Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » If there were a Newark by-election…

2»

Comments

• Options
    MikeKMikeK Posts: 9,053
    edited May 2013
    Anorak said:

Pulpstar said:

Socrates said:

isam said:

antifrank said:

Matthew Parrish on UKIP:

http://www.spectator.co.uk/columnists/matthew-parris/8921021/why-ukip-is-a-party-of-extremists/

The spirit of Ukippery is paranoid. It distorts and simplifies the world, perceiving a range of different ills and difficulties as all proceeding from two sources: foreigners abroad, and in Britain a ‘metropolitan liberal elite’ (typically thought to be in league with foreigners). None of the problems it identifies (with immigration, with EU bureaucracy, with the cost of the EU, with the ambitions of some Europeanists, with political correctness, with health-and-safety, with human rights legislation etc) are anything less than real; but to the un-extremist mind they need to be tackled ad hoc, one by one, rather than seen as the hydra-headed expression of a single monster.

Matthew Parris is far too polite about UKIP. Though he correctly identifies that it is actuated in the same manner as a psychiatric disorder rather than a political school of thought.
    Antifrank continues a long line of notable anti-democrats who thought the best way to deal with alternative views to their own was to condemn their opponents as mentally disturbed. I do think all of AF's views should be regarded in the light of that admission.
    Im seeing a link here...

(Left of centre politically + 2nd home abroad) = Treat the working class like dirt
    Is antifrank left of centre? Doesn't he believe in dismantling the welfare state? (I may be confusing his views with rcs...)
    I have Antifrank down as a classical liberal with an internationalist viewpoint. Yourself as an anti-EU libertarian and iSam as a conservative (Though definitely not a Conservative ! ).
    Whereas you appear to be a horse. Takes all sorts...
    Take the reins Anorak!

• Options
    AnorakAnorak Posts: 6,621
    MikeK said:

Anorak said:

Pulpstar said:

Socrates said:

isam said:

antifrank said:

Matthew Parrish on UKIP:

http://www.spectator.co.uk/columnists/matthew-parris/8921021/why-ukip-is-a-party-of-extremists/

The spirit of Ukippery is paranoid. It distorts and simplifies the world, perceiving a range of different ills and difficulties as all proceeding from two sources: foreigners abroad, and in Britain a ‘metropolitan liberal elite’ (typically thought to be in league with foreigners). None of the problems it identifies (with immigration, with EU bureaucracy, with the cost of the EU, with the ambitions of some Europeanists, with political correctness, with health-and-safety, with human rights legislation etc) are anything less than real; but to the un-extremist mind they need to be tackled ad hoc, one by one, rather than seen as the hydra-headed expression of a single monster.

Matthew Parris is far too polite about UKIP. Though he correctly identifies that it is actuated in the same manner as a psychiatric disorder rather than a political school of thought.
    Antifrank continues a long line of notable anti-democrats who thought the best way to deal with alternative views to their own was to condemn their opponents as mentally disturbed. I do think all of AF's views should be regarded in the light of that admission.
    Im seeing a link here...

(Left of centre politically + 2nd home abroad) = Treat the working class like dirt
    Is antifrank left of centre? Doesn't he believe in dismantling the welfare state? (I may be confusing his views with rcs...)
    I have Antifrank down as a classical liberal with an internationalist viewpoint. Yourself as an anti-EU libertarian and iSam as a conservative (Though definitely not a Conservative ! ).
    Whereas you appear to be a horse. Takes all sorts...
    Take the reins Anorak!

I....well....erm.

No. What you get up to in your spare time is up to you, of course. But no.
  • Options
    Michael Adebowale will appear at 10 am on Monday at the Central Criminal Court (Court no. 1) via prison video link for a decision on whether to remand him in custody or on bail. The court will be constituted by the Honourable Mr Justice Sweeney, who presided in the trial of R v Huhne and Pryce earlier this year. There is no guarantee, however, that Sweeney J will try the case.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    Sean_F said:

In his days as an MP, and as a young man, Matthew Parris would have identified very closely with the sort of people who now vote UKIP. I suppose that once you start living among Davos men, you adopt their outlook.

He's said in the past how uncomfortable he found it being an (in the closet) gay MP in the Tory party. I doubt he would have enjoyed the company of many UKIP supporters.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,133
    Charles said:

Sean_F said:

In his days as an MP, and as a young man, Matthew Parris would have identified very closely with the sort of people who now vote UKIP. I suppose that once you start living among Davos men, you adopt their outlook.

He's said in the past how uncomfortable he found it being an (in the closet) gay MP in the Tory party. I doubt he would have enjoyed the company of many UKIP supporters.
    That fact doesn't disprove Sean_F's assertion. If he could tolerate it then why would it have prevented him from aligning with UKIP now?
This discussion has been closed.