but they flew ground attack versions of the Harrier and were not engaged in air combat. The Sea harriers, which did shoot down enemy aeroplanes, were all Fleet Air Arm, i.e. Royal Navy.

In Korea a couple of RAF pilots did shoot down enemy aeroplanes but those pilots were on exchange to the USA and were flying American aircraft under American direction. There were British aerial victories in Korea but again they were won by RN Pilots flying from carriers.

http://www.wnblog.co.uk/2012/04/david-morgan-raf-officer-and-poet-relives-his-experiences-during-the-falklands-war/
    Not really, he was on secondment to the navy flying a navy aircraft, the crabs had no impact on his actions.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 59,029

This better be good, I was planning to go to bed now, but will be staying up for this

Prepare to be disappointed. Papers love to ramp (especially when it comes to polls)!
  • Options
    Socrates said:

valleyboy said:

Django Unchained. My favourite film of last few years. Puts '12 years a Slave' to Shame.

You really do get all opinions on here! And Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels showed up the Godfather, right?
    Only one good film mentioned there IMO
  • Options
    Das Boot on Film4 now if anyone interested, though will not have time to watch it all
  • Options

Good on Newsnight for focusing on one of the big stories from yesterday's spending review, the forecast for increasing household debt. What makes the OBR think this is going to happen? Why have they kept predicting increases in household debt that have never materialised? This needs an explanation. It starts to look like the OBR is doing its best to provide growth figures for the government by any means necessary, never mind how likely it actually is to happen.

Oh! Sorry, is this the OBR that Osborne keeps inferring is the "Gold Standard" of government statistics?
  • Options
    Based on recent polls, the Greens appear to be quite close to reaching critical mass, certainly in terms of competing with the LibDems. They should really be pushing as hard as poss to stand in another 50-100 seats, not with any chance of winning of course, but to put markers down for 2020 and in a good many cases by saving their deposits
  • Options
    Isam you make a good point questioning whether UKIP could have a decent excuse if they lose Aveley and Uplands. I'm a Ukipper and I'll be the first to admit our record when it comes to holding our own seats in by elections is appalling.
  • Options
    Socrates said:

Roger said:

TheScreamingEagles said:

What? Kick out an Orthodox Jew for being exactly that?

Perhaps select him as a candidate for Salford or Golders Green, but surely there's room in UKIP for all kinds.
  • Options
    isam said:

Socrates said:

Roger said:

TheScreamingEagles said:

It's not really being sexist is it? It's not as if he wont touch a woman because he thinks they are unworthy or of lesser value than men
    No, it's just assuming that providing women with basic professional courtesies is an inherently sexual act, as if that's what women are there for. It's obnoxious and its sexist, and the vast majority of British Jews have long moved past such antiquated beliefs to fit in with modern Western society.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Das Boot on Film4 now if anyone interested, though will not have time to watch it all

I've seen the same few minutes of the film about 10 times, namely the bit where the captain gets drunk. Or maybe the whole film features him being drunk.
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    Euurgh

Cooper on QT comparing the mass immigration of the last 20 years with the slow immigration of the last 1000.. "British values" "Fairness"

BULLSHIT!

...and now its the Daily Mail's fault for mentioning it
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    Ninoinoz said:

Socrates said:

Roger said:

TheScreamingEagles said:

Perhaps select him as a candidate for Salford or Golders Green, but surely there's room in UKIP for all kinds.
    Should they make room for Scientologists that believe psychologists are evil as part of their religious beliefs? I'm fed up of religion being used as a "get out of jail free" card for stuff that, rightly, isn't considered acceptable for the irreligious. "Kicking out" is too harsh, but we shouldn't let him represent the party as a candidate.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,759
    edited December 2014
    RobD said:

Prepare to be disappointed. Papers love to ramp (especially when it comes to polls)!
    Indeed, the Sun ramped up a story as having major implications on the indyref.

Turned out it was David Beckham backing better together
  • Options
    Socrates said:

isam said:

Socrates said:

Roger said:

TheScreamingEagles said:

No, it's just assuming that providing women with basic professional courtesies is an inherently sexual act, as if that's what women are there for. It's obnoxious and its sexist, and the vast majority of British Jews have long moved past such antiquated beliefs to fit in with modern Western society.
    It is not for you to determine what is or is not fit for Jews to believe in.

Stop telling people how to run their own religions.
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    Socrates said:

isam said:

Socrates said:

Roger said:

TheScreamingEagles said:

Don't see that it matters really. If he doesn't want to touch any woman apart from his wife why should he? Who cares?
  • Options
    RobD said:

It certainly won't be a poll. My money would be on an interview, probably sports-related, possibly cricket, just conceivably Alastair Cook ..... "Why I'm resigning as England Captain". Can I get a bet on in time?
  • Options
    Ninoinoz said:

Socrates said:

isam said:

Socrates said:

Roger said:

TheScreamingEagles said:

It is not for you to determine what is or is not fit for Jews to believe in.

Stop telling people how to run their own religions.
    I'm not telling them how run their own religion. I'm just saying how we should run our party, and what sort of people with what sort of views we should allow to stand for it.
  • Options
    AndyJS A lot of drinking now at the beginning, the film goes on for about 4 hours, a lot of dark scenes under the waves , I remember watching it in German lessons at school
  • Options
    MarkSeniorMarkSenior Posts: 4,699

Based on recent polls, the Greens appear to be quite close to reaching critical mass, certainly in terms of competing with the LibDems. They should really be pushing as hard as poss to stand in another 50-100 seats, not with any chance of winning of course, but to put markers down for 2020 and in a good many cases by saving their deposits

Based on council by elections since June there are not even 100 council seats the Greens have a chance of fighting competitively . Their vote share overall is below 4% . Whatever some pollsters are measuring it is not real Green support in the polling booth .
  • Options
    Socrates said:

valleyboy said:

Don't patronise. Even a labourite is allowed an opinion on here!
  • Options
    isam said:

Socrates said:

isam said:

Socrates said:

Roger said:

TheScreamingEagles said:

Don't see that it matters really. If he doesn't want to touch any woman apart from his wife why should he? Who cares?
    Most of the women that he snubs when it comes to basic business courtesies, I imagine.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 59,029

RobD said:

It certainly won't be a poll. My money would be on an interview, probably sports-related, possibly cricket, just conceivably Alastair Cook ..... "Why I'm resigning as England Captain". Can I get a bet on in time?
    Yeah Ididn't think it would be a poll, just remembering previous tweets from other papers hyping a poll which showed margin of error movements.
  • Options
    john_zimsjohn_zims Posts: 3,399
    @MikeK

Just emailed them to confirm they have lost a customer.
  • Options
    Perhaps we should have paid closer attention to the Euros, where the Greens of England & Wales outpolled the Lib Dems score in GB.
  • Options
    Socrates said:

Ninoinoz said:

Socrates said:

Roger said:

TheScreamingEagles said:

Should they make room for Scientologists that believe psychologists are evil as part of their religious beliefs? I'm fed up of religion being used as a "get out of jail free" card for stuff that, rightly, isn't considered acceptable for the irreligious. "Kicking out" is too harsh, but we shouldn't let him represent the party as a candidate.
    Yes, for Scientologists. UKIP recently stood up for badly treated Jehovah's Witnesses in Southampton.

UKIP has picked up a lot of members who are religious, mainly because they have been badly treated and none of the mainstream parties wish to champion them.

I think he would be fine as a candidate in Salford (he stood in the North West) or St. John's Wood, Stamford Hill, Golders Green, etc.

Incidentally, MikeK, of this parish, is Jewish.
  • Options
    SpeedySpeedy Posts: 12,100
    Britain Elects @britainelects · 41s 42 seconds ago
    UKIP HOLD Aveley & Uplands (Thurrock).
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,934
    Britain Elects ‏@britainelects 51s52 seconds ago
  • Options

The truth about Rinka?
  • Options
    valleyboy said:

Socrates said:

valleyboy said:

Don't patronise. Even a labourite is allowed an opinion on here!
    I share your view, Django was much better than 12 Years A Slave
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    Socrates said:

isam said:

Socrates said:

isam said:

Socrates said:

Roger said:

TheScreamingEagles said:

Most of the women that he snubs when it comes to basic business courtesies, I imagine.
    Doesn't hurt to tolerate someone's beliefs if they aren't doing any harm
  • Options
    Britain Elects @britainelects · 2m 2 minutes ago
    Aveley & Uplands (Thurrock) result:
    UKIP - 41.0% (-6.2)
    CON - 28.5% (-1.1)
    LAB - 18.6% (+2.4)
    IND - 11.9% (+11.9)

Not bad for UKIP, they lost mainly to independents.
  • Options
    edited December 2014

Perhaps we should have paid closer attention to the Euros, where the Greens of England & Wales outpolled the Lib Dems score in GB.

and in the local elections on the same day they polled 1/3rd of the Lib Dem votes .
  • Options
    Speedy said:

Hooray!

Isn't it great when racist tactics backfire?

Looks good for the GE.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

The truth about Rinka?
    Oooh I hope so
  • Options
    Danny565Danny565 Posts: 8,091
    Sean_F said:

The truth about Rinka?
    I'm also suspecting something Thorpe-related.
  • Options
    Ninoinoz said:

Ninoinoz said:

Er! Read the extract, did you? May have been RAF but was seconded to Fleet Air Arm.

Just like in WW2, Fleet Air Arm pilots, along with the Poles, Czechs, French, Norwegians, Commonwealth pilots and even the Israeli went into Fighter Command and fought in the Battle of Britain. Funnily enough, found out recently that 303 squadron (Polish) shot down more planes than all the Brit Squadrons put together. Didn't like the Germans for some reason.

PS: still remember the film of Argie Skyhawk chasing the Harrier which went up, the Skyhawk went straight on with a missile in it's exhaust. Oh, if only we still had such planes available.....
  • Options
    Ninoinoz said:

Speedy said:

Hooray!

Looks good for the GE.
    UKIP vote share down around 6%

UKIP 747 Con 520 Lab 338 Ind 217
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    Danny565 said:

Sean_F said:

The truth about Rinka?
    I'm also suspecting something Thorpe-related.
    Well it's not related to Mark Pritchard, whom we must not mention his adventure today which might have the most serious affect on his constituency in May.
  • Options

Ninoinoz said:

Speedy said:

Hooray!

Looks good for the GE.

A small drop due to an independent standing and taking some NOTA's.
  • Options
    Socrates said:

isam said:

Socrates said:

isam said:

Socrates said:

Roger said:

TheScreamingEagles said:

I suppose it all depends on how he greets the women he meets. Plenty of people dislike shaking hands , but still manage to be polite.
  • Options
    Speedy said:

Ninoinoz said:

Speedy said:

Hooray!

Looks good for the GE.

The Labour vote share was up slightly despite an Independent standing
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

The truth about Rinka?
    The Rinka truth?

I'll get me coat pyjamas.
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    Mansfield is a Lab hold
    Correction it is a Lab gain from MIF

Lab 347 UKIP 225 TUSC 29

• Options

Speedy said:

Ninoinoz said:

Speedy said:

Hooray!

Looks good for the GE.

Surely the Labour share would be expected to increase because an independent stood?
  • Options

Speedy said:

Ninoinoz said:

Speedy said:

Hooray!

Looks good for the GE.

Well realistically they couldn't fall much further.
  • Options
    isam said:

Speedy said:

Ninoinoz said:

Speedy said:

Hooray!

Looks good for the GE.

Surely the Labour share would be expected to increase because an independent stood?
    No you would expect the Independent to take a few votes from all the previous parties
  • Options
    Ninoinoz said:

Socrates said:

Ninoinoz said:

Socrates said:

Roger said:

TheScreamingEagles said:

Yes, for Scientologists. UKIP recently stood up for badly treated Jehovah's Witnesses in Southampton.

UKIP has picked up a lot of members who are religious, mainly because they have been badly treated and none of the mainstream parties wish to champion them.

I think he would be fine as a candidate in Salford (he stood in the North West) or St. John's Wood, Stamford Hill, Golders Green, etc.

I'm not sure what happened regarding Jehovah's Witnesses in Southampton, but it's entirely right that people are stood up for when they're being unfairly treated, even if we think their views in other areas aren't that nice. I'm pretty sure most Sunni Muslims in Syria have views I find very intolerant, but I still think it's wrong when they're being butchered by the Assad regime and people should speak out, or more, for their protection.

However, that said, when we select candidates as a party, we should select people who are egalitarians and don't treat people differently because of how they were born. People should be judged on their views and actions, not on their sex or skin colour.
  • Options
    Britain Elects @britainelects · 2m 2 minutes ago
    Labour HOLD Longholme (Rossendale).

And that concludes this night's by-elections.
    Interested to see the Pritchard developments if any tomorrow.
    Goodnight.
  • Options

Ninoinoz said:

Speedy said:

Hooray!

Looks good for the GE.

True, but the Tory vote share was down as well.
  • Options

Sean_F said:

The truth about Rinka?
    Oooh I hope so
    There was a punk band at the time that produced a song called "Jeremy is Innocent" accompanied by sounds of gunfire and barking dogs.

• Options

isam said:

Speedy said:

Ninoinoz said:

Speedy said:

Hooray!

Looks good for the GE.

No you would expect the Independent to take a few votes from all the previous parties
    Oh well UKIP won, I am happy

Want to back Labour in Rotherham at the best price available?
  • Options
    Speedy said:

Speedy said:

Ninoinoz said:

Speedy said:

Hooray!

Looks good for the GE.

Yes they could and did in 2008 for example when the BNP were the UKIP lite alternative in this ward
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    Socrates said:

Ninoinoz said:

Socrates said:

Ninoinoz said:

Socrates said:

Roger said:

TheScreamingEagles said:

However, that said, when we select candidates as a party, we should select people who are egalitarians and don't treat people differently because of how they were born. People should be judged on their views and actions, not on their sex or skin colour.
    Clearly true on skin colour, but there is precisely zero evidence of this in this case.

As for sex, clearly a laughable suggestion. There are occasions too numerous to mention when men and women are treated differently or separately. Sport, for example.
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    Socrates said:

Ninoinoz said:

Socrates said:

Ninoinoz said:

Socrates said:

Roger said:

TheScreamingEagles said:

I'm not sure what happened regarding Jehovah's Witnesses in Southampton, but it's entirely right that people are stood up for when they're being unfairly treated, even if we think their views in other areas aren't that nice. I'm pretty sure most Sunni Muslims in Syria have views I find very intolerant, but I still think it's wrong when they're being butchered by the Assad regime and people should speak out, or more, for their protection.

Sorry I am not having that.

We don't force Muslim women to take their veils off in front of every man like they do their husbands, and I wouldn't ask them to. Why should we force Jews to touch women other than their wives if their religion forbids it? It's not against the law.

We don't ask Sikhs to remove their turbans when they go into places where we would expect headwear to be removed.. You've got to give people a bit of leeway. It seems like you just have it in for religion and take aggressive stances on behalf of any cause if religion is the enemy, even when no harm is being done
  • Options
    isam said:

isam said:

Speedy said:

Ninoinoz said:

Speedy said:

Hooray!

Looks good for the GE.

Oh well UKIP won, I am happy

Want to back Labour in Rotherham at the best price available?
    A majority of 1 is enough.
  • Options
    edited December 2014

Speedy said:

Speedy said:

Ninoinoz said:

Speedy said:

Hooray!

Looks good for the GE.

Yes they could and did in 2008 for example when the BNP were the UKIP lite alternative in this ward
  • Options
  • Options
    Danny565Danny565 Posts: 8,091
    Andrew Neil tearing into George Osborne on This Week.
  • Options
    FlightpathFlightpath Posts: 4,012
    edited December 2014
    Sean_F said:

The truth about Rinka?
    Thorpe is dead - he cannot sue.
  • Options
    Socrates said:
    More importantly, it means the police will have less time and money available to catch the real criminals re. online porn.
  • Options
    The potential reopening of Libyan oil production could drive prices lower still:

http://www.cnbc.com/id/102237685
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    Danny565 said:

Andrew Neil tearing into George Osborne on This Week.

..and Portillo laughs at Cameron's immigration speech
  • Options
    FlightpathFlightpath Posts: 4,012
    Socrates said:

Ninoinoz said:

Socrates said:

Ninoinoz said:

Socrates said:

Roger said:

TheScreamingEagles said:

So why is Janice Atkinson still a UKIP MEP?
    Why is UKIP allied with a Polish neo nazi?
  • Options

Speedy said:

Speedy said:

Ninoinoz said:

Speedy said:

Hooray!

Looks good for the GE.

So, still the cheap comparison between UKIP and the BNP, despite a part Turkish candidate winning for UKIP in Thurrock and a discussion on this board about a Jewish UKIP Euro candidate?

You are starting to look ridiculous, not merely desperate.
  • Options
    edited December 2014

Socrates said:

So why is Janice Atkinson still a UKIP MEP?
    Why is UKIP allied with a Polish neo nazi?

Please don't attribute false quotes to me.
  • Options
    Socrates said:
    Scroll down and you'll see a contrasting article "Why naked Women Make Me Uncomfortable". At heart, I think quite a lot of radical feminists find the idea of sexual activity (at any rate, sexual activity between men and women) extremely distasteful. It's a very old belief reinvented in the modern world.
  • Options
    fitalassfitalass Posts: 4,279
    Peter, my oldest son was contacted via his mobile and took part in a Populus survey on Tuesday, his first ever political poll. He said he was also asked to rate a selection of politicians including Alex Salmond.

This discussion has been closed.