Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Corporeal asks What will UKIP look like the rest of the way

124»

Comments

• Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,160
    Mr. Song, 'denier' is an ugly term to use. It's most commonly associated with Holocaust Denial, which is the denial of historical fact, and not believing in the anthropogenic global warming theory is rather different (particularly in moral terms).

Holding a valid scientific opinion should be cause for debate, not trying to close down the position by implying it's unacceptable.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,282

steve hawkes ‏@steve_hawkes · 8 mins8 minutes ago
    Breaking: Sources claim Govt about to announce they will start screening for Ebola at the border http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/5983441/Ministers-WILL-screen-for-Ebola-at-British-borders.html

Good!!

Can you actually detect it at the border or is this just theatre?
    There should be special measures in place for incoming flights from Sierra Leone, Liberia, Guinea at the very least - if we allow flights to come in from those countries at all right now. Not sure we should.
  • Options
    taffystaffys Posts: 9,753
    edited October 2014
    ''Worth noting that there are certain areas (most obviously more efficient technology) which make sense from an economic and environmental perspective, regardless of whether global warming is going on or not. ''

Agreed. I notice that, despite the middle east being in total chaos, the price of oil is plummeting.

How wonderful would it be to free ourselves from the yoke of their hydrocarbons.

Sell your oil, keep your oil. Tell you what, stuff your oil.
  • Options
    OblitusSumMeOblitusSumMe Posts: 9,143
    edited October 2014

Breaking: Sources claim Govt about to announce they will start screening for Ebola at the border http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/5983441/Ministers-WILL-screen-for-Ebola-at-British-borders.html

Good!!

You will be able to detect people with a high temperature, but you then have to wait until you can get the lab results back to say whether it is Ebola or not. Worth noting that the incubation period for Ebola is up to 21 days long, so if you do catch someone with a high temperature who has Ebola it's possible that several who are incubating it will not be showing symptoms when they pass through border control.

Having played a lot of "Plague Inc" in my time I know that the key to stopping a pandemic from wiping out humanity is rapid response. [Incidentally, Greenland always seems to be the hardest place to infect. Go there and you'll almost certainly be safe]
  • Options
    edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,200
    edited October 2014
    OK, googling up airport screenings it seems to be "something must be done, this is something". You probably don't detect it if it's there and it throws up loads of false positives that waste the time of people who are actually doing useful work stopping people getting ebola.

http://www.npr.org/blogs/goatsandsoda/2014/10/08/354408155/why-one-public-health-expert-thinks-airport-ebola-screening-wont-work

Borders seem to be particularly susceptible to political stupid. I suppose it feels intuitive to the voters - bad thing is outside, we don't want it inside - stop it at the border! It's the same thing that makes managers who would skimp on software updates want to spend silly amounts of money on expensive firewalls.
  • Options
    EasterrossEasterross Posts: 1,915
    Pulpstar said:

Good!!

There should be special measures in place for incoming flights from Sierra Leone, Liberia, Guinea at the very least - if we allow flights to come in from those countries at all right now. Not sure we should.
    There are no direct flights from these countries into the UK as far as I understand. That was the point Michael Fallon was making on TV this morning.
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,269
    taffys said:

''Worth noting that there are certain areas (most obviously more efficient technology) which make sense from an economic and environmental perspective, regardless of whether global warming is going on or not. ''

Agreed. I notice that, despite the middle east being in total chaos, the price of oil is plummeting.

How wonderful would it be to free ourselves from the yoke of their hydrocarbons.

Sell your oil, keep your oil. Tell you what, stuff your oil.

Yes - if they can't sell the stuff because no-one needs it there'll be no money to spend on spreading terror.

• Options
    FalseFlagFalseFlag Posts: 1,801

Plato said:

Welcome to the Dark Side.

Anorak said:

So, after years of happily believing the consensus view on warming (i.e. it's happening), I'm beginning to waver a bit. Hard to explain stuff like this...

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2014/10/09/we_have_more_to_learn_says_scientist_antarctic_sea_ice_at_all_time_record/

I like The Register too, but it does have the 'denier' habit. I trust New Scientist more:
    http://www.newscientist.com/article/mg22329871.800-record-sea-ice-around-antarctica-due-to-global-warming.html#.VDaK_fldUac
    Climate Change is not simple, the scientists aren't in a global conspiracy. BTW the Earth isn't flat although it may appear so.
    I don't think educated Christian Europeans have believed the earth to be flat for a very long time.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Myth_of_the_Flat_Earth
  • Options

Good!!

You will be able to detect people with a high temperature, but you then have to wait until you can get the lab results back to say whether it is Ebola or not. Worth noting that the incubation period for Ebola is up to 21 days long, so if you do catch someone with a high temperature who has Ebola it's possible that several who are incubating it will not be showing symptoms when they pass through border control.

Having played a lot of "Plague Inc" in my time I know that the key to stopping a pandemic from wiping out humanity is rapid response. [Incidentally, Greenland always seems to be the hardest place to infect. Go there and you'll almost certainly be safe]
    OK presumably they're not going to stick anybody entering the country with a temperature in quarantine until they get the lab results back... Not to mention that if it looks like you could be denied entry to the country if symptoms are detected makes you want to hide symptoms from the authorities, so you've gone and turned what should be a helpful, cooperative situation (You want people with ebola to get medical attention, I don't want to die of ebola, we have the same goals, let's talk!) into an adversarial one (it's probably nothing, just need to hide it from you guys in case I get deported...)
  • Options
    taffystaffys Posts: 9,753
    Yes - if they can't sell the stuff because no-one needs it there'll be no money to spend on spreading terror.

Instead of bombing the cr8p out of people, President Obama could probably do more good by repealing the law making it illegal for the US to export oil.

• Options

Pulpstar said:

Good!!

There are no direct flights from these countries into the UK as far as I understand. That was the point Michael Fallon was making on TV this morning.
    So which flights will they screen?
  • Options

Good!!

Pandemic!

http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/30549/pandemic
  • Options
    antifrank said:

The FT has a fairly routine report on the Clacton by-election, with one line of interest:

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/7b1f5e18-4fa0-11e4-a0a4-00144feab7de.html?ftcamp=published_links/rss/brussels/feed//product&siteedition=uk#axzz3FeQkVH1V

"Nigel Farage, the party leader, believes his party is on track to win about five MPs in the general election next May, including Thurrock, also in Essex."

That's a pretty middle of the road forecast, Antifrank.

They'll be disappointed if they don't win in Clacton, Rochester, South Thanet, Thurrock and Boston, so he's not really making himself a hostage to fortune. Otoh if things go well, he could probably nominate another half-dozen where they are in with a decent shout.

I reckon there's still a smidgeon of value in the Betfair Seats market, where it's about 7/4 against more than five seats. I reckon it's more of a 5/4 shot, which is probably what it will become if today's elections go well for them.

No news yet? I've been out of the 'office'.
  • Options

Good!!

OK presumably they're not going to stick anybody entering the country with a temperature in quarantine until they get the lab results back... Not to mention that if it looks like you could be denied entry to the country if symptoms are detected makes you want to hide symptoms from the authorities, so you've gone and turned what should be a helpful, cooperative situation (You want people with ebola to get medical attention, I don't want to die of ebola, we have the same goals, let's talk!) into an adversarial one (it's probably nothing, just need to hide it from you guys in case I get deported...)
    As a hopeless hypochondriac my forehead is starting to feel warm just thinking about it. Guess I should take some paracetamol so I don't get quarantined. [Don't worry English-folk, I'm visiting Scotland for the weekend]
  • Options

Good!!

Pandemic!

My brother has a copy - we've not lost to the virus yet. Have you played it?
  • Options
    FinancierFinancier Posts: 3,916
    Andrew Marr, the former BBC political editor and host of the Andrew Marr Show, said he would like to ban anyone being elected before the age of 40, to ensure they had to have "real life experience" first.

He added the political world he had entered as a young journalist had been full of politicians "who had done other things first", arguing it "really mattered" when representing the electorate.

Speaking at the Cheltenham Literature Festival, he condemned the state of modern politics, saying those in government had "lost a radical amount of power", with the "real power" being left to finance, global factors and the "mysterious world of PR"......

"When I started out I. Politics reporting, there were still Tories who had had a good war, built their own companies, had really good experience, knew the inside out of a balance sheet, had employed and sat and worried about profits.

"On the Labour side you had ex-miners, metal workers, ex-factory hands, ex-posties.

"So there were people all over the House of Commons who had done other things first and that really mattered.

"We've lost most of that gritty, real-world experience in the House of Commons.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/11150664/People-should-not-be-MPs-until-they-are-40-says-Andrew-Marr.html
  • Options
    Bond_James_BondBond_James_Bond Posts: 1,939
    edited October 2014
    ZenPagan said:

The argument that a Labour government will be all Cameron's fault, even though UKIP voters refuse to help him prevent one, is akin to arguing that it was all the pub's fault you drove home drunk.

Obviously you had to drive home with no regard for the consequences to the bus queue you took out. It was the pub's fault for selling you all that lager.

The most leftist thing about UKIP - and what may yet deliver them a few Labour votes - is a sincere and visceral conviction that everything is somebody else's fault and nothing is ever their own fault.
    UKIP hasn't attracted people from the conservatives directly it has attracted those who have already been driven away by disgust of your party. No one else to blame but the tory party and Cameron in particular
    For most people this argument fails because it is completely one-eyed. Cameron will be replaced, if he is, by Labour. Most people would agree, I think, that Cameron is more Conservative than Labour. Most would also agree, I think, that Miliband has moved his party much further to the left than has Cameron, although it is only the latter's supposed shift that enrages kippers.

Only a certain and unusual type of voter takes the view that if, because of me, I get Miliband instead of Cameron, that must be Cameron's fault. It's not; it's your fault for failing to take on board the above and letting it happen. You can't say you weren't warned.
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340

antifrank said:

The FT has a fairly routine report on the Clacton by-election, with one line of interest:

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/7b1f5e18-4fa0-11e4-a0a4-00144feab7de.html?ftcamp=published_links/rss/brussels/feed//product&siteedition=uk#axzz3FeQkVH1V

"Nigel Farage, the party leader, believes his party is on track to win about five MPs in the general election next May, including Thurrock, also in Essex."

They'll be disappointed if they don't win in Clacton, Rochester, South Thanet, Thurrock and Boston, so he's not really making himself a hostage to fortune. Otoh if things go well, he could probably nominate another half-dozen where they are in with a decent shout.

I reckon there's still a smidgeon of value in the Betfair Seats market, where it's about 7/4 against more than five seats. I reckon it's more of a 5/4 shot, which is probably what it will become if today's elections go well for them.

With a fair wind, my latest thoughts on UKIP will be out tonight or tomorrow morning.

I don't think I'm giving too much away if I say that the general conclusion will be that the Rochester & Strood by-election result is going to be the single most important piece of information that we are going to get about UKIP's general election prospects.
  • Options

Good!!

Pandemic!

My brother has a copy - we've not lost to the virus yet. Have you played it?
    Not personally but one of my work colleagues has it and we've mulled having a lunch-break game at our labs, but not got round to it yet!
  • Options
    john_zimsjohn_zims Posts: 3,399
    @Pulpstar

'There should be special measures in place for incoming flights from Sierra Leone, Liberia, Guinea at the very least - if we allow flights to come in from those countries at all right now. Not sure we should.'

If they really want to get this under control, a temporary ban on all flights out of those countries would be a big step forward,but it's not going to happen
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

Good!!

Presumably they could only screen flights from France since that seems to be where there are direct flights to Liberia etc.
  • Options
    edited October 2014

Pulpstar said:

Good!!

Tricky. There's this one from South Africa, which is the right general continent and will have black people on it, but it gets in at 5:40 in the morning - could you get a camera crew out of bed in time?
    http://www.flightstats.com/go/FlightStatus/flightStatusByAirport.do;jsessionid=72491F15978050E20F1AE02E03A481E1.web2:8009
  • Options
    antifrank said:

antifrank said:

With a fair wind, my latest thoughts on UKIP will be out tonight or tomorrow morning.

I don't think I'm giving too much away if I say that the general conclusion will be that the Rochester & Strood by-election result is going to be the single most important piece of information that we are going to get about UKIP's general election prospects.
    Yes. It's crucial.

• Options
    Since we are talking about Ebola, I am frankly surprised the CIA hasn't gone to Sierra Leon or Liberia, collected up large quantities of disregarded clothing from the victims of this dreadful disease and then dropped it into the relevant parts of Syria and Iraq. Such a policy worked well for the Spanish in Central America in the 16th and 17th century.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,783
    FalseFlag said:

Plato said:

Welcome to the Dark Side.

Anorak said:

So, after years of happily believing the consensus view on warming (i.e. it's happening), I'm beginning to waver a bit. Hard to explain stuff like this...

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2014/10/09/we_have_more_to_learn_says_scientist_antarctic_sea_ice_at_all_time_record/

I like The Register too, but it does have the 'denier' habit. I trust New Scientist more:
    http://www.newscientist.com/article/mg22329871.800-record-sea-ice-around-antarctica-due-to-global-warming.html#.VDaK_fldUac
    Climate Change is not simple, the scientists aren't in a global conspiracy. BTW the Earth isn't flat although it may appear so.
    I don't think educated Christian Europeans have believed the earth to be flat for a very long time.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Myth_of_the_Flat_Earth
    What about educated atheist Europeans?
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

Good!!

Tricky. There's this one from South Africa, which is the right general continent and will have black people on it, but it gets in at 5:40 in the morning - could you get a camera crew out of bed in time?
    http://www.flightstats.com/go/FlightStatus/flightStatusByAirport.do;jsessionid=72491F15978050E20F1AE02E03A481E1.web2:8009
    The advantage of that flight is that it will land before the Today programme starts at 6am, so you only need to rustle up one poor sod of a radio reporter.

You can get a camera crew in for a later flight and still catch the Breakfast News.
  • Options
    Our "part-ELBOW" for this week updated for YouGov 8th Oct (total 5 polls now):

Lab 34.0% (-1.6)
    Con 32.8% (+0.1)
    UKIP 14.7% (+0.3)
    LD 7.6% (+0.2)

Lab lead 1.2% (-1.7)

Note the Lab drop of 1.6% is only partly explained by the increases in the other main parties (Con barely up, in fact).
  • Options
    SocratesSocrates Posts: 10,322
    You definitely get incoming flights from Nigeria, as I've taken one from Lagos to Heathrow before.
  • Options
    john_zims said:

@Pulpstar

'There should be special measures in place for incoming flights from Sierra Leone, Liberia, Guinea at the very least - if we allow flights to come in from those countries at all right now. Not sure we should.'

If they really want to get this under control, a temporary ban on all flights out of those countries would be a big step forward,but it's not going to happen

You just have to hope you have human leukocyte antigen-B serotype b7 or b14. Higher chance of survival. If you have 67 or 15 you're toast.
  • Options
    New Thread
  • Options
    Socrates said:

You definitely get incoming flights from Nigeria, as I've taken one from Lagos to Heathrow before.

I think Nigeria is now Ebola-free:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ebola_virus_epidemic_in_West_Africa#Nigeria
  • Options
    ZenPaganZenPagan Posts: 689
    edited October 2014

ZenPagan said:

The argument that a Labour government will be all Cameron's fault, even though UKIP voters refuse to help him prevent one, is akin to arguing that it was all the pub's fault you drove home drunk.

Obviously you had to drive home with no regard for the consequences to the bus queue you took out. It was the pub's fault for selling you all that lager.

The most leftist thing about UKIP - and what may yet deliver them a few Labour votes - is a sincere and visceral conviction that everything is somebody else's fault and nothing is ever their own fault.
    UKIP hasn't attracted people from the conservatives directly it has attracted those who have already been driven away by disgust of your party. No one else to blame but the tory party and Cameron in particular
    For most people this argument fails because it is completely one-eyed. Cameron will be replaced, if he is, by Labour. Most people would agree, I think, that Cameron is more Conservative than Labour. Most would also agree, I think, that Miliband has moved his party much further to the left than has Cameron, although it is only the latter's supposed shift that enrages kippers.

Only a certain and unusual type of voter takes the view that if, because of me, I get Miliband instead of Cameron, that must be Cameron's fault. It's not; it's your fault for failing to take on board the above and letting it happen. You can't say you weren't warned.
    Frankly you response is bollocks.

I as a voter do not want to vote for someone because they are slightly less big state than labour. I want to vote for someone who is small state. Cameron is not for a small state merely for a less big state. If I was looking for a small pet would you wouldn't think me mad for rejecting an elephant on the grounds that it was smaller than a mammoth you would think it quite sane when I said no thanks to both and went away petless

in the same vein

I as a voter do not want to vote for someone because they will infringe on my civil liberties and free speech slightly less than labour I want to vote for a party that believes in civil liberties and actually supports them.

I as a voter do not want to vote for someone who will not let the debt grow quite as fast as labour I want to vote for someone who is serious about the deficit and then going after the debt.

Do not offer me your tawdry compromises I am not interested in you being slightly better than Labour is not good enough for me nor for a million like me anymore we do not want you, we will not vote for you. Want our votes go and earn them don't whinge at us for your incapacity to do so

• Options
    It would appear there are flights between Heathrow and Freetown/Heathrow and Monrovia operated by BA. As they fly into Terminal 5, presumably it would only be Terminal 5 passengers they would need to screen.
  • Options
    perdixperdix Posts: 1,806

Good!!

It won't work. It would be a political stunt to appease the hysterical population stirred up by the press just to sell papers ( yes DM, that includes you).

• Options
    sarissasarissa Posts: 1,860

antifrank said:

antifrank said:

antifrank said:

antifrank said:

The most different bit of the UK (by far) is London. Devomax for London, please.

Where do you draw the boundary of London, considering the large number of people who commute long distances to work there?
    Cross-border commuting is quite normal in many parts of the world. Should the people of Malmo have a vote in Denmark?
    Depends if taxation from Malmo is funding Denmark, or visa versa.

And that's where regionalism falls down. Unless it's a complete split, then tax receipts from one area will have to fund other areas, so no region is really in control of anything at all.
    Hence Devomax for London please.

It will be a shock to the system for the rest of the UK, but I'm sure they'd recover eventually.
    You're sounding like a Cybernat.
    Sadly, London doesn't have a Bannockburn to celebrate - it's given in to just about every army that ever got to its doorstep.
    Indeed. No one has ever been given the title Malleus Londinium either
    You can't hammer a sponge!
This discussion has been closed.