Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » David Herdson looks at what happens next if it’s a Yes?

SystemSystem Posts: 11,689
edited September 2014 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » David Herdson looks at what happens next if it’s a Yes?

The best odds on Yes winning the Scottish referendum a week on Thursday are 11/4 with bookies, or 3.3/1 on Betfair.  Considering that not a single poll has shown Yes ahead and precious few have shown that side within touching distance, those offerings don’t look particularly attractive.  A Yes, however, would be far from the end of the process:

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    First!
  • Options
    Interesting article Mr Herdson - one quibble I'd have is over the date of independence - why on gods earth should it be determined for the convenience of the 8% of those who wish to leave, rather than the 92% who wish to stay? Yet another promise not within the SNP's gift. To quote the Scottish play If it were done when 'tis done, then 'twere well It were done quickly"
  • Options
    MrBMrB Posts: 2
    What about this question I posed to Andrew Neil last week? With a yes vote, Scottish MPs still count in GE 2015, since separation is not finalised until mid-way through next parliament.

But after then, Scottish MPs are removed from the tally of Westminster, long before 2020. That could be enough to push Prime Minister Milliband into a minority, and force another general election.
  • Options
    MrB said:

separation is not finalised until mid-way through next parliament.

Says who?

The SNP make a lot of claims about things not within their gift (currency union, EU or NATO membership, student fees, to name but a few) - Westminster will set the date if independence - unless Salmond goes UDI. With that in mind, the date it chooses should reflect the needs of all of the UK, not just the 8% that wants to leave.

• Options
    MrBMrB Posts: 2

MrB said:

separation is not finalised until mid-way through next parliament.

Says who?

Said Andrew Neil on the documentary about it.
  • Options
    Danny565Danny565 Posts: 8,091
    edited September 2014
    Yeah, I agree with most of this.

A "Yes" vote would imo mean firstly that the SNP would have a near-clean sweep of the Scottish seats, because even most "No" voters will probably come to terms with the referendum result and will want to elect the people who'll get the best deal for Scotland in the negotiations (while the diehard unionists will probably either be too depressed to turn out or perhaps will have already moved south of the border). Meanwhile, in England the Tories would probably be strengthened because we'd probably descend into jingoism quite quickly and people would want someone who'd be "tough" on Scotland. (I think some kind of crisis, either with the Scottish referendum or an international economic crisis, is the only thing that can save the Tories' bacon next year.)
  • Options
    Greetings from Hong Kong.

To be appointed the PM of a country and then to preside over the disappearance of one-third of its land mass is a pretty big deal. The loss of Ireland - always seen as catholic, over the sea, separate and forever in turmoil - was nothing in comparison. Should he stay on Cameron will be attending international meetings as a hugely diminished figure - as will any rUK PM for a very long time. And whether he resigns or not, the forthcoming Yes vote will be what Cameron will be remembered for - he will be the man who lost the Union. Whether that is fair is another matter. I happen to think that this is the culmination of 30 years of alienation combined with a UK-wide disgust at the Westminster elite. If we all had a chance to stick two fingers up at all three major parties many of us would. The Scots have that chance and will take it.

In terms of the next GE a lot will depend on how the rUK negotiating team is put together. There is a strong case for a cross-party approach as this is an unprecedented constitutional situation and one that will need a definitive settlement with buy-in form all sides of Parliament. Lack of certainty in what will be a volatile situation could be very dangerous: financial markets and the international community generally will be looking for a united approach. The Welsh and Northern Irish may also want to be represented. All the parties seem to agree on the main parameters and all may be keen to remove it as a subject of debate in the GE.

Putting that to one side, I can see why many people believe the Tories will benefit in England, at least, from a Yes vote. That may turn out to be the case, but it is also possible that exactly this scenario may concentrate anti-Tory minds and bring out more such voters than otherwise might have been the case. It may be much harder for the Tories to win back UKIPers. I think it is a very hard one to predict.

The other scenario to consider is what happens in Scotland when it becomes clear that the SNP were, indeed, telling huge porkies about oil reserves, EU membership, the currency, pensions, the NHS, the economy and so on. Presumably by May next year the possibilities of a currency union and automatic EU membership by the time of independence will be a lot clearer because there will have been close to seven months of negotiation already. If, as I expect, the SNP are exposed as shameless fibbers, what we may end up seeing is a collapse in their vote. I would not be at all surprised to see what will be by then be a separate Scottish Labour do very well in the final UK GE in Scotland.

Betting wise it has to be an Alistair Carmichael and Danny Alexander double on next cabinet minister to resign. That will happen before the end of this month. I'd also expect all Scottish-based shadow cabinet ministers to stand down.
  • Options
    Good article David, but for once I have the privilege of disagreeing with you - on one point at least.

Not in any circumstances will Mebyon Kernow win a seat in 2015. Not even if SeanT were to stand for them.
  • Options
    Interesting article on Sturgeon and whither Scottish politics:

Ultimately, the advisor Adam Tomkins believes, Sturgeon could change the face of politics after the referendum. "There are two divisions in Scottish politics: unionist/nationalist and left/right, which don't run in parallel at the moment. She will pull the political centre of gravity of the SNP to the centre left, and the geographical centre away from Aberdeen and Perth, to Glasgow. This will make life very difficult indeed for the Scottish Labour party. If she is successful as leader for some time then those two big divisions will begin to overlap, and the centre right will emerge as the main force for the union."

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2014/sep/05/nicola-sturgeon-salmond-deputy-brink-power

(Tho not sure who the "advisor" Adam Tomkins is - if he's Prof Adam Tomkins I doubt he's advising the SNP!)
  • Options

Good article David, but for once I have the privilege of disagreeing with you - on one point at least.

Not in any circumstances will Mebyon Kernow win a seat in 2015. Not even if SeanT were to stand for them.

It's certainly unlikely but suppose the Tories and Lib Dems are tainted by decisions in government, Labour is an uninspiring opposition, and UKIP messes up badly in an unaccustomed glare of publicity (a situation already in place for the three Westminster parties). It is just about possible that MK might become a focus for discontent at (for them) the right time. If there were such a pool of disillusioned voters casting around for a vehicle to express that opposition through, it's equally possible that a more experienced politician (local councillor level, say), whether currently of MK or not, might be able to make something of it.

I'm not saying it would happen; far from it. But a Yes vote would set be the biggest shake up of the system for generations. In those circumstances, with a nationalist tide running, with the Westminster parties discredited, I don't think 100/1 is unreasonable. What's more, I suspect that unlike most of the odds quoted, those are ones which will last much longer, giving punters the chance to assess how the land lies in the aftermath of the big vote.
  • Options
    After a Yes vote, Labour would likely call for Cameron to resign, but I don't think their heart would be in it.

A resignation would mean the Conservatives going into the 2015 General Election with a fresh new leader, and the extensive coverage of the Conservative leadership campaign would crowd Labour politicians off the airwaves for the vital months leading up to the election, two factors that would hurt the Labour vote.

I don't know if these factors would be enough to swing the election, but I suspect Labour would rather not take the risk.

The Conservatives, of course, can make the same calculations of the potential benefits of a Cameron resignation, but I don't think Cameron would resign for that reason alone. The benefits aren't certain enough.
  • Options
    @David_Herdson

Well, I'll keep my eye on that one....maybe.

But I do agree the shock waves of a Yes vote would be substantial and the consequences unpredictable. Yes, there is the distinct possibility that Politics would veer to the extreme.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,973
    Evening/morning all! Where is that fabled Panelbase poll??
  • Options

After a Yes vote, Labour would likely call for Cameron to resign, but I don't think their heart would be in it..

The Conservatives, of course, can make the same calculations of the potential benefits of a Cameron resignation, but I don't think Cameron would resign for that reason alone. The benefits aren't certain enough.

Yes, Cameron should resign because Ed Miliband couldn't persuade Scottish Labour voters to vote for the union.

Whatever UKIP or some of the Tory back bench think, Cameron is still an asset to his party and regularly outpolls it..l
  • Options
    Labour to the rescue!

Ed Miliband orders English and Welsh Labour MPs up to Scotland
    The Labour leader tells his MPs to "get up there" as the SNP suffers a major public relations disaster after only two of its MPs turn up for a vote on the Bedroom Tax.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/scottish-independence/11078231/Ed-Miliband-orders-English-and-Welsh-Labour-MPs-up-to-Scotland.html
  • Options

. This will make life very difficult indeed for the Scottish Labour party. If she is successful as leader for some time then those two big divisions will begin to overlap, and the centre right will emerge as the main force for the union."

)

It depends what happens later this month; if yes gets over the line by even 1 vote there will be no unionist parties. Even the tories will pretty much instantly embrace independence
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,008

Labour to the rescue!

The Labour leader tells his MPs to "get up there" as the SNP suffers a major public relations disaster after only two of its MPs turn up for a vote on the Bedroom Tax.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/scottish-independence/11078231/Ed-Miliband-orders-English-and-Welsh-Labour-MPs-up-to-Scotland.html

I would have thought the worst possible tactics for No would be to have English MP’s, Labour or otherwise, campaigning. Welsh accents on the doorstep might not be so bad ..... don’t abandon us to the English and all that.

And why was the SNP’s absence a “major PR disaster”? IIRC the proposal went through with a reasonable majority and a good SNP argument would be that when we’re “free” it’s going anyway.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,344
    Good article and I agree with Cameron wouldn't go and the SNP would gain lots. I suspect English voters would mass around the big parties rather than the more fanciful options like MK - people won't really be in a "who lost Scotland?"" mood (because they don't care that much and will just think with mild regret that the Scots have decided to leave off their own bat) or even looking for fierce negotiators - they'll want a reasonable outcome. On the whole I think the Tories would gain as people looked for continuity but it'd be very unpredictable indeed.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453

And why was the SNP’s absence a “major PR disaster”?

The SNP line is that ONLY a Yes could stop the bedroom tax.

The reality is that Labour MPs in Westminster could stop it, which is why the SNP are embarrassed. There was a major twitter spat from Pete Wishart yesterday desperate to prove that he actually tried to get on a plane, that would have arrived too late for him to vote...
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,760
    edited September 2014

Labour to the rescue!

And why was the SNP’s absence a “major PR disaster”?.
    Ed thinks it is:

Mr Miliband said the SNP no-show demonstrated how the Nationalists were trying to “con” Labour voters into believing separation would create a fairer society, pointing out that every one of his Scottish MPs was present for the vote.

And George Galloway poked fun at them - and we know how thick skinned the Nats are:

Inverting a well-worn joke about the number of Scottish Tory MPs, George Galloway tweeted: “Scotland has as many pandas as SNP MPs who voted to defeat the Bedroom Tax today.”
  • Options
    Just a quick note re the final paragraph in the piece. I messed up converting the odds from decimal to traditional re the Betfair prices. The midpoints on the Yes / No come out at almost exactly 7/2 (not 9/2 as I originally wrote). We can use midpoints rather than last traded price on this occasion given how active the market's been and how small the spread is between back and lay.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,344

Labour to the rescue!

I would have thought the worst possible tactics for No would be to have English MP’s, Labour or otherwise, campaigning. Welsh accents on the doorstep might not be so bad ..... don’t abandon us to the English and all that.

And why was the SNP’s absence a “major PR disaster”? IIRC the proposal went through with a reasonable majority and a good SNP argument would be that when we’re “free” it’s going anyway.
    Labour has already diverted its organisers from marginals (yes including mine) for 3 months to strengthen the GOTV operation. Not sure that people will be especially hostile to English canvassers, except for the small minority of anti-English people who are obviously going to vote Yes anyway. When I've been up in the past I've found everyone pretty friendly. It's not as though English accents were unheard of north of the border anyway. It's all obviously marginal stuff but worth a try in case the outcome is indeed marginal.
  • Options

Labour to the rescue!

Ed thinks it is:

Mr Miliband said the SNP no-show demonstrated how the Nationalists were trying to “con” Labour voters into believing separation would create a fairer society, pointing out that every one of his Scottish MPs was present for the vote.

And George Galloway poked fun at them - and we know how thick skinned the Nats are:

Inverting a well-worn joke about the number of Scottish Tory MPs, George Galloway tweeted: “Scotland has as many pandas as SNP MPs who voted to defeat the Bedroom Tax today.”
    It's a silly argument put forward only by Westminster-centric media and politicians. Irrespective of whether it's the only way to ensure people can continue to be able to live in properties bigger than they need at the expense of others, independence (and a future left-wing Scottish government) is certainly one way to achieve it. If Miliband really did order 40+ MPs to Westminster to inflict a defeat on the government hardly anyone will notice rather than deploy them leading No teams across Scotland then it's he who's made the blunder.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453

If Miliband really did order 40+ MPs to Westminster to inflict a defeat on the government hardly anyone will notice rather than deploy them leading No teams across Scotland then it's he who's made the blunder.

Only if Scottish Labour voters (the key swing demographic in the referendum) buy the line that only a yes vote can beat the Tories, instead of the line that only a Labour vote can beat the Tories.

Too early to say he was wrong
  • Options
    FinancierFinancier Posts: 3,916
    If YES wins, don't let either rUK Labour near the negotiating tables as their track record with the EU alone shows they either back down or do not turn up until after the event.
  • Options
    FinancierFinancier Posts: 3,916
    BTW is the Edit function still not working?
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    edited September 2014
    Some interesting analysis as always by DH.

The one that attracts me is 66/1 on Lab most votes, Con most seats.

Apart from the Scottish factor as per DH, there also are red liberals returning to Labour in the South, and potentially lots of kipper voting in Tory safe seats. This could give Tory gains from LD (with Lab in second) and a fair number of kipper second places in the blue shires.

The additive effect of this could be Con most seats Lab most votes. Not likely, but not 66/1...
  • Options
    Financier said:

BTW is the Edit function still not working?

It just worked for me. Android via chrome.
  • Options

Labour to the rescue!

Labour has already diverted its organisers from marginals (yes including mine) for 3 months to strengthen the GOTV operation. Not sure that people will be especially hostile to English canvassers, except for the small minority of anti-English people who are obviously going to vote Yes anyway. When I've been up in the past I've found everyone pretty friendly. It's not as though English accents were unheard of north of the border anyway. It's all obviously marginal stuff but worth a try in case the outcome is indeed marginal.
    They might be courteous, but are they a little irritated? I recall the Guardian’s effort to try and influence a US election against one of the Bush's. Only a few respondents were actually rude, but the pro-Bush vote in the area was higher than might have been expected.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,320
    If there was a small yes vote I think several things would happen. Firstly several major Scottish employers, mainly but not exclusively in the financial sector, would convene EGMs and start the process of moving their registered office to England. Secondly there would be a major financial panic as everyone with more than a couple of groats opened an English bank account and savings drained out of Scotland. I know a surprising number of people who have done this already. Thirdly the rUK parties would confirm their position of no currency union and the implications of not even being able to apply for EU membership would cause Scottish export businesses to panic.

The unionist parties will have a choice. Do they immediately endorse independence as suggested down thread or do they argue that this result has been obtained on a tissue of lies that is already unravelling? If the former then I do not expect any Scottish MPs to be elected in 2015, there really would be no point. If the latter is it possible that 2015 will be treated as a rerun of the referendum with unionists clearly saying a vote for them is a chance of second thoughts now that the reality is apparent?

I think this unlikely and too high a risk for parties that would want a role in the new country but do not doubt there will be a couple of million enraged unionists which is a major potential constituency.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,011
    DavidL said:

If there was a small yes vote I think several things would happen. Firstly several major Scottish employers, mainly but not exclusively in the financial sector, would convene EGMs and start the process of moving their registered office to England. Secondly there would be a major financial panic as everyone with more than a couple of groats opened an English bank account and savings drained out of Scotland. I know a surprising number of people who have done this already. Thirdly the rUK parties would confirm their position of no currency union and the implications of not even being able to apply for EU membership would cause Scottish export businesses to panic.

The unionist parties will have a choice. Do they immediately endorse independence as suggested down thread or do they argue that this result has been obtained on a tissue of lies that is already unravelling? If the former then I do not expect any Scottish MPs to be elected in 2015, there really would be no point. If the latter is it possible that 2015 will be treated as a rerun of the referendum with unionists clearly saying a vote for them is a chance of second thoughts now that the reality is apparent?

I think this unlikely and too high a risk for parties that would want a role in the new country but do not doubt there will be a couple of million enraged unionists which is a major potential constituency.

Do you need an EGM to move your registered office?
  • Options
    audreyanneaudreyanne Posts: 1,376
    This is so so boring. They won't vote Yes, but even if they did I don't care. No-one does. It's Scotland. The country will still be there for tourists. No-one cares.
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    DavidL said:

My political bets are generally modest, but my ISA does contain shares in a number of Scottish based companies (Weir and Aggreko) worth together nearly 5 figures. Both are good, well run companies with major export markets, and a fair amount of offshore earnings. The effect on them of indy chaos could cost me more than my political bets.
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,013

Interesting article on Sturgeon and whither Scottish politics:

Ultimately, the advisor Adam Tomkins believes, Sturgeon could change the face of politics after the referendum. "There are two divisions in Scottish politics: unionist/nationalist and left/right, which don't run in parallel at the moment. She will pull the political centre of gravity of the SNP to the centre left, and the geographical centre away from Aberdeen and Perth, to Glasgow. This will make life very difficult indeed for the Scottish Labour party. If she is successful as leader for some time then those two big divisions will begin to overlap, and the centre right will emerge as the main force for the union."

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2014/sep/05/nicola-sturgeon-salmond-deputy-brink-power

(Tho not sure who the "advisor" Adam Tomkins is - if he's Prof Adam Tomkins I doubt he's advising the SNP!)

It will be the first sensible thing he has said, obviously the scales have dropped from his eyes and he is talking sense. Sturgeon is more left than Salmond so when she takes over SNP in independent Scotland the focus will indeed shift to Glasgow, Tomkins is perhaps not as stupid as I thought , just blinded by bias till now.
    Be interesting to see what comes out of the ashes of the Labour party mind you.
  • Options

This is so so boring. They won't vote Yes, but even if they did I don't care. No-one does. It's Scotland. The country will still be there for tourists. No-one cares.

You seem to be confusing politicalbetting with Facebook.
  • Options
    rogerhrogerh Posts: 282
    An SNP landslide at the 2015 GE increases the chance of a hung parliament where the SNP hold the balance of power.It would be a constitutional farce if the soon to be independent Scots could decided the way forward for an England ,Wales and NI
    Even if its a "no" vote,with Max devo the English will be unable to vote on an even wider range of Scottish matters,whilst the Scots retain the ability to vote on English matters.
    To avoid either of the above its time to sort out before the 2015 GE the West Lothian question and have English votes only on English matters.
  • Options
    rogerh said:

An SNP landslide at the 2015 GE increases the chance of a hung parliament where the SNP hold the balance of power.It would be a constitutional farce if the soon to be independent Scots could decided the way forward for an England ,Wales and NI
    Even if its a "no" vote,with Max devo the English will be unable to vote on an even wider range of Scottish matters,whilst the Scots retain the ability to vote on English matters.
    To avoid either of the above its time to sort out before the 2015 GE the West Lothian question and have English votes only on English matters.

And Welsh votes on Welsh matters?
  • Options
    rogerh said:

In theory, yes; in practice, I'd expect the SNP to abstain on the issue of who formed a government both on principle and political reality. The Yes vote would be the decisive moment; all else is detail. Admittedly, it's important detail but it would feel like interfering in the internal affairs of another country - to both Scots and those in the rest of the UK.

There are two other reasons why that hung parliament situation would give them as much power as might be thought. Firstly, the Westminster parties will be extremely wary of taking actions that could easily be reversed after independence and the removal of the Scottish MPs. There's no point forming a government that's dependent on a bunch of people who won't be there in not much more than a few months and for whom the only hold can be negotiation discussions that you'll subsequently have to justify to a wholly non-Scottish electorate. Secondly, if the SNP do have objections of detail to policy, they can vote them down issue-by-issue; they don't need to make or break governments.
  • Options

After a Yes vote, Labour would likely call for Cameron to resign, but I don't think their heart would be in it.

A resignation would mean the Conservatives going into the 2015 General Election with a fresh new leader, and the extensive coverage of the Conservative leadership campaign would crowd Labour politicians off the airwaves for the vital months leading up to the election, two factors that would hurt the Labour vote.

I don't know if these factors would be enough to swing the election, but I suspect Labour would rather not take the risk.

Given they are up against Ed the Donkey , they could make anyone leader.
  • Options

Labour to the rescue!

LOL, the donkeys are coming
  • Options
    This is an excellent article. It's a general rule in life - in finance, politics, etc. - that things tend to move more slowly than people thing at first, but then, once a tipping point has been reached, they can go much further and faster than people ever believed possible.

Maybe nationalism, in its broadest sense, is going through that right now, as a response to the challenges of globalisation...
  • Options

Diatribes, spats, self-aggrandisement, ailurophilia, discussing sh!t tv, repetitiveness, crap jokes.

And as for Facebook..

• Options
    Scott_P said:

The reality is that Labour MPs in Westminster could stop it, which is why the SNP are embarrassed. There was a major twitter spat from Pete Wishart yesterday desperate to prove that he actually tried to get on a plane, that would have arrived too late for him to vote...
    Brain of Britain joins the argument, only a YES can guarantee it. depending on crap Ed and Labour to be in a position to do it is wishful thinking.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

Robert mused "A resignation would mean the Conservatives going into the 2015 General Election with a fresh new leader, and the extensive coverage of the Conservative leadership campaign would crowd Labour politicians off the airwaves for the vital months leading up to the election, two factors that would hurt the Labour vote."

However, as Ed seems to best when the cameras are not on him, being off the news may favour Ed particularly if the Con contest becomes open warfare over europe.
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,288
    I was staggered by the bile from comments in The Guardian on Obama's photo op to Stonehenge, heaven knows what they would add on Putin.

http://www.theguardian.com/culture/2014/sep/05/barack-obama-stonehenge-meets-british-family

• Options

Labour to the rescue!

Ed thinks it is:

LOL , Tories are down to depending on crap Ed and George Galloway to speak up for them.

• Options
    Scott_P said:

If Miliband really did order 40+ MPs to Westminster to inflict a defeat on the government hardly anyone will notice rather than deploy them leading No teams across Scotland then it's he who's made the blunder.

Only if Scottish Labour voters (the key swing demographic in the referendum) buy the line that only a yes vote can beat the Tories, instead of the line that only a Labour vote can beat the Tories.

Too early to say he was wrong
    LOL
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

This is an excellent article. It's a general rule in life - in finance, politics, etc. - that things tend to move more slowly than people thing at first, but then, once a tipping point has been reached, they can go much further and faster than people ever believed possible.

Maybe nationalism, in its broadest sense, is going through that right now, as a response to the challenges of globalisation...

It would be a tipping point (as would be a No vote) and a large spitting ginger tom in a very large flock of pigeons.
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

It would be a tipping point (as would be a No vote) and a large spitting ginger tom in a very large flock of pigeons.
    Of course, the last time globalisation was reversed, and we saw the rise of nartionalism... it was not pretty...

• Options
    DavidL said:

David you should not brand all Scots as being money grabbing blood suckers like yourself. We will be well shot of your like after independence.
  • Options

malcolmg said:

Robert mused "A resignation would mean the Conservatives going into the 2015 General Election with a fresh new leader, and the extensive coverage of the Conservative leadership campaign would crowd Labour politicians off the airwaves for the vital months leading up to the election, two factors that would hurt the Labour vote."

However, as Ed seems to best when the cameras are not on him, being off the news may favour Ed particularly if the Con contest becomes open warfare over europe.
    Labour would need to lock him away to have any chance
  • Options
    rogerhrogerh Posts: 282

rogerh said:

And Welsh votes on Welsh matters?
    Yes- the logical constitutional after Max Devo for Scotland is Max Devo for England Wales and NI with their own Parliaments voting on domestic matters.
    A small elected British second would cover defense foreign affairs and majot transport infrastucture.
    The 800+ anachronism of the House of Lords would be redundant and abolished.

• Options
    EasterrossEasterross Posts: 1,915
    Morning all and if you were up here and spent a few days touring Scotland you might come to the conclusion YES is going to win. The country is covered in YES banners, posters and stickers. It reminds me of 1998 when we saw YESYES campaign materials in such numbers.

It looks as though YES is winning the battle of the WWC hence the reason that SLAB are running around like headless chickens.

Assuming YES wins, there is no reason why the SNP should win a landslide next year. Winston Churchill led the country to victory in Europe and was promptly turfed out in 1945.

If Salmond had any sense he would do a deal with David Cameron whereby in return for the 59 Westminster constituencies in Scotland being suspended from the GE next year, Scotland's 56 Regional MSPs would spend time at Westminster representing Scotland when votes are required on pan-UK issues.

I would expect the Scottish Tories to adopt the Murdo Fraser plan if we vote YES and fairly quickly. We would then look to consolidate the Scottish centre-right behind our leadership. Ruth Davidson has been a revelation during the IndyRef campaign. She has been engaging, energetic and everywhere. There appears to be a new pragmatism within the leadership of the Scottish Tory Party and we have attracted lots of young people who have been campaigning strongly for the NO side.

There must be a chance that other than at the fringes, the Scottish Liberals would simply disappear. We Tories would look to draw many of their supporters back into our camp.

I would expect the Scottish Labour party to dissolve into a bitter civil war of recriminations as big beasts like Douglas Alexander and Jim Murphy realise their political careers are essentially finished and simply don't hold back on their withering dismissal of Lamont's Lightweights who will have let their vote continue to slip since 2011 leading to the YES vote.

What happens within the SNP will be interesting. There are many people like Malcolm and Stuart Dickson on here who are in effect Tories. With the YES vote being achieved, would they then move back to the new Scottish Tory Party and become part of the new centre-right movement in Scotland?

If we do vote YES then what you folks down in Englandshire is up to you. We will have enough to do sorting everything out up here to ensure that in 2016 we have a sensible government to take Scotland forward.
  • Options

Morning all and if you were up here and spent a few days touring Scotland you might come to the conclusion YES is going to win. The country is covered in YES banners, posters and stickers. It reminds me of 1998 when we saw YESYES campaign materials in such numbers.

It looks as though YES is winning the battle of the WWC hence the reason that SLAB are running around like headless chickens.

Assuming YES wins, there is no reason why the SNP should win a landslide next year. Winston Churchill led the country to victory in Europe and was promptly turfed out in 1945.

True, but the key question for the electorate (as in 1945) is who is best-placed to deliver what the electorate wants next. In 1945, that was a welfare state. In 2015, it would be getting the best deal for Scotland. It's true that past achievements count for little unless they are relevant to the next challenge.
  • Options
    edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,151
    edited September 2014
    Deep thought: If Scotland votes yes and Ed Miliband wins largest party or a majority based on Scottish votes that will disappear when Scotland leaves, maybe rUK gets a Grand Coalition.
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,803

It's certainly unlikely but suppose the Tories and Lib Dems are tainted by decisions in government, Labour is an uninspiring opposition, and UKIP messes up badly in an unaccustomed glare of publicity (a situation already in place for the three Westminster parties). It is just about possible that MK might become a focus for discontent at (for them) the right time. If there were such a pool of disillusioned voters casting around for a vehicle to express that opposition through, it's equally possible that a more experienced politician (local councillor level, say), whether currently of MK or not, might be able to make something of it.

I'm not saying it would happen; far from it. But a Yes vote would set be the biggest shake up of the system for generations. In those circumstances, with a nationalist tide running, with the Westminster parties discredited, I don't think 100/1 is unreasonable. What's more, I suspect that unlike most of the odds quoted, those are ones which will last much longer, giving punters the chance to assess how the land lies in the aftermath of the big vote.
    Has nobody mentioned one obvious connection between a Yes vote and MK?

It's Trident, and the prospective move to the Fal estuary. Even the local Tory MP is up in arms at the idea. That 100/1 odds might not look so bad, unless the LDs revert to being the protest vote. Or UKIP.

• Options
    Remember that if Scotland votes "yes" it's because the Scots have voted with their hearts. So what will the Scottish heart feel next? That the rUK (aka English) negotiating team have been totally unfair. And that nothing else could have been expected of it anyway.

Ten - or even five - years into independence, and with an economy collapsing faster each month, a Reunion Party riding high in the polls, the Scottish government faces a request to extradite some bonny lads who made a hit-and-run raid on Carlisle city centre, which is now a smouldering ruin. Will the Scottish PM extradite them? What will the Scots want him/her to do? Remember - a "yes" means that we know this a folk who let their hearts rule their heads.
  • Options

True, but the key question for the electorate (as in 1945) is who is best-placed to deliver what the electorate wants next. In 1945, that was a welfare state. In 2015, it would be getting the best deal for Scotland. It's true that past achievements count for little unless they are relevant to the next challenge.
    Exactly my gut feeling, added to the damage to the Labour Party which would be implicit in a Yes vote.

• Options
    edited September 2014

If Salmond had any sense he would do a deal with David Cameron whereby in return for the 59 Westminster constituencies in Scotland being suspended from the GE next year, Scotland's 56 Regional MSPs would spend time at Westminster representing Scotland when votes are required on pan-UK issues.

I would expect the Scottish Tories to adopt the Murdo Fraser plan if we vote YES and fairly quickly. We would then look to consolidate the Scottish centre-right behind our leadership. Ruth Davidson has been a revelation during the IndyRef campaign. She has been engaging, energetic and everywhere. There appears to be a new pragmatism within the leadership of the Scottish Tory Party and we have attracted lots of young people who have been campaigning strongly for the NO side.

There must be a chance that other than at the fringes, the Scottish Liberals would simply disappear. We Tories would look to draw many of their supporters back into our camp.

I would expect the Scottish Labour party to dissolve into a bitter civil war of recriminations as big beasts like Douglas Alexander and Jim Murphy realise their political careers are essentially finished and simply don't hold back on their withering dismissal of Lamont's Lightweights who will have let their vote continue to slip since 2011 leading to the YES vote.

What happens within the SNP will be interesting. There are many people like Malcolm and Stuart Dickson on here who are in effect Tories. With the YES vote being achieved, would they then move back to the new Scottish Tory Party and become part of the new centre-right movement in Scotland?

If we do vote YES then what you folks down in Englandshire is up to you. We will have enough to do sorting everything out up here to ensure that in 2016 we have a sensible government to take Scotland forward.

Easterross, good post but I disagree on Ruth Davidson. I think she has been very poor. A London sockpuppet, dire in parliament and just spouting London line in the referendum debate. There will need to be a huge clearout of the deadwood London puppets before Tories will ever get back in Scotland. Opportunity has been there but they have ignored it completely. Murdo is not much better but at least he knew they had to become more Scottish.

PS: I agree there does seem to be big change in the air now, the differences are very obvious now.
    As someone said the fields are for NO and the towns are for YES.
  • Options
    PeterCPeterC Posts: 1,274
    If YES the GE would not be postponed. Scottish MPs would probably take a self-denying pledge to abstain from voting on any matters not concerned with Scotland - a belated EVEL. Ideally this should be enshrined in law with an emergency bill.

What a disaster New Labour's devolution policy has proved to be, how ridiculous the preening self-congratulatory rhetoric now seems.
  • Options
    I think Labour showed yesterday where it's priorities lie and they are not in keeping Scotland within the UK. The vote over the spare-room subsidy is not a PR disaster for the SNP. I haven't heard it mentioned on a single Scottish news programme since the vote took place. Many people will rightly point out that Labour introduced it for the private sector and now wish to get rid of it because it is also applying to Labour's core vote, the subsidised benefit claimants. A bit like the poll tax in reverse where it was fine for English MPs to vote to impose it on the Scots but howls and protests when it arrived in England too.

Those 40 Scottish Labour MPs should have been on the streets of Scottish towns and cities yesterday campaigning to save the UK (perhaps with the exception of Gordon Brown who does more damage than good every time he opens his mouth).
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    Interesting that both Cameron to leave in 2014 and May next PM are the same odds.

Does that imply that if the former happens the latter is a shoo-in?

I think it's pretty likely - I don't see the alternatives being viable. Hammond is a fixer/safe pair of hands, Osborne is still widely disliked and no one else really has the seniority, but am I reading too much into the odds?
  • Options
    John_NJohn_N Posts: 389
    "If Scotland does vote Yes, expect an SNP landslide there in 2015."

I agree that NO will probably win, but the above statement is rubbish.

The euphoric carnival would be over. Labour would get most Scottish seats.

Remember that those seats would suddenly disappear the following year.
  • Options
    If Scotland votes NO, will Salmond resign as First Minister? How about a market on that?
  • Options

Interesting article Mr Herdson - one quibble I'd have is over the date of independence - why on gods earth should it be determined for the convenience of the 8% of those who wish to leave, rather than the 92% who wish to stay? Yet another promise not within the SNP's gift. To quote the Scottish play If it were done when 'tis done, then 'twere well It were done quickly"

You'd have what are called "transitional service agreements" in my line of business.

Work out the big issues really quickly, and then agree that lots of the practically important but not constitutionally significant things (e.g. DVLA, HMRC or Faslane) support to continue - on a cost basis - for a period of, say, 3 years post independence to give them time to be figured out in a sensible time frame.

Independence day being the day of the next UK GE seems a logical date for separation.
  • Options

Remember that if Scotland votes "yes" it's because the Scots have voted with their hearts. So what will the Scottish heart feel next? That the rUK (aka English) negotiating team have been totally unfair. And that nothing else could have been expected of it anyway.

Ten - or even five - years into independence, and with an economy collapsing faster each month, a Reunion Party riding high in the polls, the Scottish government faces a request to extradite some bonny lads who made a hit-and-run raid on Carlisle city centre, which is now a smouldering ruin. Will the Scottish PM extradite them? What will the Scots want him/her to do? Remember - a "yes" means that we know this a folk who let their hearts rule their heads.

If Jamie the Saxt and Elizabeth of England could have mutual security arrangements to cover cross-border raids by reivers, I'm sure they could be revived!

• Options

Nutjob
  • Options
    Charles said:

Interesting that both Cameron to leave in 2014 and May next PM are the same odds.

Does that imply that if the former happens the latter is a shoo-in?

I think it's pretty likely - I don't see the alternatives being viable. Hammond is a fixer/safe pair of hands, Osborne is still widely disliked and no one else really has the seniority, but am I reading too much into the odds?

Hammond is a safe pair of hands, which is what would be needed. He is also more eurosceptic which would play in his favour.

I suppose there is some chance of a contest being in 2015 rather than 2014 so explaining the odds.
  • Options

I think Labour showed yesterday where it's priorities lie and they are not in keeping Scotland within the UK. The vote over the spare-room subsidy is not a PR disaster for the SNP. I haven't heard it mentioned on a single Scottish news programme since the vote took place. Many people will rightly point out that Labour introduced it for the private sector and now wish to get rid of it because it is also applying to Labour's core vote, the subsidised benefit claimants. A bit like the poll tax in reverse where it was fine for English MPs to vote to impose it on the Scots but howls and protests when it arrived in England too.

Those 40 Scottish Labour MPs should have been on the streets of Scottish towns and cities yesterday campaigning to save the UK (perhaps with the exception of Gordon Brown who does more damage than good every time he opens his mouth).

Apt that they were at the trough , they care nothing for Scotland, only interested in saving themselves. The end is nigh.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

The reality is that Labour MPs in Westminster could stop it, which is why the SNP are embarrassed.
    The SNP is embarrassed that Labour has more seats in Westminster?

Don't be silly (and, btw, the vote yesterday was a PMB, so means the square root of bugger all. It's just a bit of political nonsense)
  • Options
    Don't for a second think that Scotland would become an economic basket case. We would have 2 or 3 very difficult years while the independence settlement is determined. However we Scots are first and foremost Scots and once the result is known, if YES wins, there will be a great many of us who have too much invested in Scotland to cut and run or bury our heads in the sand.

The people who are in for a shock are the sad, deluded lefties who thought they were voting for a socialist utopia. Scotland is the country of Adam Smith and Robert the Bruce, of James Watt, Alexander Graham Bell, John Boyd Dunlop and many many more. We will simply re-invent ourselves as we have done so often.

I would expect some Edinburgh financial institutions to move south to London and then return when the economy settles.

I also doubt we will see the nuclear subs leave the Clyde. It is the policy of the Scottish Greens, both of them and the Nippy Sweetie wing of the SNP. It is not the policy of SLAB, SLD or the Scottish Tories. Post independence I very much doubt the hard left would be able to muster sufficient support to get Trident removal on to the statute book, especially since keeping it will be the quid pro quo for substantial inward investment from rUK and the USA.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

DavidL said:

I don't know, but it's pretty likely.

I'm not sure, though, it would be sufficient to just move your registered office

What you'd probably need is a Scheme of Arrangement in order to switch from a Scottish company to a company registered in England & Wales. That would need approval at an EGM.
  • Options
    SmarmeronSmarmeron Posts: 5,099
    @Charles
    " ...(and, btw, the vote yesterday was a PMB, so means the square root of bugger all."

The majority can vote as they wish, but only the "executive" holds any real power?
    British democracy.
  • Options

Zing!

:-)
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    John_N said:

If Scotland votes NO, will Salmond resign as First Minister? How about a market on that?

"65-35 is a great result for the SNP....."

• Options
    malcolmg said:

Nutjob
    Talking about yourself again, Malc?

• Options
    The day set for 'Independence Day' is triple-witching day on the derivatives markets and followed by a bank holiday in Scotland and two in rUK.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,850

Yes, you'd think campaigning to save the Union would be of greater importance to SLAB

• Options
    rcs1000 said:

Of course, the last time globalisation was reversed, and we saw the rise of nartionalism... it was not pretty...

Was that the Norfolk Socialist Workers Party perchance...?
  • Options
    SeanT said:

It is utterly tragic yet also ridiculous that we are apparently facing the dissolution and Partition of our magnificent, storied, proud, spectacular 300 year old nation because of... The bedroom tax.

It was once said the British acquired their empire in a fit of absent-mindedness. We are about to lose Britain itself the same way.

And it's not like the Scots even wanted this. They wanted Devomax. Cameron refused. Because he is a flailing idiot.

For that reason alone he must resign post-YES. But he will resign anyway. The psychic pressure, inner and outer, would be intolerable. The passionate unionist and old Etonian who broke up the Union? He will be publicly disgraced and diminished. Weak men would consider suicide. Imagine him at the next G8 meeting, having just lost a third of his country. Intolerable humiliation.

He will resign.

Sean sometimes you do write utter crap. There is one person and one person alone responsible if we Scots vote YES in 12 days time. That person is Tony Blair. The day he created the Scottish Parliament was the day he subjected the UK to the inevitable break-up.

He even failed to create a "fixed" electoral system to prevent the SNP taking power. The hybrid system we have for Holyrood was said by the experts to be impossible for one party to win, even Scottish Labour. Well as we know, Scottish Labour didn't win but the SNP did and the rest will be history.

David Cameron should not resign. DevoMax would not have been a solution. Like the 1998 Scottish Parliament proposal, it would only have been a half-way house to full independence. The only party with a sensible policy which might have saved the UK in the long run was the Liberals (not LibDems) and their long held Federal system within the UK.

Even if Scotland votes NO in 12 days time, it will be a very narrow win and we Scots will be back voting again in 5 years in a 2nd referendum.

Like a runaway train which has been shunted on to the Tony Blair siding, there is no other conclusion than hitting the buffers with a mighty bang, either in 12 days time or in a few years time. Scotland is no Quebec.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

Apt that they were at the trough , they care nothing for Scotland, only interested in saving themselves. The end is nigh.
    Is that what you've got written on your sandwich board?
  • Options
    Smarmeron said:

@Charles
    " ...(and, btw, the vote yesterday was a PMB, so means the square root of bugger all."

The majority can vote as they wish, but only the "executive" holds any real power?
    British democracy.

No - just that it won't get sufficient time in the parliamentary timetable to progress to an Act.

I'm on record as not being a fan of the current set up - I'd rather separate the executive and the legislature.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

DavidL said:

Yes because you need shareholder approval for the restructuring that would inevitably be involved. A company cannot move its registered office from Scotland to England so a new English based holding company would be required with either the shares or the assets being transferred to that. This needs shareholder approval.
  • Options

DavidL said:

My political bets are generally modest, but my ISA does contain shares in a number of Scottish based companies (Weir and Aggreko) worth together nearly 5 figures. Both are good, well run companies with major export markets, and a fair amount of offshore earnings. The effect on them of indy chaos could cost me more than my political bets.
    There are strong rumours that Weir group is one of those that would move.
  • Options
    nn

For better or for worse from my anecdotal survey of The Birmingham Office Girls this is absolutely correct.

Little boy abducted?- loads of spontaneous comments, (mostly very anti-authorities).

Country about to possibly split asunder? Nothing. Zilch. When mentioned by me in the context that I am taking the Friday as leave so I can stay up to watch the results, there was incomprehension and shouder shrugs. Basically it has not impinged on TBOGs awareness at all. They simply do not care if Scotland goes or stays. Neither a feeling of mild regret nor of good riddence. Not interested. It might as well be the moon.

Interesting contrast with our northen friends getting all het up. Scottish Unionists would find it very dispiriting

• Options
    Good morning, everyone.

Mr. Easterross, I entirely agree. Blair's needless devolution to try and build a perpetual Labour fiefdom is the root cause of the potential separation of the UK. One more thing to add to Blair's list of shame.

Third practice starts in under an hour. Mercedes should be fastest over one lap, but if Williams can get close the race could be tasty between the two teams.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

Blair is if course to blame, but so is Cameron. He took a huge gamble. And if he loses?

A gamble is something you can choose whether to make or not.
  • Options
    John_N said:

I presume you are making that opinion from outside Scotland , or if not that you do not leave the house at all.
  • Options
    Charles said:

You'd have what are called "transitional service agreements" in my line of business.

Work out the big issues really quickly, and then agree that lots of the practically important but not constitutionally significant things (e.g. DVLA, HMRC or Faslane) support to continue - on a cost basis - for a period of, say, 3 years post independence to give them time to be figured out in a sensible time frame.

Independence day being the day of the next UK GE seems a logical date for separation.
    Carlotta , does not want sensible suggestions, she is all for invasion of Scotland immediately after a YES vote.
  • Options
    According to Tory commentator Ian Dale,a Yes win would bring about the most serious constitutional crisis since 1936 Abdication and Dave only has a couple of weeks left to save his job.He would have to go.
    http://www.conservativehome.com/thecolumnists/2014/09/iain-dale-why-we-may-have-entered-the-last-two-weeks-of-camerons-premiership.html
  • Options
    DavidL said:

DavidL said:

There are strong rumours that Weir group is one of those that would move.
    Weir have done well recently, and I am up over 70% on when I bought in on the basis that a company that makes fracking equipment had a bright future. Aggreko I have done less well with, but a company that makes temporary power equipment also has a good future in a world where power supply shortages are on the cards.

I may sell up and buy back in when the dust settles.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

John_N said:

I presume you are making that opinion from outside Scotland , or if not that you do not leave the house at all.
    Presume less. I take it you're referring to the first statement I make, and that you are using sarcasm to convey the shallow and superficial view that what I call the "euphoric carnival" means YES will win? Correct me if I'm wrong.
  • Options
    @Malcom - I forgot to say: I live in Scotland and will be voting NO.
  • Options
    Betting question:

'Will Leveson be implemented by January and, if so, in which year?"

Are there any 'clever puntahs' available to advise...?
  • Options
    SeanT said:

I've basically been right about every aspect of indyref from the off.

Chortle, as Mick might say.
  • Options
    Mr. T, I disagree, for two reasons.

DevoMax would've required changes for England and perhaps Wales as well. You can't have 10% of the country gain such powers whilst treating the rest as second class (ie West Lothian Question on steroids).

A three question referendum could've seen a 'winning' option have 34% of the vote. For a decision about the potential end of a country you need a bare minimum of 50%+1. Imagine if no change or separation had won with 66% voting for other things. That'd be ridiculous.

Labour's short-sighted constitutional meddling and complacent arrogance has led us to this fork in the road.
  • Options

SeanT said:

It is utterly tragic yet also ridiculous that we are apparently facing the dissolution and Partition of our magnificent, storied, proud, spectacular 300 year old nation because of... The bedroom tax.

It was once said the British acquired their empire in a fit of absent-mindedness. We are about to lose Britain itself the same way.

And it's not like the Scots even wanted this. They wanted Devomax. Cameron refused. Because he is a flailing idiot.

For that reason alone he must resign post-YES. But he will resign anyway. The psychic pressure, inner and outer, would be intolerable. The passionate unionist and old Etonian who broke up the Union? He will be publicly disgraced and diminished. Weak men would consider suicide. Imagine him at the next G8 meeting, having just lost a third of his country. Intolerable humiliation.

He will resign.

Sean sometimes you do write utter crap. There is one person and one person alone responsible if we Scots vote YES in 12 days time. That person is Tony Blair. The day he created the Scottish Parliament was the day he subjected the UK to the inevitable break-up.

He even failed to create a "fixed" electoral system to prevent the SNP taking power. The hybrid system we have for Holyrood was said by the experts to be impossible for one party to win, even Scottish Labour. Well as we know, Scottish Labour didn't win but the SNP did and the rest will be history.

David Cameron should not resign. DevoMax would not have been a solution. Like the 1998 Scottish Parliament proposal, it would only have been a half-way house to full independence. The only party with a sensible policy which might have saved the UK in the long run was the Liberals (not LibDems) and their long held Federal system within the UK.

Even if Scotland votes NO in 12 days time, it will be a very narrow win and we Scots will be back voting again in 5 years in a 2nd referendum.

Like a runaway train which has been shunted on to the Tony Blair siding, there is no other conclusion than hitting the buffers with a mighty bang, either in 12 days time or in a few years time. Scotland is no Quebec.
    Easterross, again a great post. These guys down south just cannot grasp what is happening, they have laughed it off for years and now as the express is about to hit them head on they start running about like headless chickens.
    The die is cast as you say it is now only a question of when.
    Reading cochers in Telegraph today was fun, he just cannot believe that his fantasies were wrong.
  • Options
    I am keeping this year's ISA allowance for investment in Scotland after a Yes vote. I won't be the only one.
  • Options

Mr. T, I disagree, for two reasons.

DevoMax would've required changes for England and perhaps Wales as well. You can't have 10% of the country gain such powers whilst treating the rest as second class (ie West Lothian Question on steroids).

A three question referendum could've seen a 'winning' option have 34% of the vote. For a decision about the potential end of a country you need a bare minimum of 50%+1. Imagine if no change or separation had won with 66% voting for other things. That'd be ridiculous.

Labour's short-sighted constitutional meddling and complacent arrogance has led us to this fork in the road.

MD, you are going to get your changes in any event
This discussion has been closed.