Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The pollsters’ big fear: Thursday could be a disaster for t

Comments

• Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 21,035
    edited September 2014
    Ooooooooooooooooo a tie with His Lordship

Ashcroft National Poll, 12-14 September: CON 33%, LAB 33%, LDEM 9%, UKIP 14%, GRN 6%. Full details on @ConHome, 4pm.
  • Options
    chestnutchestnut Posts: 7,341
    Ashcroft has Tory-Labour level on 33
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 41,118
    edited September 2014
    A friend of mine runs a betting tips website, and they have published an article on Scottish Independence bets

http://www.bettingemporium.com/tips/index/63
  • Options
    When was the last time labour had over 40% in any poll?

Now, it's regularly below 35%.
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,291

dr_spyn said:

Alistair said:

More No on Yes violence:

http://news.stv.tv/east-central/292144-teenagers-arrested-after-man-attacked-outside-usher-hall-yes-gig/

A bystander tweeted that the attackers yelled "Fuck yer yes" and "Better Together" before the attack.

This might be the tweet - though there is precious little to suggest there are other tweets with the same words.

@LozPacitti · 3h
    BT tweets of "vandalised" signs. I saw an artist get his nose burst open by 3 students shouting "Fuck yer yes" outside Usher Hall. Nothing.

Was the "artist" with the exploded nose one of the performers at the Yes concert? I sincerely hope not.
    BBC details are brief - did the gent who made the tweet make a witness statement? It has plenty of retweets and favourite starts next to the posting.

• Options
    dr_spyn said:
    Labour are going to select a non local Party person
    UKIP have selected the bloke who ran for W&SE

I take it Shadsy is waiting for the Labour candidate to be confirmed before releasing his prices

But does anyone fancy having a go??

2 horse race
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 40,337

dr_spyn said:

Alistair said:

More No on Yes violence:

http://news.stv.tv/east-central/292144-teenagers-arrested-after-man-attacked-outside-usher-hall-yes-gig/

A bystander tweeted that the attackers yelled "Fuck yer yes" and "Better Together" before the attack.

This might be the tweet - though there is precious little to suggest there are other tweets with the same words.

@LozPacitti · 3h
    BT tweets of "vandalised" signs. I saw an artist get his nose burst open by 3 students shouting "Fuck yer yes" outside Usher Hall. Nothing.

Was the "artist" with the exploded nose one of the performers at the Yes concert? I sincerely hope not.
    AFAIK it happened after the gig.

• Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,216
    edited September 2014
    Socrates said:

Hugh said:

Gaius said:

Hugh said:

Socrates said:

Danny565 said:

Although yes, those economic ratings are alarming for Labour. Ed Balls's "master plan" of winning "economic credibility" by saying they'll carry out Tory spending cuts does not seem to be working well. The gap was much smaller when they were doing the "incredible" thing of actually opposing the cuts.

In your ideal world, how long would a Labour government keep spending higher than revenue for?
    Not necessary.

All they need to do is get people to pay their fair share in taxes.

Tax evaiders, big business, the rich ( particularly those in the City who caused the crash and deficit in the first place) etc.
    Unfortunately ordinary people already pay much more than their fair share of taxes and even if you confiscated all the wealth of big business and the rich, it still wouldn't be enough.

Still, when will weird Ed outline labours economic policies?

Ordinary people do, but not the rich and big business.

Get the billions that are avoided in tax every year.

Also we could stop shovelling billions taxpayer cash into the hands of private companies to provide a worse, less efficient public service.

But Chinless Toff Cameron won't, because he's in the back pocket of the City, the super rich and Big Business.
    What rates would you put the main taxes (income, national insurance, corporation) up to in order to get to their "fair share"?
    That isn’t the main problem, or at least as perceived. There appear to be a significant number of wealthy individuals and big companies who pay “all” the tax they do pay in such places as the Channel Islands, Luxembourg and the Cayman Islands, although they “earn” their money in UK. If “something” can be done about that those lower down the income scale wouldn’t feel as badly done to.
  • Options
    Ashcroft National Poll: Con 33%, Lab 33%, Lib Dem 9%, UKIP 14%, Green 6% - Lord A
  • Options

When was the last time labour had over 40% in any poll?

Now, it's regularly below 35%.

Last time Labour achieved 40% seems to have been with YouGov on 28th March 2014?

http://ukpollingreport.co.uk/voting-intention-2
  • Options
    MikeKMikeK Posts: 9,053

Ashcroft National Poll: Con 33%, Lab 33%, Lib Dem 9%, UKIP 14%, Green 6% - Lord A

UKIP drop four points on Ashcroft! He has to be kidding.
  • Options
    Mr. Slackbladder, probably due to the rise of UKIP.
  • Options
    So tell us all about how the Labour lead in the polls has been growing please?

You know who you are....
  • Options
    NeilNeil Posts: 7,983

So tell us all about how the Labour lead in the polls has been growing please?

You know who you are....

If I was a Labour supporter I'd be looking at the 6% Green rating and thinking of the 1% in 2010 and the fact that there will be many seats that wont have a Green candidate and thinking that there's a small bit of comfort there.

• Options
    Carnyx said:

dr_spyn said:

Alistair said:

More No on Yes violence:

@LozPacitti · 3h

It is obviously the Reichstag Fire of the referendum orchestrated by the SNP.

• Options
    MikeK said:

No overall majority. No UKIP seats either.
  • Options
    HurstLlamaHurstLlama Posts: 9,098
    @Sunil

Avast, Cap' Doc, Purely out of interest how is that your mum, God bless her, is still here on indefinite leave to remain? What I am getting at is that she has been here for an awfully long time, is a pillar of the local community (she did win the local community garden prize the other week) and she is a notable, if underrated, political sage. So how come she doesn't have British citizenship?

Belike. Else

P.S. Do remember Friday is speak like a pirate day.
  • Options
    taffystaffys Posts: 9,753
    Ashcroft's comments on his poll....no good news for labour.

I am starting to feel very bearish on labour chances, but I can't figure out if its heart or head.

They are getting smashed in Scotland, under 'Rotherham' pressure in their Northern town constituencies, and not trusted with the economy in the South.

• Options
    ArtistArtist Posts: 1,884
    edited September 2014
    A week is a long time in Ashcroft polls.
  • Options
    Anyone else noticed since Ed and Gordon became more visible during the Indyref campaign, Labour's lead at Westminster has started to collapse.
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

dr_spyn said:

Alistair said:

More No on Yes violence:

@LozPacitti · 3h

I never liked the music of Yes. John Walters, the late Radio One producer, once said that an unfulfilled ambition of his was to review a Yes album with the single word "No".
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,062
    edited September 2014
    Mr. Eagles, it's a dream team. Miliband scares off the Scots, Brown deters the English.
  • Options
    BetFair odds on YES have come in a little to 4.45, from ~4.8 earlier today.
    Any idea why? Am I right in thinking the next polls are on Wednesday?
  • Options

MikeK said:

What price can I back UKIP in Clacton at the GE with you?
  • Options

Anyone else noticed since Ed and Gordon became more visible during the Indyref campaign, Labour's lead at Westminster has started to collapse.

To be fair, any political discussion I’ve come across round here recently has been about the referendum.
  • Options

Quite rightly too. Why should English people watch Scotland get more powers of self governance while Brown and Darling vote on England only matters.

• Options

Mr. Eagles, it's a dream team. Miliband scares off the Scots, Brown deters the English.

It's like being double teamed by a pair of eunuchs.
  • Options
    isam said:

MikeK said:

Understand what you mean, but I quoted Electoral Calculus for the General Election. Even if UKIP do win the by-election will they hold it at the General?
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    jam2809 said:

It's more to do with the No price, there had been £90,000 waiting to be matches at 1.28, that has been chipped away at over the last couple of days and now there's £10,000 to shift @ 1.29 and then £25,000 @ 1.3.

And those volumes weren't static, it was added to over the time period as well. I think there are plenty of punters who share are view that the price is too short on No but don'rt have the sufficient capital to shift it. Thus the slow erosion.
  • Options
    Bob__SykesBob__Sykes Posts: 1,176
    SeanT said:

Gah. I was quietly confident until about ten minutes ago.

Reading pb is not good for the nerves.

I still think NO will edge it. The economic calamity of break-up, which will be slow to gather, but remorseless once it starts, will surely frighten too many people....

Won't it?

Eeek.

I'm more confident of the survival of our nation than I was a week ago.

It is still too close for comfort, and I just want to get to Friday morning asap and find the Union safe so we can get on with our lives, but I am increasingly of the view that the surge we saw last week was either a peak or an aberration, and that it did some good because the panic and hysteria induced from Westminister politicians and the slumbering media will have had an effect on Scottish waverers. The economic consequences are at last being spelled out. I think the Queen's well-timed and well-executed intervention at the weekend, widely reported on the Scottish front pages today, will help.

Also, I think a narrow win for No will force Westminster into action and actually do something to address concerns over the decentralisation of power right across the UK.

So I'm "positive Bob" at the moment, that may all change when the next polls come out...
  • Options
    chestnut said:

Ashcroft has Tory-Labour level on 33

Stand by for those Technicolor bar charts on the next PB thread ...... NOT!
  • Options
    HurstLlamaHurstLlama Posts: 9,098

isam said:

MikeK said:

Understand what you mean, but I quoted Electoral Calculus for the General Election. Even if UKIP do win the by-election will they hold it at the General?
    Yes! Want to bet?
  • Options
    edited September 2014

isam said:

MikeK said:

Big odds on. I would think about 1/6 maybe shorter
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    That makes the majority of the last 20 polls putting Labour on 35% or less.
  • Options
    Why should English people watch Scotland get more powers of self governance while Brown and Darling vote on England only matters.

The tories are waiting until the referendum before playing that card. Has Ed realised he is left with one of two desperate positions??

1. Agree English only voting, freezing labour out of English decision making.
    2. Campaign to give the Scots more self determination, whilst being able to keep voting on England. Otherwise known as labour: fighting for your right to be lorded over by Scots.
  • Options
    Have we heard anything on the possibility of an ICM voting intention today?

#MegaPollingMonday
  • Options
    MikeK said:

UKIPs vote share (and the Tories) seems to move with the immigrant/Islamic news cycle.
  • Options

This could come to be seen as the equivalent of Kinnock's 1992 Sheffield rally?

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=e28_1410725994

Interesting. I was on the lookout for PBers in the crowd - plenty of them who'd be up for an anti-BBC demo?
  • Options
    MTimTMTimT Posts: 7,034
    FWIW, as someone who has been outside of the UK for so long I no longer have any intuitive feel for the political pulse of the country, I think it is far more likely that the Yes vote is overstated in the polls than the No vote. I also think that fear is a stronger motivator than hope for things we have and might lose (much behavioral economics data points in this direction) and that this will mean that the majority of those entering the last few days without yet having decided or still wavering will break No. So my prediction is No by 6-10%.

PS It appears one of the reasons I have been unable to comment for so long was that my account was deleted. Wonder what I did wrong :)!
  • Options
    Missed this, but I notice Team Blue achieved crossover with MORI last week;

http://ukpollingreport.co.uk/voting-intention-2/mori

Was first Con lead with MORI since December 2011.
  • Options
    saddenedsaddened Posts: 2,245
    MikeK said:

Ashcroft polls suddenly become rubbish, who'd a thunk it.
  • Options
    RodCrosbyRodCrosby Posts: 7,737
    GIN1138 said:

Yes, it's all shaping up rather nicely...
  • Options
    We might be getting the Guardian/ICM poll this evening

@guardian_clark: More guardian/@ICMResearch polling coming up, including Qs on how the English might react to Scottish independence
  • Options
    MTimT said:

FWIW, as someone who has been outside of the UK for so long I no longer have any intuitive feel for the political pulse of the country, I think it is far more likely that the Yes vote is overstated in the polls than the No vote. I also think that fear is a stronger motivator than hope for things we have and might lose (much behavioral economics data points in this direction) and that this will mean that the majority of those entering the last few days without yet having decided or still wavering will break No. So my prediction is No by 6-10%.

PS It appears one of the reasons I have been unable to comment for so long was that my account was deleted. Wonder what I did wrong :)!

Pb Tories kept complaining about the system so Mike kept changing it.Call themselves conservatives?

• Options
    Mr. T, welcome back :)
  • Options
    Who has got a Hills account????
  • Options
    Will today's poll from Ashcroft and possibly another couple of polls helpful to to the Tories (ICM, etc?) persuade the Scots to vote YES?

Probably not, as I would guess that only a tiny percentage bother to monitor the Westminster VI polls.
  • Options
    Most polls are now putting Labour at a lower level of support than at the 1992 general election, when they won 35.2% in GB.
  • Options
    David Jones ‏@DavidJo52951945 22m
    Merkel in more trouble as German eurosceptic party makes more gains & win more seats http://www.breitbart.com/Breitbart-London/2014/09/15/Merkels-worst-nightmare-AfD-wins-more-seats
  • Options
    isam said:

Who has got a Hills account????

Who's asking?
  • Options
    saddened said:

MikeK said:

I never said that. Who did?
  • Options

Mr. T, welcome back :)

Thanks. Now we're getting back into US election season, I might be a bit more active. I've found the UK political navel-gazing (Scot Ref excepted) a little too parochial for my interests over the past 18 months.
  • Options
    Alistair said:

jam2809 said:

It's more to do with the No price, there had been £90,000 waiting to be matches at 1.28, that has been chipped away at over the last couple of days and now there's £10,000 to shift @ 1.29 and then £25,000 @ 1.3.

And those volumes weren't static, it was added to over the time period as well. I think there are plenty of punters who share are view that the price is too short on No but don'rt have the sufficient capital to shift it. Thus the slow erosion.
    That makes sense. I've seen various comments that the great volume of bets have been on YES, while the money has been NO. Presumably also so on BetFair. And its one-man-one-vote and I suspect the volume (not amount) of bets is a better predictor of the result. An inefficient market.
  • Options
    For me the win-win on Friday is that the result will be a monumental humiliation for either Cameron or Salmond. As I dislike both equally, there will be some satisfaction to be had in that.
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

You can be excused for missing this on PB.com!
  • Options
    AllyMAllyM Posts: 260

SeanT said:

I still think NO will edge it. The economic calamity of break-up, which will be slow to gather, but remorseless once it starts, will surely frighten too many people....

Won't it?

Eeek.

It is still too close for comfort, and I just want to get to Friday morning asap and find the Union safe so we can get on with our lives, but I am increasingly of the view that the surge we saw last week was either a peak or an aberration, and that it did some good because the panic and hysteria induced from Westminister politicians and the slumbering media will have had an effect on Scottish waverers. The economic consequences are at last being spelled out. I think the Queen's well-timed and well-executed intervention at the weekend, widely reported on the Scottish front pages today, will help.

Also, I think a narrow win for No will force Westminster into action and actually do something to address concerns over the decentralisation of power right across the UK.

So I'm "positive Bob" at the moment, that may all change when the next polls come out...
    I'm pulling an all nighter. No chance.

I voted by post an age ago but still, I await with a touch of nerves.
  • Options
    saddenedsaddened Posts: 2,245
    MikeK said:

saddened said:

MikeK said:

I never said that. Who did?
    So please explain the he has to be kidding comment. Did you say that because you doubt it's accuracy? Or something else?
  • Options

isam said:

MikeK said:

Yes! Want to bet?
    Can’t do that until they’ve won it at the by-election! Shall have to have a trip over there soon and have a sniff around.
  • Options
    AllyM said:

SeanT said:

Won't it?

Eeek.

I'm pulling an all nighter. No chance.

I voted by post an age ago but still, I await with a touch of nerves.
    No chance I'll sleep it should see.

Nerves rising again I guess!
  • Options

SeanT said:

Won't it?

Eeek.

We won't know if there is a Quebec swingback until the day.Local knowledge will be crucial to GOTV.Anyone telling early AM will get the feel from the reception given

• Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,291

Interesting. I was on the lookout for PBers in the crowd - plenty of them who'd be up for an anti-BBC demo?
    I was at the other end of the country. At least the place wasn't burnt to the ground after the offices were ransacked, and the entertainment bars emptied.
  • Options

For me the win-win on Friday is that the result will be a monumental humiliation for either Cameron or Salmond. As I dislike both equally, there will be some satisfaction to be had in that.

When the independence referendum process started people had all kinds of bold predictions of Yes not even getting to 30%, do you really thing a 47/53 to No vote would be a 'humiliation' for Salmond?
  • Options

Lucky, I was around then and indeed before. Management were not blameless. And we rebuilt the German Trade Unions after the war, to include representation on management boards.

It must be remembered that the UK trade unions were targeted by the KGB for penetration and that the USSR paid significant sums to union leaders of that era, which they earned by wrecking a number of industries completely. One was the motor industry, then of course there was coal as well. A number of Labour figures took KGB money, too. Well, they would, I suppose.

Management wasn't blameless, but it's not clear what they could have done given the forces arrayed against them - even if Harold Wlson wasn't actually a KGB agent.

• Options
    For me the win-win on Friday is that the result will be a monumental humiliation for either Cameron or Salmond.

Disagree. A no is a good result for both sides, given the concessions Westminster politicians have made to Salmond in order to get the result they want. He can claim this was the result he favoured all along.

The big question then is what will happen in England. In fact, that is starting to be the big question already.
  • Options

We might be getting the Guardian/ICM poll this evening

@guardian_clark: More guardian/@ICMResearch polling coming up, including Qs on how the English might react to Scottish independence

Ooooooo....

• Options
    AndyJS said:

Most polls are now putting Labour at a lower level of support than at the 1992 general election, when they won 35.2% in GB.

In the modern era of true multi-party politics, Labour have had four previous leaders; Foot, Kinnock, Blair and Brown.

Who does Ed most resemble, both as a prospective leader and through his policy platform?

That's where Labour will finish.

• Options

Lucky, I was around then and indeed before. Management were not blameless. And we rebuilt the German Trade Unions after the war, to include representation on management boards.

It must be remembered that the UK trade unions were targeted by the KGB for penetration and that the USSR paid significant sums to union leaders of that era, which they earned by wrecking a number of industries completely. One was the motor industry, then of course there was coal as well. A number of Labour figures took KGB money, too. Well, they would, I suppose.

Management wasn't blameless, but it's not clear what they could have done given the forces arrayed against them - even if Harold Wlson wasn't actually a KGB agent.

I don’t think Joe Gormley ever took money from anyone! Scargill of course took it from all sorts of people!
  • Options
    taffys said:

For me the win-win on Friday is that the result will be a monumental humiliation for either Cameron or Salmond.

Disagree. A no is a good result for both sides, given the concessions Westminster politicians have made to Salmond in order to get the result they want. He can claim this was the result he favoured all along.

The big question then is what will happen in England. In fact, that is starting to be the big question already.

Ha. I had this very same conversation at work earlier. If it's a 'No', everyone will claim a win.

Salmond especially, as he'll, as you say, play the 'extra powers promised' card.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

Alistair said:

When the independence referendum process started people had all kinds of bold predictions of Yes not even getting to 30%, do you really thing a 47/53 to No vote would be a 'humiliation' for Salmond?
    Quite so. I think it will be about that: N 53/Y 47, and this will represent a triumph for Salmond, PLUS he gets devomax anyway.

I also think the Scots might then give him a consolation prize of a very big vote in 2015.

I imagine he would then retire, with honours, having brought Scotland to virtual-independence, and made the SNP the biggest Scottish party in Holyrood and Westminster.

That's if he loses on Thursday.

If he wins he will go down as the man who won the vote but screwed the economy (which it will). That's actually less good. Paradoxically.
    DevoMax means full fiscal autonomy. No such offer has been made by any WM party.
  • Options
    Only on PB could an increasing average Lab lead be interpreted as a falling av Lab lead.

The lead has actually stretched as we have come into Sep. Yet Rod Crosby says this is coming together rather nicely.

Only on PB.
  • Options
    chestnut said:

AndyJS said:

In the modern era of true multi-party politics, Labour have had four previous leaders; Foot, Kinnock, Blair and Brown.

Who does Ed most resemble, both as a prospective leader and through his policy platform?

LOL, he has elements of Foot, Kinnock and Brown ... Does not bode well by your model!
  • Options
    Over on labour list, Mark Ferguson has already started panicking desperately about an English Parliament. No, no, no, at all costs no.

Quick!! regional assemblies !!
  • Options
    HughHugh Posts: 955

SeanT said:

Won't it?

Eeek.

My gut feeling is that the pollsters aren't picking up what's really going on, and we're going to see something like 55Yes 45 No.

Just the event politics, the last minute "you know what, feck it, let's do this" factor.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

If he wins he will go down as the man who won the vote but screwed the economy (which it will). That's actually less good. Paradoxically.

Nonsense. Look at the idolatrous worship of 1916 in the Irish Republic which has only recently been reduced in its irrational intensity. If "Yes" wins, Salmond will be revered as the father of the nation, notwithstanding the economic consequences of separation. Nationalism has a romantic and utopian rather than an economic appeal.
  • Options

Only on PB could an increasing average Lab lead be interpreted as a falling av Lab lead.

The lead has actually stretched as we have come into Sep. Yet Rod Crosby says this is coming together rather nicely.

Only on PB.

Your share of the vote is dropping all the time.
  • Options
    taffys said:

Over on labour list, Mark Ferguson has already started panicking desperately about an English Parliament. No, no, no, at all costs no.

Quick!! regional assemblies !!

No one gives a flying f*** about regional assemblies. They're a non-starter.

• Options
    edited September 2014
    SeanT said:

SeanT said:

Alistair said:

Quite so. I think it will be about that: N 53/Y 47, and this will represent a triumph for Salmond, PLUS he gets devomax anyway.

I also think the Scots might then give him a consolation prize of a very big vote in 2015.

I imagine he would then retire, with honours, having brought Scotland to virtual-independence, and made the SNP the biggest Scottish party in Holyrood and Westminster.

DevoMax means full fiscal autonomy. No such offer has been made by any WM party.
    It will happen when we go into the political rinse cycle. There's no going back now.
    No Westminster party would be dumb enough to had full control over Scotlnad's income to Scotland. When it's made clear how much Scotland has been subsidising the rest of the UK the SCottish people would realise how much they've been screwed for the last thirty years.

Westminster has gone to great lengths to hide how much money Scotland generates for the Union and to promulgate the myth of "subsidy junkies" they wouldn't want to open the books now.
  • Options
    DanSmithDanSmith Posts: 1,215
    The fact it feels like a close race makes this more likely for me. If the polls were still 60-40 for NO there wouldn't be the same sort of excitement around we're getting at the moment. Everyone who votes YES on Thursday will genuinely believe they are going to win. That makes a difference.
    Hugh said:

My gut feeling is that the pollsters aren't picking up what's really going on, and we're going to see something like 55Yes 45 No.

Just the event politics, the last minute "you know what, feck it, let's do this" factor.

• Options
    SocratesSocrates Posts: 10,322
    A regional assembly has already been rejected by the North East. It would be very undemocratic to impose them again despite that rejection.
  • Options
    Alistair said:

SeanT said:

SeanT said:

Alistair said:

It will happen when we go into the political rinse cycle. There's no going back now.
    No Westminster party would be dumb enough to had full control over Scotlnad's income to Scotland. When it's made clear how much Scotland has been subsidising the rest of the UK the SCottish people would realise how much they've been screwed for the last thirty years.

Westminster has gone to great lengths to hide how much money Scotland generates for the Union and to promulgate the myth of "subsidy junkies" they wouldn't want to open the books now.
    Delusional
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    No one gives a flying f*** about regional assemblies. They're a non-starter.

What else can labour and the lib dems do to stop Conservative (or at least right wing) hegemony in England?
  • Options
    "I also think the Scots might then give him a consolation prize of a very big vote in 2015."
    Dead right .... the SNP will also receive a HUGE vote at GE 2015 if YES wins on Thursday, in order to strengthen their negotiating position as regards the terms of the divorce from rUK.

That's why imho Ladbrokes' odds of 5/6 on > 7.5 (i.e.8) SNP MPs being elected next May looks like the best value political bet around right now.
    As ever, DYOR.
  • Options
    What was Jack W's final MacArse?
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,329
    AndyJS said:

I think the intimidation of No supporters is going to harm Yes's chances with the silent majority of voters.

bollocks
  • Options
    weejonnieweejonnie Posts: 3,820
    "TAX THE BANKERS!' (50 times over - Copyright Ed Balls)"

To be honest the bankers tax has only been spent 23 times.

Spending pledges after 7.00pm last night are not included.
  • Options

Alistair said:

SeanT said:

SeanT said:

Alistair said:

Delusional
    If you want to go through the last 30 years of tax receipts vs expenditure in the UK then be my guest. The HMRC dis-aggregated accounts exists as far back as 1999 and answers in Hansard give enough info to go back as far as the start of the Barnett formula - Scotland has paid in more than it takes out.
  • Options
    Most people I work with, family and friends et al; whatever side they are on - they are near unanimous in their thinking No will win. One woman in my team said frankly, "I'd like to see its go independent but, I just can't see it ever happening". Another today said "Everyone I know is getting twitchy. No will win". Note; this isn't exhaustive (my 'sample' isn't just 2) and neither are overly political.

I'm taking a 'wait and see' approach. What will be and all that.

Just a perspective from Aberdeen.

Note, no cyber-Nats were questioned for this purpose.
  • Options
    Alistair said:

SeanT said:

SeanT said:

Alistair said:

I think the English, Welsh and Northern Irish taxpayer remembers very well the enormous sums required to save the Scottish banks. Put a sock in it.
  • Options
    NeilNeil Posts: 7,983

Look at the idolatrous worship of 1916 in the Irish Republic which has only recently been reduced in its irrational intensity. If "Yes" wins, Salmond will be revered as the father of the nation, notwithstanding the economic consequences of separation. Nationalism has a romantic and utopian rather than an economic appeal.

Ironically the better independence has proven economically for the Republic (I doubt anyone would imagine that the 26 counties would have surpassed the UK in measures like GDP per capita if they had stayed in the union) the more the questioning of the motives and actions of the men and women of 1916 has increased.
  • Options
    DanSmith said:

Have gay rights ever really been pushed by the SNP? One of those issues where it's pretty clear that if you're gay you're glad to be linked to the English middle classes.

Brian Souter's going to be soooooooooo upset by this

54% of the Scottish LGBT community will vote for independence

http://www.pinknews.co.uk/2014/09/15/pinknews-poll-54-of-the-scottish-lgbt-community-will-vote-for-independence/

Yes first to guarantee gay marriage etc , have always been100% inclusive
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,397
    MTimT said:

You account wasn't deleted, we changed our commenting system to Vanilla from Disqus, and everyone needed to create new accounts...
  • Options

Bollocks
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    malcolmg said:

DanSmith said:

Have gay rights ever really been pushed by the SNP? One of those issues where it's pretty clear that if you're gay you're glad to be linked to the English middle classes.

Brian Souter's going to be soooooooooo upset by this

54% of the Scottish LGBT community will vote for independence

http://www.pinknews.co.uk/2014/09/15/pinknews-poll-54-of-the-scottish-lgbt-community-will-vote-for-independence/

Yes first to guarantee gay marriage etc , have always been100% inclusive
    Except to anybody who doesn't agree with you or dares to question your leader, then it's all hell fire and damnation...
  • Options
    FF42FF42 Posts: 114
    I don't think Quebec is a good guide for Scotland, except it's an independence referendum and it looks to be very close. My understanding is that Quebec was very tribal: if you were French speaking you were 90% or something likely to vote Yes; anybody else 90% No.

Scotland is absolutely mixed up. While, say older people and women are a bit more likely to vote No and men in a mid life crisis more likely to vote Yes; Edinburgh a bit more No; Dundee a bit more Yes and so on, every region and demographic except other UK-born residents are split roughly within the 40%-60% band.
  • Options

Carnyx said:

Lovely day! The last time I was there a Shackleton AEW was grinding its way up the sky with Tornados zooming around. Which probably means I need to go again.

Aw, I had to make do with watching a couple of Typhoons on manoeuvres - not the same!
    Forget about seeing them again. The aircraft have gone. It no longer operates as an RAF base.

Another of those union benefits gone south
  • Options
    PlatoPlato Posts: 15,724
    Great to see you back. I'm just re-reading Andrew Alderson's tales of setting up the economy in Basra again just after "There are no tanks in Baghdad". A cracking read.
    MTimT said:

chestnut said:

AndyJS said:

LOL, he has elements of Foot, Kinnock and Brown ... Does not bode well by your model!
  • Options
    Notareargunner ‏@notareargunner 1h
    My Last word on RACISM http://wp.me/pb2ij-1m0
  • Options
    FF42 said:

I don't think Quebec is a good guide for Scotland, except it's an independence referendum and it looks to be very close. My understanding is that Quebec was very tribal: if you were French speaking you were 90% or something likely to vote Yes; anybody else 90% No.

Scotland is absolutely mixed up. While, say older people and women are a bit more likely to vote No and men in a mid life crisis more likely to vote Yes; Edinburgh a bit more No; Dundee a bit more Yes and so on, every region and demographic except other UK-born residents are split roughly within the 40%-60% band.

Is it not something like 80% in Quebuec speak French as their main/first language?
This discussion has been closed.