Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Local By-Election Preview: November 6th 2014

SystemSystem Posts: 11,700
edited November 2014 in General

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Local By-Election Preview: November 6th 2014

Mevagissey on Cornwall (Lab Defence)
Result of council at last election (2013): Independents 37, Liberal Democrats 36, Conservatives 31, Labour 8, UKIP 6, Mebyon Kernow 4, Green 1 (No Overall Control, Independents short by 25)
Result of ward at last election (2013): Labour 391 (30%), UKIP 363 (28%), Conservative 316 (24%), Liberal Democrats 184 (14%), Green 62 (7%)
Candidates duly nominated:

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,290
    First.

o/t Plodsters demonstrate pepper spray to and on kids.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-29944507

Another accidental discharge...
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    Ed only 2nd story on ITV news. Must do better, although Matt is pretty good tomorrow

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/matt/
  • Options
    The Times editorial is urging Labour not to ditch Ed.

My subscription to The Times will definitely be renewed after that.
  • Options
    @iainmartin1: Shocking scenes here at the DUEMA (Don't Underestimate Ed Mili Association) emergency meeting… chaos… word is Gordon Brown speaking next.
  • Options
    Just back in...

Phew -

Spurs held on against those Greek Champions League winning prospects, Fazio sent off AGAIN, and Ed's still in situ....
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,991
    edited November 2014
    Cornwall not following the national script then? Who would have guessed.

Cornwall Council looks like a very interesting one. I believe at one point they only had 1 Labour member out of 120 or so, which must have been a lonely time, but now the council seems to have a good mix of larger and smaller groups.
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,894

You could really do with a more manly bag.

Much better than a subscription to that rag.
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,691
    @TheWatcher asked "You want the Labour Party to split?"

Not in the sense of a break-away party (SDP Mark 2), but I would like people who do not share the values of the party to let their memberships lapse, those in elected office decide to retire and either find another party better suited to them or exit politics altogether.
  • Options

I'm never ditching the Times.

It is the reason why I became guest editor of PB.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

@iainmartin1: Shockinhe's scenes here at the DUEMA (Don't Underestimate Ed Mili Association) emergency meeting… chaos… word is Gordon Brown speaking next.

I am a member of the splinter group. EICBHOC. Ed is crap but hes our crap
  • Options
    it's like the last 9 years never existed.... he could be an ex Labour Minister.

Douglas Carswell MP ✔ @DouglasCarswell
    Banking crisis revealed banks no good at banking. Anti politics storm revealing established political parties no good at politics.
  • Options
    Earlier this week Simon Danczuk, the labour MP for Rochdale, is understood to have told David Watts, the head of the Parliamentary Labour Party, that it is time for Mr Miliband to go. Three other MPs are said to have done the same.

Ian Austin, the Labour MP for Dudley North, is also said to have told friends that it is time for Mr Miliband to go.

One Labour MP said that Mr Miliband's leadership crisis is the "talk of the tea room" and that there are "dozens" of labour MPs preparing to formally request his resignation.
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/ed-miliband/11214886/Ed-Miliband-How-Labour-rebels-turned-on-their-leader.html
  • Options
    It's lucky for Ed, Daniel Levy isn't in charge of hiring and firing Labour leaders.

Ed Miliband = Christian Gross?
  • Options

Really I thought Mike just liked your shoes.
    It's all down to the Paywall is it.
    You are my favourite guest editor.
    Are there any others btw?
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,988
    edited November 2014
    @Flightpath

Yes Harold Wood Hospital was closed in 2006 and is going to be used to house Newham overspill, as are the new flats at Queens, and the land at St Georges in Hornchurch.

You are right, £260m was spent building Queens Hospital wto replace Oldchurch.. money well spent you think?

"The trust running Queen’s Hospital has been put into special measures after a watchdog issued a damning report exposing unsafe A&Es, understaffing, long waiting times and poor planning."

http://www.romfordrecorder.co.uk/news/health/queen_s_hospital_trust_put_into_special_measures_after_damning_cqc_report_1_3124079

'Boy with broken arm uses floor for bed at busy Queen’s Hospital

Ms Ahmed added: “He was treated like he was an animal.”'

http://www.romfordrecorder.co.uk/news/health/pictured_boy_with_broken_arm_uses_floor_for_bed_at_busy_queen_s_hospital_1_3835970

So the Hospitals are already shocking, and in a mess, there will be fewer of them soon, as King Georges A&E is closing and more people are being housed on the sites of the old ones, despite pleas from local people that Boris chose to ignore

http://www.romfordrecorder.co.uk/news/boris_snub_is_such_an_insult_claims_harold_wood_residents_1_778766

My mates wife gave birth in Queens last week, and came home rather than stay the night in what she described as a prison... this was her 3rd child. When she first gave birth at Queens they were using the disabled bogs to deliver children as they were so overcrowded
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,563
    edited November 2014

David Herdson, Double Carpet, and much lamented Morus have sat in the hot seat.

All three of us have come to the conclusion, Mike should never be allowed to go on holiday ever again.
  • Options
    Simon Danzuck what a surprise.
    He is my number one potential Ukip defector.
    He depths more than Socrates with right wing frothiness
  • Options

David Herdson, Double Carpet, and much lamented Morus have sat in the hot seat.

All three of us have come to the conclusion, Mike should never be allowed to go on holiday ever again.
    You are definitely in my top 3
  • Options
    philiphphiliph Posts: 4,704

Not sure his wife would allow him to defect.
  • Options
    Who was Morus?

Morus Dancer?
  • Options
    philiph said:

When it comes to his wife, I don't care, so long as she keeps on doing selfies
  • Options
    edited November 2014

Banking crisis revealed banks no good at banking. Anti politics storm revealing established political parties no good at politics.

I'm beginning to turn on Carswell, primarily because while he did seem a more open, honest and direct MP before, he's beginning to get really smug sounding on things which, if he believes them now, why did he not 1 year ago, or 5 years ago, when he makes what he is now espousing seem so obvious. Finally waking up to the fact the party he was in was not for him, at least as it is currently led, which is fair enough, does not explain away the breadth of his comments or extent of his derision of old parties he was perfectly happy with before.
  • Options
    @Sun_Politics: YouGov/Sun poll tonight - Labour lead by one: CON 32%, LAB 33%, LD 8%, UKIP 15%, GRN 7%
  • Options

philiph said:

Harem material?
  • Options
    edited November 2014

Who was Morus?

Morus Dancer?

Was a poster on PB then he grew up and got a job. He posted on the tenth anniversary thread.

He tipped at 50/1 Cathy Ashton as the EU Foreign Affairs Representative.

He also once blogged about meeting Lord Rennard

http://www1.politicalbetting.com/index.php/archives/2008/08/31/moruss-denver-diary-2/

Edit: The irony of that tip was, he was in America, and was unable to take advantage of his own tip
  • Options

It's lucky for Ed, Daniel Levy isn't in charge of hiring and firing Labour leaders.

Have you ever seen Gross and IDS in the same room though....
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,359
    Scott_P said:

@Sun_Politics: YouGov/Sun poll tonight - Labour lead by one: CON 32%, LAB 33%, LD 8%, UKIP 15%, GRN 7%

How peaceful.
  • Options

philiph said:

Harem material?
    I'll let you judge

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2014/06/08/karen-danczuk-labour-mps-wife-posts-revealing-selfies-on-twitter_n_5469683.html
  • Options
    @thetimes: Tomorrow's front page:
    Secret plan for end of Miliband http://t.co/7pi8zi0pAy http://t.co/B0rEJsiERB
  • Options

philiph said:

Indeed, and it is a win double because it annoys Louise Mensch into the bargain

• Options
    chestnutchestnut Posts: 7,341
    Another one pointer. Populus will probably be the same or a tie tomorrow

We're in a rut until Rochester, then Ozzie's autumn statement
  • Options

Scott_P said:

How peaceful.
    Much more than 29%. Milliband crisis over.
  • Options

Have you ever seen Gross and IDS in the same room though....
    Now that you mention it....
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,519

It does seem to be a right wing insurgency -wasn't Ian Austin the one saying Labour should apologise for immigration recently?

• Options
    Scrapheap_as_wasScrapheap_as_was Posts: 10,059
    edited November 2014
    kle4 said:

I'm beginning to turn on Carswell, primarily because while he did seem a more open, honest and direct MP before, he's beginning to get really smug sounding on things which, if he believes them now, why did he not 1 year ago, or 5 years ago, when he makes what he is now espousing seem so obvious. Finally waking up to the fact the party he was in was not for him, at least as it is currently led, which is fair enough, does not explain away the breadth of his comments or extent of his derision of old parties he was perfectly happy with before.
    Watch the Rees Mogg video today (on the Telegraph site) and listen to a Tory who could easily be UKIP and indeed some speculated he might defect (especially in that weird UKIP PR stunt which ended up being a nobody contributor down in Somerset), absolutely destroy Reckless whilst being ever so polite about it and which you could apply to Carswell too. Rees Mogg is one EU headbanger I love, in a manly way.
  • Options
    SquareRootSquareRoot Posts: 7,095

Scott_P said:

How peaceful.
    So what's going on then Mr Palmer???, you always have your ear to the ground. I mean you told us nothing was going on when Brown was being plotted against, is that still the case with the hapless ED?
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

@thetimes: Tomorrow's front page:
    Secret plan for end of Miliband http://t.co/7pi8zi0pAy http://t.co/B0rEJsiERB

It's not that bloody secret.

It's all over the papers!
  • Options
    @SkyNews: MAIL FRONT PAGE: "Bonfire night plot to oust Ed" #skypapers http://t.co/799k5hCjto
  • Options
    edited November 2014

kle4 said:

Watch the Rees Mogg video today (on the Telegraph site) and listen to a Tory who could easily be UKIP and indeed some speculated it might defect, absolutely destroy Reckless whilst being ever so polite about it and which you could apply to Carswell too. Rees Mogg is one EU headbanger I love, in a manly way.
    It was great, his son was brilliant.

I'm prepared to let Jake Rees-Mogg join our new Dry but not obsessed with the EU and Gays Tory Party.
  • Options
    NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (unless its Yvette)

2m Tim Montgomerie ✔ @montie
    Tmrw's splash in @TheTimes: Secret plan for the end of Miliband pic.twitter.com/eGxSD8q2sR
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Well at least you think he means it! A lot of people on here seem to think Farage has him gagged and bound at UKIP HQ and forces him to say things he doesn't mean on twitter when he lets him out to attend the HofC!
  • Options

It's all over the papers!

Kudos to Lucy Powell !
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    Farage on QT - what a turn up for the books.
  • Options
    Blimey

Two leading candidates to replace Ed Miliband have opened secret negotiations on what to do should he step down, according to senior figures in the Labour party.

Yvette Cooper, the shadow home secretary, and Andy Burnham, the shadow health secretary, are said to have spoken about a post-Miliband future amid a growing revolt among Labour MPs.

“It’s about presenting a joint offer to make a contest unnecessary,” one figure said, suggesting that Ms Cooper and Mr Burnham have struck a non-aggression pact as the party’s poll ratings fall.

http://www.thetimes.co.uk/tto/news/politics/article4260251.ece
  • Options
    Tonights YG ishmael X was right
    EICiPM

Karen D bloody hell

I am a new follower don't tell Mrs BJ
  • Options

kle4 said:

Watch the Rees Mogg video today (on the Telegraph site) and listen to a Tory who could easily be UKIP and indeed some speculated it might defect, absolutely destroy Reckless whilst being ever so polite about it and which you could apply to Carswell too. Rees Mogg is one EU headbanger I love, in a manly way.

I'm prepared to let Jake Rees-Mogg join our new Dry but not obsessed with the EU and Gays Tory Party.
    done - He can be the Ken Clarke figure in our party but in reverse.
  • Options
    ArtistArtist Posts: 1,882
    The Times says Cooper and Burnham have formed a non aggression pact should Miliband leave.

So presumably Cooper will stand aside and let Burnham have a free run.
  • Options
    isam said:

kle4 said:

Well at least you think he means it! A lot of people on here seem to think Farage has him gagged and bound at UKIP HQ and forces him to say things he doesn't mean on twitter when he lets him out to attend the HofC!
    Sorry, you'll have to ask the UKIP MEPs about that.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Yes, very sad. It's also ironic that the man who invented elected police commissioners is rapidly turning himself into the Russell Brand of the hard right - a preening nihilist and rabble rouser.
  • Options
    Newsnight quoting un-named Labour figure. "We elected someone out of his depth. We can't go into the New Year like this"
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,989

kle4 said:

This sounds like a party I would join ;)
  • Options
    john_zimsjohn_zims Posts: 3,399
    @kle4

'I'm beginning to turn on Carswell'

He does sound very fond of his own voice with the endless drivel he posts on twitter
  • Options
    Yvette will be Ed in a dress - can't belive Labour would elect another empty vessel.
  • Options
    Artist said:

The Times says Cooper and Burnham have formed a non aggression pact should Miliband leave.

So presumably Cooper will stand aside and let Burnham have a free run.

NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

FECK !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

YVETTE - come on if you are on PB as Hugh, Ave IT, Sunil or Socrates or whatever the ID, just make sure it's you who takes over from Ed!!!!
  • Options
    RobD said:

kle4 said:

You're very welcome to join us.
  • Options

Blimey

Two leading candidates to replace Ed Miliband have opened secret negotiations on what to do should he step down, according to senior figures in the Labour party.

Yvette Cooper, the shadow home secretary, and Andy Burnham, the shadow health secretary, are said to have spoken about a post-Miliband future amid a growing revolt among Labour MPs.

“It’s about presenting a joint offer to make a contest unnecessary,” one figure said, suggesting that Ms Cooper and Mr Burnham have struck a non-aggression pact as the party’s poll ratings fall.

http://www.thetimes.co.uk/tto/news/politics/article4260251.ece

Labour stitch ups, secret deals and coronations have a great recent success rate in leadership 'elections'

Never learn!
  • Options
    isam said:

kle4 said:

I'm sure he may through gritted teeth have to force out some standard UKIP attack lines, or not comment on things within UKIP that do not accord with his own views, but I think his general tone is the passion of the converted, which in my experience can result in total lack of self awareness - in his case, while he was never fully comfortable before and was never going to be a compliant party hack, I don't think he hated every aspect of it as much as his current comments give the impression he surely must have, to the degree it seems impossible he stayed with the Conservatives as long as he did. I'm also sure he does still have good memories and friends among the Tories, but the level of his rhetoric naturally overlooks that much of the time.
  • Options
    john_zims said:

@kle4

He does sound very fond of his own voice with the endless drivel he posts on twitter

Had to unfollow him - trite platitudes.
  • Options

EICiPM

Karen D bloody hell

It's scary that we blues know about these Labour ladies before their own camp do... that's probably not a good thing.
  • Options
    edited November 2014

EICiPM

Karen D bloody hell

Note to self.

During my next stint as guest editor, I'll embed some tweets from her into the thread headers.
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    A stunningly bad report for Ed Miliband currently on Newsnight, presented by Allegra Stratton.
  • Options
    @MichaelPDeacon: "Only the other day I was walking in my local park when three of the Shadow Cabinet hit me with a spade and buried me by a tree"
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

Eh?
  • Options
    TykejohnnoTykejohnno Posts: 7,362

Leah Kreitzman @lkreitzman

EU migrants add £20bn to economy in a decade. And a whole lot more that's unquantified. Great front page @Independent pic.twitter.com/Cod8izzVgB

The left really have lost it's soul,it's not always about money.
  • Options

EICiPM

Karen D bloody hell

Note to self.

During my next stint as guest editor, I'll embed some tweets from her into the thread headers.
    I missread that first time.

Tweets / Tits very easy to confuse.
  • Options
    @MSmithsonPB: My normally very helpful LAB inside source has gone quiet on me. Interesting

@MShapland: #Milicrisis not over yet - all sorts going on behind the scenes - failing to wield the knife is what did for Labour in 2010
  • Options
    If Labour figures are starting to worry about their own seats, have they got internal polling or something that is making them believe that, or are they just going through their own version of the regular Tory panics we've seen over the past 4 years, when large numbers lose their heads over a sustained difficult period. One good thing about being down in the polls several years ago I guess is the Tories have had time to acclimate to such numbers without panicking, whether they should be or not.
  • Options
    philiph said:

EICiPM

Karen D bloody hell

Note to self.

I missread that first time.

Tweets / Tits very easy to confuse.
    *titter*

I'll get me coat....
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

@MSmithsonPB: My normally very helpful LAB inside source has gone quiet on me. Interesting

@MShapland: #Milicrisis not over yet - all sorts going on behind the scenes - failing to wield the knife is what did for Labour in 2010

Bloody hell has [moderated] gone silent.

Be afraid Ed, be very afraid.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

Ed only 2nd story on ITV news. Must do better, although Matt is pretty good tomorrow

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/matt/

Only 2nd – that’s a little unfair on Lucy Powell - she's only been in the job one day.
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

You need a new TV, or better still a new brain.
  • Options
    john_zimsjohn_zims Posts: 3,399
    edited November 2014
    @Scott_P

Was that before he met Gareth senior in IT?
  • Options

RobD said:

kle4 said:

Simple questions to join:

Bercow = tosser or not as bad as people say

Reckless = pig-dog traitor or principled slap head

PB thread who you'd ignore = Ave It or Hugh

Answer those 3 correctly and you get a free membership card (after paying £10 to TSE and I)
  • Options

Scott_P said:

Bloody hell has [moderated] gone silent.

Be afraid Ed, be very afraid.
    Oh no! Not [moderated]!
  • Options

Chris Gibson @ChrisGibsonNews

And even Norway's PM, Erna Solberg- an ally of Cameron - says freedom of movement is "ideologically important as a Conservative".

Chris Gibson @ChrisGibsonNews

Finnish PM Alex Stubb tells @bbcnickrobinson "UK should be rewarded with an EU medal for opening the borders unlike Germany, France"

• Options
    MikeKMikeK Posts: 9,053
    isam said:

TGOHF said:

Eh?
    No, and QT has the usual rent a crowd gallery.
  • Options
    Just had a nibble on the 6/1 on Shadsy has on Ed not to be the Lab leader at the election
  • Options

RobD said:

kle4 said:

Answer those 3 correctly and you get a free membership card (after paying £10 to TSE and I)
    Easy - AAB... the cheque is in the post ;)
  • Options

TGOHF said:

Nigel,the front of the times should interest you,the top of the page story ;-)

http://www.politicshome.com/uk/article/107846/the_times_thursday_6th_november_2014.html

• Options

Leah Kreitzman @lkreitzman

EU migrants add £20bn to economy in a decade. And a whole lot more that's unquantified. Great front page @Independent pic.twitter.com/Cod8izzVgB

The left really have lost it's soul,it's not always about money.

Quite so. I'm in an area where the number of Polish residents alone had an increase of more than 1000% (admittedly from a low base) between 2001 and 2011. Hasn't affected me in any way as far as I am aware, but I know for certain that large numbers of people round here would not give a damn about some economic figures talking up the positive impact of EU migrants, even if they accepted it as incontestable fact.
  • Options
    Young kid in QT audience about Ed Miliband

"You can't polish a turd"
  • Options
    @BethRigby: RT "@JakeReesMogg: Mr Miliband is an outstanding Labour leader. He has rendered his party unelectable. #bbcqt” -> ouch + we'll see come 2015
  • Options

TGOHF said:

Oh it's Melanie Philips - my bad.
  • Options
    @BBCNewsnight: Labour prob won't get rid of Miliband but "they are doomed": SNP, UKIP, Greens eating away at the vote, @jennirsl #newsnight
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    TGOHF said:

john_zims said:

@kle4

Had to unfollow him - trite platitudes.
    Oh surely not, nothing but profound insights I am sure. You are probably just still too much in the thrall of mainstream media and the political class. Or something.

In all fairness, as long as he continues to speak his mind and throw out some ideas - some of which I like, some of which I don't - then he's contributing something meaningful to the national debate, which is a plus.
  • Options
    FlightpathFlightpath Posts: 4,012
    kle4 said:

isam said:

kle4 said:

I'm sure he may through gritted teeth have to force out some standard UKIP attack lines, or not comment on things within UKIP that do not accord with his own views, but I think his general tone is the passion of the converted, which in my experience can result in total lack of self awareness - in his case, while he was never fully comfortable before and was never going to be a compliant party hack, I don't think he hated every aspect of it as much as his current comments give the impression he surely must have, to the degree it seems impossible he stayed with the Conservatives as long as he did. I'm also sure he does still have good memories and friends among the Tories, but the level of his rhetoric naturally overlooks that much of the time.
    Who is using who? Either way, Carswell's logic is pretty warped.
  • Options

TGOHF said:

Nigel,the front of the times should interest you,the top of the page story ;-)

http://www.politicshome.com/uk/article/107846/the_times_thursday_6th_november_2014.html

Excellent! Maidenhead is on the Bucks border and they have obviously seen how well the whole education system is performing in South Bucks.

Watching QT I think I detest Douglas Alexander more than any other politician, he is the kind of person who turns people off politics altogether.

He just said 'politics at it's best is all about finding solutions to problems', without being remotely self aware that most of the problems are caused by politicians in the first place.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

If Labour figures are starting to worry about their own seats, have they got internal polling or something that is making them believe that, or are they just going through their own version of the regular Tory panics we've seen over the past 4 years, when large numbers lose their heads over a sustained difficult period. One good thing about being down in the polls several years ago I guess is the Tories have had time to acclimate to such numbers without panicking, whether they should be or not.

The Scottish polling currently takes it to a whole new level and that likely will have the biggest Labour beast remaining mighty disturbed (even though his own seat would likely survive). If Brown (whose foot soldiers are largely still in place) is moving against Miliband now then this could be serious for Miliband...........
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    In this piece I'm reading in the Times, Lab MPs think there's two things that will happen after the new year and continue to the election, which will make their position worse

1) Some 2010 LD to Lab switchers will go back to the LDs or go to the Greens

2) Some 2010 Con to UKIP switchers will go back to the Blues

So they think a polling situation of Con 35, Lab 27 isn't out of the question

Which would be a bigger Tory lead in 2015 than in 2010.
  • Options
    Scrapheap_as_wasScrapheap_as_was Posts: 10,059
    edited November 2014
    RobD said:

RobD said:

kle4 said:

Easy - AAB... the cheque is in the post ;)
    Close enough - we're not that fussy. However the correct answer to the first question was both answers! As a resident in the people's republic of bercow I can see both sides - how liberal tory can you get!!!!
  • Options

kle4 said:

isam said:

kle4 said:

Who is using who?
    Hey, they're all grown ups here; I'm sure they are using each other, and welcome to do so, and for all I know it's working great, even if personally I think he needs to dial it down a notch in order to remain plausible.
  • Options
    Lucy scores another front page!

@politicshome: Tomorrow’s Independent front page: Miliband fights for his political life http://t.co/cWLAVf3QWl
  • Options
    isam said:

Unkind of them. Honestly I don't see what is so bad about Ed M beyond being, apart from the occasional eye catching pronouncement, bland even by our political class' standards. Granted, not being able to inspire may be enough to rile up many in his own ranks getting concerned, but I am surprised at the level of disdain the polling shows for him.
  • Options
    FlightpathFlightpath Posts: 4,012
    isam said:

@Flightpath

Yes Harold Wood Hospital was closed in 2006 and is going to be used to house Newham overspill, as are the new flats at Queens, and the land at St Georges in Hornchurch.

You are right, £260m was spent building Queens Hospital wto replace Oldchurch.. money well spent you think?

"The trust running Queen’s Hospital has been put into special measures after a watchdog issued a damning report exposing unsafe A&Es, understaffing, long waiting times and poor planning."

http://www.romfordrecorder.co.uk/news/health/queen_s_hospital_trust_put_into_special_measures_after_damning_cqc_report_1_3124079

'Boy with broken arm uses floor for bed at busy Queen’s Hospital

Ms Ahmed added: “He was treated like he was an animal.”'

http://www.romfordrecorder.co.uk/news/health/pictured_boy_with_broken_arm_uses_floor_for_bed_at_busy_queen_s_hospital_1_3835970

So the Hospitals are already shocking, and in a mess, there will be fewer of them soon, as King Georges A&E is closing and more people are being housed on the sites of the old ones, despite pleas from local people that Boris chose to ignore

http://www.romfordrecorder.co.uk/news/boris_snub_is_such_an_insult_claims_harold_wood_residents_1_778766

My mates wife gave birth in Queens last week, and came home rather than stay the night in what she described as a prison... this was her 3rd child. When she first gave birth at Queens they were using the disabled bogs to deliver children as they were so overcrowded

You can like or not like the new hospital and how Labour built it, but the fact that 2 hospitals closed and facilities provided in a new building elsewhere is not something of itself to be critical of. You are trying to roll all that up into some wider conspiracy.
    For some reason you object to new houses being built. Thats your problem - amongst a lot of others.
  • Options
    Moses_Moses_ Posts: 4,865
    Scott_P said:

Newsnight quoting un-named Labour figure. "We elected someone out of his depth. We can't go into the New Year like this"

From what I can remember they didn't elect him Len appointed him to the gasps of the conference attendees.

• Options
    kle4 said:

isam said:

Unkind of them. Honestly I don't see what is so bad about Ed M beyond being, apart from the occasional eye catching pronouncement, bland even by our political class' standards. Granted, not being able to inspire may be enough to rile up many in his own ranks getting concerned, but I am surprised at the level of disdain the polling shows for him.
    It is IDS syndrome.

He's someone who can't even inspire his own side, so the rest of the country won't back him either.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,927
    So, if Milliband is forced out, does it help or hinder Labour?

The Australians regularly chop and change leaders.
  • Options

kle4 said:

The Scottish polling currently takes it to a whole new level and that likely will have the biggest Labour beast remaining mighty disturbed (even though his own seat would likely survive). If Brown (whose foot soldiers are largely still in place) is moving against Miliband now then this could be serious for Miliband...........
    In a way then the anti-Ed's must be thankful for the Scottish polling - it seems to be the only truly disastrous potentiality which has come forward which could act as a catalyst for change; merely having a poor conference and his personal polling not doing well would not manage that, but I guess the threat of losing Scotland could stir up more concrete trouble.

If he fights this off, as seems to be the consensus, and can keep a lid on future eruptions of malcontentedness, perhaps it will make him look strong. Then again, people still give him crap for taking on his brother, which as a younger brother myself I had no issue with.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

So, if Milliband is forced out, does it help or hinder Labour?

The Australians regularly chop and change leaders.

Depends on who they select as his replacement.
  • Options
    It’s here at last. The long spasm of pointless division in the parliamentary Labour party. Senior sources (never junior ones) are out in force, enjoying the malicious freedom of anonymity. Something must be done
    http://www.thetimes.co.uk/tto/opinion/thunderer/article4260052.ece
This discussion has been closed.