Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Rochester and Strood is being presented as solely a CON-UKI

Comments

• Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,054

My position is what it has been since around August 2010: we are heading for a Hung Parliament.

Oh Jesus.
  • Options
    Con or Lab Maj nailed on !
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    isam said:

TGOHF said:

Red on purple

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/ukip/11178984/Chuka-Umunna-on-Ukip-vile-abhorrent-and-un-British.html

"The shadow business secretary suggested Ukip is not judged on the same terms as mainstream parties, saying that racism had been “priced in” by critics."

Well there's your evidence

Everything Umunna says in that interview could and,indeed has, been said by Tories on here this week

There really is no difference. That's why both parties are losing support
    Hmm - both Assad and Obama are against ISIS - therefore they are the same by your "everyone is out to get us" logic.

• Options
    antifrank said:

Where the Lib Dems have been strong in Westminster seats, the SNP have historically been weak. While the SNP may pick up some of the seats from a Lib Dem implosion, five would be really going some. They are odds against in every Lib Dem seat bar Gordon. If you think that the SNP might pick up five of these, you should be betting on the constituency markets instead.

I think it more likely that the Tories will take two or three lib dem Scottish seats.
  • Options
    weejonnieweejonnie Posts: 3,820
    On the current yougov the Lib-Dem Split is interesting

Con: 13%
    Lab: 27%
    Lib Dem 30%
    UKIP 14%
    Green 13%
    Nationalists 2%

So although the 2:1 Labour/ Tory split is confirmed, it is nowhere near as much as previously thought.

And any Green resurgence will no doubt adversely affect the Labour vote.
    :
  • Options

TGOHF said:

Red on purple

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/ukip/11178984/Chuka-Umunna-on-Ukip-vile-abhorrent-and-un-British.html

"The shadow business secretary suggested Ukip is not judged on the same terms as mainstream parties, saying that racism had been “priced in” by critics."

UKIP should be wise not to attack Britain's Barack Obama.
    To my discomfiture I find myself agreeing with public schoolboy race huckster Umunna about something.

It's unfortunate, though, that the things he cites as not being all the fault of immigration - "getting an appointment at your GP, the fact you aren’t earning enough at work, the fact your child can’t get a house round the corner from you" - absolutely are.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

My position is what it has been since around August 2010: we are heading for a Hung Parliament.

Oh Jesus.
    The electorate seems more keen on a Hanged Parliament right now.
  • Options
    MikeSmithsonMikeSmithson Posts: 7,382
    edited October 2014
    Millsy said:

Millsy said:

"But in the only polling that’s been done, the Survation survey, Labour was holding up pretty well"

Not really, Mike. If the poll is any guide Labour are down 3% on 2010 (not a good year remember) and down 17% on 2005 (Medway).

Don't you understand my analysis. If you take away the non 2010 voters then the overall pool on which the numbers are calculated would a lot smaller and LAB would be up a bit of 2010.
    Non-2010 voters are scaled down massively in the voting intention
    They were not. Survation does not do that.

34.9% of the UKIP vote in the Survation poll final figures were non-2010 voters or said they had voted for a party that did not contest the election.

• Options
    Millsy said:

Millsy said:

"But in the only polling that’s been done, the Survation survey, Labour was holding up pretty well"

Not really, Mike. If the poll is any guide Labour are down 3% on 2010 (not a good year remember) and down 17% on 2005 (Medway).

Don't you understand my analysis. If you take away the non 2010 voters then the overall pool on which the numbers are calculated would a lot smaller and LAB would be up a bit of 2010.
    Non-2010 voters are scaled down massively in the voting intention
    That could be a major fail.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 41,118
    TGOHF said:

isam said:

TGOHF said:

Red on purple

Everything Umunna says in that interview could and,indeed has, been said by Tories on here this week

Hmm - both Assad and Obama are against ISIS - therefore they are the same by your "everyone is out to get us" logic.

Mock if you like but what he says about the polish MEP and the mike READ song is the standard PB non Ukip view whether you're labour or Tory...

Conservative posters are so desperate to knock Ukip they sound just like right on PC labour empty suits... Who's the man and who's the pig?
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 36,022
    TGOHF said:

Sean_F said:

Yorkcity said:

antifrank said:

It's quite remarkable that Labour are such long odds in a seat which they held until 2010. I don't completely exclude the possibility that they'll win (and accordingly have made sure that when appropriate I have laid UKIP rather than backed the Conservatives). I don't subscribe to any theory of opposition that involves the Opposition not, you know, opposing.

Labour is opposing. But its message - or what it is passing off as a message - lacks any credibility, as does its leader. The Labour strategy is to Not Be The Tories and, to a lesser extent, Not To Be The LibDems. That might work with a Coalition in a three party system - in fact, it probably was working for a while during this Parliament. But it does not work when there is a fourth party, or four and a half, if you include the Greens.

Ed Miliband is in a league of his own as the worst leader of a major political party we have seen in this country for decades. And that includes Foot, IDS and Hague. The only good thing he has done is put in place a system for electing Labour party leaders which makes it harder for someone like him to ever be in charge again.

You will be filling your boots then I presume on a Conservative majority at 4/1 or
    Conservative most seats at 5/4 ?

Can you let me know your position, so I an avoid it like the plague.

Labour doesn't look as though it's heading for a win, next year.

Could be a disappointing night for everyone next May - Con stay static, LDs lose a few, Lab gain a few but lost some to the SNP , Kippers get a decent vote share but not many MPs and lose Roch and Strood back to Con. SNP and the pro Brit Ulster parties (if they do a pact) may be happy.

I think at this stage, I'd expect something like Con 34%, Lab 31%, UKIP 13%, Lib Dem 10%, Others 12%.

• Options
    YorkcityYorkcity Posts: 4,382

Yorkcity said:

antifrank said:

It's quite remarkable that Labour are such long odds in a seat which they held until 2010. I don't completely exclude the possibility that they'll win (and accordingly have made sure that when appropriate I have laid UKIP rather than backed the Conservatives). I don't subscribe to any theory of opposition that involves the Opposition not, you know, opposing.

Labour is opposing. But its message - or what it is passing off as a message - lacks any credibility, as does its leader. The Labour strategy is to Not Be The Tories and, to a lesser extent, Not To Be The LibDems. That might work with a Coalition in a three party system - in fact, it probably was working for a while during this Parliament. But it does not work when there is a fourth party, or four and a half, if you include the Greens.

Ed Miliband is in a league of his own as the worst leader of a major political party we have seen in this country for decades. And that includes Foot, IDS and Hague. The only good thing he has done is put in place a system for electing Labour party leaders which makes it harder for someone like him to ever be in charge again.

You will be filling your boots then I presume on a Conservative majority at 4/1 or

Can you let me know your position, so I can avoid it like the plague.

My position is what it has been since around August 2010: we are heading for a Hung Parliament. Good luck if you want to get against that. Labour will win some seats next time round because We Are Not The Tories will work in certain parts of the country. But what a barren strategy it is, built on the back of a policy vacuum and no coherent critique of this thoroughly depressing government.
    The only strategy is to be honest regarding the debt and deficit and how it will be addressed in the next 5 years after the GE, no party is doing that.

However I have to agree with you that no overall majority at 10/11 looks better that a labour majority at 15/8.

I
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,291
    edited October 2014
    Grammar Schoolgirl and Birmingham University & Law School in London, is she a do as I do Labour candidate or do as the party says, close them down...

http://www.kentonline.co.uk/medway/news/labour-challenger-hoping-to-give-8393/

Worked at Dept For Education, as a what? NUS hack at Uni, but useful background to have. Quite a good choice by Labour, local girl made good.
  • Options
    dr_spyn said:

Grammar Schoolgirl and Birmingham University & Law School in London, is she a do as I do Labour candidate or do as the party says, close them down...

Worked at Dept For Education, as a what? NUS hack at Uni, but useful background to have. Quite a good choice by Labour, local girl made good.

I love how so many of these Labouroids who oppose selective education for other people benefited from it themselves.
  • Options
    MikeKMikeK Posts: 9,053

TGOHF said:

Red on purple

THAT !!!!! is Britain's Barak Obama!!!!! ROTGL
  • Options
    What are people predictions for the LD's in London next year?

I would hazard to guess;

Sutton and Cheam - Con GAIN
    Carshalton and Wallington - Con GAIN
    Twickenham - LD HOLD
    Kingston and Surbiton - LD HOLD
    Hornsey and Wood Green - Lab GAIN
    Bermondsey and Old Southwark - Lab GAIN
    Brent Central - Lab GAIN

Could be a rough night for the Yellow's in the capital...
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,950
    Morning all :)

I've no information on what's happening in R&S but election campaigning works on many levels and it isn't always about how many activists you have on any particular day. Oddly enough, if too many turn up, you get into the law of diminishing returns in terms of the logistics. What you need is a solid reliable number coming out day after day around whom you can plan.

The Conservatives don't as yet have a candidate and while I may be in a minority of one (not for the first or last time) on this I have to say I'm opposed to primaries.

We don't have the same method of voter registration as exists in the US and it strikes me as daft to allow your opponents (both inside and outside the Party) to choose your candidate. Look at what's happened in the US where established Congressmen and Senators have been ousted not by the electorate by a cadre within their own Party who have got allies registered to enable them to participate in the primary.

Imagine if Mourinho sent Wenger or van Gaal or whoever their squad and asked them to pick his team. In essence, that's an open primary. By all means let the membership of the Party pick the candidate and that's what happens in most parties though that's not risk free for incumbents by any means but if you go down the open primary route you run the risk of your opponents seeing the possibility of picking the candidate least likely to win or (as is the case in R&S) you put up two (of your own choosing) identikit candidates with such similar views that if they were men it would be a choice between John Jackson and Jack Johnson.

Now, what would be really interesting would be an Ashcroft poll showing UKIP leading, Labour second and the Conservatives third - that might cause a ripple or two on here.
  • Options
    Yorkcity said:

Yorkcity said:

antifrank said:

Can you let me know your position, so I can avoid it like the plague.

My position is what it has been since around August 2010: we are heading for a Hung Parliament. Good luck if you want to get against that. Labour will win some seats next time round because We Are Not The Tories will work in certain parts of the country. But what a barren strategy it is, built on the back of a policy vacuum and no coherent critique of this thoroughly depressing government.
    The only strategy is to be honest regarding the debt and deficit and how it will be addressed in the next 5 years after the GE, no party is doing that.

However I have to agree with you that no overall majority at 10/11 looks better that a labour majority at 15/8.

I
    Agree with all of that. 2015 is likely to be the None of the Above election. Hopefully, it will also mark the beginning of the end of FPTP. The pressure for change will not begin in Parliament, of course; but with a bit of luck the British public might begin to realise just how dysfunctional the present system has become and will begin to demand reform.

• Options
    isam said:

TGOHF said:

isam said:

TGOHF said:

Red on purple

Mock if you like but what he says about the polish MEP and the mike READ song is the standard PB non Ukip view whether you're labour or Tory...

Conservative posters are so desperate to knock Ukip they sound just like right on PC labour empty suits... Who's the man and who's the pig?
    You are so keen to show the Kippers as "different" - yet...

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2014/oct/21/nigel-farage-fined-failure-declare-free-office-space

• Options
    @Bond_James_Bond always fun to listen to them spin their way out that.

"our treasured NHS". Looks as she is playing Four Kentish Women card: I grew up when money was tight, all we could afford was a cardboard box in middle of t'road.

http://www.naushabahkhan.org.uk/why_i_am_fighting_this_election
  • Options

I would hazard to guess;

Twickenham - LD HOLD
    Brent Central - Lab GAIN

Brent Central, certain Labour gain
    Horsey & Wood Green probable Labour gain
    Kingston & Surbiton, probable Conservative gain.

The rest should be holds.

• Options
    TheWatcherTheWatcher Posts: 5,262
    TGOHF said:

isam said:

TGOHF said:

isam said:

TGOHF said:

Red on purple

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2014/oct/21/nigel-farage-fined-failure-declare-free-office-space

'Banks of computers', trousering allowances not expenses etc

Just a bit of fun, as Nigel would say.
  • Options
    dugarbandierdugarbandier Posts: 2,596
    MikeK said:

TGOHF said:

Red on purple

THAT !!!!! is Britain's Barak Obama!!!!! ROTGL
    makes a good speech, turns out to be mediocre in office? sounds plausible to me
  • Options
    JonnyJimmyJonnyJimmy Posts: 2,548
    Just heard Dreadlock Holiday by 10cc on the radio. I'm pretty sure they managed it without a Readesque accent.
  • Options

TGOHF said:

Red on purple

To my discomfiture I find myself agreeing with public schoolboy race huckster Umunna about something.

It's unfortunate, though, that the things he cites as not being all the fault of immigration - "getting an appointment at your GP, the fact you aren’t earning enough at work, the fact your child can’t get a house round the corner from you" - absolutely are.
    Chuka went into full on rant mode with Ian Dale last night - it's worth listening to if you get the chance.
  • Options
    chestnutchestnut Posts: 7,341

I would hazard to guess;

Twickenham - LD HOLD
    Brent Central - Lab GAIN

Hughes will hold Bermondsey. Been the MP for 30 years.

Last marginal poll had that by a whisker.... and then Ed gave his conference speech, so it's surely a short neck rather than a nose now? Isn't Sutton a comfortable hold as well?

• Options

I would hazard to guess;

Twickenham - LD HOLD
    Brent Central - Lab GAIN

Last marginal poll had that by a whisker.... and then Ed gave his conference speech, so it's surely a short neck rather than a nose now? Isn't Sutton a comfortable hold as well?

• Options
    TGOHF said:

isam said:

TGOHF said:

isam said:

TGOHF said:

Red on purple

Policy wise Ukip and attitude wise Ukip are very different. Although it isn't the fact they are different that makes me inclined to support them, if the other parties genuinely agreed with them if be happy we were all the same

I don't think i have ever justified supporting them because they were somehow "different" anyway, you are making that up.

The truth is that a labour empty suit spouts the kind of right on crap that conservatives would usually hammer him for, only they now say it themselves because they are obsessed with trying to rubbish Ukip, so they end up agreeing with him.

This is what happens when you abandon independent critical thinking

• Options
    Umunna is a shiny haircut with shiny teeth in a shiny suit.

As a rightie I very much hope Labour make him leader if and when Redward fails.
  • Options
    MikeKMikeK Posts: 9,053
    Socrates said:

TGOHF said:

Red on purple

I can't remember when Chukka Umunna criticised the racism of Diane Abbott ("white people love to play divide and rule", "I'm not going to comment about whether West Indian mothers love their children more"), or called the 9/11 deniers and terrorists in Labour's EP grouping "abhorrent".

Also, I note this comment: "the kind of things you hear people saying about eastern Europeans these days is exactly the kinds of things they were saying about black and Asian people when they first arrived in this country."

Really? When? I've heard plenty of criticism about European immigration, but I don't think I've ever heard people make ethnic slurs about Poles and Lithuanians. Can Chukka Umunna provide any evidence of these claims? Or is he just making up racial prejudice in an effort to smear UKIP?

It's very sad to see someone like Chukka Umunna, who has a lot going for him, sinking into playing the race card.
    Playing the Race Card against UKIP for all it's worth, is just what the Lab/Lib/Con will do in the run up to the election. They will lie, distort and even bring in the law, to try to crush UKIP's election chances. Pbers must realise that UKIP coming anywhere near power, will mean the end of the PC world we are all forced to live in now.
  • Options

Wind power generated more than nuclear yesterday.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-29715796

25% of Britains nuclear plants are off-line, so that skews the figures somewhat.

'The energy network operator said it was caused by a combination of high winds and faults in nuclear plants.'
  • Options
    edited October 2014

Just heard Dreadlock Holiday by 10cc on the radio. I'm pretty sure they managed it without a Readesque accent.

Really???????

I'd listen to it again if I were you

• Options
    weejonnieweejonnie Posts: 3,820
    And there is actually a Labour --> Tory net switch! (not statistically significant but interesting.).
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    Since Dreadlock Holiday is a story of a white man visiting the Caribbean, it's hardly surprising that parts of the song are sung with a white man impersonating Jamaican accents.
  • Options
    SimonStClareSimonStClare Posts: 7,976
    edited October 2014
    MikeK said:

Socrates said:

TGOHF said:

Red on purple

I can't remember when Chukka Umunna criticised the racism of Diane Abbott ("white people love to play divide and rule", "I'm not going to comment about whether West Indian mothers love their children more"), or called the 9/11 deniers and terrorists in Labour's EP grouping "abhorrent".

Also, I note this comment: "the kind of things you hear people saying about eastern Europeans these days is exactly the kinds of things they were saying about black and Asian people when they first arrived in this country."

Really? When? I've heard plenty of criticism about European immigration, but I don't think I've ever heard people make ethnic slurs about Poles and Lithuanians. Can Chukka Umunna provide any evidence of these claims? Or is he just making up racial prejudice in an effort to smear UKIP?

It's very sad to see someone like Chukka Umunna, who has a lot going for him, sinking into playing the race card.
    Playing the Race Card against UKIP for all it's worth, is just what the Lab/Lib/Con will do in the run up to the election. They will lie, distort and even bring in the law, to try to crush UKIP's election chances. Pbers must realise that UKIP coming anywhere near power, will mean the end of the PC world we are all forced to live in now.
    'Infamy! Infamy! They've all got it in for me!' - MrK, were you Kenneth Williams in another life?
  • Options
    isam said:

TGOHF said:

isam said:

TGOHF said:

isam said:

TGOHF said:

Red on purple

Policy wise Ukip and attitude wise Ukip are very different. Although it isn't the fact they are different that makes me inclined to support them, if the other parties genuinely agreed with them if be happy we were all the same

I don't think i have ever justified supporting them because they were somehow "different" anyway, you are making that up.

The truth is that a labour empty suit spouts the kind of right on crap that conservatives would usually hammer him for, only they now say it themselves because they are obsessed with trying to rubbish Ukip, so they end up agreeing with him.

This is what happens when you abandon independent critical thinking

Most Conservative voters aren't PC. Using PC arguments against UKIP therefore grates with a lot of them.

• Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    @rosschawkins: Mike Read withdraws his UKIP Calypso "I am so sorry that the song unintentionally caused offence"
  • Options
    chestnut said:

I would hazard to guess;

Twickenham - LD HOLD
    Brent Central - Lab GAIN

Only a 1,608 majority in Sutton (according to Wikipedia at least) so I'd expect that to go Blue with some ease.

Bermondsey is the kind of constituency that should be Labour but Hughes has held on through a mix of personal votes and the LD's being perceived to the left of Labour till 2010. The latter isn't the case anymore so I think it could easily fall to the Reds.
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    Scott_P said:

@rosschawkins: Mike Read withdraws his UKIP Calypso "I am so sorry that the song unintentionally caused offence"

Just a "bit of fun".
  • Options

Quincel said:

Alistair said:

The Ladbrokes over/under on SNP seats is 10.5

Over: 1.72
    Under: 2.1

The Lib Dems suffered an apocalypse at the Holyrood election. I know I've cautioned against trying ot extrapolate Holyrood behaviour to Westminster elections but a Lib Dem apocalyse in Scotland for the GE would probably give the SNP enough seats to go over 10.5 even without touching Labour.

I'm tempted.

This is interesting potential bet. By my reckoning LibDems would need to lose 5 to SNP (if not touching Labour). That seems steep given the strong personal factors in many of their seats. Which ones do you see as more likely to fall?
    Antifrank has written about this in the past more cogently than I, but put bluntly:

1. Loads of LD Scots MPs are standing down
    2. You simply can't hols 20% of the seats on 7% of the vote. The numbers don't add up.

Instead of saying which ones will fall, I'll name the seats I think are safe:

Orkney and Shetlands
    Ross, Skye, and Lochaber

A couple of others are holdable, but I'd be shocked if the LD's held more than 5 Scottish seats on 8% or less of the vote.
    Do you actually do any research before you post rubbish on here ? Who are the " loads " of LD Scots MPs standing down . I think it is just 2 , Malcolm Bruce and Ming .
    2 retiring and John Thurso not yet reselected? Also Sir Robert Smith may change his mind.

• Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 38,995
    edited October 2014
    antifrank said:

Since Dreadlock Holiday is a story of a white man visiting the Caribbean, it's hardly surprising that parts of the song are sung with a white man impersonating Jamaican accents.

It's also a song made for commercial/"artistic" reasons; unlike Mike Read's UKIP calypso, which was made to promote a political party and, among other things, focuses on illegal immigration. Not that the Read ditty is racist. It's just utterly crap and totally crass.

• Options
    Scott_P said:

Wonder if anyone was really, genuinely offended. He should have apologised for it being shit, though
  • Options

Scott_P said:

Wonder if anyone was really, genuinely offended. He should have apologised for it being shit, though
    and for disappointing the Saturday superstore generation by blowing his cool image for ever
  • Options

Scott_P said:

I reckon anyone who appreciates a good calypso tune was offended.

• Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,950

I would hazard to guess;

Twickenham - LD HOLD
    Brent Central - Lab GAIN

Well, Ashcroft's marginals poll suggested Tom Brake and Paul Burstow would increase their majorities in C&W and S&C respectively and look at the local election results for Sutton this year (increased LD majority and ask Timmo about that).

K&S - very tight indeed, Tudor last week was a good result for the LDs in a Ward they have never won even when sweeping Kingston. Force me to have a bet with your money and I'd back an LD hold but it's the less likely outcome.

H&WG: Unlikely though the local results weren't too bad. A fair result in the recent Woodside by-election (but that's all).

B&OS: Simon defied the odds in 1997 and may do so again. It'll be very hard for his successor as LD candidate as Simon has a huge personal vote.

Brent Central: Not looking good at all - LAB gain.

Twickenham: Boris was making mischief about this last week and I think the Conservatives believe they have a sniff here. Good set of local election results for them in Richmond but that didn't translate last time round and Vince has a strong personal vote.

Of far more interest are the Conservative losses next year - it's possible all the gains from Labour in 2010 will be reversed - seats like Brentford & Isleworth look likely LAB gains but what about Ilford North ? I can't see any UKIP gains in London.

• Options

Scott_P said:

I reckon anyone who appreciates a good calypso tune was offended.

point taken
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

Dearie me - wouldn't trust the Kippers to run a whelk stall - one farce after another.
  • Options
    Ishmael_XIshmael_X Posts: 3,664

As you are clearly tone-deaf, try listening to the words? It's a song about how dem darkies will mug you soon as look at you, unless you can beguile the lovable simpletons by pretending to like cricket and Jamaica.

• Options
    MarkSeniorMarkSenior Posts: 4,699

chestnut said:

I would hazard to guess;

Twickenham - LD HOLD
    Brent Central - Lab GAIN

Only a 1,608 majority in Sutton (according to Wikipedia at least) so I'd expect that to go Blue with some ease.

Bermondsey is the kind of constituency that should be Labour but Hughes has held on through a mix of personal votes and the LD's being perceived to the left of Labour till 2010. The latter isn't the case anymore so I think it could easily fall to the Reds.
    In Sutton we have the council results in May showing a landslide Lib Dem win and Lord Ashcroft's constituency poll showing a substantial swing from Con to Lib Dem , what local knowledge makes you think it will go Blue at all let alone with some ease ?
  • Options
    antifrank said:

Or you could say it is about a white man being mugged in the Caribbean and using racial stereotypes in a very negative way... A product of its time maybe
  • Options
    edited October 2014
  • Options
    Tom Newton Dunn ‏@tnewtondunn 5m

Quote of #GF10: @LyntonKCrosby to @DouglasCarswell; "Hey Douglas what do you think of that Pole then? Come on, you're all for transparency?"
  • Options
    weejonnie said:

The Government has sold off substantial tranches of Lloyds bank shares. RBS is downsizing to raise capital and Northern Rock was sold off (the good part) whilst the bad part is doing its best to get as much as it can from the loans it still has on the books (there was a recent report about someone who re-mortgaged from Northern Rock only to find that the personal loan of the 125% mortgage had its interest increased substantially).

All banks have had to pay fees for the use of Government lines of credit - it has been a nice little earner.

I'm clumsily alluding to the political attack line about the debt.

1) The opposition never mention that the bank debts were nationalised and omit them fromm discussion. Having forgotten the deficit and immigration in the leaders speech, have they now forgotten the bank runs and debts?

2) Using the debt measure that includes the banks actually allows Dave to legitimately claim debt is down compared to GDP in 2010.
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    isam said:

antifrank said:

Or you could say it is about a white man being mugged in the Caribbean and using racial stereotypes in a very negative way... A product of its time maybe
    So far as the story of the song is concerned, I'd agree with that. But complaining about the accent rather than the lyrics is to strain at a gnat having swallowed a camel.
  • Options
    The Daily Rant is on the warpath again today.

'Ed Miliband's cunning plan is for health to be Labour's big topic in the General Election. They might want to rethink given what happened in the Commons yesterday, writes QUENTIN LETTS'

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2802364/hunt-left-burnham-peaky-tragic-frown-face-quentin-letts-sees-labour-health-spokesman-squirming.html
  • Options
    OblitusSumMeOblitusSumMe Posts: 9,143
    edited October 2014
    Millsy said:

When does the YouGov polling get worrying for Labour? And how far will the party fall? They are averaging less than 34% so far in October - down from 39% this time last year and up until February this year. The trend is definitely not their friend!

The Tories aren't doing any better but at least they are stagnant at around 32%/33%.

http://d25d2506sfb94s.cloudfront.net/cumulus_uploads/document/67mgjr0dbp/YG-Archives-Pol-Trackers-Voting-Trends-with-UKIP-201014.pdf

Looking at the YouGov averages, perhaps the defections to UKIP, resulted in Con -2, Lab -1 and UKIP +3, and Miliband's relatively poor Conference resulted in Lab -2, Con nc, such that the Labour lead with YouGov is now about 1 point down on July.

It's a bit problematic to look at the monthly average for October to date, as the beginning of October was the period of the Conservative conference bounce, which later subsided.

Would be interesting to have monthly aggregates for all the YouGov data.
  • Options
    antifrank said:

isam said:

antifrank said:

So far as the story of the song is concerned, I'd agree with that. But complaining about the accent rather than the lyrics is to strain at a gnat having swallowed a camel.
    I'm not complaining about anything, just surprised that someone used it as an example of a song not being sung in a Jamaican accent, when it is!
  • Options
    stodge said:

I would hazard to guess;

Twickenham - LD HOLD
    Brent Central - Lab GAIN

Well, Ashcroft's marginals poll suggested Tom Brake and Paul Burstow would increase their majorities in C&W and S&C respectively and look at the local election results for Sutton this year (increased LD majority and ask Timmo about that).

K&S - very tight indeed, Tudor last week was a good result for the LDs in a Ward they have never won even when sweeping Kingston. Force me to have a bet with your money and I'd back an LD hold but it's the less likely outcome.

H&WG: Unlikely though the local results weren't too bad. A fair result in the recent Woodside by-election (but that's all).

B&OS: Simon defied the odds in 1997 and may do so again. It'll be very hard for his successor as LD candidate as Simon has a huge personal vote.

Brent Central: Not looking good at all - LAB gain.

Twickenham: Boris was making mischief about this last week and I think the Conservatives believe they have a sniff here. Good set of local election results for them in Richmond but that didn't translate last time round and Vince has a strong personal vote.

Of far more interest are the Conservative losses next year - it's possible all the gains from Labour in 2010 will be reversed - seats like Brentford & Isleworth look likely LAB gains but what about Ilford North ? I can't see any UKIP gains in London.

It's unlikely Ilford North will be lost, as the Conservatives outpolled Labour in May. I'd be confident that the Conservatives will hold Harrow East and Finchley.

• Options
    JonnyJimmyJonnyJimmy Posts: 2,548
    Ishmael_X said:

As you are clearly tone-deaf, try listening to the words? It's a song about how dem darkies will mug you soon as look at you, unless you can beguile the lovable simpletons by pretending to like cricket and Jamaica.

My tone deafness doesn't make me hear words like "them" not pronounced as "dem". There are lines in the song where he quotes Jamaicans, saying "me" instead of "my", but that's hardly the same thing.
  • Options
    The Conservatives should hold Battersea easily, as well.
  • Options
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-29715630

£70,000 per foreign prisoner D:
  • Options

Ishmael_X said:

My tone deafness doesn't make me hear words like "them" not pronounced as "dem". There are lines in the song where he quotes Jamaicans, saying "me" instead of "my", but that's hardly the same thing.
    The chorus is an englishman doing an impression of a Jamaican to avoid being mugged
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    @wallaceme: This week UKIP released a calypso and allied with a party that claims Jews run a "holocaust industry". Guess which they've apologised for.
  • Options
    Where Woolf, There Woolf, Can't chose Woolf.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-29719090

new whitehall farce.
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    Ooh someone wants 80 for £90 on labour in Rochester... Might lay off
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

@wallaceme: This week UKIP released a calypso and allied with a party that claims Jews run a "holocaust industry". Guess which they've apologised for.

but as mentioned on the previous thread, the tories are allied with plenty of fruitcakes, loonies and holocaust deniers in the EU parliament. UKIP only has one, and they seem to have checked carefully that he hasn't said anything too outrageous- all the dirt is on the party chief, I think
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    Scott_P said:

The latter was worth £1 million a year in funding, hence the silence.
  • Options
    FalseFlagFalseFlag Posts: 1,801
    Pulpstar said:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-29715630

£70,000 per foreign prisoner D:

Jamaicans third for nationality of foreign prisoners.
  • Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 38,995
    edited October 2014
    It seems dis UKIP song has had an effect
    Some folk tink it shows plenty disrespeck
    But dems all fools, dem make me mad
    Dat liberal elite, it's evil and bad

Tra-la-lee ...
  • Options
    dr_spyn said:

new whitehall farce.

Butler-Sloss was far and away the better person to lead this enquiry.
  • Options

chestnut said:

I would hazard to guess;

Twickenham - LD HOLD
    Brent Central - Lab GAIN

In Sutton we have the council results in May showing a landslide Lib Dem win and Lord Ashcroft's constituency poll showing a substantial swing from Con to Lib Dem , what local knowledge makes you think it will go Blue at all let alone with some ease ?
    No local knowledge as I am firmly in North London, however the slim majority and national factors are why I think the blue's will take it. But appreciate the update on local factors including local election results.
  • Options

Ishmael_X said:

No, he does the whole thing in a silly voice. Listen to the first two lines.
  • Options
    Ishmael_X said:

Ishmael_X said:

got any dirt on Sting? bashing Sting is always good fun :)
  • Options

Tra-la-lee ...

careful now
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,380
    chestnut said:

Not a sequitur. Research shows that insofar as voters react to candidates at all, they move from "Nice to have a new face" to "They're doing OK, let's give them another go" to "They've been around forever, time for a change". The MP I replaced had been there for 21 years, and lost to a swing that was well above average. I was there for 13 years, and felt my personal vote peaked in 2001, though it's rebounded a bit since I lost (nostalgia burnishes images).

dr_spyn said:

I love how so many of these Labouroids who oppose selective education for other people benefited from it themselves.
    As I've also said about Cameron, it's not your fault where you went to school or what sort of family you have; the question is what you do with the experience later. My dad, who went to prep school and Winchester, came out convinced that public schools should be abolished as both divisive and an abnormal preparation for life (didn't stop him voting Tory and Liberal for other reasons).
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    Sean_F said:

Alistair said:

Quincel said:

Quite how the LDs are expecting to hold a load of majorities of 4-5k with a vote share of 1/3rd their 2010 performance I'm yet to understand.

Because the LD vote is going to melt in seats they are not competitive in which will apocalypse their vote share but not necessarily their seat count.
    That didn't work out for them in the Scottish Parliamentary elections.

In 2011 the seats they lost mostly had SNP in strong second place in 2007. That's not the case for the GE seats. The SNP are often well distant. The Lib Dems are obviously going to lose seats in Scotland - I'm just not sure they are going to lose them to the SNP to allow the SNP to breach 10.5 seats.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    Gadfly said:

Wind power generated more than nuclear yesterday.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-29715796

Essentially because it was exceptionally windy, and 8 of the UK's 15 nuclear reactors are currently offline.
    So really the energy equivalent of a polling crossover then?
  • Options
    CD13CD13 Posts: 6,352
    Southam,

Nice one. The Ukip song is a load of cobblers but it brought the expected reaction in the usual quarters.

I remember Harry Belafonte, and when I sing "Island in the sun" to myself, I always sing "in de sun" even though Harry always sang in perfect English. Should I rip my racist tongue out>

• Options
    chestnut said:

Deficit amnesia seems to have spread to debt.

People seem to have forgotten that the banks' debts have been nationalised.

When exactly are Lloyds, and especially RBS and the remnants of Northern Rock getting denationalised?

Lloyds a chunk of the shares have been sold. TSB has been IPO'ed separately. NRAM sold a substantial part of its portfolio and is making good progress in paying down its loan from the Treasury (we'll make a profit in absolute terms). RBS is, to be charitable, a "work in progress".
  • Options
    SocratesSocrates Posts: 10,322
    Ishmael_X said:

Ishmael_X said:

I don't think it's a silly voice. It's just supposed to be a Caribbean accent because it's a calypso song.

As LuckyGuy1983 says, the more problematic issue is that it's an awful song.
  • Options

Ishmael_X said:

Ishmael_X said:

got any dirt on Sting? bashing Sting is always good fun :)
    He does everything in a silly voice. And that's the least of his problems.

• Options
    Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 55,869
    Sean_F said:

TGOHF said:

Sean_F said:

Yorkcity said:

antifrank said:

Can you let me know your position, so I an avoid it like the plague.

Labour doesn't look as though it's heading for a win, next year.

Could be a disappointing night for everyone next May - Con stay static, LDs lose a few, Lab gain a few but lost some to the SNP , Kippers get a decent vote share but not many MPs and lose Roch and Strood back to Con. SNP and the pro Brit Ulster parties (if they do a pact) may be happy.

I think at this stage, I'd expect something like Con 34%, Lab 31%, UKIP 13%, Lib Dem 10%, Others 12%.

Not far off what I posted yesterday. I think (atm) Con 35%, Lab 30%, UKIP 12%, Lib Dem 12%, Others 11%.

I also think the Conservatives may make a small advance to c.320 seats. I'm not convinced they'll lose that many to Labour anymore, particularly once the campaign begins in earnest and the prospect of Ed as PM is staring floating voters in the face. So the gains from the Lib Dems might push them forwards.
  • Options
    So, £55 per diagnosis of dementia for GPs. Can't see that going wrong ...
  • Options
    Continued ... No, I think I will leave my racist tongue intact, and tell my silly brain not to take offence at such trivia. But then I don't ride on the offence bus looking out for things to attack.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    antifrank said:

Alistair said:

Quincel said:

Quite how the LDs are expecting to hold a load of majorities of 4-5k with a vote share of 1/3rd their 2010 performance I'm yet to understand.

Because the LD vote is going to melt in seats they are not competitive in which will apocalypse their vote share but not necessarily their seat count.
    Just how far do you think it's going to melt in seats where they are not competitive?
    Places like Glasgow North and North West are going to see crushing drops for LDs. Basically University areas where a lot of first time student voters tried a little Lib Dem and didn't like the resultant taste.
  • Options
    Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 55,869
    Sean_F said:

Got a view on Hendon? (Note: haven't researched it)
  • Options
    SimonStClareSimonStClare Posts: 7,976

Tra-la-lee ...

Disgraceful – I’ve not been so outraged since Julie Andrews sang the 'Sound of Music' – hah, an Austrian nun indeed….!
  • Options
    PongPong Posts: 4,693
    Thanks Mike, Labour should not be underestimated.

I was scraping the overround bot on Betfair for a while, picking up Labour at odds over 85/1 - i'll be about £2k up on a labour win, not that I expect it to happen.

The current 54/1 is reasonable value.
  • Options

Tra-la-lee ...

Disgraceful – I’ve not been so outraged since Julie Andrews sang the 'Sound of Music' – hah, an Austrian nun indeed….!
    What accent was OGH thinking in when he wrote the headline for this thread?

Kick ass?? Thought police could have him for that
  • Options
    PongPong Posts: 4,693
    dr_spyn said:

new whitehall farce.

It's in everyones interest to kick this as far down the road as possible.

The story won't go away though.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,411
    edited October 2014
    So, Mike Reid has been forced to withdraw his parody tune, following the likes of the BBC stoking the faux outrage, not over it being a terrible tune, but supposedly racist.

However, the BBC still happy to flog this equally terrible comedy in their shop, where Matt Lucas blacks up and puts on a Caribbean accent. Crimes against comedy yes, but racist?

http://www.bbcshop.com/page/search?q=come+fly+with+me
  • Options

Sean_F said:

Got a view on Hendon? (Note: haven't researched it)

My view on Hendon is that it is a place to be avoided. You could die of boredom there.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

Is Farage going to apologise for pushing it to be #1?
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,170
    Alistair said:

antifrank said:

Alistair said:

Quincel said:

Just how far do you think it's going to melt in seats where they are not competitive?
    Places like Glasgow North and North West are going to see crushing drops for LDs. Basically University areas where a lot of first time student voters tried a little Lib Dem and didn't like the resultant taste.
    First time student voters in 2010 have moved on now. Even in Scotland. Junior lecturers, research staff still around maybe, but surely not so significant.
  • Options

Tra-la-lee ...

Dat Julie Andrews, de singin' nun
    Bad Nazis wanted to stop her fun
    Now dem Nazis rule de E-U
    Dat ain't no fun for me or for you

• Options

I think Mike Reid and Ukip have achieved their objective - making the objectors look daft.

And another dose of publicity.
  • Options
    I'll stop now.
  • Options
    isam said:

Tra-la-lee ...

What accent was OGH thinking in when he wrote the headline for this thread?

Kick ass?? Thought police could have him for that
    Will upset the animal lovers.

• Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,053
    Good morning, everyone.

Only made it to the end of the first line of the song. Bloody awful assault on the ears.
This discussion has been closed.