Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Marf’s cartoon for Monday night

SystemSystem Posts: 11,707
edited November 2014 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Marf’s cartoon for Monday night

politicalbetting.com is proudly powered by WordPress
with "Neat!" theme. Entries (RSS) and Comments (RSS).

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    MikeKMikeK Posts: 9,053
    First I think! ;)))
  • Options
    2nd
  • Options
    volcanopetevolcanopete Posts: 2,078
    The race to the bottom.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,408
    FPT

The tories are struggling to seal the deal. They are not really picking up support, only Labour's decline is reducing the lead. But every time the tories get a small lead it swings back to Labour.

After numerous attempts one has to ask why. And the answer is surely that the majority of people don't like this government very much. They don't like the choice either. But every time they start to look like they have made that choice they have second thoughts.

At the last election the tories had a lead of 8%. Less than that and they will probably start to lose marginal seats. I say probably because UKIP do have the prospect of making them more efficient in terms of seat wins. At the moment a lead of considerably less than that looks very likely. It just does not seem to matter how crap Ed gets. They can't break away.
  • Options
    Paul_Mid_BedsPaul_Mid_Beds Posts: 1,409
    edited November 2014
    That Tory election leaflet in full:

"If you vote UKIP the following will happen. Verily.:

1) Water will turn into Blood (Labour Red Blood at that, not blue Tory blood)
    2) There will be a plague of Frogs [shurely shome mishtake UKIP are anti immigration? Ed]
    3) Plague of Lice (Faragensis lousis)
    4) Plague of Flies [or is that drones. Ed?]
    5) Terrible plague on all your livestock (we told you this would happen in 2001 if Labour won but you didn't listen- and it did)
    6) Plague of Boils (because UKIP will abolish the NHS and charge you to treat them. Oh Yes.)
    7) Thunderstorms, hail and fire (according to Mr Fish)
    8) Plague of Locusts [See 2. Ed]
    9) Darkness will be on the land [What do you expect in the middle of November? Ed]
    10) Death of all firstborn in Rochester [You're fired. Ed] "
  • Options
    As to "If UKIP win then houseprices will fall"

Good. I don't intend to move and if I did it would be to a bigger place so a house price crash will lower the differential. Also I have several children, a house price crash is the best news I could hope for for them.

The only people who benefit from high house prices are spoilt brats getting inheritances and the government who hoover up inheritance tax and pay out less in care home fees as the higher the price the longer before the victims money runs out.
  • Options

2) There will be a plague of Frogs [shurely shome mishtake UKIP are anti immigration? Ed]
    5) Terrible plague on all your livestock (we told you this would happen in 2001 if Labour won but you didn't listen- and it did)
    6) Plague of Boils (because UKIP will abolish the NHS and charge you to treat them. Oh Yes.)
    9) Darkness will be on the land [What do you expect in the middle of November? Ed]

I like a bit of understatement. Sometimes less is more.
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    DavidL said:

FPT

The tories are struggling to seal the deal. They are not really picking up support, only Labour's decline is reducing the lead. But every time the tories get a small lead it swings back to Labour.

After numerous attempts one has to ask why. And the answer is surely that the majority of people don't like this government very much. They don't like the choice either. But every time they start to look like they have made that choice they have second thoughts.

At the last election the tories had a lead of 8%. Less than that and they will probably start to lose marginal seats. I say probably because UKIP do have the prospect of making them more efficient in terms of seat wins. At the moment a lead of considerably less than that looks very likely. It just does not seem to matter how crap Ed gets. They can't break away.

The problem is that people do not want continued austerity with no real jam at the end of it all. Both major parties are promising it though. The SNP and UKIP can pick up votes by blaming foreigners for the woes, and a magic solution.

Sometimes politicians are punished for lying, but this time they are being punished for (partial) honesty.
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 25,029
    DavidL said:

FPT

It does feel like no one likes any of the parties at the moment. I think this election will not be won by the voters voting for their party to win in but instead by the voters trying keeping the other side out.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,208

Good. I don't intend to move and if I did it would be to a bigger place so a house price crash will lower the differential. Also I have several children, a house price crash is the best news I could hope for for them.

I couldn't agree more. I live near Woking and the house prices have become simply ridiculous. I don't know how much help two buy has added to the madness but the fact that the Tories think that the best way to put out a fire is to pour petrol on it is the main reason I won't vote for them.
  • Options
    JonnyJimmyJonnyJimmy Posts: 2,548
    DavidL said:

FPT

But Ed hasn't got crapper; he's been crap from long before he became Loto. What's changed, and will continue to, is that more and more people will realise that he's crap and that they don't want the weirdo as the man controlling our economy, or the man representing our country on the world stage.

This may not as yet have won the Tories more support, but the closer we get to the election, and people realise the choice they're being asked to make, I'm convinced that it will win the Tories more votes, and cost labour many more through switchers to the greens or UKIP, or to staying at home rather than voting.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,997
    DavidL said:

FPT

True. I don't like this government very much, though I like Labour less.
  • Options

DavidL said:

FPT

The problem is that people do not want continued austerity with no real jam at the end of it all. Both major parties are promising it though. The SNP and UKIP can pick up votes by blaming foreigners for the woes, and a magic solution.

Sometimes politicians are punished for lying, but this time they are being punished for (partial) honesty.
    Oh I think their honesty is extremely partial. On both sides of the fence.

Let's face it: we can't handle the truth. We just can't.
  • Options
    AnorakAnorak Posts: 6,621
    I assume that's Dave and George. Frankly it could be Brown and Miliband. The caricatures need work, I think.

And what trap?
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,994
  • Options
    I like the cartoon, but I wonder where the second panel is?

The one where the Penguin and the Joker get hold of the controls and manage to crash the batmobile into a hospital, then a school, then a queue outside the job centre..
  • Options
    FlightpathFlightpath Posts: 4,012
    edited November 2014
    tlg86 said:

I couldn't agree more. I live near Woking and the house prices have become simply ridiculous. I don't know how much help two buy has added to the madness but the fact that the Tories think that the best way to put out a fire is to pour petrol on it is the main reason I won't vote for them.
    What would falling house prices reflect?
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,058
    edited November 2014
    DavidL said:

FPT

I think you make some very valid points. Whatever successes the government could claim, or argue, not enough people seem to like the government, and they do not fear the alternative enough to maintain the distance between the parties that was there last time. I cannot see how a larger Tory lead could be achieved, even when imagining they will have a lead at all.

And what's worse for them, it seems there is little they can do about it. Entice UKIPers back? Maybe a few, but many have made a great deal out of how much they don't care if Ed M gets in as a result of voting UKIP, others actively want that to destroy the Tories, and every successful by-election win just makes it harder to argue voting UKIP is a wasted choice, so it would be very bold to rely on them switching back in large numbers. Even tacking hard right, which would lose the Tories votes as well, would not entice many such people back, but it's too late and in any case probably pointless to tack further left(centre). Add to that the crowning 'achievement' of this government, economic recovery, looks like falling back as well, or at least months of poor global economic news and likely downgrading of predictions for pace of growth in the UK, and there's very little the Tories can point to as reasons to vote for them, other than the standard lazy tactics which only appeal to the base. Labour can do the same lazy appeal and do much better.

Labour are going to walk this election if they can shore up their Scottish seats.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

I like a bit of understatement. Sometimes less is more.
    But the above is always what we get with a Labour govt ... so for the hard of hearing there is no surprise in expecting it if people vote UKIP.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

DavidL said:

FPT

Fact. In situations like this, we get the political leaders and attendant policies we deserve.
  • Options
    eek said:

DavidL said:

FPT

It does feel like no one likes any of the parties at the moment. I think this election will not be won by the voters voting for their party to win in but instead by the voters trying keeping the other side out.
    That's bad news for the tories. Labour are much better at hating.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,208

tlg86 said:

What would falling house prices reflect?
    That we're not all as rich as we think we are.

• Options
    eekeek Posts: 25,029
    kle4 said:

DavidL said:

FPT

I think you make some very valid points. Whatever successes the government could claim, or argue, not enough people seem to like the government, and they do not fear the alternative enough to maintain the distance between the parties that was there last time. I cannot see how a larger Tory lead could be achieved, even when imagining they will have a lead at all.

And what's worse for them, it seems there is little they can do about it. Entice UKIPers back? Maybe a few, but many have made a great deal out of how much they don't care if Ed M gets in as a result of voting UKIP, others actively want that to destroy the Tories, and every successful by-election win just makes it harder to argue voting UKIP is a wasted choice, so it would be very bold to rely on them switching back in large numbers. Even tacking hard right, which would lose the Tories votes as well, would not entice many such people back, but it's too late and in any case probably pointless to tack further left(centre). Add to that the crowning 'achievement' of this government, economic recovery, looks like falling back as well, or at least months of poor global economic news and likely downgrading of predictions for pace of growth in the UK, and there's very little the Tories can point to as reasons to vote for them, other than the standard lazy tactics which only appeal to the base. Labour can do the same lazy appeal and do much better.

Labour are going to walk this election if they can shore up their Scottish seats.
    Not a chance of Labour shoring up those seats. The SNP played a very smart game over the weekend explicitly ruling out propping up a Conservative Government to remove the biggest reason why SNP / Labour voters would move back to Labour.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

FPT

OTH - the polls give the governing parties about 41 the opposition about 33 and the protest party about 14. Plus the SNP and Green factor. The poll position of the 'government' recovering from an inherited economic mess does not look too bad by historic standards to me.
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    kle4 said:

DavidL said:

FPT

I
    kle4 said:

DavidL said:

FPT

I tend to agree that if Labour can keep their net losses in Scotland (like everyone else they will probably feed on the Lib Dems) to under a dozen they will probably be the largest party. That is a bit of an if though.
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    eek said:

kle4 said:

DavidL said:

FPT

I think

Not a chance of Labour shoring up those seats. The SNP played a very smart game over the weekend explicitly ruling out propping up a Conservative Government to remove the biggest reason why SNP / Labour voters would move back to Labour.
    In that case the Tories have a better chance than before, but Labour still hold the edge in terms of people willing to cut some kind of deal with them to gain power.
  • Options
    PongPong Posts: 4,693
    edited November 2014
    New Betfair SNP O/U 35.5 seats market.

Someone play with me :)
  • Options
    Anyone not convinced by how badly Miliband is going to hurt the Lab vote and help the Tories needs to watch more Miliband.

Remember the strikes interview. I'll link to it if you can't..
  • Options
    AnorakAnorak Posts: 6,621
    RobD said:
    Oooo, that's lovely. Love the ranks of aircraft coming in over the Atlantic, like a souped-up version of the start to Dad's Army :)
  • Options
    edited November 2014

Anyone not convinced by how badly Miliband is going to hurt the Lab vote and help the Tories needs to watch more Miliband.

He's not great, but without a better Tory performance - and they haven't actually done terribly, poll wise, given their UKIP troubles and government austerity (to a degree) - he doesn't have to be. While not fearing a Labour government - given the economic situation I think they would be constrained in how much meddling would be permissible, limiting their positive and negative impact - it is troubling to me how easily they could get back into power in the current climate. Not enough struggle to earn the victory, it's bad for a party, just like being in power too long.
  • Options

DavidL said:

FPT

OTH - the polls give the governing parties about 41 the opposition about 33 and the protest party about 14. Plus the SNP and Green factor. The poll position of the 'government' recovering from an inherited economic mess does not look too bad by historic standards to me.
    Why do you think it is useful to add the Tory and Lib Dem support together? This government is not standing for election and it is going to use a lot of its support fighting each other.
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,904
    edited November 2014
    DavidL

"After numerous attempts one has to ask why. And the answer is surely that the majority of people don't like this government very much"

On any conventinal reading I can't see why people don't like this government much. They're not particularly right wing they've presided over reasonably well off people becoming much richer and those without a job are now apparently working. They don't beat on minorities like they used to.....What's not to like?

I don't like them because I'm alergic to Tories but I've seem many less attractive Tory governments. The appearance of UKIP is living proof of what a really ugly right wing party can look like.....
  • Options

DavidL said:

FPT

The problem lies with that great slogan from the early years of the Coalition: "We are all in this together".

If we imagine a scenario where that had proved to be true, and austerity had been equally shared across the nation, then I think the British people would have been much less unhappy with the Government.

This hasn't happened. Many people suspect that they are being asked to endure endless austerity while others - for many the "rich", but the finger also gets pointed at public sector workers, immigrants, welfare cheats, etc - are untouched.

Looking back now and the length of time for which rationing persisted after WWII seems remarkable. No doubt the rules were broken by many, and there was a thriving black market for those who could afford to pay extra. And yet, by and large, the country put up with it because it was perceived as equitable and temporary.

The austerity that many perceive they are being asked to accept is endless and unequal. Regardless of the economic necessity of balancing the books (as a nation, not just in the government accounts), I do not see it as surprising that people will refuse to accept austerity as presented in such a way.

One of the great failings of the Labour opposition is that they have presented no alternative. Everyone knows that they will pursue almost identical policies to the Coalition, but with the odd sprinkling of differentiation in tone, emphasis and detail.
  • Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787
    Latest 2015 ARSE General Election Projection Countdown :

12 hours 11 minutes 10 seconds
  • Options
    DavidL said:

DavidL said:

FPT

Why do you think it is useful to add the Tory and Lib Dem support together? This government is not standing for election and it is going to use a lot of its support fighting each other.
    Perhaps the best way for the government to stay in power is just such a coupon election.

There is precedent from 1922 and again in the 1930s. Indeed some National Liberals lasted well into the Sixties.

• Options
    kle4 said:

He's not great, but without a better Tory performance - and they haven't actually done terribly, poll wise, given their UKIP troubles and government austerity (to a degree) - he doesn't have to be. While not fearing a Labour government - given the economic situation I think they would be constrained in how much meddling would be permissible, limiting their positive and negative impact - it is troubling to me how easily they could get back into power in the current climate. Not enough struggle to earn the victory, it's bad for a party, just like being in power too long.
    He's not great?

Are you trying to win a comedy understatement award?

He is so obviously hopelessly inadequate for the role that he's put himself up for, it's laughable. Has there ever been an opposition leader so strongly supported by his opponents?
  • Options
    Increasingly the tendency ni this 24/7 news world is for the power behind the throne to the Chancellor with the PM a PR smoothie who is supposedly in charge but mainly there to look good and be a good PR. e.g. Brown/Blair + Osborne/Cameron.

Sadly, Miliband does not appear to have this "PR" ability and I think he will be mercilessly slaughtered by the media in the run up to the election. He comes across to me, no dou'b aided and abetted by the media, as a little not as others. I think such a quality in a politician is going to affect him quite significantly with C2,D,E voters, who historically disproportionally vote Labour. He will not get the votes of many of those who allow instinct, rather than reason, to colour their choice.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,994
    JackW said:

How you are well JackW, haven't seen much of you of late.
  • Options
    Roger said:

DavidL

"After numerous attempts one has to ask why. And the answer is surely that the majority of people don't like this government very much"

On any conventinal reading I can't see why people don't like this government much. They're not particularly right wing they've presided over reasonably well off people becoming much richer and those without a job are now apparently working. They don't beat on minorities like they used to.....What's not to like?

I don't like them because I'm alergic to Tories but I've seem many less attractive Tory governments. The appearance of UKIP is living proof of what a really ugly right wing party can look like.....

I would go further (but then I would). I think this has been an excellent government who have coped with a truly terrible position much better than could reasonably be expected and have managed to take a number of small steps back to sanity. I also think that the Lib Dems have made a positive contribution to this government and have stopped some of the right wing nonsense that has in the past made tory governments morally questionable.

But it is so much easier to believe that this government wants to cut public spending because it hates poor people and wants to cut taxes for the rich, even when they are paying more.

And to believe that Labour's refusal to address the extent of the problems is down to moral failings and rank dishonesty rather than a genuine reluctance to face the consequences for those in need.

And that UKIP are all truly fruitcakes rather than people who see some of the problems and how hard it is for a government regulated by the EU to actually do anything about it.

And that the SNP are all mad....hmm, may be on to something with that last one.
  • Options

DavidL said:

FPT

But Ed hasn't got crapper; he's been crap from long before he became Loto. What's changed, and will continue to, is that more and more people will realise that he's crap and that they don't want the weirdo as the man controlling our economy, or the man representing our country on the world stage.

This may not as yet have won the Tories more support, but the closer we get to the election, and people realise the choice they're being asked to make, I'm convinced that it will win the Tories more votes, and cost labour many more through switchers to the greens or UKIP, or to staying at home rather than voting.
    Nobody wins when their leader is on minus 56%.

The Conservatives will finish ahead. But, they're making heavy weather of it.
  • Options
    Anorak said:

I assume that's Dave and George. Frankly it could be Brown and Miliband. The caricatures need work, I think.

And what trap?

No, no - it couldn't be Brown. He didn't see anything coming!

p.s. Caricatures are kind of difficult, under a mask. But I thought the Batman and Robin theme was good fun ... and I guessed most people would 'get it'.

• Options
    chestnutchestnut Posts: 7,341
    Whenever I look at the Tory data, it seems that they are losing purely to UKIP.

That isn't about austerity and inequality, it's about immigrants and gay weddings.

The Tories are comfortably gaining net from their LibLab left.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,078

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

FPT

Perhaps the best way for the government to stay in power is just such a coupon election.

There is precedent from 1922 and again in the 1930s. Indeed some National Liberals lasted well into the Sixties.

Didn't they all stand as Tories by then?
  • Options

DavidL said:

FPT

The tories are sThey can't break away.

Thsty.
    The austerity that many perceive they are being asked to accept is endless and unequal. Regardless of the economic necessity of balancing the books (as a nation, not just in the government accounts), I do not see it as surprising that people will refuse to accept austerity as presented in such a way.

I'm not sure the unequal part is really bothering people, though I say that purely as a gut feeling with the lack of weight that deserves. People will always disagree about how cuts are divvied up, but the experience of this parliament seems to me that people will demand cuts in theory but resist in almost all instances in reality. That could be handled if it was to be a short term thing, we'd all grumble about it, vote out the Tories for overseeing it however necessary one feels it was, but the endless part is the key I think. First it was back to 2017, then 2018, at some point it will become 2020, I think everyone accepts that (and if the economy is felt to be picking up, there will be even less incentive from the public to cut to a 2018 schedule). Knowing there are to be all these 'cuts' and things are still going to be crap for the rest of the decade makes it seem pointless, so even if you support the austerity programme, as I do - the abject failure of the government on this is what finally drove me to stop giving them the benefit of the doubt - the pain will just be stretched out as long as possible, so why not vote for anyone, even parties previously considered 'riskier' as they let in the other side? It's not as though the pain will get that much worse if they are a disaster.

DavidL said:

FPT

The tories are .

The problesty.
    One of the great failings of the Labour opposition is that they have presented no alternative. Everyone knows that they will pursue almost identical policies to the Coalition, but with the odd sprinkling of differentiation in tone, emphasis and detail.
    That is a great failing indeed. What makes it more tragic is that despite that being about as open and admitted as you can get in politics, many will probably vote against the exact policies of this government that, cosmetic differences aside, the next Labour government will implement, meaning the dissatisfaction will only continue. If Labour really were proposing something radically different, then all well and good, but that's not credible, and there are too many who even if they prefer Labour for all sorts of other reasons as many others do, are in for a rude awakening. It won't be a disaster, but it's not much of a breath of fresh air either, so no reason to get excited.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

DavidL said:

FPT

But Ed hasn'tn voting.

The Conservatives will finish ahead.
    Votes or seats?
  • Options
    Paul_Mid_BedsPaul_Mid_Beds Posts: 1,409
    edited November 2014
    chestnut said:

That isn't about austerity and inequality, it's about immigrants and gay weddings.

Yes, Gideon thought the right had nowhere to go as they would never risk a Labour government. He wholly underestimated that social policies were as important, if not more important in some cases, than economic policies, and by subscribing to the liberal left social consensus made the rise of UKIP inevitable, as if Torys and Labour both had the same social policies the fear of Labour victory is replaced with a resigned shrug of "so be it"

• Options
    Danny565Danny565 Posts: 8,091
    chestnut said:

The majority of UKIP voters are against austerity, according to the polls. They're even more against it than the (remaining) Lib Dem voters.
  • Options

kle4 said:

He's not great?

Are you trying to win a comedy understatement award?

He is so obviously hopelessly inadequate for the role that he's put himself up for, it's laughable. Has there ever been an opposition leader so strongly supported by his opponents?
    Perhaps not. He does seem to be an asset to his opponents. Bu the real comedy, or tragicomedy, will come if he still ends up as PM despite that. Given how poor he is supposed to be, that that result cannot be discounted (even if my prediction of an easy Labour win is hardly the accepted position) says a great deal.
  • Options

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

FPT

According to Wikipedia (!) 3 National Liberals were elected in 1966, before they formerly merged. Heseltine stood as National Liberal too...
  • Options
    ItajaiItajai Posts: 721

chestnut said:

Yes, Gideon thought the right had nowhere to go as they would never risk a Labour government. He wholly underestimated that social policies were as important, if not more important in some cases, than economic policies, and by subscribing to the liberal left social consensus made the rise of UKIP inevitable.

Haha yes.
    In his metropolitan cocoon it was impossible for him to think that there were people who did not sign up for the trendy metropolitan agenda.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

DavidL said:

FPT

I think they will finish with a grugding victory of sorts. Probably short of a majority and getting very near a majority with the DUP supply and confidence, and find themselves having to court the UKIP MPs and anyone else they can persuade to support them on specific issues to get bills through.

In such a situation if I was Ed I would stay on as leader and announce the end of Pairing, then fight a war of attrition against them.

It wont be pleasant to watch.
  • Options
    Danny565 said:

chestnut said:

The majority of UKIP voters are against austerity, according to the polls. They're even more against it than the (remaining) Lib Dem voters.
    I'm hoping to see some polling soon, that shows Kippers think you can end austerity/the deficit overnight by simply ending immigration.
  • Options

The one where the Penguin and the Joker get hold of the controls and manage to crash the batmobile into a hospital, then a school, then a queue outside the job centre..

Ha ha ha!

Thanks JJ. That's a cool idea. If time permits, I may even do that for you. :-)
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,577
    Love the cartoon -you've not quite got that weird arse growing on the end of Osborne's nose though. It's very distinctive.
  • Options

Ha ha ha!

Thanks JJ. That's a cool idea. If time permits, I may even do that for you. :-)
    It may need a bit more thought than I gave to it, but would love to see something along those lines... It may need a panel or two more, like them aiming at bankers but missing?

Hope all is well with you?
  • Options
    chestnutchestnut Posts: 7,341
    Danny565 said:

The majority of UKIP voters are against austerity, according to the polls.

The majority of UKIP voters aren't ex-Tories.

It would make interesting reading to see what attitudes towards cuts/spending/taxes are within UKIP's vote when split according to where the supporter comes from - Tory/Lib/ Lab/other/ Lapsed voter
  • Options
    eek said:

kle4 said:

DavidL said:

FPT

If a vote for the SNP is a vote for Miliband then you may as well just vote Labour and be done with it.
  • Options
    On topic, so

David Cameron as Batman

George Osborne as the Boy Wonder

Ed Miliband as the Joker

Nigel Farage as The Penguin

Luciana Berger as Harley Quinn

Caroline Lucas as Ra's Al Ghul (honestly, Ra's Al Ghul was an eco terrorist)

I'm struggling to work who would be The Scarecrow and The Riddler.

If anyone mentions Mr Freeze, they will be exiled to conhome, as I repress the film Batman and Robin, and pretend it never happened.

Also one of Batman's adversaries was called Owlman, so that might explain Labour's Owl policy.
  • Options

Sean_F said:

DavidL said:

FPT

I think they will finish with a grugding victory of sorts. Probably short of a majority and getting very near a majority with the DUP supply and confidence, and find themselves having to court the UKIP MPs and anyone else they can persuade to support them on specific issues to get bills through.

In such a situation if I was Ed I would stay on as leader and announce the end of Pairing, then fight a war of attrition against them.

It wont be pleasant to watch.
    Pairing ended years ago
  • Options
    Oh and Mark Reckless as Professor Pyg, another Batman villan

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Professor_Pyg
  • Options

Love the cartoon -you've not quite got that weird arse growing on the end of Osborne's nose though. It's very distinctive.

Though Robin has a better hairstyle than Osborne's notorious Blackadder the First...
  • Options
    DavidL said:

FPT

About a year ago, I wrote a thread header, which concluded with

the 2015 General Election, when it comes to the leaders, it may be the case of the resistible force meets the moveable object.

Nothing has changed to make me revise my opinion
  • Options
    So the Conservatives having used homophobic insinuations are now claiming to be the party of high house prices.

Would they please hire Richard Nabavi or DavidL and so have someone capable of putting a constructive and well mannered case for them.
  • Options

Though Robin has a better hairstyle than Osborne's notorious Blackadder the First...
    That's given me an idea... Milibaldrick has a cunning plan
  • Options

Sadly the real Milliband doesn't have anything approaching a plan -cunning or otherwise.
  • Options

Sadly the real Milliband doesn't have anything approaching a plan -cunning or otherwise.
    Freezing energy prices seems pretty Baldrickesque
  • Options
    Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 55,680
    edited November 2014
    kle4 said:

Sean_F said:

DavidL said:

FPT

But Ed hasn'tn voting.

Votes or seats?
    Both. Conservative minority is my bet.
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    And yes, I agree with the consensus that the polling is getting ever more intriguing/frustrating! I was resigned to the Tories achieving "proper" crossover by now.
  • Options

It makes you wonder what EdM does with his time.

There have been good opposition leaders and bad opposition leaders.

There have been opposition leaders in an easy situation and opposition leaders in a difficult situation.

But I can never remember an opposition leader who had such little curiosity and vision about the world.

• Options
    RobD said:

JackW said:

Thank you for asking - Much recuperated after taking the sun in Jonny-Foreigner-Land for several weeks.

• Options

I suppose with her kitten heels Theresa May should be Catwoman although I suspect she is rather the kiss of death to liberal conservatism so I see her rather as Poison Ivy.
  • Options
    The thing is I still feel the Tories have a tighter grip on their "core" voters than Labour have on theirs. Any time where there's such a HUGE widespread anti-politics mood, I feel that usually favours the main centre-right party by default simply because their supporters, however disillusioned they may be with their party, will still ultimately see it as their "civic duty" to go out and vote. On the other hand, leftie supporters are typically more likely to flake off and give up on "the system" altogether.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,153

On topic, so

David Cameron as Batman

Ed Miliband as the Joker

If anyone mentions Mr Freeze, they will be exiled to conhome, as I repress the film Batman and Robin, and pretend it never happened.

Also one of Batman's adversaries was called Owlman, so that might explain Labour's Owl policy.

Nick Clegg, covered in question marks, would be the Riddler.

I mean - why??
  • Options
    Danny565 said:

And yes, I agree with the consensus that the polling is getting ever more intriguing/frustrating! I was resigned to the Tories achieving "proper" crossover by now.

I was expecting inconsistent crossover by summer 2014, and consistent crossover by Feb 2015.

Where I was wrong, was I was expecting the inconsistent crossover figures to be around 34/35.

I wasn't expecting to be around 30%
  • Options
    JackW said:

RobD said:

JackW said:

Thank you for asking - Much recuperated after taking the sun in Jonny-Foreigner-Land for several weeks.

They are a bad lot out there when you leave blighty...
  • Options
    Danny565 said:

The thing is I still feel the Tories have a tighter grip on their "core" voters than Labour have on theirs. Any time where there's such a HUGE widespread anti-politics mood, I feel that usually favours the main centre-right party by default simply because their supporters, however disillusioned they may be with their party, will still ultimately see it as their "civic duty" to go out and vote. On the other hand, leftie supporters are typically more likely to flake off and give up on "the system" altogether.

On the other hand you have the public sector and welfare voting blocs with a vested interest in a Labour government.
  • Options
    Danny565 said:

The thing is I still feel the Tories have a tighter grip on their "core" voters than Labour have on theirs.

Really? I had thought the opposite, particular in current UKIPpy times, but I confess not to be aware of historical precedents on such things.
  • Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195
    DavidL said:

DavidL said:

FPT

Absolutely - but Labour want to spend like its 1999
  • Options

Danny565 said:

I was expecting inconsistent crossover by summer 2014, and consistent crossover by Feb 2015.

Where I was wrong, was I was expecting the inconsistent crossover figures to be around 34/35.

I wasn't expecting to be around 30%
    I wasn't expecting Miliband to have ratings as bad as this either.

We debate - a lot - our mystic meg skills on predicting crossover on here. What I really go by is the leadership ratings, preferred team on the economy, forced choice question and swing voter analysis. That's what will tell in the campaign IMHO.
  • Options

JackW said:

RobD said:

JackW said:

They are a bad lot out there when you leave blighty...
    I felt fully secure whilst wearing my Ukip underpants and union flag knotted hanky.

• Options
    Itajai said:

chestnut said:

Yes, Gideon thought the right had nowhere to go as they would never risk a Labour government. He wholly underestimated that social policies were as important, if not more important in some cases, than economic policies, and by subscribing to the liberal left social consensus made the rise of UKIP inevitable.

Haha yes.
    In his metropolitan cocoon it was impossible for him to think that there were people who did not sign up for the trendy metropolitan agenda.
    So its confirmed then - people who are bigoted are not voting conservative any more.
  • Options
    PlatoPlato Posts: 15,724
    I'm more of an Arrow 2% body fat/Olympic gymnast physique myself, or Tom Welling in Smallville. Yummy. I'm delighted with my new 10 season box set. Clark tells Lois his secret SPOILER https://youtube.com/watch?v=04PeJgvBIBc
  • Options
    Floater said:

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

FPT

Absolutely - but Labour want to spend like its 1999
    All the parties do.

Especially on their pet projects and on buying the loyalty of their voters.

Although to be pedantic it would be very welcome if government spending was reduced to the proportions of 1999.
  • Options

I suppose with her kitten heels Theresa May should be Catwoman although I suspect she is rather the kiss of death to liberal conservatism so I see her rather as Poison Ivy.
    Anne Hathaway will always be Catwoman for me.

Purrrr
  • Options

Itajai said:

chestnut said:

Haha yes.
    So its confirmed then - people who are bigoted are not voting conservative any more.
    I'm sure the Matthew Parris type of bigots will continue to vote Conservative.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Sean_F said:

DavidL said:

FPT

But Ed hasn'tn voting.

Votes or seats?
    Both.

This cartoon does remind me of the "Cock. Robin" joke that was so popular at school.

• Options

When they would otherwise be falling.
  • Options

Itajai said:

chestnut said:

Haha yes.
    I don't know about that. A lot of people who are conservative aren't voting Conservative.
  • Options

Danny565 said:

On the other hand you have the public sector and welfare voting blocs with a vested interest in a Labour government.
    But the problem is that Labour are not offering those blocs anything. They're presumably going to be promising more public-sector cuts, and they're constantly posturing about how they're going to be "tougher than the Tories" on welfare. (Incidentally, I don't know where the perception that benefit-claimants make up a big chunk of Labour support has come from? My own assumption would be that most of them wouldn't vote at all, and in fact of those who do vote I would expect a lot would be voting UKIP at the moment.)

For a lot of core Tory supporters, even if they might have grumbles about gay marriage or Europe, when it comes to people's own self-interests, people who are retired and the very wealthy families have done pretty well out of this government. On the other hand, if Labour are signed up to austerity, they're going to be promising cuts for their own core voters. Now whether or not continued austerity is inevitable is another question (I certainly feel it isn't inevitable and wish Labour would just have the guts to say it and put that option on the table for people), but either way, inevitable or not, it doesn't change the fact that the Tories are going to have an "offer" which is more in the self-interests of their core voters, than Labour will.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

kle4 said:

Sean_F said:

DavidL said:

FPT

But Ed hasn'tn voting.

Votes or seats?
    Both.

This cartoon does remind me of the "Cock. Robin" joke that was so popular at school.

Is it the lagershed yet?

I have a Superhero joke that I want to share.
  • Options
    RodCrosbyRodCrosby Posts: 7,737

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

FPT

According to Wikipedia (!) 3 National Liberals were elected in 1966, before they formerly merged. Heseltine stood as National Liberal too...
    John Nott was the last MP to make his debut as a NL...
  • Options

Itajai said:

chestnut said:

Haha yes.
    I'm sure the Matthew Parris type of bigots will continue to vote Conservative.
    I think what really needs to be established is which party in the UK has the best bigots in their corner. The most intense, the most entertaining, the most reactionary. I'm off for an early night, but it's a question I will ponder.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,609
    edited November 2014

On topic, so

David Cameron as Batman

Ed Miliband as the Joker

Nick Clegg, covered in question marks, would be the Riddler.

I mean - why??
    Nick Clegg is a good guy, not a Villain.

Although, given the Lib Dems who criticise the coalition they are part of are a bit two-faced.

Got it, Vince Cable = Two Face
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

kle4 said:

Sean_F said:

DavidL said:

FPT

But Ed hasn'tn voting.

Votes or seats?
    Both.

Given that the Tories most votes & most seats double is now evens with Shadsy, that's hardly a view that can be called outlandish!
  • Options

eek said:

kle4 said:

DavidL said:

FPT

If a vote for the SNP is a vote for Miliband then you may as well just vote Labour and be done with it.
    Interesting thought for you!

In nearly every one of the supposed SNP heartlands of the north east of Scotland, the vote was NO.

Alec Salmond had sooked up the anti "Glasgow orientated Labour" support - Tories who wouldn't want to be seen voting for them or the Novelle Tories. Now they are expected to swallow Sturgeon's socialist agenda Ain't gonna happen.
  • Options
    Danny565 said:

Danny565 said:

But the problem is that Labour are not offering those blocs anything. They're presumably going to be promising more public-sector cuts, and they're constantly posturing about how they're going to be "tougher than the Tories" on welfare. (Incidentally, I don't know where the perception that benefit-claimants make up a big chunk of Labour support has come from? My own assumption would be that most of them wouldn't vote at all, and in fact of those who do vote I would expect a lot would be voting UKIP at the moment.)

For a lot of core Tory supporters, even if they might have grumbles about gay marriage or Europe, when it comes to people's own self-interests, people who are retired and the very wealthy families have done pretty well out of this government. On the other hand, if Labour are signed up to austerity, they're going to be promising cuts for their own core voters. Now whether or not continued austerity is inevitable is another question (I certainly feel it isn't inevitable and wish Labour would just have the guts to say it and put that option on the table for people), but either way, inevitable or not, it doesn't change the fact that the Tories are going to have an "offer" which is more in the self-interests of their core voters, than Labour will.
    The welfare bloc contains many people of various tax credits as well.

And generally those who use a lot of public services or are reliant generally on government spending.

It doesn't matter what Labour promises re public sector cuts because nobody will believe them. Everyone thinks Labour will try to increase government spending and the size of the public sector.

Now some people think that would be a good thing and some that would it would be a bad thing and some think that they would succeed and some think that they will fail.

But everyone still thinks that Labour will try to do it.

• Options

When they would otherwise be falling.
    I'm not sure that's definitely true right now. Despite the falling cost of gas & electricity the energy companies tend to buy a couple of years in advance so may have been fixed into their current prices. But why, if they did have a cheaper long term deal, would they offer it to their customers if they were to be legally obliged to fix it even if the prices then went up dramatically?
  • Options

Anne Hathaway will always be Catwoman for me.

Purrrr
    She's no Pfeiffer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=814QnE7yhts
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 41,008

Danny565 said:

chestnut said:

I'm hoping to see some polling soon, that shows Kippers think you can end austerity/the deficit overnight by simply ending immigration.
    A Cameroon saying UKIP want to end all immigration is like a lefty saying the Tories want to abolish the welfare state
  • Options
    I see that Ed Miliband is on the Agenda, after News at Ten.

My apologies for noticing, when I should be concentrating on I'm a Celebrity...
This discussion has been closed.