Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Marf on the afternoon before the big by-election

SystemSystem Posts: 11,695
edited November 2014 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Marf on the afternoon before the big by-election

Reminder. Next PB gathering this Friday Nov 21 - the day after Rochester. Usual place - Dirty Dicks opposite Liverpool Street station London from 1830. We are on the first floor right at the back of the pub.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,985
    First?
  • Options
    Disappinted to see that single LibDem humbug in there!
  • Options
    FPT:

Four decades in the EU, and we still have different plugs and sockets - so much for harmonisation. And when do we switch to driving on the right so they don't need to make 2 versions of every car?

That'll only be acceptable if everyone drives on the left, and uses the (clearly superior) British plug.
  • Options
    Expected Result : "UKIP hold, so no change there."
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,961
    LOVE IT !
  • Options
    F1: Bianchi's out of a coma, and breathing unaided.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/formula1/30120317
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,961
    Twenty years ago this would have been a parody in Viz.. now its real life at Oxford University

"A protest group of around 300 people called “What the f**k is 'Abortion Culture'?” appeared on Facebook that promised to “take along some non-destructive but oh so disruptive instruments to help demonstrate to the anti-choicers just what we think of their 'debate'.” We were guilty of promoting "really sh*tty anti-choice rhetoric and probs some cissexism." The foul language indicates how sophisticated the protesters were, while the accusation of cissexism had me reaching for my online urban dictionary. Was I being called a sissy by homophobic feminists? Mais non. Apparently a “cis” is someone who identifies with the same gender that they were born with. So that’s a thing now.

The university’s students’ union also issued a statement that took aim at Brendan and me for being so offensively attached to our God-given genitals: “The Women’s Campaign (WomCam) condemn SFL for holding this debate. It is absurd to think we should be listening to two cisgender men debate about what people with uteruses should be doing with their bodies.” "

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/11239437/Oxford-students-shut-down-abortion-debate.-Free-speech-is-under-assault-on-campus.html
  • Options
    Brilliant cartoon, Marf! Love the sweet jars!
  • Options
    RobD said:

First?

You are "Reckless"!
  • Options
    NeilNeil Posts: 7,983
    isam said:

Twenty years ago this would have been a parody in Viz.. now its real life at Oxford University

Stop the world I want to get off!
  • Options
    FPT: Someone posted a link to a 2004 thread - but I was struck by the adjacent thread. One YouGov a month, and UKIP a "big issue" at 5%.

YouGov shows Labour lead down to 3%
    November 26th, 2004

Slightly better news for Michael Howard

After the NOP and ICM polls showing Labour leads of 8-9% this month’s YouGov poll in the Daily Telegraph has the margin dropping to just 3%. The figures are:-

LAB 35% (-1): CON 32% (n/c): LD 23% (+1): UKIP 5% (n/c)

Compared with the YouGov poll at the start of October the Labour lead has been halved. Today’s poll is also good news for the Lib Dems with it returning to its highest share of the year from the pollster.

[...]

Today’s poll shows the impact that UKIP continues to have on the Tories and this is where, we believe the election will be decided. If UKIP remains at 4-5% then the Tories will continue to struggle and Labour will win a substantial majority.

If Michael Howard and his Australian Campaign Director, Lynton Crosby, can find a way of dealing with the UKIP issue then the outcome will be much closer. They might take some comfort in the fact that YouGov, when tested, does over-state UKIP significantly.

http://www1.politicalbetting.com/index.php/archives/2004/11/26/yougov-shows-labour-lead-down-to-3/
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    Meet Rochester Man, the Conservative's Worst Nightmare

"Rochester Man is normal. Very normal. And for the Conservatives, that’s a big problem.

The trouble with Rochester and Strood, site of a parliamentary by-election on Thursday, is that it is not unusual. Rochester Man doesn't just live in Rochester. He lives in lots of places. Lots of constituencies.

Douglas Carswell's huge Ukip by-election victory in Clacton-on-Sea last month could be written off as a freak event in a very unusual seat. Clacton has the largest concentration in the UK of voters from the group that leans most towards Ukip: older, poorly-qualified, white working-class voters.

Because Clacton was unusual, the Conservatives could reassure themselves, and the media, that Ukip would struggle to repeat the its electoral success in more “normal” constituencies.

That argument will not be tenable if Mark Reckless follows Mr Carswell back into Parliament at his by-election in Rochester. "

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/ukip/11229398/Meet-Rochester-Man-the-Conservatives-worst-nightmare.html
  • Options
    Patrick said:

Disappinted to see that single LibDem humbug in there!

Must be Mark Senior's.
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,877
    isam said:

"A protest group of around 300 people called “What the f**k is 'Abortion Culture'?” appeared on Facebook that promised to “take along some non-destructive but oh so disruptive instruments to help demonstrate to the anti-choicers just what we think of their 'debate'.” We were guilty of promoting "really sh*tty anti-choice rhetoric and probs some cissexism." The foul language indicates how sophisticated the protesters were, while the accusation of cissexism had me reaching for my online urban dictionary. Was I being called a sissy by homophobic feminists? Mais non. Apparently a “cis” is someone who identifies with the same gender that they were born with. So that’s a thing now.

The university’s students’ union also issued a statement that took aim at Brendan and me for being so offensively attached to our God-given genitals: “The Women’s Campaign (WomCam) condemn SFL for holding this debate. It is absurd to think we should be listening to two cisgender men debate about what people with uteruses should be doing with their bodies.” "

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/11239437/Oxford-students-shut-down-abortion-debate.-Free-speech-is-under-assault-on-campus.html

Logical enough, as we have heard so much of transsexualism. One thinks of Gallia Cisalpina and transalpine Gaul.

• Options

RobD said:

First?

You are "Reckless"!
    You saying I have a fat arse?

*titters*
  • Options
    Mr. Isam, I encountered the unusual cisgender term on Twitter. The way to recall is to compare trans- and cisgender with Trans- and Cisalpine Gaul.

I must admit, it seems a bit of an unnecessary term, almost like inventing a word for people who aren't scared of water as a contrast to hydrophobe.
  • Options
    IndigoIndigo Posts: 9,966
    isam said:

As it said in the Guardian a couple of days ago: Feminism is in danger of becoming toxic

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2014/nov/18/feminism-rosetta-scientist-shirt-dapper-laughs-julien-blanc-inequality
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,883
    RobD said:

RobD said:

First?

You are "Reckless"!

*titters*
    Which Cameron wants to kick?

Surely not Rob
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    Neil said:

isam said:

Ha! The great thing is I don't know whether you mean it or are taking the piss!

Typical Cisgender!
  • Options
    SimonStClareSimonStClare Posts: 7,976
    edited November 2014
    Arf – very clever Marf - love the sweetie jars and the lonesome yellow humbug….
  • Options
    FPT (and corrected):

The American's feel patriotic about NASA because its the National Aeronautics & Space Administration. The problem with Europe is it has no demos and no democracy, the population dont feel they are one people, and they dont feel they are in control of their European destiny, they feel is a sump for a very large amount of money which is used to subsidize what seems to them to be undeserving causes. A not untypical comment I hear when talking to people about the EU is "Charity begins at home", its the same reason the government is going to have an uphill task persuading anyone of the merits of its large aid budget taking in countries which have space programs when we dont (linking back to NASA again!)
  • Options
    RobD said:

FPT:

Four decades in the EU, and we still have different plugs and sockets - so much for harmonisation. And when do we switch to driving on the right so they don't need to make 2 versions of every car?

That'll only be acceptable if everyone drives on the left, and uses the (clearly superior) British plug.
    At least English is an official language of the EU! Eligible for Commonwealth memebership :)
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,364
    edited November 2014
    RobD said:

RobD said:

First?

You are "Reckless"!

*titters*
    I was quoting Yoda :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zHAkekdPWdM
  • Options

RobD said:

RobD said:

First?

You are "Reckless"!

*titters*
    Which Cameron wants to kick?

Surely not Rob
    If he did, I'm sure I could fashion my doctoral robes into something like this:

http://i.imgur.com/FTFCgHH.png
  • Options
    Neil said:

isam said:

And, as everyone knows, Viz used to be funny.
  • Options

RobD said:

RobD said:

First?

You are "Reckless"!

*titters*
    I was quoting Yoda :)

www.youtube.com/watch?v=zHAkekdPWdM
    So Yoda was saying I have a fat arse?

Now I'm offended ;)
  • Options
    taffystaffys Posts: 9,753
    Don;t envy Dave this week. A shellacking. Defectors waiting in the wings. sheesh.
  • Options
    taffys said:

Don;t envy Dave this week. A shellacking. Defectors waiting in the wings. sheesh.

Good news for the Save Ed campaign though!
  • Options
    taffys said:

Just so long as we dont all have to sit through another round of bullshit about how he is listening to the public, and how they need to get their message across more clearly, and how the long term plan is going to save the economy. Because he isn't, they won't, and it can't!
  • Options
    Indigo said:

FPT (and corrected):

The American's feel patriotic about NASA because its the National Aeronautics & Space Administration. The problem with Europe is it has no demos and no democracy, the population dont feel they are one people, and they dont feel they are in control of their European destiny, they feel is a sump for a very large amount of money which is used to subsidize what seems to them to be undeserving causes. A not untypical comment I hear when talking to people about the EU is "Charity begins at home", its the same reason the government is going to have an uphill task persuading anyone of the merits of its large aid budget taking in countries which have space programs when we dont (linking back to NASA again!)

Aid to India = £300 million p.a.
    Net aid to the EU = £10,000 million p.a.

:)
  • Options
    Mr. Indigo, I fear your hope will prove vain.

On the plus side, there's a title-deciding race in Abu Dhabi to look forward to. Hopefully Rosberg will snatch victory from the jaws of defeat.
  • Options
    richardDoddrichardDodd Posts: 5,472
    I think Dave will shake off the shellacking..and get on with the job..
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,872

O/T I don't know if anyone read the news item in the Times about how Seals like to rape King Penguins.

Scientists initially wondered if this was because Seals mistook King Penguins for other seals, but decided this couldn't be the case, because:-

a) Seals don't look King Penguins

b) After they've done the nasty, the Seals eat the King Penguins.

• Options
    edited November 2014

Aid to India = £300 million p.a.
    Net aid to the EU = £10,000 million p.a.

:)

Which like saying cutting your finger off and giving it to India is an improvement on cutting your arm off and giving it to Brussels!
  • Options

FPT John O, yes, Brian Coleman joining UKIP would be a nightmare.
  • Options
    isam said:

Neil said:

isam said:

Typical Cisgender!
    isam said:

Neil said:

isam said:

Typical Cisgender!
    I read a piece by a feminist blogger asserting that there are no fewer than 7 genders.

• Options
    Sean_F said:

O/T I don't know if anyone read the news item in the Times about how Seals like to rape King Penguins.

Scientists initially wondered if this was because Seals mistook King Penguins for other seals, but decided this couldn't be the case, because:-

It gives a whole new angle to the "blown a seal" joke.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    @kiranstacey: Fascinating Survation poll in Stockton South - Ukip up 15 points since 2010 - none of which has come fro the Tories: http://t.co/H0evhCnRT5
  • Options

Mr. Indigo, I fear your hope will prove vain.

:(

One vote going free to the first party that treats me like an adult and tells us how it really is, and what the choices are. Preferably one that stays away from the same old platitudes and nostrums. I am sure Nige is getting a load of votes because people think he is more authentic (he probably isn't, but the illusion works), and dont get the continuous impression of being treated like a mushroom.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

isam said:

Neil said:

isam said:

Typical Cisgender!
    isam said:

Neil said:

isam said:

Typical Cisgender!
    I read a piece by a feminist blogger asserting that there are no fewer than 7 genders.

Perhaps a remake of 7 brides for 7 brothers is in order?

• Options
    Sean_F said:

F*cking Penguins?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dg0vizpfB7k
  • Options
    chestnutchestnut Posts: 7,341
    Scott_P said:

@kiranstacey: Fascinating Survation poll in Stockton South - Ukip up 15 points since 2010 - none of which has come fro the Tories: http://t.co/H0evhCnRT5

Stockton South is now a Tory Hold?

That's Labour Target 7.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

The Conservatives are 9/4 in that seat with Paddy Power.
  • Options
    taffystaffys Posts: 9,753
    Fascinating Survation poll in Stockton South - Ukip up 15 points since 2010 - none of which has come fro the Tories

If I read that correctly, the cons would actually hold the seat despite the UKIP surge.
  • Options
    SpeedySpeedy Posts: 12,100
    chestnut said:

Scott_P said:

That's Labour Target 7.
    Last Ashcroft poll had it:
    CON 35, LAB 38, UKIP 19, LD 4

Survation has it:
    CON 39, LAB 37, UKIP 18, LD 3

Pretty similar numbers, lets say too close to call.
  • Options
    Mr. Indigo, the most impressive party political I saw for the European elections was from the Pirate Party, but I don't think they stood in my region.

As it is, my plan remains to do my best to thwart the prospect of Balls holding his seat, though I suspect it'll prove a vain endeavour.
  • Options
    EasterrossEasterross Posts: 1,915
    Afternoon all and do any of you think the Labour vote could fall below 10% at Rochester tomorrow?
  • Options
    Very interesting:

Britain Elects
    @britainelects
    Stockton South constituency poll (Survation):
    CON - 39% (-)
    LAB - 37% (-1)
    UKIP - 18% (+15)
    GRN - 3% (+3)
    LDEM - 3% (-12)
  • Options
    Who was it that said Nicky Morgan was a good minister ?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2840796/Rural-school-denied-grade-Ofsted-inspectors-s-English-not-diverse-enough.html

"Rural school is denied top grade by Ofsted inspectors because it's 'too English' and not diverse enough"

Total Idiocy.

• Options
    Scott_P said:

Totes Amazeballs!!

Except 35% of it came from 2010 Tories
  • Options
    Speedy said:

chestnut said:

Scott_P said:

That's Labour Target 7.

Survation has it:

I'll happily bet at 9/4 on a coin toss.
  • Options

Afternoon all and do any of you think the Labour vote could fall below 10% at Rochester tomorrow?

If it falls bellow 10% any of these two can happen:
    Greens beating Labour.
    Or UKIP with a majority greater than 10000.
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,502
    taffys said:

I'm pretty sure nothing really gets through that carapace of unwarranted self regard. He will probably congratulate himself on further detoxifying the party.
  • Options
    On topic -poor Lib Dems with their single gobstopper.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,539
    edited November 2014
    There's a mahoosive typo/mistake in the Survation release.

Anyone else spotted it?
  • Options
    Indigo said:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2840796/Rural-school-denied-grade-Ofsted-inspectors-s-English-not-diverse-enough.html

"Rural school is denied top grade by Ofsted inspectors because it's 'too English' and not diverse enough"

Total Idiocy.

It's certainly total idiocy to blame Nicky Morgan for an individual decision that will have been made about 10,000 grades below her.
  • Options
    Ashcroft sampled Stockton between 26/6 and 4/7. The new numbers are broadly consistent with the Lab-Con swingback since then.

• Options

Very interesting:

Britain Elects
    @britainelects
    CON - 39% (-)
    LAB - 37% (-1)
    UKIP - 18% (+15)
    GRN - 3% (+3)
    LDEM - 3% (-12)

Most interesting thing, the Tories replace exactly the amount they are losing to UKIP with the LD, thanks to no 2010 LD going to UKIP:
    CON: 79% 2010 CON, 5% 2010 LAB, 25% 2010 LD
    UKIP: 16% 2010 CON, 12% 2010 LAB, 3% 2010 LD
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,288
    edited November 2014
    Sean_F said:

The sexual life of a fur seal is stranger than anyone thinks,
    at the height of the mating season it tries to roger a king penguin....

naw - sphinx.
  • Options
    The fact that Survation carrying out a poll for UNITE has the Tories ahead in one of its most marginal seats must give heart to a number of Tory MPs.
    antifrank said:

Speedy said:

chestnut said:

Scott_P said:

That's Labour Target 7.

Survation has it:

• Options
    chestnut said:

Ashcroft sampled Stockton between 26/6 and 4/7. The new numbers are broadly consistent with the Lab-Con swingback since then.

Not really, the numbers are very similar with the Ashcroft poll.
    And the tiny difference could be due to methodology.
  • Options
    ArtistArtist Posts: 1,882
    38% undecided in that Survation poll seems very high.
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,125
    Speedy said:

Very interesting:

Britain Elects
    @britainelects
    CON - 39% (-)
    LAB - 37% (-1)
    UKIP - 18% (+15)
    GRN - 3% (+3)
    LDEM - 3% (-12)

Most interesting thing, the Tories replace exactly the amount they are losing to UKIP with the LD, thanks to no 2010 LD going to UKIP:
    Most interesting -remember that a lot of Ashcroft' s earlier polls are now out of date. However, if Labour missed this they'd certainly not be on course to win next year. One awaits Big John Owls Baxtering with amusement.
  • Options

taffys said:

I'm pretty sure nothing really gets through that carapace of unwarranted self regard. He will probably congratulate himself on further detoxifying the party.
    Nothing like a politician for self-kidology. Tories 10 point below where they were two years ago, so obviously the detoxification is working. When he has the party down to the bedrock with a 10% vote, he will do doubt consider it has been purified. Roger would approve, much better to be pure in opposition that be affected by the trappings of government as we heard earlier.

I dont think many UKIP voters particularly like Farage or his policies, but what they feel more than anything else at the moment is a burning contempt for the political classes, they feel the augean stables are in need of a damn good cleaning. Which is why UKIP are immune to challenges on their policies, no one cares what they are, they just want to see Dave lose the elections and the tories implode, and then Ed try and run a socialist government in the teeth of a record deficit and impending economic storm, shortly followed by Labour imploding as well. After a couple of beers I can see the appeal.
  • Options
    Speedy said:

Very interesting:

Britain Elects
    @britainelects
    CON - 39% (-)
    LAB - 37% (-1)
    UKIP - 18% (+15)
    GRN - 3% (+3)
    LDEM - 3% (-12)

Also of interest here is the LD score. They could be the big story next May and not in a good way.
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    antifrank said:

Indigo said:

Total Idiocy.

It's certainly total idiocy to blame Nicky Morgan for an individual decision that will have been made about 10,000 grades below her.
    Based on policies she set. Politicians set policies, officials carry them out, the buck stops on her desk.
  • Options

Mr. Isam, I encountered the unusual cisgender term on Twitter. The way to recall is to compare trans- and cisgender with Trans- and Cisalpine Gaul.

I must admit, it seems a bit of an unnecessary term, almost like inventing a word for people who aren't scared of water as a contrast to hydrophobe.

Er, hydrophile?

The thing about cis/trans is that the term "cis" already existed, as you point out, it's simply its use in relation to gender that is new.
  • Options
    Speedy said:

That's one hypothesis I suppose. It seems to ignore the obvious movement in the national numbers though.
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    felix said:

Speedy said:

Very interesting:

Britain Elects
    @britainelects
    CON - 39% (-)
    LAB - 37% (-1)
    UKIP - 18% (+15)
    GRN - 3% (+3)
    LDEM - 3% (-12)

Most interesting -remember that a lot of Ashcroft' s earlier polls are now out of date. However, if Labour missed this they'd certainly not be on course to win next year. One awaits Big John Owls Baxtering with amusement.
    They could not win Stockton South and win the other 37 Tory marginals that Labour is ahead in the constituency polls.
  • Options
    OblitusSumMeOblitusSumMe Posts: 9,143
    edited November 2014

In Clacton Labour retained about 4/9ths of their GE2010 vote share. A similar performance in Rochester and Strood would see their vote share reduced to about 12.8%.

It's definitely possible that they will go below 10%, but I would be mildly surprised.
  • Options
    Indigo said:

antifrank said:

Indigo said:

Total Idiocy.

Based on policies she set. Politicians set policies, officials carry them out, the buck stops on her desk.
    Not so. Ministers are not involved in that level of detail and you forget she's only been in post a few weeks. Conclusion: Your comment was idiotic.
  • Options
    antifrank said:

Indigo said:

Total Idiocy.

Looks like a Tory infight then

"Tory MP for Gainsborough Sir Edward Leigh said: 'This is political correctness gone mad.

'Middle Rasen Primary School is an outstanding school by any standards, and Melonie Brunton is a brilliant headteacher - I back the school and its head one-hundred percent.

'Just last week I wrote to Nicky Morgan, the Education Secretary, objecting strenuously to the new so-called 'equality' regulations she is implementing in schools.

'Conservatives have always stood for freeing our schools from the deadening hand of state-enforced orthodoxy.

'Why there has been such a massive U-turn under Nicky Morgan is inexplicable to me"

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2840796/Rural-school-denied-grade-Ofsted-inspectors-s-English-not-diverse-enough.html#ixzz3JXHQB3h9
    Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook
  • Options
    chestnut said:

Speedy said:

That's one hypothesis I suppose. It seems to ignore the obvious movement in the national numbers though.
    The Tories haven't gone up 4% in the national polls since the summer and Labour have not fallen 1% since the summer.
    So comparing the almost non existent movement, between 2 different pollsters with different methodologies, of a constituency poll with national polls, is scientific garbage.
  • Options
    Mr. Me, no. That would be someone who likes water, not who is not afraid of it.

Don't know if this went through, but when I was at university I heard some wanted to create a condition term to describe someone who doesn't have hypochondria.

Some people have too much time to waste on nonsense.
  • Options
    felix said:

Indigo said:

antifrank said:

Indigo said:

Total Idiocy.

Not so. Ministers are not involved in that level of detail and you forget she's only been in post a few weeks. Conclusion: Your comment was idiotic.
    "Tory MP for Gainsborough Sir Edward Leigh said: 'This is political correctness gone mad.

'Middle Rasen Primary School is an outstanding school by any standards, and Melonie Brunton is a brilliant headteacher - I back the school and its head one-hundred percent.

'Just last week I wrote to Nicky Morgan, the Education Secretary, objecting strenuously to the new so-called 'equality' regulations she is implementing in schools.

'Conservatives have always stood for freeing our schools from the deadening hand of state-enforced orthodoxy.

'Why there has been such a massive U-turn under Nicky Morgan is inexplicable to me"

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2840796/Rural-school-denied-grade-Ofsted-inspectors-s-English-not-diverse-enough.html#ixzz3JXHQB3h9
  • Options
    ArtistArtist Posts: 1,882
    edited November 2014

In Clacton Labour retained about 4/9ths of their GE2010 vote share. A similar performance in Rochester and Strood would see their vote share reduced to about 12.8%.

It's definitely possible.
    8/11 for Labour to poll under 15.0% with Ladbrokes
  • Options
    Speedy said:

felix said:

Speedy said:

Very interesting:

Britain Elects
    @britainelects
    CON - 39% (-)
    LAB - 37% (-1)
    UKIP - 18% (+15)
    GRN - 3% (+3)
    LDEM - 3% (-12)

They could not win Stockton South and win the other 37 Tory marginals that Labour is ahead in the constituency polls.
    Not totally following that comment!?!
  • Options

There's a mahoosive typo/mistake in the Survation release.

Anyone else spotted it?

Instead of UKIP did they put PDTP (pig dog traitor party)??

.... I'll get my coat.
  • Options
    NinoinozNinoinoz Posts: 1,312
    Indigo said:

taffys said:

Nothing like a politician for self-kidology. Tories 10 point below where they were two years ago, so obviously the detoxification is working. When he has the party down to the bedrock with a 10% vote, he will do doubt consider it has been purified. Roger would approve, much better to be pure in opposition that be affected by the trappings of government as we heard earlier.

I dont think many UKIP voters particularly like Farage or his policies, but what they feel more than anything else at the moment is a burning contempt for the political classes, they feel the augean stables are in need of a damn good cleaning. Which is why UKIP are immune to challenges on their policies, no one cares what they are, they just want to see Dave lose the elections and the tories implode, and then Ed try and run a socialist government in the teeth of a record deficit and impending economic storm, shortly followed by Labour imploding as well. After a couple of beers I can see the appeal.
    After a couple of beers is the state Ukippers are in for good portion of their evenings, so perhaps that's the key to Farage's support.
  • Options
    felix said:

Indigo said:

antifrank said:

Indigo said:

Total Idiocy.

That isnt how Edward Leigh MP sees it. He objected to her to the policies she was implementing, read the article.

• Options

Er, hydrophile?

The thing about cis/trans is that the term "cis" already existed, as you point out, it's simply its use in relation to gender that is new.
    Wel 'phill' implies an active interest in a particular thing. Perhaps aquaagnostic?
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,352
    Sean_F said:

isam said:

Neil said:

isam said:

Typical Cisgender!
    isam said:

Neil said:

isam said:

Typical Cisgender!

Why?
  • Options
    Speedy said:

chestnut said:

The weighted base is less than 600. Margin of error is bigger than difference between the two polls.

Anyone care to calculate what the margin of error is on the 2010 Lib Dem subsample?
  • Options
    Speedy said:

The Tories haven't gone up 4% in the national polls since the summer and Labour have not fallen 1% since the summer.
    So comparing the almost non existent movement, between 2 different pollsters with different methodologies, of a constituency poll with national polls, is scientific garbage.

So, to summarise - you don't like the idea that Ed could easily be losing in the North East in marginal seat 7.

• Options
    DavidL said:

Sean_F said:

isam said:

Neil said:

isam said:

Typical Cisgender!
    isam said:

Neil said:

isam said:

Typical Cisgender!

Why?
    DavidL said:

Sean_F said:

isam said:

Neil said:

isam said:

Typical Cisgender!
    isam said:

Neil said:

isam said:

Typical Cisgender!

Why?
    I couldn't really follow the argument.

• Options
    isam said:

felix said:

Indigo said:

antifrank said:

Indigo said:

Total Idiocy.

None of that makes sense until we see Morgan's reply. Nor to anyone with knowledge of schools and OFSTED for the past 15 years. I suspect most will sympathise with the school but to pretend it has anything to do with the new SOS is pretty stupid and entirely consistent for Leigh.
  • Options
    antifrank said:

Speedy said:

chestnut said:

Scott_P said:

That's Labour Target 7.

Survation has it:

Yes, I happily have £20 on this particular coin toss :)
  • Options

Mr. Me, no. That would be someone who likes water, not who is not afraid of it.

Don't know if this went through, but when I was at university I heard some wanted to create a condition term to describe someone who doesn't have hypochondria.

Some people have too much time to waste on nonsense.

Ah, yes, see the distinction now. Thanks.
  • Options
    Rexel56Rexel56 Posts: 807
    antifrank said:

Indigo said:

Total Idiocy.

And total idiocy to say the school was graded 'good' and not 'outstanding' because it is 'too English'. The report simply doesn't say that and to use quotes is thoroughly misleading. The school was not rated outstanding on any single criteria but should be congratulated for bettering it's 'needs improvement' assessment rather than being dragged into this row.

• Options
    Indigo said:

felix said:

Indigo said:

antifrank said:

Indigo said:

Total Idiocy.

That isnt how Edward Leigh MP sees it. He objected to her to the policies she was implementing, read the article.

You're in good company with Sir Edward - he's not the sharpest pencil in the box either.
  • Options

Speedy said:

chestnut said:

The weighted base is less than 600. Margin of error is bigger than difference between the two polls.

Anyone care to calculate what the margin of error is on the 2010 Lib Dem subsample?
    The Lib Dems swinging to the Tories in THIS seat makes sense.
  • Options
    Indigo said:

taffys said:

Well I agree about the Augean Stables (never was a metaphor more apt), but I happen to like Farage, and his policies. Sorry (not sorry) if that offends, but I fail to see what is less than eminently sensible about controlling our borders, or indeed withdrawing from the moribund EU. And like many supporters, the louder and more insistent the shreiks from 'mainstream' media and politicians against UKIP grow, the more I will be convinced.
  • Options
    RobD said:

Er, hydrophile?

Wel 'phill' implies an active interest in a particular thing. Perhaps aquaagnostic?
    Hydrognostic is a bit easier to say, as is aquaneutral - though the latter sounds like the sort of thing you'd hear in an advert for a facial cream so my immediate reaction to it is "Ugh!"
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    Rexel56 said:

antifrank said:

Indigo said:

Total Idiocy.

And total idiocy to say the school was graded 'good' and not 'outstanding' because it is 'too English'. The report simply doesn't say that and to use quotes is thoroughly misleading. The school was not rated outstanding on any single criteria but should be congratulated for bettering it's 'needs improvement' assessment rather than being dragged into this row.

Don't think anyone has been arguing about that, just about what Nicky Morgan's role in this was/is.
  • Options
    Ninoinoz said:

Indigo said:

taffys said:

After a couple of beers is the state Ukippers are in for good portion of their evenings, so perhaps that's the key to Farage's support.
    You shouldn't knock it -it's the only way anyone's going to derive any humour from posts like this.

• Options

RobD said:

Er, hydrophile?

Hydrognostic is a bit easier to say, as is aquaneutral - though the latter sounds like the sort of thing you'd hear in an advert for a facial cream so my immediate reaction to it is "Ugh!"
    I just wanted to apologies for the number of typos in my comment! Stupid iPhone.
  • Options
    Artist said:

It's definitely possible.
    8/11 for Labour to poll under 15.0% with Ladbrokes
    Shadsy's got it just about right, as usual.

Labour scarcely bothered but they do have a decent candidate so she may hold the vote up. Low teens would be a decent result for her.

• Options
    Mr. Me, gnostic means 'knowing'. It's agnosis/agnostic which conveys uncertainty.

[I know this is incredibly pedantic, but that doesn't mean I'm not enjoying this odd tangent].

Hydragnostic sounds like knowledge of hydras, though. [Which linsk nicely to the Augean stables comment below].
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,352
    Sean_F said:

DavidL said:

Sean_F said:

isam said:

Neil said:

isam said:

Typical Cisgender!
    isam said:

Neil said:

isam said:

Typical Cisgender!

Why?
    DavidL said:

Sean_F said:

isam said:

Neil said:

isam said:

Typical Cisgender!
    isam said:

Neil said:

isam said:

Typical Cisgender!

Why?
    I couldn't really follow the argument.

I meant why did you think the piece was likely to be worth reading in the first place? These people really in a world of their own. Their true genius is getting other people to pay for it on the basis that they are doing something useful.
This discussion has been closed.