Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The latest round of Lord Ashcroft’s marginals’ polling find

Comments

• Options
    Norm said:

Norm said:

Norm said:

Ed M in "power" on a national 33% vote share here we come. Not sure how he can morally represent the people with a possible Con plus Ukip vote share of around 50% and being propped up by Scot Lab MPs.

There is a part of me that thinks that this may be a good election for the Tories to lose and that 5 years of Ed could kill Labour for ever.

There is another part of me that thinks that the reasons why that may be the case won't make it worth the benefit.

There's also a third part that's aware that people who wish to lose elections for tactical reasons usually have cause to rue that desire later.
    Indeed - as you imply 5 years of Ed may also sink this country for ever. It might also make calling an EU referendum after 2020 very difficult as the UK would not look an attractive proposition for inward investment and may need to hold on to nanny EU's coat tails.
    To believe the country might be sunk for ever suggests you have little belief in the British people. I do believe in them. Miliband will likely be a setback but no miserable Labour misfit is capable of breaking the British people.

That Tories seem to believe this just demonstrates how much Labour has undermined them and sent them to a very bad place psychologically. One might diagnose it as a type of political Stockholm syndrome,
    Well the previous Labour administration came close to doing that so you have to excuse my concerns. I also have confidence in the British people but tend to feel the quirks in the electoral system will not lead to the outcome you want. If against my expectations Labour do well they will be re-elected in 2020 with the right remaining split and no EU referendum being available. If they do badly the scenario I describe before comes into play.
    Only if the situation remains the same. If Miliband wins Cameron is gone. Things will no longer be the same.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758

Charles said:

isam said:

isam said:

RobD said:

" You can't unilaterally un-ratify a treaty which 26 other countries have ratified and which restructures the EU"

Well, you can by leaving the EU. I suppose that is UKIPs argument.

Indeed, and if there is a Conservative government they will be able to argue for leaving the EU when the referendum is held. If there isn't a Conservative government, we'll be stuck where we are.
    With a Tory government pretending to get concessions from the EU and then holding a referendum it will probably get an "in" vote. I'm sure the EU will play ball with them to get the right result and then revert to type afterwards.

If Labour get in and are as big a disaster as we're all expecting then UKIP will gain a lot of support for 2020 allowing them to demand when the referendum is held and be in a much stronger position to win it.
    Farage has not yet been able to hold his MEPs together from one set of EC elections to the next. If Farage can do this......
    ...Cameron do better?
    How my MPs has he lost since the last election?
    Farage only has to keep a dozen or so on board. Never managed it in 3 previous groups of MEPs. 300 is a much much bigger number than 12. UKIP currently has 24.
    haha lighten up!

You made the criticism before remembering the UKIP defections, it was an open goal

This whole thing about UKIP losing MEP's when its primary aim is to make all it's MEP's redundant has the potency of wet flatulence!
    Would you prefer the stat that UKIP has lost 50% of all MPs that it has every had?

(Don't think there is anyone other than Spink and Carswell?)
    or how about the one that the Tories have not won a majority for 22 years (and at this rate will likely not win a majority in the next 22 years either)

Now that window!
    We've been through a bad patch recently.

But these things come around. After all, we were in opposition from 1712-1762.

Come back to me in 30 years time and I might be getting a little twitchy ;-)
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,668

MEP grouping including UKIP collapses:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-29646414

"Collapses" is a bit dramatic for the withdrawal of a single MEP which takes the grouping below a technical threshold.
    It's the word used in the headline. What word do you think better sums up the situation?
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,157

One of these is Nuneaton, where the Labour candidate is 22yo....and looks about fifteen!

http://www.nuneaton-news.co.uk/Vicky-Fowler-Labour-parliamentary-candidate/story-20284837-detail/story.html
    She is tremendously lucky to have such a winnable seat at such a young age, every candidate I've ever known below the age of about 35 is normally given total no hoper seats !
    Mind you it is tricky to find winnable seats for the Conservatives in Coventry ^_~
  • Options
    BenM said:

And still the Outers are not supported by business.

Until that changes Tory attempts to leave the EU are doomed.

I thought doing what is good for big business at the expense of ordinary people was a bad thing?

Not that the EU has done much good for businesses in the PIIGS so far.
  • Options
    NormNorm Posts: 1,251

Norm said:

Norm said:

Norm said:

Ed M in "power" on a national 33% vote share here we come. Not sure how he can morally represent the people with a possible Con plus Ukip vote share of around 50% and being propped up by Scot Lab MPs.

There is a part of me that thinks that this may be a good election for the Tories to lose and that 5 years of Ed could kill Labour for ever.

There is another part of me that thinks that the reasons why that may be the case won't make it worth the benefit.

There's also a third part that's aware that people who wish to lose elections for tactical reasons usually have cause to rue that desire later.
    Indeed - as you imply 5 years of Ed may also sink this country for ever. It might also make calling an EU referendum after 2020 very difficult as the UK would not look an attractive proposition for inward investment and may need to hold on to nanny EU's coat tails.
    To believe the country might be sunk for ever suggests you have little belief in the British people. I do believe in them. Miliband will likely be a setback but no miserable Labour misfit is capable of breaking the British people.

That Tories seem to believe this just demonstrates how much Labour has undermined them and sent them to a very bad place psychologically. One might diagnose it as a type of political Stockholm syndrome,
    Well the previous Labour administration came close to doing that so you have to excuse my concerns. I also have confidence in the British people but tend to feel the quirks in the electoral system will not lead to the outcome you want. If against my expectations Labour do well they will be re-elected in 2020 with the right remaining split and no EU referendum being available. If they do badly the scenario I describe before comes into play.
    Only if the situation remains the same. If Miliband wins Cameron is gone. Things will no longer be the same.
    Ok so you have the scalp of Cameron so someone maybe BoJo takes over over. Is that person going to dismantle the Tory party? Are Ukip going to disband once a tough Eurosceptic becomes Tory leader? Of course not so the right will remain split.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 41,118
    Charles said:

isam said:

Charles said:

isam said:

Charles said:

isam said:

RobD said:

" You can't unilaterally un-ratify a treaty which 26 other countries have ratified and which restructures the EU"

Indeed, and if there is a Conservative government they will be able to argue for leaving the EU when the referendum is held. If there isn't a Conservative government, we'll be stuck where we are.
    With a Tory government pretending to get concessions from the EU and then holding a referendum it will probably get an "in" vote. I'm sure the EU will play ball with them to get the right result and then revert to type afterwards.

If Labour get in and are as big a disaster as we're all expecting then UKIP will gain a lot of support for 2020 allowing them to demand when the referendum is held and be in a much stronger position to win it.
    Farage has not yet been able to hold his MEPs together from one set of EC elections to the next. If Farage can do this......
    ...Cameron can do better?

Less than 1%.

What percentage of MEPs has Farage lost in the last 5 years?

edit: Carswell, Reckless & Mensch. Considered Newark as a replacement rather than a loss.
    Brilliant!

Lighten up you cant twist everything x
    Not twisting anything. Just calling you out on your BS... :)
    God you are a bore!

As if a UKIPper isn't going to cite Cameron failing to keep his MPs from defecting when people criticise Farage for some Latvian MEP leaving a group!

Sooooo touchy

Smiley face insert!!! all in light heart:):):)
    Just responding to your criticism...

I just hate the misuse of statistics... :)

(edit: any my view on the Latvian Question is - if the comments on here are true - it's a shabby and pathetic trick by the EPP. If you disagree with a group argue with them. Don't try to close them down through procedural games)
    The Wayward Latvian Question?
  • Options

One of these is Nuneaton, where the Labour candidate is 22yo....and looks about fifteen!

http://www.nuneaton-news.co.uk/Vicky-Fowler-Labour-parliamentary-candidate/story-20284837-detail/story.html

I can't help thinking that a 22 year old has better things to do than to become a backbench MP. If she loses she'll come to think of it as a great mercy.

• Options
    Pulpstar said:

She is tremendously lucky to have such a winnable seat at such a young age, every candidate I've ever known below the age of about 35 is normally given total no hoper seats !
    Mind you it is tricky to find winnable seats for the Conservatives in Coventry ^_~
    Do you think the age thing will make a difference?

My intuition tells me it matters little one way or the other, but I don't know what the precedents are. She's certainly got a tough fight on her hands.
  • Options
    isam said:

Charles said:

Just responding to your criticism...

I just hate the misuse of statistics... :)

(edit: any my view on the Latvian Question is - if the comments on here are true - it's a shabby and pathetic trick by the EPP. If you disagree with a group argue with them. Don't try to close them down through procedural games)

The Wayward Latvian Question?
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,846
    Charles said:

Charles said:

isam said:

isam said:

RobD said:

...Cameron do better?
    Farage only has to keep a dozen or so on board. Never managed it in 3 previous groups of MEPs. 300 is a much much bigger number than 12. UKIP currently has 24.
    haha lighten up!

You made the criticism before remembering the UKIP defections, it was an open goal

This whole thing about UKIP losing MEP's when its primary aim is to make all it's MEP's redundant has the potency of wet flatulence!
    Would you prefer the stat that UKIP has lost 50% of all MPs that it has every had?

(Don't think there is anyone other than Spink and Carswell?)
    or how about the one that the Tories have not won a majority for 22 years (and at this rate will likely not win a majority in the next 22 years either)

Now that window!

Good point we might also have a better idea of the success or otherwise of the French Revolution by then.
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    So we're getting kippers complaining about defections?

Oh, the irony...
  • Options

'Ever' is a long time, but having lived through a decade and a half of steady national decline from the mid-sixties, which then required drastic and painful action to correct when reality was finally faced, I for one have no desire for a repeat.

And who knows - this time around, there might not be another Maggie to rescue us even in that timescale - it was touch and go last time.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,129
    Good afternoon, everyone.

I wonder how Theresa May got on at school, when it came to English:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-29642607

Apparently, we need a haystack (of data) if we are to search for a needle.

Wouldn't it be better to have a tiny amount of hay? Then you could find the needle more easily.

I appreciate searching through data is qualitatively different to searching through physical objects, but her use of language is daft.
  • Options
    Charles said:

As an aside, this is quite a good explanation of why my father's family switched our support to the Tories (my mother's family continued to be starry-eyed lefties until the 1880s)

http://repository.upenn.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=1011&context=phr

• Options

Pulpstar said:

My intuition tells me it matters little one way or the other, but I don't know what the precedents are. She's certainly got a tough fight on her hands.
    No - people who attend hustings and so forth are far more politically interested than the general population. I don't think it matters who the candidate is if you aren't the incumbent.

Far more relevant is if the people of Nuneaton and Bedworth believe their MP (Marcus Jones) has been a good'un or not. Looking at Lord Ashcroft's tables it seems he doesn't really have a negative or positive personal vote.

So I don't think it affects her chances either way.
  • Options
    LennonLennon Posts: 1,753

Wouldn't it be better to have a tiny amount of hay? Then you could find the needle more easily.

I appreciate searching through data is qualitatively different to searching through physical objects, but her use of language is daft.

Indeed - I saw that quote as well and thought that it made her sound even more ridiculous than usual on this subject.
  • Options

Either that photo has caught her in a really bad light or the job of Home Sec is ageing her alot.
  • Options

It's not daft at all. If we knew which handful of hay held the needle, it would be easy to find it. But we don't. That is the whole point.
  • Options
    perdixperdix Posts: 1,806
    Norm said:

Norm said:

Norm said:

Norm said:

Ok so you have the scalp of Cameron so someone maybe BoJo takes over over. Is that person going to dismantle the Tory party? Are Ukip going to disband once a tough Eurosceptic becomes Tory leader? Of course not so the right will remain split.
    Farage's stated objective is to destroy the Conservative Party. That's why he is despised by many.

• Options
    LennonLennon Posts: 1,753
    Pulpstar said:

Either that photo has caught her in a really bad light or the job of Home Sec is ageing her alot.
    Somewhat more seriously - the one thing that really scared me from her appearance - the comments about 'spending so much time signing bugging warrants etc.' along with 'the number [I] refuse to sign is very very small' - Maybe I'm being overly paranoid, but is that not a prelude to her saying that it's a waste of her time, and the security services should be able to decide for themselves?
  • Options
    JonathanDJonathanD Posts: 2,400
    edited October 2014

It's not daft at all. If we knew which handful of hay held the needle, it would be easy to find it. But we don't. That is the whole point.

The phrasing of needles and haystacks was originally from the Director of GCHQ, Iain Lobban, rather than being May's personal invention. Presumably if there was some easy way to identify the needle without even looking at any of the hay then that would be their preference.

Sir Iain attempted a metaphor. The internet, he said, was “an enormous hay field”, and his job was to “collect hay from those parts of the field which might be lucrative in terms of containing needles or fragments of needles”. The hay came from “only a tiny proportion of that field”, and he was “very, very well aware that within that haystack there’s going to be plenty of hay which is innocent”. He did not, he insisted, “intrude upon the surrounding hay”. He elaborated on this theme for quite some time. “I’m looking for needles, I’m looking for fragments of needles. I do not look at the hay.”
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/10434183/Sketch-Tinker-Tailor-Needle-Haystack.html
  • Options
    ItajaiItajai Posts: 721
    Norm said:

Pulpstar said:

Norm said:

Why add the Con and UKIP shares of the vote, you could add Labour + Alliance in the 80s and get them over 50%...

Except it's a terrible (And frankly patronising) piece of logic to do so - because Alliance voters were not Labour on holiday, and UKIP voters are choosing UKIP, not the Tories.

Labour + Lib Dems got over 50% in the last election. Didn't mean a thing.
    Pulpstar said:

Norm said:

Why add the Con and UKIP shares of the vote, you could add Labour + Alliance in the 80s and get them over 50%...

Except it's a terrible (And frankly patronising) piece of logic to do so - because Alliance voters were not Labour on holiday, and UKIP voters are choosing UKIP, not the Tories.

Labour + Lib Dems got over 50% in the last election. Didn't mean a thing.
    Don't see the parallel myself. Thatcher obtained a much higher vote share than Ed is likely to do. Ed could win a majority on just a third of the votes if the Tory/UKIP split is something like 30%/20% but will be sustained by Scot Lab MPs. I certainly wasn't making any point about Ukip voters being Tories on holiday but rather given those numbers Ed won't have a lot of moral authority to pursue a leftist agenda even if he was able to do (and financial constraints mean he won't)..

You delude yourself. The Labourites are so arrogant they won´t care to run roughshod over their opponents whatever their % vote is, so long as they can.
  • Options
    Mr. Nabavi, I don't think it's a just measure to try and get as much data as possible from everyone and claim that's necessary for national security. Some data acquisition will be necessary, but throwing out vast nets like enormous fishing vessels to trawl the cyber-ocean for every little fish means many dolphins as well as tuna will be caught.

Mind you, I'm even more concerned by the rampant overuse of RIPA.

As a young Conservative gentleman once said:
    Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.
  • Options
    Lennon said:

Pulpstar said:

Somewhat more seriously - the one thing that really scared me from her appearance - the comments about 'spending so much time signing bugging warrants etc.' along with 'the number [I] refuse to sign is very very small' - Maybe I'm being overly paranoid, but is that not a prelude to her saying that it's a waste of her time, and the security services should be able to decide for themselves?
    Mrs May replied: "I think there is - not a contract entered into - but an unwritten agreement between the individual and the state that the state is going to do everything they can to keep them safe and secure."
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 41,118
    Pulpstar said:

Lennon said:

Pulpstar said:

Mrs May replied: "I think there is - not a contract entered into - but an unwritten agreement between the individual and the state that the state is going to do everything they can to keep them safe and secure."
    Maybe some kind of "Social Contract" perhaps?
  • Options
    hucks67hucks67 Posts: 758
    The Tories have an image problem which I think they will find difficult to get rid of. This is why Miliband and Labour have talked about the Tories being the nasty party again. Labour will run a negative campaign on the Tories saying that they are the party that attack the vulnerable and don't mind people queuing up at food banks.

Cameron cannot keep using his disabled Son who died in defence saying he cares about the disabled. This does not work, as while people have empathy for Cameron as a parent, it is questionable whether he uses his experience to ensure the government has the right policies. Cameron and his wife are both multi-millionaires, so hardly parents raising disabled children in a council house, where they are getting penalised for using a spare room for storing disability aids.

If the Tories lose in 2015, they can point to mistakes they have made which make it easy for opponents to attack them. Some of the changes they have made don't save much money. The deficit is proving difficult to reduce because the tax take is down. If the Tories do surprisingly win in 2015, you can guarantee that they will increase VAT to 22.5%. People on low inccomes spend more of their income, so while they may benefit from a higher tax allowance, they will lose from any lost tax credits and increased VAT.
  • Options
    MarkHopkinsMarkHopkins Posts: 5,584

Islamic State 'being driven out of Syria's Kobane'

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-29647314

*waits for SeanT*
  • Options

Blimey.

If she worked for Congressman Charlie Wilson, she'd get the nickname Jailbait.
  • Options
    Mr. Hopkins, if that happens it'd be very good news indeed.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

No - people who attend hustings and so forth are far more politically interested than the general population. I don't think it matters who the candidate is if you aren't the incumbent.

Far more relevant is if the people of Nuneaton and Bedworth believe their MP (Marcus Jones) has been a good'un or not. Looking at Lord Ashcroft's tables it seems he doesn't really have a negative or positive personal vote.

So I don't think it affects her chances either way.

Thanks, Pulpy.

That makes Nuneaton TCTC in my book, and UKIP not really a factor.
  • Options
    HughHugh Posts: 955

'Ever' is a long time, but having lived through a decade and a half of steady national decline from the mid-sixties, which then required drastic and painful action to correct when reality was finally faced, I for one have no desire for a repeat.

And who knows - this time around, there might not be another Maggie to rescue us even in that timescale - it was touch and go last time.
    Haha oh, chicken licken.

Oddly, I too feel the next election is vital. This Government has done more to wreck the fabric of our society than any other apart from Thatcher.

Wasteful firesales of public assets, expensive ideological experiments with education, undermining our NHS to the point that it might not survive another Tory term. Undermining public services, from SureStart to libraries. Zero hour contracts, foodbanks, the cost of living crisis. Spiteful attacks on the most vulnerable and disabled from IDS and the "not worth it" mob.

Meanwhile the real problems we face, like the lack of secure employment, housing, the unaccountable power of moguls, monopolies and big business, and most importantly our rotten financial system that caused our economic problems, haven't been fixed and in some cases the situation has got far worse.

The country can't see the back of Cameron and his dreadful crew soon enough.
  • Options
    MarkHopkinsMarkHopkins Posts: 5,584
    edited October 2014
    @hucks67 and @Hugh‌

So no actual viable policies from Labour; just rants against the nasty Tories, and made-up claims about "putting up VAT".

This isn't the 90s. Miliband isn't Blair. And the UK really cannot afford another Labour gov at the moment.

Sorry chaps, try again.

• Options
    taffystaffys Posts: 9,753

Strange then, that labour has pledged to continue with most of the measures that have been passed by the coalition.

Even ed's most radical measures, energy freeze and mansion tax, are being quietly rowed away from or softened.
  • Options
    TheWatcherTheWatcher Posts: 5,262
    Pulpstar said:

22 years old with no obvious experience outside of a politics degree and local council. Precisely the kind of candidate that we don't need entering parliament.
  • Options
    EasterrossEasterross Posts: 1,915
    Afternoon all and interesting to see the swing in this snapshot is 5%. Wasn't it 6.5% in the last snapshot?
  • Options
    JonathanD said:

The phrasing of needles and haystacks was originally from the Director of GCHQ, Iain Lobban, rather than being May's personal invention. Presumably if there was some easy way to identify the needle without even looking at any of the hay then that would be their preference.

Sir Iain attempted a metaphor. The internet, he said, was “an enormous hay field”, and his job was to “collect hay from those parts of the field which might be lucrative in terms of containing needles or fragments of needles”. The hay came from “only a tiny proportion of that field”, and he was “very, very well aware that within that haystack there’s going to be plenty of hay which is innocent”. He did not, he insisted, “intrude upon the surrounding hay”. He elaborated on this theme for quite some time. “I’m looking for needles, I’m looking for fragments of needles. I do not look at the hay.”
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/10434183/Sketch-Tinker-Tailor-Needle-Haystack.html
    Mrs May obviously does not have Bernard Woolley working for her using that metaphor
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,294
    Labour has a leader problem, so the attack line for the day is uncaring baby eating Tories, using a 'bedroom tax' to make disabled parents poorer. Coming from a party which shunted off disabled delegates to one side to improve a photo opportunity of the deadwood at the top.

In other news this week, the unemployment total, inflation rates and the stock markets fell.
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    hucks67 said:

The Tories have an image problem which I think they will find difficult to get rid of. This is why Miliband and Labour have talked about the Tories being the nasty party again. Labour will run a negative campaign on the Tories saying that they are the party that attack the vulnerable and don't mind people queuing up at food banks.

Cameron cannot keep using his disabled Son who died in defence saying he cares about the disabled. This does not work, as while people have empathy for Cameron as a parent, it is questionable whether he uses his experience to ensure the government has the right policies. Cameron and his wife are both multi-millionaires, so hardly parents raising disabled children in a council house, where they are getting penalised for using a spare room for storing disability aids.

If the Tories lose in 2015, they can point to mistakes they have made which make it easy for opponents to attack them. Some of the changes they have made don't save much money. The deficit is proving difficult to reduce because the tax take is down. If the Tories do surprisingly win in 2015, you can guarantee that they will increase VAT to 22.5%. People on low inccomes spend more of their income, so while they may benefit from a higher tax allowance, they will lose from any lost tax credits and increased VAT.

'Vote for the Millionaire Milibands from exclusive Primrose Hill!' - Oh, wait...
  • Options
    OblitusSumMeOblitusSumMe Posts: 9,143
    edited October 2014

MEP grouping including UKIP collapses:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-29646414

"Collapses" is a bit dramatic for the withdrawal of a single MEP which takes the grouping below a technical threshold.
    It's the word used in the headline. What word do you think better sums up the situation?
    I read the article. I know it wasn't your choice of word. Although you appear to be now defending it(?)

I would say that the one word that describes what has happened to the UKIP grouping is "stymied".
  • Options
    Hugh said:

Haha oh, chicken licken.

Oddly, I too feel the next election is vital. This Government has done more to wreck the fabric of our society than any other apart from Thatcher.

Wasteful firesales of public assets, expensive ideological experiments with education, undermining our NHS to the point that it might not survive another Tory term. Undermining public services, from SureStart to libraries. Zero hour contracts, foodbanks, the cost of living crisis. Spiteful attacks on the most vulnerable and disabled from IDS and the "not worth it" mob.

Meanwhile the real problems we face, like the lack of secure employment, housing, the unaccountable power of moguls, monopolies and big business, and most importantly our rotten financial system that caused our economic problems, haven't been fixed and in some cases the situation has got far worse.

Well, as you know, I think this is the best government bar Maggie for half a century.

Most of what your say is pure unvarnished fantasy. The idea that there has been an 'undermining' of public services is ludicrous, and the suggestion there have been 'spiteful attacks on the most vulnerable' makes the Kippers look like models of sanity. The plain fact is that, despite the most dramatic pressure on the public finances in peacetime since at least the 1930s, public services have been maintained quite remarkably well - indeed there is no measurable deterioration; on most measures things have improved.

Still, even leaving aside all that, the idea that Ed Miliband, of all people on this earth, will actually be able to do better at at time when everyone agrees that, even in the most optimistic scenario, public spending will have to be cut considerably, is absolutely out with the fairies.

If you really do believe that - and I find it hard to believe that anyone really does - you've got a big, big shock coming.
  • Options
    woody662woody662 Posts: 255

Blimey.

What's going on with Labour candidates. Loads of them seem to be straight out of school and seemingly are still waiting for their balls to drop.
  • Options
    Oooh - Didn't notice that Jeremy Browne was standing down in Taunton Deane at the next GE.
    That has to make another Lib-Con coalition less likely I reckon.
  • Options
    SocratesSocrates Posts: 10,322
    Theresa May's comment that innocent people's data is being harvested and searched without their permission is fine because there's an "unwritten agreement" is positively Orwellian. Is this what our politicians think of the consent of the governed these days?
  • Options
    NormNorm Posts: 1,251
    perdix said:

Norm said:

Norm said:

Norm said:

Norm said:

/blockquote>

Farage's stated objective is to destroy the Conservative Party. That's why he is despised by many.

Presumably by splitting the party with half joining Ukip and the other half joining up with Orange Booker Lib Dems perhaps. Oh were life so simple! Even at the height of the current Ukip uprising the Tories still command nearly a third of the votes. Cameron is still relatively popular at least compared to Ed and Nick. After a 2015 defeat and a Cameron departure internecine warfare would simply continue with Labour remaining the beneficiary. At a guess PR would not be on the agenda.
  • Options
    Southam

Victoria the Younger. She could be PM at 23. :)
  • Options
    Socrates said:

Theresa May's comment that innocent people's data is being harvested and searched without their permission is fine because there's an "unwritten agreement" is positively Orwellian. Is this what our politicians think of the consent of the governed these days?

Well they certainly haven't got my permission to do nothing about people wanting to blow up me and my family. Have they got yours?
  • Options
    test
  • Options
    Part-ELBOW for the seven polls so far this week (with changes from last week) - sample size 7,660:

Lab 33.9% (-0.2)
    Con 31.2% (-0.4)
    UKIP 16.7% (+0.5)
    LD 8.1% (nc)

Lab lead 2.7% (+0.2)

• Options
    taffys said:

Strange then, that labour has pledged to continue with most of the measures that have been passed by the coalition.

Even ed's most radical measures, energy freeze and mansion tax, are being quietly rowed away from or softened.

Ah well, can't be that bad then, might as well give them a go!
  • Options

Socrates said:

Well they certainly haven't got my permission to do nothing about people wanting to blow up me and my family. Have they got yours?
    What I don't understand Richard is why you view the risk from terrorism as so unique that it justifies the unlimited extension of state power, but the many other causes of premature death do not justify the same reaction?

When it comes to the use of state power in reaction to terrorism you sound really quite Stalinist, and yet you're anti-statist on almost everything else. It's bizarrely inconsistent.
  • Options
    Socrates said:

"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." - Benjamin Franklin. 1755

http://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/Benjamin_Franklin
  • Options
    woody662 said:

Blimey.

What's going on with Labour candidates. Loads of them seem to be straight out of school and seemingly are still waiting for their balls to drop.
    Well if you're waiting for her balls to drop, you may either

I) Have a very long wait

II) Have the political story of the year
  • Options

Sunil Prasannan @Sunil_P2 · 42m 42 minutes ago

Back in 2011 #Labour dominated the GB Westminster by-election scene. Lab 53%, LD 15, Con 14, SNP 6, UKIP 5, BNP 2.5%

https://twitter.com/Sunil_P2/status/522762669548642304
  • Options

Sunil Prasannan @Sunil_P2 · 39m 39 minutes ago

#Labour also first in GB Westminster by-elections in 2012. Lab 49%, Con 14, Res 13, UKIP 10, LD 6, BNP & Grn 2, PC 1%

https://twitter.com/Sunil_P2/status/522763818469195776
  • Options
    MikeSmithsonMikeSmithson Posts: 7,382

Labour dominated Westminster by-elections in 2011 and in 2012:

Aggregate vote for the five Great Britain by-elections in 2011:

Lab 53.2
    LD 15.1
    Con 14.4
    SNP 6.4
    UKIP 5.2
    BNP 2.5
    Green 0.7
    others 2.5

and the aggregate for the seven GB contests in 2012:

Lab 49.1
    Con 13.9
    Respect 12.5
    UKIP 9.7
    LD 5.9
    BNP 1.9
    Green 1.9
    Plaid 1.1
    others 4.0

But the sea-change occurred in 2013. For the two GB by-elections last year:

UKIP 26.5
    Lab 25.0
    LD 20.6
    Con 20.2
    BNP 1.1
    others 6.6

And even more dramatic for the four by-election contests so far this year:

UKIP 36.7
    Lab 28.2
    Con 26.2
    LD 3.3
    Green 2.7
    BNP 0.6
    others 2.4

That analysis doesn't tell us anything except that up to this year most by-elections were LAB defences.

• Options
    taffystaffys Posts: 9,753
    Interesting comments from Fed officials this afternoon.

Seem to be putting Europe in the frame as the chief culprit for market turbulence.

It won;t be just British fruitcakes who are moaning about the continent's little social and economic experiments soon, perhaps.
  • Options
    No sign yet of the mythical Chilcott report.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-29646705
  • Options

Labour dominated Westminster by-elections in 2011 and in 2012:

Aggregate vote for the five Great Britain by-elections in 2011:

Lab 53.2
    LD 15.1
    Con 14.4
    SNP 6.4
    UKIP 5.2
    BNP 2.5
    Green 0.7
    others 2.5

and the aggregate for the seven GB contests in 2012:

Lab 49.1
    Con 13.9
    Respect 12.5
    UKIP 9.7
    LD 5.9
    BNP 1.9
    Green 1.9
    Plaid 1.1
    others 4.0

But the sea-change occurred in 2013. For the two GB by-elections last year:

UKIP 26.5
    Lab 25.0
    LD 20.6
    Con 20.2
    BNP 1.1
    others 6.6

And even more dramatic for the four by-election contests so far this year:

UKIP 36.7
    Lab 28.2
    Con 26.2
    LD 3.3
    Green 2.7
    BNP 0.6
    others 2.4

That analysis doesn't tell us anything except that up to this year most by-elections were LAB defences.

https://twitter.com/Sunil_P2/status/522402890598858752
    https://twitter.com/Sunil_P2/status/522529343847673856
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,294
    edited October 2014
    Looks as if Vicky Fowler amongst others has been repeating the attack lines...

"I know first-hand how amazing our NHS is but it needs protecting so that future generations are able to benefit from our incredible health service.
    “Our health service doesn’t deserve David Cameron’s broken promises. Under this Tory-led government we’ve lost 4,000 nurses, seen ambulance queues outside hospitals double and now A&E waiting times are at a nine year high.
    “I am going to be campaigning hard to win for Nuneaton, because we can’t trust the Tories with our NHS.”

http://www.nuneaton-news.co.uk/Vicky-Fowler-Labour-parliamentary-candidate/story-20284837 detail/story.html#ixzz3GK739Bij
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    edited October 2014

What I don't understand Richard is why you view the risk from terrorism as so unique that it justifies the unlimited extension of state power, but the many other causes of premature death do not justify the same reaction?

When it comes to the use of state power in reaction to terrorism you sound really quite Stalinist, and yet you're anti-statist on almost everything else. It's bizarrely inconsistent.

I don't think it justifies the "unlimited extension of state power"? When on earth did I ever say that, or anything which could conceivably be interpreted as that?

I'm a simple chap. I'm extremely keen on civil liberties, but I recognise that there is always a balance to be struck between protecting the public, or carrying out other valid functions of the state, and civil liberties. For example, innocent people can and are put in jail, on remand. In fact by definition they are legally innocent at the time, and in practice are quite often innocent in the everyday sense that they didn't commit the crime. It's hard to imagine a more drastic infringement of the liberties of an innocent person, yet we accept this as an unavoidable necessity to protect the public. As long as it is properly overseen, it commands public support.

So, to turn to Mrs May's haystack, it's a theoretical breach of my privacy if some computer in GCHQ is whizzing through zillions of email headers which happen to include mine. But, really, is it so bad? Compared with being locked up as an innocent man, of course not. You don't even know it's happening, it costs you nothing (unlike being unfairly accused of a crime, which might bankrupt you), it has absolutely zero effect on your life. As a breach of your civil liberties it hardly rates 1 out of 10. It's not as bad as, say, having to keep your ID card record up to date, on pain of a £1000 fine, as the last lot proposed. And of course it's absolutely nothing whatsoever compared with 90-day detention without even being told in general terms what you're supposed to have done, as the last lot proposed.

To call this Stalinist is completely absurd. Stalinist is being arrested at dawn and sent off to a camp in Siberia. People really should keep a sense of perspective.

Of course, even the limited breach of civil liberties in the surveillance powers would be unacceptable if it were unnecessary. But it is necessary - it's how they find the right handful of hay to take a close look at, in order to find that needle.

The irony in the whole thing is that the public as a whole cares not a jot about any of this. Quite the reverse, in fact - they spend much of their time putting their private life on Facebook, so as to make absolutely certain that not only the UK government, but also the US government and unaccountable private corporations, know every detail of their lives.
  • Options
    philiphphiliph Posts: 4,704
    dr_spyn said:

"I know first-hand how amazing our NHS is but it needs protecting so that future generations are able to benefit from our incredible health service.
    “Our health service doesn’t deserve David Cameron’s broken promises. Under this Tory-led government we’ve lost 4,000 nurses, seen ambulance queues outside hospitals double and now A&E waiting times are at a nine year high.
    “I am going to be campaigning hard to win for Nuneaton, because we can’t trust the Tories with our NHS.”

http://www.nuneaton-news.co.uk/Vicky-Fowler-Labour-parliamentary-candidate/story-20284837 detail/story.html#ixzz3GK739Bij

How many years since the foundation of 'Our NHS' has it survived with a Conservative Government, and how many years with Labour.

When you add up the numbers I think you will find history shows that it was safe in Conservative hands as well as Labour.

Just better run by Tories than profligate Labour.
  • Options
    dr_spyn said:

Presumably there must be some boot camp somewhere where Labour candidates and MPs are drilled in repeating mindless slogans until they are incapable of saying anything else.
  • Options
    The contrast between Liz Mcinnes and Douglas Carswell victory speeches could not have been more stark.

"This is an endorsement of Ed Miliband" ffsake !

Labour will probably hold H&M at the GE but she seemed to be a terrible candidate.
  • Options
    NinoinozNinoinoz Posts: 1,312
    edited October 2014

@Tissue

In the same way that Eskimos have 126 words for snow, Hodges has 126,000 ways of saying Ed Miliband is a disaster for Ed Miliband

Questionable.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eskimo_words_for_snow
  • Options
    murali_smurali_s Posts: 3,057
    The majority on here (PB Tories) are in utter denial!

You should listen to one of your crew - SeanT - who now predicts a small Labour majority or at worst a Labour plurality.

The writing is on the wall - this Tory regime is on its last legs and to be honest good riddance!
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 50,010
    edited October 2014

To call this Stalinist is completely absurd. Stalinist is being arrested at dawn and sent off to a camp in Siberia.

Or Guantanamo?

:)
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 60,101
    murali_s said:

You should listen to one of your crew - SeanT - who now predicts a small Labour majority or at worst a Labour plurality.

Would that be the same SeanT who predicted the sundering of the Union and the end of days?

Or another one?

• Options

To call this Stalinist is completely absurd. Stalinist is being arrested at dawn and sent off to a camp in Siberia.

Or Guantanamo?

:)
    Yes, indeed so.
  • Options

dr_spyn said:

Presumably there must be some boot camp somewhere where Labour candidates and MPs are drilled in repeating mindless slogans until they are incapable of saying anything else.
    Labour are allegedly big fans of Stanley Kubrick, and I've heard from impeccable sources that they have an underground cinema at their HQ. It explains everything.
  • Options
    john_zimsjohn_zims Posts: 3,399
    edited October 2014
    @Philiph

'Just better run by Tories than profligate Labour.'

Labour 8% spending cuts to the NHS in Wales,Tory increases in NHS spending in England
  • Options
    edited October 2014

Socrates said:

This is an infantile response that demeans you. Did you believe that the government did nothing about the IRA terrorist threat for decades, when we were at risk of getting blown up? Don't be so bloody stupid and black and white about this. Governments are perfectly capable of protecting us from terrorism without mass intrusions of the privacy of millions of individual people.

An unwritten agreement is one where an agreement of another form of agreement has been established, usually verbal. The people who are having their data taken have not agreed to at all, and it's deeply cynical to distort phrases like "unwritten agreement" to pretend there is an agreement to justify such intrusions when there is none. It is the equivalent of "war is peace, freedom is slavery, ignorance is strength". Theresa May is using words to mean their opposite. It's reminiscent of John Reid saying big brother tactics improve civil liberties because the greatest civil liberty is personal security. It is the hallmark of authoritarians.
  • Options
    currystarcurrystar Posts: 1,171
    murali_s said:

The writing is on the wall - this Tory regime is on its last legs and to be honest good riddance!

Thats right get Labour back in and get that unemployment back up
  • Options

You've only just noticed? Most of them are still praying to the swingbackcrossover fairies, as they have for, oooh 4 and a bit years now.

The Tories don't have many more hands to play, after Cameron's big unfunded tax cut pitch to the Right flopped.

They're pinning most of their hopes on their media smearing Miliband during the campaign. Lol, that should work.

Cameron's political gravestone will have three names on it: Lansley, Coulson, Crosby.
  • Options

I don't think it justifies the "unlimited extension of state power"? When on earth did I ever say that, or anything which could conceivably be interpreted as that?

I'm a simple chap. I'm extremely keen on civil liberties, but I recognise that there is always a balance to be struck between protecting the public, or carrying out other valid functions of the state, and civil liberties. For example, innocent people can and are put in jail, on remand. In fact by definition they are legally innocent at the time, and in practice are quite often innocent in the everyday sense that they didn't commit the crime. It's hard to imagine a more drastic infringement of the liberties of an innocent person, yet we accept this as an unavoidable necessity to protect the public. As long as it is properly overseen, it commands public support.

So, to turn to Mrs May's haystack, it's a theoretical breach of my privacy if some computer in GCHQ is whizzing through zillions of email headers which happen to include mine. But, really, is it so bad? Compared with being locked up as an innocent man, of course not. You don't even know it's happening, it costs you nothing (unlike being unfairly accused of a crime, which might bankrupt you), it has absolutely zero effect on your life. As a breach of your civil liberties it hardly rates 1 out of 10. It's not as bad as, say, having to keep your ID card record up to date, on pain of a £1000 fine, as the last lot proposed. And of course it's absolutely nothing whatsoever compared with 90-day detention without even being told in general terms what you're supposed to have done, as the last lot proposed.
    Of course, even the limited breach of civil liberties in the surveillance powers would be unacceptable if it were unnecessary. But it is necessary - it's how they find the right handful of hay to take a close look at, in order to find that needle.

The irony in the whole thing is that the public as a whole cares not a jot about any of this. Quite the reverse, in fact - they spend much of their time putting their private life on Facebook, so as to make absolutely certain that not only the UK government, but also the US government and unaccountable private corporations, know every detail of their lives.
    Again, it's so scary the rhetorical tactics you authoritarians use to justify this stuff. A fraction of the public is blase about your privacy so the state has the right to access your one on one webcam conversations? Jesus Christ, it scares me that intelligent people jump through these intellectual loops in order to justify the unjustifiable.
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    Socrates said:

This is an infantile response that demeans you. Did you believe that the government did nothing about the IRA terrorist threat for decades, when we were at risk of getting blown up? Don't be so bloody stupid and black and white about this.

You are the one who is being stupidly black-and-white about this. Quite apart from anything else, the government did much the same during the IRA murder campaign - they monitored phone records. Unfortunately they weren't able to protect us fully; it was pretty damned horrible living in London at the time with all the bomb scares, many innocent people were maimed and killed, and the murderers got within an inch of killing the democratically-elected PM and her ministers (and also launched a mortar attack on John Major in No 10). To use this as an example in favour of doing less to protect the public is ludicrous; it should serve as an example of why the protection is needed.
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    Hugh said:

You've only just noticed? Most of them are still praying to the swingbackcrossover fairies, as they have for, oooh 4 and a bit years now.

The Tories don't have many more hands to play, after Cameron's big unfunded tax cut pitch to the Right flopped.

They're pinning most of their hopes on their media smearing Miliband during the campaign. Lol, that should work.

Cameron's political gravestone will have three names on it: Lansley, Coulson, Crosby.

You forgot your other long time favourite - Osborne.
  • Options
    Peter_the_PunterPeter_the_Punter Posts: 13,862
    edited October 2014
    John Redwood on Westminster just now was asked about Rochester.

Obviously he was keen to win it but '...it's just a by-election.'

Hmmm....no hostages to fortune there, John.
  • Options

Socrates said:

This is an infantile response that demeans you. Did you believe that the government did nothing about the IRA terrorist threat for decades, when we were at risk of getting blown up? Don't be so bloody stupid and black and white about this.

You are the one who is being stupidly black-and-white about this. Quite apart from anything else, the government did much the same during the IRA murder campaign - they monitored phone records. Unfortunately they weren't able to protect us fully; it was pretty damned horrible living in London at the time with all the bomb scares, many innocent people were maimed and killed, and the murderers got within an inch of killing the democratically-elected PM and her ministers. To use this as an example in favour of doing less to protect the public is ludicrous.
    You know full well my position isn't to not monitor communications. You continue to lie and pretend it is to try to knock down a strawman. I full support monitoring communciations, but just with individual warrants, as was the basis of English justice for centuries. You supposed "conservatives" don't give a damn about conserving the most important aspects of our inheritance.

Germany manages to survive with this system. Somehow they manage to not be constantly blown up by terrorists.
  • Options
    Socrates said:

Again, it's so scary the rhetorical tactics you authoritarians use to justify this stuff. A fraction of the public is blase about your privacy so the state has the right to access your one on one webcam conversations? Jesus Christ, it scares me that intelligent people jump through these intellectual loops in order to justify the unjustifiable.

You can be very stupid sometimes. Repeat after me: There is a distinction between justifying something, and pointing out the the public as a whole are not concerned about it. They are TWO SEPARATE POINTS, get it?
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    Socrates said:

I full support monitoring communciations, but just with individual warrants, as was the basis of English justice for centuries.

It wasn't. There has never been a requirement for individual warrants to monitor the addressees of letters or phone call logs, or to stand outside a pub and watch and photograph who goes in and out. And, as we have discussed many times before, the simple arithmetic of the matter means it is completely impossible to have individual warrants when looking for links; you have to look through billions of records.
  • Options

"Obviously keen to win it" - That's parliamentariese for "We'll probably lose" isn't it ?
  • Options
    john_zimsjohn_zims Posts: 3,399
    @Morris_Dancer

''No sign yet of the mythical Chilcott report'

What a farce,not to mention the waste of time & money.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 36,335
    Hugh said:

You seem to be just as much in denial. Labour are currently as popular as the Conservatives were under William Hague, yet you expect them to sweep to power.
  • Options
    Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 57,074
    edited October 2014
    @Labour candidates, there's another corker for Southampton Itchen. She's 29 years old, a guardian journalist, TV political commentator and - wait for it - a sitting councillor for Peckham, in London.

She has no connections to Southampton whatever, and (the classic) degree in PPE from Oxford. Westminster bubble written all over her.

An interesting one to watch, and a possible Con gain from Lab.
  • Options

@Labour candidates, there's another corker for Southampton Itchen. She's 29 years old, a guardian journalist, TV political commentator and - wait for it - a sitting councillor for Peckham, in London.

She has no connections to Southampton whatever, and (the classic) degree in PPE from Oxford. Westminster bubble written all over her.

Ideal CV for a future Labour leader.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

"Obviously keen to win it" - That's parliamentariese for "We'll probably lose" isn't it ?
    Well, as you probably know, I've been saying that the value bet is definitely the Tories at 10/3, if only to trade as the odds shorten.

Not so sure now. Maybe I've called this wrong. It didn't sound brimful of confidence.
  • Options
    Anybody interested in the American Mid-Term elections at the moment? Looking like a bit of a disaster for the Dems in the Senate. Likely to lose - Arkansas, Alaska, Iowa, Colorado, Louisiana (run off likely), West Virginia & South Dakota.

Only bright spots are North Carolina where Kay Hagan may hang on, and Georgia where Michelle Nunn is putting up a very solid showing in a red state.

Kansas and South Dakota are the wild cards, although I think the GOP will hold on in both cases.

Queue another 2 years of total gridlock in the pipeline then...
  • Options

Only if she's swerved tax on an inheritance through a deed of variation.
  • Options

Socrates said:

I full support monitoring communciations, but just with individual warrants, as was the basis of English justice for centuries.

It wasn't. There has never been a requirement for individual warrants to monitor the addressees of letters or phone call logs, or to stand outside a pub and watch and photograph who goes in and out. And, as we have discussed many times before, the simple arithmetic of the matter means it is completely impossible to have individual warrants when looking for links; you have to look through billions of records.
    What about reading the first line of letters, or the content of phone calls, as CCHQ does with emails and webcam conversations?

Also, the fact that they're now going through billions of records is a reason for more protections, not less.

And your claim that it's "completely impossible to have individual warrants when looking for links" is complete nonsense. You work out who your suspects are, then you monitor who is contacting them. This is what we did for decades and decades.
  • Options
    SmarmeronSmarmeron Posts: 5,099
    For the record, I think the fall in the stock market is caused by an accountant feeding the world debt into a supercomputer......
    And proving incontrovertibly, that the entire world is now owned by a Mexican drug baron.(or possibly his lawyer/accountant )
  • Options

Anybody interested in the American Mid-Term elections at the moment? Looking like a bit of a disaster for the Dems in the Senate. Likely to lose - Arkansas, Alaska, Iowa, Colorado, Louisiana (run off likely), West Virginia & South Dakota.

Only bright spots are North Carolina where Kay Hagan may hang on, and Georgia where Michelle Nunn is putting up a very solid showing in a red state.

Kansas and South Dakota are the wild cards, although I think the GOP will hold on in both cases.

Queue another 2 years of total gridlock in the pipeline then...

Thanks Ally.

Yes, always interested to hear what's going on Stateside, even if markets are thin on the ground just now.

How is Walker getting on in Wisconsin? The polls make it very close. (I've backed him for the GoP nomination, but if he loses to Burke, I reckon I can tear my voucher up.)
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

John Redwood is "just" a failed Tory leadership candidate :)
  • Options

Except my heart is Itchen for Rowena.
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 22,203

There will be no Tory gains from LAB in 2015

The wheels have come off and the UKIP surge have seen to that despite Ed being Crap
  • Options

Are you sure you're not @AveryLympPole?
  • Options
    Charles said:

Are you sure you're not @AveryLympPole?
    Any yellow boxes? :)
  • Options

There will be no Tory gains from LAB in 2015

The wheels have come off and the UKIP surge have seen to that despite Ed being Crap
    Would you like to bet on that. I'll take £50.

Given your certainty you'll be offering odds of 20/1?

• Options
    SmarmeronSmarmeron Posts: 5,099
    @TheScreamingEagles
    If anything else starts "Itchen", get yourself down to the STD clinic.
  • Options

Maybe, but I don't see the words lesbian, ethnic or single-parent in there anywhere, so maybe not.
This discussion has been closed.