Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Is this is what is driving the Tory lead?

SystemSystem Posts: 11,700
edited October 2014 in General

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Is this is what is driving the Tory lead?

I’ve said before, polling on conference policies can be a lot like budget polling. Policies can get a lot of support in the immediate aftermath, but sometimes the boost in the VI fades, but the Tories will be delighted to enjoy plurality support for their two major conference policies.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    First!
  • Options
    hucks67hucks67 Posts: 758
    Can we trust these recent polls from YouGov ? They follow straight after a Tory conference and it may be expected by some that there should be a bounce after tax cuts were promised. If there was no bounce, then I expect the Tories and those that backed them would give up on winning the election.
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,787
    FPT:

Dave getting a proper "bounce" in YouGov:

Net "well"
    Cameron: -4 (+8)
    Miliband: -46 (-3)

And loads of internals showing upticks too.

On policy the 40p rate is net supported (+16), as is scrapping the HRA (+20).

On whether Conservatives in office would implement their policies - it's a mixed bag (net would):
    Increase personal allowance: +19
    Increase 40p threshold: +60
    Protect NHS from spending cuts: -20
    Hold referendum on EU: +10
    Build 100,000 homes: -13
    EVEL : +17

The UKIP defectors are seen as honourable:
    Switched because of beliefs: 47
    Switched to hang onto seat: 31
  • Options
    Innocent_AbroadInnocent_Abroad Posts: 3,294
    edited October 2014
    Doubtless they will play on these strengths.

It's not that surprising - the media present the Human rights Act as favouring "others" and in any polling about liberties and/or penal policy it must never be forgotten that the abolition of capital punishment is seen as oppression by the liberal élite of the wishes of the "plain man and woman" and this resentment may well be projected onto the actual subject of the poll. Indeed, I think we may count on UKIP proposing a referendum on capital punishment in their election manifesto.

As to reducing the tax rate, people don't really understand how taxation works. They just don't like it, so anything that sounds like there'll be less of it gets support.
  • Options
    I think Nick P is right when he says it is more the general feel of a party that drives voting intention than specific policies.

Compared with the aimlessness and uselessness of the Labour conference, the Conservative conference looked like a clear plan for government. The LibDems look in denial of electoral reality at theirs, and UKIP was just incoherent populism. As the months tick away dodging the bullet of the two Eds will look increasingly attractive to voters.
  • Options
    hucks67 said:

Can we trust these recent polls from YouGov ? They follow straight after a Tory conference and it may be expected by some that there should be a bounce after tax cuts were promised. If there was no bounce, then I expect the Tories and those that backed them would give up on winning the election.

ALL post-conference polls should be viewed in that context - following a week of (generally) favourable publicity for the party involved - so the 'base' should be 'some good news in the polls' - only after all the conferences are out of the way will things settle back to normal - and we see how permanent - or ephemeral - any post conference 'bounce' was.

In this context, Ed does not appear to have sustained a 'bounce' of any description.....
  • Options
    CD13CD13 Posts: 6,351
    A good week for the Tories, but how will thy convince the R&S voters to vote for them?

Say to Labour voters "You can't win here, so vote for your enemies at the next GE to give us a massive boost."

Say to Ukip voters "You're not very bright are you, vote for us you cretins." And "Vote Ukip, get Ed" doesn't work for this by election.

And how can Labour get tactical votes? Say to Tories exactly the same as the Tories say to Labpour voters (with as much chance of success)?

Perhaps the bookies have got this right?
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,927
    If the Conservatives do win the next election, then expectations on the part of their supporters will be very high. I wonder if they'll deliver.
  • Options

hucks67 said:

ALL post-conference polls should be viewed in that context - following a week of (generally) favourable publicity for the party involved - so the 'base' should be 'some good news in the polls' - only after all the conferences are out of the way will things settle back to normal - and we see how permanent - or ephemeral - any post conference 'bounce' was.

In this context, Ed does not appear to have sustained a 'bounce' of any description.....
    If the Tory lead is sustained for more than a few more days I may have to revisit my election prediction. A 10-pont Tory lead over Labour may well be too small...
  • Options
    GadflyGadfly Posts: 1,191
    Moving average chart of YouGov polls during the last 12 months...

http://www.mediafire.com/view/heaelbee9khye64/12-month YouGov.jpg#
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,137
    Why on earth would Tory policies that are popular now not still be popular in seven months time? Are they going to come under withering fire from Ed Miliband in the meantime?

The Tory conference did what was required. Labour's? Not so much...
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

If the Conservatives do win the next election, then expectations on the part of their supporters will be very high. I wonder if they'll deliver.

I doubt they'll deliver your brand of Toryism, Sean. There's still some way to go before that wins elections...

• Options
    MikeKMikeK Posts: 9,053
    As the two policies declared by Cammo are almost directly stolen from those mentioned at the UKIP conference, it's no wonder they are fairly popular.
  • Options
    IcarusIcarus Posts: 908
    Leicester Tigers have lost their last three matches badly. Inevitably there are calls for the chap in charge of the team, Richard Cockerill to go. There are reasons - we have had lots of injuries, the wind was strong yesterday etc. etc but another bad display next Friday and he will be gone.

The Labour Party may take bit longer, but another two months of Tory leads in the opinion polls will see surely see the end of the two Eds leadership. They lost the one battle that matters before May - who would win the 2014 conference. They have to go.
  • Options
    Paul_Mid_BedsPaul_Mid_Beds Posts: 1,409
    edited October 2014
    Baxter has this as C299, Lab313, Lib 11, others 27.

It has to be remembered that 9 of the others are Democratic Unionists or Ulster unionists who are from the right of the spectrum and five more are SF and won't vote:

Therefore the real picture is:

C & Fellow Travellers 308

Lab 313

Lib 11

Others 13

I think the problem for labour is that with the fixed term act and no election until next May, a lot of voters are still using opinion polls to express their verdict on the government rather than who their will vote for next time.

Edit that poll on baxter to give 1% extra to the tories at the expense of the liberals (37/34/6)and it becomes:

C & Fellow Travellers 317

Lab 303

Lib 11

Others 13

Edit that poll on baxter to give 4% extra to the liberals at the expense of labour ie (36/30/10) and it becomes:

C & Fellow Travellers 331

Lab 280

Lib 19

Others 15

Its beginning to look to me like a Tory win either with a minority or very small majority which will govern with supply and confidence (whether official or unofficial) from DUP and UKIP.

There is no doubt that this will drag UK politics significantly to the right (or to be more accurate back towards the centre from the left where even the tories are currently parked certainly on social issues) and not before time.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    MikeK said:

As the two policies declared by Cammo are almost directly stolen from those mentioned at the UKIP conference, it's no wonder they are fairly popular.

So come home.

Would you really burn the house down because you don't like the current tenant?
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    MikeK said:

Yes, I expect it only occurred to the Tories in the intervening handful of days....

You must be heartened to see Cameron's EU referendum pledge is trusted....
  • Options
    mattmatt Posts: 3,789
    Icarus said:

Leicester Tigers have lost their last three matches badly. Inevitably there are calls for the chap in charge of the team, Richard Cockerill to go. There are reasons - we have had lots of injuries, the wind was strong yesterday etc. etc but another bad display next Friday and he will be gone.

The Labour Party may take bit longer, but another two months of Tory leads in the opinion polls will see surely see the end of the two Eds leadership. They lost the one battle that matters before May - who would win the 2014 conference. They have to go.

The reason that they lost to Irish was a complete lack of imagination. Cockerill can take them 90% of the way there on hard work and playing to strengths. There's an analogy there....
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    @DPJHodges: Given this morning's papers, is it OK to criticise Ed Miliband now?
  • Options
    MikeKMikeK Posts: 9,053

MikeK said:

Not at all, and those Cammo pledges/policies, call them what you will, are not so subtly given 2018 dates for enactment. So far in the future that I don't believe a word the tory schemer says.
  • Options
    CD13 said:

A good week for the Tories, but how will thy convince the R&S voters to vote for them?

Say to Labour voters "You can't win here, so vote for your enemies at the next GE to give us a massive boost."

Say to Ukip voters "You're not very bright are you, vote for us you cretins." And "Vote Ukip, get Ed" doesn't work for this by election.

And how can Labour get tactical votes? Say to Tories exactly the same as the Tories say to Labpour voters (with as much chance of success)?

Perhaps the bookies have got this right?

The Tories just need to aim at Reckless and let the tactical voters sort themselves out. Whether UKIP have one or two MPs in the reamaining rump parliament maters little. What needs to be clear to defectors is that they are cutting themselves off everything they know and all support, that they will be person non grata and sitting with the Eds and Celtic nationalists on the opposing benches while the Tories plan the future of the country. In short Reckless and Carswell should be sent to Coventry for their disloyalty. The Tories look to have a much energised team from Newark, that could do with another workout before the real campaign starts in the spring.
  • Options
    Foxy [8.36am] Do you see any difference between disloyalty to the Tories and disloyalty to England?
  • Options
    TCPoliticalBettingTCPoliticalBetting Posts: 10,819
    edited October 2014
    The effect of Cameron's speech has at least bought himself a quieter time from Leadership speculation and the ability to absorb the Clacton loss. Ed Milliband's Omnishambles Speech is the gift that keeps on giving. It is clearly having a corrosive effect and eroding enthusiasm within Labour.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

Only if you are a major donor to the Labour Party:

http://www.thesundaytimes.co.uk/sto/news/Politics/article1467496.ece
  • Options
    audreyanneaudreyanne Posts: 1,376

hucks67 said:

If the Tory lead is sustained for more than a few more days I may have to revisit my election prediction. A 10-pont Tory lead over Labour may well be too small...
    I've been diffident about going down the landslide route on here for fear of being shouted down, but I actually think there is a chance of it for all sorts of reasons, and there may be some betting value there. A number of people should remember that hung parliaments are rarer than hen's teeth in this country. We are still 7 months out and a big Conservative win is far from out the question.
    Sean_F said:

If the Conservatives do win the next election

I love the meme change taking place on here. It has been a long time coming.
  • Options
    MikeK said:

MikeK said:

Not at all, and those Cammo pledges/policies, call them what you will, are not so subtly given 2018 dates for enactment. So far in the future that I don't believe a word the tory schemer says.
    Unfortunately, for you, the electorate do seem to trust him on most of his pledges, including the EU referendum one.....
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

Hodges was starting to look like a casualty at GE2015 but recent weeks has changed the picture.
  • Options
    FregglesFreggles Posts: 3,486

Scott_P said:

Hodges was starting to look like a casualty at GE2015 but recent weeks has changed the picture.
    Isn't he still on track to streak down Whitehall over the UKIP vote %?
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,360
    That's a good poll for the Tories and Cameron personally. We'll see soon whether it's maintained as the conference season recedes. One point not commented on below is that 40% of 2010 LibDems think it was "dishonourable" for the party to enter government with the Tories (and even 13% of the 7% still planning to vote LibDem agree). Tory voters think it was a jollly good idea, though.
  • Options
    PlatoPlato Posts: 15,724
    edited October 2014
    A bloody good leader and CoE - despite all the nay-saying. The economy is really making solid and at times impressive progress compared to our near rivals.

Cameron pulled a hutch full of rabbits out of his top hat and clearly convinced a lot of people that he's the man for the job. He delivers in spades when his back is against the wall. He does great set pieces like Bloody Sunday which was a minefield to navigate... that was widely acknowledged as perfectly pitched.

He's not perfect by any means, but then nobody is. I'll take him as PM and Party Leader any day than be saddled with some of his biggest critics within or without.

It's been a very long time since we had a good leader who looked and sounded the part. I really liked John Major and am rather protective about him. He was just too grey for many - though clearly if they actually paid attention to what he did more, they'd see that he was quite a dark horse [and I don't just mean Edwina].
  • Options

That's a good poll for the Tories and Cameron personally. We'll see soon whether it's maintained as the conference season recedes.

I'd say it's a reasonably good poll for the Tories and an excellent one for Cameron - we now have a strong Tory leader being held back by his party - and vice versa for Labour!
  • Options

That's a good poll for the Tories and Cameron personally. We'll see soon whether it's maintained as the conference season recedes. One point not commented on below is that 40% of 2010 LibDems think it was "dishonourable" for the party to enter government with the Tories (and even 13% of the 7% still planning to vote LibDem agree). Tory voters think it was a jollly good idea, though.

When your raisin d'être is coalition government, it's a statistic which has a certain resonance.
  • Options
    matt said:

When your raisin d'être is coalition government, it's a statistic which has a certain resonance.
    Ipad autocorrect....
  • Options
    Plato said:

A bloody good leader and CoE - despite all the nay-saying. The economy is really making solid and at times impressive progress compared to our near rivals.

Cameron pulled a hutch full of rabbits out of his top hat and clearly convinced a lot of people that he's the man for the job. He delivers in spades when his back is against the wall. He does great set pieces like Bloody Sunday which was a minefield to navigate... that was widely acknowledged as perfectly pitched.

He's not perfect by any means, but then nobody is. I'll take him as PM and Party Leader any day than be saddled with some of his biggest critics within or without.

It's been a very long time since we had a good leader who looked and sounded the part. I really liked John Major and am rather protective about him. He was just too grey for many - though clearly if they actually paid attention to what he did more, they'd see that he was quite a dark horse [and I don't just mean Edwina].

Plato, it's all right, you can admit you're jealous of Edwina. Just to us, of course...

• Options
    @faisalislam: So Yougov for Sunday times have small conservative lead for the second time: 36-34, Populus online poll showed Labour lead at 38-33

@faisalislam: But I'm far more intrigued re: how yougov went from +7 Labour (38-31) to +1 conservatives, in a day, the day of Cameron tax cut speech: 1/2

@faisalislam: And the answer we can now see because the poll data has been released lies with an extraordinary change in voting intentions of ex LibDems..
  • Options
    @faisalislam: Yougov poll shows that, in one day of PMs speech, 2010 ex LibDem voters wanting to vote Conservative > doubled http://t.co/5xrz284oXL
  • Options
    taffystaffys Posts: 9,753
    He delivers in spades when his back is against the wall.

Cameron turned the polls around with one speech on one day. Consider what he could do with two months of campaigning.

Meanwhile the labour critics are starting to get bolder and louder.
  • Options
    I'm not following you there.

Surely every HMG that's elected has high expectation laid upon it.

Clearly Mr Hollande sold his country a pack of lies, but they wanted to believe that economic gravity could be defied - a bit like Greece did a while ago.

I may be flattering our populace, but I don't think they'd elect the likes of Mr Hollande's prospectus here.

So, no I don't think that the expectations on a Tory Maj HMG would be any different to any other TBH. The election to supposedly lose was the last one. It's turned out not too badly for the Tories - but badly for the LDs. And the jury is out for Labour though they appear to have lost any Opposition advantage by failing to deal with their own wardrobe full of skeletons.
    Sean_F said:

• Options
    Well quite.

Why on earth would Tory policies that are popular now not still be popular in seven months time? Are they going to come under withering fire from Ed Miliband in the meantime?

The Tory conference did what was required. Labour's? Not so much...

• Options
    How fascinating. Pre conference everyone agrees the bleeding obvious - polls swing wildly during conference season. Then we have a pair of Tory lead polls and that rule gets immediately forgotten. We have had back to back Tory leads before, and then the status quo is restored.

Its going to be an awful blow for many of you when you regain your sense....
  • Options
    he poll data has been released lies with an extraordinary change in voting intentions of ex LibDems..

The lib dem switchers....are switching to the conservatives...????

Shome Mishtake Shurely???
  • Options
    @Icarus‌

I was thinking about Christmas yesterday and Jingle Bear - was that you? My memory is getting fuzzy.
    Icarus said:

• Options
    taffys said:

he poll data has been released lies with an extraordinary change in voting intentions of ex LibDems..

@faisalislam: "Lost LibDems" broke 37 Labour to 10 conservative when polled before cam speech, and then 29 Lab :23 con after it... http://t.co/cYoK1Rw9fS
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,061
    Off-topic:

A worrying end to the Japanese GP. Hope everyone's okay ...
  • Options
    SquareRootSquareRoot Posts: 7,095
    Greetings from Mallorca. The sky Ireland feed is focusing on Prezza kicking Ed in the unmentionables. What fun ... the poll is hilarious is Mike Smithson's bet with Dan Hodges safe? What was the bet cant recall exactly.....
  • Options
    "Lost LibDems" broke 37 Labour to 10 conservative when polled before cam speech, and then 29 Lab :23 con after it..

Hang on. Dave swerves to the right and takes some libs with him..???

Surely not.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,137
    I think the Conferences have given us a good insight into the 2015 election campaigns.

Tories: hungry to keep power, listening, prepared to be bold, but emphasizing that whilst progress is being made, the job is only part done - and Labour risks sending us backwards.

Labour:

*.....sound of tumbleweed blowing through.....*

I have been saying for many months on here that I think the campaign could really see the wheels fall off Labour - not just badly, but spectacularly. Once-in-a-generation badly. And that is fascinating for UKIP voters. Given Ed is so poor, I expect former Tory UKIP leaners to look at potential Prime Minister Ed Miliband and say "No, can't let that happen..." and go Tory on the day. And I expect former Labour UKIP leaners to look at potential Prime Minister Ed Miliband and say "No, can't let that happen..." and go UKIP on the day.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,927
    Plato said:

Cameron does well, when his back's to the wall. The problem is he let's things slip when the crisis is over.

Had he delivered that speech 5 years ago, and then followed through, I'm sure I'd still be a member of the party.
  • Options
    That 1% is electoral rocket fuel.

It has to be remembered that 9 of the others are Democratic Unionists or Ulster unionists who are from the right of the spectrum and five more are SF and won't vote:

Lab 313

Lib 11

Others 13

I think the problem for labour is that with the fixed term act and no election until next May, a lot of voters are still using opinion polls to express their verdict on the government rather than who their will vote for next time.

Edit that poll on baxter to give 1% extra to the tories at the expense of the liberals (37/34/6)and it becomes:

Lab 303

Lib 11

Others 13

Edit that poll on baxter to give 4% extra to the liberals at the expense of labour ie (36/30/10) and it becomes:

Lab 280

Lib 19

Others 15

Its beginning to look to me like a Tory win either with a minority or very small majority which will govern with supply and confidence (whether official or unofficial) from DUP and UKIP.

There is no doubt that this will drag UK politics significantly to the right (or to be more accurate back towards the centre from the left where even the tories are currently parked certainly on social issues) and not before time.

• Options
    The Tory conference was a gift to us. Punitive cuts to in work benefits for the grafting poor. £36bn a year of cits which will destroy what's left of public services and civic society. To pay for tax cuts for top earners. Personably I'd do very well off the 40p band move, but to do so off the backs of the poor is unconscionable. Ripping up human rights which even sane Tories like Grieve think is stupid. In short a programme to drive real fear for millions - sure Labour are being too timid. Happily the Tories aren't, and fear sells very well.
  • Options
    IcarusIcarus Posts: 908
    Plato,

Yes - had the grand children over from Oz last couple of weeks and JB has been out.

Anyone got a few £££s to relaunch Jingle Bear?

Sorry haven't been posting much - combination of depression about the (unfair) reaction to Lib Dems in Government and getting a job that I really enjoy.
  • Options
    @steve_hawkes: Lib Dem conference kicks off and we get flip flop number one. Nick Clegg ditches "crude" Mansion Tax in favour of more Council Tax bands
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    No, can't let that happen..." and go UKIP on the day.

Same in Scotland with SNP, too.

People on the left can't conceive of an 'anti labour' vote. But after the economic crash, Rotherham. Scottish votes for English laws, no EU referendum, slightly bigger house than yours tax....I think it is there.

the by-elections coming up will tell us more. Particularly the conservative and liberal vote in Heywood and Middleton.
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,763

The Tory conference was a gift to us. Punitive cuts to in work benefits for the grafting poor. £36bn a year of cits which will destroy what's left of public services and civic society. To pay for tax cuts for top earners. Personably I'd do very well off the 40p band move, but to do so off the backs of the poor is unconscionable. Ripping up human rights which even sane Tories like Grieve think is stupid. In short a programme to drive real fear for millions - sure Labour are being too timid. Happily the Tories aren't, and fear sells very well.

Yeah, the party that gets your kids raped in front of you is going to talk about the moral high ground.

#rumbled
  • Options
    Lord Noon really pulled no punches.

I loved his comment - along the lines of "Labour aren't talking about immigration, this is a mistake. I'm an immigrant and we're importing too many of the wrong sort".

What more of a push does EdM need here?

Scott_P said:

Only if you are a major donor to the Labour Party:

http://www.thesundaytimes.co.uk/sto/news/Politics/article1467496.ece
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,894

Lab 313

Lib 11

Others 13

Lab 303

Lib 11

Others 13

Lab 280

Lib 19

Others 15

Well go and make lots of money on Betfair which have the scenarios you outline as significantly less likely than a Lab plurality.
  • Options
    @BBCNormanS: Day 2 at #ldconf . The early morning rush http://t.co/LhEK2vCNuy
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,131
    edited October 2014
    NP Actually 24% of current Tories believe it was dishonourable for LDs to enter the Coalition compared to only 13% of current LDs. You are right on 2010 figures though, 26% of 2010 Tories believe it was dishonourable compared to 40% of 2010 LDs
    http://cdn.yougov.com/cumulus_uploads/document/8xpy43vlqr/YG-Archive-Pol-Sunday-Times-results-031014.pdf

What those figures show though is that current Tory and LD voters are more accepting of a renewed Tory LD deal than 2010 Tories and certainly 2010 LDs were
  • Options

Yeah, the party that gets your kids raped in front of you is going to talk about the moral high ground.

#rumbled
    We really are on the bottom half of the Internet, aren't we?

• Options
    TBH, I don't think Clacton really has much too worry him at all either way. Most Tories seem to think that Mr Carswell has made a mistake - but a heartfelt one and that he's a fairly honorable chap, but misguided.

He was always a stone in the shoe. Mr Reckless is a different kettle of fish, as many of us have noted.

It's never good to lose someone to a rival, but nor is it something to panic unduly over. If it'd turned into a Gang Of Four - I'd be concerned. It appears not since the £1m IOU press conference.

The effect of Cameron's speech has at least bought himself a quieter time from Leadership speculation and the ability to absorb the Clacton loss. Ed Milliband's Omnishambles Speech is the gift that keeps on giving. It is clearly having a corrosive effect and eroding enthusiasm within Labour.

• Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,889
    Morning all :)

As a non-Tory, I'm not surprised to see the Conservatives flocking back to the standard even though some of them have been pretty critical about Cameron in the past.

I heard a comprehensive demolition of the ECHR policy on LBC by that well-known rabid socialist Dominic Grieve (also supporting a British Bill of Rights which the LDs have backed for decades) while the tax policy is nowhere near as good as it sounds. There's no commitment on when this will happen and everyone assumes it will be in Osborne's Budget. My suspicion is it's an aim for the next Parliament rather than an immediate giveaway.

For a Party supposedly serious about tackling the deficit, it's curious to see this largesse though the amount involved isn't that significant. So on the one hand the Conservatives are keen to "give us our money back", on the other benefit claimants are going to be told what they can and can't spend their money on in a piece of appalling populist-driven authoritarianism.

The general assumption that benefit claimants are "scroungers" doesn't stand up to any kind of inspection. Many have worked hard and have suffered misfortune either through health, marital or addiction problems so even though they may have contributed through tax and NI for years they will be told how to spend "their" money.

Perhaps if the Tories want to make a real difference, they should tell pensioners not to waste their pensions on cat food, bingo and buying presents for the grandchildren.

Anyway, to far more substantive matters and this afternoon's Arc de Triomphe in Paris. I'm a big fan of the fillies (guffaw) and have backed AVENIR CERTAIN to win with an each-way saver on CHICQUITA at a big price.
  • Options

#rumbled
    You should be ashamed of that comment
  • Options

#rumbled
    We really are on the bottom half of the Internet, aren't we?

No the real pondlife is the pillocks who stand by and let it happen and attack anyone else for bringing it to light. When your politics has descended to the level where your party is more important than the people it claims to serve, it's time to wind the thing up.

• Options

#rumbled
    No you should be ashamed you let it happen for 10 years.
  • Options

Its going to be an awful blow for many of you when you regain your sense....

Not as big a blow as not having a leader who didn't get any discernible bounce at all....

Meanwhile, this number still staggers me - in Scotland

Which party leader do you trust most - Cameron is +6 vs Miliband.

Thats how useless Ed is - in Scotland a posh out of touch Tory is better trusted than the Labour leader.....
  • Options
    Go back to your constituencies, and prepare for...

@timsculthorpe: Conference has started. Attendance is not good for @joswinson #LDconf http://t.co/yHVSXU4wwu
  • Options
    I've just discovered the "flag" button... oh joy!
  • Options
    Dried fruit existentialism - made me chuckle
    matt said:

matt said:

Ipad autocorrect....
  • Options
    Hmmm, nope. I do rather like Edwina - she's so marvellously outspoken and funny.

I'd be more likely to run off with her than him. And that's not very likely at all.

Plato said:

Plato, it's all right, you can admit you're jealous of Edwina. Just to us, of course...

• Options
    stodge said:

There's no commitment on when this will happen and everyone assumes it will be in Osborne's Budget. .

No.

Its clear:

i) its in the next Parliament with a majority Con government
    ii) Once the deficit has been eliminated reduced - theres been a bit of fudge over this in the last few days.

Why would it not be the same as the delivered increase in personal tax allowance - implemented over the period of the Parliament?

• Options

#rumbled
    Well that says it all about you.

Go read your original post

If you think that is justified you are beyond contempt.

"The party that gets your kids raped in front of you"

• Options
    edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,151
    edited October 2014
    Sean_F said:

Cameron does well, when his back's to the wall. The problem is he let's things slip when the crisis is over.

There's another interpretation for the same evidence, which is that when his back's to the wall he has to trade strategic position for short-term headlines, which gets him through the crisis but ends up costing him later.

Specifically we've got the appearance of unfunded tax cut (*), which gives Labour a credible attack by saying it'll be paid for by putting up VAT, and something that's been spun as leaving the ECHR, but like the Cast Iron Promise, turns out not to be the way it's being spun when you check the small print.

(*) There probably isn't really much of an unfunded tax cut because a lot of it will just be walking forwards up the escalator as fast as inflation is carrying you backwards, but they can't really refute the claim that they'd put up other taxes to pay for it with, "No, our policy won't cost anything because it doesn't really cut your taxes".
  • Options
    Plato said:

Cameron pulled a hutch full of rabbits out of his top hat

Bloody hell, is the magic money tree producing rabbits now ???
  • Options
    I
    stodge said:

Morning all :)

As a non-Tory, I'm not surprised to see the Conservatives flocking back to the standard even though some of them have been pretty critical about Cameron in the past.

I heard a comprehensive demolition of the ECHR policy on LBC by that well-known rabid socialist Dominic Grieve (also supporting a British Bill of Rights which the LDs have backed for decades) while the tax policy is nowhere near as good as it sounds. There's no commitment on when this will happen and everyone assumes it will be in Osborne's Budget. My suspicion is it's an aim for the next Parliament rather than an immediate giveaway.

For a Party supposedly serious about tackling the deficit, it's curious to see this largesse though the amount involved isn't that significant. So on the one hand the Conservatives are keen to "give us our money back", on the other benefit claimants are going to be told what they can and can't spend their money on in a piece of appalling populist-driven authoritarianism.

The general assumption that benefit claimants are "scroungers" doesn't stand up to any kind of inspection. Many have worked hard and have suffered misfortune either through health, marital or addiction problems so even though they may have contributed through tax and NI for years they will be told how to spend "their" money.

To listen to them bang on about their long term economic plan you'd assume debt was lower than when they started, not 44% higher. The tax plan to cut my higher rate bill only kicks in after "balancing the books" with £36bn a year of cuts. Off their current record that's unachievable.

And yes, benefit claimants are scroungers and the Tories have made work pay. Except work doesn't pay, and the people getting their benefits capped are working. Which will make work pay even less.

There is a basic problem between the paper economy and the real economy. They keep saying aren't we all doing well. Yet income tax receipts are falling despite employment soaring. Why? Because 15% are now "self employed" enjoying an average wage of just over £10k. BoJo (for it is he) just signed off housing redevelopment at Mount Pleasant where you'd need a £100k salary to afford the mortgage for what he described as "affordable housing". So we have British people who can't afford to work, migration fills the hole, then people complain about migration. Yes, the economy is great! Go ask the supermarkets.....
  • Options
    It'll be interesting to see if that's maintained post-LD conference.

Will they be enticed home again - or not?
    Scott_P said:

@faisalislam: Yougov poll shows that, in one day of PMs speech, 2010 ex LibDem voters wanting to vote Conservative > doubled http://t.co/5xrz284oXL

• Options
    edited October 2014
    ''Thats how useless Ed is - in Scotland a posh out of touch Tory is better trusted than the Labour leader.....''

Labour supporters on here, doing their seat calculations, reckon on the SNP getting 6 seats next year.

That's despite a 12% swing against them in the latest polls. and a game changing referendum.

Completely, completely delusional.
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,889

stodge said:

There's no commitment on when this will happen and everyone assumes it will be in Osborne's Budget. .

No.

Its clear:

ii) Once the deficit has been eliminated reduced - theres been a bit of fudge over this in the last few days.

Why would it not be the same as the delivered increase in personal tax allowance - implemented over the period of the Parliament?

It may be clear to you but that's not how it's been reported. I suspect if you ask 100 people what they understand by the pledge on the tax rate, 99 will say they expect the threshold to be raised to £50k by Osborne in his next Budget.

The Tory media has jumped on this as a pre-election giveaway and this has, in my view, given the Conservatives a boost in the polls.

• Options

#rumbled

I'll sleep easy.
  • Options
    edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,151

MikeK said:

MikeK said:

Unfortunately, for you, the electorate do seem to trust him on most of his pledges, including the EU referendum one.....
    The hitch according to the previous polling has been that the minority who don't trust him on an EU referendum are the people who really, really want one...
  • Options
    It would be interesting to know how many days EdM has spent in London during the last four years compared to how many he has spent in Doncaster.

Talking to 'Gareth' and 'Beatrice' of Dartmouth Park shows a disinclination to leave the metroposh comfort zone.

EdM clearly didn't understand what the AV referendum told him - that the 'progressive majority' doesn't exist.
  • Options
    I really felt we'd got a winner when he was elected as leader and despite having a serious tiff with him over AGW and other stuff like Minimum Pricing and other Nanny State stuff - that hasn't changed.

He's dropped all the flirting with Guardian readers now and I think that's given his personal credo a boost. I always felt that he was trying to please them a little too hard, rather than being himself. He may still think AGW is legit - I can take that on the chin, the market has killed most of that off already.
    taffys said:

Cameron turned the polls around with one speech on one day. Consider what he could do with two months of campaigning.

• Options

#rumbled

I'll sleep easy.
    Good that proves the point
  • Options
    FlightpathFlightpath Posts: 4,012
    Sean_F said:

Plato said:

Had he delivered that speech 5 years ago, and then followed through, I'm sure I'd still be a member of the party.
    5 years ago there was this massive econiomic crisis if you remember and so the priority wa revenue. 5 years ago there was always the prospect of the ECHR producing sane decisions.
    In between those 5 years we have not had a tory govt but a coalition one.
  • Options
    stodge said:

stodge said:

No.

Its clear:

It may be clear to you but that's not how it's been reported. I suspect if you ask 100 people what they understand by the pledge on the tax rate, 99 will say they expect the threshold to be raised to £50k by Osborne in his next Budget.
    YouGov was clear in the question it asked today:

If the Conservatives win next year's general election, do you think they would or would not do each of the following by 2020?

Increase the threshold for paying income tax at 40p in the pound, from just under £42,000 a year to £50,000 a year - Net 'Would' +60%
  • Options

#rumbled

I'll sleep easy.
    Clearly troubling your conscience ?, The contrast between nice upper class Stellas Creasy, relation to the aristicracy and Oxbridge Political sciences getting justice and 1400 WWC victims seeing nowt just sums it up.
  • Options
    Hyperbole much? Do you have a placard with The End Is Nigh too?

• Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,063
    Plato said:

I really felt we'd got a winner when he was elected as leader and despite having a serious tiff with him over AGW and other stuff like Minimum Pricing and other Nanny State stuff - that hasn't changed.

He's dropped all the flirting with Guardian readers now and I think that's given his personal credo a boost. I always felt that he was trying to please them a little too hard, rather than being himself. He may still think AGW is legit - I can take that on the chin, the market has killed most of that off already.

taffys said:

Cuckoo
  • Options
    stodge said:

stodge said:

No.

Its clear:

The Tory media has jumped on this as a pre-election giveaway and this has, in my view, given the Conservatives a boost in the polls.

Exactly.

The imagery is helped by the 'economy bigger than before the recession' reports and the widespread belief that government debt is falling.

• Options
    FlightpathFlightpath Posts: 4,012
    taffys said:

Any rabid and pacifist anti Blair lefties have already switched to Labour - and in the course of which they press labour and Miliband down the route of old fashioned lefty socialism - so it should be no surprise that some LDs would for instance vote for a moderate centre right party in order to defeat a nasty extreme right wing crude populist party.
    It looks as if the Tories are established as the party to defeat Reckless and so we might well expect the LD vote to be squeezed and some from labour as well.
  • Options
    MikeSmithsonMikeSmithson Posts: 7,382
    taffys said:

''Thats how useless Ed is - in Scotland a posh out of touch Tory is better trusted than the Labour leader.....''

Labour supporters on here, doing their seat calculations, reckon on the SNP getting 6 seats next year.

That's despite a 12% swing against them in the latest polls. and a game changing referendum.

Completely, completely delusional.

Please would you list the SNP-LAB marginals which you say will switch?

I can count just 3 seats where the LAB lead over the SNP is less than 20%. In none of them is the lead less than 10%.

If you want to talk about things like this do it on the basis of facts.

• Options

MikeK said:

MikeK said:

The hitch according to the previous polling has been that the minority who don't trust him on an EU referendum are the people who really, really want one...
    Yes - the UKIP voter continues to be an outlier:

Would hold a referendum on EU - net:
    Con: +49
    Lab: -2
    LibD: +26
    UKIP: -41

In other matters such as tax allowances (+19) and thresholds (+47), UKIP voters are more trusting, on issues affecting sovereignty, such as EVEL (-17), they are not.

• Options

#rumbled

I'll sleep easy.
    Clearly troubling your conscience ?, The contrast between nice upper class Stellas Creasy, relation to the aristicracy and Oxbridge Political sciences getting justice and 1400 WWC victims seeing nowt just sums it up.
    You have a problem if you think "Yeah, the party that gets your kids raped in front of you" is an appropriate comment.

Not discussing any further.

Sleep Easy.
  • Options

#rumbled

I'll sleep easy.
    I don't expect Nick Griffin has a sleep problem, either.

• Options

#rumbled

I'll sleep easy.
    You have a problem if you think "Yeah, the party that gets your kids raped in front of you" is an appropriate comment.

Not discussing any further.

Sleep Easy.
    Ah yes you're from south yorks.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,131
    edited October 2014
    Stodge Obviously not as Osborne does not have a majority to do it at the moment with the LDs and certainly not until the deficit is solved, Cameron was quite clear he was promising the tax cuts on the basis of a Tory majority after the election
  • Options
    What will Vince say?

I thought he was terribly keen on it? And has been for years? We discussed how many £2m houses there were in his own constituency very many moons ago.
    Scott_P said:

@steve_hawkes: Lib Dem conference kicks off and we get flip flop number one. Nick Clegg ditches "crude" Mansion Tax in favour of more Council Tax bands

• Options
    Picking Glasgow seemed like asking for trouble.

Not the city - but the location for prospective attendees. Somewhere more central for the majority of their activist appeared to be a lot more realistic to get vital rare bums on seats.

If my Party were polling in the mid single digits - I'd not bother to drag myself to Glasgow either. It must be very disheartening for their supporters. I feel a bit sorry for them.
    Scott_P said:

@BBCNormanS: Day 2 at #ldconf . The early morning rush http://t.co/LhEK2vCNuy

• Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,002
    Good morning, everyone.

Just writing the post-race piece. Interesting race. Not sure I'd call it a classic, but it had its moments.
This discussion has been closed.