Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » David Herdson on whether Miliband can breeze to victory on

SystemSystem Posts: 11,691
edited September 2014 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » David Herdson on whether Miliband can breeze to victory on the strength of not being Tory

Like many a football team 2-1 up in a cup tie with ten minutes to go, a cautious defensiveness seems to have settled over the Labour Party, judging by their conference just gone.  The contrast with last year’s headline-grabbing energy price freeze policy was stark.  The big announcements were to increase the minimum wage by about 4p a year more than the average RPI rate for the current par…

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    UKIP's Migration spokesman Steven Wolfe used a verse of this Kipling poem in his speech today and I thought given how much of UKIP's news heartlands are those where the Saxon's were prominent and is rather apt:

"My son," said the Norman Baron, "I am dying, and you will be heir
    To all the broad acres in England that William gave me for share
    When he conquered the Saxon at Hastings, and a nice little handful it is.
    But before you go over to rule it I want you to understand this:–

"The Saxon is not like us Normans. His manners are not so polite.
    But he never means anything serious till he talks about justice and right.
    When he stands like an ox in the furrow – with his sullen set eyes on your own,
    And grumbles, 'This isn't fair dealing,' my son, leave the Saxon alone.

"You can horsewhip your Gascony archers, or torture your Picardy spears;
    But don't try that game on the Saxon; you'll have the whole brood round your ears.
    From the richest old Thane in the county to the poorest chained serf in the field,
    They'll be at you and on you like hornets, and, if you are wise, you will yield.

"But first you must master their language, their dialect, proverbs and songs.
    Don't trust any clerk to interpret when they come with the tale of their wrongs.
    Let them know that you know what they're saying; let them feel that you know what to say.
    Yes, even when you want to go hunting, hear 'em out if it takes you all day.

They'll drink every hour of the daylight and poach every hour of the dark.
    It's the sport not the rabbits they're after (we've plenty of game in the park).
    Don't hang them or cut off their fingers. That's wasteful as well as unkind,
    For a hard-bitten, South-country poacher makes the best man- at-arms you can find.

"Appear with your wife and the children at their weddings and funerals and feasts.
    Be polite but not friendly to Bishops; be good to all poor parish priests.
    Say 'we,' 'us' and 'ours' when you're talking, instead of 'you fellows' and 'I.'
    Don't ride over seeds; keep your temper; and never you tell 'em a lie!"

Tory 'Normans' take note!
  • Options
    The United Nations Human Rights Council has passed a resolution in Geneva condemning a group of American hedge funds that took Argentina to court.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-latin-america-29387872

Remember the bonkers women from the UN over the bedroom tax, it seems there are even more of similar nutters representing nations at the UN...

Argentina keep defaulting on their debt and wanting to pay peanuts on the dollar and it the nasty hedge funds take Argentina to court because they keep breaking the contracts. How dare the hedge funds ask for the money they are legally owed.
  • Options
    If they have some dramatic populist policies planned like the energy price freeze they're probably better holding back the announcement for when they need it. It's never to late to pander.

As far as what happens once elected goes, I think David Herdson has it backwards. Policies that would be popular if announced now will generally be ineffective when applied in government; If they were both popular and effective, they'd already have been done by either this government or the last. In which case the less of these they promise now the less the disillusion when the policies either don't get delivered or turn out to be harmful.
  • Options
    JohnLoonyJohnLoony Posts: 1,790
    QTWTAIN

Incidentally, I always pronounce "QTWTAIN" in my mind as "quain". Does everybody else?
  • Options
    peter_from_putneypeter_from_putney Posts: 6,875
    edited September 2014
    David - you make it sound like a walk in the park for Labour - It certainly won't be that .... what seems likely to win it for Labour however is Cameron's ineffectiveness, put simply, he just hasn't got it, neither has Miliband for that matter, but people don't realise that yet.
    Incredible as it may seem, the great British Public seems ready and prepared to forgive Labour for delivering the greatest car crash of an economy ever seen in peace time. What this proves beyond doubt is that Labour is now firmly entrenched as the natural party of Government in this country and is likely to remain so for the foreseeable future. God help us all.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,014
    P-f-P, I don’t think the public at large blames Labour entirely for the financial car crash. It happened on Labour’s watch but, for many people, it was the malevolent “they” in the financial sector which caused it. Labour’s mistake was in not controlling them better. Or indeed, at all!

Mr Urquhart, up-thread, castigates the UN for attacking the hedge funds which are pursuing Argentina; an alternative view is that thse hedge (or vulture) funds bought up the debts from the unfortunate original lenders, at tenpence in the pound, and are now, Shylock-wise, demanding their pound, no matter what the cost to the Argentine in the street.

It’s similar here. Cameron and Osborne insisted at the start of their period in office that “we’re all in it together”, but to many, many people it doesn’t seem like that. Public service wages are held down, workers in many other industries are in a similar position but standards of living at the top and particularly in financial circles don’t seem to be affected and indeed seem to be rising. OK, it’s getting a little better now, but feelgood factors take a while to work through.

A side irony is that it was the money markets where Farage made the money which enables him to talk about being a “man of the people!”.
  • Options
    GadflyGadfly Posts: 1,191
    I suspect that Labour noticed that 45% of Scots voted for a dream.

Keeping any populist policies up their sleeve reduces opportunity for scrutiny, whilst hiding unpopular policies avoids scaring the horses. Pretend everything will be lovely, and power awaits.
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,288
    Miliband's local election campaign was not managed well, bungled photo ops, poor choice of photos of the great man - plenty of spot the activists posing as ordinary people in shots.

Labour candidates leaving him off election literature
  • Options

UKIP's Migration spokesman Steven Wolfe used a verse of this Kipling poem in his speech today and I thought given how much of UKIP's news heartlands are those where the Saxon's were prominent and is rather apt:

But don't try that game on the Saxon; you'll have the whole brood round your ears.
    From the richest old Thane in the county to the poorest chained serf in the field,
    They'll be at you and on you like hornets, and, if you are wise, you will yield.

Don't trust any clerk to interpret when they come with the tale of their wrongs.
    Let them know that you know what they're saying; let them feel that you know what to say.

It's the sport not the rabbits they're after (we've plenty of game in the park).
    For a hard-bitten, South-country poacher makes the best man- at-arms you can find.

"Appear with your wife and the children at their weddings and funerals and feasts.
    Say 'we,' 'us' and 'ours' when you're talking, instead of 'you fellows' and 'I.'

Kipling was really talking about India though, wasn't he?
  • Options
    "Is that all there is?" Apparently so, sadly. Fundamentally none of the politicians have the answer how to fix a broken economy, not here, not anywhere. So whilst I'd like us to say "we rebuilt this country after WWII, we can do it now", I appear to be in the minority. I see things like Top Gear in Spain laughing at empty cities motorways and airports and I think " at least they built things". Our infrastructure is crumbling and inadequate, we have a vast shortage of houses, we have pension funds and savers and investors desperate for something safe and long term to invest in. So simples - the government announces mass construction projects, people invest, we rebuild. People get jobs with actual salary as opposed to the explosion in "self employment", they pay tax, they spend, the economy rebuilds.

Or we can sit fiddling at the margins......
  • Options
    FregglesFreggles Posts: 3,486
    Was the glossed over announcement by Burnham that social care would be brought into the NHS not significant then?
  • Options
    I profoundly disagree with David (and those of you who have posted comments broadly supportive of him).

First, the polls are in uncharted territory, viz:- a fixed-term Parliament. I suspect there are still a lot of floating voters out there, who may say this to a pollster or they may say that, but are a long way from feeling strongly about it.

Second, the historical record is that the Tories always campaign far better than Labour does (I think this was even true in 1997) and go up about 3 points in the polls, which Labour go down.

Third, it is hard not to see Cameron trashing Miliband in the TV debates (although also not hard to see Farage trashing the pair of them).

For this reason I predict a popular vote result (%ages) about: Con 35, Lab 25, UKIP 23, others the rest, with the SNP, standing only in Scotland of course, outpolling the Lib Dems standing throughout Britain.

That ought to produce a Tory landslide, but Electoral Calculus says it won't. I'm not sure how much faith to put in their model these days, but if it's right, then Tory activists will compare 2010 with 1983 and demand serious change in the system. And I'm not talking PR, either. Constituency boundaries based on residential property values, perhaps?
  • Options

I profoundly disagree with David (and those of you who have posted comments broadly supportive of him).

First, the polls are in uncharted territory, viz:- a fixed-term Parliament. I suspect there are still a lot of floating voters out there, who may say this to a pollster or they may say that, but are a long way from feeling strongly about it.

Second, the historical record is that the Tories always campaign far better than Labour does (I think this was even true in 1997) and go up about 3 points in the polls, which Labour go down.

Third, it is hard not to see Cameron trashing Miliband in the TV debates (although also not hard to see Farage trashing the pair of them).

For this reason I predict a popular vote result (%ages) about: Con 35, Lab 25, UKIP 23, others the rest, with the SNP, standing only in Scotland of course, outpolling the Lib Dems standing throughout Britain.

That ought to produce a Tory landslide, but Electoral Calculus says it won't. I'm not sure how much faith to put in their model these days, but if it's right, then Tory activists will compare 2010 with 1983 and demand serious change in the system. And I'm not talking PR, either. Constituency boundaries based on residential property values, perhaps?

I really can't envisage Labour sinking below 28%. Based on the core vote, maxing out the NHS vote...
  • Options
    Gadfly said:

Keeping any populist policies up their sleeve reduces opportunity for scrutiny, whilst hiding unpopular policies avoids scaring the horses. Pretend everything will be lovely, and power awaits.

To vote for a dream, someone has to be offering one. Despite Miliband talking until Christmas and claiming to have a ten-year vision (a helpful get-out clause for 2020, by the way), there wasn't any big dream linked to the real world.

To answer my own question, yes, he can breeze though but only if the other parties don't subject him and his party's policies to much greater scrutiny. I don't think there is any big announcement waiting to be made. Sure, there'll be more detail and more padding come next year but you run with your big announcements well in advance to build that dream that people can buy into. You can't fatten a pig on market day.
  • Options
    SmarmeronSmarmeron Posts: 5,099
    @Freggles
    According to one possible outcome for the economy, you could borrow money for infrastructure at negative rates.
    ( depending how much you trust economists)

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-29377075
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,351
    The caution reminds me of 1997, when the famous Labour pledge card offered commitments so modest that they were overachieved with ease. Blair took the view that potential Labour voters were reasonably persuaded that Labour's heart was in the right place, but wary that we tended to over-promise, so they needed to see objectives which any reasonable person could see were achievable.

The current position is of course different in many ways and no 1997-like landslide is in the offing, but the basic approach of a reformist party not offering heaven on a plate remains sensible.
  • Options
    Freggles said:

Was the glossed over announcement by Burnham that social care would be brought into the NHS not significant then?

Yes it was. It shows that Labour cares more about the votes of NHS workers than they do of NHS patients (so they can go on paying Union subs some of which leak back to the Party). The Tories, by contrast, care only about the replacement of the NHS by US healthcare corporations who, unlike NHS Trusts, can contribute to Party coffers. That is to say, both Parties have health policies designed to fund themselves, and b*gger the consequences.

And what would those consequences be? A (relatively) high quality service under Labour, but complicated means-testing and so more bureaucracy and waste.

Under the Tories, a more rational payment system - I assume they'll go for everyone pays for their health insurance up to a certain age (35? 40? 45?) after which the State picks up the balance of the tab - easy to move the cut-off age upwards as time goes by. A crumbling edge of quality as the healthcare corporations withdraw services piece by piece - chiropody this year, counselling next and so forth.

Will either of them explain this during the election campaign? What do you think?

• Options

Freggles said:

Yes ablit was. It shows that Labour cares more about the votes of NHS workers than they do of NHS patients (so they can go on paying Union subs some of which leak back to the Party). The Tories, by contrast, care only about the replacement of the NHS by US healthcare corporations who, unlike NHS Trusts, can contribute to Party coffers. That is to say, both Parties have health policies designed to fund themselves, and b*gger the consequences.

And what would those consequences be? A (relatively) high quality service under Labour, but complicated means-testing and so more bureaucracy and waste.

Under the Tories, a more rational payment system - I assume they'll go for everyone pays for their health insurance up to a certain age (35? 40? 45?) after which the State picks up the balance of the tab - easy to move the cut-off age upwards as time goes by. A crumbling edge of quality as the healthcare corporations withdraw services piece by piece - chiropody this year, counselling next and so forth.

Will either of them explain this during the election campaign? What do you think?

I disagree, I foresee Labour integrating health and social care which would allow them to offload some of the pressure onto councils and local tax raising. That coupled with serious centralisation (since Trusts would be able to cooperate, e.g agree not to compete).
    Tories will look for quick fixes like charging for mixed appointments and criminalising neglect
  • Options
    Freggles said:

I really can't envisage Labour sinking below 28%. Based on the core vote, maxing out the NHS vote...
    Labour could easily sink way below 28%; just not by 2015. If Miliband does form a government - and personally, I think it more likely than not - I'd expect Labour to be polling in the teens by 2017. Indeed, Miliband may well be Labour's last prime minister. We now have a very fluid party system based on brittle foundations (sorry for the mixed metaphor). Look at what has happened to Pasok in Greece.
  • Options
    MonksfieldMonksfield Posts: 2,203

David - you make it sound like a walk in the park for Labour - It certainly won't be that .... what seems likely to win it for Labour however is Cameron's ineffectiveness, put simply, he just hasn't got it, neither has Miliband for that matter, but people don't realise that yet.
    Incredible as it may seem, the great British Public seems ready and prepared to forgive Labour for delivering the greatest car crash of an economy ever seen in peace time. What this proves beyond doubt is that Labour is now firmly entrenched as the natural party of Government in this country and is likely to remain so for the foreseeable future. God help us all.

Maybe that's because many people are not so stupid as to believe the Tory meme that it was all Labour's fault We all saw that everybody else's economy crashed at the same time, and given that NuLab was basically guilty of stealing Tory clothes with, I grant you, a smidge of extra public spending, the crash would have come whoever was in charge.
  • Options
    audreyanneaudreyanne Posts: 1,376
    Labour won't win the election. They won't even come close.

Just returning to something I spotted from last night:
    Plato said:

What do you think is driving [UKIP anti-the-war] views? Being contrary? Something else?

I'd love to understand this better. I felt 6 months ago that I knew what Brand Kipper was - now I've no idea.

Socrates said:

The more I think about this military intervention the more I support it - and the more I'm feeling alienated from many Ukippers that seem to be knee jerk anti-war.

Plato et. al. I think it's isolationism. That was a strong strand in the Republican right across the pond. That answers the question of coherence. Putting it less charitably than 'Isolationism' you could describe it as Little Englander or ostrich mentality.
  • Options
    MikeSmithsonMikeSmithson Posts: 7,382
    edited September 2014

Gadfly said:

To vote for a dream, someone has to be offering one. Despite Miliband talking until Christmas and claiming to have a ten-year vision (a helpful get-out clause for 2020, by the way), there wasn't any big dream linked to the real world.

To answer my own question, yes, he can breeze though but only if the other parties don't subject him and his party's policies to much greater scrutiny. I don't think there is any big announcement waiting to be made. Sure, there'll be more detail and more padding come next year but you run with your big announcements well in advance to build that dream that people can buy into. You can't fatten a pig on market day.
    Not discussed this for a long time but my chart on levels of 2010 LD switching look very solid. With them on board all LAB needs to ensure is that the level of seepage from the party to UKIP is lower than the Tories are experiencing. If that's the case he is home and dry.

• Options

Freggles said:

Labour could easily sink way below 28%; just not by 2015. If Miliband does form a government - and personally, I think it more likely than not - I'd expect Labour to be polling in the teens by 2017. Indeed, Miliband may well be Labour's last prime minister. We now have a very fluid party system based on brittle foundations (sorry for the mixed metaphor). Look at what has happened to Pasok in Greece.
    Yeah, that's possible. I think we might see a lib lab government, followed by a Tory UKIP coalition
  • Options
    MonksfieldMonksfield Posts: 2,203
    I see our great stewards of the economy are now proposing to flog new builds at ever bigger discount to first time buyers. Wouldn't it be better to recognise that the housing market is utterly broken? It won't help people who have invested in their first home at over the odds and can't afford to move on up. And are these direct subsidies to the homebuilders the best use of taxpayers money. No. What they're really doing is stacking another layer on the house of cards. As Peter from Putney did say, God help us..
  • Options

The caution reminds me of 1997, when the famous Labour pledge card offered commitments so modest that they were overachieved with ease. Blair took the view that potential Labour voters were reasonably persuaded that Labour's heart was in the right place, but wary that we tended to over-promise, so they needed to see objectives which any reasonable person could see were achievable.

The current position is of course different in many ways and no 1997-like landslide is in the offing, but the basic approach of a reformist party not offering heaven on a plate remains sensible.

Comparing Labour in 2014 to 1997 is so hilarious it makes me wonder how you were ever a MP Nick. I mean, seriously, is that what you think? Labour didn't need to do much then because the 1992-7 Tories were ripping themselves to shreds through in-fighting, sleaze and destruction of their economic credibility.

David - you make it sound like a walk in the park for Labour - It certainly won't be that .... what seems likely to win it for Labour however is Cameron's ineffectiveness, put simply, he just hasn't got it,

On the contrary, I think Cameron has shown himself to be a great, and possibly very great, leader. Holding together a coalition with the LibDems with considerable aplomb even to the point where they just voted to go to war, is a remarkable achievement. Every time people knock him, he shows them wrong: so, for instance, over the Indyref where he did a damned good job (as did Gordon Brown).

I am convinced the Conservatives will win the General Election outright.
  • Options
    Freggles said:

Freggles said:

Yeah, that's possible. I think we might see a lib lab government, followed by a Tory UKIP coalition
    A Conservative-UKIP coalition would fracture both parties, more than the current coalition has fractured the Lib Dems and Conservatives. I simply cannot see it working.
  • Options

Gadfly said:

Not discussed this for a long time but my chart on levels of 2010 LD switching look very solid. With them on board all LAB needs to ensure is that the level of seepage from the party to UKIP is lower than the Tories are experiencing. If that's the case he is home and dry.

LD-Lab switching is one of the three crucial numbers for 2015. The others are, as you say (or imply), Lab-Others switching and Con-Others (mainly UKIP) switching. There's been virtually no Con-Lab movement.

At the moment, all three look good for Labour but the weakest for them is the second one. It's not just Lab to UKIP but to Green and SNP too. If Labour do lose the election, that's where it's currently most likely to happen. But as I said earlier, at the moment, it's more likely than not that Miliband will form a government after the election.
  • Options
    MrsBMrsB Posts: 574
    @Freggles bringing social care into the NHS would be disastrous; all the effort at the moment is going into the right thing: getting social care services properly integrated between NHS and councils. Local flexibility, local reactiveness, local control, local efficiencies etc etc are what are needed, not monolithic NHS, duplicate budgets, artificial lines between health and council services. The way the NHS funding and culture works, it's nearly all focused on treating people who are already ill or in need of treatment; councils are much more focused on keeping people well so that they don't need to go down the more expensive route of funding medicial treatment. Better for the public purse and better for the individuals. So better all round.
    Burnham presided over Stafford. Enough said about his credentials for being health secretary.
  • Options

I see our great stewards of the economy are now proposing to flog new builds at ever bigger discount to first time buyers. Wouldn't it be better to recognise that the housing market is utterly broken? It won't help people who have invested in their first home at over the odds and can't afford to move on up. And are these direct subsidies to the homebuilders the best use of taxpayers money. No. What they're really doing is stacking another layer on the house of cards. As Peter from Putney did say, God help us..

Agree on housing.All the parties are trying to paper over the cracks, rather than look at the structural issues behind housing demand.
  • Options
    @Monksfield
    The housing market (and many others) has been broken for a long time now, unfortunately it is profitably broken for a minority.
    We have now reached the state where our economy relies on smoke and mirrors to keep it afloat.
    Anything that brings housing costs down to a sensible level breaks one of the mirrors.
  • Options
    Good morning, everyone.

Being 'not the evil Tories' works when people feel they have nowhere else to turn.

The Lib Dems are weak, but there are alternatives. The SNP in Scotland, UKIP in northern England. In the south and Wales being an evil Tory is less of a problem because, respectively, in the south they're just not seen as evil and in Wales the Labour-run administration is universally adored.

Labour's problem (aside from negative campaigning) is that Miliband just isn't inspiring, even in a small way.
  • Options

Gadfly said:

T

LD-Lab switching is one of the three crucial numbers for 2015. The others are, as you say (or imply), Lab-Others switching and Con-Others (mainly UKIP) switching. There's been virtually no Con-Lab movement.

At the moment, all three look good for Labour but the weakest for them is the second one. It's not just Lab to UKIP but to Green and SNP too. If Labour do lose the election, that's where it's currently most likely to happen. But as I said earlier, at the moment, it's more likely than not that Miliband will form a government after the election.
    I think Mike's mantra is misguided. It's an outdated myopian static model. 'The electorate' now are fluid, dynamic and lacking loyalties. There is also a lot of anger in the mix. Relying on fixed past models is deeply flawed.

Agree on housing.All the parties are trying to paper over the cracks, rather than look at the structural issues behind housing demand.
    Supply and demand. It's a small country and they aren't making land anymore, ergo house prices will remain high.
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    Freggles said:

Freggles said:

Yes ablit was. It shows that Labour cares more about the votes of NHS workers than they do of NHS patients (so they can go on paying Union subs some of which leak back to the Party). The Tories, by contrast, care only about the replacement of the NHS by US healthcare corporations who, unlike NHS Trusts, can contribute to Party coffers. That is to say, both Parties have health policies designed to fund themselves, and b*gger the consequences.

I disagree, I foresee Labour integrating health and social care which would allow them to offload some of the pressure onto councils and local tax raising. That coupled with serious centralisation (since Trusts would be able to cooperate, e.g agree not to compete).
    Tories will look for quick fixes like charging for mixed appointments and criminalising neglect
    Burnham's plan for integrating health and social care with increased democratic control via local councillors is quite a revolutionary one. It is de-facto devolution of health spending to English local government.

Its success or failure will come down to money, at the moment the councils are hoping to plunder NHS budgets to cover their own shortfalls.

It is already underway to an extent. Despite all the rhetoric about NHS privatisation by the evil coalition, this is already underway via the benignly named Better Care Fund:

http://www.england.nhs.uk/ourwork/part-rel/transformation-fund/

This is how the Five Year Plan looks in Leicester:

http://www.leicestershospitals.nhs.uk/aboutus/our-purpose-strategy-and-values/our-strategy/

We are planning to close one of the 3 Leicester Hospitals with a loss of 461 beds. Many of us are very sceptical that it can be delivered, without far more investment in transformation funds.
  • Options
    Smarmeron said:

@Monksfield
    The housing market (and many others) has been broken for a long time now, unfortunately it is profitably broken for a minority.
    We have now reached the state where our economy relies on smoke and mirrors to keep it afloat.
    Anything that brings housing costs down to a sensible level breaks one of the mirrors.

Absolutely. I did a wee bit of research (for another reason) and discovered that whilst the general price level has tripled in the last 30 years, house prices in London rose by a factor of 20

This is very nice for people who exercised the RTB in the 1980s and can now live in Crete or the Algarve or wherever by renting out their ex-Council flat bit it's hard to think of any other winners.

• Options
    MrsB said:

@Freggles bringing social care into the NHS would be disastrous; all the effort at the moment is going into the right thing: getting social care services properly integrated between NHS and councils. Local flexibility, local reactiveness, local control, local efficiencies etc etc are what are needed, not monolithic NHS, duplicate budgets, artificial lines between health and council services. The way the NHS funding and culture works, it's nearly all focused on treating people who are already ill or in need of treatment; councils are much more focused on keeping people well so that they don't need to go down the more expensive route of funding medicial treatment. Better for the public purse and better for the individuals. So better all round.
    Burnham presided over Stafford. Enough said about his credentials for being health secretary.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stafford_Hospital_scandal
    http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Andrew_Burnham

No he didn't.
    He arrived years after the problem had started and launched two inquiries, one less than two months after his appointment.
  • Options
    YBarddCwscYBarddCwsc Posts: 7,172
    "If Miliband does form a government - and personally, I think it more likely than not - I'd expect Labour to be polling in the teens by 2017. Indeed, Miliband may well be Labour's last prime minister."

A while back, Henry G Manson said in one of his many insightful posts that he expected Labour to win the election and then to become very, very unpopular.

I think that is right.

The surprising thing about the Scottish referendum was the ease with which the core Labour vote was fractured in the Central Belt.

There must be a real possibility that Labour will break up, if they win.

Because that is what happened in Central Belt. The more radical or deprived part of the Labour vote detached itself and aligned with the SNP.

• Options
    SquareRootSquareRoot Posts: 7,095
    edited September 2014

Smarmeron said:

@Monksfield

Absolutely. I did a wee bit of research (for another reason) and discovered that whilst the general price level has tripled in the last 30 years, house prices in London rose by a factor of 20

This is very nice for people who exercised the RTB in the 1980s and can now live in Crete or the Algarve or wherever by renting out their ex-Council flat bit it's hard to think of any other winners.

There wont be too many of those, the pound has collapsed from 1.66 to abut 1.25 so its not all roses, in fact some are stuck there on hard times and can't get back
    As always the theory isn't the same as in practise.

I am thinking hard about this subject right now, do the numbers stack up?
  • Options
    edited September 2014

Agree with you wholeheartedly IA, with the exception that I think the Conservatives will get close to 40%, and possibly above it. And I think UKIP will be a little lower (mid teens) than that under election scrutiny, whilst Labour 29-31%. But that's splitting hairs in an excellent riposte to the nonsense being written about Labour coasting home. The reason you are right is exactly as you say: the fixed term parliament has meant no-one is thinking of how they will vote. What we do have at the moment is a lot of anger and protest going on. I suggested the other day that 99% of the current electorate is 'floating' which was hyperbole, but it's certainly a very high figure once you discount the 1% who are party members.

I am increasingly of the view that opinion polls will continue to mean very little or nothing until February / March. The polls to watch are the ones indicating how people are feeling on issues and on the leaders. (Because these are the true litmus tests when no-one is considering the General Election.) And on these counts The Conservatives win.

The Tories will rip Labour to shreds over economic competence and whatever Mike might like to think, you cannot win a General Election in Britain without trust on the economy.
  • Options
    EasterrossEasterross Posts: 1,915
    Morning all and a very good thread David. A dangerous strategy indeed on the part of Labour. One word could blow the whole thing apart, "Scotland". It is quite clear that the SNP aims to replace SLAB as the principal centre-left party and the election of Nicola Sturgeon will see any pretence of a centrist policy disappear as she and her Central Belt bias set out to pick off Labour MPs, starting with those in whose constituencies there was a large YES vote.

Roughly half of Scotland's Labour MPs will presumably be targeted and while their enormous majorities might suggest most are safe, after the referendum vote, surely all bets must be off. It will be interesting to hear how many more SLAB MPs decide to retire in May, starting with G Brown and A Darling.
  • Options
    @Innocent_Abroad
    Housing is no longer seen as a necessity, it has become a banked currency in Britain.
    Building an insufficient amount of housing is socially bad, but it keeps the ROI for those that can afford to buy into the market high.
  • Options

"If Miliband does form a government - and personally, I think it more likely than not - I'd expect Labour to be polling in the teens by 2017. Indeed, Miliband may well be Labour's last prime minister."

A while back, Henry G Manson said in one of his many insightful posts that he expected Labour to win the election and then to become very, very unpopular.

I think that is right.

The surprising thing about the Scottish referendum was the ease with which the core Labour vote was fractured in the Central Belt.

There must be a real possibility that Labour will break up, if they win.

Because that is what happened in Central Belt. The more radical or deprived part of the Labour vote detached itself and aligned with the SNP.

The SNP and UKIP occupy very different places on the left-right spectrum.

However, in a marriage it is the first infidelity that does the damage.

• Options
    Smarmeron said:

@Innocent_Abroad
    Housing is no longer seen as a necessity, it has become a banked currency in Britain.
    Building an insufficient amount of housing is socially bad, but it keeps the ROI for those that can afford to buy into the market high.

I'll buy that if you can tell me when the change happened. What do you think Macmillan was selling with his drive for home ownership in the 1950s let alone Thatcher's RTB a generation later?

Clue: the drivers of house prices in London haven't had UK passports...

• Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,315
    If we're honest, the truth is that nobody knows what will happen. There are too many factors and too many contradictory indicators:

1) There has not been a coalition fighting a peacetime election as separate parties in the age of universal suffrage (since Lloyd George's defenestration in 1922, to be exact);

2) There have never been fixed-term parliaments with known election dates before;

3) The current state of Scotland means guesses about what seats are likely to go where are just that - guesses - and that cannot be good for Labour but at the same time is scarcely positive for the Conservatives;

4) It is also conceivable, contra to @Morris_Dancer‌, that anger against the Labour government in Wales will cause some major upsets there - in particular, keep an eye on Cardiff South and Penarth;

5) Labour are going to have to deal with a certain amount of tactical unwind, which means they may start winning votes in seats where they don't have a chance of winning;

6) No first time government has increased its share of the vote since 1955;

7) At the same time, no opposition party has ever got into power while being behind on both leadership and economic competence, indicators where Labour are currently third (after the Conservatives and daylight).

So what conclusions can we draw? None! It is very easy to say Labour should be doing better (and they should be, because bluntly under the circumstances they should have a 15 point lead in the polls) but at the same time it's hard to see the Conservatives getting more than 34% unless something dramatic happens. Speculation is great fun, but in the absence of sufficient data we can't speculate with certainty.

So the betting implications are - save your money for the 3.30 at Doncaster.
  • Options

<

Supply and demand. It's a small country and they aren't making land anymore, ergo house prices will remain high.
    It's much more complex than that; land is only a small portion of house prices in most areas of the country, especially as successive governments have imposed minimum number of houses per acre in large developments.

The problems also vary from area to area; from second- and third- home owners in scenic areas pricing out locals, to buy-to-let'ters living off large portfolios, to NIMBYs arguing against every single development because their area is special, to the way the majority of people want a garden and garage (or at least a parking space).

The solutions are also massively complex and red-hot potatoes for any government to tackle.
  • Options
    @Innocent_Abroad
    I think that it was in a large part due to the RTB, which while being popular, had unforeseen consequences. Foreign buyers are mainly jumping onto the bandwagon, and often for different reasons.
    The reasons are unimportant except for a bit of finger pointing, it needs fixed no matter the original cause.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,332
    Maybe it is the beautiful autumn sunshine (always my favourite light of the year) or the fact it is my birthday but I am getting a little more optimistic for the Tories at the next election. Labour are undoubtedly in a very strong position and with a half decent leader, let alone a Blair, they would be home and hosed. But they don't have one, they have Ed.

I rate Cameron far more highly than most on these threads but even if I were wrong about that he is indisputably a different and better class of campaigner than Ed. When I looked at the Labour Conference I did not see wise caution, I saw a party paralysed under a leader that makes Gordon Brown look decisive, who is terrified of sharing the limelight with his team (700 words for the shadow cabinet ) and who cannot decide on anything other than the wonders of the NHS and how much he hates the Tories.

It is not enough and it has given the Tories a chance to once again set the agenda and the nature of the discussion over the next few months.
  • Options
    Mr. Doethur, ahem. I meant to have the word 'not' ahead of 'universally adored' when describing the Welsh Government.

My mistake.
  • Options
    TheWatcherTheWatcher Posts: 5,262
    Freggles said:

Yes, it's been noted that Labour are planning another reorganisation of Everyone's NHS.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

If we're honest, the truth is that nobody knows what will happen. There are too many factors and too many contradictory indicators:

1) There has not been a coalition fighting a peacetime election as separate parties in the age of universal suffrage (since Lloyd George's defenestration in 1922, to be exact);

2) There have never been fixed-term parliaments with known election dates before;

3) The current state of Scotland means guesses about what seats are likely to go where are just that - guesses - and that cannot be good for Labour but at the same time is scarcely positive for the Conservatives;

4) It is also conceivable, contra to @Morris_Dancer‌, that anger against the Labour government in Wales will cause some major upsets there - in particular, keep an eye on Cardiff South and Penarth;

5) Labour are going to have to deal with a certain amount of tactical unwind, which means they may start winning votes in seats where they don't have a chance of winning;

6) No first time government has increased its share of the vote since 1955;

7) At the same time, no opposition party has ever got into power while being behind on both leadership and economic competence, indicators where Labour are currently third (after the Conservatives and daylight).

So what conclusions can we draw? None! It is very easy to say Labour should be doing better (and they should be, because bluntly under the circumstances they should have a 15 point lead in the polls) but at the same time it's hard to see the Conservatives getting more than 34% unless something dramatic happens. Speculation is great fun, but in the absence of sufficient data we can't speculate with certainty.

So the betting implications are - save your money for the 3.30 at Doncaster.

Really good post, but I'll be picky about point No.6. I don't think that compares like for like precisely because, as you say elsewhere, we're in unchartered territory with this peace time coalition.

There is virtually no chance the Conservatives will poll as low as 34% with the economic recovery under way. Another way to consider this is how the Conservatives have steadily rebuilt their support following 1992 Black Wednesday (because economic trust is crucial):

1997 30%
    2001 31%
    2005 33%
    2010 36%

I reckon 2015 will continue the trend: 39-40%
  • Options
    Freggles said:

MrsB said:

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stafford_Hospital_scandal
    http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Andrew_Burnham

No he didn't.
    He arrived years after the problem had started and launched two inquiries, one less than two months after his appointment.
    A lie is round the world before the truth has his boots on.

There was a decade of warnings about Staffordshire hospitals; with most of the scandalous events taking place in the late noughties:

http://witchdoctor.wordpress.com/2013/02/15/mid-staffordshire-a-decade-of-warnings/

Andy Burnham became minister of Health in June 2009, and instigated the investigations. It is a classic case of shooting the messenger to blame him.

The rot started under Milburn, worsened under Reid, became dire under the disastrous Hewitt, but it was Alan Johnson who granted Foundation Trust status in 2008.

Mid Staffordshire was a New Labour Scandal, but not Burnhams.
  • Options

Freggles said:

Yes, it's been noted that Labour are planning another reorganisation of Everyone's NHS.
    No, Andy Burnham has been clear that there will be no top-down mandate for change, just permission for health economies to reform in their own time - which is Simon Stevens' position too.
    The only top-down measure will be the repeal of the Act
  • Options

Smarmeron said:

@Innocent_Abroad

I'll buy that if you can tell me when the change happened. What do you think Macmillan was selling with his drive for home ownership in the 1950s let alone Thatcher's RTB a generation later?

Clue: the drivers of house prices in London haven't had UK passports...

I agree wholeheartedly with the negative comments on our housing 'industry' (how come a place to live is an 'industry'?) but with one important caveat. The real problem is not a lack of house building, although that is a problem. The real problem is that we have allowed all housing demand to be concentrated in one totally unsuitable area, while there is plenty of space for housing in areas where there is no demand for it.

London is the stupidest imaginable place for a capital or indeed a major city. It's built on a swamp, so its foundations are shaky. It's in the driest area of England, so its water supplies are always under pressure. It's out on a limb from the rest of the country, so it's not easy to get to, and when you do get there, it's not actually that easy to get around (it takes far too long to get from say, Hammersmith to Greenwich, although why anyone would want to make such a journey I don't know). Because it is also home to a lot of industry, but has limited space for major infrastructure, its power supply is also under constant pressure. Yet this is where the housing market causes the most extensive problems - it's where houses are needed and cannot be built, while existing houses are sold for absurd prices, and because it's where politicians and bankers live, they have a tendency to extrapolate its problems on to the rest of the country, meaning the whole thing is skewed out of proportion (and of course, where they have second homes they skew that market too and still don't get the reality). Where I live, in Cannock, I looked at buying a rather nice three-bedroom house with garden and separate dining room for £90k (although I didn't buy it in the end). In London, I hate to think what it would cost - yet it's the London prices that get mentioned in the papers despite the fact that over half the country will be closer to Cannock's situation.
    (continued)

• Options
    (continued)
    The realistic solution, grandiose though it is, is to move the capital out of London and to the North of England, where water supplies are plentiful, space is much easier to find and there is ample scope to adapt and improve existing power and transport networks. That would take a lot of the pressure off the south east and at the same time help the north. It would also rebalance house prices to a great extent. It could give a boost to the construction industry. It might even oblige our élite politicians to reconnect with the country outside the M25.

And of course, it will never happen because no politician will have the guts to upset 6 million voters in London, however much it would benefit them and everyone else in the medium term.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,125
    Staying in Barra as the only Tory in a big house full of Labourites, it was entertaining to witness their embarrassment with Ed Miliband, It struck me they were confronted with a bullet that thankfully as a life-long Tory I had dodged - namely, could I in all conscience have voted in 2005 for Iain Duncan-Smith to be our Prime Minister?

My friends were smart enough to know that "We're not the Tories!" doesn't amount to anything much, when by necessity of having no money, Prime Minister Ed Miliband will just be Evil Baby-Eating Tory-Lite. Ed's Big Conference Theme of "Togetherism" was supposed to be his rebranding of Socialism for the Twenty-First Century. But it fails miserably as a slogan because it just reminds us all of the past five years - Osborne's "We're all in this TOGETHER...."

And that merely reinforces that there is nothing very different between the parties, will be nothing very different between the parties. With the exception of one leadership that has delivered the best performing economy in the G8, versus a guy who can't eat a bacon sandwich or kiss his wife or remember THE BIG TWO THINGS VOTERS WANT TO HEAR ABOUT. "We're not the Tories!" gets top-trumped by "We're not very good..."

If there was a palatable alternative, my Labour chums would vote for it. I suspect a couple will peel off to the Greens, a couple will stay loyal, but a few more might well defect to the Can't Be Arsed Party. As I suspect I would have done, confronted with voting for IDS....
  • Options

Mr. Doethur, ahem. I meant to have the word 'not' ahead of 'universally adored' when describing the Welsh Government.

My mistake.

I did wonder, MD - it seemed such a strange thing to say! No worries!
  • Options
    Freggles said:

Freggles said:

No, Andy Burnham has been clear that there will be no top-down mandate for change, just permission for health economies to reform in their own time - which is Simon Stevens' position too.
    You can't have it both ways. You can't say the Act was the biggest disaster ever to befall the NHS, risking its death within 90 days. And then also say repealing the Act will be no biggie. Everyone will take it in their stride.
  • Options
    @MarqueeMark

"With the exception of one leadership that has delivered the best performing economy in the G8"
    Best performing on what measures? Productivity, exports, innovation.....?
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    I'll be picky about point No.6. I don't think that compares like for like precisely because, as you say elsewhere, we're in unchartered territory with this peace time coalition.

There is virtually no chance the Conservatives will poll as low as 34% with the economic recovery under way. Another way to consider this is how the Conservatives have steadily rebuilt their support following 1992 Black Wednesday (because economic trust is crucial):

1997 30%
    2001 31%
    2005 33%
    2010 36%

I reckon 2015 will continue the trend: 39-40%
    Perhaps - but prior to this they haven't been in government. It's easy to pick up votes in opposition when you don't have to make hard choices and offend people. The government has not, let's face it, been either popular or succeeded by the standards it set itself of eliminating the deficit (which was probably always going to be a bridge too far unless the economy kicked into overdrive, which was also never likely to happen). While it may have been quite a good government in many other ways, certainly better than the one that came before it, it's hard to see how it avoids getting that thrown at it. And it's also hard to see how it will hang on to disillusioned former voters and pick up new ones on that basis unless we have one of Mac's famous 'events'.

I'm still thinking 34-35% would be a good result for them.
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    Marquee Mark haha brilliant post about Labour under Ed! Wish we had a 'Like' function.

You nailed it.
  • Options
    TheWatcherTheWatcher Posts: 5,262
    Freggles said:

Freggles said:

Reform = A cuddlier way of phrasing Reorganisation.

Labour are planning some major changes to Everyone's NHS. I expect suitable protest.
  • Options
    Freggles said:

Freggles said:

And as I pointed out below, the Better Care Fund is already set up to do most of the plan under the coalition (largely down to Norman Lamb, one of many excellent and effective LD ministers).

Repealing the Bill allows more democratic control, and permits use of private providers but takes them out of the driving seat.

Labours NHS plans show quite a lot of continuity with coalition plans and are well thought through (though I think the cost and speed of transformation is underestimated).

It is one reason Miliband feels threatened by Burnham, he does not like to be overshadowed by someone competent.
  • Options

Freggles said:

Freggles said:

You can't have it both ways. You can't say the Act was the biggest disaster ever to befall the NHS, risking its death within 90 days. And then also say repealing the Act will be no biggie. Everyone will take it in their stride.
    I didn't say that. The point is there are no structures that will have to change as a result of the repeal. It won't change CCGs back to PCTs, it still just remove the obligation to compete.so while it's a repeal in legislative terms, I in organizational terms it's not a reversal.
    I do have some grasp of the detail here.
  • Options

Staying in Barra as the only Tory in a big house full of Labourites, it was entertaining to witness their embarrassment with Ed Miliband, It struck me they were confronted with a bullet that thankfully as a life-long Tory I had dodged - namely, could I in all conscience have voted in 2005 for Iain Duncan-Smith to be our Prime Minister?

My friends were smart enough to know that "We're not the Tories!" doesn't amount to anything much, when by necessity of having no money, Prime Minister Ed Miliband will just be Evil Baby-Eating Tory-Lite. Ed's Big Conference Theme of "Togetherism" was supposed to be his rebranding of Socialism for the Twenty-First Century. But it fails miserably as a slogan because it just reminds us all of the past five years - Osborne's "We're all in this TOGETHER...."

And that merely reinforces that there is nothing very different between the parties, will be nothing very different between the parties. With the exception of one leadership that has delivered the best performing economy in the G8, versus a guy who can't eat a bacon sandwich or kiss his wife or remember THE BIG TWO THINGS VOTERS WANT TO HEAR ABOUT. "We're not the Tories!" gets top-trumped by "We're not very good..."

If there was a palatable alternative, my Labour chums would vote for it. I suspect a couple will peel off to the Greens, a couple will stay loyal, but a few more might well defect to the Can't Be Arsed Party. As I suspect I would have done, confronted with voting for IDS....

That's interesting, Marquee.

My equivalent quandry was back in the days I campaigned for Michael Foot. Young and naive though I was, even I could see a Labour win would have been a disaster. I told myself I would not vote for them if it appeared there was any chance of them getting in. In the event, there wasn't a problem because it was obvious they were going to get hammered and I carried on voting and working for them on the basis that the Party needed to avoid meltdown in order to be able to reform and reconstitute itself, which of course it eventually did,

I should add that the problem was the Party, rather than Foot, who was an intelligent and honorable man. The parallel with IDS and his Party is too obvious to need labouring.
  • Options
    LennonLennon Posts: 1,735
    @yodether - Interesting aside about Cardiff South and Penarth - where do you see that going, Tory, UKIP, Plaid? Potential betting implications?
  • Options

Freggles said:

Freggles said:

Reform = A cuddlier way of phrasing Reorganisation.

Labour are planning some major changes to Everyone's NHS. I expect suitable protest.
    The hospital in Leicester that will be closed is in Keith Vaz's constituency. The loss of 461 beds will be very controversial, as well as being on an unrealistic timescale.
  • Options
    Freggles said:

Freggles said:

Freggles said:

I didn't say that. The point is there are no structures that will have to change as a result of the repeal. It won't change CCGs back to PCTs, it still just remove the obligation to compete.so while it's a repeal in legislative terms, I in organizational terms it's not a reversal.
    You do seem well informed. Dare I ask your background in this?
  • Options
    There's a long way to go yet. Most people don't even realise there's an election in 7 months time; they haven't even begun to start thinking about it.

Labour is by no means home and dry.
  • Options
    saddosaddo Posts: 534
    In match terms the impact of the fixed term parliament means we are only just starting the second half. The Tories haven't really started attacking labour yet.

Re nhs England. If Labour don't get an England majority what right have they got to change it?
  • Options

Freggles said:

Freggles said:

Freggles said:

I work in commissioning, so to have any kind of future plans I need to be aware of any incoming reorganization!
  • Options

I should add that the problem was the Party, rather than Foot, who was an intelligent and honorable man. The parallel with IDS and his Party is too obvious to need labouring.
    Nope it was also Foot, and it's extraordinary if you don't realise that. He was indeed honourable and intelligent (and I admired him) but in the eyes of most voters a bumbling incompetent fool and it cost them dearly, alongside the 'longest suicide note in history' which was largely his doing. The donkey jacket incident is very similar to Ed's bacon butty. It just shows someone who is weird and totally inappropriate to lead this country, and it reflects in leader ratings.

Whatever people might try to tell you a General Election is a leadership pageant. We elect local MPs, but we also vote on the personality of our Prime Minister. Do I think the British will elect Ed Miliband to be their Prime Minister? You're 'aving a larf.
  • Options
    saddo said:

In match terms the impact of the fixed term parliament means we are only just starting the second half. The Tories haven't really started attacking labour yet.

Re nhs England. If Labour don't get an England majority what right have they got to change it?

Burnhams plans are devolving power to local councils. Devon councillors will sit on the commissioning boards in Devon, Leics ones in Leics CCGs etc.

The plans are highly democratic (we shall see whether councillors are up to the job...)
  • Options

I am increasingly of the view that opinion polls will continue to mean very little or nothing until February / March. The polls to watch are the ones indicating how people are feeling on issues and on the leaders. (Because these are the true litmus tests when no-one is considering the General Election.) And on these counts The Conservatives win.

The Tories will rip Labour to shreds over economic competence and whatever Mike might like to think, you cannot win a General Election in Britain without trust on the economy.
    Yesterday IPSOS told us the voters' top issue was immigration. The day before that, Comres told us that UKIP were the party most trusted to deal with immigration.

http://www.ipsos-mori.com/researchpublications/researcharchive/3455/EconomistIpsos-MORI-September-2014-Issues-Index.aspx

http://www.comres.co.uk/polls/ITV_News_Index_24th_September_2014.pdf

• Options
    @saddo
    It's probably more accurate to say we are in "extra time"? (Parliaments are usually shorter)
  • Options
    saddo said:

There's a long way to go yet. Most people don't even realise there's an election in 7 months time; they haven't even begun to start thinking about it.

You're both spot on. I hope pb threads wake up to this point. It isn't like the old days ...
  • Options
    MarkSeniorMarkSenior Posts: 4,699
    The cumulative vote shares for all council by elections held in September ( circa 19,000 votes ) were as follows

Lab 29%
    Con 26%
    LDem 22%
    UKIP 13%
    Green 4%
    Others 6%

and for all council by elections held in the 3 months July-Sept ( circa 64,500 votes ) were

Con 30%
    Lab 24.5%
    LDem 17%
    UKIP 14.5%
    Green 5%
    Others 9%
  • Options
    Freggles said:

Freggles said:

Freggles said:

Freggles said:

I work in commissioning, so to have any kind of future plans I need to be aware of any incoming reorganization!
    Ditto, though I am on the other side of the table!

Is my impression that there is a more collaborative approach to commissioning over the last few years also your impression? Mine is based on Leics of course.
  • Options
    OK. Mark must have been called away.

An award of ten internetz for the best reply?

"With the exception of one leadership that has delivered the best performing economy in the G8"
  • Options
    saddosaddo Posts: 534

saddo said:

Burnhams plans are devolving power to local councils. Devon councillors will sit on the commissioning boards in Devon, Leics ones in Leics CCGs etc.

The plans are highly democratic (we shall see whether councillors are up to the job...)
    It's irrelevant what his plans are if England doesn't vote for it. Labour created the situation when they split the NHS responsibilities across different countries.
  • Options
    PlatoPlato Posts: 15,724
    As a resident within a stone's throw of Pevensey Bay, I'm a honorary Norman ; ^)

• Options

Kipling was really talking about India though, wasn't he?
    In that poem? No.
  • Options
    Smarmeron said:

@saddo
    It's probably more accurate to say we are in "extra time"? (Parliaments are usually shorter)

No. It's more accurate to say we're only just starting the second half. People simply aren't thinking about the end of time, let alone the result. No board has been held up. It's a fixed term parliament: there has been a total absence of all the old sharpening GE speculation. It's gone.

No-one is watching the game except a handful of ground staff wearing pb.com and party anoraks.
  • Options
    I must disagree there, Mr Putney. IIRC the polls show that Mr Cameron gets top marks as PMish from every social grouping by class or age.

He may need to have his back against the wall to deliver, but frankly that's a flaw I'll happily accept. Rather that than someone who flinches when the chips are down.

• Options
    chestnutchestnut Posts: 7,341
    The YG poll data implies that Labour are bleeding enough 2010 vote to wipe out any gain from the LDs.

They're behind in Scotland, making no progress in Wales, have very little left to gain in the NE and have now supported another war in Muslim lands which certainly hurt them last time around. Watch Tower Hamlets, Bradford, Luton, Birmingham.

It's only the impact of UKIP on the Tories that is sustaining Labour's lead.

Labour has also dipped badly in the budget/election cycle in 2013 and 2014, whilst their lead over the Tories was overstated by 2.5-5.5 in all polls at the Euros.

Where are Ed's extra 68 seats (plus Scottish losses) coming from?

A minority government with who providing coalition support?

• Options
    saddo said:

saddo said:

It's irrelevant what his plans are if England doesn't vote for it. Labour created the situation when they split the NHS responsibilities across different countries.
    Burnhams plans permit the use of private providers, but do not make it compulsory. If in blue/purple Surrey the commissioners want to increase the role of private companies they can do so. If in Merseyside they do not want to do so, then they do not have to do so.

Increased local control of how the money is spent is the essence of devolution.
  • Options

Freggles said:

Freggles said:

Freggles said:

Freggles said:

Ditto, though I am on the other side of the table!

Is my impression that there is a more collaborative approach to commissioning over the last few years also your impression? Mine is based on Leics of course.
    I came into commissioning post-reforms, so no personal experience of working in PCT land, but the consensus among colleagues is as you say - a few years ago if social care and health were in a room together it'd be recriminations and denial over whose responsibility delayed discharges were, for instance. Now there's a greater willingness to work together. Where that exists, shared budgets will be helpful in removing barriers, but there are probably still some basket-case health economies out there where everyone's still bashing each other over the head, in which case structures won't change anything.

I'm concerned that more political involvement at the local level might have the same effects as at the national - short term decisions, lack of direction, and pandering to the loud geographical areas! Perhaps the ideal is to have a councillor or two on governing bodies so that commissioning can be clinical, but with democratic input.
    Otherwise we will have councillors vetoing changes purely because a rival politician was involved...
  • Options

saddo said:

You're both spot on. I hope pb threads wake up to this point. It isn't like the old days ...
    And indeed I said much the same at [7.32am] - but would absolutely hate it if AudreyAnne ever gave me credit for anything. Even if I said that David Cameron was William Pitt, Margaret Thatcher and Winston Churchill rolled into one (I do hope he's paying her to puff him - an MBE in the post, maybe?).

• Options
    Thank you for a thoughtful and interesting comment.
  • Options
    Smarmeron said:

@MarqueeMark

I get the soundbite, you get to nit pick - and look like you are talking down Britain in the process.

Just accept that the economic upturn is owned by the Tories (the LibDems seem to not want to be associated with even being in Government....)

• Options
    I still haven't recovered from GE2010 when Mr Balls was claiming that cutting £6bn off public spending was The End Of The World.

Well, there's about £75bn left to chop off. I assume that the Milky Way is next.
    Gadfly said:

• Options
    saddo said:

saddo said:

How many people voted for the Conservatives' plans in the first place?
  • Options
    @audreyanne
    I prefer the "battle analogy"
    The commanders are still shuffling the troops and artillery, and only the scouts and skirmishers are engaged.
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    @Lennon‌ - the answer is that I see the vote fracturing. It's got some fairly wealthy pockets (nice flats and waterside developments) that might go Tory, a bit of student housing that will probably stay solidly Labour but might go Plaid or green, tribal Labour vote that will stay Labour no matter what, and a sort of drifting lower-middle class that might go UKIP. The Tories have always been the main challengers - but in a four cornered fight you never know who could win.

So my tip would be - don't bet on it. This used to be a very safe Labour seat for Alun Michael, terrible minister though he was, but the new MP hasn't had long to bed in and might well be vulnerable to a surge from any party.

A more realistic betting position, if you can find one, would be for Labour to win fewer than 25 seats in Wales. That would rely on them not winning back many seats - but as their two realistic targets are Cardiff Central on a student rebellion and Cardiff North with a retiring MP, that's hardly a problem (I don't think they'll retake South Pembs). At the same time, I could see them losing the few remaining seats they have in rural Wales (Ynys Môn could well be vulnerable depending on the Plaid candidate) and possibly also Llanelli and Cardiff South. That would take them below 25, which would certainly be an embarrassing result for Labour whatever the national outcome.

It might also have interesting implications for the Assembly elections, which are held the following year and by which time Labour will have been in power, rather ineffectually, for 17 years - but we can hopefully talk about them nearer the time!
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,351

It is one reason Miliband feels threatened by Burnham, he does not like to be overshadowed by someone competent.

I don't think Miliband does feel threatened by Burnham - what makes you think that? Burnham was the exception to the "short speech" rule at the conference - he was the only Shadow Minister plugged in Miliband's speech, building up to his lengthy and passionate speech on the NHS the next day.

On point 1, I don't know if you talk to a lot of voters, but FWIW I've never in over 40 years of canvassing found so few undecided voters. The Tory and Labour blocs are seemingly immovable apart from short-term swings.

On point 2, that's not what happened in Cameron's only previous election as leader, in 2010. On the contrary, a hefty Tory lead was blown away in the final months.

On point 3, the test is how the leaders do in comparison with expectations. Cameron was expected to thrash Brown and Clegg in 2010, but the multi-party debate format doesn't lend itself to thrashings: we ended up with something like a score draw.

Are you offering a bet on your prediction of a 10-point Tory lead?

• Options
    FlightpathFlightpath Posts: 4,012

saddo said:

saddo said:

Burnhams plans permit the use of private providers, but do not make it compulsory. If in blue/purple Surrey the commissioners want to increase the role of private companies they can do so. If in Merseyside they do not want to do so, then they do not have to do so.

Increased local control of how the money is spent is the essence of devolution.
    And if they make a mess in Liverpool they just blame the govt and ask for more money. Not that this is not a common problem with health services all over the world.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,856
    You can tell the Tories know they could lose 2015 as they have started, at last, to do more than just talk about how bad ed m is, recognising that probably won't save them. But more of them need to accept it than currently do.
  • Options
    IIRC Gordon's lowest point was c26% - surely EdM can't beat that one.
    Freggles said:

• Options
    This is the key finding from the Ashcroft marginals poll in August for me:

"Despite the 10-point Labour lead in voting intention the majority of voters in these seats said either that they were satisfied with David Cameron’s performance as Prime Minister (29%) or that they were dissatisfied but would rather he were PM than Ed Miliband (29%). Only 31% – including, as in the Labour-held seats, just two thirds of Labour voters – said they would rather see Miliband in Number 10. Nine out of ten Conservative switchers to UKIP, and 94% of those switching from the Lib Dems to the Tories, said they preferred Cameron to the alternative."

So, voters in those marginal seats prefer Cameron as PM (58%) to Miliband (31%) - a 27% lead.

I find it very hard to believe a major chunk of those won't vote that way, once they wake up to the fact there's an election on to choose the PM and the Government.

Bring on the campaign and the debates.
  • Options
    FlightpathFlightpath Posts: 4,012

Smarmeron said:

@saddo

No. It's more accurate to say we're only just starting the second half. People simply aren't thinking about the end of time, let alone the result. No board has been held up. It's a fixed term parliament: there has been a total absence of all the old sharpening GE speculation. It's gone.

No-one is watching the game except a handful of ground staff wearing pb.com and party anoraks.
    In Rugby League the game is so fast moving you can be ahead by 6 points with 5 minutes to go but could easily lose the game and teams very often do. Its a better analogy.
  • Options
    Miss Plato, in one poll Labour under Brown went to 19%.
  • Options
    @kle4
    The Tories normally have a two state solution, complacency, and panic.
This discussion has been closed.