Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The Tories become the favourites in the Rochester by-electi

SystemSystem Posts: 11,692
edited October 2014 in General

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The Tories become the favourites in the Rochester by-election

PaddyPower now make the Cons favourite to win the Rochester by-election. UKIP evens, CON 5/6

http://t.co/1j2fiIYXxK pic.twitter.com/mgbt8ZGZNA

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,782
    edited October 2014
    Double First!
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    Perhaps Ukip should change their candidate - Farage to stand and win ?
  • Options
    MikeSmithsonMikeSmithson Posts: 7,382
    Re Scottish polling from last thread

The only full post-referendum Scottish Westminster voting survey since the IndyRef was joint top Scottish pollster, Survation, for Mail on Sunday. It had:-

LAB 39
    SNP 35

One challenge for the SNP, according to John Curtice, is this:-

"we should remember how few are the Westminster seats that are marginal between Labour and the SNP. There are no Labour seats in which the SNP will start off less than 10 points behind and only three in which the nationalists will begin less than 20 points behind. Unless and until the SNP begin to pull ahead of Labour in terms of the Scotland wide vote, their haul of current Labour seats is likely to be no more than a small one.

http://blog.whatscotlandthinks.org/2014/10/labour-worried/
  • Options
    On the last thread I commented that the move to the Conservatives in Rochester & Strood in the absence of any polling seems overdone and that UKIP may well now represent value.

Further thoughts:

1) Mark Reckless and UKIP obviously think that they can win. They wouldn't be doing this otherwise.

2) The Conservatives obviously think that they can win. They wouldn't be raising the stakes on this otherwise.

3) UKIP in the past have shown a shaky grasp of the ground game - in Newark they thought on the night that they'd run the Conservatives close but were in fact miles off the pace.

4) With the MP's local knowledge and any defecting Conservative activitsts, they should do better in Rochester & Strood on the ground game.

5) The Conservative ground game in Newark was outstanding. Given that Conservative danders are up over this defection in particular (settle down, Mr Newmark), I expect them to perform as well here and with even more motivated activists.

6) We have no polling.

7) Why have we heard pretty well nothing from Labour about a seat that they held in 2005?
  • Options
    ArtistArtist Posts: 1,882
    Other reasons
    1. Tories betting on what they want to happen
    2. Analysts claiming Rochester + Strood isn't good demographically (Outside top 250 on UKIP friendly list)
    3. The media narrative that people in his constituency aren't happy, cancelled walkabouts etc.
  • Options
    @antifrank1: And:

8) We don't know who the Conservative candidate will be.
  • Options
    chestnutchestnut Posts: 7,341
    edited October 2014
    The implied swing in Scotland from an aggregate of the recent YG polls is closer to 20% than 10%.
  • Options
    Come to think of it, the Tories could combine items 2 and 4 on TSE's list: "Don't be Reckless: go to bed with Nigel and wake up with Ed"
  • Options
    TheWatcherTheWatcher Posts: 5,262
    edited October 2014
    TGOHF said:

TGOHF said:

Win - Lose all those lovely EU allowances, and be required to account for his expenses.

Lose - Look like an utter chump, and lose face.

Farage is a big old scaredy cat anyway.
  • Options

On the last thread I commented that the move to the Conservatives in Rochester & Strood in the absence of any polling seems overdone and that UKIP may well now represent value.

What's that old saying? Great Minds Think Alike.
  • Options
    fitalassfitalass Posts: 4,279
    edited October 2014
    Dan Hodges in the Daily Telegraph - Finally, Labour Party activists can see what the rest of the country can see…

"So yes, in a sense, David Cameron is pursuing a core vote strategy. It’s just that his core vote consists of just about every voter in the country. Ed Miliband’s core vote revolves around of a bunch of disaffected Lib Dems, students and 2005 Iraq war refuseniks. Now remind me, who is that is supposed to be preaching the politics of One Nation?"

• Options
    fitalass said:

Dan Hodges in the Daily Telegraph - Finally, Labour Party activists can see what the rest of the country can see…

"So yes, in a sense, David Cameron is pursuing a core vote strategy. It’s just that his core vote consists of just about every voter in the country. Ed Miliband’s core vote revolves around of a bunch of disaffected Lib Dems, students and 2005 Iraq war refuseniks. Now remind me, who is that is supposed to be preaching the politics of One Nation?"

I was a fan of ...

"Ed Miliband sees his core vote as consisting of the 550,000 people affected by the Bedroom Tax. David Cameron’s “core vote” is the 5 million tax payers trapped in the 40p tax bracket. Ed Miliband is pitching his appeal at the 900,000 people claiming job seekers allowance. David Cameron is pitching to the 30 million people in work. Ed Miliband is reaching out to the 44 per cent of 18-24 year olds that sometimes go out to vote. David Cameron is embracing the 70 per cent of voters over the age of 55 who religiously do their civic duty. "
  • Options
    taffystaffys Posts: 9,753
    edited October 2014
    Interesting that people seem to be completely discounting labour in Rochester & strood. They polled 13,000 votes in 2010, and the lib dems 8,000.

That's 21,000 leftish votes. In 2010.

If labour are doing as well nationally as Yougov suggests, shouldn;t they be thinking about winning?

And yet this is being treated like a two horse race
  • Options
    DadgeDadge Posts: 2,038
    There is more incentive to vote Ukip - by-election democracy is all about "sending a message" and you get a lot more bang for your buck by electing a Ukip MP. The battle is really being fought over image. I think if Ukip didn't have an image problem they'd be a shoo-in, but the main parties play up the negative stereotypes at every opportunity, and it all depends what the people of Rochester are like. If they believe that voting Ukip is a bit dirty they might decide to play safe. Even though the demonising of Ukip is delusional, it allows Labour supporters to pretend that they need to vote Tory for the good of their soul or some such.
  • Options

Come to think of it, the Tories could combine items 2 and 4 on TSE's list: "Don't be Reckless: go to bed with Nigel and wake up with Ed"

Love it.
  • Options
    SocratesSocrates Posts: 10,322

TGOHF said:

TGOHF said:

Win - Lose all those lovely EU allowances, and be required to account for his expenses.

He's not the one running scared of debates.
  • Options

Even simplistically, that line only works if you're splitting the 'right wing' vote to let in Labour. If you actually end up with a UKIP MP it no longer applies. UKIP aren't going to go into coalition with Labour.
  • Options
    PlatoPlato Posts: 15,724
    I thought every trenchant word in that piece was spot on.

It just highlighted the gulf between the two that's opening up. @DavidL‌ noted that Labour still had a lead of 7pts last night. I think the opening salvos from Cameron will start to change the game as we get closer to May.

It's clearly far too early for the polls to show anything much or sustainable - however, I think Mr Hodges has put his finger right on it about the Tory's ambitions to annex large sections of the electorate for themselves. There's are no No Go zones.
    fitalass said:

• Options
    edited October 2014
    taffys said:

Interesting that people seem to be completely discounting labour in Rochester & strood. They polled 13,000 votes in 2010, and the lib dems 8,000.

If labour are doing as well nationally as Yougov suggests, shouldn;t they be thinking about winning?

Indeed.

It's exactly the kind of seat they should win if the right wing split. (unless there are some boundary changes that make comparison difficult)
  • Options
    Dadge said:

There is more incentive to vote Ukip - by-election democracy is all about "sending a message" and you get a lot more bang for your buck by electing a Ukip MP. The battle is really being fought over image. I think if Ukip didn't have an image problem they'd be a shoo-in, but the main parties play up the negative stereotypes at every opportunity, and it all depends what the people of Rochester are like. If they believe that voting Ukip is a bit dirty they might decide to play safe. Even though the demonising of Ukip is delusional, it allows Labour supporters to pretend that they need to vote Tory for the good of their soul or some such.

Depends - do you really want to get a duplicitous twit as your MP ?
  • Options
    Dan can really put the boot in. I can't understand why LHQ don't employ him rather than letting him throw frustrated and well aimed rocks at them instead.

As he said in closing,
    David Cameron didn’t unveil a core vote strategy in his speech yesterday. At least, Labour had better hope he didn’t. Because if what he announced was a core vote strategy, then we are all core Tory voters now.

fitalass said:

I was a fan of ...

"Ed Miliband sees his core vote as consisting of the 550,000 people affected by the Bedroom Tax. David Cameron’s “core vote” is the 5 million tax payers trapped in the 40p tax bracket. Ed Miliband is pitching his appeal at the 900,000 people claiming job seekers allowance. David Cameron is pitching to the 30 million people in work. Ed Miliband is reaching out to the 44 per cent of 18-24 year olds that sometimes go out to vote. David Cameron is embracing the 70 per cent of voters over the age of 55 who religiously do their civic duty. "
  • Options
    Perhaps some wag will give out branded condoms to that effect?

• Options
    Socrates said:

TGOHF said:

TGOHF said:

There aren't any UKIP MP's.

I've got as much right as the Farage Party to take part in a debate.
  • Options

What's that old saying? Great Minds Think Alike.
    Two Fools Seldom Differ.
  • Options
    MikeSmithsonMikeSmithson Posts: 7,382
    Socrates said:

Even simplistically, that line only works if you're splitting the 'right wing' vote to let in Labour. If you actually end up with a UKIP MP it no longer applies. UKIP aren't going to go into coalition with Labour.
    chestnut said:

taffys said:

Indeed.

It's exactly the kind of seat they should win if the right wing split. (unless there are some boundary changes that make comparison difficult)
    I find the LAB approach to by-elections extraordinary. I backed them in Newark because I thought that UKIP and CON would split the vote leaving opening. What happened? They put zero effort in.

My understanding is that same will apply in Rochester. The lack of ambition is amazing.

• Options
    MarkSeniorMarkSenior Posts: 4,699
    chestnut said:

taffys said:

Indeed.

The 2011 local elections had the Conservatives ahead of Labour by nearly 5,000 votes in the wards making up this constituency . for whatever reason it has seemed to have moved away from Labour in recent years . Although Labour won the predecessor seat in 2005 , they would not have done ( narrowly ) on the current boundaries .
  • Options
    MarkHopkinsMarkHopkins Posts: 5,584

Socrates said:

chestnut said:

taffys said:

Indeed.

I find the LAB approach to by-elections extraordinary. I backed them in Newark because I thought that UKIP and CON would split the vote leaving opening. What happened? They put zero effort in.

My understanding is that same will apply in Rochester. The lack of ambition is amazing.

Saving money?

An excuse for when they lose?

Or just apathetic?

• Options

Socrates said:

chestnut said:

taffys said:

Indeed.

They have virtually given up in the South of England, barring London

So much for One Nation.
  • Options
    Michael Crick ‏@MichaelLCrick

Just heard that The Sun are publishing poll on Heywood & Middleton. Result out this evening
  • Options

Socrates said:

chestnut said:

taffys said:

Indeed.

So much for One Nation.
    No they have not virtually given up in the South of England , it is true that they are concentrating on a relatively small number of seats Hastings , Brighton and Hove , Dover and Crawley are examples .
  • Options

Socrates said:

chestnut said:

taffys said:

Indeed.

Saving money?

An excuse for when they lose?

Or just apathetic?

ONE NATION
  • Options

fitalass said:

I was a fan of ...

I am slowly coming round to the idea that Con Majority at 4.5 is worth a look.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,851

Socrates said:

chestnut said:

taffys said:

Indeed.

Labour can win a majority without either Newark or Rochester & Strood, but both seats have been held by them in the recent past. If you're serious about winning the coming election, you surely put all the effort you can into winning a by-election, unless it really is a no-hope seat.

• Options
    Perhaps Labour don't want to win the seat as the saying "going to bed with Farage waking up with Miliband will resonate" from now until all the way to the GE.For the same reason the Conservatives are desperately trying to stop UKIP even if it lets Labour in.
  • Options
    volcanopetevolcanopete Posts: 2,078

Love it.
    Your slogan would certainly ensure gay marriage was top of the agenda in Rochester.Strood,however,is more interested in the retention of the nightingale and its habitat.The humble nightingale is the issue of this by-election.On national poetry day,surely Keats must go on every leaflet.Ode to a Nightingale.

http://www.poetryfoundation.org/poem/173744
  • Options
    SlackbladderSlackbladder Posts: 9,710

Socrates said:

chestnut said:

taffys said:

Indeed.

So much for One Nation.
    No they have not virtually given up in the South of England , it is true that they are concentrating on a relatively small number of seats Hastings , Brighton and Hove , Dover and Crawley are examples .
    Wow...4 seats out of over 100... they're painting the region red.
  • Options

Socrates said:

chestnut said:

taffys said:

Indeed.

So much for One Nation.
    Wow...4 seats out of over 100... they're painting the region red.
    They are examples and also total 6 seats there are 3 in Brighton and Hove .
  • Options
    John Rentoul @JohnRentoul

Tories now favourite to win Rochester by-election – *this* would be the beginning of the end for UKIP http://www1.politicalbetting.com/index.php/archives/2014/10/02/the-tories-become-the-favourites-in-the-rochester-by-election/
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,273

fitalass said:

I was a fan of ...

Certainly beginning to have a feel that wind is changing. What might be interesting now is how the backroom discussions go for leaders TV debates. On the back of successful speech I can see Cameron start to think it worth his while to be seen standing next to Ed M and appearing statesman like and in command. "No time for a novice" and all that.
  • Options
    Am I the only one who finds this a little disturbing.

A life-size replica of Sir Cliff Richard is being used as a security measure by a couple in Norfolk.

David Stolworthy said the model was put in his wife's car to make her feel less vulnerable when travelling alone at night.

But the dummy also heads out regularly with the family - even joining them on continental holidays.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-norfolk-29458666
  • Options
    SimonStClareSimonStClare Posts: 7,976
    edited October 2014

Socrates said:

chestnut said:

taffys said:

Indeed.

Perhaps it is the hope that by abstaining from entering the fray:

Labour is giving UKiP a free reign in the hope of damaging the Tories.
    Labour fears being beaten by UKiP, with the subsequent loss of face.
    Labour has become complacent and don’t feel the need to engage unless they can win.

As you say, it it most odd behaviour from the Opposition party..
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,983

Tories now favourite to win Rochester by-election – *this* would be the beginning of the end for UKIP http://www1.politicalbetting.com/index.php/archives/2014/10/02/the-tories-become-the-favourites-in-the-rochester-by-election/

I clicked this link fully expecting to be taken to another website for an interesting read.....I blame my tired brain!
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,482
    edited October 2014

Since the Tories are putting everything bar the kitchen sink into Rochester & Strood, and since every event concerning UKIP that isn't people sprinkling rose petals at Nigel's feet is considered 'the beginning of the end' or 'the wheels coming off', what is the verdict if Reckless holds this seat? The beginning of the end for the Conservatives? The Conservative project grinding to a halt?
  • Options

fitalass said:

I was a fan of ...

Certainly beginning to have a feel that wind is changing. What might be interesting now is how the backroom discussions go for leaders TV debates. On the back of successful speech I can see Cameron start to think it worth his while to be seen standing next to Ed M and appearing statesman like and in command. "No time for a novice" and all that.
    That's what I am thinking, once the public see Ed for themselves they will think twice, and the EV4EL thing will definitely work against him.

Cameron needs to win back the soft Kippers, and he may have gone some way to starting that with his speech, whereas none of the Labour>UKIP switchers will move back to Labour, particularly given the reasons mentioned.
  • Options
    Bond_James_BondBond_James_Bond Posts: 1,939
    edited October 2014

A life-size replica of Sir Cliff Richard is being used as a security measure by a couple in Norfolk.

David Stolworthy said the model was put in his wife's car to make her feel less vulnerable when travelling alone at night.

But the dummy also heads out regularly with the family - even joining them on continental holidays.

Presumably, this Halloween, we can look forward to trick-or-treaters dressed as Max Clifford, Rolf Harris and Dave Lee Travis, as well as Jimmy Savile.

edit: is it me or does that Cliff doll look more like early Bowie?

probably the only point of resemblance....
  • Options
    Do we know how full Labour's pockets are for contesting such by-elections so close to the GE2015?

Are they simply flying above the fray as it's expensive and loss of face would be more costly as well? Leave the Kippers and Tories to waste their money/take chunks out of each other and save your dosh for the Big One?

Socrates said:

chestnut said:

taffys said:

Indeed.

Labour has become complacent and don’t feel the need to engage unless they can win.

• Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,336

fitalass said:

I was a fan of ...

Labour lead at 7. Are we just to ignore reality or indulge in fantasy?
  • Options
    SlackbladderSlackbladder Posts: 9,710

Well..it is Norfolk.
  • Options

Socrates said:

chestnut said:

taffys said:

Indeed.

If polls are to be believed, there's been about a 5% swing from Con to Lab since 2010, which cuts the lead in this seat to 10%. In by-election conditions, a confident Opposition ought to be expecting at least to run close, with such a margin.

• Options
    logical_songlogical_song Posts: 9,721
    Socrates said:
    UKIP aren't going to go into coalition with Labour.

Now, I hadn't thought of that combination. But then who would have thought that the LibDems would go into coalition with the Tories.

Seriously though, who would a largest party Labour go into coalition with?
    SNP ?
    LibDems ?
    NI Unionists ?
    Tories?

OK, so they're more likely to govern as a minority, but what happens if the same result repeats ten months later? Someone has to govern.
  • Options
    I wonder what Dave would think if he saw posters like this appear in Rochester

http://postimg.org/image/4w3p3ap13/

Particularly given he has such a 'woman problem'?
  • Options
    DavidL said:

fitalass said:

I was a fan of ...

There are posters on here who have been deluding themselves for a year or more that we would see crossover between Labour and the Conservatives .they assume that most voters see things through the same blue tinted spectacles as themselves .
  • Options

DavidL said:

fitalass said:

I was a fan of ...

There are posters on here who have been deluding themselves for a year or more that we would see crossover between Labour and the Conservatives .they assume that most voters see things through the same blue tinted spectacles as themselves .
    The two parties aren't far apart.

• Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,018

Socrates said:

Now, I hadn't thought of that combination. But then who would have thought that the LibDems would go into coalition with the Tories.

SNP ?
    LibDems ?
    NI Unionists ?
    Tories?

OK, so they're more likely to govern as a minority, but what happens if the same result repeats ten months later? Someone has to govern.

To have an election ten months later either the Fixed Term Parliament has to be repealed or the House has to vote down the Government twice in 14 days. Further I suspect the markets would have something to say about the failure of the policians to agree. Especially given that we’ve just had a reasonably successful coalition. Think back to the financial frailty of Spring 2010.
  • Options
    Hmm,, in part, yes. - However, in the wake of Newark and now R&S, there appears to be a genuine reluctance by Labour to engage where Kippers will be at full tilt. - There's a bigger picture no doubt, but can't say for sure what gives.
    Plato said:

Do we know how full Labour's pockets are for contesting such by-elections so close to the GE2015?

Are they simply flying above the fray as it's expensive and loss of face would be more costly as well? Leave the Kippers and Tories to waste their money/take chunks out of each other and save your dosh for the Big One?

Socrates said:

chestnut said:

taffys said:

Indeed.

• Options
    manofkent2014manofkent2014 Posts: 1,543
    edited October 2014
    Comparison of Medway Euro Election Results (Medway has 3 Constituencies including Rochester). 2014 figures with 2009 figures in brackets

Con 23% (30%)
    Lab 19% (14.5%)
    LD 4% (9%)
    Green 6% (7%)
    UKIP 42% (21.5%)
  • Options
    Ishmael_XIshmael_X Posts: 3,664

DavidL said:

fitalass said:

I was a fan of ...

We have seen crossover between Labour and the Conservatives. We will do so again.

And the average Labour lead is something under 4. Fine by me, as it is electorally neither here nor there but gives rise to this moronic drone from the left which is strangely soothing, like bees in summer.

• Options
    I'm sure UKIP will win Rochester.
  • Options
    taffys said:
    I still think a good second place is the likely outcome for UKIP.

• Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,336

DavidL said:

fitalass said:

I was a fan of ...

I think we will see crossover by the election although probably not by enough to stop Labour being the largest party. But that absurd nonsense from Hodges and the like...It has no contact with reality at all.

The Tories are losing. But they have a chance. I am not sure I can say the same about the Lib Dems. Are you going to the Conference?
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

DavidL said:

fitalass said:

I was a fan of ...

Cameron is Heir to Blair after all :)
  • Options
    taffystaffys Posts: 9,753
    I still think a good second place is the likely outcome for UKIP.

That was by and large the implication of that article I thought. Bickley himself admitted winning over life long labour voters is difficult.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

DavidL said:

fitalass said:

I was a fan of ...

7% in Yougov yesterday and 6% in Comres the day before are chasms .
  • Options
    Ishmael_X said:

DavidL said:

fitalass said:

I was a fan of ...

We have seen crossover between Labour and the Conservatives. We will do so again.

And the average Labour lead is something under 4. Fine by me, as it is electorally neither here nor there but gives rise to this moronic drone from the left which is strangely soothing, like bees in summer.

I recall in the 80s Labour's total conviction that because Neil Kinnock was ahead of Margaret (pbuh) in the polls, Neil was going to be the next PM.

The poll lead persisted right up to the point where the punters actually contemplated this choice.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

Socrates said:

chestnut said:

taffys said:

Indeed.

If polls are to be believed, there's been about a 5% swing from Con to Lab since 2010, which cuts the lead in this seat to 10%. In by-election conditions, a confident Opposition ought to be expecting at least to run close, with such a margin.
    I quite agree Sean_F - Labour should be fighting all the battles, not just those they can win.
  • Options
    Ishmael_X said:

DavidL said:

fitalass said:

I was a fan of ...

No the odd poll showing a Conservative lead is not crossover but a random MofE variation .
  • Options
    Britain Elects ‏@britainelects 6m6 minutes ago
    Scottish Opinion Poll (Panelbase) Westminster:
    SNP - 34%
    LAB - 32%
    CON - 18%
    UKIP - 6%
    LDEM - 5%
  • Options
    DavidL said:

DavidL said:

fitalass said:

I was a fan of ...

I think we will see crossover by the election although probably not by enough to stop Labour being the largest party. But that absurd nonsense from Hodges and the like...It has no contact with reality at all.

The Tories are losing. But they have a chance. I am not sure I can say the same about the Lib Dems. Are you going to the Conference?
    Yes a reasonable assessment , no I am not going to Conference , not been for many years .
  • Options
    JohnOJohnO Posts: 4,215
    chestnut said:

SNP - 34%
    LAB - 32%
    CON - 18%
    UKIP - 6%
    LDEM - 5%

Oh, Eck being Eck then. He made it sound like an SNP walkover. Tories should be reasonably satisfied and Labour hardly panicking.
  • Options
    Ishmael_XIshmael_X Posts: 3,664

Ishmael_X said:

DavidL said:

fitalass said:

I was a fan of ...

No the odd poll showing a Conservative lead is not crossover but a random MofE variation .
    Course it isn't, dear. But quoting a single data point, outlierish-looking 7% is fine?

Moronic na na nanana, look what happens if i baxter this poll, chanting seems to be the very peak of lefty thinking on this site these days. Bring back tim.

• Options
    logical_songlogical_song Posts: 9,721

Socrates said:

SNP ?
    LibDems ?
    NI Unionists ?
    Tories?

To have an election ten months later either the Fixed Term Parliament has to be repealed or the House has to vote down the Government twice in 14 days. Further I suspect the markets would have something to say about the failure of the policians to agree. Especially given that we’ve just had a reasonably successful coalition. Think back to the financial frailty of Spring 2010.
    Quite agree. Your point about fixed term parliaments sounds like it means that both Labour and the Tories would have difficulties trying to run a minority government,
    So we might see odd bedfellows again Labour + SNP (if they do spectacularly well against Labour in Scotland).
  • Options
    chestnut said:

SNP - 34%
    LAB - 32%
    CON - 18%
    UKIP - 6%
    LDEM - 5%

Is this for Westminster or Holyrood?
  • Options
    manofkent2014manofkent2014 Posts: 1,543
    edited October 2014
    Its worth noting that the results of the three Medway constituencies were very similar in 2010 with the Tories on 45-50%, Labour on high twenties low thirties and the Libdems in the mid teens. If UKIP take Rochester given the Medway Euro results it's likely that both other Medway seats would be extremely vulnerable.

With Sittingbourne & Sheppey, Gravesend and Dartford surrounding the seats all showing similar trends, It's little wonder the Tories are 'angry' about the Reckless defection. The idea that North Kent might turn purple can't be a pleasant prospect.
  • Options
    SpeedySpeedy Posts: 12,100
    edited October 2014
    The lesson here is that no one should bet on elections based on their gut feeling before opinion polls are available.
    I'm surprised that the Sun did a poll on Heywood, I expect an easy Labour hold, but if that is not the case then Simon Danczuk will have his career in the Labour party ruined.
  • Options
    edited October 2014

Westminster.

Holyrood is SNP 42, Lab 27, Tory 16, Green 9, UKIP 5, LD 5
  • Options

chestnut said:

SNP - 34%
    LAB - 32%
    CON - 18%
    UKIP - 6%
    LDEM - 5%

Holyrood, but they'll affect Westminster.

SNP - 34%
    LAB - 32%
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,758
    JohnO said:

chestnut said:

SNP - 34%
    LAB - 32%
    CON - 18%
    UKIP - 6%
    LDEM - 5%

Oh, Eck being Eck then. He made it sound like an SNP walkover. Tories should be reasonably satisfied and Labour hardly panicking.
    All Sturgeon has to do now is offer an amnesty for all the newly registered voters being pursued by councils and she's home.

Sell beards and sandals, buy kilts.
  • Options
    Ishmael_X said:

DavidL said:

fitalass said:

I was a fan of ...

Sunil on Sunday ELBOW weekly Lab leads since 17th Aug:

w/e 17th Aug: 3.0%
    w/e 24th Aug: 3.6%
    w/e 31st Aug: 3.8%
    w/e 7th Sep: 3.3%
    w/e 14th Sep: 4.6%
    w/e 21st Sep: 3.6%
    w/e 28th Sep: 4.4%
    so far this week: 4.6% (NB. only 6 polls so far!)
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    chestnut said:

SNP - 34%
    LAB - 32%
    CON - 18%
    UKIP - 6%
    LDEM - 5%

Vastly more believable than the YouGov sub-samples and even then I think this overstates SNP support in practice.

They key thing is that even if this is the support levels what it means is that SNP most of the Lib Dem seats but the Labour seats remain mostly untouched. Unless there is something apocalyptic in the geographic distribution of these number the majority of Labour seats in Scotland are super safe. Glasgow North East - which was one of the highest voting Yes areas was almost 70% Labour vote share at the last election - a majority of 16,000. Even 15 point swings in the Glasgow vote to SNP wouldn't be enough in most cases.
  • Options
    chestnut said:

SNP - 34%
    LAB - 32%
    CON - 18%
    UKIP - 6%
    LDEM - 5%

Unionists 61%
    Freedom 34%

:)
  • Options

Sean_F said:

DavidL said:

fitalass said:

I was a fan of ...

7% in Yougov yesterday and 6% in Comres the day before are chasms .
    The average is 3-4%. That's not a chasm.
  • Options
    Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 55,429
    Sean_F said:

Socrates said:

chestnut said:

taffys said:

Indeed.

Labour's local election results remind me more of the Conservative performance under IDS/Howard during 2002-2005. Some modest gains, but unimpressive vote shares and national leads.

It seems Labour have recovered in urban seats, particularly London, and the North. But there's not much sign of progress in the middle England marginals.

A big risk for Labour next year is getting their vote out. If enough of them are dillusioned and think Ed is crap, they might not all bother.
  • Options

UKIP survived the loss of Bob Spink and they'd survive the loss of Reckless, if it happened. It would be a big setback and would hit UKIP's momentum a lot, but it wouldn't be the end of the world for them. Frankly, given the resources the Conservative party have, it would be pretty devastating for them if they lost, given they're throwing the kitchen sink at the seat.
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    I might start doing my own regular election prediction: Casino's Unravelled National Tallies.
  • Options

Socrates said:

TGOHF said:

TGOHF said:

Keep making excuses. The only reason the third most supported party in the UK wouldn't be included is because Cameron's too frit to face Farage.
  • Options
    JohnO said:

chestnut said:

SNP - 34%
    LAB - 32%
    CON - 18%
    UKIP - 6%
    LDEM - 5%

I think they should be panicking to some extent (and the LibDems to a huge extent). The GE shares in Scotland were:

SNP - 19.9%
    LAB - 42.0%
    CON - 16.7%
    UKIP - Lost in the noise
    LDEM - 18.9%
  • Options
    Socrates said:

UKIP survived the loss of Bob Spink and they'd survive the loss of Reckless, if it happened. It would be a big setback and would hit UKIP's momentum a lot, but it wouldn't be the end of the world for them. Frankly, given the resources the Conservative party have, it would be pretty devastating for them if they lost, given they're throwing the kitchen sink at the seat.
    I thought the Farage Party had an extra £1 million to spend on pints? Oh wait, it was just a 'pledge'.
  • Options
    Britain Elects ‏@britainelects 8m8 minutes ago
    Westminster Scottish seats following Panelbase poll:
    LAB - 34 (-7)
    SNP - 18 (+12)
    LDEM - 4 (-7)
    CON - 3 (+2)

Holyrood composition following Panelbase polls:
    SNP - 61 (-8)
    LAB - 35 (-2)
    CON - 19 (+4)
    GRN - 9 (+7)
    LDEM - 4 (-1)
  • Options

Socrates said:

I thought the Farage Party had an extra £1 million to spend on pints? Oh wait, it was just a 'pledge'.
    Indeed. The money's all on the Tory side, as you point out.
  • Options
    Socrates said:

Socrates said:

TGOHF said:

TGOHF said:

Keep making excuses. The only reason the third most supported party in the UK wouldn't be included is because Cameron's too frit to face Farage.
    Keeping him out does Kippahs a huge favour - Nige blowharding his grievances - doing his "Brussells"-pause-Eck like chuckle - "Westminster Establishment" - pause - blah blah.

• Options
    TGOHF said:

Socrates said:

Socrates said:

TGOHF said:

TGOHF said:

Keeping him out does Kippahs a huge favour - Nige blowharding his grievances - doing his "Brussells"-pause-Eck like chuckle - "Westminster Establishment" - pause - blah blah.
    If that's the case, surely Cameron would be pushing to get him included? But Cameron isn't. Because he's scared.
  • Options
    Socrates said:

TGOHF said:

Socrates said:

Socrates said:

TGOHF said:

TGOHF said:

If that's the case, surely Cameron would be pushing to get him included? But Cameron isn't. Because he's scared.
    He probably should - pop his balloon - remember when fellow anti immigration chap Griffin got on QT ? downhill all the way from then.
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

Socrates said:

TGOHF said:

Socrates said:

Socrates said:

TGOHF said:

TGOHF said:

He probably should - pop his balloon - remember when fellow anti immigration chap Griffin got on QT ? downhill all the way from then.
    Err, I think remembering when Clegg challenged Farage would be more apt.
  • Options
    A big win in Clacton will have impact on UKIPs chances in Rochester. If Reckless should lose he may well have a more winnable seat lined up as part of his "defection deal". When Carswell defected there was a lot of talk about him taking local activists with him. What's the news on the ground in Rochester?
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,758
    Socrates said:

TGOHF said:

Socrates said:

Socrates said:

TGOHF said:

TGOHF said:

Strikes me it has little to do with fear and everything to do with getting a debate with Ed which he can dominate. What benefit is there to Cameron if Farage gets in the way ?
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758

Socrates said:

chestnut said:

taffys said:

Indeed.

And when you try to explain that, the BobaJob's of the world tell you that you're a fool & that there is no value in coming second in a FPTP race.

In a narrow sense, of course, they are right. But as a party that aspires to be in government they are sending absolutely the wrong message about their ability to compete nationwide.

I suspect that Miliband is tactically smart and strategically foolish.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,992
    Good afternoon, everyone.

For those on defector watch, Stewart Jackson (MP, formerly of this parish) just tweeted:
    "Anyone care what Nick Clegg thinks? Lib Dem conference like a death cult next week. Kharma for ratting on boundaries"
  • Options
    chestnut said:

Britain Elects ‏@britainelects 8m8 minutes ago
    Westminster Scottish seats following Panelbase poll:
    LAB - 34 (-7)
    SNP - 18 (+12)
    LDEM - 4 (-7)
    CON - 3 (+2)

Holyrood composition following Panelbase polls:
    SNP - 61 (-8)
    LAB - 35 (-2)
    CON - 19 (+4)
    GRN - 9 (+7)
    LDEM - 4 (-1)

Oh, wouldcha look at that. Chimes very well with what several punters have been saying on here.

Good luck to Ed Miliband in making 75 gains in England and Wales.
  • Options
    philiphphiliph Posts: 4,704
    Socrates said:

Socrates said:

Indeed. The money's all on the Tory side, as you point out.
    I consider it to be a tough ask for a Tory hold. Not doing well in the polls, UKIP as the popular protest party, late in the term and many other factors, including the defection. I would expect UKIP to win.
This discussion has been closed.