Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Local By-Election Preview : October 23rd 2014

SystemSystem Posts: 11,718
edited October 2014 in General

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Local By-Election Preview : October 23rd 2014

Oban North and Lorn on Argyll and Bute (Ind Defence)
Result of last election to council (2012): Independents 15, Scottish National Party 13, Conservatives 4, Liberal Democrats 4 (No Overall Control, Independents short by 3)
Result of last election to ward (2014): Scottish National Party 595 (25%), Independent 548 (23%), Labour 526 (22%), Conservatives 445 (18%), Independent 301 (12%).

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    LennonLennon Posts: 1,736
    So - I grew up in the West Sussex village of Rogate for the first 15 years or so of my life. Unless it's changed dramatically in the further 15 years since I would characterise it as a combination of wealthy stockbroker / Tory farmer / retired to the country types so unless the local Tories have managed to totally pee everyone off somehow I would be expecting a 70% / 30% type split or similar.
  • Options
    Oh, and Thanks again Harry as always for the work you put into these - always interesting to read.
  • Options
    state_go_awaystate_go_away Posts: 5,426
    edited October 2014
    A couple of years ago I would have loved this type of thread. I was into local elections as much as any man! Now I cannot be bothered at anything less than a Westminster by -election.
    My question is
    1) Am I more of a person or less of a person because of it ? I am not sure, there is an argument in my head for both sides!!
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,629
    It's great to see UKIP doing well in locals, but I must admit I think that the Conservatives are still probably fielding better candidates. I don't think UKIP have the same depth of quality to call upon yet -it will come.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    @BBCBreaking: Scotland's First Minister Alex Salmond considering standing for Westminster seat at the UK general election next year, he tells BBC
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 41,033
    edited October 2014
    Tomorrows Indy Front Page: "Miliband's big new idea"

"Immigration, Immigration, Immigration"
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    Thanks again Harry.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

@BBCBreaking: Scotland's First Minister Alex Salmond considering standing for Westminster seat at the UK general election next year, he tells BBC

Uxbridge? or Clacton?
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,086
    Durham must be one of the largest authorities in the country judging by those numbers.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

I thought that I'd heard that already - or was it someone on here suggesting it? Makes perfect sense - he gets out of Nicola Sturgeon's way in Scotland rather than sit on whatever the equivalent of the backbenches are, and gets to harry Westminster to provide all the goodies which they had promised.
  • Options
    oldnatoldnat Posts: 136
    Scott_P said:

After all, he signalled that in interviews on the day he announced that he would be resigning as FM, so this is just confirmation of that intention.
  • Options
    I really hope the actual number of votes cast for each candidate in the primary are published... will they be do you reckon?
  • Options
    SpeedySpeedy Posts: 12,100
    4 seats tonight that are of any interest:

Oban North and Lorn on Argyll and Bute will gives us an idea about the SNP.
    Newnham and Westbury on Forest of Dean, that's in a UKIP target.
    Haywards Heath, Lucastes on Mid Sussex, UKIP area.
    Folkestone, Harvey West on Shepway, also UKIP area.
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,911
    isam said:

I really hope the actual number of votes cast for each candidate in the primary are published... will they be do you reckon?

By my reckoning the maximum margin of victory is 51 votes

ie 2869/2818

If there were spoilt papers should be less
  • Options
    KentRisingKentRising Posts: 2,850
    Salmond wants power in Westminster! Could be in a coalition.
  • Options
    SpeedySpeedy Posts: 12,100
    edited October 2014

Britain might go through a Bloc Quebecois moment.
    They went from almost nothing to a complete control of all Quebec seats from 1993 till 2011.
    That's another parallel between Canada 1993 and Britain today, the other is UKIP and Reform.
  • Options
    isam said:

Why would they be any different from SLab? They have quoted only %s since their mass membership claim was ridiculed after giving actual ballot paper numbers issued in 2010.

Parties only use numbers that don't suit them when they have no choice to do otherwise.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 59,021
    I see the EU wants to take another 1.5bn quid from us, while giving the French 500mn for having a crap economy. Not exactly our fault that they voted for Hollande is it?
  • Options
    When are the Tories going to release the actual figures for the primary in Rochester?

They must be taking us all for fools if they think we haven't noticed the omission.
  • Options

isam said:

By my reckoning the maximum margin of victory is 51 votes

ie 2869/2818

If there were spoilt papers should be less
    Surely one would expect a fair number of spoilt papers in this situation, where every non-Tory voter had a free opportunity to write a few choice words. Are the Tories expecting us to believe there weren't any at all?
  • Options

He'd surely demand the Scottish Office?
  • Options
    TykejohnnoTykejohnno Posts: 7,362
    RobD said:

I see the EU wants to take another 1.5bn quid from us, while giving the French 500mn for having a crap economy. Not exactly our fault that they voted for Hollande is it?

On the EU economies -

Do sh!t and pay less,wow - the EU is a race to the bottom.
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

When are the Tories going to release the actual figures for the primary in Rochester?

They must be taking us all for fools if they think we haven't noticed the omission.

But to do that they'd have to actually count the votes, rather than just count the envelopes that have been returned and declare the chosen candidate as 'selected'. ;)
  • Options
    RobD said:

Benefits of a Union dear boy.

• Options
    edited October 2014
    FPT

isam said:

» show previous quotes
    If you are a low paid British worker who votes Labour it must feel like belonging to a trade union that advertises your job behind your back to anyone who will do it for less.

bigJohnowls said:

Wheras voting UKIP must make you feel like belonging to a club where the heirachy, MPs and majority of PPC are ex Tories who voted against workers rights every time. eg minimum wage when introduced and WTD legislation.

A very right wing club indeed

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the contrary, leaving the EU and therefore halting the flow of cheap foreign labour undercutting you is the best thing that could happen to the country if you are a low paid British worker

I don't see it as very left wing to justify depressing the wages of tradesmen by a quoting a GDP figure that is inflated by big profits for the richest

Even The Guardian agree today that Labour have forgotten the reason they were formed in the first place by their actions on this issue
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,210
    Speedy Indeed, though it was actually in 1984, the election after the first Quebec referendum in 1980 that the Liberals, like Labour, first saw their dominance end. In that election the Tories won 58 seats in Quebec having won only one in 1980 after promising Quebec a new deal. However it was not until 1993 that the Quebec nationalists made their big gains, winning 54 seats in Quebec to become the official opposition, just ahead of Reform (Canada's UKIP) on 52, the Tories came fifth with 2 seats behind the New Democrats setting the stage for their eventual merger with and takeover by Reform
  • Options
    While it has dropped out of the news a bit, Ebola is still not in control in Africa. Just under 10k cases and 5k deaths now. The latest report is sobering reading:

http://apps.who.int/iris/bitstream/10665/137091/1/roadmapsitrep22Oct2014_eng.pdf?ua=1

Still only a quarter of the required beds in Liberia and Sierra Leone
    20,000 people required for contract tracing in the 3 countries
    230 additional teams needed to bury dead bodies safely.

It is looking more likely it will only be stopped by a vaccine.
  • Options
    Len McCluskey: "To be honest with you the person who impresses me most, at the moment, is Andy Burnham."

Len on Ed Miliband: "“I don’t really know him well enough to say I like him.”

Well we know where the union money is going if Ed fails.
  • Options
    @Sun_Politics: YouGov/Sun poll tonight - Labour and Tories tied, as are Lib Dems & Greens: CON 34%, LAB 34%, LD 6%, UKIP 15%, GRN 6%
  • Options

RobD said:

Benefits of a Union dear boy.

Its ok, when Ed gets in and implements Hollande approach to economics, we will be getting those kind of hand-outs.
  • Options
    Sun Politics ‏@Sun_Politics

YouGov/Sun poll tonight - Labour and Tories tied, as are Lib Dems & Greens: CON 34%, LAB 34%, LD 6%, UKIP 15%, GRN 6%
  • Options
    BBC South East Today at 10.30pm led with the Tory vote and gave the winning candidate 30 secs of air-time, so it got a bit of attention.

No word, of course, on the rather meagre return, only that a "poll by a UKIP supporter" put Reckless ahead....
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

@Sun_Politics: YouGov/Sun poll tonight - Labour and Tories tied, as are Lib Dems & Greens: CON 34%, LAB 34%, LD 6%, UKIP 15%, GRN 6%

Cross..ooo...oh...

It does look like post-conference, that the Labour lead has narrowed by maybe 1%, even with UKIP on the rise. I think we are looking at probably 2-3% Labour lead, rather than 3-4%.

Different kettle of fish if the Tories can convince enough people to give them the 5-6% lead that they need.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,023
    LATEST:

Scotland's First Minister Alex Salmond considering standing for Westminster seat at the general election next year
  • Options

Scott_P said:

Cross..ooo...oh...

It does look like post-conference, that the Labour lead has narrowed by maybe 1%, even with UKIP on the rise. I think we are looking at probably 2-3% Labour lead, rather than 3-4%.

Different kettle of fish if the Tories can convince enough people to give them the 5-6% lead that they need.
    From my graph (on mobile so can't link) it does appear as though labour is falling as quick as UKIP are rising, whilst the Tories are roughly level.
  • Options
    MikeKMikeK Posts: 9,053
    The EU wants your cash.

FINANCIAL TIMES FRONT PAGE: "Brussels demands €2bn from UK after economy outpaces EU rivals" #skypapers pic.twitter.com/K0Q5IDlZa0

— Sky News (@SkyNews) October 23, 2014
  • Options
    Gordon ?
  • Options

Scott_P said:

Cross..ooo...oh...

The thing that stands out in recent polling.

Labour consistently below 35%
  • Options
    Erik Lamela's goal.

Wow.
  • Options

Scott_P said:

Cross..ooo...oh...

And the Tories!
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Gordon ?

Alive?
  • Options
    Ed really is extra crap after tonights YG tie that brings down the average LAB lead this week to 1.67% (6 polls)

LAB 322 CON 285 LD 15 Other 28 (ukpr) EICIPM (salmond is SOS for Scotland)
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,602
    edited October 2014

YouGov/Sun poll tonight - Labour and Tories tied, as are Lib Dems & Greens: CON 34%, LAB 34%, LD 6%, UKIP 15%, GRN 6%

Meh... Must be an outlier, UKIP are on only 15% :)
  • Options
    Where might Salmond stand:

SNP top targets are surely:

Gordon -> South Ochil & Perthshire -> Inverness -> Argyll & Bute ?

One of those ?
  • Options

Scott_P said:

Cross..ooo...oh...

And the Tories!
    But Labour's firewall is a bit shite at the moment.
  • Options
    The official page for Rochester Tories says "5,688 ballots returned" and then gives the percentages for both candidates.

No mention of actual votes for the candidates as opposed to percentages.
    No mention of how many spoilt papers were returned.
  • Options
    philiphphiliph Posts: 4,704
    edited October 2014
    Must be an outlier to have Tories above 32%. No need for ed to worry, his lead is safe this week.
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    AndyJS said:

The official page for Rochester Tories says "5,688 ballots returned" and then gives the percentages for both candidates.

Isn't the count handled by an independent body?
  • Options

Ed really is extra crap after tonights YG tie that brings down the average LAB lead this week to 1.67% (6 polls)

You should face the inevitable.

Ed isn't crap.

He's absolutely shite.

A tramp living on Clapham Common would do a better job than Ed.
  • Options
    manofkent2014manofkent2014 Posts: 1,543
    edited October 2014
    MikeK said:

The EU wants your cash.

FINANCIAL TIMES FRONT PAGE: "Brussels demands €2bn from UK after economy outpaces EU rivals" #skypapers pic.twitter.com/K0Q5IDlZa0

I thought I'd heard every stunt that those parasites could play but this leaves me gobsmacked. They've basically just decided that we can pay an extra £1.7 billion and much of it will be going to France. So we're effectively paying for Hollande's economic illiteracy. You could not make it up.

EU makes Britain pay for recovery
    The Prime Minister is ambushed with a demand for an extra £1.7billion because Britain has outperformed other European economies over past decade

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/europe/eu/11184044/EU-makes-Britain-pay-for-recovery.html

How can anyone support our involvement with these daylight robbers?
  • Options

Erik Lamela's goal.

Wow.

Mauricio Pochettino reaction suggests Lamela might be doing some extra laps in training.
  • Options
    We're going to have the SNP to the right of the Gov't on this first question :P !
  • Options
    compouter2compouter2 Posts: 2,371

Basil ...oh so nearly.
  • Options
    UKIP to give referendum on capital punishment.
  • Options
    isam said:

AndyJS said:

Isn't the count handled by an independent body?
    Yes, but my body is independent after a few drinks.

To be serious for a moment, electoral reform society I think. Presumably they have a contract which will control what information they can release.
  • Options

You should face the inevitable.

Ed isn't crap.

He's absolutely shite.

A tramp living on Clapham Common would do a better job than Ed.
    So if Ed is shite,what does that make Dave?
  • Options

If Stephen Fisher's weekly projection tomorrow includes tonight's tied YouGov/Sun poll, then the Tories appear likely to regain the lead for GE 2015 seats . Over the past 6 months neither of the two major parties have appeared capable of achieving an overall majority according to Fisher.

• Options
    Pulpstar said:

No UKIP Policy apparently
  • Options
    marke09marke09 Posts: 926
    BBC PARLIAMENT
    BBC PARLIAMENT

1964 General Election

Fifty years on, BBC Parliament offers a chance to relive the historic 1964 General Election. Harold Wilson (pictured) led Labour to a win on a slim majority, ending 13 years in power for the Conservative party led by Sir Alec Douglas-Home. He had succeeded Harold Macmillan as party leader and prime minister only 12 months earlier.

Richard Dimbleby presents the 1964 General Election results programme from Thursday 15 October 1964, with analysis by Ian Trethowan, David Butler and Robert McKenzie and interviews by Robin Day, Cliff Michelmore and ‘man about town’ David Frost with leading political figures and commentators.

Wednesday 12 November

10.00-11.30am

BBC PARLIAMENT
  • Options
    If UKIP needed any help for the upcoming by election,headlines like this should help.

PoliticsHome @politicshome

Friday's Telegraph front page - EU makes Britain pay for recovery pic.twitter.com/PwWmBoj9I2

• Options
    Pulpstar said:

Ugh. Referenda should be for constitutional matters only. We live in a representative democracy.
  • Options
    fitalassfitalass Posts: 4,279
    edited October 2014
    @Scott, as soon as Salmond resigned as FM following the Indy Referendum, there were rumours that he wanted to return to Westminster as an MP again. Since then, I have been pretty sure that Salmond would definitely go for the Gordon constituency where Libdem MP Malcolm Bruce is standing down at the next GE.
    Scott_P said:

• Options
    Harry Roberts release seems to have got up everyones nose.
  • Options

If UKIP needed any help for the upcoming by election,headlines like this should help.

Friday's Telegraph front page - EU makes Britain pay for recovery pic.twitter.com/PwWmBoj9I2

Quick,get Ed in,2 to 3 years down the line,we won't have to pay it ;-)

• Options

Dan Hodges headline tomorrow "Harry Roberts release is a disaster for Ed Miliband".
  • Options
    fitalass said:

@Scott, Salmond will stand in the Gordon constituency where Libdem MP Malcolm Bruce is standing down at the next GE.

Rejoining Team Westminster. Chance to get yet another resettlement payment.

What's not to like?
  • Options

Quick,get Ed in,2 to 3 years down the line,we won't have to pay it ;-)

Boooooooo!
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

fitalass said:

@Scott, Salmond will stand in the Gordon constituency where Libdem MP Malcolm Bruce is standing down at the next GE.

Rejoining Team Westminster. Chance to get yet another resettlement payment.

What's not to like?
    What will this be, his sixth pension?
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

According to who?
  • Options
    edited October 2014

Dan Hodges headline tomorrow "Harry Roberts release is a disaster for Ed Miliband".
    Not really. A shrinking vote share may be.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,673
    edited October 2014
    Would the referendum on capital punishment have a supplementary question on our preferred method of capital punishment, it could be conducted under AV, so we rank our preferences

a) Hanging
    b) electric chair
    c) lethal injection
    d) death by artillery gun
    e) firing squad
    f) sodomised to death by a bunch of horny honey badgers
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,367
    edited October 2014
    Pulpstar said:

One of those ?

If he was feeling mischievous/brave, Falkirk (Eric Joyce's constituency and next to where Salmond was born). Eck might get a boost from his contribution in saving Grangemouth, and the Labour candidate is a duffer Holyrood reject.
  • Options

Would the referendum on capital punishment have a supplementary question on our preferred method of capital punishment, it could be conducted under AV, so we rank our preferences

a) Hanging
    b) electric chair
    c) lethal injection
    e) firing squad

F...all in!
  • Options
    SocratesSocrates Posts: 10,322
    I see the EU is now demanding an extra two billion Euros off us. i thought Cameron had bravely negotiated a limit in the amount we paid in? Looks like it's absolute bollocks once again. Brussels simply isn't a trustworthy negotiating partner.
  • Options
    "No Tories north of Birmingham"

Has Len been to Richmond ?
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

One of those ?

On the day he announced his resignation, Salmond said that he had always enjoyed being an MP, representing the people of East Aberdeenshire. I'd be astonished if it was anywhere other than Gordon.

After all being both MSP for the overlapping seats of Gordon and Aberdeenshire East would give him precisely the same constituency workload as an English MP.
  • Options

a) Hanging
    b) electric chair
    c) lethal injection
    e) firing squad

If it is F I hope to god they aren't public executions.
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

According to who?
    The UKIP MEP on QT :P
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

According to who?
    That's one way of making a policy anouncement.
  • Options
    SocratesSocrates Posts: 10,322

MikeK said:

The EU wants your cash.

I thought I'd heard every stunt that those parasites could play but this leaves me gobsmacked. They've basically just decided that we can pay an extra £1.7 billion and much of it will be going to France. So we're effectively paying for Hollande's economic illiteracy. You could not make it up.

The Prime Minister is ambushed with a demand for an extra £1.7billion because Britain has outperformed other European economies over past decade

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/europe/eu/11184044/EU-makes-Britain-pay-for-recovery.html

Cameron said the other day that his boss was the British people, not Brussels. As it's almost certain that the British people oppose this cash grab from the feckless Eurocrats, Cameron should surely refuse to hand over the money. Or is he going to be told what to do by Jean-Claude Juncker?
  • Options

Meh... Must be an outlier, UKIP are on only 15% :)
    Kipper Calypso Collaspo?
  • Options
    Recovery not reached Liverpool.
  • Options
    Socrates said:

I see the EU is now demanding an extra two billion Euros off us. i thought Cameron had bravely negotiated a limit in the amount we paid in? Looks like it's absolute bollocks once again. Brussels simply isn't a trustworthy negotiating partner.

Oh it gets better because that is on top of the £5.4 billion (our share to pay £680 million) that the EP voted for themselves after Dave had supposedly capped expenditure.

They are just thieves!
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

According to who?
    She's not that impressive is she?

It's not UKIP policy to have a referendum on capital punishment
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

If they did that would be the final straw for me. No government should have the power to execute it's citizens.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

"No Tories north of Birmingham"

Has Len been to Richmond ?

Or, indeed, Dumfriesshire?
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    Socrates said:

On this occasion, I think there is a rationale for doing what the U.S did to the UN for many years and simply not pay.
  • Options
    isam said:

Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

According to who?
    She's not that impressive is she?

It's not UKIP policy to have a referendum on capital punishment
    I was being slightly sarcastic. I am not actually watching it, and didn't think for one minute they would do that. Maybe she has just got a little bit excited being on the tele.
  • Options
    Socrates said:

MikeK said:

The EU wants your cash.

Cameron said the other day that his boss was the British people, not Brussels. As it's almost certain that the British people oppose this cash grab from the feckless Eurocrats, Cameron should surely refuse to hand over the money. Or is he going to be told what to do by Jean-Claude Juncker?

Yep,2 big moments here for Cameron,his big announcement near Christmas on EU immigration and the EU money grab.

Don't wobble dave.

• Options

a) Hanging
    b) electric chair
    c) lethal injection
    e) firing squad

g) run over by a bus gets my vote
  • Options

Socrates said:

MikeK said:

The EU wants your cash.

Yep,2 big moments here for Cameron,his big announcement near Christmas on EU immigration and the EU money grab.

Don't wobble dave.

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2013/08/27/article-2402671-1B78ABE0000005DC-201_634x455.jpg
  • Options
    Can f) really kill you?
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,673
    edited October 2014

Can f) really kill you?

Yes.

One Honey Badger vs Six (yes 6) Lions

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iksnk1YVkac
  • Options
    edited October 2014

Can f) really kill you?

If there were 800 of them hanging out of you, I don't think asprin would help.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Well, that's UKIP 'libertarian' pretences out the window (though they were only ever half-heartedly entertained at best). The state's right to bring about the death of its own citizens is the ultimate authoritarian presumption.
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,931
    Scott_P said:

Alex lining up a hard left Labour/SNP coalition?

That'll go down well with England...
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 36,012
    Socrates said:

What do you think Cameron's reaction will be?

Talk tough. Cave in.
  • Options
    UKIP policy piss take getting annoying.

However I did think the 2 main parties had a dearth of talent but UKIP lady is another level of shitness.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 36,012

Pulpstar said:

If they did that would be the final straw for me. No government should have the power to execute it's citizens.
    Assume, for the sake of argument, UKIP won 326 seats. There'd surely be a free vote on capital punishment, but it would probably get voted down.
This discussion has been closed.