Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » SNP councillors give their response to the Smith report by

SystemSystem Posts: 11,705
edited December 2014 in General

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » SNP councillors give their response to the Smith report by burning it

politicalbetting.com is proudly powered by WordPress
with "Neat!" theme. Entries (RSS) and Comments (RSS).

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    PongPong Posts: 4,693
    FPT:

AndyJS said:

If it should be okay for women to breastfeed in Claridge's, surely it should also be just as okay for young men to pleasure themselves in Claridge's, or old people to urinate or defecate while dining there.

All of these things are just as "natural" as breastfeeding. (No offence intended).

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2014/dec/02/claridges-breastfeeding-babies

It must be OK.. Madonna got her tits out for Page 3 today, but some women do it in the hope that someone will complain... it advances the feminist agenda..
    It's a woman feeding a baby. That's all.

I really don't get the problem?
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,990
    I vote for silly.
  • Options
    SquareRootSquareRoot Posts: 7,095
    Pong said:

FPT:

AndyJS said:

If it should be okay for women to breastfeed in Claridge's, surely it should also be just as okay for young men to pleasure themselves in Claridge's, or old people to urinate or defecate while dining there.

All of these things are just as "natural" as breastfeeding. (No offence intended).

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2014/dec/02/claridges-breastfeeding-babies

It must be OK.. Madonna got her tits out for Page 3 today, but some women do it in the hope that someone will complain... it advances the feminist agenda..

its not a problem, unless a women deliberately set out to make sure someone is offended.. if they do it discreetly no one notices or bothers about it. I
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,602
    edited December 2014
    Obviously the views of us out of touch PBers who don't know what's going out on the ground won't realise this is a tipping point for Scottish Independence.
  • Options
    SpeedySpeedy Posts: 12,100
    Why give them the extra powers in the smith report to appease them since they apparently hate it?
    Why not reject the report, as they have rejected it already, and not give them any powers.
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,900
    GEORGE Osborne's huge lead over Labour on the economy is slipping as pessimism over the economy returns, a poll has revealed.
  • Options
    Robert's mate Kwasi Kwarteng is going to the be the big story of tomorrow, and maybe the General Election.

He's made the front page of the Indy

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/B34naDQCYAAgmSh.jpg
  • Options
    anotherDaveanotherDave Posts: 6,746

GEORGE Osborne's huge lead over Labour on the economy is slipping as pessimism over the economy returns, a poll has revealed.

What poll?
  • Options
    edited December 2014

Banging on about the economy is a double edged sword, at bad times voters blame the government, at good times they might feel safe enough to vote for the opposition (especially if non-economic issues are a priority).
  • Options
    TOM NEWTON DUNN, Political Editor Published: 19 minutes ago
    GEORGE Osborne's huge lead over Labour on the economy is slipping as pessimism over the economy returns
  • Options
    JohnOJohnO Posts: 4,215

What poll?
    It's a supplementary question (no details yet apart from Osborne's ratings falling by 5%) in tonight's YouGov poll
  • Options

What poll?
    The yougov one.
  • Options
    ChokinVaseChokinVase Posts: 67
    edited December 2014
    FPT, apologies for having to repost it (new thread started just as I posted):
    rcs1000 said:

My more serious answer is that I believe very strongly in limiting the powers of the state... I realise that not many share my views: but I think the real problem is that we have come to see the government as the solutions to our problems, when so often it is the cause of them...

You're not alone.

There are more libertarians out there than the major parties realise. The degree varies, of course. I think the state does have a valid role in things like law & order, defence, diplomacy/foreign policy, key infrastructure and a minimum/safety net approach for health & welfare. That probably makes me a lefty compared to the more fervent libertarians who are close to anarchists! But still very much to libertarian end of the spectrum compared to mainstream party politics in the UK.

No party adequately services voters like us, so we end up reluctantly voting for whichever one perceives as least worst (if you prioritise the economics, probably Tory; if you prioritise the social side, probably LD or Blarite Labour; if you think the lack of liberty is down to EU oversight, probably UKIP).

A party that could pull together all these disparate voters in a truly liberal (economically & socially) coalition could probably do quite well. It would have appeal to a host of people across traditional demographic boundaries. But of course, it's one thing to think that in theory and quite another to make it practical.

Instead of dreaming, I decided to figure out how protect myself & those close to me from government rather than worry about how much harm it was doing to everyone else. Adequate wealth is by far the best defence. Financial freedom gives you the tools & privileges to maintain your social freedoms and keep the state at arms length, and of course financial freedom also creates the possibility to further enhance it through a wider range of investment options and life opportunities for you & your family. It's a virtuous circle. That's why I prioritise the Tories as my personal least-worst option.

On the topic of near-absolute power being given to our governments, paradoxically I wonder if that's the one saving grace of our system, from a libertarian perspective. They can do just about anything. But the next parliament can also do that. So in practice, as long as there is more than one strong party, the political games should mean they can keep cancelling each other out. Small majorities either way (or two party coalitions) should keep things nicely paralysed due to infighting and let individuals slide through the middle without too much extra interference. There's a cost to continually adapting to the change of course, but it rather stops them doing anything too crazy & extreme given that the electoral centre of gravity holds politicians in low enough esteem to not let them get away with too much.
  • Options

Robert's mate Kwasi Kwarteng is going to the be the big story of tomorrow, and maybe the General Election.

Who is Kwasi Kwarteng?
  • Options

Kwasi, though bright, is a bit of an Old Etonian silly billy.
  • Options
    Early Day Motion 454 now has 238 signatures. Blimey, I might have to vote Labour!
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    Speedy said:

Who is Kwasi Kwarteng?
    Old Etonian MP for Spelthorne elected in 2010.
  • Options
    edited December 2014

rcs1000 said:

My more serious answer is that I believe very strongly in limiting the powers of the state... I realise that not many share my views: but I think the real problem is that we have come to see the government as the solutions to our problems, when so often it is the cause of them...

On the topic of near-absolute power being given to our governments, paradoxically I wonder if that's the one saving grace of our system, from a libertarian perspective. They can do just about anything. But the next parliament can also do that. So in practice, as long as there is more than one strong party, the political games should mean they can keep cancelling each other out. Small majorities either way (or two party coalitions) should keep things nicely paralysed due to infighting and let individuals slide through the middle without too much extra interference. There's a cost to continually adapting to the change of course, but it rather stops them doing anything too crazy & extreme given that the electoral centre of gravity holds politicians in low enough esteem to not let them get away with too much.
    You're forgetting that policy in many areas is now set at an EU level rather than a UK level, so our general elections do not produce a change in policy.

• Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,292
    edited December 2014
    I love the way everybody is a "senior Tory". This guy has been in parliament since 2010, in what way is he senior?

The handful of Tories that haven't ever been described as senior or grandee must feel really left out.
  • Options
    Here's the Sun YouGov poll on Ozzy and the economy

After big improvements, he is now back down to a -8 approval rating, having posted -3 in March.........In March, 39% said they expected the economy to get better over the next 12 months and only 23% said it would get worse.

But now, just 25% think it will improve and 32% expect it to get worse again

But the poll also revealed Mr Osborne still enjoys a 13 point lead over Labour opposite number Ed Balls - now 36% versus 23%, having only slipped one point since March.
  • Options
    Balls says government have “failed every test and broken every promise” on the economy
  • Options
    JohnO said:

It was said of him in the past, that he is commendably if recklessly honest
  • Options

Balls says government have “failed every test and broken every promise” on the economy

He would say that, wouldn't he?
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,292
    edited December 2014
    Here is the Indy scoop...I am sure it will be blown up, but sounds like the guy was saying in a private meeting there is no money, so if you are serious about balancing the books nothing can be ring fenced...and?

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/autumn-statement-cameron-will-have-to-cut-nhs-spending-warns-senior-tory-9899136.html
  • Options
    JohnO said:

You'll confuse him.
  • Options

JohnO said:

You'll confuse him.
    I'm going balls deep on Spurs winning tomorrow.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,072
    JohnO said:

While at university, I was friends with Tristram Hunt, Kwasi Kwarteng, and Gavin Barwell.

Kwasi went on to work with another friend of mine, Crispin Odey, and I have enormous respect for hours intelligence, and do not doubt his sincerity one bit.
  • Options
    Bobajob_Bobajob_ Posts: 195

Here's the Sun YouGov poll on Ozzy and the economy

After big improvements, he is now back down to a -8 approval rating, having posted -3 in March.........In March, 39% said they expected the economy to get better over the next 12 months and only 23% said it would get worse.

But now, just 25% think it will improve and 32% expect it to get worse again

But the poll also revealed Mr Osborne still enjoys a 13 point lead over Labour opposite number Ed Balls - now 36% versus 23%, having only slipped one point since March.

Feel good factor from +16 to -7?
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    JohnO said:

The Spectator said that too though, in a rare attack on Osborne this week:
    http://blogs.spectator.co.uk/coffeehouse/2014/12/in-graphs-george-osborne-fought-the-debt-and-the-debt-won/
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    rcs1000 said:

JohnO said:

While at university, I was friends with Tristram Hunt, Kwasi Kwarteng, and Gavin Barwell.

Kwasi went on to work with another friend of mine, Crispin Odey, and I have enormous respect for hours intelligence, and do not doubt his sincerity one bit.
    Don't doubt what you say for a second but it's interesting that he remains on the backbenches (unlike Barwell) with little sign of preferment ahead.
  • Options
    Moses_Moses_ Posts: 4,865

Is that the Ed Balls that shouted about a triple dip, the loss of a million jobs and a collapse in the British economy! That Ed Balls?
  • Options

JohnO said:

You'll confuse him.
    I'm already there so you'll have to wait your turn. ... 1990 Lineker, 2014 bobby sol...
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,168
    ChokinCase The ceiling of support for a party which cuts spending and taxes for the rich, legalises gay marriage and is pro immigration and civil liberties is about 10-15%, as Clegg's LDs are now discovering!
  • Options
    Sore losers, those chippy Nats.
  • Options
    edited December 2014

rcs1000 said:

You're forgetting that policy in many areas is now set at an EU level rather than a UK level, so our general elections do not produce a change in policy.
    I'm not; that's why I said that if you feel EU oversight is the main problem driving lack of liberty, then you'll tend to vote UKIP. It's not a bad argument; I can see its merits, have thought about it, and agree with it to a fairly large extent.

However, fundamentally, I don't find UKIP to be a plausible, coherent party yet: they are more of a movement, and with some elements that I would feel very uncomfortable supporting, albeit vicariously. Mind you, I find that the case with every party, but still least with the Tories vs the others. If anything, some of nature of the seepage from Tory to UKIP has probably strengthened their least-worst status in my eyes, but I realise I'm in a minority on that. And I also realise the damage being done to the Tories through that very seepage so it's quite the pyrrhic victory....

Having said all that, I don't let it worry me, since I'm in a constituency that won't change colour unless there's a political earthquake so my vote's irrelevant anyway!
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    JohnO said:

rcs1000 said:

JohnO said:

Don't doubt what you say for a second but it's interesting that he remains on the backbenches (unlike Barswell) with little sign of preferment ahead.
    I thought a politicians job is to lie, not to be honest.
    I believe that is the basis of why he is still in the backbenches,
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

Parliament is still sovereign. It can always vote to leave the EU.

My point is a simple one. At every opportunity, the government attempts to add to its powers : whether through anti terror legislation, or restricting what pornography (carried out by consenting adults) we are allowed to watch.

Some people call this democracy.

But I think the founders of the US constitution got this right. Democracy is too often mob rule. The rights of citizens should always trump the desires of the majority.
  • Options

JohnO said:

You'll confuse him.
    I'm already there so you'll have to wait your turn. ... 1990 Lineker, 2014 bobby sol...
    I have a feeling Spurs are on the up
  • Options
    Moses_ said:

Is that the Ed Balls that shouted about a triple dip, the loss of a million jobs and a collapse in the British economy! That Ed Balls?
    Same one yes.

It is also the same Osbourne that has missed every target he set himself
  • Options
    Danny565Danny565 Posts: 8,091
    edited December 2014

You're not alone.

There are more libertarians out there than the major parties realise. The degree varies, of course. I think the state does have a valid role in things like law & order, defence, diplomacy/foreign policy, key infrastructure and a minimum/safety net approach for health & welfare. That probably makes me a lefty compared to the more fervent libertarians who are close to anarchists! But still very much to libertarian end of the spectrum compared to mainstream party politics in the UK.

No party adequately services voters like us, so we end up reluctantly voting for whichever one perceives as least worst (if you prioritise the economics, probably Tory; if you prioritise the social side, probably LD or Blarite Labour; if you think the lack of liberty is down to EU oversight, probably UKIP).

A party that could pull together all these disparate voters in a truly liberal (economically & socially) coalition could probably do quite well. It would have appeal to a host of people across traditional demographic boundaries. But of course, it's one thing to think that in theory and quite another to make it practical.

We already have that party: Clegg has turned the Lib Dems into the fiscally conservative/small state/socially liberal party. And the result is frequent 5th place in the polls.

There is just very little appetite for the party you describe in my experience: most people who are very in favour of little government intervention when it comes to the economy and public services, are also people who are socially conservative on immigration and other things. While on the other side, most people who are truly socially liberal will also believe in very strong public services and a very big safety net for the poor (even if they're not out-and-out socialists).
  • Options
    kjohnwkjohnw Posts: 1,456
    edited December 2014
    Moses_ said:

quite - triple dip -fail, double dip - fail, unemployment - fail, youth unemployment -fail, too fast too far - fail. labour = wrong about everything
  • Options

JohnO said:

You'll confuse him.
    I have a feeling Spurs are on the up
    Perhaps, more likely we lose 4-0... but like star wars, there is a new hope... for a few hours anyway
  • Options
    Interesting story in the Times, could have implications...

Ukip is “very, very short of money” and has failed to build up a war chest for the general election yet has still granted Nigel Farage a £60,000 annual chauffeur allowance, The Times can reveal.

Stuart Wheeler, the spread-betting millionaire who has bankrolled the party for years and who served as treasurer until July this year, said Ukip “desperately needs more money”.
  • Options

Moses_ said:

Same one yes.

Just ed milibands luck to pick someone with even less credibility than Gideon isn't it???
  • Options
    Artist Stephen Smith recalls Farage was at school with him on newsnight, though unsurprisingly will not be voting for him
  • Options
    @Danny565

Some of us aren't wedded to a political party. We flit according to who best reflects our world view.

Maybe it's UKIP, maybe it's the Conservatives, maybe it's labour, and maybe it's the LibDems or the greens.

The old ukip was a broadly libertarian party. The new one, realistically, not so much.

The LibDems seem to have forgotten about civil liberties, and towed the mi5 line at every opportunity.

The Conservative party has some very smart people. And some spectacularly stupid ones.

And labour. What does labour believe in, anyway?
  • Options

Ukip is “very, very short of money” and has failed to build up a war chest for the general election yet has still granted Nigel Farage a £60,000 annual chauffeur allowance, The Times can reveal.

Stuart Wheeler, the spread-betting millionaire who has bankrolled the party for years and who served as treasurer until July this year, said Ukip “desperately needs more money”.

You don't get the impression that the great Wheeler-Dealer is about to tip up himself ..... yet again.

That 60K per annum Chauffeur must be wonderfully talented.
  • Options
    edited December 2014

Political parties always need/want more money.

Regarding the general election Paul Sykes alone has pledged £1.5m.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/millionaire-donor-paul-sykes-gives-ukip-15m-in-bid-to-win-100-seats-in-parliament-9819415.html

Although he's also said he will stop donating money to UKIP after the election.

http://www.itv.com/news/calendar/2014-11-27/paul-sykes-what-next-for-the-scrap-metal-tycoon-who-became-ukips-biggest-donor/
  • Options

You don't get the impression that the great Wheeler-Dealer is about to tip up himself ..... yet again.

That 60K per annum Chauffeur must be wonderfully talented.
    Nope and neither is Paul Sykes, who has donated millions in the past.

Interesting for the times article, there's a quite a few on the record quotes.

I think there are some Kippers concerned about the management of the party.
  • Options
    You don't get the impression that the great Wheeler-Dealer is about to tip up himself

Come on Sean Fear, Casino Royale, etc., etc. ....... you know you want to ....... divi up ........ someone has to pay for that chauffeur.
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    HYUFD said:

ChokinCase The ceiling of support for a party which cuts spending and taxes for the rich, legalises gay marriage and is pro immigration and civil liberties is about 10-15%, as Clegg's LDs are now discovering!

ChokinVase, not Case. It happened to be what I glanced at when thinking up a username. Mind you, I frequently feel like choking when I read some of the hare-brained schemes politicians come up with so maybe case is appropriate after all.

I have no sympathy for the LDs at all. They are reaping the electoral consequences of spending 20 years pretending to be a totally different party in Conservative vs Labour constituencies. A lot of voters projected their own fantasies onto them and/or used them as a protest vehicle. Now they've had to do the right thing, grow up and make decisions in government, it's not surprising that a lot of their national support vanished. In fact I'm surprised at how much is left. They'll still be hard to unseat in a lot of constituencies because they're a known quantity there, so the "spoiled fantasy" isn't so much of a factor. They'll lose about 30% of seats, but I doubt much more.

Sadly, they have never honestly & passionately sold themselves as a libertarian party, with too many economically interventionist policies in the past, and now their brand is far too damaged by the dissonance to be rebuilt to its former levels for at least 10 years.

But yes, even a libertarian agenda would be a minority interest, maybe about 20%. But I think it would cut right across a lot of traditional demongraphic boundaries, affecting the other parties disproportionately in many marginals. All just a pipe dream, of course...
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

But I think the founders of the US constitution got this right. Democracy is too often mob rule. The rights of citizens should always trump the desires of the majority.

I can't see how you can cite the US - the country of prohibition, segregation, Federal-mandated affirmative action, the NSA and CIA, and McCarthyism - as a particularly good example of your principle.

It does protect the right of its citizens to be killed by guns, though.
  • Options
    edited December 2014

Moses_ said:

Same one yes.

Just ed milibands luck to pick someone with even less credibility than Gideon isn't it???
    Actually, you hit on a good point. I can't help but feel the only reason Balls is still the shadow chancellor is because he's one of the few Labour people who is even less popular than Miliband himself and so is not a threat to him. He's a poor media performer, is neither liked nor respected by the public, is disliked by the party grassroots (he came second from bottom in last week's Labourlist shadowcabinet survey ahead of only Tristram). I suspect Miliband only keeps him there because he fears promoting one of the good people (Cooper or Burnham) would mean more of a threat to Miliband's own position and more unflattering comparisons, even if that comes at the cost of the party's fortunes.
  • Options
    Danny565 said:

Moses_ said:

Same one yes.

Actually, you hit on a good point. I can't help but feel the only reason Balls is still the shadow chancellor is because he's one of the few Labour people who is even less popular than Miliband himself. He's a poor media performer, is neither liked nor respected by the public, is disliked by the party grassroots (he came second from bottom in last week's Labourlist shadowcabinet survey ahead of only Tristram). I suspect Miliband only keeps him there because he fears promoting one of the good people (Cooper or Burnham) would mean more of a threat to Miliband's own position and more unflattering comparisons.
    I get the feeling Ed Miliband has never rated Ed Balls, he was after all his third choice as Shadow Chancellor.

As LBJ said, it's better to have the buggers inside the tent peeing out, instead of outside peeing in.
  • Options

I get the feeling Ed Miliband has never rated Ed Balls.

I think you can be quite certain that the feeling is entirely reciprocated!
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

I can't see how you can cite the US - the country of prohibition, segregation, Federal-mandated affirmative action, the NSA and CIA, and McCarthyism - as a particularly good example of your principle.

I said the founders. I'd point out that the federal government in the US makes the EU look like a bunch of pansies in the way they have used the "inter state commerce" clause to cover extraordinary power grabs.
  • Options
    Bobajob_Bobajob_ Posts: 195

rcs1000 said:

Agreed. The U.S. is a desperately poor example of a free country - this is nation that, in many states, bans the sale of wine in supermarkets. It appears to be libertarian with pain (guns) and authoritarian with pleasure (sex, alcohol). This is of course exactly the wrong way around.
  • Options
    NinoinozNinoinoz Posts: 1,312
    Chapter 3 of Revolt on the Right.

http://bit.ly/1pNPlZj
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    Danny656 The people who are most likely to be libertarian voters are young bankers and entrepreneurs living in central London who want to spend their large paycheques themselves rather than hand substantial parts of them to the government and sleep with who they want and take what drugs they want and have numerous friends from different cultures and countries, in the overall voting population though there are not that many of those
  • Options
    FrankBoothFrankBooth Posts: 9,062

I think that's a little unfair. Gordon Brown, the father of the nation, promised the Scots effective home rule if they voted no. Instead they've had one or two new tax powers proposed.
    They have a point. Looking back it really was quite ludicrous for them to promise the Scots effectively devomax but at the same time say the Scots could keep the Barnett formula! And then we had the preposterous vow.
  • Options
    Danny565 said:

...most people who are very in favour of little government intervention when it comes to the economy and public services, are also people who are socially conservative on immigration and other things. While on the other side, most people who are truly socially liberal will also believe in very strong public services and a very big safety net for the poor (even if they're not out-and-out socialists).

Out of curiosity - no angle, I promise - I'd be very interested to hear the logic behind both these positions i.e. economic liberal/social conservative & economic authoritarian/social liberal.

To my mind, they seem inherently contradictory positions. If you believe in leaving people to their own devices as much as possible, surely that should cut across both economic & social issues. And if you believe people's social choices are important to regulate for the good of society, surely you'd also want to regulate their economic choices for the same reason too. After all, the two are inherently intertwined: if you have wealth, you can create social freedom; if you're poor, you are far more socially restricted. And If you want to redistribute from the wealthy to the poor, then you are necessarily making a judgement on people's relative social value for them rahter than letting the market (i.e. the aggregate of everyone's individual decisions) decide it. It's always seemed simpler to me to divvy things up according to how much you want to interfere in lives, rather than subdividing artificially into economics & social issues. As I said, I know I'm in a minority!! :)
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633

I think that's a little unfair. Gordon Brown, the father of the nation, promised the Scots effective home rule if they voted no. Instead they've had one or two new tax powers proposed.
    They have a point. Looking back it really was quite ludicrous for them to promise the Scots effectively devomax but at the same time say the Scots could keep the Barnett formula! And then we had the preposterous vow.
    Those Nats - rUk rumbled Brown in 2007 - more This Week, less Reporting Scotland...
  • Options
    ChokinVase Apologies for the typing error

I agree Kennedy's and Ashdown's attempts to slot the LDs as 'the leftwing conscience of Labour' has been totally reversed by Clegg's more fiscally conservative stance, but nonetheless as he has also kept their social liberalism he is the closest leader to a libertarian stance at present
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,983
    Much as I like that AJP Taylor quote, I'm not convinced that returning to the minimal State of the late Victorian/Edwardian period is politically feasible. Most people favour a big State, and I can't see that changing. There's no reason why the State couldn't be shrunk. Rich countries are quite capable of providing decent public services on 30-35% of GDP, but persuading people to accept the State pulling back to its limits of 120 years ago isn't feasible.

And a big reason is that 120 years ago, society was very religious. There was no need for legislative control of public behaviour when informal control by the churches was so strong. Likewise, voluntary activity (much of it by churches) covered all sorts of social services that are now done by the State. But that wider religious culture is now long gone, and I can't see anything similar replacing it.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 41,005
    Nick Sutton (@suttonnick)
    02/12/2014 16:30
    William Hill are now taking bets on how long #CameronMustGo will trend. pic.twitter.com/fKlDyvuend
  • Options
    FrankBooth The Scots will now raise about 60% of their revenue from 10% before now income tax has been devolved
  • Options
    ChokinVase That is liberalism, the problem is conservatism wants to preserve private property and traditional values while socialists generally want to redistribute private property while also being more willing to challenge cultural norms
  • Options

Danny565 said:

...most people who are very in favour of little government intervention when it comes to the economy and public services, are also people who are socially conservative on immigration and other things. While on the other side, most people who are truly socially liberal will also believe in very strong public services and a very big safety net for the poor (even if they're not out-and-out socialists).

Out of curiosity - no angle, I promise - I'd be very interested to hear the logic behind both these positions i.e. economic liberal/social conservative & economic authoritarian/social liberal.

To my mind, they seem inherently contradictory positions. If you believe in leaving people to their own devices as much as possible, surely that should cut across both economic & social issues. And if you believe people's social choices are important to regulate for the good of society, surely you'd also want to regulate their economic choices for the same reason too. After all, the two are inherently intertwined: if you have wealth, you can create social freedom; if you're poor, you are far more socially restricted. And If you want to redistribute from the wealthy to the poor, then you are necessarily making a judgement on people's relative social value for them rahter than letting the market (i.e. the aggregate of everyone's individual decisions) decide it. It's always seemed simpler to me to divvy things up according to how much you want to interfere in lives, rather than subdividing artificially into economics & social issues. As I said, I know I'm in a minority!! :)
    The original meaning of social liberalism, 100 years ago, was that people couldn't be truly free until their social needs were met by the State. For Hobhouse and others, there was no contradiction between liberal principles and a big State.

WRT modern attitudes, there are clearly very large numbers of people who favour State intervention in both the economic and social spheres.
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    edited December 2014
    Pong said:

FPT:

AndyJS said:

Would you have a problem with people conducting other bodily functions in a restaurant? If so you need to explain why breast feeding should be judged differently.
  • Options
    FlightpathFlightpath Posts: 4,012

Just what did Brown promise? Was it 'Home Rule'? The parties made their statement pretty plain. Do you not think people read too much into 'Home Rule' anyway? It is devolution with some tax raiing powers and the main UK wide issues still dealt with in Westminster. This is broadly devolution as being promised and broadly similar to the 1911 'Home Rule' proposals in Ireland.

'just a bit silly'? Yes.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

And a big reason is that 120 years ago, society was very religious. There was no need for legislative control of public behaviour when informal control by the churches was so strong. Likewise, voluntary activity (much of it by churches) covered all sorts of social services that are now done by the State. But that wider religious culture is now long gone, and I can't see anything similar replacing it.

I think you're getting the horse and the cart the wrong way around. The rise of the state has diminished the role of the church.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

Much as I like that AJP Taylor quote, I'm not convinced that returning to the minimal State of the late Victorian/Edwardian period is politically feasible. Most people favour a big State, and I can't see that changing. There's no reason why the State couldn't be shrunk. Rich countries are quite capable of providing decent public services on 30-35% of GDP, but persuading people to accept the State pulling back to its limits of 120 years ago isn't feasible.

It wasn't just churches, there was always state (local government) backing for welfare, but the state was not the monopoly provider it is today.

http://www.civitas.org.uk/pdf/cw47.pdf
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Sean_F said:

I think you're getting the horse and the cart the wrong way around. The rise of the state has diminished the role of the church.
    I wouldn't dispute that, either. One of the daftest things the Church of England ever did was to allow so many of its welfare institutions to be absorbed by the State in the 1940s.

• Options

Danny565 said:

You're right that they're contradictory to some extent. What I didn't say in that post is I think the majority position (in this country atleast) is the exact reverse of libertarianism: economically left-wing and socially conservative/authoritarian.

Most people, quite frankly, don't trust humanbeings other than their friends and family. They don't trust that benevolent rich people will step up and fill the void if government stops providing public services, nor do they trust that people if left to their own devices would stop committing crimes/planning terrorism/watching kiddy porn if the government isn't snooping around, stopping people before they can do those things, and cracking down hard on anyone who steps out of line. Much as people right now are furious with the politicians as individuals, I really don't think too many people are protesting against big government as a principle.
  • Options
    NinoinozNinoinoz Posts: 1,312
    AndyJS said:

Pong said:

FPT:

AndyJS said:

Would you have a problem with people conducting other bodily functions in a restaurant? If so you need to explain why breast feeding should be judged differently.
    Baby being fed in a restaurant along with its mother.

Apart from bringing your own food, I can't see anything wrong with it (but then, I am Italian).
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    isam said:

William Hill are now taking bets on how long #CameronMustGo will trend. pic.twitter.com/fKlDyvuend

Long enough for you to have another (legal) orgasm over it? We keep our fingers crossed (no pun intended)
  • Options
    Thanks for the interesting replies from you all to my thoughts and questions. I'm glad to have started posting rather than just lurking. I think I'll try to keep it doing so as and when I get the chance. Maybe not at the more excitable times of day when the threads are more about trading soundbites & slogans between the various armed camps, though. :)
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,459
    edited December 2014
    Ninoinoz said:

AndyJS said:

Pong said:

FPT:

AndyJS said:

Baby being fed in a restaurant along with its mother.

Apart from bringing your own food, I can't see anything wrong with it (but then, I am Italian).
    My (German) boss happily breast-feeds her baby whenever my colleagues and I go out for an evening meal.
  • Options
    SeanF Much of the reason why the US supports a smaller role for the state than most western nations is because it is still relatively religious and Americans tend to give a slightly higher percentage of their income to charity to make up for the lower percentage of their income they pay in taxes
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    Braveheart on Film 4 just ending now with Mel Gibson's cry of 'Freedom!' I imagine those SNP councillors are watching and Alex dreaming of what might have been!
  • Options
    Bobajob_ said:

rcs1000 said:

Agreed. The U.S. is a desperately poor example of a free country - this is nation that, in many states, bans the sale of wine in supermarkets. It appears to be libertarian with pain (guns) and authoritarian with pleasure (sex, alcohol). This is of course exactly the wrong way around.
    You might think Norway is a free country. But it has strict laws about selling alcohol - state owned off licences ('liquor stores') and a high rate of gun ownership legal and illegal. So I do not really see any correllation with these things and state authoritarianism.

Any notion that somehow it is difficult to freely buy alcohol or it is expensive in the USA seems to be wrongheaded - there are plenty opportunities to buy alcohol, and not from state owned stores, and just how is the USA restricting sex activity.
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,227
    AndyJS said:

Pong said:

FPT:

AndyJS said:

People, including a baby, being fed in a restaurant. A normal activity, which you would expect to see in such a place. You would not expect to see people urinating in a restaurant nor would you expect the baby's nappy to be changed at the table.

Really, people worrying about breast feeding need to get a life.

• Options
    isamisam Posts: 41,005
    edited December 2014

isam said:

Long enough for you to have another (legal) orgasm over it? We keep our fingers crossed (no pun intended)
    No pun noticed

First time I've mentioned it, think you are barking

Up the wrong tree

Pun intended
  • Options

HYUFD said:

ChokinVase, not Case. It happened to be what I glanced at when thinking up a username. Mind you, I frequently feel like choking when I read some of the hare-brained schemes politicians come up with so maybe case is appropriate after all.

I have no sympathy for the LDs at all. They are reaping the electoral consequences of spending 20 years pretending to be a totally different party in Conservative vs Labour constituencies. A lot of voters projected their own fantasies onto them and/or used them as a protest vehicle. Now they've had to do the right thing, grow up and make decisions in government, it's not surprising that a lot of their national support vanished. In fact I'm surprised at how much is left. They'll still be hard to unseat in a lot of constituencies because they're a known quantity there, so the "spoiled fantasy" isn't so much of a factor. They'll lose about 30% of seats, but I doubt much more.

Sadly, they have never honestly & passionately sold themselves as a libertarian party, with too many economically interventionist policies in the past, and now their brand is far too damaged by the dissonance to be rebuilt to its former levels for at least 10 years.

But yes, even a libertarian agenda would be a minority interest, maybe about 20%. But I think it would cut right across a lot of traditional demongraphic boundaries, affecting the other parties disproportionately in many marginals. All just a pipe dream, of course...
    The Liberals were probably more libertarian than the Lib Dems since the SDP brought more interventionist ideas to the merged party.

However, the Lib Dems remain right wing on economics and individual freedom whilst left wing on social and welfare issues - which means they can justifiably emphasise right wing economics in the the south and left wing welfare in the north.
  • Options

You don't get the impression that the great Wheeler-Dealer is about to tip up himself

Come on Sean Fear, Casino Royale, etc., etc. ....... you know you want to ....... divi up ........ someone has to pay for that chauffeur.

And you don't have to worry about where it actually goes - big 4x4? driver? body guards? fuel?- its just a Farage allowance. An allowance - no need for messy checking of bills, thats how they treat their EU allowances. ''we just had to pay for it whatever the bills were,''.

Does seem a bit odd, when you see how kippers demand checks on parliamentary expenses, that they throw their own money (well donors) around so blindly.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,369
    AndyJS said:

Pong said:

FPT:

AndyJS said:

Cultures simply differ on what is seen as common public behaviour and what isn't. In some cultures, breast-feeding is seen as no more private than eating, whereas the other things that you suggest are pretty universally seen as inappropriate for a restaurant. Similarly, it's fairly common in parts of Sweden to see people of both sexes going topless about their business in hot weather, without any provocation intended, whereas it'd still raise eyebrows in most of London and cause offence in Tunbridge Wells. Conversely, normal dress in Tunbridge Wells would seem outrageously provocative in parts of Pakistan.

British culture is changing (generally getting less excited by body exposure), and your reaction is common when that happens, but resisting it is a bit like trying to stop people changing language usage. I'm still annoyed by people saying "I'm bored of" instead of "I'm bored by", but I can see I'm going to need to get used to it.

• Options
    isam said:

isam said:

No pun noticed

First time I've mentioned it, think you are barking

Up the wrong tree

Pun intended
    Come off it - there's been endless tittering and obsessing about this twitter fest. To be fair I'm sure we are astounded about its originality.
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    ''Really, people worrying about breast feeding need to get a life.''

.... And learn to look the other way.

• Options
    NP I was Tunbridge Wells born and raised, it is not all old colonels anymore, the centre is actually quite chic and bohemian around the Pantiles, Bexhill may have been a better example
  • Options
    FrankBoothFrankBooth Posts: 9,062

AndyJS said:

Pong said:

FPT:

AndyJS said:

Cultures simply differ on what is seen as common public behaviour and what isn't. In some cultures, breast-feeding is seen as no more private than eating, whereas the other things that you suggest are pretty universally seen as inappropriate for a restaurant. Similarly, it's fairly common in parts of Sweden to see people of both sexes going topless about their business in hot weather, without any provocation intended, whereas it'd still raise eyebrows in most of London and cause offence in Tunbridge Wells. Conversely, normal dress in Tunbridge Wells would seem outrageously provocative in parts of Pakistan.

British culture is changing (generally getting less excited by body exposure), and your reaction is common when that happens, but resisting it is a bit like trying to stop people changing language usage. I'm still annoyed by people saying "I'm bored of" instead of "I'm bored by", but I can see I'm going to need to get used to it.

Didn't know that about Sweden and I think it would do more than raise eyebrows in London. Incidentally why is the capital seen as such a socially liberal place? I know many of the financial and media elite have rather louche morals, but what about the very considerable working class, many of whom are non-white and religious? Don't know too much about Tunbridge other than the bad press it gets.
  • Options
    FB Tonbridge has the school and the castle and the Medway, Tunbridge Wells is the Spa Town, it is a commuter belt town with some good schools, albeit not too exciting, apart from its reputation for angry letter writing colonels am not sure what bad press you refer to?
  • Options
    surbitonsurbiton Posts: 13,549
    AndyJS said:

Pong said:

FPT:

AndyJS said:

Get a life !
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,369

Didn't know that about Sweden and I think it would do more than raise eyebrows in London. Incidentally why is the capital seen as such a socially liberal place? I know many of the financial and media elite have rather louche morals, but what about the very considerable working class, many of whom are non-white and religious? Don't know too much about Tunbridge other than the bad press it gets.

I think it's because you just can't survive in London if you don't shrug off cultural concerns. In an hour's travel you can easily see people in burkas, people wearing almost nothing, people with studs implanted everywhere, people drunk, people shouting into mobiles in various languages, etc etc. - all things that might be disturbing in a small community, but in London you just turn the corner and the scene changes again. I think it's quite fun, personally, but I've noticed even in Nottingham that when I mention some of it casually, people look a bit dubious. Apologies to Tunbridge, though.

Because I travel a lot for my job I have to do a lot of adjusting anyway. When I was last in Moscow, I was using a fairly basic public toilet when a middle-aged woman cleaner walked in briskly and indicated politely to the bloke standing a couple of feet away from me that he should shift along in my direction so she could make a start on cleaning the other end of the urinal. Neither he nor she seemed to think anything odd or embarrassing about it, and he shuffled along obligingly while she got to work with a mop at the far end.

• Options
    Apology accepted and great Moscow story, night!
  • Options
    Quick Yougov EU poll before I head off.

2% In 32% Out (Scotland, London and Midlands and Wales, the North and South Out)
    http://cdn.yougov.com/cumulus_uploads/document/wbz4pttdol/YG-Archive-Pol-Sun-results-011214.pdf
  • Options
    Quick Yougov EU poll before I head off.

42% In 39% Out (Scotland, London and Midlands and Wales, the North and South Out)
    http://cdn.yougov.com/cumulus_uploads/document/wbz4pttdol/YG-Archive-Pol-Sun-results-011214.pdf
  • Options
    Smart move or just a bit silly?

A puerile stunt for the easily lead...
  • Options
    IndigoIndigo Posts: 9,966

Smart move or just a bit silly?

A puerile stunt for the easily lead...

SNP lost two seats on Renfrewshire Council last election, I guess they need the publicity ;-)
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,990
    Just us, Indigo?
  • Options
    IndigoIndigo Posts: 9,966
    Looks like it, its 11am for me to be fair.
This discussion has been closed.