Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Local By-Election Preview : November 13th 2014

SystemSystem Posts: 11,707
edited November 2014 in General

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Local By-Election Preview : November 13th 2014

Queen Edith’s on Cambridge (Lab Defence)
Result of last election to council (2014): Labour 25, Liberal Democrats 14, Independents 2, Conservative 1 (Labour majority of 8)
Result of last election in ward (2012): Labour 1,084 (40%), Liberal Democrats 963 (35%), Conservatives 513 (19%), Green 172 (6%)
Candidates duly nominated:

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    eekeek Posts: 25,029
    first (strangely)
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,995
    second?
  • Options
    ItajaiItajai Posts: 721
    Dartford used to be Labour till 1983 and then again 1995-2003. Tories only got back in 2007. Yet...Labour are nowhere on the council by the looks of it.

Dartford was a classic swing seat. Labour have abdicated in the SE. This will be confirmed next week in R&S. Was madness on the 35% strategy, god knows what it is on the 29% strategy or whatever it is now. Probably 29%MINUS.
  • Options
    GeoffMGeoffM Posts: 6,071
    edited November 2014
    Third!

Edit: Meh, fourth.
  • Options
    ArtistArtist Posts: 1,883
    It will be interesting to see how UKIP do in Brent and Littlebrook, should be prime territory for them to threaten.

It'd be a good result for Labour to hold their Cambridge seat as well, the Lib Dems have recovered locally since 2012.
  • Options
    Blimey - Murray sure is paying the price for 'that' tweet.... still, he's a major winner, won Wimbledon and if he never recovers - especiall after tonight - he's still been superb.

Two bagels?
  • Options
    welshowlwelshowl Posts: 4,460
    Old King Cole

From previous thread- yeah the GDR police had "posh" Wartburgs which had something daft like 27 bhp as against the Trabant's 18 ( or something similar). The fact that there was a ten year waiting list too and an average age of 40 I believe for first owning a car was such a contrast to an average West German's Golf. A metaphor for the two countries.

What was the land law by the way?
  • Options
    I see Millipede's nth relaunch does not even make the BBC News headlines. A footballer's rape case does. Are the lefties so despondent they don't even want to mention that intellectual giant's name?
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,904
    Itajai said:

I see Millipede's nth relaunch does not even make the BBC News headlines. A footballer's rape case does. Are the lefties so despondent they don't even want to mention that intellectual giant's name?

Intellectual giants don't call Lab leader Millipede
  • Options

Blimey - Murray sure is paying the price for 'that' tweet.... still, he's a major winner, won Wimbledon and if he never recovers - especiall after tonight - he's still been superb.

Two bagels?

Phew - my magic works at tennis too!
  • Options
    The GDR. Where the left argued it would be against the law (pre-international..) to prosecute Honecker for shooting escapees on the border as he was the recognised head of state of an internationally recognised country. Makes it ok then. Except Pinochet had different parameters applied.

Does the hypocrisy of the Left know no bounds? I think not.

ps: in a bizarre twist Honecker ended up his days in Chile!
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,154
    Itajai said:

Don't worry, after his gargantuan speech today, these by-elections will give us the chance to see that the voters are flocking to the underdog.

That said, an underdog is still a dog.

That usually loses.....
  • Options

Itajai said:

Intellectual giants don't call Lab leader Millipede
    You'll be demanding why I use term "intellectual" as a term of abuse next.
  • Options
    Cambridge looks most interesting.

LD gain must be likely as LAB dropped back since 2012.
  • Options

Itajai said:

Don't worry, after his gargantuan speech today, these by-elections will give us the chance to see that the voters are flocking to the underdog.

That said, an underdog is still a dog.

That usually loses.....
    Whilst pigdogs some times win the battle but not the war!
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,078
    edited November 2014
    welshowl said:

Old King Cole

From previous thread- yeah the GDR police had "posh" Wartburgs which had something daft like 27 bhp as against the Trabant's 18 ( or something similar). The fact that there was a ten year waiting list too and an average age of 40 I believe for first owning a car was such a contrast to an average West German's Golf. A metaphor for the two countries.

It was a note in passing, to be truthful. Apparently Wallace was a surveyor in his twenties and worked on transfer of properties. Landlords demands were such that tenants frequently moved from farm to farm, making small improvements until such time s the landlords increased the rent on renewal beyond the capacity to pay. Bit like the pub operator/owner relationship now, it appears.
    May explain why one family in my ancestry moved farms in MId Wales every few years, although the head of the family was described as a "farmer" not an agricultural labourer.
    Got to do a lot more research, though.

I knew of someone in the UK who bought at Wartburg. His description of it was unrepeatable.
  • Options
    I am away for 3 days now.

In Manchester for Ideal Homes Exhibition, Christmas Markets and to see the Voice at Beebs Media City.

Mrs BJ treat as she continues to slave away so i can have a life of leisure.

I am looking forward to the Voice bit though.

Will catch up on all EICIPM polls on Monday
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,995

I am away for 3 days now.

In Manchester for Ideal Homes Exhibition, Christmas Markets and to see the Voice at Beebs Media City.

Mrs BJ treat as she continues to slave away so i can have a life of leisure.

I am looking forward to the Voice bit though.

Will catch up on all EICIPM polls on Monday

Have a good'un!
  • Options
    welshowlwelshowl Posts: 4,460
    edited November 2014

welshowl said:

Old King Cole

It was a note in passing, to be truthful. Apparently Wallace was a surveyor in his twenties and worked on transfer of properties. Landlords demands were such that tenants frequently moved from farm to farm, making small improvements until such time s the landlords increased the rent on renewal beyond the capacity to pay. Bit like the pub operator/owner relationship now, it appears.
    May explain why one family in my ancestry moved farms in MId Wales every few years, although the head of the family was described as a "farmer" not an agricultural labourer.

I knew of someone in the UK who bought at Wartburg. His description of it was unrepeatable.
    Thanks. I am better informed.

Not surprised by the Wartburg mind.
  • Options
    MIllipede just made the tv news!
    Wonder why no one has complained why the audience looks horribly white?

Am pretty sure the Guardianistas at the BBC would have gladly pointed this out had it been the Tories or UKIP.
  • Options
    JonnyJimmyJonnyJimmy Posts: 2,548
    @bigjohnowls‌

Do you have any ISAs?

Do you have an estate worth over the IHT threshold? And if so are you taking measures to reduce that bill, or would you if you don't but could?

And do you agree that someone with your views on tax avoidance should be hurrying to repay any gains they may have made out of the measures I've mentioned above or any like them, and insisting that people like Ed Miliband also should, to avoid the stench of hypocrisy?
  • Options
    FenmanFenman Posts: 1,047
    Queen Ediths Ward is in South Cambridgeshire, not Cambridge constituency.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,078
    welshowl said:

welshowl said:

Old King Cole

Thanks. I am better informed.

Not surprised by the Wartburg mind.
    As you say, it's surprising where an odd remark can take the enquiring mind!
  • Options
    Scrapheap_as_wasScrapheap_as_was Posts: 10,059
    edited November 2014
    I missed this - perhaps Mr. Bloom was hard done to?

Michael Crick @MichaelLCrick
    Cathy Newman has Nigel Farage on the ropes on #c4News on working mothers. Rarely seen him so flustered

1h Cathy Newman ✔ @cathynewman
    Thanks many tweets about @Nigel_Farage interview. Sorry not to reply to every one. Rather surprised he still says mums worth less in city
  • Options
    And @bigjohnowls‌ when did Miliband make a principled stand against the existing tax laws when he was working in the treasury?

Or did he forget to?
  • Options

And @bigjohnowls‌ when did Miliband make a principled stand against the existing tax laws when he was working in the treasury?

Or did he forget to?

When is he going to volunteer to pay the tax he saved on his IHT wheeze?
  • Options
    Itajai said:

Or did he forget to?

When he stops being a stinking hypocrite.
  • Options
    Itajai said:

Or did he forget to?

Millipedes are exempt I think as are other invertebrates.

Not sure about the wheeze you refer to. He did a Q and A earlier i could have asked him if i had known.

Anyway i am definitely off now Mrs BJ has the front door open and is giving me that look.
  • Options

Itajai said:

Or did he forget to?

Not sure about the wheeze you refer to. He did a Q and A earlier i could have asked him if i had known.

Anyway i am definitely off now Mrs BJ has the front door open and is giving me that look.
    He bravely ran away
  • Options

Itajai said:

Or did he forget to?

http://www.fpp.co.uk/online/07/04/Mail_on_Miliband.html

But of course you knew
  • Options
    Has @NickPalmer‌ done any legal tax avoidance? And if so is he about to repay any money he might have avoided paying to not look like a hypocrite?
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    edited November 2014

I missed this - perhaps Mr. Bloom was hard done to?

Michael Crick @MichaelLCrick
    Cathy Newman has Nigel Farage on the ropes on #c4News on working mothers. Rarely seen him so flustered

1h Cathy Newman ✔ @cathynewman
    Thanks many tweets about @Nigel_Farage interview. Sorry not to reply to every one. Rather surprised he still says mums worth less in city

This a gift to Ukip, playing into Farage's hands, he's a heavyweight politician and a great clunking fist etc etc..
  • Options
    Are Labour going to be scrupulously careful in ensuring that none of their donors have ever taken part in any form of legal tax avoidance?
  • Options
    Strange how those who always claim taxes are "too low" invariably have little knowledge of actually paying any.

Taxes are for the proles.
  • Options

Itajai said:

Or did he forget to?

He bravely ran away
    You seem rather excitable tonight are you away for the weekend too.

I dont think you will get in at the Beeb i had to prove i was not right wing to get my free tickets.

BYE
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    The excuses are coming out, but the brutal fact is that Ed Miliband has not convinced voters that his party is electable

Labour is about to throw away a winnable election because its leader cannot fathom that he needs to convince us he will take care of our money and because he is convinced, whereas nobody else is, that the crash of 2008 created a market for his bromides about equality. This is not a mess that has been visited on Labour from the outside. This is a mess of its own devising.
    http://www.thetimes.co.uk/tto/opinion/columnists/article4267161.ece
  • Options

Itajai said:

Or did he forget to?

He bravely ran away
    You seem rather excitable tonight are you away for the weekend too.

I dont think you will get in at the Beeb i had to prove i was not right wing to get my free tickets.

BYE
    I don't know what you're talking about now, but I'm pretty sure you're responding like a hypocrite would when revealed as one.
  • Options

Are Labour going to be scrupulously careful in ensuring that none of their donors have ever taken part in any form of legal tax avoidance?

That the Guardian out then.
  • Options
    Can any supporter of Miliband's speech today (and OGH as he seems to think legal corporate tax avoidance is reprehensible) tell me the moral difference between an individual hiring an accountant to legally avoid tax, and a company doing the exact same thing?
  • Options

Can any supporter of Miliband's speech today (and OGH as he seems to think legal corporate tax avoidance is reprehensible) tell me the moral difference between an individual hiring an accountant to legally avoid tax, and a company doing the exact same thing?

That depends whether the individual is a Leftie (good), the corporation donates to Labour (good) or the Tories (very, very bad)
  • Options
    MarkSeniorMarkSenior Posts: 4,699
    Minor correction to Harry's info . The Wokingham seat was not a LD to Ind defection . The councillor had been expelled following conviction for benefits fraud . The Conservatives won the ward in 2011 , the Lib Dem in 2012 and Labour in 2014 .
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,370

Has @NickPalmer‌ done any legal tax avoidance? And if so is he about to repay any money he might have avoided paying to not look like a hypocrite?

Only when the waiver of tax is deliberate government policy (e.g. ISAs). Otherwise, no.

• Options
    I wonder if this is a portent of what’s to come!

Labour’s efforts to demonise the hostile anti-Ed media is working. At the Labour leader’s eighth ‘relaunch’ speech on Thursday at Senate House, every single question from journalists was greeted by boos, hisses and tuts.

One party member even saw fit to come over to the media corner and openly berate the gathered hacks: - The same woman was later heard by your humble correspondent shouting in the lobby those that had asked questions were ‘worse than Hitler’s henchmen stirring up hatred against the Jews’. Surely a late contender for the stupidest comment of the year?

http://blogs.spectator.co.uk/coffeehouse/2014/11/labours-war-on-the-media-is-working-as-activists-turn-on-hacks/
  • Options

I wonder if this is a portent of what’s to come!

it's a rerun of the YeSNP.

Al media is against them. All events are in their favour (if only the media would report them). They are on course for a glorious victory...

Oh, wait...

• Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,997
    Itajai said:

The GDR. Where the left argued it would be against the law (pre-international..) to prosecute Honecker for shooting escapees on the border as he was the recognised head of state of an internationally recognised country. Makes it ok then. Except Pinochet had different parameters applied.

25% or so of East Germans vote for Die Linke. Dictatorships usually have the backing of a large minority of the population. Unlike some other Communist States (eg Poland or Slovakia) the GDR were very successful at eradicating religious beliefs, which makes the place distinctive.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,370

It's a problem for all governments that multinational companies can ship their profits wherever they find it convenient. IIRC, Osborne said something very similar. It's natural for anyone in or near Government to dislike people who avoid taxes by wheezes which were obviously not intended by the law. In principle I do favour a GAAR, though I see the problems - perhaps with an independent body to rule on whether a scheme is "clearly artificial".

• Options
    john_zimsjohn_zims Posts: 3,399
    @SimonStClare

' At the Labour leader’s eighth ‘relaunch’ speech on Thursday at Senate House, every single question from journalists was greeted by boos, hisses and tuts.'

The hand picked audience of Labour party members didn't fool anyone.

The next desperate step will be to ban journalists from asking questions.
  • Options

Only when the waiver of tax is deliberate government policy (e.g. ISAs). Otherwise, no.

Is membership of the European free market not a deliberate government policy? Because surely that's the reason that companies quite legally base their HQs in Dublin or Luxembourg to pay less corporation tax.

Why is that morally worse than ISAs?
  • Options
    john_zims said:

@SimonStClare

' At the Labour leader’s eighth ‘relaunch’ speech on Thursday at Senate House, every single question from journalists was greeted by boos, hisses and tuts.'

The hand picked audience of Labour party members didn't fool anyone.

The next desperate step will be to ban journalists from asking questions.

Maybe they should hire that really bad Elvis impersonator again....at least it will lighten the mood.
  • Options
    Labour's hotshot US advisor David Axelrod still following wrong Ed Miliband on Twitter six months on:
  • Options
    NinoinozNinoinoz Posts: 1,312
    Sean_F said:

Itajai said:

25% or so of East Germans vote for Die Linke. Dictatorships usually have the backing of a large minority of the population. Unlike some other Communist States (eg Poland or Slovakia) the GDR were very successful at eradicating religious beliefs, which makes the place distinctive.
    Well, you must remember that the GDR went straight from Nazism to Communism, one State worshipping creed to another, so there was no memory of a Christian Germany to return to.

Contrast this with Adenauer in West who build on the foundations of the Christian churches as they were the least compromised German institutions left.
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,906
    edited November 2014
    At last the fightback begins. Better late than never but at least he's now on track. I wonder who's behind the revamp. who knows it might work. At last someone is now calling Farage for the nasty little shit he is.
  • Options

It's a problem for all governments that multinational companies can ship their profits wherever they find it convenient. IIRC, Osborne said something very similar. It's natural for anyone in or near Government to dislike people who avoid taxes by wheezes which were obviously not intended by the law. In principle I do favour a GAAR, though I see the problems - perhaps with an independent body to rule on whether a scheme is "clearly artificial".

Why did your glorious leader not sound off about this when he was employed in the treasury?
  • Options
    john_zimsjohn_zims Posts: 3,399
    @Scott_P

'That depends whether the individual is a Leftie (good), the corporation donates to Labour (good) or the Tories (very, very bad)'

IHT is only paid by the small people and never by fully paid-up socialists.
  • Options
    ZenPaganZenPagan Posts: 689

As governments write tax legislation which is then scrutinised by parliament how about mp's do their job and actually scrutinize the damn bills before they get onto the statute book? Perhaps try and work out where the loopholes are and close them before they get passed....just a thought.

• Options

How about salary exchange / sacrifice?

How about pension payments by gran and grandad or mum and dad paying for pension contributions for a grandson/son who is a higher rate tax payer but can't afford to do so as he's Bobajob (£60k pa, kids and no child benefit)?
  • Options
    KentRisingKentRising Posts: 2,850
    Miliband attacks UKIP for being the kind of people who "don't like foreigners moving in next door" or "equality for gay and lesbian people".

I would wager such views are also held by a large proportion of what was once Labour's traditional WWC base.

Miliband still preaching to the converted; the socially liberal metropolitan support.

• Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548

Corporations should pay tax on earnings where they make them, and there should be changes to ensure this. It is quite wrong for Amazon to nominally base itself in Luxembourg, and have an unfair advantage over W H Smiths who do pay tax here
  • Options
    Ninoinoz said:

Sean_F said:

Itajai said:

Well, you must remember that the GDR went straight from Nazism to Communism, one State worshipping creed to another, so there was no memory of a Christian Germany to return to.

Contrast this with Adenauer in West who build on the foundations of the Christian churches as they were the least compromised German institutions left.
    Many East German Christians fled West from 1945-61.
  • Options
    @NickPalmer‌ why does IHT exist at all if it can be legally avoided by anyone with the know how? Is that deliberate government policy? Or should Miliband pay back the money his family have legally avoided paying by taking advantage of accidental loopholes?
  • Options
    It should be remembered that all mp's are tax avoiders

Between house flipping, expense claims which mere mortals claiming them would have hmrc reaching for the red pencils etc. Of course all this is government sanctioned so perfectly justified.

We could make a damn good start by making all mp's subject to the same hmrc rules as the rest of us. My office has at least two people that have to rent a second place to live during the week to be close enough for work. If the company offered to pay for them then it is taxed as if it is pay.
  • Options

Miliband attacks UKIP for being the kind of people who "don't like foreigners moving in next door" or "equality for gay and lesbian people".

I would wager such views are also held by a large proportion of what was once Labour's traditional WWC base.

Miliband still preaching to the converted; the socially liberal metropolitan support.

Milliband has nothing to say to people outside his comfort zone.

• Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,609
    edited November 2014
    Chortle, lots of Ed on the TV and well....

Sun Politics ‏@Sun_Politics 30s30 seconds ago

YouGov/Sun poll tonight — Tories have one point lead: CON 33%, LAB 32%, LD 8%, UKIP 15%, GRN 6%
  • Options

Corporations should pay tax on earnings where they make them, and there should be changes to ensure this. It is quite wrong for Amazon to nominally base itself in Luxembourg, and have an unfair advantage over W H Smiths who do pay tax here
    They are based in Luxembourg because EU rules allow it. Aren't you one of those that always bleat on about how we can't pick and choose which of the club rules to follow? Maybe I mistook your europhilic tendency for you being a fan and all that was nothing but sarcasm?

• Options
    chestnutchestnut Posts: 7,341
    Tories have one point lead: CON 33%, LAB 32%, LD 8%, UKIP 15%, GRN 6%.
  • Options
    In case anyone gets over excited

1) Correlation doesn't imply causation

2) most of the fieldwork was done before Ed's awesome speech
  • Options
    @NickPalmer‌ are you sure that all Labour Party MPs and donors haven't made any of their personal wealth by legally avoiding tax through accidental loopholes? If not are you going to avoid any charges of hypocrisy by demanding of your leader that he ensures this isn't the case?

Or are your principles in fact a little flexible?
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,291
    What does Miliband propose to improve social mobility?

How does Labour propose to encourage aspiration rather than a culture of handouts and distorted incomes topped up by tax credits? Just asking for my better half.
  • Options

In case anyone gets over excited

1) Correlation doesn't imply causation

2) most of the fieldwork was done before Ed's awesome speech

Simply a continuation off the trend nothing more. No UKPR average update until next week then ;)
  • Options

YouGov/Sun poll tonight — Tories have one point lead: CON 33%, LAB 32%, LD 8%, UKIP 15%, GRN 6%

Is Ed Milliband the least popular leader Labour has ever had?
  • Options
    CROSSSSSSSS-OVERRRR.

Oh no wait, we don't get excited by that anymore.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

Well Labour supporters seem to think so.

I've been looking at the data for a thread, and I found an astonishing stat.

Margaret Thatcher's net rating in November 1990, just before she was removed as Tory leader was -46.

Ed's rating yesterday was -44.

So he's on a par with Maggie at her demise.
  • Options
    RodCrosbyRodCrosby Posts: 7,737
    Fourth Tory lead in November, and we're not even half way through the month.

Breakout by January still on the cards...
  • Options
    philiphphiliph Posts: 4,704

CROSSSSSSSS-OVERRRR.

What! Labour in the lead?
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 41,008
    Isn't this quite incredible from the lady who is campaigning to have Ched Evans banned from playing for Sheff utd?

Charlie Webster (@CharlieCW)
    10/09/2014 20:43
    Just bumped into Mike Tyson in the hotel lobby as I was randomly talking about him! I chickened out on asking for a photo...damn ;-)
  • Options

CROSSSSSSSS-OVERRRR.

Compouter says no.
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    Just heard the big news: John Major has spoken out against mass immigration.
  • Options
    Did Miliband say something today, it must have been profound and outstanding speech. Oh no, wait, I can't see a single mention of it on any front pages, must be those dark forces at hand again, that even the Indy, Guardian and Mirror don't give it a single column inch.
  • Options
    isam said:

Isn't this quite incredible from the lady who is campaigning to have Ched Evans banned from playing for Sheff utd?

Just bumped into Mike Tyson in the hotel lobby as I was randomly talking about him! I chickened out on asking for a photo...damn ;-)

She's an airhead.
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    isam said:

That's pretty funny! Have you or anyone else replied to her tweet to point out that Tyson may have something in common with Evans?
  • Options

isam said:

That's pretty funny! Have you or anyone else replied to her tweet to point out that Tyson may have something in common with Evans?
    Ched Evans' sister did a few weeks ago.
  • Options
    isam said:

Maybe a different Mike Tyson? Mike, the plumber, does a lot of work for charity, Tyson, from Wakefield?
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    RodCrosby said:

Do you think Ed will still be leader at the election no matter how bad the polls get?
  • Options

Sean_F said:

Well Labour supporters seem to think so.

I've been looking at the data for a thread, and I found an astonishing stat.

Margaret Thatcher's net rating in November 1990, just before she was removed as Tory leader was -46.

Ed's rating yesterday was -44.

So he's on a par with Maggie at her demise.
    The Conservatives are fortunate that Labour are so loyal to their leaders.

• Options
    ZenPagan said:

They are based in Luxembourg because EU rules allow it. Aren't you one of those that always bleat on about how we can't pick and choose which of the club rules to follow? Maybe I mistook your europhilic tendency for you being a fan and all that was nothing but sarcasm?

I do not bleat on about picking the rules.

All that I am proposing is that tax is paid on earnings made in this country.

It does not discriminate against EU firms to do so. A tax on turnover for example.
  • Options
    edited November 2014

isam said:

Ched Evans' sister pointed it out to her a few weeks ago.
  • Options
    ZenPagan said:

Then we should change the rules. It's not so much a problem that Amazon can base themselves in Luxembourg, the problem is that they can count sales that are manifestly made in the UK, from UK warehouses, etc, as being made from Luxembourg. This pretence is nothing but a fiction written on paper for the purpose of reducing a tax liability. If we don't wish to allow it to continue then we should convince our EU partners of our case and have the rules changed.
  • Options

isam said:

Oh, didn't check the date.. Did Webster reply?
  • Options
    TykejohnnoTykejohnno Posts: 7,362

isam said:

She's an airhead.
    So is Miliband after his ukip attack.
  • Options
    compouter2compouter2 Posts: 2,371
    TGOHF said:

CROSSSSSSSS-OVERRRR.

Compouter says no.
    But Basil says YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEESSSSSSS!!!
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 41,008

isam said:

Plenty of other people have, I haven't

Doesn't this devalue everything she has said on the issue ? I don't know if I am missing something obvious, but it's just breathtaking from where I am standing. I just don't get it!
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

RodCrosby said:

Do you think Ed will still be leader at the election no matter how bad the polls get?
    For the Conservatives, it's a piece of undeserved good luck.

Very few people dislike Ed Milliband; they just pity him.

• Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,291
    The Court of Public Opinion on Ched Evans is still in session on Twitter. Doesn't look like part of the Justice System to me.
  • Options
    edited November 2014

isam said:

Oh, didn't check the date.. Did Webster reply?
    Not directly to the tweet, she did on the radio.

(I didn't hear it myself, but heard it anecdotally, as you can imagine, it's a major topic in Sheffield)

A lot of people agree with Charlie Webster, it's a subject she's been campaigning on for years, given her history.
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    Newsnight: Nasa rep thinks man will be in orbit round Mars in the 2030s. He will be a Chinaman, I would wager.

Buzz Aldin -looking good for 84 - wearing a 'Get Your Ass to Mars' jumper.
  • Options
    edited November 2014

ZenPagan said:

Then we should change the rules. It's not so much a problem that Amazon can base themselves in Luxembourg, the problem is that they can count sales that are manifestly made in the UK, from UK warehouses, etc, as being made from Luxembourg. This pretence is nothing but a fiction written on paper for the purpose of reducing a tax liability. If we don't wish to allow it to continue then we should convince our EU partners of our case and have the rules changed.
    As other EU countries would improve their tax receipts too, I suspect they would be quite open to the move.
  • Options
    JohnOJohnO Posts: 4,215
    Sean_F said:

AndyJS said:

RodCrosby said:

Somehow I feel you'd like to return to the Blues, notwithstanding your recent post that your were now relieved not to be a Tory. I suspect you may not be altogether comfortable with some elements of UKIP policy.
  • Options
    isam said:

isam said:

Plenty of other people have, I haven't

Doesn't this devalue everything she has said on the issue ? I don't know if I am missing something obvious, but it's just breathtaking from where I am standing. I just don't get it!
    Entirely agree. But would this being widely known make any difference to his situation? Is she that important to it?
  • Options
    JohnO said:

Sean_F said:

AndyJS said:

RodCrosby said:

Somehow I feel you'd like to return to the Blues, notwithstanding your recent post that your were now relieved not to be a Tory. I suspect you may not be altogether comfortable with some elements of UKIP policy.
    Sean F is Douglas Carswell ?!?
This discussion has been closed.