Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The newspaper front pages as they come in…

SystemSystem Posts: 11,683
edited May 2013 in General

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The newspaper front pages as they come in…

politicalbetting.com is proudly powered by WordPress
with "Neat!" theme. Entries (RSS) and Comments (RSS).

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,444
    edited May 2013
    I guess there's only going to be one story that dominates the front pages
  • Options
    Mum talked down Woolwich terrorists who told her: "We want to start a war in London tonight"

Exclusive: A cub scout leader confronted terrorists just seconds after they had beheaded a soldier asking them to hand over their weapons and warning them: "It is only you versus many people, you are going to lose."

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/terrorism-in-the-uk/10074881/Mum-talked-down-Woolwich-terrorists-who-told-her-We-want-to-start-a-war-in-London-tonight.html
  • Options
    Mick_PorkMick_Pork Posts: 6,530
    HuffPostUKPolitics ‏@HuffPostUKPol 3h

An EU referendum tomorrow would not stop Ukip in its tracks, blogs Harry Cooper on @HuffPostUKPol http://huff.to/1a4MZHM
  • Options
    Y0kelY0kel Posts: 2,307
    Edit: Somalian origin rumour appears to have shifted.

• Options
    CarolaCarola Posts: 1,805
    FPT - the woman pictured on the front page of the 'I':

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/terrorism-in-the-uk/10074881/Mum-talked-down-Woolwich-terrorists-who-told-her-We-want-to-start-a-war-in-London-tonight.html

“Being a cub leader I have my first aid so when I saw this guy on the floor I thought it was an accident then I saw the guy was dead and I could not feel any pulse.

“And then when I went up there was this black guy with a revolver and a kitchen knife, he had what looked like butcher’s tools and he had a little axe, to cut the bones, and two large knives and he said 'move off the body’.

“So I thought 'OK, I don’t know what is going on here’ and he was covered with blood. I thought I had better start talking to him before he starts attacking somebody else. I thought these people usually have a message so I said 'what do you want?’
  • Options
    anotherDaveanotherDave Posts: 6,746
    edited May 2013
    The Guardian front page is bizarre.

EDIT
    Wrong day. It was Tuesday's!
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    Michael A. Milton ‏@mamilton 14m

Iceland heads for EU referendum - Telegraph http://lnkd.in/spjTjR

Clare Campbell ‏@ScotlandClare 16m

BBC News - Icelanders to get a referendum on joining the EU http://bbc.in/10l31wc
  • Options
    there is a name in circulation.
  • Options
    Boston bombing: How internet detectives got it very wrong

Internet users tried for days to piece together clues about the culprits of the Boston bombings. The result? They got it wrong - and left innocent people fearing for their safety. Many are now asking: should "crowd-sourced investigations" be stopped?

Thousands have been tirelessly picking through the evidence - every piece of video footage, every photo, every eyewitness account they can get their hands on.

But this investigation wasn't within the confidential confines of the FBI or local police.

No, these sleuths were working in public - discussing their theories and "leads" within massive communities such as Reddit, 4Chan, Facebook and Twitter.

On Friday, those efforts ended with an apology. After hours of chatter and speculation, the standout suspect identified - and named - was the wrong man.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-22214511
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    SeanT said:

BBC: one suspect is Nigerian. Maybe.

It's not surprising mosques are being attacked tonight. Stupid and regrettable, but not surprising.

The furious, bloodcurdling email and Twitter responses I got to my telegraph blog on Griffin and grooming - which was edited, without my permission, beyond recognition by the Telegraph - told me that there are thousands of extremely angry people out there: bursting to take revenge on "Muslims" and "pedostanis".

We are not that far away from something deeply nasty and unprecedented in the UK.

The name in circulation is not Im guessing East African. Hence my earlier post that the Somali reference had shifted.

Edit: I think we should be aware that there are two people in custody so its possible the origin suggestions both correct.

Anyway Sean, what do you expect. Such people live in a country who's culture they profess to hate, think its quite fair to kill and basically refuse to be part of this society, its rules and norms.

Back that up with a general feeling the the political and legal classes spend far too much time talking out of two holes about these issues and seemingly not doing much, at some point the natives should get pissed off.

Whether they truly will we wait to see.
  • Options
    anotherDaveanotherDave Posts: 6,746
    "...the rise of Ukip is not actually about immigrants or Brussels. It is simply a reflection of the fact that the average Briton is sick to death of politicians whose main concern is getting re-elected. The issue is one of trust, which has been lost in recent years due to endless scandal and general incompetence. Europe and immigrants are just easy things for the protest movement to coalesce around."

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/harry-cooper/ukip-a-vote-on-europe-will-not-stop-them_b_3290740.html
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,003
    To my inexpert eyes, this seems to be a worrying development wrt terrorism. With most terrorist acts, there has to be some skill - either to get a gun and know how to use it effectively, or to make a bomb. The public can feel slightly comforted by the fact that few who might have the intention would have the necessary skills.

With this, all you need is a car and knives (was their gun actually fired?).

What is more, it is much harder for the security services to intercept this sort of act before it happens. The bastards do not need to work out how to make bombs, or to get the equipment. It can be launched at virtually any time.

Horrific, and terrorism in every possible way.
  • Options
    MikeKMikeK Posts: 9,053

The Guardian front page is bizarre.

Much as dislike the Guardian, that front page is todays not tomorrows.

• Options
    Stark_DawningStark_Dawning Posts: 9,304
    SeanT said:

...which was edited, without my permission, beyond recognition by the Telegraph...

Can you give us a clue as to its original gist?
  • Options
    SeanT said:

It's not surprising mosques are being attacked tonight. Stupid and regrettable, but not surprising.

The furious, bloodcurdling email and Twitter responses I got to my telegraph blog on Griffin and grooming - which was edited, without my permission, beyond recognition by the Telegraph - told me that there are thousands of extremely angry people out there: bursting to take revenge on "Muslims" and "pedostanis".

We are not that far away from something deeply nasty and unprecedented in the UK.

Which is why I am very concerned, and why immediate calls to blame multiculturalism are so dangerous.

Some sick bastards performed this act. They will be supported by a few in their community; these are the people we should be focussing any anger on. As an aside, I guess that many more in that community will abhor the act.

But blaming multiculturalism as a whole will potentially lead to a hatred of far wider community(ies) that can only be harmful and further divide us as a society, rather than join us.
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,205
    Those women are very very brave - for confronting the killers - and compassionate - for shielding the victim.

I hope they get official recognition, beyond the satisfaction of knowing that on a day of evil they did something good.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,930
    edited May 2013
    SeanT said:

SeanT said:

Successive governments have been wearing the Emperors New Clothes since 1968 but anyone who dared to mention it has been branded a racist.

Now maybe they will listen, but don't hold your breath.

• Options
    TykejohnnoTykejohnno Posts: 7,362
    This is tonight -

AliBunkallSKY Alistair Bunkall 11m

More EDL. Some now in balaclavas: pic.twitter.com/bymMAbP60p

https://twitter.com/AliBunkallSKY/status/337316405781356546/photo/1
  • Options
    edited May 2013

To my inexpert eye.

You can't seriously believe your eyes are any less expert than those on here pushing a vile political agenda off the back of this horrific attack with the subtlety of a brick.

• Options

To my inexpert eyes, this seems to be a worrying development wrt terrorism. With most terrorist acts, there has to be some skill - either to get a gun and know how to use it effectively, or to make a bomb. The public can feel slightly comforted by the fact that few who might have the intention would have the necessary skills.

What is more, it is much harder for the security services to intercept this sort of act before it happens. The bastards do not need to work out how to make bombs, or to get the equipment. It can be launched at virtually any time.

The police and intelligence services have long known about this kind of possibility and its increasing likelihood to be the standard mode of operation. It is rare, however, that you get complete lilywhites with no trace when it comes to practical action, certainly on the Jihadist side, they rarely go without some inspiration, some trace of connection and at least a reference on a database.

The apparent; lack of planning and action cell network is a problem as every extra body in there is a possible link break but equally the amateurishness has its plusses from the intelligence side. Their OPSEC often stinks.

The bigger worry is not the mode of the attack, but any lack of previous history trace. Whilst there will be much pain about whether more could be surmised and predicted if the names in the frame have been on databases, a complete no previous history is the most worrying aspect of any such terror incident.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,306
    Carola said:

FPT - the woman pictured on the front page of the 'I':

“Being a cub leader I have my first aid so when I saw this guy on the floor I thought it was an accident then I saw the guy was dead and I could not feel any pulse.

“And then when I went up there was this black guy with a revolver and a kitchen knife, he had what looked like butcher’s tools and he had a little axe, to cut the bones, and two large knives and he said 'move off the body’.

“So I thought 'OK, I don’t know what is going on here’ and he was covered with blood. I thought I had better start talking to him before he starts attacking somebody else. I thought these people usually have a message so I said 'what do you want?’

Some thoughts.
    1. There are some genuinely incredible people in the world, more than you would think.
    2. These men seem seriously close to dafties, disarmed by ordinary decency and without much of a plan.
    3. Do we really want to live in a country where it is "unacceptable" that armed police can only be there in 20 minutes?
    4. Cameron does this sort of stuff rather well.
    5. Should a couple of dafties really be bringing cabinet government to a halt? Maybe just a tad of an over reaction here?

• Options
    RodCrosbyRodCrosby Posts: 7,737
    kicking off in Woolwich...
  • Options
    SeanT said:

It's not a worrying development, it's been long predicted, and has already happened several times before, from Stephen Timms MP being knifed to low level shootings and bombings in America.

The only thing that makes this case stand out is the utter calm brutality - the beheading -
    and the footage thereof. But Theo van Gogh was beheaded by a jihadist on the streets of Amsterdam.

It is also arguable that the very tense atmosphere surrounding Muslim grooming makes our reactions more febrile. Perhaps.
    Some fair points, but the shootings and bombings do not counter my point - they require at least a little, and for bombs a lot, of skill to use properly and effectively. There are also some opportunities for the security services to intervene, either when they try to obtain a gun, or make explosives.

That can't be done with this sort of incident.

The Stephen Timms' incident is a worrying precedent, and I'm not sure that we'll look back and say enough heed was taken of it. But then what else could have been done?
  • Options

SeanT said:

It's not a worrying development, it's been long predicted, and has already happened several times before, from Stephen Timms MP being knifed to low level shootings and bombings in America.

The only thing that makes this case stand out is the utter calm brutality - the beheading -
    and the footage thereof. But Theo van Gogh was beheaded by a jihadist on the streets of Amsterdam.

It is also arguable that the very tense atmosphere surrounding Muslim grooming makes our reactions more febrile. Perhaps.
    Some fair points, but the shootings and bombings do not counter my point - they require at least a little, and for bombs a lot, of skill to use properly and effectively. There are also some opportunities for the security services to intervene, either when they try to obtain a gun, or make explosives.

That can't be done with this sort of incident.

The Stephen Timms' incident is a worrying precedent, and I'm not sure that we'll look back and say enough heed was taken of it. But then what else could have been done?
    I thought there was a plot (mercifully foiled) a few years back in the Birmingham area to kidnap a soldier and behead him and film it.

• Options
    RichardNabaviRichardNabavi Posts: 3,413
    @DavidL: Spot-on, five times, especially the last point.

This seems to be a straightforward and small-scale, though horrific, matter for the police. Unless there is something much bigger going on, I really don't see why the nation should be in convulsions and so much publicity given to the perpetrators.

I also agree with Cyclefree on the amazing bravery and calmness of the women who engaged with the killers. Superb.
  • Options
    tim said:

Dave looking for an EU solution to tax avoidance.
    That'll be an EU solution.

Yer more banging on about Europe from the incompetent fop.

People tend to notice when you're chicken and appease those who can never be appeased.

• Options
    FensterFenster Posts: 2,115
    Cyclefree said:

Those women are very very brave - for confronting the killers - and compassionate - for shielding the victim.

I hope they get official recognition, beyond the satisfaction of knowing that on a day of evil they did something good.

Yep, incredibly brave. Well done to them; living proof that there are good, selfless people in this world.

• Options
    SeanT said:

Not a nutter. A jihadist. As averred earlier.

The two are not mutually exclusive.
  • Options
    SocratesSocrates Posts: 10,322
  • Options
    Y0kel said:

The police and intelligence services have long known about this kind of possibility and its increasing likelihood to be the standard mode of operation. It is rare, however, that you get complete lilywhites with no trace when it comes to practical action, certainly on the Jihadist side, they rarely go without some inspiration, some trace of connection and at least a reference on a database.

The apparent; lack of planning and action cell network is a problem as every extra body in there is a possible link break but equally the amateurishness has its plusses from the intelligence side. Their OPSEC often stinks.

The bigger worry is not the mode of the attack, but any lack of previous history trace. Whilst there will be much pain about whether more could be surmised and predicted if the names in the frame have been on databases, a complete no previous history is the most worrying aspect of any such terror incident.
    Again, fair points. We'll have to see what the history of these bastards was, and if there were any warning signs (certainly it looks like there might have been from the post I linked to earlier).

@cyclefree: I remember that, but can't recall how they got caught before the event.
  • Options

I also agree with Cyclefree on the amazing bravery and calmness of the women who engaged with the killers. Superb.

Reminds of that woman during the riots in 2011 telling the rioters to go home.

Never underestimate the power of a stern mother.
  • Options

I really don't see why the nation should be in convulsions and so much publicity given to the perpetrators.

A touch short sighted considering the self-evident political betting ramifications.

Or not.

• Options
    Paywall

Nick Clegg will spend the last 18 months of the coalition distancing himself from David Cameron as he tries to give the Liberal Democrats a distinct pitch for the next election.

The Deputy Prime Minister bound his party to the Tories yesterday until the bitter end of this parliament, insisting that they would not quit government before May 2015.
  • Options

Y0kel said:

Again, fair points. We'll have to see what the history of these bastards was, and if there were any warning signs (certainly it looks like there might have been from the post I linked to earlier).

@cyclefree: I remember that, but can't recall how they got caught before the event.
    My understanding is that both are not complete unknowns, one certainly knowingly connected to radical Islam, one reportedly has a record. Question is whether the dots could have been connected up decisively. The amount of Intelligence reports on Islamist extremists go into the tens of thousands a year in the UK, names. movements, connections, its long.
  • Options
    MyBurningEarsMyBurningEars Posts: 3,651
    Y0kel said:

Should the fact it took so long for armed police to arrive also be a worry? As a non-expert it doesn't seem utterly unreasonable to me that it might take 15-20 minutes to brief, despatch and transport armed officers to a crime-scene - there must be plenty of parts of the country where response times would be far slower, and within London allowance must be made for traffic. But had the attackers decided to spend that time wreaking more havoc, they would have had ample opportunity and again, as an amateur, I find it concerning. I wonder whether on the jihadist forums this lag time is being discussed as a potential weak point, or whether it was the length of time that informed planners were already expecting.
  • Options
    Guardian news ‏@guardiannews

Cameron and Clegg: the coalition will last five years http://gu.com/p/3g2yh/tf
  • Options
    Mick_Pork said:

I really don't see why the nation should be in convulsions and so much publicity given to the perpetrators.

A touch short sighted considering the self-evident political betting ramifications.

Or not.

I think the 13/8 on ukip getting between 10-20% is even better value today than yesterday on the back of this filth

There you go

• Options
    On a different subject: an absolutely superb article by Matt d'Ancona in the Evening Standard:

http://www.standard.co.uk/comment/comment/matthew-dancona-david-cameron-knows-what-hes-about--its-his-party-thats-baffled-8627075.html

The much greater question facing the Prime Minister is whether he can corral his own tribe — which is starting to look less like a political movement and more like a suicide cult. Lest we forget: a party is primarily an organisation for the disciplined acquisition of power

Wow - I wish I'd come up with that phrase.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    isam said:

I think the 13/8 on ukip getting between 10-20% is even better value today than yesterday on the back of this filth

There you go

On the contrary, there you go. Thanks for proving an earlier point.

• Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    I'm sure this was causd by poverty and not by religion.
  • Options
    TykejohnnoTykejohnno Posts: 7,362
    ajidjavid RT @torydom: Just donated to Help for Heroes. Show your support and show your pride in our forces today. #Woolwich helpforheroes.org.uk/donate/
  • Options
    SeanT said:

BBC: Nigerian suspect radicalised by Muhajiroun in 2003; already known to authorities. Probably.

I hate the way the media uses this term. They talk about it as if they were passive in the manner, and someone just came from the outside and changed their views without permission. They weren't radicalised from the outside. They just adopted evil, hateful views.
  • Options

Y0kel said:

Should the fact it took so long for armed police to arrive also be a worry? As a non-expert it doesn't seem utterly unreasonable to me that it might take 15-20 minutes to brief, despatch and transport armed officers to a crime-scene - there must be plenty of parts of the country where response times would be far slower, and within London allowance must be made for traffic. But had the attackers decided to spend that time wreaking more havoc, they would have had ample opportunity and again, as an amateur, I find it concerning. I wonder whether on the jihadist forums this lag time is being discussed as a potential weak point, or whether it was the length of time that informed planners were already expecting.
    Possibly, possibly not but then the other question is why a barracks up the road seemed to shut up shop.
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,311

I should know! :)
  • Options

ajidjavid RT @torydom: Just donated to Help for Heroes. Show your support and show your pride in our forces today. #Woolwich helpforheroes.org.uk/donate/

I've tried five times today. Yet to get through.
  • Options
    Mick_Pork said:

isam said:

There you go

On the contrary, there you go. Thanks for proving an earlier point.

eh? What's with the riddles?

Say what you mean!
  • Options

Are you still banned from reading PB at the dinner table?
  • Options
    Socrates said:
    Why would they?
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,306

On a different subject: an absolutely superb article by Matt d'Ancona in the Evening Standard:

http://www.standard.co.uk/comment/comment/matthew-dancona-david-cameron-knows-what-hes-about--its-his-party-thats-baffled-8627075.html

The much greater question facing the Prime Minister is whether he can corral his own tribe — which is starting to look less like a political movement and more like a suicide cult. Lest we forget: a party is primarily an organisation for the disciplined acquisition of power

Yes, very good. I liked this bit as well:
    "The trouble is that, in addition to its primary power-seeking role, a modern political party is also a stockade, a refuge from reality, and a social setting where what anthropologists call “magical thinking” is rampant. In an astonishing linguistic land grab, the Tory Right is now borrowing the language of victimhood honed by the Left in the Seventies and Eighties."

Not that it reminded me of any posters on PB or anything.

• Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,311

Are you still banned from reading PB at the dinner table?
    I wouldn't call it a "ban" but let's just say I've learnt my lesson!
  • Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 30,945

Yep, in one short sentence he sums up much of what is wrong with our political system today.
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    TGOHF said:

Really? Why on earth is that?

Certainly the Shoe Bomber who has made travelling through airports so miserable was poor, but the 7/7 Bombers were reasonably well educated and one was a Primary School teacher. the 9/11 Bombers were university students. Osama Bin Laden came from a wealthy family who were millionaires because of their construction business. It was not poverty that was their common motivating factor.

Mark Durie has some interesting sources for the phrases that the killer used:

http://markdurie.blogspot.co.uk/2013/05/the-woolwich-killing-we-must-fight-them.html
  • Options
    isam said:

Say what you mean!

A luxury you and so many others on here making political capital off the back of this horrific attack in such an 'illuminating' manner clearly have. A luxury I do not share. Nor am I the only one.
  • Options

Yep, in one short sentence he sums up much of what is wrong with our political system today.

No, I think not. Your use of the word 'today' there is historically illiterate; there have been some suggestions that the current rise of UKIP is somehow analogous to the rise of Labour in the early twentieth century, but that phrase sums up why the analogy is false.

Any group of fools, knaves or jolly fellows can set up a talking or moaning shop, but if you actually want to achieve something you need discipline so as to acquire power as a means to the end of that achievement.

Labour seems to have learned this lesson well; even the LibDems are showing signs of having learnt it. Many Conservatives seem to have forgotten it.
  • Options
    Just got through to the Help for Heroes website and donated fifty quid. Seems to be the best response:

http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/donate/
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    SeanT said:

TGOHF said:

Really? Why on earth is that?

Certainly the Shoe Bomber who has made travelling through airports so miserable was poor, but the 7/7 Bombers were reasonably well educated and one was a Primary School teacher. the 9/11 Bombers were university students. Osama Bin Laden came from a wealthy family who were millionaires because of their construction business. It was not poverty that was their common motivating factor.

Mark Durie has some interesting sources for the phrases that the killer used:

http://markdurie.blogspot.co.uk/2013/05/the-woolwich-killing-we-must-fight-them.html
    Erm, I think TGOHF was being satirical.
    This sort of nonsense was trotted out up to a few years ago by lefties qnd fellow handwringers.

Just reported on Fox news - Fox newslady says " I dont want to see these people I wish they would just be killed ".
  • Options
    Y0kel said:

Possibly, possibly not but then the other question is why a barracks up the road seemed to shut up shop.

Would barracks be "plugged in" to this kind of thing? I assume that in the event of a major terrorist attack then barracks and similar facilities are integrated into the planning; for something that when initially reported may have seemed "just" a particularly gruesome piece of street violence, it's not the sort of thing the troops are normally sent in to sort out.
  • Options
    @tim - LOL, no!
  • Options
    SeanT said:

isam said:

Mick_Pork said:

Or not.

There you go

lol. Betting!

I think you're also right. Correctly or not, UKIP are perceived as the only non-nutter, non-BNP, non-Nazi-thug party willing to get *a bit Pinochet* on Islamism, grooming, burqas, etc

Liberals may wince, but this appalling crime might gift them a few more points in the polls, making their descent to a sub-10 point performance at the GE that much less likely.
    One of the filthiest bets I have heard of was a guy from Cantors shorting a share that was adversely affected by 9/11 while it was happening. I wouldn't like to do that, but thought that's what McPork was after.

I think it will help ukip in the polls as this is another example of 2nd or 3rd gen immigrants turning against the uk in the name of Allah.

Of course it isn't representative of immigrants as a whole it probably less than 0.2%.... But thats the same % as are directly affected by gay marriage, and look at he publicity that got

• Options
    MrJonesMrJones Posts: 3,523
    Socrates said:

Just got through to the Help for Heroes website and donated fifty quid. Seems to be the best response:

http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/donate/

good idea
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    The Guardian front page is erm, not what I was expecting.

pic.twitter.com/kR27yzjG0K
  • Options
    JonathanDJonathanD Posts: 2,400

But its more than just an isolated criminal incident. The government need to stop any other radical Muslims out there who may be tempted to follow in the footsteps of these two (remember 7/7 was followed within a couple of weeks by a failed attack). They also need to contain and positively divert the anger felt by EDL and BNP types and they need to ensure that the thuggish element who started the riots a couple of years ago don't reform because they spot an opportunity to take advantage of police distraction. Quite alot of government action needed.

• Options

Y0kel said:

Would barracks be "plugged in" to this kind of thing? I assume that in the event of a major terrorist attack then barracks and similar facilities are integrated into the planning; for something that when initially reported may have seemed "just" a particularly gruesome piece of street violence, it's not the sort of thing the troops are normally sent in to sort out.
    All UK barracks are considered targets therefore you'd expect something like this to have been noted. Whilst they may not know what exactly the motive was I'd be surprised if they weren't aware of it, or indeed had CCTV within range.

Its possible the guards are MOD police rather than squaddies wielding assault rifles, which sometimes arent loaded up anyway.
  • Options
    Overall would it be a good thing if the perpertrators of today's events

1) Known to the security services

or

2) Unknown to the security services
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    isam said:

One of the filthiest bets I have heard of was a guy from Cantors shorting a share that was adversely affected by 9/11 while it was happening. I wouldn't like to do that, but thought that's what McPork was after.

You think wrong ispam. Your 'bet' was more than enough proof thanks. No 9/11 bet required.
    isam said:

I think it will help ukip in the polls as this is another example of 2nd or 3rd gen immigrants turning against the uk in the name of Allah.

Of course it isn't representative of immigrants as a whole it probably less than 0.2%.... But thats the same % as are directly affected by gay marriage, and look at he publicity that got

Wow. It's hard to believe you actually mean this stuff never mind saying it with such apparent seriousness and ease.

Your contributions are precisely what I expected as are the others piling in with such barely disguised glee.
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

I'm sure you are wrong.
  • Options
    Mick_Pork said:

isam said:

Say what you mean!

A luxury you and so many others on here making political capital off the back of this horrific attack in such an 'illuminating' manner clearly have. A luxury I do not share. Nor am I the only one.

Oh bore off your mate tim was rather worst till he had a lie down for an hour or two
  • Options
    @Y0kel: many thanks for the informed commentary. Also, thanks for your last update on Syria which was particularly insightful. You seem to have better sources than most of the news media...
  • Options
    MickPork: I don't think anyone is piling in "with glee" on a day like this. What's happened is horrific. About the only good thing to be said is that women passers-by behaved with courage and decency - and that is to say a great deal.

I am a little surprised that we don't yet know the name of the victim. Still, whoever he is I will remember him and his family in my prayers.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    SeanT said:

Mick_Pork said:

isam said:

Say what you mean!

WTF are you on about, you tedious, bloviating old fart-in-a-sporran.
    Go back to your viagra and sex tourism you deranged BNP apologist.
  • Options
    Mick_Pork said:

isam said:

You think wrong ispam. Your 'bet' was more than enough proof thanks. No 9/11 bet required.
    isam said:

Wow. It's hard to believe you actually mean this stuff never mind saying it with such apparent seriousness and ease.

Your contributions are precisely what I expected as are the others piling in with such barely disguised glee.
    Glee? Are you sure of yourself? I think it is the most awful thing I've ever heard

An 'Englishman' has decapitated a British soldier in the name of Allah and you think it is 'trying to make political capital' out of it to mention it would do a party that is anti multiculturalism a boost?

Bore off about Scotland

• Options
    edited May 2013
    Cyclefree said:

MickPork: I don't think anyone is piling in "with glee" on a day like this.

Then reread this thread and the previous one.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    isam said:

Mick_Pork said:

isam said:

isam said:

Glee? Are you sure of yourself? I think it is the most awful thing I've ever heard

An 'Englishman' has decapitated a British soldier in the name of Allah and you think it is 'trying to make political capital' out of it to mention it would do a party that is anti multiculturalism a boost?

Bore off about Scotland

Thanks. That was precisely what I expected. That was you trying to prove you aren't on the far right was it?

The word is "unspoofable".

• Options
    Mick_Pork said:

Cyclefree said:

Name and shame with quotes showing the glee McBore
  • Options
    Mick_Pork said:

isam said:

Mick_Pork said:

isam said:

isam said:

Bore off about Scotland

Thanks. That was precisely what I expected. That was you trying to prove you aren't on the far right was it?

The word is "unspoofable".

Not really. It was just what I think.

You've probably misread this as badly as you did the Farage in Scotland incident where you thought it was all over for ukip, but really turned out to be the biggest boost they'd had so far you non betting soothsayer you

Misreading here!

The word is "uninteresting"

• Options
    Mick_Pork said:

Cyclefree said:

I have and have contributed and the overall sentiment is of horror and sadness, which is what all decent people would feel.

• Options
    edited May 2013
    isam said:

where you thought it was all over for ukip

A lie. No more than I expect either.

You and your chums are doing a marvellously illuminating job BTW. Just not in the way you think.
  • Options
    Mick_Pork said:

isam said:

where you thought it was all over for ukip

A lie. No more than I expect either.

You and your chums are doing a marvellously illuminating job BTW. Just not in the way you think.
    Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

• Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 38,937
    The EDL doing exactly what the murdering scum want.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

OK, to be a bit controversial: I hate these machete wielding Muslim scum as much as the next person, and I hope they are slowly burned to death in prison, over a period of years.

But the fact is, their repulsive hatred is not without rationale. Israel behaves barbarically towards the Palestinians. The west invades Muslim countries willy-nilly. Iraq is still a bloody, horrible mess - tipping into a new civil war as we speak - a decade after we unilaterally decided to sort it out. The drones of the west decapitate Arab and Asian kids, daily, and there ain't no iPhone cameras there to record the horror.

So what do we do? Good Fences Make Good Neighbours. If the Islamic millions want to live in a bilious, backward, misogynist medieval hellscape, there ain't much we can do about it.

We should withdraw from Afghanistan, apologise for Iraq, make Israel cede a two state solution. But then we should then stop virtually all immigration from Muslim countries, cease any serious interaction, build a bloody big wall if necessary, and say: that's it: any more terrorism: BOOM.

This is now quite do-able, as we will soon no longer be reliant on Middle East oil.

A solution is in sight.

Of course! We should never have been in Iraq or Afghanistan anyway.

Left wing wars trying to play patronising mother to foreigners like they do immigrants here

• Options
    edited May 2013
    isam said:

Left wing wars

Is this some deliberate attempt to show you know as little about politics as possible?

Explain to us all how Bush and the Neoconservatives are "left wing" without making us laugh.
  • Options
    isam said:

SeanT said:

OK, to be a bit controversial: I hate these machete wielding Muslim scum as much as the next person, and I hope they are slowly burned to death in prison, over a period of years.

But the fact is, their repulsive hatred is not without rationale. Israel behaves barbarically towards the Palestinians. The west invades Muslim countries willy-nilly. Iraq is still a bloody, horrible mess - tipping into a new civil war as we speak - a decade after we unilaterally decided to sort it out. The drones of the west decapitate Arab and Asian kids, daily, and there ain't no iPhone cameras there to record the horror.

So what do we do? Good Fences Make Good Neighbours. If the Islamic millions want to live in a bilious, backward, misogynist medieval hellscape, there ain't much we can do about it.

We should withdraw from Afghanistan, apologise for Iraq, make Israel cede a two state solution. But then we should then stop virtually all immigration from Muslim countries, cease any serious interaction, build a bloody big wall if necessary, and say: that's it: any more terrorism: BOOM.

This is now quite do-able, as we will soon no longer be reliant on Middle East oil.

A solution is in sight.

Left wing wars trying to play patronising mother to foreigners like they do immigrants here

Fuck me you talk some shit sometimes.

• Options
    edited May 2013

isam said:

SeanT said:

A solution is in sight.

Right back atcha

But I alwáys get the better of you
  • Options
    According to the experts on Newsnight - Reid, Carlile, and the experienced muslim chap - "we" need to develop a counter-narrative to discourage young muslims** from this anti-British-way-of-life violent attacks. Apparently there's been a government unit for at least 7 years working on this ..... they've come up with what? .... nothing, I think.

How on earth can we develop a counter-narrative if we're so sensitive about "race" and "religion". Let me forecast there'll be 100 critical stories about UKIP candidates' lapses, with open comments in the media, to 1 critical story about a muslim, with no closed comments and there'll be 1000 jokes about UKIP on BBC comedy shows without one about any muslim. We're just too sensitive. We should be mocking these dire, humourless, bigots and dogmatists.

** Paxman reported that there were young muslims pleased by today's events .. I bet. I've certainly had one sitting in my lectures ...
  • Options
    isam said:

isam said:

SeanT said:

A solution is in sight.

Right back atcha

I can only assume you have been drinking. Left wing wars begun by that noted Marxist George W Bush.

• Options
    Mick_Pork said:

isam said:

Left wing wars

Is this some deliberate attempt to show you know as little about politics as possible?

Explain to us all how Bush and the Neoconservatives are "left wing" without making us laugh.
    Not at all

Left wingers think they can empathise with everyone and look after the world with their authoritarian dogma

Hence interference in a load of countries they don't understand causing aggro at home and abroad
  • Options
    SeanT said:

isam said:

SeanT said:

A solution is in sight.

"Romney is going to win. Don't ask me how I know, I just KNOW. I travel around America a lot, and I can *sense* what is happening, under the radar. And it's pretty remarkable. Romney will WIN.'

None of which negates the fact that George W Bush and the neocons are not left wing.

• Options

isam said:

isam said:

SeanT said:

A solution is in sight.

Right back atcha

I can only assume you have been drinking. Left wing wars begun by that noted Marxist George W Bush.

The Uk had a left wing govt at the time.

Save yourself the embarrassment and go to bed, I always win

• Options

isam said:

isam said:

SeanT said:

A solution is in sight.

Right back atcha

Heavily by the sound of things. Now he's babbling about empathising authoritarian left wingers. Bush was famous for his empathy and left wing views of course. The phrase "swivel eyed loon" comes to mind.
  • Options
    isam said:

isam said:

isam said:

SeanT said:

A solution is in sight.

Right back atcha

You are drunk. There can be no other explanation for the nonsense you are spouting. Quite why you are drunk on a night like this is a puzzle.

• Options
    Mick_Pork said:

isam said:

isam said:

SeanT said:

A solution is in sight.

Right back atcha

Heavily by the sound of things. Now he's babbling about empathising authoritarian left wingers. Bush was famous for his empathy and left wing views of course. The phrase "swivel eyed loon" comes to mind.
    The uk govt was left wing, I don't concern myself with America.
  • Options
    edited May 2013

SeanT said:

isam said:

SeanT said:

A solution is in sight.

"Romney is going to win. Don't ask me how I know, I just KNOW. I travel around America a lot, and I can *sense* what is happening, under the radar. And it's pretty remarkable. Romney will WIN.'

None of which negates the fact that George W Bush and the neocons are not left wing.
    Being so colossally gullible and stupid enough to support Bush and Blair's war would be far, far worse. I don't think you did but I know someone who did and it sure ain't me. :)
  • Options

isam said:

isam said:

isam said:

SeanT said:

A solution is in sight.

Right back atcha

You are drunk. There can be no other explanation for the nonsense you are spouting. Quite why you are drunk on a night like this is a puzzle.

If that is true you must be permanently drunk
  • Options
    Mick_Pork said:

isam said:

isam said:

SeanT said:

A solution is in sight.

Right back atcha

Sam will believe what he wants to believe. Bless him.

• Options
    edited May 2013
    isam said:

Mick_Pork said:

isam said:

isam said:

SeanT said:

A solution is in sight.

Right back atcha

This is a spoof right? You try to bring up Iraq and Afghanistan but don't want to concern yourself with America? This is truly embarrassing to watch. Try not to dig yourself any deeper.
  • Options

Mick_Pork said:

isam said:

isam said:

SeanT said:

A solution is in sight.

Right back atcha

Sam will believe what he wants to believe. Bless him.

Oh the bitterness.

Sorry that I always see you off, I'll let you win one soon
  • Options
    isam said:

isam said:

isam said:

isam said:

SeanT said:

A solution is in sight.

Right back atcha

If that is true you must be permanently drunk

The rapier unsheathed ...

And on that bombshell, to bed.

• Options
    Mick_Pork said:

isam said:

Mick_Pork said:

isam said:

isam said:

SeanT said:

A solution is in sight.

Right back atcha

This is a spoof right? You try to bring up Iraq and Afghanistan but don't want to concern yourself with America? This is truly embarrassing to watch. Try not to dig yourself any deeper.
    Like looking in a mirror for you regarding Farage and Scotland.

I don't think we should have gone to war in Iraq or Afghanistan because it was none of our business. Interfering nanny state politics is a left wing state of mind, thinking we know best when we don't understand what we are getting into.

Every 21st Century terrorist attack in Britain has been caused by this
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    isam said:

Mick_Pork said:

isam said:

Mick_Pork said:

isam said:

isam said:

SeanT said:

A solution is in sight.

Right back atcha

Interfering nanny state politics is a left wing state of mind, thinking we know best when we don't understand what we are getting into.

Every 21st Century terrorist attack in Britain has been caused by this
    Yep. I clearly gave you more than enough rope. I'll let everyone else ponder that lunacy and where Bush and the neoconservatives who started the Iraq war fit in with it.

Carry on babbling by all means. This is most amusing.

This discussion has been closed.