Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » September’s pbc poll average: UKIP recovers ground, Lab and

SystemSystem Posts: 11,692
edited October 2014 in General

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » September’s pbc poll average: UKIP recovers ground, Lab and LD down, Cons steady

September might have been one of the most dramatic months in British politics since the last general election, with the near-dissolution of the three-centuries old Anglo-Scottish Union but you wouldn’t know it from the polls.  That the Yes and No camps crossed party lines and brought opponents together might have had something to do with it; more likely, it’s that the majority of the UK elec…

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,782
    First!
  • Options
    The Labour figure may simply be down to normal fluctuation

Or Scotland, where there does appear to have been a shift to the SNP?
  • Options
    audreyanneaudreyanne Posts: 1,376
    Amazingly good headlines for Cameron and the Conservatives this morning. Reports of the Tory death have been greatly exaggerated.
    http://news.sky.com/gallery/1345840/thursdays-newspaper-front-pages
  • Options
    Scottish snapshot - latest YouGov (vs end August).
    Lab: 23 (-11)
    SNP: 43 (+9)
  • Options
    JohnLoonyJohnLoony Posts: 1,790
    UKIP has come 2nd in 7 parliamentary by-elections, but 3rd in only 4. I wonder if this unusual (counter-intuitive) pattern is due to the uneven distribution of by-elections geographically over the last decade or so? If there had been more by-elections in Conservative constituencies (safe or otherwise) there might have been more results going Con-Lab-UKIP-LD or Lab-Con-UKIP-LD or Con-LD-UKIP-Lab. It is only because they have been in mostly safe Labour constituencies that they have been Lab-UKIP-Con-LD or Lab-UKIP-Con-BNP-ED-Thingy-LD or whatever.
  • Options
    david_herdsondavid_herdson Posts: 17,419
    JohnLoony said:

UKIP has come 2nd in 7 parliamentary by-elections, but 3rd in only 4. I wonder if this unusual (counter-intuitive) pattern is due to the uneven distribution of by-elections geographically over the last decade or so? If there had been more by-elections in Conservative constituencies (safe or otherwise) there might have been more results going Con-Lab-UKIP-LD or Lab-Con-UKIP-LD or Con-LD-UKIP-Lab. It is only because they have been in mostly safe Labour constituencies that they have been Lab-UKIP-Con-LD or Lab-UKIP-Con-BNP-ED-Thingy-LD or whatever.

There was one in a Con-LD marginal and UKIP finished second there too.
  • Options

Perhaps, but it's not one that's been picked up with all pollsters to that extent that it has with the YouGov figures you quote. Subsamples aren't balanced on polls of the standard c.1000-respondent size and so can vary quite substantially from poll to poll, particularly when only a small proportion, as a Scottish subsample is.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,938
    What is the Yougov moving average of the last 20 Scottish subsamples ? Can't really look it up where I am easily
  • Options
    Antifrank's tip to basically go large on the SNP may have been one of the best yet - especially if some long odds seats come in with a NO vote
  • Options
    BTW David - What has been the average "in six" of voters the Lib Dems have lost at non won by lib dem by elections. They may not lose 5 in 6 at non held seats on average at GE but it will be greater than 1in 2. 2 in 3 might seem a reasonable figure to me on that count though I am not sure...
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

What is the Yougov moving average of the last 20 Scottish subsamples ? Can't really look it up where I am easily

I don't know, although I'm not sure it would be too meaningful a figure at the moment. 20 YouGov's would have ten either side of the referendum, which you'd think would be a big dividing point in Scottish polling. Comparing the ten after with the ten immediately before (and perhaps the ten before that) should be more instructive.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

BTW David - What has been the average "in six" of voters the Lib Dems have lost at non won by lib dem by elections. They may not lose 5 in 6 at non held seats on average at GE but it will be greater than 1in 2. 2 in 3 might seem a reasonable figure to me on that count though I am not sure...

But the 2 in 3 represents the current *overall* loss of votes. If they hold on to their votes in their present seats then this can only be offset to give the current polling figures if they lost 5 in 6 elsewhere. Not only that, the biggest losses would have to come from those seats where the Lib Dems have performed best in but don't hold (as by definition, you can't lose 15% in a seat where you only started with 10%, so as there are quite of these - and even they won't go down to zero so the actual loss is even less - they'd have to be offset by even greater losses in those seats where the Lib Dems polled, say, 18-35%).

You're right that the Lib Dems have done very very poorly in by-elections in this parliament (Eastleigh aside, though that is a significant exception), and this might well be the case in the GE in seats where they have little organisation. The thing is, that alone can't produce the kind of polling we've seen in September: they'd have to be doing reasonably poorly in seats where they are strong as well. Of course, it may be that the polls are wrong. We'll see.
  • Options
    OblitusSumMeOblitusSumMe Posts: 9,143
    Do you know what the average score for the Green Party is? I presume that it's still below 5%, but they seem to have maintained an improved share since the European elections.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,018
    It’s the LD conference this weekend, isn’t it. Perhaps we’ll see somethiing about the non-panic then. Of course it could just be resignation to the situation and either a hope or an expectation that things will pick up significantly in the 2015-20 Parliament.
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    Post Indy ref Scottish Subsamples:

30 23 28 27 29 33 28 28 Yougov post ref Labour average 28%

33 43 44 43 45 38 38 40 Yougov post ref SNP average 40%

Con 21
    Lab 30
    LD 8
    SNP 33

Con 17
    Lab 23
    LD 5
    SNP 43

Con 13
    Lab 28
    LD 7
    SNP 44

Con 18
    Lab 27
    LD 6
    SNP 43

Con 17
    Lab 29
    LD 3
    SNP 45

Con 16
    Lab 33
    LD 5
    SNP 38

Con 19
    Lab 28
    LD 6
    SNP 38

Con 17
    Lab 28
    LD 8
    SNP 40

Sig. Events: Salmond resigns, No wins

210914 - Fieldwork before Indy Ref (18-19th, archived as http://cdn.yougov.com/cumulus_uploads/document/wpbxyfjd7p/YG-Archive-Pol-Sunday-Times-results-140919.pdf)

Con 18
    Lab 35
    LD 8
    SNP 29
  • Options
    not_on_firenot_on_fire Posts: 4,341
    Some people have too much time on their hands...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0YBumQHPAeU&app=desktop
  • Options

Amazingly good headlines for Cameron and the Conservatives this morning. Reports of the Tory death have been greatly exaggerated.

Wait until the penny drops that "7-day GP access" is but a PR man's way of talking about Urgent Care Centres.

• Options

It’s the LD conference this weekend, isn’t it. Perhaps we’ll see somethiing about the non-panic then. Of course it could just be resignation to the situation and either a hope or an expectation that things will pick up significantly in the 2015-20 Parliament.

They may get a surge to the heady heights of 10% or so.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,851

Pulpstar said:

But the 2 in 3 represents the current *overall* loss of votes. If they hold on to their votes in their present seats then this can only be offset to give the current polling figures if they lost 5 in 6 elsewhere. Not only that, the biggest losses would have to come from those seats where the Lib Dems have performed best in but don't hold (as by definition, you can't lose 15% in a seat where you only started with 10%, so as there are quite of these - and even they won't go down to zero so the actual loss is even less - they'd have to be offset by even greater losses in those seats where the Lib Dems polled, say, 18-35%).

You're right that the Lib Dems have done very very poorly in by-elections in this parliament (Eastleigh aside, though that is a significant exception), and this might well be the case in the GE in seats where they have little organisation. The thing is, that alone can't produce the kind of polling we've seen in September: they'd have to be doing reasonably poorly in seats where they are strong as well. Of course, it may be that the polls are wrong. We'll see.
    If the Lib Dems were to lose two out of three votes, it's inconceivable that Lib Dem-held seats would be exempt. Even if popular MP's were able to restrict this to just one out of three, that would still be very dabmaging.
  • Options
    DecrepitJohnLDecrepitJohnL Posts: 13,300

Wait until the penny drops that "7-day GP access" is but a PR man's way of talking about Urgent Care Centres.

Tbh I doubt many voters will care very much either way. There have not been many banner-waving demonstrators marching through the streets of London demanding Sunday opening of GPs' surgeries.
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,892
    Audreyanne

"Amazingly good headlines for Cameron and the Conservatives this morning. Reports of the Tory death have been greatly exaggerated."

Good headlines from dismal newspapers count for nothing but you raise the interesting subject of the death of the Tory Party. Will the predicted election defeat next year lead to the disintegration of the party in its present present form? I suspect it will.....

Like it or not 'nasty' and 'Tory' have become synonymous and it seems there just aren't enough voters who think of themselves like that to push the party over the line. As I've often said re branding has to start with the name. In much the same way as a piece of Ratners jewelry says CHEAP so an X against Tory says NASTY.

Ironic when a much nastier party seem to be overtaking on the outside but that's why the corporate identity departments earn the big bucks.

• Options
    YBarddCwscYBarddCwsc Posts: 7,172
    "I wonder if this unusual (counter-intuitive) pattern is due to the uneven distribution of by-elections geographically over the last decade or so? "

But why is it that the by-elections have been in Labour seats, and mainly safe Labour seats at that ?

It looks as though, more than any other party, Labour MPs ran into problems with the law (Woolas, Illsley, MacShane), found the lure of becoming a Police Commissioner irresistible (Soulsby, Lloyd, Michaael), and died in post (Cairns, Keen, Singh, Wicks, Bell, Goggins, Dobbin).

Is it bad it is for your health to be a Labour MP ?

The average age of Labour MPs is 52, versus 48 for Tories. But, if you look at safe Labour seats, is the average age still higher? Do safe Labour seats typically become occupied by someone until death?

It is also striking that the Tory by-elections have all been caused by self-inflicted resignations, Mensch, Mercer, and now Carswell and Reckless.
  • Options
    Pulpstar

Tories on a roll in Scotland! Maybe they'll outnumber the pandas after May?
  • Options
    chestnutchestnut Posts: 7,341
    Yougov:

It's there again....higher than average LD-LAB switchers, higher AB score, higher score in London/South. Every 5th or 6th poll.

On a straightforward ratio analysis of Current VI;2010 VI from the YG sample, the lead would be 4 ( L 37 C 33)

• Options
    Pre Indy ref Scottish Yougov subsamples

Lab Avg 31%
    SNP Avg 32%

Lab 29 35 31 32 29 31 35 29
    SNP 34 31 34 33 32 28 29 31

210914 - Fieldwork before Indy Ref (18-19th, archived as http://cdn.yougov.com/cumulus_uploads/document/wpbxyfjd7p/YG-Archive-Pol-Sunday-Times-results-140919.pdf)

Con 23
    Lab 29
    LD 5
    SNP 31

Con 18
    Lab 35
    LD 8
    SNP 29

Con 21
    Lab 31
    LD 7
    SNP 28

Con 22
    Lab 29
    LD 7
    SNP 32

Con 13
    Lab 32
    LD 7
    SNP 33

Con 17
    Lab 31
    LD 5
    SNP 34

Not archived properly

Con 19
    Lab 35
    LD 6
    SNP 31

Con 20
    Lab 29
    LD 7
    SNP 34

• Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548

Tbh I doubt many voters will care very much either way. There have not been many banner-waving demonstrators marching through the streets of London demanding Sunday opening of GPs' surgeries.
    The reason for governments pushing 7 day working is not to have my blood pressure checked at a weekend, or to have my sore toe looked at. The agenda is to keep patients out of hospital by increasing access to primary care.

The patients who are at most risk of this are those with multiple long term conditions, and often without family support. Imagine a housebound patient with arthritis, diabetes and heart failure who is getting early dementia. They get an infection that trips them into a confusional state and poor diabetic control.

Such patients are at high risk of admission but could be managed in the community, if resources are available. These would include District Nurses visiting several times a day, a GP home visit most days and avalaibility of investigations and blood tests outside office hours and access to medical records. It takes a lot of organising and co-ordinating, not a quick trip to pick up some tablets in Tescos GP practice from Dr Locumescu.

• Options
    Pulpstar said:

Pre Indy ref Scottish Yougov subsamples

Lab Avg 31%
    SNP Avg 32%

Lab 29 35 31 32 29 31 35 29
    SNP 34 31 34 33 32 28 29 31

Con 23
    Lab 29
    LD 5
    SNP 31

Con 18
    Lab 35
    LD 8
    SNP 29

Con 21
    Lab 31
    LD 7
    SNP 28

Con 22
    Lab 29
    LD 7
    SNP 32

Con 13
    Lab 32
    LD 7
    SNP 33

Con 17
    Lab 31
    LD 5
    SNP 34

Not archived properly

Con 19
    Lab 35
    LD 6
    SNP 31

Con 20
    Lab 29
    LD 7
    SNP 34

Are there any prospects of a Scottish Labour MP defecting to the SNP prior to the GE?

• Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,336
    Having looked at it a bit more closely I think Cameron has got a remarkably big bang for a pretty modest buck on the tax cuts. At the most this is going to make a difference of £1-2bn in the early years of the next Parliament when the heavy lifting of deficit reduction is being done and such a sum can easily be recovered elsewhere.

That said I personally do not like the presentation when combined with the cuts in real terms in benefits. We may yet see more cuts in benefits, in fact we will have to. I would urge the government to make sure these are more aimed at the higher paid recipients. In work benefits for those earning more than £40K a year is a very obvious starting point. In fact every household who receive more than average wages should feel the pain ahead of those that don't.

I also note there is no repeat of the foolish promise for the freebies for the elderly. All of these have to be means tested PDQ.

My fear is that, like the 50p tax cut, the Tories have given Labour a get out of jail free card for irresponsible spending. When this is criticised they will simply say, well we think spending on X is more important than tax cuts.
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    2010 GE result:

Lab 42%
    SNP 20%

Next piece of the jigsaw is to look at how accurate Yougov was for the 2010 GE (In Scotland) based on it's previous 8 subsamples...

Also the next 8 Scottish subsamples will be instructive to see if the SNP surge is maintained in the short term let alone to the General Election.

Preliminary analysis indicates a 5.5% Lab -> SNP swing based upon the NO vote in the Indy ref for now.
  • Options
    @MonikerDicanio I'd doubt it.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    @tnewtondunn: It's been a tale of two speeches at the party conferences so far; http://t.co/ZxPyvQwd5j http://t.co/eEBWPbQge5
  • Options
    anotherDaveanotherDave Posts: 6,746
    Don't the LD local election results support the national polls?

2010: 24%
    2011: 16%
    2012: 15%
    2013: 13%
    2014: 11%

http://www.parliament.uk/briefing-papers/RP14-33/local-elections-2014
  • Options
    SocratesSocrates Posts: 10,322
    http://www.nytimes.com/2014/10/02/business/international/france-produces-no-austerity-budget-defying-eu-rules.html?_r=1

Presumably France is "isolating" itself from the EU and acting like a bad European, and that will mean France will never get its way in future EU debates...

Either that or there's a huge double standard in the EU.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Having looked at it a bit more closely I think Cameron has got a remarkably big bang for a pretty modest buck on the tax cuts. At the most this is going to make a difference of £1-2bn in the early years of the next Parliament when the heavy lifting of deficit reduction is being done and such a sum can easily be recovered elsewhere.

That said I personally do not like the presentation when combined with the cuts in real terms in benefits. We may yet see more cuts in benefits, in fact we will have to. I would urge the government to make sure these are more aimed at the higher paid recipients. In work benefits for those earning more than £40K a year is a very obvious starting point. In fact every household who receive more than average wages should feel the pain ahead of those that don't.

I also note there is no repeat of the foolish promise for the freebies for the elderly. All of these have to be means tested PDQ.

My fear is that, like the 50p tax cut, the Tories have given Labour a get out of jail free card for irresponsible spending. When this is criticised they will simply say, well we think spending on X is more important than tax cuts.

Reductions in tax credits should happen at the same time as increased allowances, while sub inflation freezes in other benefits erode their cost.

Even so there will be lots of angst about new bedroom taxes. In any change in be efits the loses cry louder than the winners. We hear from the single person forced out of their 3 bed house that they have had for years, but not from the young family that move in as a result.

There are going to be some very harsh budgets before these tax changes occur, and probably need to be. The economy is now growing but there will be a downturn in time, maybe 2 years, maybe 8, but it will come. We cannot afford not to fix the nations finances in the next few years.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

This is my Iron Man scenario. It's impossible for a democratically elected government, except for new pensioners. But with the raising of the pension age to 67 I'm not sure how many of those we have at the moment.

• Options
    Patrick said:

Pulpstar

Tories on a roll in Scotland! Maybe they'll outnumber the pandas after May?

On a roll ?

Are you sure - they polled 16.7% in Scotland last time

Post Indy Ref "After 8" moving average

Con 17%
    LD 6%
    Lab 28%
    SNP 40%

16.7% -> 17% ... hmm

I'll Baxter it then edit this posts with the results
  • Options
    This has received far too little attention for its importance:

http://www.ons.gov.uk/ons/dcp171778_379083.pdf

In the last four quarters the UK has run a balance of payments deficit of over £90bn.

What is especially worrying is that we are now running a huge and steadily increasing deficit on investment income - an area where the UK has traditionally had a surplus.

Those foreign takeovers of British businesses which are so applauded aren't such a good thing if the wealth is then taken out of this country are they.

And this government's big economic idea is to give the magic money tree another shaking.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,273
    Morning all,

The quiet from LibDem activists is intriguing. I'd like to put forward another thought. Most of those activists that would be busy organising a coup have left. I'd be interested to see the current membership numbers for Liberals and the churn since 2010. My extended family has long contained a few LibDem members and anecdotally it seems the social-liberal members have left the party in disgust at the Coalition and all its works.
  • Options

The reason for governments pushing 7 day working is not to have my blood pressure checked at a weekend, or to have my sore toe looked at. The agenda is to keep patients out of hospital by increasing access to primary care.

The patients who are at most risk of this are those with multiple long term conditions, and often without family support. Imagine a housebound patient with arthritis, diabetes and heart failure who is getting early dementia. They get an infection that trips them into a confusional state and poor diabetic control.

Such patients are at high risk of admission but could be managed in the community, if resources are available. These would include District Nurses visiting several times a day, a GP home visit most days and avalaibility of investigations and blood tests outside office hours and access to medical records. It takes a lot of organising and co-ordinating, not a quick trip to pick up some tablets in Tescos GP practice from Dr Locumescu.

I don't quite know how old this hypothetical case is, but if they're say 80+ and have no next of kin a bit of run-of-the-mill bureaucratic bungling should see the back of them before anyone's very much older...

• Options
    Pulpstar said:

2010 GE result:

Lab 42%
    SNP 20%

Next piece of the jigsaw is to look at how accurate Yougov was for the 2010 GE (In Scotland) based on it's previous 8 subsamples...

Also the next 8 Scottish subsamples will be instructive to see if the SNP surge is maintained in the short term let alone to the General Election.

Preliminary analysis indicates a 5.5% Lab -> SNP swing based upon the NO vote in the Indy ref for now.

Really, we need some standalone polls for Scotland.
  • Options
    @joeyjonessky: Just spotted this. Cool killer sentence at top of @thetimes leader. http://t.co/AcsG8NtUIK
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,758

In the last four quarters the UK has run a balance of payments deficit of over £90bn.

What is especially worrying is that we are now running a huge and steadily increasing deficit on investment income - an area where the UK has traditionally had a surplus.

Those foreign takeovers of British businesses which are so applauded aren't such a good thing if the wealth is then taken out of this country are they.

And this government's big economic idea is to give the magic money tree another shaking.

I guess Osborne has rebalanced the economy into a big import sucking machine. Pretty useless as Chancellor.
  • Options

Don't the LD local election results support the national polls?

2010: 24%
    2011: 16%
    2012: 15%
    2013: 13%
    2014: 11%

http://www.parliament.uk/briefing-papers/RP14-33/local-elections-2014

Yes, although they also offer some support for Lib Dem support holding up better in strongholds. OTOH, the Scottish elections in 2011 saw the Lib Dems reach a tipping point, and lose 9 out of 11 constituencies.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,273
    DavidL said:

I agree - the 40% up rate is relatively cheap, given the length of time involved. Indeed, I think voters will, after a few days reflection, think this all sounds like jam tomorrow. Having said that it does have two advantages: firstly, raised the morale of Tory ground troops ahead of a gruelling 6 months; secondly, is probably well targeted at aspirational voters who live in swing seats who actually matter.
  • Options
    MonikerDiCanioMonikerDiCanio Posts: 5,792
    edited October 2014

I guess Osborne has rebalanced the economy into a big import sucking machine. Pretty useless as Chancellor.
    " The United Kingdom has created more new jobs over the past four years than the other 27 EU members put together. "

http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/news/danielhannan/100288458/does-anyone-think-that-ed-miliband-would-be-the-better-prime-minister-anyone-at-all/

Give the boy his due.
  • Options
    edited October 2014

" The United Kingdom has created more new jobs over the past four years than the other 27 EU members put together. "
    Wunderbar, we've borrowed shedloads and shedloads and as well as importing all those goods we're importing people, lots of people too.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,018

It would require a lot more extra staff, too. Particularly nurses, or senior HCAs. I A long time ago I worked somewhere where we had such a scheme for children ....... I wouldn’t think we were unusual, incidentally ...... and it was very labour intensive, including in back-up areas, such as pharmacy and the labs.
    And of course children have a dedicated carer or two available all the time.
  • Options
    Based off my earlier calcs - using electoralcalculus

SNP 39 seats !!
    Lab 16
    Con 3 - including Gain of Dumfries and Galloway - Tipped up by Stuart Dickson @ 25-1 !
    LD Hold 1 (Orkney and Shetland)

Doubt the results will be quite as dramatic as that but I think Scotland (For decades as volatile as cold porridge) WILL be the most exciting region wrt changes come election night.
  • Options
    SquareRootSquareRoot Posts: 7,095

Wunderbar, we've borrowed shedloads and shedloads and as well as importing all those goods we're importing people, lots of people too.

Where's my pension gone to ?? Brown stole my pension and only gave me 90% of it back.
  • Options
    SNP +6.5 Seats was available at 4-6 btw, no idea what the best price is now.
  • Options
    Roger said:

Audreyanne

"Amazingly good headlines for Cameron and the Conservatives this morning. Reports of the Tory death have been greatly exaggerated."

Good headlines from dismal newspapers count for nothing but you raise the interesting subject of the death of the Tory Party. Will the predicted election defeat next year lead to the disintegration of the party in its present present form? I suspect it will.....

Like it or not 'nasty' and 'Tory' have become synonymous and it seems there just aren't enough voters who think of themselves like that to push the party over the line. As I've often said re branding has to start with the name. In much the same way as a piece of Ratners jewelry says CHEAP so an X against Tory says NASTY.

Ironic when a much nastier party seem to be overtaking on the outside but that's why the corporate identity departments earn the big bucks.

Yeah, but Labour's overtaking will probably stop once people see them in power.

• Options

Where's my pension gone to ?? Brown stole my pension and only gave me 90% of it back.
    Given current annuity rates, Osborne might be handing you back less.
  • Options

Perhaps, but it's not one that's been picked up with all pollsters to that extent that it has with the YouGov figures you quote. Subsamples aren't balanced on polls of the standard c.1000-respondent size and so can vary quite substantially from poll to poll, particularly when only a small proportion, as a Scottish subsample is.
    Of course - but,

1) How many other companies have had polls in Scotland since INDYREF?
    2) There does appear to be a trend in the YouGov sub sample - albeit today back to 30:33!
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,049

http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/news/danielhannan/100288458/does-anyone-think-that-ed-miliband-would-be-the-better-prime-minister-anyone-at-all/

Give the boy his due.
    All either zero hours contracts or filled by immigrants or both , equals useless.
  • Options

Given current annuity rates, Osborne might be handing you back less.

They cant, they are not allowed to 90% it is if the scheme is bust as was mine.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited October 2014
    Pulpstar said:

SNP 39 seats !!
    Lab 16
    Con 3 - including Gain of Dumfries and Galloway - Tipped up by Stuart Dickson @ 25-1 !

Bloody hell! That will move the election result overall. If Labour lose 25 seats in Scotland they're in deep trouble. What Dave then does with most seats but no majority is anyone's guess. Confidence and supply with SNP? (and EVFEL?)
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,129
    Pulpstar said:

SNP 39 seats !!
    Lab 16

Doubt the results will be quite as dramatic as that but I think Scotland (For decades as volatile as cold porridge) WILL be the most exciting region wrt changes come election night.

A Westminster Parliament with the SNP rather than the LibDems holding the balance of power would be a thing to behold, whether with Labour or the Tories as senior partner....
  • Options

I don't quite know how old this hypothetical case is, but if they're say 80+ and have no next of kin a bit of run-of-the-mill bureaucratic bungling should see the back of them before anyone's very much older...

More likely, not getting it right leads to a hospital admission anyway, in a worse state.

This is the bread and butter of General Practice. It is why the GP is not there between morning and evening surgeries. But it is what is needed if in Leicester we close the 460 beds earmarked for closure.

It is demanding work with few thanks attached, and a lot of professional risk. It is why GPs retire early and are difficult to recruit.
  • Options
    Patrick said:

Pulpstar said:

SNP 39 seats !!
    Lab 16

Bloody hell! That will move the election result overall. If Labour lose 25 seats in Scotland they're in deep trouble. What Dave then does with most seats but no majority is anyone's guess. Confidence and supply with SNP? (and EVFEL?)
    For the overall "Big bet" its still a lay of Conservative Majority for me. Most seats could become trickier for Labour though...
  • Options
    MikeSmithsonMikeSmithson Posts: 7,382
    edited October 2014
    Patrick said:

Pulpstar said:

SNP 39 seats !!
    Lab 16

Unweighted Scottish subsamples are garbage. Wait for proper new Scotland polls which should be coming in the next week or so

There was a time when Scottish subsamples were banned on PB. Maybe we should introduce that rule again.

• Options
    Patrick said:

Pulpstar said:

SNP 39 seats !!
    Lab 16

Confidence and supply with SNP? (and EVFEL?)
    The SNP already practice EVEL.....
  • Options
    Patrick said:

Pulpstar said:

SNP 39 seats !!
    Lab 16

I can't see SNP-Con coalition, Labour are perhaps being hit because of the "red tory" meme the indy ref threw up, Lib Dems got the "Yellow tories" chucked at them too.

Sturgeon is if anything to the left of Salmond, and he'd have never have contemplated even a C&S arrangement to keep Dave in power.

The most the SNP will give is C&S to Labour I reckon but that would come with a metric TONNE of conditions and probably a 10% chance or so (If the numbers fit) ?
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

Give the boy his due.
    All either zero hours contracts or filled by immigrants or both , equals useless.
    A typically snobbish, xenophobic and inaccurate comment from MalcolmG. SNP loser.
  • Options
    I thought one of the more interesting announcements by Cameron yesterday that seems to have gone unremarked on here was the announcement that zero-hours contracts would be outlawed. Hardly the actions of a party whose economic fortunes have been built on the back of zero-hour contracts.

And another of Ed's foxes shot. What are the Trade Unions spending all that money for on propping up Labour, if the Tories will deliver them a key goal for free?
  • Options

More likely, not getting it right leads to a hospital admission anyway, in a worse state.

This is the bread and butter of General Practice. It is why the GP is not there between morning and evening surgeries. But it is what is needed if in Leicester we close the 460 beds earmarked for closure.

It is demanding work with few thanks attached, and a lot of professional risk. It is why GPs retire early and are difficult to recruit.
    I'm sure you're right.

It's compounded, at least in my inner London surgery, by an almost complete mismatch of the ethnic groups of the doctors, nurses and other staff on the one hand and the patients using the surgery on the other.

• Options
    The LD Leadership are hoping no one notices how dire the polls are. They hope to win 40+ seats, they look at betting that used to say 35 and think that is the worst and ignore polling that forecasts 25 or less.

With 10 of the 2010 LD MPs not standing again, we may see a few more changing their mind and retiring. Fewer incumbents.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

SNP 39 seats !!
    Lab 16

But is there any real sign that the SNP are aiming to win 20+ seats at the GE? Is Nicola going to change the previous strategy towards the HoC?
  • Options
    Re Scottish (& other) subsamples, Statgeek - http://www.statgeek.co.uk/ - from UK Polling report does good rolling analyses.

http://tinyurl.com/la7ht6w
  • Options
    PlatoPlato Posts: 15,724
    Mr Hannan remains one of my favourites - so glad he's my MEP.

I suppose some Lefties will come along and claim those aren't propah real jobs.

Give the boy his due.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,994
    Good morning, everyone.

F1: turns out my comment about paying attention to the weather in Japan was wise. A typhoon might stop the race taking place:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/formula1/29455024
  • Options

I thought one of the more interesting announcements by Cameron yesterday that seems to have gone unremarked on here was the announcement that zero-hours contracts would be outlawed. Hardly the actions of a party whose economic fortunes have been built on the back of zero-hour contracts.

And another of Ed's foxes shot. What are the Trade Unions spending all that money for on propping up Labour, if the Tories will deliver them a key goal for free?

except he didn't, he announced that zero hours contracts where the employer claims sole rights would be scrapped, a sensible move imo. Zero hour contracts where the employee can seek work from several people will still continue.
  • Options
    edited October 2014

Pulpstar said:

SNP 39 seats !!
    Lab 16

But is there any real sign that the SNP are aiming to win 20+ seats at the GE? Is Nicola going to change the previous strategy towards the HoC?
    How can she not? Full independence is dead for the foreseeable future, so why not aim to hold the balance of power - and Westminster firmly by the nuts? That way lies full tax raising powers, a golden bidet for every bathroom in Scotland, and anything else that the SNP can dream up.....
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,351
    DavidL said:

Oddly, the parties have swapped positions on the deficit. Labour's commitments are nearly all at the expense of someone other than the taxpayer - employers to pay higher minimum wage, electricity companies to freeze prices, companies recruiting foreign staff to hire apprentices at the same time, etc. The Tory focus on the deficit lasted just long enough to bash benefits, before 48 hours later announcing what appears to be an £8.2 bn commitment for tax-cutting.

To some extent that reflects what each party has to prove. Labour needs to persuade people that we're not mad spenders. The Tories need to persuade people that they'll get something out of economic recovery. But having caught up with Cameron's speech on News at Ten last night it seemed to me alternately implausible (trust me on defeating Europe, look at my record - er, yes Dave, you only lost 2-26 on Juncker), reactionary (knock people on benefits to give £1500 to people on £50K) and completely at odds in tone with the "deficit first" message on Monday. I'm sure the press enthusiasm will help in the polls, but the internal inconsistencies will make it difficult to maintain.

• Options

except he didn't, he announced that zero hours contracts where the employer claims sole rights would be scrapped, a sensible move imo. Zero hour contracts where the employee can seek work from several people will still continue.
    But that was the great injustice the Trade Unions and Labour had been complaining about. Job done. Fox shot.

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited October 2014

Pulpstar said:

SNP 39 seats !!
    Lab 16

How can she not? Full independence is dead for the foreseeable future, so why not aim to hold the balance of power - and Westminster firmly by the nuts? That way lies full tax raising powers, a golden bidet for every bathroom in Scotland, and anything else that the SNP can dream up.....
    Would the quid pro quo of that be EVFEL? I think the SNP are somewhat pro-EVFEL as it deepens the federal / quasi-independent status of Scotland. Dave may well be up for offering Scotland its golden bidets and the same to England - thereby screwing Labour (incl its Welsh MPs for many votes) in perpetuity. I wonder if the Tories getting 2 or 3 seats in Scotland and SNP winning huge is actually not a pretty good result for Dave.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,370
    R4 this morning - headlines zilch about Cam/the conf (maybe they thought it had been done to death yday?). Pretty strange.

Also, although perhaps I was half asleep, someone seemed to be blaming the UK cutting foreign aid for the outbreak of Ebola in Sierra Leone.

I mean do they write this stuff especially for Nige?
  • Options
    F1: from the gossip column, some rumblings Berger could take over from... Ron Dennis, whose future is apparently in doubt. Dennis, whose position as King of McLaren underwent a Dracula-esque revival shortly before this season started, made the moves whilst a very large shareholder was very ill (I think he had a double lung transplant, although I could be wrong).

So, that could explain why his second reign is already potentially nearing the end.
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,049

malcolmg said:

Give the boy his due.
    A typically snobbish, xenophobic and inaccurate comment from MalcolmG. SNP loser.
    That from a deluded fantasist..........LOL
  • Options
    Mr. Topping, was surprised ebola wasn't mentioned at all on News at Ten (ITV). Sick chap in America, he passed through Brussels, and 12-18 or so people he came into contact with in the US are under observation. Hopefully none of the others will be ill, and he'll recover, but it's potentially the start of a much bigger and horrendous story.
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    Speaking only for my own experience. I've spent 5 Friday nights/Sat mornings in A&E because my GP decided that my low potassium levels were likely to give me a heart attack. They just rang me up and said Get To A&E NOW. Why they couldn't give me something for my low potassium levels instead was never really clear. I was subsequently told to eat lots of bananas... once my in-patient meds ran out.

Whilst spending 6 or 7 hours at my leisure there - one has plenty of time to watch the passing trade. In Eastbourne DGH, I think I spotted or ended up in conservation with about 20 who were also waiting. I'd suggest that all of them had perfectly treatable-by-their-GP ailments or what used to be cottage hospitals. Minor cuts, a minorish dog bite or five, an infected cut, a DIY injury, a nasty case of irritable bowel, a back spasm etc. It seemed like a complete waste of very expensive time for us to be there clogging up the works.

I can't see how using A&E to do the work that GPs can makes any sense. None of the people I talked to seemed to want to be there either and would've preferred to see their GP or go somewhere less overloaded where they didn't feel like a burden/stupid. On the basis that We Wouldn't Start From Here - perhaps someone who's worked in A&E could suggest something here?

...Sure there were some drunk/off their meds psychiatric patients who were a complete handful - but they were in the minority. A number came in as traffic accident casualties or with a broken limb. Ditto confused old person who'd fallen over or collapsed. And a fair few that looked like heart attacks or something very urgent. These are the A&E types I expected to see - not so much the rest. What I didn't see even very often were fighting injuries. Maybe those guys are too hard to go to A&E unless they're a real mess!

SNIP

It would require a lot more extra staff, too. Particularly nurses, or senior HCAs. I A long time ago I worked somewhere where we had such a scheme for children ....... I wouldn’t think we were unusual, incidentally ...... and it was very labour intensive, including in back-up areas, such as pharmacy and the labs.
    And of course children have a dedicated carer or two available all the time.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,073
    David L I believe the tax cuts will not come in until a surplus is achieved
  • Options

But that was the great injustice the Trade Unions and Labour had been complaining about. Job done. Fox shot.

yes an oddly sensible and welcome move from the conservatives - what next they'll take economy seriously ?
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    @NickPalmer

"Labour's commitments are nearly all at the expense of someone other than the taxpayer... electricity companies to freeze prices."

You're kidding right!? Is this really the depth of thinking that exists in the Labour party about this?

We have huge needs for energy investment to meet future projected demand (https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/305860/DECC_Energy_investment_report_Web_Final.pdf)

This is on the current regulatory requirements. On top of this, Miliband has committed to an incredibly ambitious 100% renewables target in just 15 years:
    (http://www.theguardian.com/environment/2012/nov/22/ed-miliband-labour-decarbonisation-energy)

And the energy companies won't be allowed to raise bills for the first five years of that. Keep in mind that as you close in on 100%, it gets increasingly expensive to get each extra percent of renewables because all the cheap and moderate options have been fully exploited. You're not only decommissioning all the coal power plants, but all the gas-run ones too. And we can't use the shale gas either.

How on Earth are the electricity companies to pay for to meet this demand and these commitments without more revenue? The blindingly obvious answer is that they won't. The government will have to step in with a massive bailout. This will be a huge explosion of the deficit.

Do Labour people not think about these things? Do they just think "well energy companies are rich, we can just milk them for all our needs"? Is there no second-order thinking at all?

I guess that explains how such a terrible policy managed to get through.
  • Options

Patrick said:

Pulpstar said:

SNP 39 seats !!
    Lab 16

Unweighted Scottish subsamples are garbage. Wait for proper new Scotland polls which should be coming in the next week or so

There was a time when Scottish subsamples were banned on PB. Maybe we should introduce that rule again.
    Surely all unweighted sub samples are "garbage" - not just Scottish ones?

On the broader point, IF the trend in the YOUGOV in Scotland is replicated in a weighted poll and the SNP did do well in Westminster, how would a Labour C&S work, unless the SNP were to renounce their current practice of EVEL?

• Options

DavidL said:

Oddly, the parties have swapped positions on the deficit. Labour's commitments are nearly all at the expense of someone other than the taxpayer - employers to pay higher minimum wage, electricity companies to freeze prices, companies recruiting foreign staff to hire apprentices at the same time, etc. The Tory focus on the deficit lasted just long enough to bash benefits, before 48 hours later announcing what appears to be an £8.2 bn commitment for tax-cutting.

To some extent that reflects what each party has to prove. Labour needs to persuade people that we're not mad spenders. The Tories need to persuade people that they'll get something out of economic recovery. But having caught up with Cameron's speech on News at Ten last night it seemed to me alternately implausible (trust me on defeating Europe, look at my record - er, yes Dave, you only lost 2-26 on Juncker), reactionary (knock people on benefits to give £1500 to people on £50K) and completely at odds in tone with the "deficit first" message on Monday. I'm sure the press enthusiasm will help in the polls, but the internal inconsistencies will make it difficult to maintain.

Labour needs to persuade people that we're not mad spenders

how can you unpick a century of your history ? it's what you do.
  • Options

how would a Labour C&S work, unless the SNP were to renounce their current practice of EVEL?

Are 'confidence' votes not UK wide by definition?
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

Give the boy his due.
    Which of you was right about SINDY?
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,052
    Socrates said:

@NickPalmer

"Labour's commitments are nearly all at the expense of someone other than the taxpayer... electricity companies to freeze prices."

You're kidding right!? Is this really the depth of thinking that exists in the Labour party about this?

We have huge needs for energy investment to meet future projected demand (https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/305860/DECC_Energy_investment_report_Web_Final.pdf)

This is on the current regulatory requirements. On top of this, Miliband has committed to an incredibly ambitious 100% renewables target in just 15 years:
    (http://www.theguardian.com/environment/2012/nov/22/ed-miliband-labour-decarbonisation-energy)

And the energy companies won't be allowed to raise bills for the first five years of that. Keep in mind that as you close in on 100%, it gets increasingly expensive to get each extra percent of renewables because all the cheap and moderate options have been fully exploited. You're not only decommissioning all the coal power plants, but all the gas-run ones too. And we can't use the shale gas either.

How on Earth are the electricity companies to pay for to meet this demand and these commitments without more revenue? The blindingly obvious answer is that they won't. The government will have to step in with a massive bailout. This will be a huge explosion of the deficit.

Do Labour people not think about these things? Do they just think "well energy companies are rich, we can just milk them for all our needs"? Is there no second-order thinking at all?

I guess that explains how such a terrible policy managed to get through.

Miliband was in charge of DECC, and he appears to have learnt nothing from his dire time there. His latest pronouncements are just laughable without a step-change in technology and/or incredible levels of investment, and can only heavily increase prices for business and the consumer.

The guy's a twunt.
  • Options
    Patrick said:

Pulpstar said:

SNP 39 seats !!
    Lab 16

I think the SNP are somewhat pro-EVFEL
    As in "they currently practice it"?

• Options
    The price freeze of commodities was known to be nonsense in the 4th century AD, when Ammianus Marcellinus, normally supportive of Julian the Apostate, lambasted the emperor for the populist policy as, (the historian rightly asserted), such things were known to lead to shortages and even famine.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

how would a Labour C&S work, unless the SNP were to renounce their current practice of EVEL?

"supply'" would surely be non devolved (aka English) taxation?
  • Options
    My understanding wasn't that they'd be outlawed - but that the restrictive contract practice of not allowing a person to work for another employer was to be. IIUI, you can sign up now with Employer X and given no work, yet prevented from working for Company Y - that's not on, and an abuse of power in anyone's book.

I'm amazed that anything thought that sort of restriction of trade was legal in the first place. I've no problem with Zero Hour contracts otherwise - they can be a very useful way to fill up awkward shifts etc. It's just temping by another name without using an agency middleman.

• Options
    Scott_P said:

Yet they couldn't get their policy through if they didn't have a majority in England. It's not fair on the Scots that when governments they like get in, they will be destabilised by votes in England on English-only matters.

An English parliament is the answer.
  • Options

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

Give the boy his due.
    We had a load of nonsense from Malc about the response on the doorstep being better than the polls. I think Stuart Dickson chipped in with that nonsense too.

• Options
    Mr. Root, point of order: apparently private polling for Salmond indicated he was going to win.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

Give the boy his due.
    Salmond is "bagged, stuffed and mounted on my wall " according to victorious Cameron. LOL.

Angus, Moray and Perthshire, we salute you.
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    Without wishing to be mean to bruised Yes egos, I can't help but feel that their personal passion on the doorstep didn't help much. Browbeating someone into agreeing with you, isn't a real Yes.

It's an I'll Agree With You So You Go Away.

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

Give the boy his due.
    We had a load of nonsense from Malc about the response on the doorstep being better than the polls. I think Stuart Dickson chipped in with that nonsense too.

• Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,351
    HYUFD said:

David L I believe the tax cuts will not come in until a surplus is achieved

Or 2020, whichever happens first? Or is it whichever happens last?

• Options

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

Give the boy his due.

Dickson has shown himself to be a man of straw. Good riddance to the Swedish turnip.

• Options
    It certainly proved to be a *tipping point* for Mr Dickson. Has he ever returned since the result was declared for No?

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

Give the boy his due.

Dickson has shown himself to be a man of straw. Good riddance to the Swedish turnip.

This discussion has been closed.