Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Survation poll on Heywood and Middleton has a comfortable L

SystemSystem Posts: 11,692
edited October 2014 in General

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Survation poll on Heywood and Middleton has a comfortable Labour hold

I think Labour will be relieved, UKIP will be delighted with the increase, that they can do well in traditional Labour heartlands and that they aren’t just disgruntled Tories.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    surbitonsurbiton Posts: 13,549
    edited October 2014
    So there goes UKIP's North strategy !

Also, Labour is first !!
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,857
    New thread? But what about the locals? UKIP getting a double win over the Conservatives (deemed possible in the header) would be amusing on the first crossover in a long time, even if that poll may be a flash in the pan.

Also, who are these people continuing to turn away from the LDs when 6 months ago they were still willing to support them?
  • Options
    GrandioseGrandiose Posts: 2,323
    The Tories will be pleased at every poll that puts them ahead, not just because it suggests they are ahead, but because it suggests that it is doable: that fundamentally there are enough people who have not made up their minds but could be convinced.
  • Options
    Let me recap my Crossover rules: At least, 3 successive polls showing a lead for a party which previously were not in the lead.
  • Options
    Some PBers have made a decent chunk of money on cross over happening h2/q4 of 2014
  • Options
    I had thought with some of these by-elections that the LDs might as well save themselves any token campaigning effort and deposit fee and just not put up a candidate, but if they could actually hold onto their deposit, which looks just about in reach, I guess that's something, if not exactly great news.

UKIP will be satisfied with the big increase and the chance to say the Tory vote prevented them from winning, not the other way around, but it would have been interesting to see Labour actually threatened. Their seats to vote ration could be ridiculous.
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,829
    That was one hell of a speech Cameron delivered...
  • Options
    Lib Dems on 6. SIX!
  • Options
    An omen for the 2015 campaign?

Lots of Ed and lots of Dave = increases in the Tory vote and a decrease in Labour's vote.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,053
    UKIP/Con coalition now a real outside bet, though Tory-LD Coalition remains my predicted outcome
  • Options
    SpeedySpeedy Posts: 12,100
    If the Tories are ahead with UKIP losing no support, the so call Vote Nigel get Ed isn't true anymore.
    Also there seems there is little the Tories can do to shift that 15% who vote UKIP towards them.
    On the basis of this, it's good news for Mr. Reckless.
  • Options
    philiphphiliph Posts: 4,704
    surbiton said:

Let me recap my Crossover rules: At least, 3 successive polls showing a lead for a party which previously were not in the lead.

From the same pollster of 3 consecutive polls?
  • Options
    surbiton said:

Cunning. Should be safe.
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    Looking at the Heywood poll: what has happened to the Lib Dems ? It is difficult to believe that 40 years of hard work has gone down the toilet !

Frankly, I do not believe all these "local" strength stories. Numbers finally begins to tell it's own story.
  • Options
    When I said Labour would have a double digit lead tonight, I was obviously talking about the Heywood poll.
  • Options
    JohnOJohnO Posts: 4,215
    Might the Tories have a larger lead with Populus tomorrow? Their polls seem more favourable to the blues than YouGov's.
  • Options
    Dont you think the headline should be Tories overturn a lab lead of 7% to a -1 in just one week for Labour?
  • Options
    Frankly that YG could have been a lot worse for Labour. Along with Heywood poll it implies mid 30s is pretty attainable for them next year.
  • Options
    Will Labour trolls just squirrel!!! away a possible outlier? Or will they conflate themselves with 'da fulk fom Sixfungunshire' and call themselves 'native Luhnduhnahs'...?

:too-early-to-tell:
  • Options
    Yeah, nothing major happens when Mike goes on holiday.
  • Options
    I predict in a week, back to 3-4 point lead for Labour....

The thing I think it does show, actually I think any lead is very soft, and I wouldn't be surprised if come the GE we end up with 34/36 or 35/35, but I can't see how the Tories are going to get to that 6+% lead they need (especially as Tories are still a total write off Scotland and North East) and UKIP will hoover up a decent % of right wing votes.
  • Options

Frankly that YG could have been a lot worse for Labour. Along with Heywood poll it implies mid 30s is pretty attainable for them next year.

Someone said Ed would walk into power on, say, 35%. In reality he will *fall* into power.
  • Options
    One Labour chap has just asked me, should he be worried that Labour are only gaining votes where they already have MPs?
  • Options
    tysontyson Posts: 6,050
    @Nigel4England
    From the previous thread....

Have you considered Elba too? Is very easy to get to from Pisa- go to nearby Livorno and take an hour's ferry, you can combine it with Tuscany (Florence, Sienna, Lucca), and in May or September is better value with some good hotel deals, and of course quieter- and the weather is great then. Plus Pinosa- a nearby ex Prison island is one of the most beautiful and unspoilt Islands in the world. Crystal blue seas full of fish. And the food.....the Maremma whites that polish the fish down nicely. Take a leisurely seafood tasting lunch menu with 1.5 bottles of white (1 isn't enough) after a morning on the beach- you will never nap better and wake up so refreshed to start again in the evening. Bliss. The perfect day.

That said, Sardinia is pretty damn special- all of it, and Sicily is magical. And neither are expensive- unless you go to Porto Cervo in Sardinia which is full of the most ridiculously unstylish Ruskies.

Sod the bus passes, the politicians should have offered OAP's two weeks at an Italian seaside resort, food and drink included. Would have saved the NHS a fortune.
  • Options
    JohnO said:

Might the Tories have a larger lead with Populus tomorrow? Their polls seem more favourable to the blues than YouGov's.

Isn't Populus the one that's better for the Blues on Monday?
  • Options

Mid between 30 and 35. Scotland will stop them climbing much above that.
  • Options
    philiph said:

surbiton said:

From the same pollster of 3 consecutive polls?
    Any poster ! Otherwise, it could take months ! This is no cunning plan. If the Tories were to take a "permanent" lead , it will be apparent pretty quickly. However, one isolated lead and then back to norm, should not count as a Crossover seriously.
  • Options

One Labour chap has just asked me, should he be worried that Labour are only gaining votes where they already have MPs?

Did he really need help in working out the answer to that?
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,610

Dont you think the headline should be Tories overturn a lab lead of 7% to a -1 in just one week for Labour?

No, the by election has more betting opportunities, though a lot of people here will get paid out on the crossover with YouGov bet from PP.
  • Options

No, they are gaining votes in all seats, a small number of votes in most seats but quite a large number in LD seats.
  • Options
    philiph said:

He's what I call a pessimist.
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,883

In one day I think.

Wheras next week Tories lose the lead and Clacton By-Election

LAD regain the lead and win in H&M methinks
  • Options
    JohnOJohnO Posts: 4,215
    Grandiose said:

JohnO said:

Isn't Populus the one that's better for the Blues on Monday?
    No. Fridays used to be better for the Tories but not now. Anyway, Monday's Labour lead was 2%.
  • Options

I thought they were polling well in Con marginals as well?

• Options
    Speedy said:

If the Tories are ahead with UKIP losing no support, the so call Vote Nigel get Ed isn't true anymore.
    Also there seems there is little the Tories can do to shift that 15% who vote UKIP towards them.
    On the basis of this, it's good news for Mr. Reckless.

I think Reckless is the rare UKIP candidate who could lose due to his "personal" vote. Apparently, he is not too popular himself !
  • Options
    FrankBoothFrankBooth Posts: 9,047
    The Tories with a poll lead with the Lib Dems down to 6%. At least a possible silver lining to a Tory poll lead with the Lib Dems falling even further is the party will surely go beserk at its conference. I can't understand why they all behave like lemmings marching towards the edge of the cliff
  • Options
    kle4 said:

I thought they were polling well in Con marginals as well?

Yeah, I've reassured him of that, and that Ed will be a star in the general election campaign.
  • Options

philiph said:

He's what I call a pessimist.
    Pity. I was hoping he would be a realist.
  • Options

Lib Dems on 6. SIX!

Given the party's proclivity I am confident that 'Six-of-Sex' is a Lordship (be it past, present, or future)! Humble be dhimmie women.... :(

:lord-have-mercy:
  • Options
    TSE - You're doing an OGH on us with this new thread - the BIG STORY tonight has to be the Tories' first YouGov Westminster VI lead in yonks.
    Get out that Technicolor Blue for the bar chart without delay.
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,352
    edited October 2014
    Tonight's YouGov must be an outlier! :)

BTW Lord Ashcroft's poll earlier in the week actually shows a Con majority too, if you look at the tables.

Con 32
    Lab 31
    UKIP 16
    LD 9

TSE can you concur?
    http://lordashcroftpolls.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/09/ANP-140929-Full-tables.pdf
  • Options
    JohnO said:

That is true, if on a normal day yougov have Labour ahead by 5 and populus has them level, I do expect at least a small Tory lead with populus tomorrow.
  • Options
    PlatoPlato Posts: 15,724
    Spot on. It's Hope.
    Grandiose said:

The Tories will be pleased at every poll that puts them ahead, not just because it suggests they are ahead, but because it suggests that it is doable: that fundamentally there are enough people who have not made up their minds but could be convinced.

• Options
    SO Neil Kinnock got 34% in 1992, as one of our greatest former Prime Ministers and one of Ed's keenest supporters he will be very pleased his protégé is following in his footsteps
  • Options

TSE - You're doing an OGH on us with this new thread - the BIG STORY tonight has to be the Tories' first YouGov Westminster VI lead in yonks.

"ONLY the Tories can beat Ed at the General Election!"
  • Options
    @Speedy

"On the basis of this, it's good news for Mr. Reckless."

That's the main betting pointer I would read into these two polls.

UKIP won't take Heywood but it looks like they will run a decent second with the rest nowhere. That suggests a pretty decent general level of support, enough to carry Reckless over the line in due course.

The YouGov poll is good for Dave, but not good enough to shift the odds more than a decimal point or two. He really needs to follow up with solid by-election results next week, but that's not looking very likely on the latest figures.
  • Options
    FPT

antifrank said:
    » show previous quotes
    It's one poll, in the middle of conference season. Let's have a look in a month's time.

If David Cameron has anyone to thank for this polling bump, he might want to think about thanking Nigel Farage, who in his determination to upstage the Tory party conference ensured that quite a few more people were paying attention to it than would usually be the case.

That's rather mean-spirited of you antifrank - how about giving giving himself a huge pat on the back for the best party leader's speech for a generation?

Anyway, its double Yippee from me as it's finally time for Paddy Power to pay up, a year after I placed my bet on a Tory lead in H2 2014.
    There fizzy stuff around in this part of South West London tonight, I can tell you!
  • Options
    Absolutely.

What I felt worked especially was the way it was sliced up into soundbite sized chunks. Not just a couple of lines - but very short paragraphs that summed up a point made succinctly.

Much better than EdM's peculiar meter / full of / odd / pauses for / effect / so that you / forget / what / the point / was.
    GIN1138 said:

• Options

The Tories with a poll lead with the Lib Dems down to 6%. At least a possible silver lining to a Tory poll lead with the Lib Dems falling even further is the party will surely go beserk at its conference. I can't understand why they all behave like lemmings marching towards the edge of the cliff

They've tried being good coalitionistas, they've tried differentiation - nothing has worked, and even the stable 9-10s are a thing of the past. Now I suspect it is in denial of the polls mode, and taking solace that they have held up better in various enclaves around the country, and hoping UKIP split the Tory vote enough in many Con-LD marginals to keep 30ish MPs, even though the level of the drop is putting even that hope at risk. Fatalistic, in a word.

What interests me is that Clegg and co will surely be ousted post 2015 (though he's proven me wrong so far, although my latest latest prediction of when he would go was end of 2014, so there's time), but many of that ilk might be among the MPs left, and a higher proportion than they were before, which will be awkward.

• Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    edited October 2014
    It looks like Ed isn't going to win a majority. If he's not ahead now there's not much chance of him being ahead in 7 months' time. I'd bet quite a large sum that he won't reach 326 seats.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

SO Neil Kinnock got 34% in 1992, as one of our greatest former Prime Ministers and one of Ed's keenest supporters he will be very pleased his protégé is following in his footsteps

You know if Labour still get 34% they will still be largest party, even if somehow the Tories lose not a single vote from 2010.
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    It does appear the Lib-Dems might be facing meltdown...
  • Options
    corporealcorporeal Posts: 2,549
    Plato said:

Absolutely.

What I felt worked especially was the way it was sliced up into soundbite sized chunks. Not just a couple of lines - but very short paragraphs that summed up a point made succinctly.

Much better than EdM's peculiar meter / full of / odd / pauses for / effect / so that you / forget / what / the point / was.

GIN1138 said:

Speeches are only slightly written for listeners now. Mostly they're for 10 seconds clips on the news.
  • Options
    tysontyson Posts: 6,050
    SeanT said:

fpt Sean f

I LOVE Naples, it is my favourite Italian city - partly because its bad reputation chases away the tourists.

The Capodimonte is one of THE great art galleries in the world, yet it is virtually empty, because everyone comes to Naples and heads immediately, in terror, for Pompeii and Capri etc. You can be alone with one of the very greatest Caravaggios, f*ck, you can be alone in entire districts, dating back 3000 years.

It's not for everyone. It is sketchy, in parts. I adore it.

Every time I visit another part of Italy I always think it is my favourite. As I often tell my whinging Italian friends who are constantly complaining about the terrible state of affairs- they can't have their Italian, weather, cities, art, mountains, seaside, wildlife, history, food, wine, coffee, style- all taken for granted in Italy- they can't have all that and have Scandanavian public services, German Govt and British TV. Life isn't that unfair.
  • Options
    FrankBoothFrankBooth Posts: 9,047
    I didn't watch any of the party conference speeches as there's hardly a British politician I want to listen to. From what I could tell Miliband didn't do very well and it's about time Labour ended its infatuation with American-style politics. Why is there this assumption that what works stateside will work here? Does Mr Axelrod understand British voters?
  • Options
    philiph said:

Mid between 30 and 35. Scotland will stop them climbing much above that.

They'll get no more than 35%.

• Options
    chestnutchestnut Posts: 7,341
    edited October 2014
  • Options
    chestnut said:

Lib Dems on 6. SIX!

Oddly enough, I think this poll might be good for the Lib Dems.

Once a narrative is established that Labour won't win, they can play the line that "we're strong round here, stop the Tories".
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

It does appear the Lib-Dems might be facing meltdown...

Calm down, I analyzed the LD constituency polls (24 of them know) and I found that the LD will lose only 28 seats.
  • Options
    Lord Ashcroft ‏@LordAshcroft

The Heywood & Middleton poll tonight is fascinating. Will do one myself methinks.....
  • Options
    Well the morning thread was going to be about Scotland....

Now, what is a boy to do?
  • Options
    corporealcorporeal Posts: 2,549
    kle4 said:

They've tried being good coalitionistas, they've tried differentiation - nothing has worked, and even the stable 9-10s are a thing of the past. Now I suspect it is in denial of the polls mode, and taking solace that they have held up better in various enclaves around the country, and hoping UKIP split the Tory vote enough in many Con-LD marginals to keep 30ish MPs, even though the level of the drop is putting even that hope at risk. Fatalistic, in a word.

What interests me is that Clegg and co will surely be ousted post 2015 (though he's proven me wrong so far, although my latest latest prediction of when he would go was end of 2014, so there's time), but many of that ilk might be among the MPs left, and a higher proportion than they were before, which will be awkward.

The conference bumps will shake themselves out as they do every year.

Not that that leaves us in a very cheerful position anyway.
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

It looks like Ed isn't going to win a majority. If he's not ahead now there's not much chance of him being ahead in 7 months' time. I'd bet quite a large sum that he won't reach 326 seats.

He will get most seats I reckon but his Crapness is going to make it close re overall maj IMO
  • Options
    Can we now refer to Ed Miliband's speech as .......... The Omnishambles Speech?
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    AndyJS said:

I've been saying that for years.

Hung Parliament is obviously odds on - Question is will it be Con most votes and seats? Or Lab most votes and seats? Of some other combination (Con most votes, Lab most seats, etc...)

It's also possible we could get pretty much a "tied" outcome (say both on 290) with the Lib-Dems not holding enough seats to form a coalition with anybody - Pick the bones out of that one! ;)
  • Options

How about coalitions?
    At these numbers it is likely there can be no coalition between the largest parties and the LD, so how can they get a governing majority and with whom?
  • Options
    hunchmanhunchman Posts: 2,591
    Am glad that a lot of people have cottoned onto the dramatic sea change Westminster VI in Scotland next May. This gives you an insight into what could happen, although far from perfect:

http://www.electoralcalculus.co.uk/conlist_scot.html

The number of 3 way marginals there is frightening to put it mildly. I can't wait for the drama that Scotland is likely to provide in 7 months time, particularly if it deprives Miliband of a majority.

As for tonight's poll, already Cameron's claim of go to bed with Farage, wake up with Miliband is proven not to be true. Lets see where it all settles down again in a fortnights time, including Scotland.
  • Options
    Speedy said:

You know if Labour still get 34% they will still be largest party, even if somehow the Tories lose not a single vote from 2010.

Their vote is becoming less efficient.

Racking up bundles in places they've already won - like Heywood and Middleton - while losing seats in places where they poll 30%+ - like Scotland.
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

AndyJS said:

I've been saying that for year.

Hung Parliament is obviously odds on - Question is will it be Con most votes and seat? Or Lab most votes and seats? Of some other combinations (Con most votes, Lab most seats, etc...)

It's also possible we could get pretty much a "tied" outcome (say both on 290) with the Lib-Dems not holding enough seats to form a coalition with anybody - Pick the bones out of that one! ;)
    Con minority government, go to the polls in six months.
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

So would I, Andy, and I have.

I've also bet that DC won't either.

• Options
    The irony is that this poll has probably arrived too late to be included in UKPR's averages by tomorrow morning and thereby to be reflected in Strphen Fisher's next GE 2015 Seats Projection, due to be issued early tomorrow.
    Without this, he's likely to be showing quite Labour taking quite a marked lead.
    Something for him to contemplate over his cornflakes perhaps?
  • Options
    That Lord Ashcroft is a top banana.
  • Options
    Speedy said:

How about coalitions?
    At these numbers it is likely there can be no coalition between the largest parties and the LD, so how can they get a governing majority and with whom?
    Exactly...and I would be surprised if Labour get up as high as 35% with their situation in Scotland. People forget just what a high watermark for Labour was 42% in Scotland in 2010 - through a combination of fear of a Tory government, and the feeling that Gordon was being set upon by the London press.
  • Options
    Danny565Danny565 Posts: 8,091
    edited October 2014
    Comparisons with Kinnock are way too flattering for Ed. Anything close to the 11.5m votes Kinnock got in 1992 would give Ed a handsome majority (actually that number of votes was greater than two of Blair's "victories" too), but Ed doesn't have that kind of appeal.
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

AndyJS said:

Hung Parliament is obviously odds on - Question is will it be Con most votes and seats? Or Lab most votes and seats? Of some other combination (Con most votes, Lab most seats, etc...)

Why fret about the details?

NOM should be odds on, but it isn't. Take it.

• Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,482
    That great bar of red represents a sea of lost benighted souls, just waiting to hear the gospel according to St Nigel.
  • Options
    edited October 2014

He will get most seats I reckon but his Crapness is going to make it close re overall maj IMO

The Panelbase Scotland poll predicted 7 losses. The two Welsh polls predict a gain of 2.

So, Ed needs to win 73 in England.

It isn't happening.

The best he can hope for is more than Cameron.
  • Options
    More The Freudian Forgetfulness Speech for me.

I still can't get over that he left the deficit out. Just stunning subconscious stuff going on there.

And then claiming he forgot. As Cameron pointed out, you forget your car keys or your homework - not BILLIONS.

Can we now refer to Ed Miliband's speech as .......... The Omnishambles Speech?

• Options

That Lord Ashcroft is a top banana.

I think his Lordship forgot to add 50% of the Don't know/refusers who did vote in 2010 "back" to their parties. Table 3 is without this adjustment.
  • Options
    FlightpathFlightpath Posts: 4,012

yes it nis a big story but this sort of thing does happen at conferences and it may well change. The conference story is surely not a bounce for cameron but the lack of one for Miliband.

The Middleton poll however surely has great significance in that it implies that the public are squeezing the parties they think stand in the way of stopping UKIP. The tory vote could disappear altogether and it would be meaningless if it went to Labour. The bulk of the LD GE2010 vote must have gone to propping up Labour.
  • Options
    JonathanDJonathanD Posts: 2,400
    For the Tories to be on 35% with YouGov is not that uncommon, what's unusual is for Labour to be as low as 34%. So more of a Labour slump than Tory surge.
  • Options
    Stella Creasey!
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

AndyJS said:

I'd love to see the drama over such an outcome. It would make the 3 or 4 days to put the coalition together seem like childs play as a comparison! And it would make a fitting argument for those of us who wished Scotland to go independent to avoid all that chaos.
  • Options
    Stella Creasy blathering on, saying bugger all on QT.

• Options
    corporeal said:

kle4 said:

Well, keep your chins up I guess. I cannot say I feel very motivated to vote LD, but since my vote doesn't matter in a safe seat, I'll probably end up voting for then by default come May or out of sympathy. For all their successes UKIP will not be a substantively sized third party, which I'm in favour of whoever it ends up being in decades to come (though hopefully we could have 4 or more by them, if only), so I guess I can lend moral support in the form of the popular vote share. Maybe.
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    Lets make a scenario:
    On electoral calculus with this poll we have LAB 316, CON 296, LD 11, SNP 6, PC 3.
    Practically the LD are going to hold an extra 10 seats from the Tories and UKIP are probably going to elect 10 MP's too all of them from the Tories, also the SNP is going to gain a few LD and Labour seats lets say 3 from each , so the eventual number would be LAB 313, CON 276, LD 18, SNP 12, UKIP 10, PC 3.

Now lets try to form a long term stable coalition with these numbers.
  • Options
    JonathanD said:

For the Tories to be on 35% with YouGov is not that uncommon, what's unusual is for Labour to be as low as 34%. So more of a Labour slump than Tory surge.

Actually the last time YG had Tories on 35 or more was back in August.
  • Options
    ArtistArtist Posts: 1,882
    JonathanD said:

I was hoping YouGov would release the tables early, could be a move for some Labour voters from Labour to Don't Know.
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    Speedy said:

How about coalitions?
    I guess that 'rainbow coalition' idea from 2010 will have to be dusted off. SNP-Lab-LD? That'd be fun given Lab losing seats to one and taking off seats from the other.

I'm guessing Lab on 327 though
  • Options
    corporeal said:

kle4 said:

The progression, I assume, is for the Tory bounce to increase into early next week, as I don't think they reach maturity this quickly, and then subside. Labour will return to the lead, but may be in the 2 to 3 point rather than 3 to 4.

What this shows is how soft support is. This is the effect from 3 days of set piece promotion, to which very little public attention is paid, and very few media hours are expended (in comparison to an election campaign). An election is 4 weeks. There is all to play for and no result of Labour or Tory most / least / majority can be discounted yet.
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340

FPT

antifrank said:
    » show previous quotes
    It's one poll, in the middle of conference season. Let's have a look in a month's time.

If David Cameron has anyone to thank for this polling bump, he might want to think about thanking Nigel Farage, who in his determination to upstage the Tory party conference ensured that quite a few more people were paying attention to it than would usually be the case.

That's rather mean-spirited of you antifrank - how about giving giving himself a huge pat on the back for the best party leader's speech for a generation?

Anyway, its double Yippee from me as it's finally time for Paddy Power to pay up, a year after I placed my bet on a Tory lead in H2 2014.
    There fizzy stuff around in this part of South West London tonight, I can tell you!

I thought it was meaner to Nigel Farage!

I shall be kinder. David Cameron gave a technically quite outstanding speech yesterday. It was probably his best ever, in circumstances where giving a great speech was really important.

It's entirely possible that if he'd given a forgettable speech we'd have seen another defection last night to UKIP. The Conservatives would then have looked marooned by the maroons and heading for near-certain defeat.

Yesterday really mattered. And David Cameron really rose to it, giving as good a personal credo as I can recall any Prime Minister giving.

From a Conservative perspective, it is absolutely essential that they now hammer home their message day after day until May 2015. That is something that they have by and large failed to do for the last few years. Perhaps they will sharpen up their act on this front. Perhaps.
  • Options
    Speedy But with no mandate at all, any case with the UKIP factor and the low LD vote I think UNS is much more variable than the headline figure. If Labour lacks a majority and is behind on popular vote the LDs and UKIP could well prop up the Tories
  • Options
    Fascinating debate on where the cuts can be made.

I vote for oldies to take their share of the pain
  • Options

The irony is that this poll has probably arrived too late to be included in UKPR's averages by tomorrow morning and thereby to be reflected in Strphen Fisher's next GE 2015 Seats Projection, due to be issued early tomorrow.
    Without this, he's likely to be showing quite Labour taking quite a marked lead.
    Something for him to contemplate over his cornflakes perhaps?

Would be ironic to make a bold prediction based on a poll on Thursday just for the same pollster to show the opposite by Monday.
    That's why I advise patience.
  • Options
    murali_smurali_s Posts: 3,040
    So, what's the value bet now?

Con most votes, Lab most seats?

Mixed polls for Lab - good one for H&M, poor YouGov
  • Options
    I think Trident will have to go too
  • Options
    welshowlwelshowl Posts: 4,460
    kle4 said:

Speedy said:

How about coalitions?
    I guess that 'rainbow coalition' idea from 2010 will have to be dusted off. SNP-Lab-LD? That'd be fun given Lab losing seats to one and taking off seats from the other.

I'm guessing Lab on 327 though
    What if the SNP win 25 seats and won't vote on English matters in a photo finish. That'd be fun.
  • Options
    Given Miliband's track record, I think its hard to see him not putting his foot in it in a very big way at some point over a 4 week campaign. Even if Labour start off with a lead, I can't see anything other than a net movement away from them over the course of the GE campaign.
  • Options
    david_herdsondavid_herdson Posts: 17,419
    kle4 said:

New thread? But what about the locals? UKIP getting a double win over the Conservatives (deemed possible in the header) would be amusing on the first crossover in a long time, even if that poll may be a flash in the pan.

Also, who are these people continuing to turn away from the LDs when 6 months ago they were still willing to support them?

YouGov did revise their methodology not too long ago which had an adverse effect as far as the Lib Dems were concerned and a positive one for UKIP. That said, the Lib Dems' shares have fallen with all pollsters and you have to wonder if it's just a matter of time before one of them publishes a poll with the Lib Dems on 5% for the first time since 1990.
  • Options
    Danny565Danny565 Posts: 8,091
    Hmph. Even as someone who was called a "deficit denier" on PB a few weeks ago, I agree with all 3 of the suggestions for cuts made on Newsnight (cuts to public-sector pay, pensions and Trident).
This discussion has been closed.