Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » LAB moves to its best YouGov position for seven weeks

SystemSystem Posts: 11,016
edited May 2013 in General

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » LAB moves to its best YouGov position for seven weeks

The latest YouGov daily poll is out and sees the Tories still in the doldrums below the 30 mark. The comparisons in the chart above are with a week ago which was before the reported “swivel eyed loons” that a senior CON figure was said to have made about party activists.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    JohnLoonyJohnLoony Posts: 1,790
    I have just remembered something funny.

A few years ago, some Muslim extremists were demonstrating with slogans like "Behead those who insult Islam". Energy prices were going up by more than inflation.

The Daily Telegraph's Matt, with his usual brilliance, did a cartoon of a middle-aged suburban couple demonstrating outside their house with a placard that said "Behead meter-readers".
  • Options
    BenMBenM Posts: 1,795
    Quite interesting that the Tory AND Ukip shares have fallen given Loon-gate.

Bad sign for both.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,282
    edited May 2013
    @BenM

a bit previous surely Ben? These are great snapshots of the current mood but I wouldn't read anything 2015-ish into them.

Cons: in a muddle & divided over GM, Europe, etc
    LD: Just _what_ is NC up to
    UKIP: ok we are beginning to realise NOTA is not a viable way to run the country
    which leaves....

Lab

It'll be different next week as these issue filter down.
  • Options
    PolruanPolruan Posts: 2,083
    Now this thread's working... reposted from previous
    BenM said:

Anyway poor old Dan Hodges will be choking on his cornflakes.

Dan Hodges - lines to take - 24 May 2013

The increased Labour share is bad news for Ed because it will lead to increased scrutiny of Ed, and Ed is crap, so this increased scrutiny will reduce the Labour share
    The increased Lib Dem share is bad news for Ed because it shows that the centre-left vote is once again beginning to split between Labour and the Lib Dems, probably because Ed is crap, and will make it harder for Labour to take key marginals
    The decreased UKIP share is bad news for Ed because it shows that the appeal of NOTA is waning, and once voters return to the mainstream parties, because Ed is crap, they will return to Lib Dems or Conservatives
    The decreased Conservative share is bad news for Ed because it shows that voters are turned off by Cameron not being tough enough on Europe/being too socially liberal, both of which are flaws which Ed (who, it may be said, is crap) shares in superabundance and therefore will, in time, suffer from the same drop in vote share.

See? It's easy to avoid choking on the cornflakes and churn out another one, if not four, articles off the back of that poll.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,976
    Good morning, everyone.

It's worth remembering that these polls have a lot of statistical noise. Even given zero real change the numbers bobble about.
  • Options
    Mick_PorkMick_Pork Posts: 6,530
    This should please the tory backbenchers and calm them all down.
    Jose Manuel ‏@J0se_Manuel 8m

Beppe Grillo says Italy shall hold a combined Euro/EU referendum next year
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,915
    edited May 2013
    People should take care not to confuse predicting trouble with desiring trouble.

Ukip could easily have made an inflammatory comment about the murder of the soldier if they had desired a cheap opinion poll hit, but did the right thing in keeping schtum.

People raise an eyebrow at the Telegraph refusing comments on this case and the "We need To Talk About Islam" piece, but debate about the cause of this growing divide is banned in many places.

• Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,612

It's worth remembering that these polls have a lot of statistical noise. Even given zero real change the numbers bobble about.

Yes - all easily within MOE on central Con 30, Lab 40 positions.

The gruesome internals should however give Tories pause for thought....
  • Options
    Morris - is it time to apply the red pen on PB2 or will that simply encourage the spammers all the more?
  • Options
    Mick_Pork said:

This should please the tory backbenchers and calm them all down.

Jose Manuel ‏@J0se_Manuel 8m

Beppe Grillo says Italy shall hold a combined Euro/EU referendum next year

I'm sure there's no real relevance... a comedian promising a referendum that far out won't be taken seriously.
  • Options
    Mr. Putney, I must admit I had been thinking of setting up my own F1 blog. I'd rather not, but the spam levels on the latest Monaco thread are quite horrendous. I think 3/16 comments are genuine.
  • Options
    @Polruan

LoL.

• Options
    FinancierFinancier Posts: 3,916
    Re: YouGov

Major change from last few polls is the London Subsample;

e.g Yesterday: Con 31; LAB 35; LD 14; UKIP 17
    Today: Con 28: LAB 47; LD 10; UKIP 10.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    On F1, I'm going to watch P3 with especial interest. Vettel's been 9th and 10th so far. Yesterday Betfair had a lay of 1.06 (about 16/1, effectively) for him to reach Q3. A long shot, certainly, and right now I feel he will make Q3, but only just. If P3 says otherwise, though, the most counter-intuitive of bets may be of interest.

Edited extra bit: and when I say 'watch' I of course mean 'listen to'.
  • Options
    theodoxiatheodoxia Posts: 5
    isam said:

People should take care not to confuse predicting trouble with desiring trouble.

Ukip could easily have made an inflammatory comment about the murder of the soldier if they had desired a cheap opinion poll hit, but did the right thing in keeping schtum.

People raise an eyebrow at the Telegraph refusing comments on this case and the "We need To Talk About Islam" piece, but debate about the cause of this growing divide are banned in many places.

• Options
    MikeSmithsonMikeSmithson Posts: 7,382
    You cannot read anything into that sub-sample whatsoever.
    Financier said:

Re: YouGov

Major change from last few polls is the London Subsample;

e.g Yesterday: Con 31; LAB 35; LD 14; UKIP 17
    Today: Con 28: LAB 47; LD 10; UKIP 10.

• Options
    MikeKMikeK Posts: 9,053
    edited May 2013
    Good morning. I have a back ache, a sore arm, and the weather is lousy - I blame Cammo.

Well down to work:

HOW FALSE POLLS SEEM TO BE

http://cdn.yougov.com/cumulus_uploads/document/8lvxse4f91/YG-Archive-Pol-Sun-results-230513.pdf

The latest YOUGOV poll is out and now it shows a 13% lead for LABOUR

Latest YouGov / The Sun results 23rd May - CON 29%, LAB 42%, LD 11%, UKIP 13%; APP -34 are the figures.

But of course delve deeper and you find the cause. It seems that the older you get the less likely you are to vote labour, so what is the best way to skew a poll. Ask more young people how they are likely to vote. In the past polling the section for 18-24 has been negligible and they have had to star it saying that not enough had been polled to make it credible.

This time they have asked more than 200 from this group who they would vote for and of course it skews the figures.

Labour can pronounce a huge lead.

If this was the case then the May elections would have been much different but then again the pollsters or Labour for that matter wouldn't want that it doesn't make the sort of press which they want.

I wish YOUGOV would be restricted to a weekly or fortnightly poll like most other pollsters they might just get the same results as them as well then.
    -------------------------------------------
    And the Bolsover result for the Parish Council. And Labour lost it.

Whitwell Parish Council - Thursday 10th January 2013

The election for the vacancy on Whitwell Parish Council has taken place and the results are below. The total electrorate is 3.145 and the turnout was 14.24%.
    Name of Candidate Description (if any) Number of Votes

AUSTIN, Karl Peter Hill 267
    BURDETT, Simon Charles The Labour Party 179

As we await the result from yesterdays by election result for the district council I found this and wondered if it would give an indication to how the District council result may have gone as well.
    -------------------

Oooh! My arm feels better. ;)
  • Options
    What I take from this poll is not the headline shares as such, but the fact that after losing part of its lead through the nonsensical Ukip-gasm, Labour has been able to stretch out another one.

A positive sign for the reds.
  • Options
    Mick_PorkMick_Pork Posts: 6,530
    Is stuarttruth back and railing against the liberal meeja bias in the polls?

LOL
  • Options
    Stupid vote by the Kirk:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-scotland-politics-22650393

If Scotland becomes independent they want a separate coronation in Scotland. Credit to Sturgeon for (earlier) dismissing such a thing.
  • Options
    theodoxiatheodoxia Posts: 5
    (Hit the wrong button)
    It may be that the Telegraph have been made especially the targets of extremist rants; or it may be that they are unusually nervous. They were closed for comments for a long time after Margaret Thatcher died.

There was a storm of protest on the Telegraph site after SeanT's piece on Nick Griffin. I'm glad he explained himself here, and think the Telegraph owe him a profuse apology and space to make himself clear, though it may be too late for that now.

I see that our police are being dilligent in keeping Twitter fit for public consumption: http://news.sky.com/story/1095026/woolwich-murder-offensive-tweets-arrests
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,974

Stupid vote by the Kirk:

If Scotland becomes independent they want a separate coronation in Scotland. Credit to Sturgeon for (earlier) dismissing such a thing.

And one for Australia, another for Canada I suppose. Etc. Would rapidly get out of hand. Could a 70 or thereabouts monarch stand it?

• Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,754
    tim said:

tim said:

@LewisDuckworth

This country fought a world war against your ilk, go and fuck yourself.

I don't think Lewis is German.

Neither was William Joyce
    Or Kim Philby, we can play this game all day.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 38,940
    Mods:page operation for me is abysmally slow (using Chrome on a PC). As I type, the textbox is responding to the keypresses very slowly. (This message has take me a couple of minutes to type so far). Reloads also seem slow.

All other tabs in my browser are working fine; am I the only person seeing this? It's making the site unusable.

I think it may be ad-related.
  • Options
    MarkSeniorMarkSenior Posts: 4,699
    A lot of rubbish posted by MikeK who seems incapable of reading poll details correctly .
    Yougov ( as always ) under sampled 18-24 year olds and had to weight the results up . They should have polled 202 and only sampled 65 . UKIp/Other IDers were as always grossly over sampled , they should have sampled 22 but actually sampled 140 . I will leave it to the conspiracy theorists as to whether this constant over sampling is down to UKIP supporters trying to rig Yougov poll samples .
    The actual result of yesterday's by election was Residents gain from Green Residents 347 Labour 256
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,754

Disaster looming. There are only 300 Austin Allegros left in the UK !

http://www.birminghampost.net/
  • Options
    DaemonBarberDaemonBarber Posts: 1,626
    @LewisDuckworth

Go take a long walk off a short pier.

• Options
    BenM said:

What I take from this poll is not the headline shares as such, but the fact that after losing part of its lead through the nonsensical Ukip-gasm, Labour has been able to stretch out another one.

A positive sign for the reds.

Not stalking you here, Ben, but do you mean that Labour Party supporters (however briefly) went over to UKIP?

• Options
    King Cole, as one might expect you've seen the immediate and obvious problem with the Kirk's idiocy.

Mr. Jessop, no time-related issue for me. On a PC, using Firefox. The ads I've got are a Vauxhall/fuel one and huitsuite.
  • Options
    PBModeratorPBModerator Posts: 661
    ISAM YOUR DISCUSSION WAS CLOSED YESTERDAY> CLOSED MEANS CLOSED> PLEASE DO NOT REFER TO IT AGAIN.
  • Options
    Mr. Brooke, don't worry. That's still enough to see off an invasion by a million foreign cars (for a few days, at least).
  • Options

A lot of rubbish posted by MikeK who seems incapable of reading poll details correctly .
    Yougov ( as always ) under sampled 18-24 year olds and had to weight the results up . They should have polled 202 and only sampled 65 . UKIp/Other IDers were as always grossly over sampled , they should have sampled 22 but actually sampled 140 . I will leave it to the conspiracy theorists as to whether this constant over sampling is down to UKIP supporters trying to rig Yougov poll samples .
    The actual result of yesterday's by election was Residents gain from Green Residents 347 Labour 256

The comments are not mine, Mark. I'm merely copied what was written up on the web site UK GENERAL ELECTION 2015. They usually know what they're talking about and have been right in the past.

Sorry to have upset your breakfast. I'm in a conciliatory mood today.
  • Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 30,936

How do UKIP supporters (or anyone else for that matter) rig a Yougov poll? It is pot luck if you are chosen to take part in one of the VI polls - Although I do 3 or 4 polls a week for Yougov this is only the second VI poll I have been sent in 5 or more years.

I would be fascinated to hear how you think anyone could rig these polls - outside of the people running them which is an utterly fanciful suggestion.
  • Options
    FluffyThoughtsFluffyThoughts Posts: 2,420
    edited May 2013
    :yawn:

Given the front-cover of "t'Economist" OGH chooses instead to try to draw some meaningless conclusion from YouGov; a pollster known for it's fluctuations (no doubt due to the regularity of it's polling). Maybe he should run a competition: "Given the last two polls, predict the outcome of the next YouGov daily poll. The prize will be a week's unlimited editing of every-other post by Wee-Timmy"...?

Very little betting information can be gleaned from a single YouGov poll (as Sven keeps pointing out); one may give succour to BenM whilst another may provide inspiration to seanT but, in-themselves, they offer little.* And all the while the collapse of the Eurozone creeps closer....

http://www.economist.com/news/leaders/21578386-euro-zone-desperately-need-boost-no-news-bad-news-sleepwalkers
  • Options

ISAM YOUR DISCUSSION WAS CLOSED YESTERDAY> CLOSED MEANS CLOSED> PLEASE DO NOT REFER TO IT AGAIN.

Yeah alright.

Why delete my last comment that was unrelated? It was pointing out the inconsistencies on what people highlight as out of order.
  • Options
    dugarbandierdugarbandier Posts: 2,596

How do UKIP supporters (or anyone else for that matter) rig a Yougov poll? It is pot luck if you are chosen to take part in one of the VI polls - Although I do 3 or 4 polls a week for Yougov this is only the second VI poll I have been sent in 5 or more years.

I would be fascinated to hear how you think anyone could rig these polls - outside of the people running them which is an utterly fanciful suggestion.

i'd guess they have trouble recruiting 18-24's to their panel and plenty of pensioners on it. not rigging, but perphaps a source of inaccuracy
  • Options

i'd guess they have trouble recruiting 18-24's to their panel and plenty of pensioners on it. not rigging, but perphaps a source of inaccuracy
    Oh I can accept that. But Mark was asking if this was due to "UKIP supporters trying to rig Yougov poll samples". Which seems to me to be a pretty daft thing to suggest.
  • Options
    NeilNeil Posts: 7,983

I would be fascinated to hear how you think anyone could rig these polls

Do what OGH did that got him kicked off the panel ;)

Only kidding, I'm sure Mark wasnt being entirely serious but at least his joking suggestion has more merit than the apparently serious criticism from posters who simply dont like the direction the poll is going in.
  • Options
    MarkSeniorMarkSenior Posts: 4,699

The comment was a tongue in cheek dig at MikeK . All we know is that every Yougov poll over samples UKIP Party Iders but hopefully their weighting adjustments will correct for this . If some other pollsters also over sample UKIP supporters but do not carry out similar weighting adjustments then it will give rise to widely different UKIP VI figures from different pollsters .

• Options
    MikeSmithsonMikeSmithson Posts: 7,382
    Message to Isam/Sam

Please decide which identiy you wih to use.

• Options
    87% of Unite members vote to maintain the political fund.

Good stuff.

http://union-news.co.uk/2013/05/breaking-unite-members-vote-91-to-continue-political-fund/
  • Options

Stupid vote by the Kirk:

I disagree - I think the Kirk are right - and the comparison with Canada et al is not directly analogous - there was a "King of Scots" long before there was a Dominion of Canada.

At least the Kirk are not trying to pretend that independence will be "different, only the same"...

• Options
    SocratesSocrates Posts: 10,322
    Nobel-winning economist Edmund Phelps warns about the dangers of EU membership:

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2013-05-23/nobel-laureate-phelps-warns-against-eu-as-iceland-drops-bid-2-.html

“We’re still learning about the European experiment and to what extent it’s going to succeed,” Phelps, 79, said in a telephone interview. “The possibility is not foreclosed that the experiment is going to prove unworkable, unsuccessful.”
  • Options
    BenM said:

Good stuff.

http://union-news.co.uk/2013/05/breaking-unite-members-vote-91-to-continue-political-fund/

Participation 100% was it? Another record!

• Options
    edited May 2013
    European Parliament issues a veiled threat to scotch US trade talks if liberalisation going too far, saying they "have teeth and can bite":

http://www.europarl.europa.eu/news/en/pressroom/content/20130520IPR08593/html/EUUS-trade-talks-keep-Parliament-on-board-MEPs-warn
  • Options

Message to Isam/Sam

Yeh, Sam. Go back to using Sam. In the 'Wheel of Time" series, Isam is a name for a very nefarious character. ;)

• Options
    Eurocrats threaten to strike if they have to face salary and expenses cuts:

http://www.euractiv.com/socialeurope/strike-eu-institutions-looming-5-news-519979
  • Options

I doubt participation was 100% in a postal ballot in what most people considered a foregone conclusion. But the trend has been for higher (sometimes significantly higher) ballots in favour of political funds.
  • Options

Message to Isam/Sam

Ok. Nothing sinister or dodgy in it, just that the iPad won't let me log in as Sam. I'll check if the PC lets me login as iSam and if it does I guess I'll be iSam
  • Options
    Socrates said:

European Parliament issues a veiled threat to scotch US trade talks if liberalisation going too far, saying they "have teeth and can bite":

http://www.europarl.europa.eu/news/en/pressroom/content/20130520IPR08593/html/EUUS-trade-talks-keep-Parliament-on-board-MEPs-warn

Good thing too.

Democratically elected chamber reminds officials of its legitimacy and ensures they will held to account.

What's not to like?
  • Options
    Socrates said:

Eurocrats threaten to strike

That must be the best new you've heard all day - think of all the meddling they wont do if they're on strike!
  • Options
    Neil said:

I doubt participation was 100% in a postal ballot in what most people considered a foregone conclusion. But the trend has been for higher (sometimes significantly higher) ballots in favour of political funds.
    Prospect saw a similar result on a participation rate of 37% - which I'd say was pretty respectable - my point was more about BenM's misleading description...

• Options
    BenM said:

Democratically elected chamber reminds officials of its legitimacy

It's a stretch to suggest that the European Parliament has any legitimacy.
  • Options
    BenM said:

Socrates said:

Good thing too.

Democratically elected chamber reminds officials of its legitimacy and ensures they will held to account.

What's not to like?
    That they are inflicting protectionist restrictions on the UK, against the best interests of our country. Free trade with the US and Canada is one of the best things that could happen to the UK economy, and we could have had it years ago had we been independent. Instead we've banked our entire trading strategy on integration with the EU, which has gone on to be an economic disaster.
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    Surely if Sam had a new account it should have been " Son of Sam" ?
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

I liked "Samonipad" which had a certain SeanT/S-E Asian flavour to it....
  • Options
    Gerry_ManderGerry_Mander Posts: 621
    TGOHF said:

Samson?

• Options
    PlatoPlato Posts: 15,724
    McAlpine has won - Sally is guilty of libel.

*sound of world's smallest violin*
  • Options
    PlatoPlato Posts: 15,724
    TGOHF said:

Ha! Very good.
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,287
    Unforeseen benefit of switching of street lights - fall in crime? Thieves afraid of the dark...

http://www.thisisbristol.co.uk/Burglars-afraid-dark-Crime-falls-Bristol-street/story-13952633-detail/story.html#axzz2Tv1m6240
  • Options
    POSBWAS.
  • Options
    Was the Berc a civil case ? Sounds expensive :)

I see the Co op bank non story is still over ..
  • Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 38,924
    tim said:

Sally Bercow guilty.

Time to sue those tweeters who accuse you of taking bribes Mike

That was always likely. The issue is how big the damages are going to be and how much her supporters will have to raise.

• Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    BenM said:

Good stuff.

Not sure that's quite right. The article says members voted by 87% in favour, but doesn't say anything on turnout.
  • Options
    Plato said:

TGOHF said:

Ha! Very good.
    I fear these young smokies are too young to appreciate ;)
  • Options
    Socrates said:

Eurocrats threaten to strike if they have to face salary and expenses cuts:

http://www.euractiv.com/socialeurope/strike-eu-institutions-looming-5-news-519979

Would anyone notice?
  • Options
    IcarusIcarus Posts: 898
    Whitwell residents (357) beat Labour (256) in Bolsover
  • Options
    POSBWAS? *innocent face*
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

Was the Berc a civil case ?

I thought the problem was she was rather rude?
  • Options
    http://uk.mobile.reuters.com/article/idUKBRE94N07320130524?irpc=932

Co op bank stopping loans to new customers...

Those with existing overdrafts seem to be unaffected. ..

• Options
    Charles said:

BenM said:

Good stuff.

Not sure that's quite right. The article says members voted by 87% in favour, but doesn't say anything on turnout.
    Yes, you're quote right - sorry, stream of consciousness fail.

The motion passed by 87% of votes cast.
  • Options
    ThomasNasheThomasNashe Posts: 4,970
    Sounds like Sally B has agreed a settlement with Lord McAlpine. Amount not specified, but it'll be a biggy.
  • Options
    With the daily opinion polls we can see how long it takes stuff to filter through to the voting public. The YouGov percentages overall may be wrong, but the shifts are interesting in that it seems to take a few days for an event to resonate and then have an effect. Before the daily polls we would not have known that.
  • Options
    Ed Miliband's desirable Co-Op bank model - seductive, alluring, interesting figures, big bust.

http://uk.reuters.com/article/2013/05/24/uk-co-op-bank-lending-idUKBRE94N07320130524
  • Options
    David_EvershedDavid_Evershed Posts: 6,506
    There are still some people who think that comments in digital form are immune from the law of libel.

The publicity given to the Bercow case should finally make it clear to them. The law does not differentiate between hand writting, print or the digital medium.
  • Options
    dr_spyn said:

Ed Miliband's desirable Co-Op bank model - seductive, alluring, interesting figures, big bust.

http://uk.reuters.com/article/2013/05/24/uk-co-op-bank-lending-idUKBRE94N07320130524

It says business customers only. Individuals unaffected.
  • Options
    dr_spyn said:

Its is a non story doc - tim was goading me the other week that it had "gone nowhere"

Must be news sense.
  • Options
    taffystaffys Posts: 9,753
    YouGov percentages overall may be wrong,

They may be right. People may genuinely think that Ed Miliband is the man to sort out the country's problems with a landslide victory.

• Options
    tim said:

Charles said:

BenM said:

Good stuff.

A party that introduced Police Commissioners then guaranteed a turnout of 15% is in no position to comment on turnout

Why not?
  • Options
    Bob__SykesBob__Sykes Posts: 1,176
    Excellent news re Bercow.

Why the devil she didn't settle, I'll never know. She was obviously on a hiding to nothing.

Let's hope McAlpine bankrupts the Bercow family, and her pompous husband has to stand down. (I bet Farage would have a better chance in Buckingham now than in 2010!)

Quite like Sally B though, all told, even if she does seem to be a bit dense. It's that lefty woman thing of mine again...
  • Options
    tim said:

TGOHF said:

dr_spyn said:

Ed Miliband's desirable Co-Op bank model - seductive, alluring, interesting

Its is a non story doc - tim was goading me the other week that it had "gone nowhere"

Must be news sense.
    I was saying that your attempt to blame Ed Milband for the Co-op Bank will work in the same circles as linking him the French economy works, a few dozen right wing blog readers.
    Nowhere else.
    Always nice to hear you apologise tim.
  • Options
    edited May 2013

There are still some people who think that comments in digital form are immune from the law of libel.

The publicity given to the Bercow case should finally make it clear to them. The law does not differentiate between hand writting, print or the digital medium.

Peter Hitchens (@ClarkeMicah on twitter) searches for his name and pulls up anyone who is personally attacking him, often asking them if they would say something like that to a stranger in the street.

Decent manners and common courtesy shouldnt be forgotten in the digital age (even if some on here have used the excuse that its just an online debate not real life to justify making up lies, misquotes, lack of apologies etc)
  • Options
    David_EvershedDavid_Evershed Posts: 6,506
    Bercow should have listened to Mark Twain when he said:

It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt
  • Options
    tim said:

Charles said:

tim said:

Charles said:

BenM said:

Good stuff.

A party that introduced Police Commissioners then guaranteed a turnout of 15% is in no position to comment on turnout

Why not?
    Because they'd be hypocritical idiots.
    So I guess Shapps will do it.
    Maybe you have a point
    No: they made mistakes (largely at the urging of the LibDems) in the implementation of policy. High turnouts are a good things, in general.

Additionally, if you take the view that a government that makes mistakes can no longer comment on those areas then the Labour party won't be able to have any policies at all...
  • Options

The comment was a tongue in cheek dig at MikeK . All we know is that every Yougov poll over samples UKIP Party Iders but hopefully their weighting adjustments will correct for this . If some other pollsters also over sample UKIP supporters but do not carry out similar weighting adjustments then it will give rise to widely different UKIP VI figures from different pollsters .

I suppose one issue that might cause concern for Yougov is how often they update their party ID. I know that periodically they send out questionnaires which are clearly designed to give them an idea of the party affiliation but it is several years since I received one of these and the fact that the daily polls do not ask who you voted for at the last election does leave me with some concern about how accurate their party ID system is.

• Options
    tim said:

TGOHF said:

tim said:

TGOHF said:

dr_spyn said:

Ed Miliband's desirable Co-Op bank model - seductive, alluring, interesting

Must be news sense.
    I was saying that your attempt to blame Ed Milband for the Co-op Bank will work in the same circles as linking him the French economy works, a few dozen right wing blog readers.
    Nowhere else.
    Always nice to hear you apologise tim.
    And your understanding of the French fiscal plan is only rivalled by your legendary "Japan launches austerity" posts at the time Abenomics was announced

tim look that is enough backtracking- you've admitted you were wrong - lets move on.

• Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,914
    On the subject of the press, I think adding bullet point 8 to this article is a disgrace:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2328921/David-McGreavy-named-murdering-children-1973.html

Second victory for Press freedom this week after Appeal Court ruled the public does have a right to know about Boris Johnson's philandering past.
  • Options
    BenM said:

Charles said:

BenM said:

Good stuff.

Yes, you're quote right - sorry, stream of consciousness fail.

The motion passed by 87% of votes cast.
    Which is perfectly respectable. If people choose not to exercise their right to vote then they can't moan about the result. I may not personally like the political levies but if people choose that is how their union can best represent their interests then it seems absolutely right they should be allowed to do so.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    Man City played Chelsea this morning in America in an attempt no doubt to tap into some of the huge marketing potential of Americans who are not yet in to "Soccer"

City come from 3-0 down to to win a seven goal thriller....

hmmmm
  • Options
    Bond_James_BondBond_James_Bond Posts: 1,939

Bercow should have listened to Mark Twain when he said:

It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt

Indeed. As well as being narcissistic, vacuous and dim, she seems desperately naive. What other construction than libel did she imagine could be placed on that nasty little remark? Did she think she was being archly clever, or something?

I hope she gets seriously financially clobbered. Her old man's a ghastly little poison dwarf too and he'll end up absorbing part of the hit.

• Options

Excellent news re Bercow.

Why the devil she didn't settle, I'll never know. She was obviously on a hiding to nothing.

Let's hope McAlpine bankrupts the Bercow family, and her pompous husband has to stand down. (I bet Farage would have a better chance in Buckingham now than in 2010!)

Quite like Sally B though, all told, even if she does seem to be a bit dense. It's that lefty woman thing of mine again...

I fear you will be disappointed. Bercow will have been on some kind of deal with her own side. Well-wishers will help her out with costs and any damages. In the worst case scenario, she may be personally bankrupted, but her husband is unlikely to be affected.

• Options
    edited May 2013
    There's an unusual lack of comment from the usual plane geeks (not an insult; I include myself) about the BA762 emergency landing at Heathrow this morning. Everyone fine, thankfully, other than the birds that appear to have been shredded and lightly fricassed in engine 2.

Anyway, it's a good opportunity to post a link to this masterpiece

http://radans.net/jens/planestory.html
  • Options
    Bond_James_BondBond_James_Bond Posts: 1,939

Let's hope McAlpine bankrupts the Bercow family....Quite like Sally B though, all told, even if she does seem to be a bit dense.

Ah, so you "like" her only in the sense that you'd give her one?

I feel the same about Caroline Flint and Nadine.

• Options
    Bercow has well wishers happy to part with cash to help her out ? That would be a short queue.
  • Options
    The UK's biggest welfare queen, the FTSE, is down again today.
  • Options
    JonathanDJonathanD Posts: 2,400
    Interesting comment by Con Home on the difference in reaction between Blair and Cameron to terrorist attacks

"Tony Blair responded to 7/7 by rushing out a twelve-point plan which his Home Secretary hadn't had proper sight of, and which the Labour Chairman of the Home Affairs Select committee called "half-baked". Much of it was never implemented, which was just as well, and its most startling feature was immediately dropped - new powers to close mosques (as if that would have helped). One of its main proposals was to hold suspects without charge for up to 90 days. This was red top government: the then Prime Minister was running the country as if he were a tabloid editor."

http://conservativehome.blogs.com/thetorydiary/2013/05/by-paul-goodmanfollow-paul-on-twitter-tony-blair-responded-to-77-by-rushing-out-a-twelve-point-plan-which-his-home-secreta.html
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    There what appears to be a good article in last week's Pharmaceutical Journal on social media and the problems. http://www.pjonline.com/news/think_you_can_just_let_loose_with_your_thoughts_on_social_media_think_again

I posted a link to it on a professional discussion website and, perchane co-incidentally, one poster, who has been consistently offensive to others announced he(?) was fed up with us and cleared off!
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

Bercow has well wishers happy to part with cash to help her out ? That would be a short queue.

It only takes one wealthy backer. As it's now going to be settled it is unlikely we will ever know. But in the great scheme of things this will not have been an expensive case. There were no witnesses called, discvovery would have been very limited, Bercow did not deny making the statement. The only issue was whether the Tweet was libellous and the judge has not taken very long to decide that.

• Options
    NextNext Posts: 826

TGOHF said:

It only takes one wealthy backer. As it's now going to be settled it is unlikely we will ever know. But in the great scheme of things this will not have been an expensive case. There were no witnesses called, discvovery would have been very limited, Bercow did not deny making the statement. The only issue was whether the Tweet was libellous and the judge has not taken very long to decide that.

I thought damages are going to be decided at another hearing. In which we will know then?
This discussion has been closed.