Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Labour’s melting firewall: almost a third of LD switchers h

SystemSystem Posts: 11,707
edited November 2014 in General

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Labour’s melting firewall: almost a third of LD switchers have since left since 2012

For a long time it looked as if two factors were going to deliver the keys to Downing Street to Ed Miliband. The first was that in the first six months of the parliament, around two-fifths of the Lib Dems’ 2010 vote switched to Labour and appeared firmly embedded there.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    First!
  • Options
    Danny565Danny565 Posts: 8,091
    edited November 2014
    If I'm understanding the charts right, this shows this really isn't "swingback" in any meaningful sense. The Con->Lab swing is barely changed on 2012 (or the reverse Lab->Con swing). The big change has been Labour leaking so many votes to the SNP, the Greens and UKIP due to complacency about how those votes were in the bag and how they had to be chasing the mythical "centre ground" votes instead.
  • Options
    Fascinating analysis as ever Mr Herdson.

On the Scottish question, John Curtice:

Even on these rather less dramatic figures than those produced by Ipsos MORI, Labour’s Scottish representation at Westminster could fall to just 10 seats, while the SNP might have 47. To avoid such a fate it looks as though the party will badly need to persuade voters that it puts Scotland first (and at the moment only 24% trust the favourite to be Labour’s next Scottish leader, Jim Murphy, in the debate about Scotland’s future, half as many as trust the SNP’s new leader in waiting, Nicola Sturgeon).

http://blog.whatscotlandthinks.org/2014/10/yougov-confirm-snp-well-ahead/
  • Options
    MikeSmithsonMikeSmithson Posts: 7,382
    edited November 2014
    David. Good analysis except that it is based on YouGov which does not produce it's data in a way that can be analysed like this. It is the worst of all the pollsters on this point.

Could you let us know how you went about the data collection task? How actually were the above number calculated?

The best pollsters from a data presentation point of view are Populus and Lord Ashcroft.
  • Options
    NinoinozNinoinoz Posts: 1,312
    "By contrast, the leakage of the 2010 Con vote to UKIP has increased; something that is unlikely to be stemmed if Rochester becomes the second UKIP by-election win this year (a feat which would, incidentally, make UKIP only the fourth GB party to win two by-elections in the same parliament since WWII, counting the Lib Dems’ family tree as one block)."

So UKIP about to break another record.

This is starting to get boring!
  • Options
    GadflyGadfly Posts: 1,191
    There is a surplus "since" in the headline, which rather mangles it.
  • Options
    audreyanneaudreyanne Posts: 1,376
    edited November 2014
    Good analysis David. I always enjoy your Saturday threads. Re. your comment 'The common thread of course is that all the major parties have lost support to the minor ones' … doesn't this happen every mid-term parliament? I'd love to see some comparison with like-for-like mid-term polling in previous parliaments because my hunch is that this always happens.

People flirt with alternatives in mid-terms and by elections. That's what they are for. When it comes to the real thing, people get serious. I base that on decades of observation and what people are telling me on the street right now.

Just going semi O/T, but which relates to your Scotland paragraph, I would be extremely interested to see some London polling because I have a strong sense (hunch again) that Labour are going to out-perform in London to their national share, and if every seat counts this could be very important.
  • Options
    MillsyMillsy Posts: 900
    edited November 2014
    Nice data. The key of course is how things have changed over the years and recent months, which is bad for the Tories but worse for Labour and the Lib Dems.
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548

Good analysis David. I always enjoy your Saturday threads. Re. your comment 'The common thread of course is that all the major parties have lost support to the minor ones' … doesn't this happen every mid-term parliament? I'd love to see some comparison with like-for-like mid-term polling in previous parliaments because my hunch is that this always happens.

People flirt with alternatives in mid-terms and by elections. That's what they are for. When it comes to the real thing, people get serious. I base that on decades of observation and what people are telling me on the street right now.

Just going semi O/T, but which relates to your Scotland paragraph, I would be extremely interested to see some London polling because I have a strong sense (hunch again) that Labour are going to out-perform in London to their national share, and if every seat counts this could be very important.

We are no longer mid term. We are six months off the GE. Normally the trend to 3rd (or 4th and 5th) party is stalled or reversing at this point, but instead it is accelerating.

As Dorothy remarked - We are not in Kansas anymore.
  • Options
    "Similarly, Lib Dem losses to the Greens have trebled from one to three per cent in the same time period"

This is what is going to turn heavy loss into catastrophe for the Libdems, even in supposedly safe seats like Yeovil. (where Greens didn;t stand in 2010) handing a score of Libdem seats to the tories.
  • Options

Labour out-performed in London last time. Have you allowed for that? (It doesn't mean you're wrong, of course, it could well be part of a continuing trend. Every Tory candidate in London should have met Boris by now and have a hand-crafted endorsement from him ready to print. BoJo is all you have going for you in the Big Wen.)
  • Options

We are no longer mid term. We are six months off the GE. Normally the trend to 3rd (or 4th and 5th) party is stalled or reversing at this point, but instead it is accelerating.

No I don't agree. We are still mid-term. As Lord A remarked based on polling this autumn: 'the general election might as well be 8 years away rather than 8 months'

Fixed term parliaments changed the narrative. Few people outside cliques like this are thinking one iota about a general election.

It's mid-term.
  • Options
    A great thread DH.

The complexity of the movements between the various parties, and the possible variation across the country (I suspect more Lab to UKIP switchers in Essex and fewer in Hampstead for example) does make for more unpredictability than other recent elections. Even more than in previous elections it does need to be broken down into individual seat contests.

Both of the big two parties are going to have to defend a lot of what have historically looked like safe seats, and from different directions too. Individual knowledge of individual seats, and voting trends within them has always been a strength of this site, it matters more than ever this time round. Some Ashcroft style analysis of specific individual seats would be interesting for betting purposes.
  • Options

Exactly. My worry is that we are in Weimar.

One thing Ed M might usefully do would be to table a Bill limiting the Five Year Act to this Parliament - "it was an appropriate measure to deal with a particular set of circumstances, but Parliaments should not seek to bind their successors" or some such. Cammo might even be grateful to him!

• Options

No I don't agree. We are still mid-term. As Lord A remarked based on polling this autumn: 'the general election might as well be 8 years away rather than 8 months'

Fixed term parliaments changed the narrative. Few people outside cliques like this are thinking one iota about a general election.

It's mid-term.
    Few people outside cliques like this even know it's a fixed-term Parliament.

• Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    Ninoinoz said:

"By contrast, the leakage of the 2010 Con vote to UKIP has increased; something that is unlikely to be stemmed if Rochester becomes the second UKIP by-election win this year (a feat which would, incidentally, make UKIP only the fourth GB party to win two by-elections in the same parliament since WWII, counting the Lib Dems’ family tree as one block)."

After yesterday's Kipper flop the question remains - without a turncoat Tory incumbency bonus, can the Kippers win anywhere ?
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

Ninoinoz said:

After yesterday's Kipper flop the question remains - without a turncoat Tory incumbency bonus, can the Kippers win anywhere ?
    Suddenly, there's a lot of Tory Whistling In The Wind. Still, you've got to credit their tribalism, which seems to be far stronger than anyone else's.
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,913

It's mid-term.
    No it isn't.
  • Options

One thing Ed M might usefully do would be to table a Bill limiting the Five Year Act to this Parliament - "it was an appropriate measure to deal with a particular set of circumstances, but Parliaments should not seek to bind their successors" or some such. Cammo might even be grateful to him!

One reason that we are no longer in Kansas is that this is the first postwar coalition government. That really did break the mould of British politics, though perhaps not in the way the LDs intended.

The nearest parallel to the current situation is the National government of the early 1930's in Britain, not the Weimar governments in Germany. That coalition finished off the Liberals for two generations, and put a major split in Labour too. It was only by the 1950's that a true two party system emerged, and for so long seemed immoveable.

Coalitions are the mechanism of party destruction, merger and rebirth. To expect the usual trends of two party politics to apply this time round is willfully blind.
  • Options

Coalitions are the mechanism of party destruction, merger and rebirth. To expect the usual trends of two party politics to apply this time round is willfully blind.

Nice insight.
  • Options

One reason that we are no longer in Kansas is that this is the first postwar coalition government. That really did break the mould of British politics, though perhaps not in the way the LDs intended.

The nearest parallel to the current situation is the National government of the early 1930's in Britain, not the Weimar governments in Germany. That coalition finished off the Liberals for two generations, and put a major split in Labour too. It was only by the 1950's that a true two party system emerged, and for so long seemed immoveable.

If the "nearest parallel" is indeed MacDonald's third government it's astonishing that no one else has noticed it. Alas you have not assuaged my worry. The Weimar analogy is based on collapse of identity coupled with falling incomes. The causes of the identity crisis may be very different, but the political consequences will, I fear, show themselves to be most comparable.

• Options
    Paul_Mid_BedsPaul_Mid_Beds Posts: 1,409
    edited November 2014
    With regard to the SY PCC election.

Leave Sheffield out ( so including boroughs of Barnsley, Rotherham, Doncaster only), an area with ten MPs, all Labour, and the voting proportion is as follows:

Lab - 41,193 (45.6%)
    UKIP - 32,197 (35.6%)
    C - 11,388 (12.5%)
    ED - 5,646 (6.3%)

So had the election not included Sheffield, it would have gone to second preferences and with the other three parties being "right wing" most second votes would have gone to UKIP giving them victory

Had it been first past the post in those three districts, Farage would have been saying Vote Conservative, wake up with Ed Miliband.

Plus Labours vote was inflated by Greens and Libdems not standing.

For this to happen in what is one of Labours rock solid core areas, while not on the scale of the Scottish Meltdown, is fairly disastrous for Labour. It means that come the 2015 election lots of resources will need to be put into TEN Labour seats that previously the proverbial donkey with a red rosette would have won. If that voting pattern is repeated in 2015, UKIP would win some of those seats in the 2015 election

This means far less activist resources available for marginal seats that Labour need to win off the tories to gain power which is not good news for them at all.

This result is far more significant than some would have you believe.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    @politicshome: Yvette Cooper says she is "not going to name individual names" for new inquiry chair, says it shld be someone with child protection b'ground

Sharon Shoesmith?
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

Ninoinoz said:

Turncoat Tories from the right of the Tory party are a two edged sword. While gaining seats and activists this way, it does become harder and harder to keep the libertarian, public school, smash-the-state party cloaked from view. It is hard to see these people as anti-Establishment radicals.

I suspect that the kipper leadership will manage to keep it together until after the GE but not much longer. All parties are internally diverse coalitions, UKIP more than most and it has a lot of splits in its short history. We may not have seen the last of these.
  • Options
    Sorry to go off topic.

YouGov poll on Scottish Independence for the Times finds

Yes 52 No 48

When those who would not vote or do not know are included, the split is 49 per cent for “yes” and 45 per cent “no”.
  • Options

Leave Sheffield out ( so including Barnsley, Rotherham, Doncaster and the voting proportion is as follows:

Lab - 41,193 (45.6%)
    UKIP - 32,197 (35.6%)
    C - 11,388 (12.5%)
    ED - 5,646 (6.3%)

So had the election not included Sheffield, it would have gone to second preferences and with the other three parties being "right wing" most second votes would have gone to UKIP giving them victory

Had it been first past the post in those three districts, Farage would have been saying Vote Conservative, wake up with Ed Miliband.

For this to happen in what is one of Labours rock solid core areas, while not on the scale of the Scottish Meltdown, is fairly disastrous for Labour. It means that come the 2015 election lots of resources will need to be put into seats that previously a donkey with a red rosette would have won.

This means less resources available for marginal seats that Labour need to win off the tories to gain power.

I'll believe you when you can convince me that the poll next May in those areas will be below 20%.

• Options

Leave Sheffield out ( so including boroughs of Barnsley, Rotherham, Doncaster only), an area with ten MPs, all Labour, and the voting proportion is as follows:

Lab - 41,193 (45.6%)
    UKIP - 32,197 (35.6%)
    C - 11,388 (12.5%)
    ED - 5,646 (6.3%)

For this to happen in what is one of Labours rock solid core areas, while not on the scale of the Scottish Meltdown, is fairly disastrous for Labour. It means that come the 2015 election lots of resources will need to be put into TEN Labour seats that previously the proverbial donkey with a red rosette would have won. If that voting pattern is repeated in 2015, UKIP would win some of those seats in the 2015 election

This means far less activist resources available for marginal seats that Labour need to win off the tories to gain power which is not good news for them at all.

I would have thought you Kippers would have learned your lesson not to hype things in South Yorkshire.

But hey, if you think the turnout will be 15% next year, then you might be right.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,154
    Jonathan said:

It's mid-term.
    No it isn't.
    We will be out of mid-term when Labour comes up with a set of policies to offer the public as an alternative Government. You certainly wouldn't have known that their recent conference was the last before the election. They are still groping around for ideas under a leader groping around to make a mark. The voters don't exactly feel like they are swept up in a battle of ideas right now.

So mid-term might end when the Labour election manifesto gets published.
  • Options

It's mid-term.

Absolutely.

I mentioned the General Election to someone quite highly educated on Thursday and she remarked 'oh is there an election next year?'
  • Options
    CD13CD13 Posts: 6,351

Amongst the accusations of racism, homophobia and other isms directed at Ukip, I sense another gut feeling towards them from some.

Snobbery ... the feeling that they are ignorant, untutored and not really on the same intellectual plane as the "proper" politiciansm and that supporters of the "cultured" parties are intellectually superior. Another reason for the intense betrayal felt when Reckless defected.

It's overt enough to be picked up by Ukip supporters and a reason why the many of the insults are counterproductive.

The rats and he ferrets are swarming into Toad Hall.
  • Options
    edited November 2014

Lab - 41,193 (45.6%)
    UKIP - 32,197 (35.6%)
    C - 11,388 (12.5%)
    ED - 5,646 (6.3%)

If you removed from the vote all those whose birthdays fell on Thursdays, lesbians, Asians living in Sheffield, people whose names begin with C and anyone else you don't particularly like and whose vote you don't agree with then, yep, UKIP would have won.

It's called democracy, and UKIP flopped. Get over it. Although I grant you that fascists never did like the concept.
  • Options

t.

If the "nearest parallel" is indeed MacDonald's third government it's astonishing that no one else has noticed it. Alas you have not assuaged my worry. The Weimar analogy is based on collapse of identity coupled with falling incomes. The causes of the identity crisis may be very different, but the political consequences will, I fear, show themselves to be most comparable.

My reluctance to use the Weimar analogy is that it does imply that the Kippers are Nazis, and for all their faults that is not true.

Most of Europe between the wars had similar stresses on their democracies, with falling incomes and divided electorates struggling to come to terms with difficult choices.
  • Options

Jonathan said:

It's mid-term.
    No it isn't.
    We will be out of mid-term when Labour comes up with a set of policies to offer the public as an alternative Government. You certainly wouldn't have known that their recent conference was the last before the election. They are still groping around for ideas under a leader groping around to make a mark. The voters don't exactly feel like they are swept up in a battle of ideas right now.

So mid-term might end when the Labour election manifesto gets published.
    We've been out of mid term since Fri 19th Sep. The fact Labour had a shit conference is neither here nor there.
  • Options

It's mid-term.

Absolutely.

I mentioned the General Election to someone quite highly educated on Thursday and she remarked 'oh is there an election next year?'
    For once I agree with Audreyanne. Normally by this stage we are incessantly bombarded with media speculation on whether the prime minister go to the country, which alerts people, however uninterested they are that an election is imminent (and frankly annoys most of them)

This has been wholly absent due to the fixed term parliament act, hence people will still be "mid term" and not even knowing when the next election is.

It will change during January as the pre election hype starts. Then I am expecting the Labour vote to be squeezed in opinon polls as people start to actually tell pollsters who they are voting for rather than using opinion polls as a stick to beat the government with.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,997

Lab - 41,193 (45.6%)
    UKIP - 32,197 (35.6%)
    C - 11,388 (12.5%)
    ED - 5,646 (6.3%)

If you removed from the vote all those whose birthdays fell on Thursdays, lesbians, Asians living in Sheffield, people whose names begin with C and anyone else you don't particularly like and whose vote you don't agree with then, yep, UKIP would have won.

It's called democracy, and UKIP flopped. Get over it. Although I grant you that fascists never did like the concept.
    UKIP won three times as many votes as the Conservatives, the party you allegedly support.
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    Jonathan said:

It's mid-term.
    No it isn't.
    Fixed-term parliaments mean that after month + 1 and up to months -3 the remaining 56 months are mid-term. It will remain mid-term until February 2015.

No one else out there gives a sh*t about the election and have no idea it's coming. Sorry you don't like this, but it's true.

Mid-term.

• Options

Lab - 41,193 (45.6%)
    UKIP - 32,197 (35.6%)
    C - 11,388 (12.5%)
    ED - 5,646 (6.3%)

I would have thought you Kippers would have learned your lesson not to hype things in South Yorkshire.

But hey, if you think the turnout will be 15% next year, then you might be right.
    I'm not a member of the Kippers or any other political party.

I voted Conservative in every election since I turned 18 in the '80s, except 1997 when I voted for the Referendum party (not quite able to bring myself to vote for Blair). Never again, this time I'm voting UKIP.

Shouldn't your party be more concerned that they have lost people like me who voted for them over three decades?
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    Sean_F said:

Lab - 41,193 (45.6%)
    UKIP - 32,197 (35.6%)
    C - 11,388 (12.5%)
    ED - 5,646 (6.3%)

UKIP won three times as many votes as the Conservatives, the party you allegedly support.
    In a Labour heartland Sean and where the Tories put in no effort. Unlike UKIP who piled in masses and had high hopes, even expectations, of winning. I read back some of the comments yesterday morning and it's hilarious. People posting things like 'there is no chance UKIP won't win this' etc. Even I succumbed to your Farage hype, predicting a 12% UKIP lead.

You know UKIP flopped. How does it feel to have so publicly switched to losers Sean?
  • Options
    anotherDaveanotherDave Posts: 6,746
    edited November 2014
    TGOHF said:

Ninoinoz said:

Ladbrokes 'UKIP seat totals' market currently suggests 4-9 UKIP seats.

Over 4.5 4/11
    Under 9.5 4/6
    Over 9.5 11/10
  • Options

TGOHF said:

Ninoinoz said:

Suddenly, there's a lot of Tory Whistling In The Wind. Still, you've got to credit their tribalism, which seems to be far stronger than anyone else's.

Indeed. It's pretty odd to see them jeering at a party that thrashed them out of site in yesterday's by-election.
  • Options
    Paul_Mid_BedsPaul_Mid_Beds Posts: 1,409
    edited November 2014

Implying that I am a "fascist" says rather more about you than it says about me.
  • Options

Lab - 41,193 (45.6%)
    UKIP - 32,197 (35.6%)
    C - 11,388 (12.5%)
    ED - 5,646 (6.3%)

I'm not a member of the Kippers or any other political party.

I voted Conservative in every election since I turned 18 in the '80s, except 1997 when I voted for the Referendum party (not quite able to bring myself to vote for Blair). Never again, this time I'm voting UKIP.

Shouldn't your party be more concerned that they have lost people like me who voted for them over three decades?
    You're voting Kipper, that makes you a Kipper.

But the long term trend of political disengagement is not good for my party or politics.

Hopefully the result next time ensures electoral reform.

As we saw in North Britain, when every vote counts, people turn out to vote in record numbers.
  • Options

Sean_F said:

Lab - 41,193 (45.6%)
    UKIP - 32,197 (35.6%)
    C - 11,388 (12.5%)
    ED - 5,646 (6.3%)

In a Labour heartland Sean and where the Tories put in no effort. Unlike UKIP who piled in masses and had high hopes, even expectations, of winning. I read back some of the comments yesterday morning and it's hilarious. People posting things like 'there is no chance UKIP won't win this' etc. Even I succumbed to your Farage hype, predicting a 12% UKIP lead.

You know UKIP flopped. How does it feel to have so publicly switched to losers Sean?
    There's only one party that's pushing up its vote share by double-digits in every by-election. And, I'm happy to be a part of it.
  • Options
    CD13 said:

Amongst the accusations of racism, homophobia and other isms directed at Ukip, I sense another gut feeling towards them from some.

Snobbery ... the feeling that they are ignorant, untutored and not really on the same intellectual plane as the "proper" politiciansm and that supporters of the "cultured" parties are intellectually superior. Another reason for the intense betrayal felt when Reckless defected.

It's overt enough to be picked up by Ukip supporters and a reason why the many of the insults are counterproductive.

Just 'cos you're paranoid ...
    It's politics, maybe people dislike UKIP because of their policies?
  • Options
    Danny565 said:

If I'm understanding the charts right, this shows this really isn't "swingback" in any meaningful sense. The Con->Lab swing is barely changed on 2012 (or the reverse Lab->Con swing). The big change has been Labour leaking so many votes to the SNP, the Greens and UKIP due to complacency about how those votes were in the bag and how they had to be chasing the mythical "centre ground" votes instead.

Labour leaking votes to SNP, Green and UKIP is half their story; the other half is that about a third of votes they gained from the Lib Dems have moved on too (I say 'on' rather than 'back' because LD 2010 retention is even lower now than in 2012, so it's likely that the increased LD-UKIP/Green swings actually went via Labour).
  • Options

Good analysis David. I always enjoy your Saturday hunch is that this always happens.

t.

My reluctance to use the Weimar analogy is that it does imply that the Kippers are Nazis, and for all their faults that is not true.

Most of Europe between the wars had similar stresses on their democracies, with falling incomes and divided electorates struggling to come to terms with difficult choices.
    No, I don't think the Kippers are Nazis either.

What I am driving at is that the process itself will be put under greater strain than it can handle. I believe that representative democracy can cope with "multiculturalism" (of whatever sort). I believe that it can cope with declining incomes (for all but the very very few). I do not believe that it can cope with both together.

• Options
    edited November 2014
    Sean_F said:

Sean_F said:

There's only one party that's pushing up its vote share by double-digits in every by-election. And, I'm happy to be a part of it.

Actually I'm going to apologise as that wasn't polite of me. I do think UKIP flopped, and I suspect you do too. I also think they will fail to advance with any significance next May. I have a bet on with Isam that the LibDems will take 4x as many seats as UKIP. I think you will be very very lucky to make six. Yes, that would be an advance, but it hardly justifies all the hype. Your party would do better to recognise that it is a fringe protest group. UKIP will never, ever, be a governing party of Britain. Nevertheless, the jibe about losers wasn't kind, apologies.
  • Options
    FregglesFreggles Posts: 3,486
    I wouldn't be surprised if the Rainbow Liberals were disproportionately in solid Labour areas. For example, I'm considering voting for a minor party because I live in a solid labour area, but if I were in a marginal I'd vote Labour. In a group that changes allegiance frequently you would expect some level of political savvy and arguably these are anti-Tory voters (If you've gone from Nick Clegg 2010 through Ed Miliband 2012 to Green, you're looking fairly left-wing)
  • Options
    The new Child Abuse Inquiry Chair?

I believe Joyce Thacker may be available.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,408
    I wouldn't pretend for a minute that yesterday's poll for the by election was anything other than bad news for the Tories but for Labour it was truly disastrous and a very good example of what David is talking about. In a seat they held relatively recently they were down to 15% with their votes going all over the place.

My only reservation is that if they are bleeding votes on such a scale in Scotland and the South and the North where is their 32% in the polls coming from? They must be doing better somewhere. They better hope it is not in Tory lib dem marginals where it will do them no good
  • Options
    Morning all. Here's my latest post on the Conservatives' current constituency odds:

http://newstonoone.blogspot.co.uk/2014/11/the-conservative-battleground-in.html
  • Options
    anotherDaveanotherDave Posts: 6,746

Jonathan said:

It's mid-term.
    No it isn't.
    Fixed-term parliaments mean that after month + 1 and up to months -3 the remaining 56 months are mid-term. It will remain mid-term until February 2015.

No one else out there gives a sh*t about the election and have no idea it's coming. Sorry you don't like this, but it's true.

Mid-term.

If you look at the Fisher analysis, Labour's support is moving downward in line with historical expectations, but the Conservatives are failing to attract those swing voters.

http://electionsetc.com/2014/10/31/forecast-update-31-october-2014/

• Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    Sean_F said:

TGOHF said:

Ninoinoz said:

Indeed. It's pretty odd to see them jeering at a party that thrashed them out of site in yesterday's by-election.
    Yet the PM is Conservative and will be the PM after the election. Kippers a side show for narcissists.
  • Options

Sean_F said:

Sean_F said:

Actually I'm going to apologise as that wasn't polite of me. I do think UKIP flopped, and I suspect you do too. I also think they will fail to advance with any significance next May. I have a bet on with Isam that the LibDems will take 4x as many seats as UKIP. I think you will be very very lucky to make six. Yes, that would be an advance, but it hardly justifies all the hype. Your party would do better to recognise that it is a fringe protest group. UKIP will never, ever, be a governing party of Britain. Nevertheless, the jibe about losers wasn't kind, apologies.
    Nothing to apologise for. I've read far worse, online. But, thanks.
  • Options

Jonathan said:

It's mid-term.
    No it isn't.

Mid-term.

Nope. It's still not mid term by any stretch of the imagination.

There is nothing new about people tuning in late. It has nothing to do with fixed terms.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,002
    Quick question - How do people think "English Democrats" 2nd preferences would have split in yesterday's vote ?
  • Options
    antifrank said:

Morning all. Here's my latest post on the Conservatives' current constituency odds:

Another good piece.

This bit I've been thinking about for a while

It is possible that Labour could take these seats and not get an overall majority (one set of circumstances might be that Labour lose a slew of seats to the SNP but perform well south of the border).

My take is that if Labour are performing that badly in Scotland, the chances of them doing well enough to get what would otherwise be an overall majority winning performance in England and Wales in standard Labour/Conservative marginals are low enough to make these bets still stand as decent proxies for that bet.
  • Options
    Mr Song,

It's not paranoia, it's an instinctive liking for the underdog. I think the Greens are bonkers but they also get a bad press.

I'm happy to know much less about politics than many on here, but to me, it won't really matter who gets in. I claim my state pension in two months so I'm bullet-proof.

My claim to fame is that I voted Labour when Michael Foot was in charge!
  • Options

David. Good analysis except that it is based on YouGov which does not produce it's data in a way that can be analysed like this. It is the worst of all the pollsters on this point.

Could you let us know how you went about the data collection task? How actually were the above number calculated?

The best pollsters from a data presentation point of view are Populus and Lord Ashcroft.

The data is based on an analysis of sets of five consecutive YouGov polls taken from the end of October 2014, October 2012 and January 2011, using the current VI figures for subsamples of the split by 2010 vote. I took an average of the five figures given for each instance (Con-UKIP, say) to produce a weekly score and then multiplied by the relevant 2010 total to produce the current dynamic.

I accept that this methodology isn't flawless but I don't think it'll be far off. I accept that YouGov has its faults too but unfortunately for something like this, it's the only game in town as Ashcroft wasn't polling in 2012, never mind early 2011 and Populus changed their methodology significantly in July 2012 after six months without a poll (I accept that YouGov made some alterations to their methodology more recently but these were to bring it back in line with reality and I don't think made as much difference in a study like that as it would comparing figures for Oct 2014 with, say, June 2014). YouGov also produce far more polls which makes aggregated subsamples possible over a short timeframe and therefore (hopefully) more reliable.
  • Options
    Ninoinoz said:

It wouldn't strictly be breaking a record if they achieve it, when three other parties have done it before, and Con and Lab many times. It would, however, place UKIP in fairly elite company, particularly if the timeframe is reduced from a parliament to a year. There are also several NI parties who've achieved the feat.
  • Options

The data is based on an analysis of sets of five consecutive YouGov polls taken from the end of October 2014, October 2012 and January 2011, using the current VI figures for subsamples of the split by 2010 vote. I took an average of the five figures given for each instance (Con-UKIP, say) to produce a weekly score and then multiplied by the relevant 2010 total to produce the current dynamic.

I accept that this methodology isn't flawless but I don't think it'll be far off. I accept that YouGov has its faults too but unfortunately for something like this, it's the only game in town as Ashcroft wasn't polling in 2012, never mind early 2011 and Populus changed their methodology significantly in July 2012 after six months without a poll (I accept that YouGov made some alterations to their methodology more recently but these were to bring it back in line with reality and I don't think made as much difference in a study like that as it would comparing figures for Oct 2014 with, say, June 2014). YouGov also produce far more polls which makes aggregated subsamples possible over a short timeframe and therefore (hopefully) more reliable.
    If you included MoE isn't there actually no discernible change.

• Options
    DavidL said:

I wouldn't pretend for a minute that yesterday's poll for the by election was anything other than bad news for the Tories but for Labour it was truly disastrous and a very good example of what David is talking about. In a seat they held relatively recently they were down to 15% with their votes going all over the place.

My only reservation is that if they are bleeding votes on such a scale in Scotland and the South and the North where is their 32% in the polls coming from? They must be doing better somewhere. They better hope it is not in Tory lib dem marginals where it will do them no good

Core cities, and Greater London are where Labour are outperforming.
  • Options

antifrank said:

Another good piece.

This bit I've been thinking about for a while

It is possible that Labour could take these seats and not get an overall majority (one set of circumstances might be that Labour lose a slew of seats to the SNP but perform well south of the border).

My take is that if Labour are performing that badly in Scotland, the chances of them doing well enough to get what would otherwise be an overall majority winning performance in England and Wales in standard Labour/Conservative marginals are low enough to make these bets still stand as decent proxies for that bet.
    If Labour are performing so badly in Scotland, then they'd have to win Rochester to get a majority.
  • Options
    SquareRootSquareRoot Posts: 7,095
    I feel sure that Ed Miliband's "popularity" ratings are so bad that they are worse than anyone who has ever had really bad ratings and become Prime Minister. How does Ed currently compare with the candidate with the worst ever ratings who became PM?
  • Options

And your evidence for saying that UKIP 'piled in masses' is ?

One of the reasons I predicted Labour to win was that UKIP's campaign was pretty non-existent and that their candidate was so unimpressive.

Its always fascinating how people claim such knowledge about how electoral campaigns are taking place from a different part of the country.

• Options

That's true, although the Liberal collapse would surely have been less catastrophic and less rapid had they not split four ways over the formation of the National government. For all that's happened to the Lib Dems' voters, there is at least still only one party claiming to be them.
  • Options

One of the reasons I predicted Labour to win was that UKIP's campaign was pretty non-existent and that their candidate was so unimpressive.

Its always fascinating how people claim such knowledge about how electoral campaigns are taking place from a different part of the country.

The last thing UKIP would have wanted was to actually win it and have their first elected representative with actual power attempting to sort out that vipers nest with the eyes of the press obsessively watching and reporting in a jaundiced way every little event during the run up to the 2015 election.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Labour will be picking up strongly in urban areas.

Their problem is that there is only a limited number of gains they can make there.

Enfield Southgate is still a good outside bet for a Labour gain, unless the odds have come in even more that is.
  • Options
    @innocentabroad

In some ways we are back in the 1930s with nations being formed and re-formed in a climate of economic difficulty. There was a very interesting series on BBC a few weeks ago looking at how different countries adapted after the first war. The one called Ballots and Bullets was particularly interesting, with the British approach of vastly expanding democracy and building good housing for workers contrasting with the approach on the continent.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b04jqxtl

Baldwin is the forgotten PM who kept the Tories in power despite trebling the electorate in the twenties, transforming his party from an aristocratic party to one based on a property owning middle class.

A lot of peoples economic hardship at present relates to the cost of housing. Not only is this a major expense to most households, it is also centrepiece to their aspirations and stake in society. Baldwin got it, the current parties do not.

People do not want social housing, they want their own place. Britain was transformed by private builders covering the land with suburban semis in the twenties and thirties. It was a major mechanism of economic as well as social recovery. It could be done again if planning laws were considerably relaxed.

• Options
    edited November 2014
    @SeanF Do you think either English Democrats or the BNP will run candidates at the GE

And what do you think a fair transfer of votes from ED to UKIP would be ? (2nd prefs yesterday's election)
  • Options
    SquareRootSquareRoot Posts: 7,095
    edited November 2014
    This is the sort of thing that will do for Ed. Its so reminiscent of the inability to connect with human beings... and so Gordon Brownesque
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/index.html
  • Options
    Miliband has hit rock bottom ! The media have gone over the top and now people will start to feel protected towards him . Labour will only gain from the new year . Like a boxer who has taken three rounds of punches ,, But ready for the fight again . I say this as someone who has left labour and joined the Greens .The reason Mike is such a poor tipster is because he's playing by the old rules and not the new ! Mixed results next year will inho be an understatement
  • Options

Lab - 41,193 (45.6%)
    UKIP - 32,197 (35.6%)
    C - 11,388 (12.5%)
    ED - 5,646 (6.3%)

That's probably not true. I did some analysis of the SV elections that had been held up to April 2013 (I ought to update it but I doubt too much has changed in this respect). On average, only 57% of reallocatable votes are counted in the second round in 4-way SV elections. Some voters for a party eliminated will give their second vote to the other one eliminated; others won't cast a second vote at all - in the three 3-way PCC elections from 2012 (the only data for this case), only 71% of votes from the party finishing third were transferred: these must have been second-round abstentions.

Even if we take an above average reallocation rate of 65% (which would be a near-record), that'd only be about 11000 votes, meaning UKIP would have to take about 90% of them to overturn Labour's lead. As some Tories on here, for example, have said they'd prefer Labour to UKIP to have won, I doubt that'd have been achievable.

• Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,904

The last thing UKIP would have wanted was to actually win it and have their first elected representative with actual power attempting to sort out that vipers nest with the eyes of the press obsessively watching and reporting in a jaundiced way every little event during the run up to the 2015 election.
    LOL

Had you fooled then if they were not even trying to win.

GE2015 will see UKIP not trying to win in ocer 640 constituencies presumably
  • Options

I think UKIP wanted to win but it would have been detrimental to them.

For the reason you say and also because it might have led to the removal of EdM.

I don't think the UKIP candidate would have done a good job in any case - far too much of a plod insider.

On a wider note UKIP really need to be more professional in candidate selection. Doubtless they would say "we chose ordinary people not professional politicians" and that's part of UKIP's appeal to those discriminated against by the political establishment.

But there's no reason why they can't chose more impressive 'ordinary people' than they often do.
  • Options

Lab - 41,193 (45.6%)
    UKIP - 32,197 (35.6%)
    C - 11,388 (12.5%)
    ED - 5,646 (6.3%)

That's probably not true. I did some analysis of the SV elections that had been held up to April 2013 (I ought to update it but I doubt too much has changed in this respect). On average, only 57% of reallocatable votes are counted in the second round in 4-way SV elections. Some voters for a party eliminated will give their second vote to the other one eliminated; others won't cast a second vote at all - in the three 3-way PCC elections from 2012 (the only data for this case), only 71% of votes from the party finishing third were transferred: these must have been second-round abstentions.

Even if we take an above average reallocation rate of 65% (which would be a near-record), that'd only be about 11000 votes, meaning UKIP would have to take about 90% of them to overturn Labour's lead. As some Tories on here, for example, have said they'd prefer Labour to UKIP to have won, I doubt that'd have been achievable.

Has anyone calculated the changes since 2012 in each of the four boroughs ?
  • Options

Lab - 41,193 (45.6%)
    UKIP - 32,197 (35.6%)
    C - 11,388 (12.5%)
    ED - 5,646 (6.3%)

How about analysing just Rotherham:

ALLEN, David English Democrats – “Putting England First!” 2,044
    BILLINGS, Alan Labour Party Candidate 15,006
    CLARKSON, Jack UK Independence Party (UKIP) 14,228
    WALKER, Ian The Conservative Party Candidate 3,936
  • Options
    SocratesSocrates Posts: 10,322
    Don't worry. We're about to thrash you in a Tory heartland too. Within ten years the Tories will be begging us to go into coalition with them.

Sean_F said:

Lab - 41,193 (45.6%)
    UKIP - 32,197 (35.6%)
    C - 11,388 (12.5%)
    ED - 5,646 (6.3%)

• Options

I think UKIP wanted to win but it would have been detrimental to them.

For the reason you say and also because it might have led to the removal of EdM.

I don't think the UKIP candidate would have done a good job in any case - far too much of a plod insider.

On a wider note UKIP really need to be more professional in candidate selection. Doubtless they would say "we chose ordinary people not professional politicians" and that's part of UKIP's appeal to those discriminated against by the political establishment.

But there's no reason why they can't chose more impressive 'ordinary people' than they often do.
    How would they - or anyone else, for that matter - go about doing that?

• Options

Jonathan said:

It's mid-term.
    No it isn't.

Mid-term.

If you look at the Fisher analysis, Labour's support is moving downward in line with historical expectations, but the Conservatives are failing to attract those swing voters.

Interesting to look at fishers overall result prediction: Tories 24 short, liberals have 26. This is incredibly tight for another coalition. Charles Kennedy for one might just say no this time. Looks like a deal with NI parties will also be needed.
  • Options

Sean_F said:

Lab - 41,193 (45.6%)
    UKIP - 32,197 (35.6%)
    C - 11,388 (12.5%)
    ED - 5,646 (6.3%)

Against their aspirations, UKIP came up short. On any objective basis, they did extremely well: they trebled their 2012 vote and overtook the Tories and ED to finish second. Bear in mind that Labour has won every election (AFAIK) - local, county, general, Euro, PCC - in S Yorks or its equivalent since at least 1935.
  • Options
    another_richardanother_richard Posts: 25,142
    edited November 2014

@innocentabroad

In some ways we are back in the 1930s with nations being formed and re-formed in a climate of economic difficulty. There was a very interesting series on BBC a few weeks ago looking at how different countries adapted after the first war. The one called Ballots and Bullets was particularly interesting, with the British approach of vastly expanding democracy and building good housing for workers contrasting with the approach on the continent.

Baldwin is the forgotten PM who kept the Tories in power despite trebling the electorate in the twenties, transforming his party from an aristocratic party to one based on a property owning middle class.

A lot of peoples economic hardship at present relates to the cost of housing. Not only is this a major expense to most households, it is also centrepiece to their aspirations and stake in society. Baldwin got it, the current parties do not.

People do not want social housing, they want their own place. Britain was transformed by private builders covering the land with suburban semis in the twenties and thirties. It was a major mechanism of economic as well as social recovery. It could be done again if planning laws were considerably relaxed.

You could say much the same of the Conservative governments in the 1950s and of course Thatcher.

IIRC Heath's government also took measures to boost home ownership while Conservative councils brought in RTB even before 1979.

Look at the old 'Love Thy Neighbour' episode posted last night. You'd struggle to find many factory workers being able to buy houses in Twickenham nowadays.

The political establishment has lost its understanding of aspiration. This damages all establishment parties but especially the Conservatives as they used their support for aspiration as a counter to their image of privilege.
  • Options

Jonathan said:

It's mid-term.
    No it isn't.

Mid-term.

Interesting to look at fishers overall result prediction: Tories 24 short, liberals have 26. This is incredibly tight for another coalition. Charles Kennedy for one might just say no this time. Looks like a deal with NI parties will also be needed.
    If my maths are right, Tories 24 short, LibDems on 26 would mean Tory/LD coalition with overall majority of 50. Should be OK.
  • Options
    Many thanks David for an excellent well-balanced thread.
  • Options
    edited November 2014

Here you go:

Police and Crime Commissioner Election Result 15 November 2012

http://www.rotherham.gov.uk/info/200033/councillors_democracy_and_elections/697/police_and_crime_commissioner_election_result_15_november_2012

English Democrats 5034
    Labour 16,374
    Conservative 4660
    UKIP 4737

http://www.rotherham.gov.uk/info/200038/elected_representatives/898/south_yorkshire_police_and_crime_commissioner_by_election_result_30_october_2014

• Options

Jonathan said:

It's mid-term.
    No it isn't.

Mid-term.

If my maths are right, Tories 24 short, LibDems on 26 would mean Tory/LD coalition with overall majority of 50. Should be OK.
    OM, maths obviously wrong! Majority would be 28, May be OK.
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

I think the right way to frame that assertion is that if we include MoE, we can't be certain that there's a change for any of the swings bar Con-UKIP and LD-Lab (and even then there'd be great uncertainty about the scale). However, given the consistency of the data, I'm not sure I'd ignore the findings too readily.
  • Options
    MikeKMikeK Posts: 9,053

@innocentabroad

Good morning. Still in recovery from ghastly flu.....

But by golly! I agree with Foxy on something. Baldwin, a mediocre PM in many departments, let the the house building rip and thrive before 1939. We do need planning laws that give builders a chance to build, but also prevent them on heavy sanction from building muck. However we cannot have the old ribbon development over pristine countryside. A new method must be found to build our communities.
  • Options

Jonathan said:

It's mid-term.
    No it isn't.

Mid-term.

Shame about your maths.

• Options

Jonathan said:

It's mid-term.
    No it isn't.

Mid-term.

Shame about your maths.

Yeah, mea culpa. Did you seethe corrected version?
  • Options
    edited November 2014

The last thing UKIP would have wanted was to actually win it
    Of the many sore loser comments from the pb kipper-thumpers this is by far the funniest. I hope you might take a step back and see it.
  • Options
    Poppett said:

Miliband has hit rock bottom ! The media have gone over the top

I must admit I was quite shocked at the derision with which he was treated on last night's HIGNFY. Cameron was projected as almost statesmanlike by contrast. And Tories complain at BBC bias. Hmmm ...
  • Options

Jonathan said:

I think the right way to frame that assertion is that if we include MoE, we can't be certain that there's a change for any of the swings bar Con-UKIP and LD-Lab (and even then there'd be great uncertainty about the scale). However, given the consistency of the data, I'm not sure I'd ignore the findings too readily.
    I'm going to come to your defence here

It was the Yougov subsamples that lead me to the conclusion that "something" was probably going on in Scotland.

Subsamples are a perfectly valid tool to base evidence on, providing that you use enough of them to achieve statistical significance. I remember @TSE pointing out a subsample recently on a poll where Labour lead the SNP in VI, and I pointed out that obviously as subsamples are unweighted raw data they will have ridiculous margin of error individually as to be meaningless.

But look at enough and there are patterns and clues.
  • Options
    Anecdote Alert.

I spent some time yesterday afternoon in the UKIP constituency office on Rochester High Street. I declined to sign-in, as I still seem to be persona-non-grata within the party.

The good news from UKIP's POV was that it was manned by very easy-going, user-friendly people. There was none of the frustration that often shows itself at UKIP meetings. Further, they are preparing different leaflets for different parts of the constituency, aping the LDs with that by-election 'trick'. The bad news was that they only have two of them so far; there are three in the pipe-line, apparently.

AFA winning elections is concerned, UKIP's weakness is still around Postal Votes. I asked who was in charge of PV 'farming'. I was told, by the aghast agent, that that was crooked. "Sure, but all the other parties do it". He replied that UKIP wasn't like other parties.

If UKIP get anywhere near any influnce, their number one priority must to insist on the old rules on PV being restored.
  • Options
    Ishmael_XIshmael_X Posts: 3,664

Jonathan said:

It's mid-term.
    No it isn't.

Mid-term.

Times main headline yesterday, about a VI poll of a subset of the country: Wipeout for Labour looms in Scotland. That's how much no one, in your tediously potty-mouthed expression, "No one else out there gives a sh*t about the election".
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Jonathan said:

I'm going to come to your defence here

It was the Yougov subsamples that lead me to the conclusion that "something" was probably going on in Scotland.

Subsamples are a perfectly valid tool to base evidence on, providing that you use enough of them to achieve statistical significance. I remember @TSE pointing out a subsample recently on a poll where Labour lead the SNP in VI, and I pointed out that obviously as subsamples are unweighted raw data they will have ridiculous margin of error individually as to be meaningless.

But look at enough and there are patterns and clues.
    Thanks, and I'd agree with your comments. There is a great deal of value to be found in the subsample data, providing it's treated with due caution.
  • Options

Sean_F said:

Lab - 41,193 (45.6%)
    UKIP - 32,197 (35.6%)
    C - 11,388 (12.5%)
    ED - 5,646 (6.3%)

Against their aspirations, UKIP came up short. On any objective basis, they did extremely well: they trebled their 2012 vote and overtook the Tories and ED to finish second. Bear in mind that Labour has won every election (AFAIK) - local, county, general, Euro, PCC - in S Yorks or its equivalent since at least 1935.
    Sheffield is a mighty Labour Stronghold. Outside Sheffield, I'd say the results were pretty good for UKIP.
  • Options
    Innocent_AbroadInnocent_Abroad Posts: 3,294
    edited November 2014

Better and better. Let me give you a hand. "24 short" is -24 to a mathematician. -24+26=2.

• Options
    Pulpstar said:

Here you go:

Police and Crime Commissioner Election Result 15 November 2012

http://www.rotherham.gov.uk/info/200033/councillors_democracy_and_elections/697/police_and_crime_commissioner_election_result_15_november_2012

English Democrats 5034
    Labour 16,374
    Conservative 4660
    UKIP 4737

http://www.rotherham.gov.uk/info/200038/elected_representatives/898/south_yorkshire_police_and_crime_commissioner_by_election_result_30_october_2014

Not much change in the Labour vote, but the anti-Labour vote uniting behind a single party.

• Options
    ItajaiItajai Posts: 721
    CD13 said:

Hence the sneering assumptions it appeals to the "left behind". The poor, the old, the uneducated.

After all, no "proper" (educated, well off, young) would vote for them. Would they....
This discussion has been closed.