Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » NO now back above a 70% chance on Betfair’s IndyRef market

SystemSystem Posts: 11,689
edited September 2014 in General

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » NO now back above a 70% chance on Betfair’s IndyRef market

As can be expected the weekend polls have triggered off a lot of betting activity. The market we can monitor best is the Betfair exchange where the price of the last trade is being constantly updated.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    SocratesSocrates Posts: 10,322
    The polling is still the lead topic on BBC News, the organisation that claims they don't report polling results when UKIP are doing well.
  • Options
    Keep calm and carry on.
  • Options
    SocratesSocrates Posts: 10,322
    SeanT said:

Given that we are contemplating a political revolution, and the death of our country, we might as well have some fun and think up some possible bizarre consequences, which now come into play.

I was driving my daughter through the streets of FUK's capital, just now, and I had this idea.

Suppose I'm right and Cameron resigns (I am right, btw) following a YES.

What if the next guy is Hammond, an apparently pukka eurosceptic?

What is to stop Hammond forging an electoral pact with Farage? Nothing, as far as I can see. This new Coalition would presumably romp home in 2015 against a demoralised party led by Ed "couldn't even save Govan" Miliband, and lacking dozens of Labour MPs from Scotland, booted out by smirking Nats.

So we could see a very eurosceptic Tory-UKIP government in 2015, running FUK. And gunning for Scotland, and aiming to quit the EU.

We live in VERY interesting times.

The future for the British right is a CSU-CDU sort of situation. UKIP can stand in the working class seats and the Tories can stand in the posh seats. That would maximise their seats in parliament, if only the Matthew Parris element of the Tories weren't so idiotically snobbish about UKIP.
  • Options
    Socrates said:

The polling is still the lead topic on BBC News, the organisation that claims they don't report polling results when UKIP are doing well.

I think the BBC mentioned the first stonkingly good for UKIP Clacton poll, but I may have misremembered and it may have been on a relative backwater - such as the World at One - rather than the main news bulletins on TV.

Anyway, as we can see with the Cleggasm polls the reporting of good polls for any particular party is no guarantee of success for that party - there are far more important forces at work.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,029
    But to be fair to the BBC, on both their news website and on Radio2 amongst others they have also reported the Panelbase poll showing a No lead as well as yougov putting Yes in front
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,803
    edited September 2014
    FPT
    SeanT said:

sarissa said:

SeanT said:

SeanT said:

It all depends on this offer of Federalism. If it's done properly, and generously, then everyone gains - and Scotland will vote NO.

If it's hedged and cack handed then it will probably be YES.

There will not and can not be any change in the "No" offering, they've nailed their colours to the mast and argued their case for the past 3 years. To blink now and offer more would be fatal. It'd be an admission of impending defeat. They can't take a step back.

Their only chance it to stand firm and hope for the best.
    Er, Osborne has just been on The Telly saying there will be a new offering next week. Ditto Brown.

It probably won't work - but they are definitely cooking up something.
    What happened to the requirement to respect the official 'purdah' during the official campaign?

(Statutory for Scottish ministers and local bodies under the Scottish Referendum Act, matched by Cameron in the Edinburgh Agreement)
    Particularly after 10s if not 100s of thousands of postal voters have voted. What prospectus did they cast their votes upon?
    I imagine the FUK government will invite you to sue them, after the referendum. If you win the vote you'll have no chance in the courts, if you lose, HMG of FUK won't care.
    I don't suppose they would give a fUK either way.

http://wingsoverscotland.com/all-over-the-place/#more-61368 has more detail on the purdah issue - including the relevant texts. In particular, he notes that the No campaign were very keen to use the purdah argument as a justification for not having a second replay of the Salmond vs Darling debate, and how shocking it would be to have the debate after postal voting has begun, etc. etc.
  • Options
    Socrates said:

SeanT said:

Given that we are contemplating a political revolution, and the death of our country, we might as well have some fun and think up some possible bizarre consequences, which now come into play.

I was driving my daughter through the streets of FUK's capital, just now, and I had this idea.

What is to stop Hammond forging an electoral pact with Farage? Nothing, as far as I can see. This new Coalition would presumably romp home in 2015 against a demoralised party led by Ed "couldn't even save Govan" Miliband, and lacking dozens of Labour MPs from Scotland, booted out by smirking Nats.

So we could see a very eurosceptic Tory-UKIP government in 2015, running FUK. And gunning for Scotland, and aiming to quit the EU.

The future for the British right is a CSU-CDU sort of situation. UKIP can stand in the working class seats and the Tories can stand in the posh seats. That would maximise their seats in parliament, if only the Matthew Parris element of the Tories weren't so idiotically snobbish about UKIP.
    Psychologically I think it would be very hard for the Tory leadership to form a pact with UKIP before UKIP have bloodied Tory noses in a general election.

If they can hold UKIP to only a couple of seats then they may hope that UKIP are a fad which will burn out.

One has to remember the distinction between what is good for the right in general and what the individuals at the top of the Conservative party think is good for their party.
  • Options
    FUK

Federal UK

I like!

Imagine the T-shirt opportunities for tourists.
  • Options
    Patrick said:

FUK

Federal UK

I like!

Usually "former UK", as an alternative to "rUK" or rump UK - though there would be no other Kingdom for England to unite with.
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

Patrick said:

FUK

Federal UK

I like!

Usually "former UK", as an alternative to "rUK" or rump UK - though there would be no other Kingdom for England to unite with.
    Would it not be "The United Kingdom of England and Northern Ireland" ?
  • Options
    Socrates said:

SeanT said:

I thought the CSU was just Bavaria. That's much easier to manage than a class divide.
  • Options
    A vision of 2020: Conservatives and UKIP both gain a larger vote share than Labour, but Labour wins most seats, and Ed stays in No. 10...
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

Patrick said:

FUK

Federal UK

I like!

When the Flemish secede rUK can unite with the kingdom of rBelgium.
  • Options

Carnyx said:

Patrick said:

FUK

Federal UK

I like!

Not if NI jumps ship and joins up with Scotland...
  • Options

Carnyx said:

Patrick said:

FUK

Federal UK

I like!

Because NI is a province? Well, yes, the UK could still call itself that in a different sense of the word united. But that's a little bit like orange flavour drink ...

• Options
    Socrates said:

SeanT said:

An alliance with the Tories would severely limit UKIP's ability to win working class seats.

• Options
    MontyMonty Posts: 346
    I really hope the Scots vote to stay with us. Apart from anything else half my family are Scottish including my father, and my brother was born there too. My father has been living in England for the last 35 years and it will break his heart if Scotland leaves the UK. He is also genuinely worried what will happen with his future ability to use the NHS if he in effect, becomes a foreign citizen. It is all so uncertain.

I am angry with lots of people concerned with all of this. Firstly, we wouldn't likely be in this mess if the Tories hadn't treated Scotland as some sort of crash-test dummy centre on the Poll Tax thus wiping out any remaining Scottish support for them in the process. That's led to a very divided country in the first place. Secondly I'm angry with the refusal to allow a Devo-Max option. A lot of sensible Scots who justifiably feel excluded from the current situation may well have voted for that instead of independence. That's got to be down to Cameron and co. Cameron is showing what an utterly hopeless politician he is in all of this. And I don't mean that in a party political sense either. To have allowed this to happen on his watch is unforgiveable and if he has any honour he will go. I'm also angry with Labour in fighting such a poor fight and not waking up to the danger too late. Campaign in haste, repent at leisure.

And I'm angry with the SNP for whipping up hate and animosity. There seems to be an immense amount of anti-English feeling and I wouldn't want to visit any time soon which makes me very sad.

I'm still hopeful that the Scots will vote no and we can work together to build a better country for all of us. The FPTP voting system hasn't helped and that must go and a more federal version of government would be most welcome across the board.

But I must also say this. Whilst I fervently hope Scotland stays, if it does go I want the remainder of the UK to play hard-ball in negotiations. No currency union and they must take their share of the debt. And I say that as a card-carrying lefty. If they make their bed they must lie in it, even if that means we suffer in the short term too. We must look after our own interests in the long term.

A yes vote will mean more hatred and division among our nations which can't be a good thing, and will rip my family into two countries.

What a terrible shame.
  • Options
    The rUK government could employ a brand consultant to come up with a new name - best to avoid the folks who came up with Consignia though.
  • Options
    Monty said:

I really hope the Scots vote to stay with us. Apart from anything else half my family are Scottish including my father, and my brother was born there too. My father has been living in England for the last 35 years and it will break his heart if Scotland leaves the UK. He is also genuinely worried what will happen with his future ability to use the NHS if he in effect, becomes a foreign citizen. It is all so uncertain.

I am angry with lots of people concerned with all of this. Firstly, we wouldn't likely be in this mess if the Tories hadn't treated Scotland as some sort of crash-test dummy centre on the Poll Tax thus wiping out any remaining Scottish support for them in the process. That's led to a very divided country in the first place. Secondly I'm angry with the refusal to allow a Devo-Max option. A lot of sensible Scots who justifiably feel excluded from the current situation may well have voted for that instead of independence. That's got to be down to Cameron and co. Cameron is showing what an utterly hopeless politician he is in all of this. And I don't mean that in a party political sense either. To have allowed this to happen on his watch is unforgiveable and if he has any honour he will go. I'm also angry with Labour in fighting such a poor fight and not waking up to the danger too late. Campaign in haste, repent at leisure.

And I'm angry with the SNP for whipping up hate and animosity. There seems to be an immense amount of anti-English feeling and I wouldn't want to visit any time soon which makes me very sad.

I'm still hopeful that the Scots will vote no and we can work together to build a better country for all of us. The FPTP voting system hasn't helped and that must go and a more federal version of government would be most welcome across the board.

But I must also say this. Whilst I fervently hope Scotland stays, if it does go I want the remainder of the UK to play hard-ball in negotiations. No currency union and they must take their share of the debt. And I say that as a card-carrying lefty. If they make their bed they must lie in it, even if that means we suffer in the short term too. We must look after our own interests in the long term.

A yes vote will mean more hatred and division among our nations which can't be a good thing, and will rip my family into two countries.

What a terrible shame.

Monty - you shouldn't believe the media. It's not about the English. There are lots of them in the Yes campaign. It's about the Westminster parties and their governance.

• Options
    ItajaiItajai Posts: 721
    Does voting YES mean the Scots have decided that REd can't win? We are, after all, told that one of the main movers behind YES is Tory rule.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

Patrick said:

FUK

Federal UK

I like!

Because NI is a province? Well, yes, the UK could still call itself that in a different sense of the word united. But that's a little bit like orange flavour drink ...

Er, we can call ourselves what the FUK we like. I imagine it will be the United Kingdom of England Wales and Northern Ireland. One Kingdom, united. How hard is that?

Likewise the flag. Post-YES I am sure we will keep the Union Jack, cause everyone likes it and it is globally cool.

I am slightly bemused why this should be of any interest to foreigners, which is what you will be if you get your wish. Butt out.

Clearly no need to change the Union Jack. There are millions of people of Scottish and Irish ancestry living in the rUK. As you say, the idea that a foreign country gets any input at all into our name and our flag is absurd.

• Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    edited September 2014
    Our new name should be Even Greater Britain now that we've shed some of the ballast.

• Options
    The Queen ought to be more concerned over the prospect of the Republic of Quebec, rather than the Kingdom of Scotland. Although, Canada without Quebec is much less likely to become a republic, so not all bad news for the Windsors.
  • Options
    SmarmeronSmarmeron Posts: 5,099
    @Itajai
    It means some don't want to take the risk of being lumbered with a neo-liberal government, which forgets what "governing" is all about.
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633

SeanT said:

Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

Patrick said:

FUK

Federal UK

I like!

Er, we can call ourselves what the FUK we like. I imagine it will be the United Kingdom of England Wales and Northern Ireland. One Kingdom, united. How hard is that?

Likewise the flag. Post-YES I am sure we will keep the Union Jack, cause everyone likes it and it is globally cool.

I am slightly bemused why this should be of any interest to foreigners, which is what you will be if you get your wish. Butt out.

Clearly no need to change the Union Jack. There are millions of people of Scottish and Irish ancestry living in the rUK. As you say, the idea that a foreign country gets any input at all into our name and our flag is absurd.

Definitely keep the UJ as is now.
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    TGOHF said:

Our new name should be Even Greater Britain now that we've shed some of the ballast.

I quite like DUK: the disunited kingdom.

Though in reality I think that it would lead to an independent England, via an English parliament in the short term.
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

SeanT said:

Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

Patrick said:

FUK

Federal UK

I like!

We could adopt a blue flag, with a circle of stars on it. That would be popular, I'm sure.
  • Options
    Do these private polls need publishing now?

Rupert Murdoch ‏@rupertmurdoch·2 mins
    Salmond's private polls predict 54-46 Yes. Desperate last ten days ahead for both sides. Most powerful media, BBC, totally biased for No.
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548

TGOHF said:

SeanT said:

Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

Patrick said:

FUK

Federal UK

I like!

We could adopt a blue flag, with a circle of stars on it. That would be popular, I'm sure.
    A most excellent idea! And one that keeps union with Scotland!
  • Options
    YorkcityYorkcity Posts: 4,382
    Surely the voters who voted SNP in 2011, but were really not supporters of Independence
    have a lot to think about how they cast their vote.
    As they gave Salmond the opportunity to mesmerise Cameron into not having devo max
    on the ballot.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

Socrates said:

SeanT said:

An alliance with the Tories would severely limit UKIP's ability to win working class seats.

Rubbish. Thatcher got loads of working class votes, Tories do surprisingly well in some English WWC areas. But Cameron has alienated them, by being a posh twat, so now Farage can have them (and the previously never voted types) while the Tories take the rest of rural England and the suburbs.

Without Scotland, a Tory-UKIP Coalition could dominate the FUK's government for a generation. Unless Labour shifted right.

Cameron did not alienate working class Tories, that happened back in the 90s. What makes UKIP an option is that they are not the Tories. In any case, the idea that the UKIP vote is mainly working class is slightly silly. In many places, it is very old style middle class. Labour will certainly move rightwards, though it will take some time as London will become the unopposed Labour powerbase and London Labour dresses to the left.
  • Options
    Monty Agree

Sandy Rentool If both the Tories and UKIP have a higher vote share than Labour it would be impossible for Labour to have more seats, for starters as they would start to lose significant numbers of working class seats to UKIP.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

Patrick said:

FUK

Federal UK

I like!

The flag itself is of only academic interest, and I agree entirely with you as regards that bit of vexillology. But it also symbolizes the claim of EWNI to be the continuing UK.

In the event of a Yes, that claim is central to the next two years.

This paper by Anthony Carty and Mairianna Clyde is currently available free as a pdf. It's a very interesting review of that very claim - and their contrary conclusion, based on the argument that the UK is not a unitary but composite state. It's well worth a read by those interested, as I have mentioned before - but it may have a new importance.

http://lril.oxfordjournals.org/content/early/2014/08/12/lril.lru007.full.pdf

• Options

Salmond's private polls predict 54-46 Yes. Desperate last ten days ahead for both sides. Most powerful media, BBC, totally biased for No.

Rupert may not realise this yet, but Alex has something of a track record for fibbing. Still, it's nice to see them getting along so well.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,320
    Strong turnout today. Pretty much a record. The polling is indeed a wake up call for BT and people are responding.

Very rough area today with multi stories that have more visits from the police than any other public sector workers. Surprisingly it was very even with a bit of a generational split, oldies voting (or voted in many cases) No and the younger ones voting Yes. Really, given the area, quite encouraging.
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

SeanT said:

Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

Patrick said:

FUK

Federal UK

I like!

The flag itself is of only academic interest, and I agree entirely with you as regards that bit of vexillology. But it also symbolizes the claim of EWNI to be the continuing UK.

In the event of a Yes, that claim is central to the next two years.

This paper by Anthony Carty and Mairianna Clyde is currently available free as a pdf. It's a very interesting review of that very claim - and their contrary conclusion, based on the argument that the UK is not a unitary but composite state. It's well worth a read by those interested, as I have mentioned before - but it may have a new importance.

http://lril.oxfordjournals.org/content/early/2014/08/12/lril.lru007.full.pdf

That's all very nice, but in the real world it makes absolutely no difference. The rUK is the successor state and there really is nothing that iScotland can do about it. But it will certainly keep academics happy for many a long year.

• Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,933

SeanT said:

Socrates said:

SeanT said:

Rubbish. Thatcher got loads of working class votes, Tories do surprisingly well in some English WWC areas. But Cameron has alienated them, by being a posh twat, so now Farage can have them (and the previously never voted types) while the Tories take the rest of rural England and the suburbs.

Without Scotland, a Tory-UKIP Coalition could dominate the FUK's government for a generation. Unless Labour shifted right.

Cameron did not alienate working class Tories, that happened back in the 90s. What makes UKIP an option is that they are not the Tories. In any case, the idea that the UKIP vote is mainly working class is slightly silly. In many places, it is very old style middle class. Labour will certainly move rightwards, though it will take some time as London will become the unopposed Labour powerbase and London Labour dresses to the left.
    UKIPs support is pretty evenly distributed through all classes if I remember the polling correctly
  • Options
    tessyCtessyC Posts: 106
    I still maintain we can call ourselves the United Kingdom of Britain and Northern Ireland. Taking Britain from the Roman province of Britannia. Also I still want to be a British citizen, the Scots leaving should not change that.
  • Options
    ItajaiItajai Posts: 721

UKIPs support is pretty evenly distributed through all classes if I remember the polling correctly

But that does not fit the narrative, Far better to say that UKIP support comes from the poor and those "left behind" (read uneducated).

Total boolox of course.
  • Options
    DavidL Encouraging

SO/Scrapheap As opposed to Murdoch doing everything in his power to rip up UK and have Salmond in power at one end and Farage on another
  • Options
    perdixperdix Posts: 1,806
    SeanT said:

Socrates said:

SeanT said:

"Cameron alienated them by being a posh twat". I don't think this is true, but if it is it shows a stupid attitude to life.

• Options
    How will the nationality in practice work.

Will Scottish persons working and living in England, and the reverse, have to eventually decide which passport to apply for, either a Scottish one or rUK one ?
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Monty Agree

Sandy Rentool If both the Tories and UKIP have a higher vote share than Labour it would be impossible for Labour to have more seats, for starters as they would start to lose significant numbers of working class seats to UKIP.

OK, just put C 30%, Lab 28%, UKIP 29% into Electoral Calculus - gives Con 272, Lab 294, UKIP 53.
  • Options
    FF42FF42 Posts: 114
    Monty said:

... half my family are Scottish including my father, and my brother was born there too. My father has been living in England for the last 35 years and it will break his heart if Scotland leaves the UK. He is also genuinely worried what will happen with his future ability to use the NHS if he in effect, becomes a foreign citizen. It is all so uncertain. ...

One of Mr Cameron's big mistakes was failing to ensure a vote for your father and other Scottish born residents of the UK. That was so wrong.
  • Options
    YBarddCwscYBarddCwsc Posts: 7,172
    Surely someone else whose reputation takes another huge knock is Tony Blair.

Blair replaced a constitutional settlement that have lasted almost 300 years with one that doesn't look as though it will last 20.

Whether Yes or No win, Blair's settlement will be torn up.
  • Options
    TheWatcherTheWatcher Posts: 5,262
    edited September 2014
    Carnyx said:

Monty said:

What a terrible shame.

Monty - you shouldn't believe the media. It's not about the English.

It's very much about a dislike of the English; this latest 'Anti Westminster' line that some are peddling, is simply laughable.

It looks like desperate back peddling, as the realisation that such enmities will sour negotiations, sinks into thick skulls.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Strong turnout today. Pretty much a record. The polling is indeed a wake up call for BT and people are responding.

Very rough area today with multi stories that have more visits from the police than any other public sector workers. Surprisingly it was very even with a bit of a generational split, oldies voting (or voted in many cases) No and the younger ones voting Yes. Really, given the area, quite encouraging.

Good news DavidL. You're doing fantastic work.
  • Options

Rupert may not realise this yet, but Alex has something of a track record for fibbing. Still, it's nice to see them getting along so well.
    I can't stand Rupert Murdoch, and I say that as a Rightie. A thoroughly odious individual who seems to think he has a born right to use his media empire to access power at the very highest levels. If he doesn't get what he wants, he pursues a strategy of revenge - served very, very cold indeed.

Farage should (politely) tell him where to go. If he gets into bed with Murdoch, there's nothing that'll faster turn me off UKIP.
  • Options
    QuincelQuincel Posts: 3,949
    "UKIPs support is pretty evenly distributed through all classes if I remember the polling correctly"

Are you sure? I just checked the last YouGov (picked it at random as the easiest polling tables to find), it had UKIP on 15%. But amongst 'ABC1' it was 11%, and 20% amongst 'C2DE'. That ratio, of almost 2:1, is much sharper than that for Labour (1:1 exactly in this poll) or the Tories (about 10:9) - though actually slightly smaller than the LDs (2.25:1).

You might be right, my research is at most 2 minutes on this, but I'd be surprised. For starters, why do UKIP do so much better in places like Essex seaside towns than leafy urban hubs if their support isn't split by class? And so much poorer amongst graduates?

Maybe I'll be surprised, I'm not ruling that out. But what polling makes you say the support is pretty evenly distributed?
  • Options
    SeanT said:

Yorkcity said:

How will the nationality in practice work.

Will Scottish persons working and living in England, and the reverse, have to eventually decide which passport to apply for, either a Scottish one or rUK one ?

Good question: especially if the FUK quits the EU or achieves an end to free movement within the EU. In that case, Scots won't be able to move to England any more than Brazilians, Chinese or Americans.

Another thing: the border will already be in place, in theory, the moment Scots vote YES. Entering the EU means joining Schengen. It is very unlikely iScotland will be allowed an opt-out (countries like Spain will be keen to make things as hard as poss for them, to discourage Catalunya).

As the FUK will remain outside Schengen, passports will shortly have to be shown at the Berwick border-check, just as they are when you take the car to Calais. It really isn't a figment of unionist imagination.
    If eventually the two separate countries have different Immigration, tax and duties on goods policies.I think you will be correct.

Hope we do not end up like the border to Gibraltar.

• Options
    welshowlwelshowl Posts: 4,460

Socrates said:

SeanT said:

I thought the CSU was just Bavaria. That's much easier to manage than a class divide.
    It is.
  • Options
    SandyRentool Ie Tory/UKIP Coalition, and anyway those predictors are redundant after a certain level of UKIP support when seats would start to fall more quickly
  • Options
    Quincel said:

"UKIPs support is pretty evenly distributed through all classes if I remember the polling correctly"

Are you sure? I just checked the last YouGov (picked it at random as the easiest polling tables to find), it had UKIP on 15%. But amongst 'ABC1' it was 11%, and 20% amongst 'C2DE'. That ratio, of almost 2:1, is much sharper than that for Labour (1:1 exactly in this poll) or the Tories (about 10:9) - though actually slightly smaller than the LDs (2.25:1).

You might be right, my research is at most 2 minutes on this, but I'd be surprised. For starters, why do UKIP do so much better in places like Essex seaside towns than leafy urban hubs if their support isn't split by class? And so much poorer amongst graduates?

Maybe I'll be surprised, I'm not ruling that out. But what polling makes you say the support is pretty evenly distributed?

Here's some more polling vs Kipper anecdotes

But one of the striking things about UKIP is its appeal to older, working class former Tories, especially those who left school at 15 or 16 and earn less than £20,000 a year.

http://yougov.co.uk/news/2014/02/24/where-ukip-gets-its-support/

Two thirds of the UKIP vote is made up of men, more so than for any of the three main parties. Their support is also mostly from those aged 55+; their reliance on the so-called “grey vote” is greater than even the Conservatives and of course older people are the most likely group to actually vote so their support is important

http://www.ipsos-mori.com/newsevents/blogs/thepoliticswire/1334/UKIP-voters-who-are-they.aspx

“Ukip’s supporters look more like Old Labour than True Blue Tories. Ukip’s supporters tend to be blue-collar, older, struggling economically, and often live in poorer, urban areas, with big pools of support in the Labour heartlands of the North. Middle-class suburbanites do not dominate Ukip. They shy away from it.

“In fact, Ukip are Britain’s most working-class party. Blue-collar workers are heavily over-represented. Middle-class professionals are scarce. Such voters often express as much hostility to the Conservative party as they do to Labour.”

http://www.conservativehome.com/the-deep-end/2014/02/the-surprising-and-important-truth-about-ukip.html

• Options
    geoffwgeoffw Posts: 8,171
    edited September 2014
    Sterling may get knocked about in the short term, starting tomorrow perhaps. But a Scottish exit from UK, keeping the Pound but losing the Bank of England could have a positive effect on the underlying value of the pound, which is determined by the supply and demand for sterling. The demand for sterling remains as before, including Scotland, but the supply will have fallen as it no longer includes sterling balances in Scottish banks. That should push the exchange rate up, ceteris paribus.

By the way, I blame EdM's recent cloth-eared intervention in the debate, which he treated as a party political matter, for the Yes surge. It looks like don't knows and weak labour supporters saying no thanks to his idea that they can avoid "Tory rule from Westminster" by voting No on 18th September and then voting for Labour next May.

• Options
    MikeKMikeK Posts: 9,053

HYUFD said:

Monty Agree

OK, just put C 30%, Lab 28%, UKIP 29% into Electoral Calculus - gives Con 272, Lab 294, UKIP 53.
    Grow up Rentool the Electoral Calculus is broken, kaput and no longer any use.
  • Options
    JamesMJamesM Posts: 221
    Thanks for the update @DavidL. As a couple of other posters have noted you are doing superb work. As a proud Englishman and Brit, I am genuinely grateful for the work of all those working and campaigning for a 'No' vote and to keep our country together.
  • Options
    tessyCtessyC Posts: 106
    What happens to our overseas territories in result of independence, save I believe Bermuda and Gibraltar, we collected them as a Union. I doubt Scotland would wish to lay claim to any of them, but will they be treated as assets?
  • Options
    Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 55,403
    edited September 2014

SeanT said:

Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

Patrick said:

FUK

Federal UK

I like!

I agree Scotland wouldn't get any "input" into it, but I disagree that it'd still be relevant.

The Union Flag is fundamentally about the union between Scotland and England. That's what the whole basis of the flag is made up from: the St. George's and St. Patrick's crosses.

If Scotland leaves the UK, then that Union (and, strictly speaking, the UK) ceases to exist and the flag becomes totally and utterly irrelevant.

Of course, we could continue to use it - as a design/fashion brand, or whatever SeanT says below - and I'd fly it until my dying day. But I'm under no illusions: it would be ludicrous as a national flag, and open to ridicule. People would point and laugh. That's what makes it so desperately sad.

The only context in which it could (legitimately) continue to be used is the Royal King's/Queen's colours as the crowns would still be united (aka 1606 to 1707) but as a national flag it'd be obsolete. Like the Confederate flags you still see flying in parts of Alabama and Georgia today.

I suspect what we'd actually see is a huge swell in support for the St. George's flag, which is extremely boring but at least would have the merit of being valid.
  • Options
    JamesM said:

Thanks for the update @DavidL. As a couple of other posters have noted you are doing superb work. As a proud Englishman and Brit, I am genuinely grateful for the work of all those working and campaigning for a 'No' vote and to keep our country together.

Seconded. Brilliant work.

• Options
    So, the dissolution of one of the most successful, 300 year old unions comes down to a couple of second rate politicians shouting at each other across a platform. I think I would rather they fought it out as they did in the olden days - in the lists!
  • Options
    @Watcher

"It's very much about a dislike of the English; this latest 'Anti Westminster' line that some are peddling, is simply laughable."

Somewhat reluctantly I'm inclined to agree.

There is little economic justification for Independence. If anything the economic advantages lie the other way. It has to be fuelled by something else then, and anti-Englishness seems the obvious significant driving force.

I find this rather sad. I like Scotland, and the Scots, and am disappointed to discover that enough of them feel hostile enough towards England and the English to consider the risks and likely economic disadvantages of separation worthwhile.

But if that's the way they feel....
  • Options
    tessyC said:

I still maintain we can call ourselves the United Kingdom of Britain and Northern Ireland. Taking Britain from the Roman province of Britannia. Also I still want to be a British citizen, the Scots leaving should not change that.

I) we can call ourselves what we like (how many "Democratic People's republics were nothing of the sort?)

Ii) Great Britain is a geographical term and refers to the largest British Isle, and as rUK will retain more than two thirds of it, who's to stop us using the name (see I)
  • Options
    glwglw Posts: 9,549
    geoffw said:

By the way, I blame EdM's recent cloth-eared intervention in the debate, which he treated as a party political matter, for the Yes surge. It looks like don't knows and weak labour supporters saying no thanks to his idea that they can avoid "Tory rule from Westminster" by voting No on 18th September and then voting for Labour next May.

Ed telling the Scots that he will likely be the next PM is perhaps not the vote winner that he imagines it is.
  • Options
    We would still be Great Britain after the separation. Great Britain just means bigger than Brittany doesn't it? No title change. Just take the Saltire out of the Union flag.
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    Quincel said:

I can't remember what polling it was, I saw it on here... There were four groups of class and ukip were around 25 on all of them... It's not an anecdote @tse!!!

At the time I think I said it showed ukip appealed to the working class and someone picked me up I it... Now people are arguing my original point for me haha
  • Options
    glw said:

geoffw said:

Ed telling the Scots that he will likely be the next PM is perhaps not the vote winner that he imagines it is.
    We should perhaps be grateful he didn't order a haggis supper and eat it for the cameras.
  • Options
    OK, so the Kipper seat figure is garbage - doesn't stop Labour being the largest party though.
  • Options
    tessyC said:

What happens to our overseas territories in result of independence, save I believe Bermuda and Gibraltar, we collected them as a Union. I doubt Scotland would wish to lay claim to any of them, but will they be treated as assets?

I have no idea.
    However earlier in the year , I remember the SNP were asked how much it would cost to create new embassies etc in each country.
    So to offset these cost, I imagine they might.
  • Options
    On topic.

The next YouGov Indyref poll is for Friday's Times.

Be worth watching Rupert Murdoch's twitter feed on Thursday afternoon
  • Options
    SandyRentool Fat lot of use to them when the government is a Tory/UKIP Coalition
  • Options

SeanT said:

Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

Patrick said:

FUK

Federal UK

I like!

But I'm under no illusions: it would be ludicrous as a national flag, and open to ridicule. People would point and laugh. That's what makes it so desperately sad.
    No they wouldn't. They'd say "Oh that's the country that has the cool flag.

I am in South East Asia - the Union Jack is a major fashion icon - yet few people know which country it is from - it's associated with young people and hipness - we'd be bonkers to change it.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

SandyRentool Fat lot of use to them when the government is a Tory/UKIP Coalition

Ed would have first crack as sitting PM and leader of the largest party. Lab-Kip coalition?
  • Options
    isam said:

Quincel said:

I can't remember what polling it was, I saw it on here... There were four groups of class and ukip were around 25 on all of them... It's not an anecdote @tse!!!

At the time I think I said it showed ukip appealed to the working class and someone picked me up I it... Now people are arguing my original point for me haha
    You were then arguing UKIP was the party of the working class, we pointed out that just because a majority of UKIP's support comes from the working classes that doesn't mean UKIP has the majority of the working class vote.
  • Options

SeanT said:

Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

Patrick said:

FUK

Federal UK

I like!

But I'm under no illusions: it would be ludicrous as a national flag, and open to ridicule. People would point and laugh. That's what makes it so desperately sad.

I am in South East Asia - the Union Jack is a major fashion icon - yet few people know which country it is from - it's associated with young people and hipness - we'd be bonkers to change it.
    If people don't associate it with this country, how is it doing us any good?
  • Options
    isam said:

Quincel said:

Ha, it's a funny old world indeed! I might dig around for that polling, I'd have to revise quite a lot of my view of UKIP if it is true. But that's good for betting and 'the right thing to do' intellectually anyways.

UKIP on 25% with all. Wonder if it was a Euro poll? Good a place as any to start looking...
  • Options

@Watcher

"It's very much about a dislike of the English; this latest 'Anti Westminster' line that some are peddling, is simply laughable."

There is little economic justification for Independence. If anything the economic advantages lie the other way. It has to be fuelled by something else then, and anti-Englishness seems the obvious significant driving force.

I find this rather sad. I like Scotland, and the Scots, and am disappointed to discover that enough of them feel hostile enough towards England and the English to consider the risks and likely economic disadvantages of separation worthwhile.

It's all very sad, even tragic. It's like the wanton destruction of a magnificent work of art.

• Options
    tessyC said:

Absolutely nothing.

For example - the Channel Islands' relationship is with the Crown - not the UK - so no impact (apart from fleeing wealthy Scots driving up some house prices).

Other territories with relationships to the UK will continue to have relationships with rUK - the successor state.
  • Options
    glwglw Posts: 9,549

HYUFD said:

Ed would have first crack as sitting PM and leader of the largest party. Lab-Kip coalition?
    Great idea, then we can retire "like ferrets in a sack".
  • Options
    edited September 2014

isam said:

Quincel said:

You were then arguing UKIP was the party of the working class, we pointed out that just because a majority of UKIP's support comes from the working classes that doesn't mean UKIP has the majority of the working class vote.
    The royal we?

Thanks so much for the enlightenment

Moeen Ali booed by the Indian supporters again today... The female commentator on r5 said it saddened her... Ravi bopara not booed
  • Options

@Watcher

It's all very sad, even tragic. It's like the wanton destruction of a magnificent work of art.

I still can't quite believe that they are going to do it. If they do I will genuinely grieve. It makes me so so sad.
  • Options
    Scotland plays an away football match against Germany this evening.

If only they were independent, how much better would they play?
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,758
    Monty said:

@Watcher

I still can't quite believe that they are going to do it. If they do I will genuinely grieve. It makes me so so sad.
    crocodile tears.
  • Options
    Quincel said:

isam said:

Quincel said:

Ha, it's a funny old world indeed! I might dig around for that polling, I'd have to revise quite a lot of my view of UKIP if it is true. But that's good for betting and 'the right thing to do' intellectually anyways.

UKIP on 25% with all. Wonder if it was a Euro poll? Good a place as any to start looking...
    It was the breakdown of the ukip vote, so not ukip on25% if you get my meaning?
  • Options
    Sack up some of you PB unionists.

It is just one poll and not even an ICM poll.

We survived the fall of Singapore.
  • Options
    edited September 2014

If they do go, I wonder if we could end up with a British football team rather than the current (rather anachronous) situation of home nations?

Be good to get Gareth Bale on the left.

It's about the only silver lining I can think of. Pffft.
  • Options

I've backed Scotland to win tonight.

Just remember Scotland if you're seven nil down tonight "It's just like watching Brazil"
  • Options

Quite so Mr Eagles, been away for the weekend and it's like a funeral.

10 ish days to go and then the drivel stops.
  • Options
    isam said:

Quincel said:

isam said:

Quincel said:

It was the breakdown of the ukip vote, so not ukip on25% if you get my meaning?
    Ah, OK. Many thanks.
  • Options

Carnyx said:

Patrick said:

FUK

Federal UK

I like!

When the Flemish secede rUK can unite with the kingdom of rBelgium.
    That's the wrong way round. When the Flemings secede they can join rUK, the Walloons and the Scots would get on very well together. The Queen can add Count of Flanders and Duke of Brabant to her titles.

• Options
    @York City

Many years ago I had an entertaining late nite discussion on PB on the subject of what an Independent Scotland's tax position would be in respect of International Double Tax Treaties. I worked in a related area at the time and thought I knew a thing or two about it, but quickly discovered that the other two posters I was debating with knew a lot more. One was a law Professor at Oxford, the other a journalist at the FT. (NB - Be very careful who you get into an argument with on PB!)

We reached no definite conclusions but felt that in practice it would come down to the various views and common-sense of the participating Countries. In many cases it was likely that the Other Country would treat the newly formed Country, Scotland, as if it were privy to the existing UK Tax Treaty and things would carry on much as before. The danger however is that some Other Countries which were unhappy with the terms of their Treaty might treat it as an opportunity to renegotiate from scratch.

The UK has more Tax Treaties than any other country in the world. Many were framed when the UK was much more dominant in world affairs than it is now, and are a bit one-sided as a result. There could therefore be quite a number of Other Countries which would choose to take advantage of the new situation.

Similar considerations would apply, I should imagine, to Trade and other non-tax Treaties, but that's not my field and never has been.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

SeanT said:

Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

Patrick said:

FUK

Federal UK

I like!

I agree Scotland wouldn't get any "input" into it, but I disagree that it'd still be relevant.

So the flag will stay and you (and I) will feel a pang of sadness sometimes, when we look at it, but most people won't begin to understand. Or care. it will still be that cool flag from that funny, mercurial little island in the fog.
    And still in daily use in some form around the world

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Union_Jack#Use_in_other_flags

So we'd be the only ones to change it?

Bonkers cubed to the nth degree...
  • Options

Monty said:

@Watcher

crocodile tears.
    For you maybe, but I love this country and I love Scotland being part of it.
  • Options
    Sandy Rentool I think Miliband would rather do a deal with Cameron than Farage
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,125
    It looks as though the result will be close - Yes or No getting no more than 55%. A very sizeable chunk of the population seriously pissed off.

Governing Scotland is going to be challenging, whatever the outcome. Although if it is a narrow Yes, I expect the capital flight to be immediate and dramatic. Followed shortly after that by news of jobs heading off.

Salmond with have a very short period basking in the glory - followed by months locked inside the McCOBRA room....

If it is a very close No, I guess the "One Last Heave" movement will be agitating for another vote next year. More betting opportunities. Yay!
  • Options

@Watcher

I am the same Peter , I really like Scotland and the Scots , but as you say if that`s the way they feel.

If no wins but only just, this will continue and there will be no long term settlement.
    If yes wins but only just, the massive change goes ahead and will be irreversible.

However if they vote yes, they will have to live with any economic disadvantages, as for some, this will be a price worth paying to gain their life long desire for Independence.
    For many it will come as a shock, the repercussions, once you start to break the state asunder.

• Options

@York City

Many years ago I had an entertaining late nite discussion on PB on the subject of what an Independent Scotland's tax position would be in respect of International Double Tax Treaties. I worked in a related area at the time and thought I knew a thing or two about it, but quickly discovered that the other two posters I was debating with knew a lot more. One was a law Professor at Oxford, the other a journalist at the FT. (NB - Be very careful who you get into an argument with on PB!)

We reached no definite conclusions but felt that in practice it would come down to the various views and common-sense of the participating Countries. In many cases it was likely that the Other Country would treat the newly formed Country, Scotland, as if it were privy to the existing UK Tax Treaty and things would carry on much as before. The danger however is that some Other Countries which were unhappy with the terms of their Treaty might treat it as an opportunity to renegotiate from scratch.

The UK has more Tax Treaties than any other country in the world. Many were framed when the UK was much more dominant in world affairs than it is now, and are a bit one-sided as a result. There could therefore be quite a number of Other Countries which would choose to take advantage of the new situation.

Similar considerations would apply, I should imagine, to Trade and other non-tax Treaties, but that's not my field and never has been.

The whole trade situation is a minefield, the Nats are trading on the young and gullible to get them over the line, however there's a fair amount of crap that will fall off if it's a yes and Scotland will be taking the larger share of it. Salmond has written too many cheques he can't cash in this campaign.
  • Options

SeanT said:

Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

Patrick said:

FUK

Federal UK

I like!

Yes, indeed. As I said, we're just left with a fashion icon.

To me, the Union Flag represents one of the greatest and most enlightened nations in history. An island whose people's overcame their differences to forge a political union and went on to build the modern world. A benign nation that, even today, much of the world still looks up to for inspiration as a mother of liberty and defender of freedom.

And yet all we might be left with is snazzy variations of an obsolete design stamped on t-shirts - that young Koreans in Seoul think is "hip", but have no idea what it means, what it represents, or where it is from.

What a sad fate.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

Monty said:

If they do go, I wonder if we could end up with a British football team rather than the current (rather anachronous) situation of home nations?

Be good to get Gareth Bale on the left.

It's about the only silver lining I can think of. Pffft.
    Hah. Yes! Damn good idea.

When and if Scotland goes I will also want revenge. The steel will enter my soul.
    I'm only half joking too. I think FIFA would insist as the old agreement would be null and void presumably and they've been angling for us to have one team for years.

Like I said earlier, so many things are uncertain. I don't like it.
  • Options

Where's Malcolm when you need someone to dish out a load of well deserved "big Jessie's"?

I wonder if Mr Kellner's "correction" has over-corrected itself - taking a genuine, but smaller, move and magnifying it?
  • Options
    JohnLilburneJohnLilburne Posts: 6,014
    edited September 2014
    SeanT said:

SeanT said:

Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

Patrick said:

FUK

Federal UK

I like!

Some truth in what you say, but most people don't look at it that way. The Union Jack is the flag associated with *Britishness* - red telephone boxes, the Beatles, the Queen, Carnaby Street, the Who, Britpop, Ginger Spice's dress, Beefeaters, the Tower of London, London, big red buses, the royal air force, Yorkshire pudding, World War 2, Churchill, and so forth.

None of that goes away when Scotland goes away, sad as that eventuality will be.

So the flag will stay and you (and I) will feel a pang of sadness sometimes, when we look at it, but most people won't begin to understand. Or care. it will still be that cool flag from that funny, mercurial little island in the fog.
    The Union Jack was used on English and Scottish ships from 1606, and in 1604 James I and VI styled himself "King of Great Britain, France and Ireland" so there is precedent in continuing to use the flag and the term Great Britain.

This discussion has been closed.