Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Miliband’s Achilles’ heel: those who backed Brown

13»

Comments

• Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,222

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

Blue_rog said:

malcolmg said:

Blue_rog said:

Oh dear oh lord, has the thread been dominated by that decided question about a much loved part of the UK being subjected to something they didn't want asked?

Why not discuss something of import - like the situation in Ukraine, or the inactivity of the Eurocrats, or what the hell China is going to do?

Rog, Only 5 weeks more for you to suffer.

PS , those other topics you suggest are miniscule in importance compared to the big question.
    Get a few malts in you and you will feel better.
    With the greates respect, will the discussions stop if the decision goes against what the separatists want? In other referenda, once the question has been asked and answered, there's no chance of another question being put for at least a generation!
    We would be gutted for a while, but there would soon be request for next referendum, if it was to be NO it would be by a whisker and so would not go away.
    However it will be YES and so you guys will be left to discuss what name your rump will be called and some will be whinging about the CU and lack of borders etc.

PS, seriously , it is too late to stop now, it will go on until Scotland is independent , things will never go back to where they were, the union is finished regardless of this initial vote.
    Once the oil is gone ( soon ), the SNP will return to its natural habitat on the lunatic fringe.

Yes , we are doomed , they keep finding stuff and making our problems bigger
    https://twitter.com/ToniGiugliano/status/500300559480786944/photo/1
    God only knows why that Italian bloke thinks Shetland's resources belong to him.

nearly a hundred miles outside their waters unfortunately, but nice to see you trying to be witty rather than halfwitty for a change ,
  • Options
    Blue_rogBlue_rog Posts: 2,019
    O/T this is horrible. We should spend a LOT of money in all countries that these people come from, saying we flood all containers with phosgene to kill any bugs. See how many takers the traffickers get then!
  • Options
    Blue_rog said:

O/T this is horrible. We should spend a LOT of money in all countries that these people come from, saying we flood all containers with phosgene to kill any bugs. See how many takers the traffickers get then!

Oops no quote
    http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-28817688

Highland park kicking in :-)
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,135
    edited August 2014
    Charles said:

surbiton said:

surbiton said:

One thing most PBers are also not taking into account.partly because most don't suffer it, is the massive reduction in living standards for the low waged, in the public sector certainly but also private. The BoE's projection to halve [ where were they all this time ? ] expected wage growth rate shows people are really suffering. *ankers maybe raking in, but the poor sods at the bottom half are suffering. They won't be voting Tory, I can assure you and, on the day, will come out and vote anti Tory. UKIP will get some of those votes.

This will be the first election in decades when people will be worse off than 5 years ago. THanks to austerity.

Thanks to the people who made austerity essential!, and polling suggests that most still blame the Brown government, and his acolyte Balls.

And when we look at France or at Japan, where we see a 1.7% contraction in GDP last quarter, we see no real alternative to living within our means. Borrowing for stimulus is an epic fail.
    I find your logic strange. We are only talking about people who voted Brown / Labour in 2010. Then, in the aftermath of the biggest credit crunch the world had seen for 60 years and all the Tory propaganda, they still voted Labour. Now, five years later, they will blame Labour ?
    Labour ran some very effective PPBs in the second half of the campaign - featuring besuited Tories going around taking things away from normal middle class families (I remember the plaintive complaint from one of the characters - I think it was to do with child benefit - "but we need that").

The question then becomes: (a) did those ads persuade anyone waverers to stick with Labour - I suspect they did; and (b) has their experience under the coalition really been as bad as they feared?

Secondly, there is then the question of Scotland where Brown did far better than in the rest of the country. I suspect EdM has less fundamental appeal to Scots although, of course, there is a lot of uncertainty about what is going to happen in Scotland next year. That said Labour's risk is probably to the downside.
    I and others have made the point before that for many middle-class people there has been a worsening of their financial situation. As I understand it, it’s not only middle and lower rank public servants who have had a wage freeze; it’s happened in private industry as well.
    As a result they not only feel worse off, but see others, especially right at the top, better off.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    Blue_rog said:

Mr. Rog, tried whisky?

I looked in the exec lounge but they only had crappy blended stuff! I've trained my palate to only accept single malts, in the best Jack W tradition. Saying that I probably couldn't tell the difference between a blended whisky and paraffin at the moment. God I feel rough.
    If you can try a whisky mac - Jamesons + Stones is my preferred mix.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Whisky_Mac

Alternatively warm Glenmorangie and lemon is pretty smooth as well.
  • Options
    Blue_rog said:

Blue_rog said:

Oops no quote

Always some greedy person happy to make money out of other people's misery, and no scruples how they do it.
  • Options
    Charles said:

Blue_rog said:

Mr. Rog, tried whisky?

I looked in the exec lounge but they only had crappy blended stuff! I've trained my palate to only accept single malts, in the best Jack W tradition. Saying that I probably couldn't tell the difference between a blended whisky and paraffin at the moment. God I feel rough.

an awful waste of Glenmorangie, use some blended whisky if you are sticking lemon in it, then sip the Glenmorangie when the toddy starts working.
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,771
    malcolmg said:

Blue_rog said:

Blue_rog said:

Oops no quote

Always some greedy person happy to make money out of other people's misery, and no scruples how they do it.
    That's enough about Souter .
  • Options

malcolmg said:

Blue_rog said:

Blue_rog said:

Oops no quote

LOL, good opener Alan
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    malcolmg said:

Blue_rog said:

Blue_rog said:

Oops no quote

Malcolmg, again o/t but a a Scotsman what's your opinion of myrica gale as a deterrent to the dreaded Scottish midge?
  • Options
    SmarmeronSmarmeron Posts: 5,099
    Cheap "rubbing" whisky (any brand will do), dollop of honey, enough lemon juice to hide the sweetness, and hot, but not boiling water.
  • Options
    In my very early pharmaceutical years I was told that the best cure for a cold was a bottle of whisky,a glass, a bed with bedpoists and a top hat.
    Put the top hat on one of the bedposts, get into bed and start drinking the whisky. When either the top hat moves to the other bedpost, or you can see two hats, go to sleep.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

Blue_rog said:

Blue_rog said:

Oops no quote

LOL, good opener Alan
    Anyway I take it you've gone off kangaroos and fosters lager ?

http://www.scotsman.com/news/politics/top-stories/independence-australian-pm-warns-against-yes-vote-1-3511670

• Options

I and others have made the point before that for many middle-class people there has been a worsening of their financial situation. As I understand it, it’s not only middle and lower rank public servants who have had a wage freeze; it’s happened in private industry as well.
    As a result they not only feel worse off, but see others, especially right at the top, better off.

Most people at the top are not better off in wage terms.

It's only those with investible assets that benefit from QE.

Thus, for instance, it doesn't benefit my lifestyle that my flat is worth 2x what it was 5 years ago: it's got harder to afford anything bigger and I have no current plans to sell and move to a less expensive area
  • Options

In my very early pharmaceutical years I was told that the best cure for a cold was a bottle of whisky,a glass, a bed with bedpoists and a top hat.
    Put the top hat on one of the bedposts, get into bed and start drinking the whisky. When either the top hat moves to the other bedpost, or you can see two hats, go to sleep.

I'd heard the same but with a chambermaid, and she's on top of you. If she fails to move, or anotherone comes in, go to sleep!
  • Options
    @Blue_rog
    It works, but then again lavender "Skin so Soft" works as well.
    I am allergic to the burgers, so it is Jungle Formula for me.
  • Options
    Blue_rog said:

malcolmg said:

Blue_rog said:

Blue_rog said:

Oops no quote

Malcolmg, again o/t but a a Scotsman what's your opinion of myrica gale as a deterrent to the dreaded Scottish midge?
    Rog, I have never used it but lots of people swear that "Avon So Soft" oil spray is the best deterrent. They are so persistent it is best just to run away if you can , get into the pub.
  • Options

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

Blue_rog said:

Blue_rog said:

Oops no quote

LOL, good opener Alan
    Anyway I take it you've gone off kangaroos and fosters lager ?

http://www.scotsman.com/news/politics/top-stories/independence-australian-pm-warns-against-yes-vote-1-3511670

What an absolute toerag, anything Australian is banned till further notice. To be fair he is not right in the head.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

Charles said:

Blue_rog said:

Mr. Rog, tried whisky?

an awful waste of Glenmorangie, use some blended whisky if you are sticking lemon in it, then sip the Glenmorangie when the toddy starts working.
    Personally I'd use Jameson's as well - but @blue_rog made that point about only liking malts!
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    Blue_rog said:

I'd heard the same but with a chambermaid, and she's on top of you. If she fails to move, or anotherone comes in, go to sleep!
    Reminds me of the Irish lad who asked his parish priest if it was OK to sleep with a girl.

"No problem" said the priest. "Trouble is, you young peoplel don’t sleep!"
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    Charles said:

malcolmg said:

Charles said:

Blue_rog said:

Mr. Rog, tried whisky?

Personally I'd use Jameson's as well - but @blue_rog made that point about only liking malts!
    True he did, Jamesons is OK but you should really drink the real thing.

PS Rog should just avoid the lemon if he cannot suffer blended
  • Options
    @Charles
    Anything in a single malt other than a little cold water, is a waste.(another shot of malt can be added in emergencies)
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

Charles said:

malcolmg said:

Charles said:

Blue_rog said:

Mr. Rog, tried whisky?

Correct malc -Bushmills.
  • Options
    OK now finished my £ 40 shot and am going to watch Avengers on HBO Asia. Toodles
  • Options
    edited August 2014

malcolmg said:

Charles said:

malcolmg said:

Charles said:

Blue_rog said:

Mr. Rog, tried whisky?

Correct malc -Bushmills.
    Alan, I was going to mention that if you were forced to slum it then it should be Bushmills at least , but better to get the real thing. I knew what you were thinking and that you would be along soon.

I am trying to be nice this pm
  • Options
    FlightpathFlightpath Posts: 4,012
    malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

Blue_rog said:

malcolmg said:

Blue_rog said:

Oh dear oh lord, has the thread been dominated by that decided question about a much loved part of the UK being subjected to something they didn't want asked?

Why not discuss something of import - like the situation in Ukraine, or the inactivity of the Eurocrats, or what the hell China is going to do?

PS , those other topics you suggest are miniscule in importance compared to the big question.
    With the greates respect, will the discussions stop if the decision goes against what the separatists want? In other referenda, once the question has been asked and answered, there's no chance of another question being put for at least a generation!
    We would be gutted for a while, but there would soon be request for next referendum, if it was to be NO it would be by a whisker and so would not go away.
    However it will be YES and so you guys will be left to discuss what name your rump will be called and some will be whinging about the CU and lack of borders etc.

PS, seriously , it is too late to stop now, it will go on until Scotland is independent , things will never go back to where they were, the union is finished regardless of this initial vote.
    Once the oil is gone ( soon ), the SNP will return to its natural habitat on the lunatic fringe.

The Bentley Field has been known about since 2002. Its not new. Its owners say it will bring 57,000 barrels per day. UK North sea output is 1million barrels per day.

It also belongs to Shetland not Scotland
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

@Southam Observer

" I guess a lot will depend on the manifesto that UKIP eventually comes up with"

There is much in what you say, but I think the UKIP manifesto will not be important to the people who are thinking of voting for that party. Few people will read it (does anyone who isn't paid to read any party's manifesto?) and any reports pointing out inconsistencies and items of silliness will be shrugged off. Look at the run up to the Euros earlier this year; there were a lot of stories about how awful some of the UKIP people were and how incompetent and unfit they were as a party, if it made a difference it was a very small one.

UKIP is the party for the ignored, the disenfranchised and the fed up. In many ways it is analogous to the Labour Party in its early years, it exists to give a voice to those ignored by the big parties.

UKIP are a classic populist party, picking up support from the disgruntled everywhere. Disgruntlement does not make for a coherent message or government, nor will it make a coherent campaign.

At most they will take a handful of seats (I forecast zero) but may alter the outcomes in a number of others, so they will be able to stay disgruntled.

Any fool or fruitcake can moan, but few can plan and deliver a coherent plan for government.
    I am not gong to argue with that, except to say I don't think anyone, not even their most ardent supporters expect them to need a coherent plan for government. UKIP may take a few seats, I'd be very pleased if they do, they may not. What for sure they are doing is giving a voice to those who the big parties want to ignore. I think they will continue to grow because of it.

Oh, on the subject of a coherent plan for government I haven't seen one from any of the three major parties and as another coalition government seems to be on the cards I don't suppose we shall either.
    UKIP ae goiving a voice to some very nasty people. I only hope that sane rational moderate people do not let them win any seats and vote accordingly. It will bring shame on our nation if UKIP win a single seat.
    Probably not any nastier than some of the people in the other parties.
    They probably are
  • Options
    New Thread
  • Options
    Charles said:

Most people at the top are not better off in wage terms.

It's only those with investible assets that benefit from QE.

Thus, for instance, it doesn't benefit my lifestyle that my flat is worth 2x what it was 5 years ago: it's got harder to afford anything bigger and I have no current plans to sell and move to a less expensive area
    With respect, Charles, I don’t think you were badly off before all this started. If there isn’t much of a gap between income and expenditure, and the latter rises, then Mr Micawber’s dictum comes into play. If there’s a bigger gap that it’s “only” inconvenient.

Agree with you, though, about house etc values. Houses especially are only actually worth anything if one can turn bricks and mortar into money. My house is undoubtedly worth more than it was, but since, like you I’ve no intention of moving any appreciation is of academic interest only.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

Charles said:

malcolmg said:

Charles said:

Blue_rog said:

Mr. Rog, tried whisky?

Correct malc -Bushmills.
    Alan, I was going to mention that if you were forced to slum it then it should be Bushmills at least , but better to get the real thing. I knew what you were thinking and that you would be along soon.

I am trying to be nice this pm
    We make the real stuff malc, unlike you skinflint calvinists who stint on distilling for the third time. It's your cheap hooch makes you lot all crotchety.
  • Options

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

Blue_rog said:

malcolmg said:

Blue_rog said:

The Bentley Field has been known about since 2002. Its not new. Its owners say it will bring 57,000 barrels per day. UK North sea output is 1million barrels per day.

It also belongs to Shetland not Scotland
    Boo Hoo , old misery guts, do you ever have anything sensible to bring to the table. Next you will be telling me that all the fracking oil in England belongs to the IOM.
    Turnip head.
  • Options
    An old "slow cooker", a couple of gallon fermenting jars, cooking oil, length of copper microbore, and a cork or two.
    But remember to report yourself to the "revenue" afterwords.
  • Options

New Thread

where is it
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,675
    malcolmg said:

Blue_rog said:

malcolmg said:

Blue_rog said:

First (semi) acknowledgement that your fraudulent independence campaign has hit the buffers. I don't know whether to be pleased or feel slightly sad.

Truth will out. And the endgame is that Britain will be independent and whole -not balkanised by self-serving EU sycophants like Salmond stoking division for their own gain.
  • Options
    HurstLlamaHurstLlama Posts: 9,098
    edited August 2014
    Smarmeron said:

Cheap "rubbing" whisky (any brand will do), dollop of honey, enough lemon juice to hide the sweetness, and hot, but not boiling water.

Spot on Mr. Smarmeron, but in large quantities none of the namby-pamby pub measures, and, of course, preceded by a damn hot curry and followed by beddy-byes with an extra blanket.

A hot curry, lots of whisky with honey, lemon, glycerine and hot water and a warm bed will cure nearly all common ailments, and a few rare ones. Actually ones own immune system will do the job but while its working one might as well enjoy the experience.
  • Options

malcolmg said:

Blue_rog said:

malcolmg said:

Blue_rog said:

First (semi) acknowledgement that your fraudulent independence campaign has hit the buffers. I don't know whether to be pleased or feel slightly sad.

Truth will out. And the endgame is that Britain will be independent and whole -not balkanised by self-serving EU sycophants like Salmond stoking division for their own gain.
    You are not too bright are you. You swallowed your student union card again, next you will be telling me you are manning the barricades.
  • Options
    MikeK said:

@Southam Observer

" I guess a lot will depend on the manifesto that UKIP eventually comes up with"

UKIP is the party for the ignored, the disenfranchised and the fed up. In many ways it is analogous to the Labour Party in its early years, it exists to give a voice to those ignored by the big parties.

UKIP are a classic populist party, picking up support from the disgruntled everywhere. Disgruntlement does not make for a coherent message or government, nor will it make a coherent campaign.

At most they will take a handful of seats (I forecast zero) but may alter the outcomes in a number of others, so they will be able to stay disgruntled.

Any fool or fruitcake can moan, but few can plan and deliver a coherent plan for government.
    I am not gong to argue with that, except to say I don't think anyone, not even their most ardent supporters expect them to need a coherent plan for government. UKIP may take a few seats, I'd be very pleased if they do, they may not. What for sure they are doing is giving a voice to those who the big parties want to ignore. I think they will continue to grow because of it.

Oh, on the subject of a coherent plan for government I haven't seen one from any of the three major parties and as another coalition government seems to be on the cards I don't suppose we shall either.
    UKIP ae goiving a voice to some very nasty people. I only hope that sane rational moderate people do not let them win any seats and vote accordingly. It will bring shame on our nation if UKIP win a single seat.
    Another stupid crash of a statement by #Flightpath

The only nasty person/s are you and your ilk.
    Oh yes? When did I last tell Lenny Henry to get back to Aftica? Or should that be 'bongo bongo land'?

And then there in Kevin Doherty.
    Now I know there are some shockers in all parties but not one yet who has posed for a picture on a bed with a naked man who sniffs white powder from the back of a nude woman.
    http://politicalscrapbook.net/2014/05/nazi-tattoo-ukip-candidate-in-mystery-powder-naked-photoshoot/

''The tattoo on O'Doherty's left arm appears to be of a German Third Reich eagle, and a plane flying threateningly above a Jewish star of David.''
    http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/ukip-candidate-kevin-odoherty-nude-nazi-tattoo-photo-scandal-1448981
    But don't worry, ''There is no suggestion that illegal drugs were consumed.''
This discussion has been closed.