Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Marf’s afternoon cartoon – “Ukip’s Map of the World”

SystemSystem Posts: 11,694
edited October 2014 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Marf’s afternoon cartoon – “Ukip’s Map of the World”

politicalbetting.com is proudly powered by WordPress
with "Neat!" theme. Entries (RSS) and Comments (RSS).

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    Brilliant Marf. One of your best.

I want a copy.
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    I can see this is going to be a lively thread.

But shouldn't the arrows be pointing the other way over the continent, bedecked in the union flag and jabbing back and forth?
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453

I want a copy.

You're gonna get some letters about this...
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,386
    antifrank said:

But shouldn't the arrows be pointing the other way over the continent, bedecked in the union flag and jabbing back and forth?

Who do you think you are kidding?

;)
  • Options
    TheWatcherTheWatcher Posts: 5,262
    TOPPING said:

antifrank said:

;)
    Don't panic Mr Farage!
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

I want a copy.

Why?

Kippers keep on telling us they don't believe in political correctness and people should be able to say (and draw) what they think.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

I want a copy.

In green ink.
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,288
    if you think we're on the run...
  • Options

TOPPING said:

antifrank said:

;)
    Don't panic Mr Farage!
    I had Farage more as You Stupid Boy
  • Options

Scott_P said:

I want a copy.

Why?

Kippers keep on telling us they don't believe in political correctness and people should be able to say (and draw) what they think.
    I agree, as a Kipper i find that very funny.

Hopefully though there will be no double standards, such as isam getting banned for nothing at all.

Golden rule in life, if you can't take it don't dish it out.

We'll soon see how that applies here.
  • Options
    dugarbandierdugarbandier Posts: 2,596
    SeanT said:

OK, that's convinced me.

I'm voting UKIP.

because you secretly want to wake up with ed
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,957
    I'm going to vote UKIP, I'll tell my parents I voted Tory and my friends I voted Lib Dem :O)
  • Options
    audreyanneaudreyanne Posts: 1,376
    HAHA I love this Marf!!!

Fab :)
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,867

Scott_P said:

I want a copy.

Why?

Actually, I think it's quite amusing.

• Options
    SeanT said:

OK, that's convinced me.

I'm voting UKIP.

Awww bless.

Is that as definitive as your post saying No had lost ?
  • Options
    taffystaffys Posts: 9,753
    Conservatives stepping up the rhetoric on NHS.

Hunt claims for every English patient admitted for treatment in Wales five Welsh patients admitted for treatment in England.

Hospitals on England Wales border 'under intolerable pressure' and England should be compensated by Wales!!

This is getting serious.
  • Options
    Many a true word is drawn in jest.
  • Options
    SimonStClareSimonStClare Posts: 7,976
    Superb Marf – you have quite excelled yourself.

It reminded me a bit of the 80’s Sloane Ranger’s handbook Map of UK – great chunks of England left completely blank until you reached Dumfriesshire, with the odd nod, to places like York.
  • Options
    Whn did Clacton move to Bury St Edmunds though :) ?
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,759
  • Options

SeanT said:

OK, that's convinced me.

I'm voting UKIP.

Awww bless.

I was going to post something similar but thought I'd already baited Sean once about changing his mind on the IndyRef result.

Don't be a berk Sean. You're a Conservative. When winter turns spring and there's a royal baby to coo over you'll be back along with the rest of the red top readers.
  • Options
    PlatoPlato Posts: 15,724
    If you can't poke fun at yourself - then one is lost. IIRC the SNP failed dismally at The Econmist's own cartoon of SkintLand...
    THE latest edition of The Economist, in which post-independent Scotland is labelled “Skintland”, has provoked an angry backlash with the First Minister Alex Salmond claiming that the parody “insults every single community north of the Border”.

The front page of the news magazine has mocked up a map of Scotland with place names replaced by puns that suggest poverty, financial incompetence and economic chaos – including “Glasgone”, “Edinborrow”, the “Loanlands” and the “Shutland Islands” – under the headline “It’ll Cost You”.

The accompanying article warns that if Scots vote for independence they “could end up as one of Europe’s vulnerable, marginal economies”, possibly faring as badly as crisis-torn Greece.

Yesterday, Mr Salmond claimed The Economist will “rue the day” that it published the map. He did not comment on an illustration of him wearing a crown, dressed in robes and holding an empty petrol pump.
    *they'll rue the day*
  • Options

Superb Marf – you have quite excelled yourself.

It reminded me a bit of the 80’s Sloane Ranger’s handbook Map of UK – great chunks of England left completely blank until you reached Dumfriesshire, with the odd nod, to places like York.

Good catch.

• Options
    We need a series with Conservative, Labour, Lib Dem and Green Maps of the World in future weeks. Some obvious items.
  • Options
    AnorakAnorak Posts: 6,621
    Not normally a Marf fan - sorry, but that's the way it is - but this one really is splendid.

All it's missing is a gay storm over the Atlatic...
  • Options
    AnorakAnorak Posts: 6,621

SeanT said:

OK, that's convinced me.

I'm voting UKIP.

Awww bless.

I was going to post something similar but thought I'd already baited Sean once about changing his mind on the IndyRef result.

Don't be a berk Sean. You're a Conservative. When winter turns spring and there's a royal baby to coo over you'll be back along with the rest of the red top readers.
    I'm not especially convinced he's being serious.
  • Options
    volcanopetevolcanopete Posts: 2,078
    I assume it's correct to say this map is part of a flat earth as round ones only came in via the EU.
  • Options
    Very good indeed. I have to say that, whilst I like her style I sometimes don't get Marf's cartoons as I feel they are a little obvious and lack satirical bite. This one is excellent.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,386
  • Options

SeanT said:

OK, that's convinced me.

I'm voting UKIP.

Awww bless.

Actually SeanT is a 2010 Lib Dem.

Wait until I tell him leaving the EU will cause a London house price crash.
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    Best Marf ever.
  • Options

Very good indeed. I have to say that, whilst I like her style I sometimes don't get Marf's cartoons as I feel they are a little obvious and lack satirical bite. This one is excellent.

The one I like best is the one I have in my office "The Sleep of Reason."
  • Options
    MarkHopkinsMarkHopkins Posts: 5,584

There's no wandering band of calypso singers?

• Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,959
    edited October 2014
    TOPPING said:
    Wow. Spoilsport alert!

It's aimed at the stereotype of people like me, and even I kept schtum out of politeness!
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    Anorak said:

Not normally a Marf fan - sorry, but that's the way it is - but this one really is splendid.

I take full responsibility for today's weather troubles.
  • Options
    They're off learning the lyrics to the Banana Boat Song?

Now if Harry Belafonte voted Kipper...

There's no wandering band of calypso singers?

• Options
    Looking forward to seeing everyone again in a month's time at Dirty Dick's (haven't been to a PB meet in nearly 18 months!).

BTW great cartoon Marf!
  • Options
    antifrank said:

Anorak said:

I take full responsibility for today's weather troubles.
    Forgot to mention this, antifrank:

On Sunday, gave up my seat on the Tube to a lady carrying a baby :)
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    SeanT said:

Anorak said:

SeanT said:

OK, that's convinced me.

I'm voting UKIP.

Awww bless.

Well, quite.

I also think there is an error in the map (though it is Marf's best cartoon for a long time). Do UKIP disapprove of the Channel Islands?

I'd imagine somewhere like Jersey or Sark is a UKIP paradise - still British, yet outside the EU, happy under the crown while avoiding foreign policy nastiness, and full of slightly old fashioned people paying low taxes and enjoying the odd bit of wife swapping.
    Brecqhou & Sark, the home of your Telegraph paymasters.
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,362
    edited October 2014
    Pulpstar said:

Whn did Clacton move to Bury St Edmunds though :) ?

Essex Boyz Rule! :)
  • Options

Looking forward to seeing everyone again in a month's time at Dirty Dick's (haven't been to a PB meet in nearly 18 months!).

BTW great cartoon Marf!

Yay. I should be there too.

Just need to buy some new trainers for the occasion
  • Options

BTW great cartoon Marf!

I'll be there.

Better get a new frock.
  • Options
    logical_songlogical_song Posts: 9,723
    More Marf (next time don't hold back!)
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

I'm going to vote UKIP, I'll tell my parents I voted Tory and my friends I voted Lib Dem :O)

I voted UKIP at the Euros.

:)
  • Options
    As tim used to say:

The PB Tories are never wrong
    The PB Tories always learn

(EDIT: or was that the other way round?)
  • Options

BTW great cartoon Marf!

You need some Tory Blue ones this time :)
  • Options
    SocratesSocrates Posts: 10,322
    SeanT said:

SeanT said:

OK, that's convinced me.

I'm voting UKIP.

Awww bless.

It is indeed one of the reasons I am less sceptic than I was. Sheer personal greed. EU immigration is good for London property owners.

Speaking of which the flats next door to me are now being individually priced.

This one-bedder is £810,000.

http://search.knightfrank.co.uk/krd143744

This two bed - RIGHT next door to me, if any pb-ers want to borrow a cup of sugar - is £1.25m

http://search.knightfrank.co.uk/krd143750

It'll be interesting to see if they achieve these insane prices. Interesting, and gratifying.
    Rising house prices is only a good thing if you're not planning to trade up in the near future. If you do want to sell your flat and buy a bigger place in London, they're bad news.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

SeanT said:

OK, that's convinced me.

I'm voting UKIP.

Awww bless.

It is indeed one of the reasons I am less sceptic than I was. Sheer personal greed. EU immigration is good for London property owners.

This two bed - RIGHT next door to me, if any pb-ers want to borrow a cup of sugar - is £1.25m

It'll be interesting to see if they achieve these insane prices. Interesting, and gratifying.
    Come live next door to me.

You can get a six bedroomed house for 975k.

Bonus you get to live in God's own country

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/svr/1119#/new-homes-for-sale/property-43471711.html
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    @SamCoatesTimes: Here is the full statement by the British Board of Deputies on UKIP's new EP partner - very powerful. http://t.co/kESjaAaFky
  • Options

BTW great cartoon Marf!

I'll be there.

Better get a new frock.
    Look forward to seeing it :)
  • Options

BTW great cartoon Marf!

I've just booked myself a bed to sleep in
  • Options

Sunil Prasannan ‏@Sunil_P2 · Oct 17
    The rise of #UKIP part 1: vote shares at GB Westminster by-elections since GE 2010 - won Clacton, runners-up 8 times
    https://twitter.com/Sunil_P2/status/523094299005956097

Sunil Prasannan ‏@Sunil_P2 · Oct 17
    The rise of #UKIP part 2: increase in UKIP vote-share at Westminster by-elections v. share at GE 2010 for each seat:
    https://twitter.com/Sunil_P2/status/523095042186289152
  • Options
    SeanT said:

SeanT said:

OK, that's convinced me.

I'm voting UKIP.

Awww bless.

Camden, overlooking a busy road, and the railway? No thanks.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

@SamCoatesTimes: Here is the full statement by the British Board of Deputies on UKIP's new EP partner - very powerful. http://t.co/kESjaAaFky

Dem beardy Jews are causin' a stink
    But dey can't tell us what to tink
    It's time to fight back, it's our country too
    We'll take no lesson off no Jew

To a fun-filled calypso beat, of course.

• Options
    john_zimsjohn_zims Posts: 3,399
    @Anorak

'All it's missing is a gay storm over the Atlatic...'

And a taxi driver in a uniform.
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,362
    edited October 2014
    SeanT said:

SeanT said:

SeanT said:

OK, that's convinced me.

I'm voting UKIP.

Awww bless.

And yet these prices are achieved. And more. This house five doors down from me sold for twelve million a few months back. Twelve. Million. Pounds.

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-41988146.html

Though, to be fair, it does have three bedrooms and a patio.
    Bloody foreigners, raising our house prices :)
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    For all the talk of population growth in this country.

The fastest growing country in "west" Europe is ... Turkey.

The UK (dark blue line on chart) is the only fourth biggest in this collection, we used to be second.

(Shows population growth from 1960 to today).
  • Options

Scott_P said:

Shalom
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

Perhaps a new Kipper anthem is required - something from Fiddler on the Roof in a faux Bavarian accent ?
  • Options
    JohnOJohnO Posts: 4,215
    SeanT said:

Anorak said:

SeanT said:

OK, that's convinced me.

I'm voting UKIP.

Awww bless.

Well, quite.

I also think there is an error in the map (though it is Marf's best cartoon for a long time). Do UKIP disapprove of the Channel Islands?

I'd imagine somewhere like Jersey or Sark is a UKIP paradise - still British, yet outside the EU, happy under the crown while avoiding foreign policy nastiness, and full of slightly old fashioned people paying low taxes and enjoying the odd bit of wife swapping.
    Sark? Ah yes, these brave islanders resisting the depredations of your twin paymasters.
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,883
    Todays BJESUS

21.10.14 LAB 327 (328) CON 265(264) LD 33(33) UKIP 1(1) Others 24 (Ed is crap is PM)
    Last weeks BJESUS in brackets
    BJESUS (Big John Election Service Uniform Swing)
    Using current polling adjusted for 198 days left to go factor and using UKPR standard swingometer
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,883
    Every BJESUS

17.6.14 LAB 330 CON 263 LD 33 UKIP 0 Others 24 (Ed is crap is PM)
    24.6.14 LAB 330 CON 263 LD 33 UKIP 0 Others 24 (Ed is crap is PM)
    1.7.14 LAB 329(330) CON 268 (263) LD 29(33) UKIP 0(0) Others 24(24) (Ed is crap is PM)
    8.7.14 LAB 330 (329) CON 264(268) LD 32(29) UKIP 0(0) Others 24 (Ed is crap is PM)
    15.7.14 LAB 329 (330) CON 264(264) LD 33(32) UKIP 0(0) Others 24 (Ed is crap is PM)
    22.7.14 LAB 331 (329) CON 261(264) LD 34(33) UKIP 0(0) Others 24 (Ed is crap is PM)
    29.7.14 LAB 332 (331) CON 260(261) LD 34(34) UKIP 0(0) Others 24 (Ed is crap is PM)
    5.8.14 LAB 330(332) CON 262(260) LD 34(34 UKIP0(0) Others 24 (Ed is Crap is PM)
    12.8.14 LAB 332 (330) CON 260(262) LD 34(34) UKIP 0(0) Others 24 (Ed is crap is PM)
    18.8.14 LAB 331(332) CON 261(260) LD 34(34) UKIP0(0) Others 24 Ed is crap is PM
    26.8.14 LAB 333(331) CON 259(261)LD(34)UKIP 0(0) Others 24 Ed is crap is PM
    2.9.14 LAB331(333) CON261(259) LD24(34) Others24 (24) Ed is crap is PM
    9.9.14 LAB332(331) CON260(261) LD34(34) Others24 (24) Ed is crap is PM
    16.9.14 LAB 331(332) CON 262(260) LD 33(34) UKIP0(0) Others 24 Ed is crap is PM
    23.9.14 LAB 334 (331) CON 260(262) LD 32(33) UKIP 0(0) Others 24 (Ed is crap is PM)
    30.9.14 LAB 334 (334) CON 260(260) LD 32(32) UKIP 0(0) Others 24 (Ed is crap is PM)
    7.10.14 LAB 325 (334) CON 269(260) LD 31(32) UKIP 1(0) Others 24 (Ed is crap is PM)
    14.10.14 LAB 328 (325) CON 264(269) LD 33(31) UKIP 1(1) Others 24 (Ed is crap is PM)
    21.10.14 LAB 327 (328) CON 265(264) LD 33(33) UKIP 1(1) Others 24 (Ed is crap is PM)
  • Options
    OblitusSumMeOblitusSumMe Posts: 9,143
    SeanT said:

SeanT said:

SeanT said:

OK, that's convinced me.

I'm voting UKIP.

Awww bless.

And yet these prices are achieved. And more. This house five doors down from me sold for twelve million a few months back. Twelve. Million. Pounds.

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-41988146.html

Though, to be fair, it does have three bedrooms and a patio.
    It's nearly 10,000 sq ft. Describing it as a 3-bedder is rather underselling it somewhat...
  • Options

SeanT said:

SeanT said:

OK, that's convinced me.

I'm voting UKIP.

Awww bless.

With Sean on this. I've lived in Camden and it's fab. I still love the street food sitting on the lambrettas by the Lock.

If Labour get in what on earth is going to happen to the property prices though? Their Mansion Tax is virtually a London tax. One of the most stupidly ill-conceived policies in electoral history, reminiscent of the 1983 manifesto. I mean can you imagine the north London journos, of whom Sean is now a member, dancing with joy about it? Blair understood many things, and one of them was not to pee-off important sections of the media.

• Options
    And here's Nigel's new Polish friend making a joke

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-29706994
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

Scott_P said:

Perhaps a new Kipper anthem is required - something from Fiddler on the Roof in a faux Bavarian accent ?

Putting the Nazism and homophobia to one side for a moment, I rather like the idea of UKIP relying on a Pole to keep them in taxpayers' cash.

• Options

Todays BJESUS

Last weeks BJESUS in brackets
    BJESUS (Big John Election Service Uniform Swing)
    Using current polling adjusted for 198 days left to go factor and using UKPR standard swingometer

Ladbrokes offering 10/11 for Labour to get over 305.5 seats BJO - that must be free money if you trust your methodology.
  • Options
    I think @SeanT mentioned yesterday that he lives next door to a development that was initially intended to include several affordable properties, but now that part of the deal seems to have been kyboshed.

Whether this is true or not, the gentrification of Stratford is resulting in social housing residents from that area, where over 40% of people don't speak English as a first language, being re housed in new projects in Romford and now Harold Wood

Probably why Boris ignored these people that petitioned him 3 years ago

http://www.romfordrecorder.co.uk/news/boris_snub_is_such_an_insult_claims_harold_wood_residents_1_778766

This pub is in the road opposite the new housing estate is built

http://www.conservativehome.com/thetorydiary/2014/05/ukip-thrives-because-the-man-in-the-pub-feels-it-will-not-be-cowed-into-silence.html

• Options

TGOHF said:

Scott_P said:

Putting the Nazism and homophobia to one side for a moment, I rather like the idea of UKIP relying on a Pole to keep them in taxpayers' cash.

Nige loves Poles - as long as they don't come over here.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

Socrates said:

SeanT said:

SeanT said:

OK, that's convinced me.

I'm voting UKIP.

Awww bless.

Rising house prices is only a good thing if you're not planning to trade up in the near future. If you do want to sell your flat and buy a bigger place in London, they're bad news.
    I'm not planning to trade up. I am rather content where I am, I don't want anything bigger as it is harder to maintain and I am abroad for a third of the year.

I can walk into the West End (through Regent's Park) in 20 minutes. I can be in sketchy but funky Camden (and the Tube) in 3 minutes - if I walk downhill. If I walk the other way, I can be in leafy, pretentious Primrose Hill in two minutes, admiring the yummy mummies.

And now we have a Waitrose. My life is complete. And my evolution into a bourgeois fool is concluded.

Though I wouldn't mind owning a little villa near Sagres, Portugal.

If you like funky (edgy, dogs on string,muggings) Camden so much, why are you always going on about Primrose Hill?
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,997
    edited October 2014
    Good afternoon, everyone.

Mr. T, if I were you, I'd sell up and enjoy the security of a money mountain whilst buying a very nice place in a part of the country that isn't extortionately expensive.

But then, I'm a cautious chap with no money so I suspect our approach to such things may be quite different.

Edited extra bit: ha, sleepy homophone(ish) typo there. Although it's true I have 'no man', I'm not really after one, whereas I would like to have more money.
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

TGOHF said:

Scott_P said:

Nige loves Poles - as long as they don't come over here.
    UKIP are doing rather well in the Polls :)

(oh you meant Poles!)
  • Options
    SeanT said:

Scott_P said:

We await the equivalent liberal outrage when it is revealed that the UK Greens, Plaid Cymru and the SNP are members of a European Party (the GEFA) co-chaired by an ex-communist revolutionary and self-confessed pedophile who has written of his "beautiful seduction" by a six year old girl - Daniel Cohn-Bendit.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daniel_Cohn-Bendit
    That's simply the nature of the EU Parliament. The rules require you to form pan-national coalitions with some dubious characters
  • Options
    And here's Nigel's new Polish friend making a joke

The twitterati, westminster bubble, Guardian, Ken Clarke tendency and other various worthies flying into a rage about this is only going to help UKIP.

Ditto UKIP's cr*p song.

Don't you get it? the voters want you to be angry, they want to ruffle feathers. They are loving this.
  • Options
    TomsToms Posts: 2,478
    These prompts to Marf, as given above for instance, NEVER seem to work for me. Not on Windows and not on FireFox. Just saying.
  • Options
    Mr Dancer - I was sad that you were a chap with no man and felt confident that Mr Antifrank might assist.

But then the edit.
  • Options

Good afternoon, everyone.

Mr. T, if I were you, I'd sell up and enjoy the security of a money mountain whilst buying a very nice place in a part of the country that isn't extortionately expensive.

But then, I'm a cautious chap with no money so I suspect our approach to such things may be quite different.

Edited extra bit: ha, sleepy homophone(ish) typo there. Although it's true I have 'no man', I'm not really after one, whereas I would like to have more money.

Where I live, you can buy a four bedroom house, with a big garden, surrounded by parks, for £350 k.

• Options
    MikeSmithsonMikeSmithson Posts: 7,382

In response to requests Marf will make available signed prints of the map for £50. Contact her on the link above

• Options
    One might even blame the Poles for voting for a party with such a leader, and ask why would we allow unrestricted immigration from such a place
  • Options

TGOHF said:

Scott_P said:

Could be worse - he could be Romanian :)
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

SeanT said:

Scott_P said:

We await the equivalent liberal outrage when it is revealed that the UK Greens, Plaid Cymru and the SNP are members of a European Party (the GEFA) co-chaired by an ex-communist revolutionary and self-confessed pedophile who has written of his "beautiful seduction" by a six year old girl - Daniel Cohn-Bendit.

That's simply the nature of the EU Parliament. The rules require you to form pan-national coalitions with some dubious characters
    The problem for UKIP unfortunately is that the voters say they are the most extreme party.

Shacking up with some real extremists isn't going to help shake that perception
  • Options
    ''The rules require you to form pan-national coalitions with some dubious characters''.

And the voters realise this. UKIP's opponents need to shut the f8ck up and get on with the politics.

• Options
    SocratesSocrates Posts: 10,322
    Sean_F said:

SeanT said:

Scott_P said:

But it does show the utter hypocrisy of the Guardian, the BBC and all the other groups that scream bloody murder when the Tories do it and UKIP do it.
  • Options
    isam said:

One might even blame the Poles for voting for a party with such a leader, and ask why would we allow unrestricted immigration from such a place

Just like the UK, the Poles elect fascists/racists.

The country that sent so many pilots to fight for this country shouldn't be judged on a handful of elected officials.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,997
    So, Isner lost (which surprised me) but Wozniacki just this minute won. So, that's green overall, with the Kvitova straight sets win over Radwanska bet to come to see whether it's a few pence or possibly some pounds in the black (well, green).

Mr. O, it's not quite the worst typo I've ever made, but it's a pretty weird one. I once wrote 'caught' instead of 'got', and recently, when redrafting had a line something like:
    She was such a western....

And I have no idea what 'western' was meant to be. It was clearly derogatory, but my intent eluded me utterly.
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    That reminds me of the Cat Haiku we play on Twitter. Lots of fun to be had in a Nighthawks with Kipper Kalypso...

Scott_P said:

• Options
    SeanT said:

Scott_P said:

Not sure the British Board of Deputies can be described as liberal. But I imagine they are outraged because the MEP in question is a holocaust denier.

• Options
    SeanT said:

The mansion tax is not only economically idiotic, legally dubious, and exceptionally hard to police - it is also plain bad politics, to my mind.

The amount raised will be negligible, the people impressed will be hardcore Labour voters anyway (and they won't be THAT impressed), meanwhile it will, as you say, alienate hugely important donors and commentators. Plus it will be a source of anxiety to millions of London, and SE English home-owners - who will worry that once a tax is established, it will inevitably expand in its reach, to take more money (as happens with nearly all taxes over time).

Labour say the threshold is £2m now. How do we know it won't fall to £1m as the deficit proves stubbornly difficult to shift? Or £500,000?

The mansion tax is a big strategic error for very little tactical gain, which is probably why even the Lib Dems abandoned it.

Nul points for E Miliband.

I can only assume that Miliband/Labour are focus grouping variations of...

We want to tax [bad people] to pay for [good thing].

Then any combinations that get positives (no matter how asinine when thought about for longer) get put forward as policy.

It really seems that crazy.

• Options
    ItajaiItajai Posts: 721
    SeanT said:

Scott_P said:

You´re better off waiting for the second coming. Or Godot.
  • Options
    Toms said:

These prompts to Marf, as given above for instance, NEVER seem to work for me. Not on Windows and not on FireFox. Just saying.

If need be I can contact her for you - arklebar@gmail.com

• Options

Sean_F said:

SeanT said:

Scott_P said:

The problem for UKIP unfortunately is that the voters say they are the most extreme party.

The voters don't really care who British parties caucus with in the EU Parliament.
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,759

Sean_F said:

SeanT said:

Scott_P said:

Oh bollocks we're having a Latvian homophobes thread, where's tim ?
  • Options
    Socrates said:

Sean_F said:

SeanT said:

Scott_P said:

But it does show the utter hypocrisy of the Guardian, the BBC and all the other groups that scream bloody murder when the Tories do it and UKIP do it.
    In the last EU Parliament, the Lib Dems were caucusing with Fianna Fail, Western Europe's most corrupt political party.

• Options

Sean_F said:

SeanT said:

Scott_P said:

"The Latvian homophobes are always wrong
    The Latvian homophobes never learn"
  • Options
    Anecdotal: My 2010 Lib Dem colleague will be voting UKIP in the forthcoming PCC by-elcection.
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,288
    edited October 2014

Sean_F said:

SeanT said:

Scott_P said:

You left out the bit about black Hugo Boss uniforms/suits with lightning flashes on the lapels.

• Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    edited October 2014
    Socrates said:

Sean_F said:

SeanT said:

Scott_P said:

Lets not forget when certain media outlets and posters went on and on and on and on and on about Tories grouping have Latvian homophones, while turning a blind eye to Labour's partnership with Turkey terrorists.

If you look closely at all the groupings, there are by what we deem our normal acceptable standards in UK society, so fairly unpalatable types across the board from left to right in the EU parliament.

Also, strange how the likes of the BBC / Guardian won't hear a bad word against the EU, when it actually gives a voice to some individuals whose world outlook they find totally abhorrent. On the other hand, the likes of UKIP or Tories who don't want to be in Europe, get smeared with little englander / racist / xenophobe.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

Socrates said:

Sean_F said:

SeanT said:

Scott_P said:

In the last EU Parliament, the Lib Dems were caucusing with Fianna Fail, Western Europe's most corrupt political party.

More corrupt than Berlusconi's lot ?
  • Options

Sean_F said:

SeanT said:

Scott_P said:

Nostalgia's not what it used to be.
  • Options

EU citizens should have the right to live and work in the UK:
    36% Yes, 46% No.

British citizens should have the right to live and work in the EU:
    52% Yes, 26% No.

These results from ComRes were presented by the Guardian Data Editor Alberto Nardelli

This discussion has been closed.