Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Ipsos-Mori becomes the third pollster in less than a week t

Comments

• Options
    OblitusSumMeOblitusSumMe Posts: 9,143

Sunil Prasannan @Sunil_P2 3m

#LibDems' GB by-election %-ages since GE 2010 - 10 lost deposits from 18. Only 3 polls higher than 20% #Clacton

https://twitter.com/Sunil_P2/status/522402890598858752

Sunil. Any chance you could plot the data for "change in Lib Dem share of the vote"?
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    @Kevin_Maguire: Whisper is Labour has tapes to embarrass other Ministers over the next few weeks. Freud unlikely to be the last
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,623
    edited October 2014
    Hugh said:

murali_s said:

RodCrosby said:

Anorak said:

RodCrosby said:

Applying the L&N model to IPSOS we have:-

(Central forecast)

Would you bet, at this point in time, on a Tory majority priced at evens or better, on the basis of those model results? [thought I'd get in with a genuine question before BJO, Hugh, Smarmeron et al descended on you cackling and pointing]
    Well with more than 6 months to go, a Tory majority seems the value bet.

Or just lay Labour, to be on the safe side. I think they're going to be slaughtered, one way or another...
    "I think they're going to be slaughtered"

Evidence? Or typical Tory bias that dominates this blog!
    The L&N model has pretty good skill when applied to past elections. One of the key polling variables it uses is the satisfaction rating of the Prime Minister. The values for comparison to Cameron's present 38%, for three months before previous general elections are:

Blair [2001] = 47%
    Blair [2005] = 35%
    Brown [2010] = 36%

There is also a cyclic component which uses these past ratings to try and force the back-and-forth character of British politics. Thus [I think!] that the high rating for Blair in 2001 actually now counts against Labour in the model. This cyclic component also helps to explain why a 35% rating for Blair in 2005 was enough to see Labour home, but a 36% rating for Brown [in 2010] was not enough to defy the pendulum of British politics.

Basically, then, there are two reasons why the L&N model currently predicts a Tory majority. Firstly, people are still pissed off by the mistakes of the previous Labour government [and importantly, they might be more pissed off by them now after five years of Osborne harping on about how terrible it was]. Secondly, enough people are satisfied with Cameron as PM that they aren't going to chuck him out of office when they are still pissed off with Labour.
    Bertha, lovely Bertha, you are a lovely machine
    Any anyone who works with you will know just what I mean.
    Bertha, lovely Bertha, sometimes I thing you're a dream,
    When we work out what you have to do,
    You can always turn the goods out, always turn the goods out,

We can depend upon you.
    Clicking in the day and flashing in the night,
    Your computer is shining brightly,
    Some people say you've a mind of your own,
    And I think that's very likely, likely.
    I am reminded of some advertising guru or other who said, when talking about campaigns: if you have nothing to say, sing it.
  • Options

But surely this is Ed scoring cheap political points, trying to ensnare Cameron by publicising the comments minutes before PMQs leaving the PM in no position to deal with it one way or another, and taking wholly out of context something seemingly well intentioned if crudely and slightly brutally answered?

Cameron needs to grow a pair and turn this back on Ed.

Now which is worse - scoring self-interested party political points, through leaks and briefings, to win greater public acceptance for cuts to the income of disabled people, or scoring points to move their public profile, with yours, in the opposite direction ?

• Options
    shadsyshadsy Posts: 289
    Ladbrokes give the Lib Dems a greater than 50% chance of winning in 31 seats. Here's the rundown:
    http://politicalbookie.wordpress.com/2014/10/15/how-many-seats-will-the-lib-dems-win-at-the-general-election/
  • Options
    TheWatcherTheWatcher Posts: 5,262
    Hugh said:

murali_s said:

RodCrosby said:

Anorak said:

RodCrosby said:

Would you bet, at this point in time, on a Tory majority priced at evens or better, on the basis of those model results? [thought I'd get in with a genuine question before BJO, Hugh, Smarmeron et al descended on you cackling and pointing]

Or just lay Labour, to be on the safe side. I think they're going to be slaughtered, one way or another...

The L&N model has pretty good skill when applied to past elections. One of the key polling variables it uses is the satisfaction rating of the Prime Minister. The values for comparison to Cameron's present 38%, for three months before previous general elections are:

Blair [2001] = 47%
    Blair [2005] = 35%
    Brown [2010] = 36%

There is also a cyclic component which uses these past ratings to try and force the back-and-forth character of British politics. Thus [I think!] that the high rating for Blair in 2001 actually now counts against Labour in the model. This cyclic component also helps to explain why a 35% rating for Blair in 2005 was enough to see Labour home, but a 36% rating for Brown [in 2010] was not enough to defy the pendulum of British politics.

Basically, then, there are two reasons why the L&N model currently predicts a Tory majority. Firstly, people are still pissed off by the mistakes of the previous Labour government [and importantly, they might be more pissed off by them now after five years of Osborne harping on about how terrible it was]. Secondly, enough people are satisfied with Cameron as PM that they aren't going to chuck him out of office when they are still pissed off with Labour.
    Bertha, lovely Bertha, you are a lovely machine
    Any anyone who works with you will know just what I mean.
    Bertha, lovely Bertha, sometimes I thing you're a dream,
    When we work out what you have to do,
    You can always turn the goods out, always turn the goods out,

We can depend upon you.
    Clicking in the day and flashing in the night,
    Your computer is shining brightly,
    Some people say you've a mind of your own,
    And I think that's very likely, likely.
    How sweet. The long departed tim loved to post his favourite children's songs for our amusement.
  • Options
    I see Political Scrapbook are up to their old tricks again, what a disgusting bunch.

Not difficult to see who really is the nasty party.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 41,118
    edited October 2014

isam said:

UKIP 1-2 Seats is 10/3
    UKIP 3-4 seats is 7/1

Given that 5+ is odds on, shouldn't 3-4 be shorter than 1-2?

I don't think so, given 1-2 seats is almost a given with Clacton and maybe R&S - thereafter there is likely to be a tipping point whereupon UKIP start to pick up seats fairly quickly.

For all that, 7/1 does look a bit juicy.
    I get what you mean about the tipping point, but I still think they are wrong... I think its the wrong way round almost

( I don't mean I think it should be two on if that's what you thought I meant by shorter than 1-2!!)

Here are the prices

0 is 7/1
    1-2 10/3
    3-4 7/1
    5+ 8/11

If it was an EVEN money bet with all other seat totals VOID, I would be happy to take 3-4 against 1-2

• Options
    HurstLlamaHurstLlama Posts: 9,098
    Hugh said:

philiph said:

Hugh said:

So disabled people aren't worth the minimum wage, eh.

What an illuminating insight into the mentality of David Cameron's Tories.

I think as a politician you can say that you think that is the situation from the perspective of potential employers.

Employers can select an able bodied person who for the same wage has the ability to produce a higher output or be a more reliable attendee or will not need so much monitoring and supervision or has less time off sick and for medical appointments. There are a multitude of hurdles a disabled person needs to cross in order to get a job. As employers are not either social services or charities, then we need to recognise these impediments and find remedies for them to improve chances of the disabled having better outcomes.

In your world maybe you get solutions without identifying the problems. Very clever. The statement is perfectly valid, in context.

Any work that a disabled person does is worth the minimum wage. Not £2 hr, not £3hr, the minimum wage. No ifs, no buts.
    Why?

• Options
    Scott_P said:

@Kevin_Maguire: Whisper is Labour has tapes to embarrass other Ministers over the next few weeks. Freud unlikely to be the last

Maybe they have learned from the private meeting taping troubles that hit them earlier in the year.

• Options
    philiphphiliph Posts: 4,704
    Hugh said:

philiph said:

Hugh said:

I think as a politician you can say that you think that is the situation from the perspective of potential employers.

Employers can select an able bodied person who for the same wage has the ability to produce a higher output or be a more reliable attendee or will not need so much monitoring and supervision or has less time off sick and for medical appointments. There are a multitude of hurdles a disabled person needs to cross in order to get a job. As employers are not either social services or charities, then we need to recognise these impediments and find remedies for them to improve chances of the disabled having better outcomes.

In your world maybe you get solutions without identifying the problems. Very clever. The statement is perfectly valid, in context.
    No it's not valid. It's sick.

Any work that a disabled person does is worth the minimum wage. Not £2 hr, not £3hr, the minimum wage. No ifs, no buts.
    In context it is valid.

If your potential output as a disabled person is 50% of that of an able bodied person, you are at a disadvantage in getting a job as the cost is double to the employer. The value of the job to the disabled person is often far greater than the monetary reward in psychological terms. The business is not a charity or social service, so I don't see the harm in having a lower payment which is subsided by the community. Alternatively you could make it impossible for the disabled to get jobs, miss out on the opportunity of self esteem and worth boosts and in some instances see improvements in their conditions.

It is about giving better and more opportunities to the disabled. Just because the initial observations grates, it doesn't make it sick as it is a step to enabling better outcomes.
  • Options
    taffystaffys Posts: 9,753
    Any work that a disabled person does is worth the minimum wage.

OK. But that leaves some severely disabled people on welfare for ever. Happy?
  • Options
    SmarmeronSmarmeron Posts: 5,099
    @HurstLlama

"Why?"

Perhaps it would mean prospective employers would use them as more than cheap beasts of burden?
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,170

Time for a snippet of news to cheer us all up.

The French, French please note, Health Minister has declared, "It will be made illegal to sell products that make alcohol appear pleasant.”

I can't help feeling that either Madam Touraine is off her head or something has been lost in the translation.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/europe/france/11164372/France-to-stamp-out-le-binge-drinking-with-fines-and-jail-terms.html

Just come back from a Wine Appreciation Group. 6 wines brought back from members holiday trips.

It all tasted at least “pleasant”. Some was better than others of course!
  • Options

Scott_P said:

Maybe they have learned from the private meeting taping troubles that hit them earlier in the year.

There must be reels of comments from Labour MP's about Miliband.
  • Options
    Anybody think the GE campaign might be a tad dirty then?
  • Options
    RodCrosbyRodCrosby Posts: 7,737

murali_s said:

RodCrosby said:

Anorak said:

RodCrosby said:

(Central forecast)

Con vote lead 10.2%
    Con seat lead 103 seats

(10000 Monte Carlo simulations)

Chance of Tory vote lead: 100.0%
    Chance of a Tory seat lead: 99.9%

Chance of a Hung Parliament: 11.7%
    Chance of a Tory majority: 88.3%
    Chance of a Labour majority: 0.0%

Blair [2001] = 47%
    Blair [2005] = 35%
    Brown [2010] = 36%

There is also a cyclic component which uses these past ratings to try and force the back-and-forth character of British politics. Thus [I think!] that the high rating for Blair in 2001 actually now counts against Labour in the model. This cyclic component also helps to explain why a 35% rating for Blair in 2005 was enough to see Labour home, but a 36% rating for Brown [in 2010] was not enough to defy the pendulum of British politics**.

** It also implies that Blair would not have done any better than Brown if he'd still been PM in 2010.
    The values L&N used for Brown were 33% approval (late January 2010 MORI) and 72% two-party vote.
  • Options
    MikeK said:

isam said:

UKIP looking strong at the moment but things can change..

Any value in 3-4 seats at 7/1 with the Hill Billy boys?

http://www.oddschecker.com/politics/british-politics/next-uk-general-election/total-seats-ukip-banded

Are you @isam, up and down in your support for UKIP, in effect saying that perhaps UKIP won't progress from here, or perhaps not gain Rochester and Strood as hoped?

I believe that even if UKIP came second there, it would not turn the tide on the party.
    Not at all, I just think its not impossible something could happen that means we only get 3-4 seats, and 7/1 is probably a value bet

• Options
    edited October 2014
    Smarmeron said:

@HurstLlama

"Why?"

Perhaps it would mean prospective employers would use them as more than cheap beasts of burden?

How can prospective employers use disabled people as cheap beasts of burden? Your comment doesn't make sense let alone answer my question.
  • Options
    RodCrosby said:

GIN1138 said:

Right wing vote split = Comfortable Labour majority even though Miliband is dreadfully unpopular.

Too simplistic. The more I look at the polls, the more I think Labour will go sub 30%.
    You can see from the Mori tables [#4] how that might happen.

Labour gain a net 24 voters from the Lib Dems, but they lose 23 voters to UKIP, the Greens and the SNP. So only the barest advance on 2010.

And then they lose a net 3 voters to the Conservatives, putting them down on 2010. I think they only score 33% in this poll because a smaller proportion of their 2010 voters are "uncertain" than 2010 Conservatives and Lib Dems.
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    @HurstLlama
    Well, if you can get the same work out of them but pay a fraction of the already low wages, there is a fair chance someone will exploit the system for their own ends?
    Think of all the modern day slavery cases?
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    Hugh said:

philiph said:

Hugh said:

No it's not valid. It's sick.

Arent there people that are so mentally damaged that they are incapable of doing any job to the standard required for them to earn £6.31 an hour? For instance it may take them all day to do some gardening that would taken a non mentally handicapped person an hour or two, but it beneficial for them to get some fresh air and feel needed, and at the same time they get a bit of pocket money on top of their benefit

eg if it would usually take two hours and cost you £12.62, you pay the person in question £20 but it takes them 8 hours.. £2.50 an hour but you're not having them over, in fact you could get it done cheaper
  • Options
    isam said:

MikeK said:

isam said:

http://www.oddschecker.com/politics/british-politics/next-uk-general-election/total-seats-ukip-banded

Are you @isam, up and down in your support for UKIP, in effect saying that perhaps UKIP won't progress from here, or perhaps not gain Rochester and Strood as hoped?

I believe that even if UKIP came second there, it would not turn the tide on the party.
    Not at all, I just think its not impossible something could happen that means we only get 3-4 seats, and 7/1 is probably a value bet

a quick look on oddschecker (I may be wrong it was quick) shows UKIP only favs in 3-4 seats (includes Rochester)
  • Options
    philiphphiliph Posts: 4,704
    Smarmeron said:

Well, if you can get the same work out of them but pay a fraction of the already low wages, there is a fair chance someone will exploit the system for their own ends?

Over the years in a small business I have employed people with mental, physical and neurological disabilities.

Getting the same output is highly unlikely!
  • Options

Scott_P said:

There must be reels of comments from Labour MP's about Miliband.

If there are, we will no doubt be treated to them.

• Options
    HughHugh Posts: 955
    Arent there people that are so mentally damaged that they are incapable of doing any job to the standard required for them to earn £6.31 an hour?

No. Because that is the legal minimum wage. It's the minimum that any labour, of any kind, is worth.
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    Deleted
  • Options

If there are, we will no doubt be treated to them.

There is a dedicated website
  • Options

I suppose your concerns are legitimate but the fact remains there are some people with severe disabilities to whom employers will not offer work at the minimum wage.

What should be done with them? How should they spend their lives? The answer will be different in every case, of course, but what you are arguing rules out paid work in ANY case for these people.
  • Options
    isam said:

MikeK said:

isam said:

I've gone 5 or more so getting 7/1 as a cover bet is great news.
  • Options
    Tissue_PriceTissue_Price Posts: 9,039
    isam said:

MikeK said:

isam said:

But if "something happens" there's every chance that you're just left with Carswell and maybe Reckless.

e.g. [example only, not too sure on my percentages here]
    on national polling < 3%, you have no MPs [somehow Carswell loses]
    on national polling 3-8%, you have 1-2 MPs
    on national polling 8-9%, you have 3-4 MPs
    on national polling 9-10%, you have 5-7 MPs
    on national polling 10-11%, you have 7-12 MPs
    etc.

So the 1-2 MPs covers a much broader band of percentage outcomes (albeit more unlikely outcomes) than the 3-4 MPs band
  • Options
    Hugh said:

Arent there people that are so mentally damaged that they are incapable of doing any job to the standard required for them to earn £6.31 an hour?

No. Because that is the legal minimum wage. It's the minimum that any labour, of any kind, is worth.

Tell that to the labourers happy to accept £40 a day, and the system that exploits them.
  • Options
    @George_Osborne: Thanks to the #longtermeconomicplan, we can recommend another increase in the National Minimum Wage https://t.co/CCAQkFRdtg
  • Options
    It's the minimum that any labour, of any kind, is worth.

Are you proposing to outlaw people who do volunteer work for charities? Some of them probably work harder than us office slaves!
  • Options
    @taffys
    No, I am arguing for them to be paid the minimum wage, otherwise it is no longer a "minimum" but something to be negotiated between the parties, with the employer holding the cards.
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    taffys said:

I suppose your concerns are legitimate but the fact remains there are some people with severe disabilities to whom employers will not offer work at the minimum wage.

What should be done with them? How should they spend their lives? The answer will be different in every case, of course, but what you are arguing rules out paid work in ANY case for these people.

I have a 17 year old niece with learning disablities. She can do simple tasks. She needs a job; she’s well aware that others in her family have jobs, go to work and so on and wants to do the same.
    She will also never be able to live a fully independent life.
    How do we, as a society, cope?
  • Options
    MikeKMikeK Posts: 9,053
    I don't care what some experts on PB are saying; the Stock Markets are falling for the 5th day in succession. Something is in the wind. I spoke to my stockbroker 2 hours ago, and he smells trouble.
  • Options
    MarkHopkinsMarkHopkins Posts: 5,584
    Hugh said:

That is where you go wrong. The minimum wage is the minimum to be paid, not what someone thinks the labour is worth.

Therefore if Worth < Paid, then that person is left without a job.

In the case of someone unable (for any reason) to perform a suitable task, they are forced (unfairly) onto benefits.

• Options
    taffys said:

Are you proposing to outlaw people who do volunteer work for charities? Some of them probably work harder than us office slaves!

Only disabled people who do charity work...
  • Options
    Hugh said:

The law says it is worth that so it must be? It's only worth that if someone will pay it. Now, perhaps that should be the state in some instances, for moral reasons. Which is precisely the conundrum that Lord Freud was trying [very clumsily] to discuss.
  • Options

Hugh said:

Tell that to the labourers happy to accept £40 a day, and the system that exploits them.

I doubt they are happy to accept it. Forced by circumstances to accept it, perhaps.

• Options
    SocratesSocrates Posts: 10,322
    Scott_P said:

Who recorded the tapes?
  • Options
    @MikeK
    The bankers have finally worked out that the mathematical model they thought was perfect, isn't.
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    Hugh said:

So do you think if your kid takes two hours to clean your car and it you give them a tenner that is exploitation? Even though you can go down the road and get it done for a fiver and it will take 15 minutes?

The point is that the example Lord Freud was given was of someone who is incapable of doing a job that pays £6.31 an hour... so all that will happen if we adhere to your inflexible rule is these people will sit indoors all day watching telly or staring out of the window because no one will bung them a tenner to spend an afternoon clearing the leaves from the garden etc even though they want to do it

People aren't employing these poor people because they want the job done to a professional standard, they are giving them something to do, its no more than charity, but the good thing is they feel useful
  • Options
    MikeK said:

I don't care what some experts on PB are saying; the Stock Markets are falling for the 5th day in succession. Something is in the wind. I spoke to my stockbroker 2 hours ago, and he smells trouble.

MikeK said:

I've heard the same thing Mike, another October crash coming?

• Options
    isam said:

MikeK said:

isam said:

I consider less than 20 seats would be a kind of failure in my eyes.
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,976
    edited October 2014
    Topping

"I am reminded of some advertising guru or other who said, when talking about campaigns: if you have nothing to say, sing it."

Rod Allen of Allen Brady Marsh. A lunatic who I shot a weetabix ad for. Pleasantly eccentric even by the whacky standards of advertising

http://streamabout.blogspot.co.uk/2012/03/madmen-they-were-greatest-pitch-of-them.html
  • Options

MikeK said:

MikeK said:

Don't worry. Ebola will be along shortly.
  • Options
    edited October 2014

isam said:

MikeK said:

isam said:

But if "something happens" there's every chance that you're just left with Carswell and maybe Reckless.

etc.

So the 1-2 MPs covers a much broader band of percentage outcomes (albeit more unlikely outcomes) than the 3-4 MPs band

Again I think your figures (3-8% etc ) justify your argument, and this could go on all day

So lets stop the fussing

I will take 3&4 you can have 1&2

EVEN Money? Any other amount of seats = VOID
  • Options
    isam said:

isam said:

MikeK said:

isam said:

etc.

Lets stop the fussing

Yeah, that's fine
  • Options
    RodCrosby said:

murali_s said:

RodCrosby said:

Anorak said:

RodCrosby said:

(Central forecast)

Con vote lead 10.2%
    Con seat lead 103 seats

(10000 Monte Carlo simulations)

Chance of Tory vote lead: 100.0%
    Chance of a Tory seat lead: 99.9%

Chance of a Hung Parliament: 11.7%
    Chance of a Tory majority: 88.3%
    Chance of a Labour majority: 0.0%

Blair [2001] = 47%
    Blair [2005] = 35%
    Brown [2010] = 36%

There is also a cyclic component which uses these past ratings to try and force the back-and-forth character of British politics. Thus [I think!] that the high rating for Blair in 2001 actually now counts against Labour in the model. This cyclic component also helps to explain why a 35% rating for Blair in 2005 was enough to see Labour home, but a 36% rating for Brown [in 2010] was not enough to defy the pendulum of British politics**.

** It also implies that Blair would not have done any better than Brown if he'd still been PM in 2010.
    The values L&N used for Brown were 33% approval (late January 2010 MORI) and 72% two-party vote.
    Thanks, I wasn't sure which one to use.
  • Options

MikeK said:

MikeK said:

I don't know about that and I sincerely hope not but the DOW is presently 245 points down today and pressing 16,000 after being near 18,000 only last week.
  • Options

isam said:

isam said:

MikeK said:

isam said:

etc.

Lets stop the fussing

Yeah, that's fine
    How much?
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,707
    Socrates said:

GIN1138 said:

Right wing vote split = Comfortable Labour majority even though Miliband is dreadfully unpopular.

The Tories should probably appoint a leader who is capable of reuniting the right.

I think I've gone totally native now -I was such a die hard Tory for so many years, but I just can't imagine even my idea leader tempting me back, except if it were ever required tactically to avoid someone worse getting in.
  • Options
    isam said:

isam said:

isam said:

MikeK said:

isam said:

etc.

Lets stop the fussing

Yeah, that's fine
    How much?
    How much do you want?
  • Options

MikeK said:

MikeK said:

You may soon regret saying that, even in jest.
  • Options
    isam,

woe betide any scout knocking on Hugh's door.

Bob a job sir?

''Any employment offered would not be at the minimum wage. Get lost''
  • Options

isam said:

isam said:

isam said:

MikeK said:

isam said:

etc.

Lets stop the fussing

Yeah, that's fine
    How much?
    How much do you want?
    One million dollars? *little finger to mouth*

I dunno £100?

• Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,940
    I see this site has UNCROSSOVER today.

http://electionforecast.co.uk/
  • Options
    isam said:

isam said:

isam said:

isam said:

MikeK said:

isam said:

etc.

Lets stop the fussing

Yeah, that's fine
    How much?
    How much do you want?

I dunno £100?

Yeah, that's fine. I expect it will be void anyway :-) I'll message you and PtP to confirm.
  • Options
    Putin: Neo-Naziism becoming common in the Baltic states

http://en.ria.ru/world/20141014/194085345/Europe-Losing-Fight-Against-Nazism.html
  • Options
    isam said:

MikeK said:

isam said:

How times change, eh?

It can't have been that many months ago that you wouldn't have thought to use the word "only" in connection with UKIP winning 3-4 seats at the 2015 general election, but now it would take some sort of black swan event to push UKIP back down there.
  • Options
    @Socrates
    Putin must have been listening to SeanT writing about how Europe was moving inexorably to the right?
  • Options
    @MrHarryCole: Can't help but think of the disabled people that Labour stewards moved out of shot at their party conference if we are doing high horses.
  • Options
    Hugh said:

Welcome back Tristram, my old duck!
  • Options
    Lord Hill now being openly described as "pro-European"

http://euobserver.com/opinion/126062
  • Options

isam said:

MikeK said:

isam said:

How times change, eh?

It can't have been that many months ago that you wouldn't have thought to use the word "only" in connection with UKIP winning 3-4 seats at the 2015 general election, but now it would take some sort of black swan event to push UKIP back down there.
    Yeah if I had tipped 3-4 at 7/1 in May I reckon people would have said it was a bit optimistic!
  • Options
    MikeSmithsonMikeSmithson Posts: 7,382
    Socrates said:

That's good.

• Options
    Socrates said:

Well he does need to get confirmed in the job. I believe it's called "diplomacy".
  • Options

isam said:

isam said:

isam said:

isam said:

MikeK said:

isam said:

etc.

Lets stop the fussing

Yeah, that's fine
    How much?
    How much do you want?

I dunno £100?

Yeah, that's fine. I expect it will be void anyway :-) I'll message you and PtP to confirm.
    What price VOID? fancy a bet??

Joking joking! ;)
  • Options
    Another warning - all be it tongue in cheek - in this Telegraph blog, that there is trouble ahead;

http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/news/iainmartin1/100289442/the-tories-must-pray-that-the-economic-news-is-positive-between-now-and-the-general-election/
  • Options
    MikeSmithsonMikeSmithson Posts: 7,382
    Socrates said:

Scott_P said:

Who recorded the tapes?
    People with smartphones I guess which means just about anyone.

It's a well known political tactic which the Tories have used in the past.

• Options
    currystarcurrystar Posts: 1,171
    MikeK said:
    So will any bad economic news be the tories fault?
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    MikeK said:

MikeK said:

MikeK said:

You may soon regret saying that, even in jest.
    I'm not jesting. Look at the numbers, and the slow realisation of world governments as they begin to throw the armed forces at an almost insurmountable problem.

We've got UKBA defending us. They'll either wave sufferers through to avoid dealing with the paperwork, or go on strike demanding 'danger money'.
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,976
    Whereas Miliband taking this baton may seem opportunistic but when Harriet picks it up it really resonates.

The Tories have only themselves to blame. Through the offices of IDS they have now got themselves a horrible reputation for kicking the disabled. By contrast Labour's credentials are impeccable.

This is what Labour should have been doing for months. Privilege is Cameron's weakness and compassion is Labour's strength. For Labour this is the perfect 10
  • Options
    FrankBoothFrankBooth Posts: 9,088
    Looking at ICM's latest polling there does seem to be a competition on to see who dislikes David Cameron the most, Ukip voters or Labour voters. You have to wonder how many of those lost to Ukip can be won back under the current Tory leadership. And what would the next leader need to promise to them?
  • Options

The point is that the example Lord Freud was given was of someone who is incapable of doing a job that pays £6.31 an hour

The point is that every job is worth at least £6.50, because that is the legal minimum wage.

Freud's point was that some jobs are worth less than that if they are done by a disabled person.
  • Options
    RodCrosbyRodCrosby Posts: 7,737
    edited October 2014

I see this site has UNCROSSOVER today.

http://electionforecast.co.uk/

Interesting site. I see they have dozens of seats being won with <33% and a few with sub-25%, which I can quite agree with...

FPTP - not fit for purpose.
  • Options
    @Hugh
    The logic is that if you do away with the minimum wage for the "disabled", you would have to remove it from the "able", otherwise it is discrimination.
    Logic of course plays no part in debate here, so just carry on as usual everyone.
  • Options
    Roger said:

Whereas Miliband taking this baton may seem opportunistic but when Harriet picks it up it really resonates.

The Tories have only themselves to blame. Through the offices of IDS they have now got themselves a horrible reputation for kicking the disabled. By contrast Labour's credentials are impeccable.

This is what Labour should have been doing for months. Privilege is Cameron's weakness and compassion is Labour's strength. For Labour this is the perfect 10

Compassion = Hospital patients drinking from water vases.
  • Options
    perdixperdix Posts: 1,806
    Hugh said:

The point is that the example Lord Freud was given was of someone who is incapable of doing a job that pays £6.31 an hour

The point is that every job is worth at least £6.50, because that is the legal minimum wage.

Freud's point was that some jobs are worth less than that if they are done by a disabled person.

The hourly wage to an employer is that which enables him to remain in business. If an employer can't justify it he would go bust if he pays it.

• Options
    perdixperdix Posts: 1,806
    MikeK said:
    Kippers, like Labour, revel in bad news on the economy whether the government is at fault or not. Very unpatriotic.

• Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 59,037
    Hugh said:

Yes, so they'll make the decision whether or not to have that job and take the loss, if the value of that job is less than £6.50
  • Options
    perdix said:

Hugh said:

The hourly wage to an employer is that which enables him to remain in business. If an employer can't justify it he would go bust if he pays it.

Wrong.

The (minimum) hourly wage to an employer is the legal minimum wage.
  • Options

Socrates said:

That's good.

If he puts EU interest before the UK interest it's not.
  • Options

Socrates said:

GIN1138 said:

The Tories should probably appoint a leader who is capable of reuniting the right.

I think I've gone totally native now -I was such a die hard Tory for so many years, but I just can't imagine even my idea leader tempting me back, except if it were ever required tactically to avoid someone worse getting in.
    I'm completely mercantile about it. If there was a Tory leader that was prepared to demand major repatriations from Brussels or leave, who wanted to genuinely cut immigration to the tens of thousands, and who had a strong sense of traditional British liberties, I'd happily vote for them.
  • Options

I reckon even stupid people can see past labour's deliberate misrepresentations. Time will tell.
  • Options
    Hugh said:

No that wasn't his point at all

They aren't being used to do jobs that could be done by an able minded person for economic reasons

He is talking about non jobs given to people to give them something to do rather than stare out of a window

And now they will just stare out of the window, because there isn't a real job available that they could do on merit, and no one will bung them a bit of pocket money to do some menial and probably unnecessary task either because of inflexible bureacracy
  • Options

Compassion = Hospital patients drinking from water vases.

Cameron cared for a disabled son (and father) for years.

Ed had them cleared out of shot.

Who has perfect credentials?
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,902
    Hugh said:

No, as has been pointed out, that is what it should pay.

However, its economic worth may be less than that if the person employed to do it has productivity substantially below average.

So what to do?

Dragoon employers into hiring people who will drive them out of business?

Write off people whose productivity is substantially below average?

Or, as Lord Freud very clumsily suggested, work out ways of squaring the circle?
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 36,024
    Socrates said:

Appointed by a "Eurosceptic" (ha ha!) Prime Minister.

• Options
    OK, the argument that is mostly put forward is that the "disabled" should be exempt from the minimum wage requirements.
    How "disabled" do you have to be, to qualify for this dubious honour?
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    Interesting how certain political events provoke sundered political allegiances to heal. The pb kippers are hotly coming to the defence of the point being made by Lord Freud (compare and contrast Douglas Carswell's comments).
  • Options
    Smarmeron said:

@Hugh
    The logic is that if you do away with the minimum wage for the "disabled", you would have to remove it from the "able", otherwise it is discrimination.
    Logic of course plays no part in debate here, so just carry on as usual everyone.

A person who can do some work but not sufficient to generate the minimum wage's worth of value for his/her employer. Should that person be condemned to rot on benefits or is there another way, perhaps involving employment subsidy, whereby the person can join the workforce? If you want to stick rigidly to the idea that the employer must pay the minimum wage then more disabled people are going to be doomed to a life on benefits than needs to be the case. If you want to think about the problem then maybe some solutions can be found that benefit the disabled, the employers and the taxpayers.
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,707
    edited October 2014
    Hugh said:

I presume then that you are happy for those whose disabilities prevent them from matching the output of their non-disabled cohort simply never to get jobs. It's a view...
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,940
    perdix said:

MikeK said:
    Kippers, like Labour, revel in bad news on the economy whether the government is at fault or not. Very unpatriotic.

When would bad news on the economy not be the fault of the Governmemt?
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    Something worth considering in the context of the discussion about the disabled and the minimum wage:

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/disability-facts-and-figures/disability-facts-and-figures#employment
  • Options
    ThomasNasheThomasNashe Posts: 5,024
    Apologies if posted before, but here are some words of wisdom from a truly great man:

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/people/news/russell-brand-will-make-you-all-homeless-says-john-lydon-9796165.html
  • Options
    @HurstLlama
    Benefit to the taxpayers? If a disabled person works "full time", then they are entitled to full tax credits to take them up to a certain level (remember "work will always pay?), this means more employment subsidies.
    Spin it on the other matters, but that one is nonsense.
This discussion has been closed.