Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Miliband’s Achilles’ heel: those who backed Brown

SystemSystem Posts: 11,688
edited August 2014 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Miliband’s Achilles’ heel: those who backed Brown

One assertion that receives a regular hearing on politicalbetting is that Labour is in an extremely strong position to win the next election thanks to that group of voters who switched from Lib Dem to Labour in 2010.  They’ve been consistent in their support ever since and remain favourably disposed towards Miliband and Labour.  Add in that UKIP’s support has come disproportionately from Con, that …

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195
    First?
  • Options
    Y0kelY0kel Posts: 2,307
    Iraq:

Notable that the US has reportedly struck at ISIS targets around the Mosul Dam. This is high on the return list for those ranged against the ISIS forces. Control of the dam means the potential for great economic & destructive power so it may be expected that there will be concerted attempts to seize it from ISIS and equally determined attempts to hold it.
  • Options
    audreyanneaudreyanne Posts: 1,376
    At last someone permitted to debunk, slightly, this pb obsession about the LibDem 2010 voters. An excellent article David, and I wonder how long it will be before Mike disagrees?!

I want to be cheeky and distil your argument into one word: churn.

Churn is why the 2010 LibDem voter obsession is wrong. It's a static rather than dynamic approach to the electorate. It's a monolithic, highly simplistic, view of who voted historically, and who will do so, and how, in the present and future. Containing a grain of truth does not make it true.

YouGov and IpsosMori now have the two main parties level pegging. I'm 90%+ certain the Tories are on course for outright Government in GE2015.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,125
    David, good post. I have said for a long time that in 2010, there were a sizeable number who gave credit to Brown for saving the world. Ed Miliband and Ed Balls have done nothing to hold those voters, whereas there is a good case to make for those same voters giving credit to Cameron and Osborne for turning round the economy into the best in the G8.....
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,344
    edited August 2014
    I've always been pretty open about the fact that I'm not too worried about retaining the Red Liberals (who are in general very politically-motivated people) but think that Labour success depends on traditional Labour turnout (which turns out on a good day but often has other priorities).

Marquee Mark misunderstands David's point (or is maybe making a different one) - it's not that 2010 Labour voters are flirting with Osborne (see the polls for the negligible Lab->Con or indeed Con->Lab switching), but that they're traditionally less sure they'll bother.

Indeed some party members don't always bother to vote and see it as a social thing - I remember back in 1995 when I was a Euro-candidate, a branch of Hastings Labour Party called a routine branch meeting ON ELECTION DAY - "We enjoy our branch meetings and felt it was a shame to cancel". The Tories have the same problem. My guess is that election fever and better Labour GOTV (the absence of Tory ground war since 2010 has to be a problem) will get the vote out, but we'll see.

I think that the threat to Labour of Greens is modest in marginals, by the way (cf. Ashcroft's marginal poll on Broxtowe to see what I mean) - I know plenty of people who would quite like to vote for a party left of Labour but they too are quite politically realistic. But they can soak up 1-2%, which could be critical.

• Options
    David: thanks for another interesting article -- if a PB article says "David Herdson" at the bottom I know it will always repay careful reading!

Nick: thanks for your insight too, but I just want to disagree slightly about the "Tory Ground War". I live in one of the top 10 Tory targets for 2015 and a couple of weeks ago the Tory candidate (who has set up his own website for the election) called round in person with a four-page survey form for me to fill in; it had been pre-printed with my name and address, which suggests a fair degree of organisation I would think. My parents-in-law, who live in the same constituency, received a similar visit yesterday.

Now I would readily concede that two sightings of a Tory PPC do not constitute a fully-fledged ground-war but I haven't even received any literature from any of the other candidates... Maybe the Tory ground-war is highly concentrated on the seats they need to win for a majority in GE2015, which would explain why my constituency seems to be getting a lot more attention than Broxtowe may be.
  • Options
    FinancierFinancier Posts: 3,916
    Quite often when looking at the polls for regional support for UKIP, the highest supporting areas are the North and the Midlands.

Usually, most polls show almost overwhelming support for Labour in the North, so would even significant losses to UKIP matter and have any real effect on the result?

The Midlands and Yorks & Humber where more seats are marginals may show a greater impact.

The EUROS do not provide many extra clues as both LAB and UKIP increased their vote mainly at the expense of the LDs and the Cons respectively.

So are there more shy UKIPpers for 2015 among Labour or will they return to their tribal loyalty?

• Options
    MaxUMaxU Posts: 87
    Hague did not go backwards in 2001. The Conservative share of the vote actually went up from 31% to 33%, from which they made the princely net gain of one seat.
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    If 78% of the survey have a 7 to 10 out of 10 certainty to vote, then doesn't that work out right?

If we assume a midpoint of 8.5 out of 10 then 85% of 78% = 66.3%; about the turnout in recent elections. Maybe people are being accurate about it!

Also, I wonder about past voting recall. We know that polls find more 2010 UKIP voters than expected, so weightings need adjustment. It seems intuitive that people are more accurate with recent events than distant ones, so recall of 2010 voting memory may have been more accurate in 2011 than at present.

But once again a good article by DH. All parties need to hold onto their core vote.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,850
    Financier said:

Quite often when looking at the polls for regional support for UKIP, the highest supporting areas are the North and the Midlands.

Usually, most polls show almost overwhelming support for Labour in the North, so would even significant losses to UKIP matter and have any real effect on the result?

The Midlands and Yorks & Humber where more seats are marginals may show a greater impact.

The EUROS do not provide many extra clues as both LAB and UKIP increased their vote mainly at the expense of the LDs and the Cons respectively.

So are there more shy UKIPpers for 2015 among Labour or will they return to their tribal loyalty?

Where UKIP could cause problems for Labour is in the kind of safeish Labour seat which voted Lab 45%, Con 25%, Lib Dem 15%, Others 15%, in which non-Labour voters decide to back UKIP to beat Labour.

• Options
    Sean_F said:

Financier said:

Where UKIP could cause problems for Labour is in the kind of safeish Labour seat which voted Lab 45%, Con 25%, Lib Dem 15%, Others 15%, in which non-Labour voters decide to back UKIP to beat Labour.

Why would LD voters tactically vote kipper?

and isn't a good percentage of the kipper vote in Labour seats from former BNP voters, so not likely to alter majorities much?

I think the biggest threat to Labour is the lack of enthusiasm for change. That sheet of paper has been blank too long.

• Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,008
    edited August 2014

Sean_F said:

Financier said:

and isn't a good percentage of the kipper vote in Labour seats from former BNP voters, so not likely to alter majorities much?

I think the biggest threat to Labour is the lack of enthusiasm for change. That sheet of paper has been blank too long.

I’m waiting for some sensible policies from Labour. An energy price freeze doesn’t seem that; it can’t last for ever, or even for a Parliament! What does Labour propose for the longer term?
    And for the railways?
    Are we going to go back to Robin Cook’s ethical foreign policy?
    What is proposed for the NHS? Are the Lansley “reforms” to be undone or what? I’d rather not, incidentally. lay reps on CCG’s as well as nurses and others would be better.
    I could go on.
  • Options

Sean_F said:

Financier said:

To beat Labour. Many Lib Dem voters in 2010 were None of the Above.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

Sean_F said:

Financier said:

But UKIP are not the new broom, they are the party of Neil Hamilton and Roger Helmer. The epitome of what NOTA voters do not want.

UKIP on zero seats is my prediction still.
  • Options
    Sorry if this is old news but I have just noticed Nigel Farage is standing for election in South Thanet.

Paddy Power goes 6/5 UKIP. Must be a good bet. And they permitted me a generous 60 quid.
  • Options
    not_on_firenot_on_fire Posts: 4,341
    The Conservatives did not go back in 2001 compared to 1997.

In 1997 they got 165 seats and 30.7% of the vote
    In 2001 they got 166 seats and 31.7% of the vote.
  • Options
    ThomasNasheThomasNashe Posts: 4,980
    Yes, I sometimes discern a rather complacent assumption that the 2010 Brown voters are in the bag. In particular, the Labour results in Scotland were extraordinarily impressive given the context of that election, and I think it rather unlikely that Labour will do as well in Scotland in 2015.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

Sean_F said:

Financier said:

I think the overwhelming majority of voters who are prepared to vote tactically to keep Ed-is-Useless out of Downing Street are hawking their wares on this site. I notice that not one of them claims to have voted Labour in 2005 or even 1997. 'Nuff said.

• Options
    david_herdsondavid_herdson Posts: 17,419
    MaxU said:

Hague did not go backwards in 2001. The Conservative share of the vote actually went up from 31% to 33%, from which they made the princely net gain of one seat.

Although the share of the vote went up, this was due only to a significant fall in turnout. In terms of the number of votes cast (which was the context in which the comment in the leader was made), the Conservatives fell from 9.6m in 1997 to 8.35m in 2001.
  • Options

Sean_F said:

Sean_F said:

Financier said:

But UKIP are not the new broom, they are the party of Neil Hamilton and Roger Helmer. The epitome of what NOTA voters do not want.

UKIP aren't in charge. NOTA voters want to kick the people in charge. Neil Hamilton and Roger Helmer aren't bogeymen to them.

• Options
    EasterrossEasterross Posts: 1,915
    Morning all and an excellent thread David.

As Thomas Nashe has just mentioned, Labour's Achilles point next year will be Scotland. In 2010 there was an element of "We know he's an idiot but he's our idiot" about Brown and the Labour vote in Scotland. The following year they lost seats to the SNP they had held since WWII. Labour has not yet recovered in Scotland from 2011. The Tories in Scotland have suffered from having the most evenly spread votes so only 1 seat for 412,000 votes but 15 second places and currently Baxter is predicting 5 of those will become Tory gains.

The Scottish Tories are rising from a very low base but 20 consecutive council by-elections with increased Tory vote share all across Scotland is very encouraging. In 1979 after the last NO vote we came close to wiping the SNP out (they went from 11 to 2 seats) so who knows what may happen if 5 weeks today we are reflecting on another No vote.
  • Options
    not_on_firenot_on_fire Posts: 4,341
    edited August 2014

MaxU said:

Although the share of the vote went up, this was due only to a significant fall in turnout. In terms of the number of votes cast (which was the context in which the comment in the leader was made), the Conservatives fell from 9.6m in 1997 to 8.35m in 2001.
    That's just silly, as by that logic you would conclude that all the other parties also suffered a loss of support in 2001 compared to 1997.

2001 is simply not an example of your claim, which appears to be based on a single data point.
  • Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787
    The latest JackW 2015 General Election ARSE projection and JackW Dozen will be published on Tuesday 19th August at 9am.

KW for JackW.
  • Options

As Thomas Nashe has just mentioned, Labour's Achilles point next year will be Scotland. In 2010 there was an element of "We know he's an idiot but he's our idiot" about Brown and the Labour vote in Scotland. The following year they lost seats to the SNP they had held since WWII. Labour has not yet recovered in Scotland from 2011. The Tories in Scotland have suffered from having the most evenly spread votes so only 1 seat for 412,000 votes but 15 second places and currently Baxter is predicting 5 of those will become Tory gains.

The Scottish Tories are rising from a very low base but 20 consecutive council by-elections with increased Tory vote share all across Scotland is very encouraging. In 1979 after the last NO vote we came close to wiping the SNP out (they went from 11 to 2 seats) so who knows what may happen if 5 weeks today we are reflecting on another No vote.

Unless it's a very bad defeat for Yes, I'd expect the SNP to do markedly better than in 2010.

I think the best chance for Tory gains would be at the expense of the Lib Dems.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

Sean_F said:

Sean_F said:

Financier said:

UKIP aren't in charge. NOTA voters want to kick the people in charge. Neil Hamilton and Roger Helmer aren't bogeymen to them.

NOTA includes lots of parties that are not in charge.

And UKIP contains people like Hamilton, Helmer and Bloom. They are not a revolutionary insurgent party, they are reactionaries.

UKIP are not going to take safe Labour seats in the North and Midlands by getting votes off LDs and others.
  • Options

MaxU said:

That's just silly, as by that logic you would conclude that all the other parties also suffered a loss of support in 2001 compared to 1997.

2001 is simply not an example of your claim, which appears to be based on a single data point.
    Why is it silly? The other parties *did* suffer a loss of support - what else does a fall in turnout mean? There may have been a general satisfaction with how Labour was performing in 2001 (hence the landslide), but was there the enthusiasm of the 'Things Can Only Get Better' days? No, there wasn't, as the newspaper headlines covering the result accurately identified.

I'm not making a general point about what usually happens; I'm making one about what can happen (though if I'd wanted to, it can't be ignored that at the election after losing power, Labour lost 1.5m voters in 1955, the Tories lost 600k in 1966, Labour lost 600k in Feb 1974 (even while returning to power), and the Tories lost 1.5m in Oct 1974, in addition to the examples already cited. At every election after a party has lost power, they've lost votes too. Now, that's not a golden rule - there are too many variables for that - but it is striking.
  • Options
    Edin_RokzEdin_Rokz Posts: 516
    Wow! Isn't it lucky that DC promoted Gove from Education to the Whips office before the exam results were published and a couple of months before the Conference.

Then there's Hague, doing things which are well regarded around the world, and even a few months previously, had been reselected by his constituency party, suddenly announces his intention to resign his seat at the next election to spend more time with his family rather than Hollywood film stars.

No, never, ever would our beloved, Old Etonian, Bullingdonian, etc. PM do anything suspicously devious to maintain his political position. It is just a far, far better thing that his friends lay down their political lives for his
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 41,997
    JackW said:

The latest JackW 2015 General Election ARSE projection and JackW Dozen will be published on Tuesday 19th August at 9am.

KW for JackW.

I thought we were to be spared your drivel for a blessed few weeks
  • Options

More likely we will have 3 times the amount of pandas as Tory MP's.
  • Options
    SquareRootSquareRoot Posts: 7,095
    malcolmg said:

JackW said:

KW for JackW.

your lack of self awareness is amazing.
  • Options
    JackW said:

KW for JackW.

Good to have you back!

Your final McARSE was a little close to the 40% line and 80% line for Shadsys bands. I have placed my final sindy bets accordingly.
  • Options

Sean_F said:

Sean_F said:

Financier said:

I think the overwhelming majority of voters who are prepared to vote tactically to keep Ed-is-Useless out of Downing Street are hawking their wares on this site. I notice that not one of them claims to have voted Labour in 2005 or even 1997. 'Nuff said.

Ed's problem is not that there is a significant tactical vote against Labour; it's that there's no significant non-tactical vote for them. The positive support for Miliband in particular is thin and there is a serious risk that people who did vote Labour in 2010 will either not vote for anyone in 2015 or will vote for another party, probably one outside the main three.
  • Options

MaxU said:

Why is it silly? The other parties *did* suffer a loss of support - what else does a fall in turnout mean? There may have been a general satisfaction with how Labour was performing in 2001 (hence the landslide), but was there the enthusiasm of the 'Things Can Only Get Better' days? No, there wasn't, as the newspaper headlines covering the result accurately identified.

I'm not making a general point about what usually happens; I'm making one about what can happen (though if I'd wanted to, it can't be ignored that at the election after losing power, Labour lost 1.5m voters in 1955, the Tories lost 600k in 1966, Labour lost 600k in Feb 1974 (even while returning to power), and the Tories lost 1.5m in Oct 1974, in addition to the examples already cited. At every election after a party has lost power, they've lost votes too. Now, that's not a golden rule - there are too many variables for that - but it is striking.
    It is indeed striking. So is the fact that since 2010 we have had the first coalition since the introduction of Universal Suffrage in which the larger Party has made no effort whatsoever to swallow the smaller one (because of Europe, I presume). How far, therefore, we can use precedents as comfort blankets is very unclear to me.

• Options
    hucks67hucks67 Posts: 758
    I think we should keep focused on any polls in marginals. If Labour continue to hold a significant lead in the marginals they need to win, they should atleast be the largest party. Personally I think Labour will win 300+ seats and be enough ahead of the Tories that another Con/Lib coalition would not be viable. If I were putting money on, it would be a Labour majority, a Lab/Lib coalition or a Labour+ Nats/Unionists coalition. If Scotland votes No, it might be attractive to Labour to form a coalition with parties interested in devolution of powers to devolved assemblies. The downside is that English votes might not be happy with it.
  • Options

Sean_F said:

Sean_F said:

Financier said:

Ed's problem is not that there is a significant tactical vote against Labour; it's that there's no significant non-tactical vote for them. The positive support for Miliband in particular is thin and there is a serious risk that people who did vote Labour in 2010 will either not vote for anyone in 2015 or will vote for another party, probably one outside the main three.
    Sorry, David, but I need to be persuaded that that is anything other than Tory spin. After all, the Greens took a seat off Labour last time, and I don't see a "Red Kipper" faction trying to flog its wares anywhere.

• Options

Which are the 5 seats in Scotland that Baxter thinks may go Tory? I would want to look at the odds but seems a reasonable punt.

A No vote will damage the SNP through a recrimination driven post mortem, and the most pro Union party may well get some bonus from the Scottish electorate freely backing the union in the first vote that they have had for independence.
  • Options

Sean_F said:

Sean_F said:

Sean_F said:

Financier said:

And UKIP contains people like Hamilton, Helmer and Bloom. They are not a revolutionary insurgent party, they are reactionaries.

UKIP are not going to take safe Labour seats in the North and Midlands by getting votes off LDs and others.
    Somebody has to be voting for UKIP, in Dudley North, Grimsby, and Doncaster. If UKIP aren't getting votes off Lib Dems and Others, who are they getting them from?

• Options
    MikeSmithsonMikeSmithson Posts: 7,382

Sean_F said:

Sean_F said:

Financier said:

It would have been much better if you could have supported your theory with more comprehensive data analysis.

Remember how the pollsters all understated Labour in 2010 and the general theory that few were going to vote for a party that was led by Brown.

You understate the bigger electoral dynamic of ANTI-CON voting which will be on a big scale. Watch the next phase of Ashcroft marginals polling.

I'm off to Holyrood for my session at the Festival of Politics.

• Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787
    For malcolmg and foxinsoxuk

I'll be placing a few posts on JackWs behalf, under KW for JackW, whilst he's away and using his account so Pb will be aware they are authentic. Sorry for any confusion.

KW for JackW
  • Options
    What do people think about the Police working with the media to tip them off about where they will be carrying out searches ? This is before any real investigation has started and where the name of the person is broadcast across the media, with details of what they have been accused of.

Personally I hope the person concerned sues the Police for a huge sum of money, which I think they have a good chance of winning. It will teach them a lesson that they should not be naming suspects before they have charged them. And they should certainly not be working with the media, advising them where they will be carrying out searches.

I know the crimes being alleged are horrible, but if we allow the Police to name suspects before charge and to actively work with the media, where do we draw the line. Why not other types of crime e.g drug dealing, burglaries, fraud ? Why does it seem that celebrities are given worse treatment ? Are the Police looking for publicity for themselves and not really trying to see if other accusers come forward.
  • Options

It is indeed striking. So is the fact that since 2010 we have had the first coalition since the introduction of Universal Suffrage in which the larger Party has made no effort whatsoever to swallow the smaller one (because of Europe, I presume). How far, therefore, we can use precedents as comfort blankets is very unclear to me.

With respect, it looks more like you're the one using a comfort blanket. The figures are in the polls and the election results. Getting on for half of Labour's current support are dissatisfied with Miliband, and the proportion is even higher among Labour's 2010 vote. Do you think this won't matter? And it's not just Miliband - the figures for economic credibility are not good either.

Likewise, was it just a coincidence that earlier this year, Labour became the first opposition not to win the European elections since 1984? Yes, you could point to the Tories also finishing outside the top two for the first time ever and that would be fair on one level, but on another it would be a 'squirrel' distraction. Other election results have been similarly underwhelming, all the more so given that both other main Westminster parties are in government.

As an aside, it's not the first coalition where the large fish hasn't tried to swallow the small one: the Tories made no effort to take in the (Lloyd George) Liberal Nationals during or after the 1918-22 (or 1916-22) coalition.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,311
    Spent yesterday at the test and going again today. Its not easy but someone has to do it.

In my view England could declare now and win this test. The Indians are shot. Some of their batting yesterday would have embarrassed their women's team. Binny in particular looked like he was going to get out every ball he faced.

Today, it would end the match faster if England were actually bowled out at some point. The bowling will have to be better than it was yesterday.
  • Options
    Kissinger said that power was the great aphrodisiac but only 1.2% of Scottish women describe Salmond as attractive.

http://i100.independent.co.uk/article/why-women-have-a-problem-with-alex-salmond-in-four-charts--lkwmUHxeme
  • Options
    Andy_CookeAndy_Cooke Posts: 4,818

MaxU said:

David's completely right.
    His argument is based on the fact that lost support can go to "not voting" as well as directly to an opposing party, and that has a very real effect on both the total vote and individual constituency votes.

In which case, we can't use numbers that deliberately ignore the "did not vote" score (as the percentage ones do). It may well be the case that the Conservatives will lose more voters to "not voting" than Labour, but that doesn't mean we can ignore this effect.

For completeness, the full voting scores (including DNV as a category) for 1997 and 2001 went like this:
    1997:
    Con 21.9%
    Lab 30.8%
    LD 11.9%
    Others 6.7%
    DNV 28.7%>

2001:
    Con 18.8%
    Lab 24.2%
    LD 10.8%
    Others 5.6%
    DNV 40.6%

Hague dropped more than 3% of the electorate in comparison to 1997. He was helped by the fact that Blair mislaid over 6% of the electorate at the same time.

(For comparison, in 1992:
    Con 32.6%
    Lab 26.7%
    LD 13.9%
    Others 4.5%
    DNV 22.3%)
  • Options
    saddenedsaddened Posts: 2,245
    As is usual, can we all please just ignore trolling. Thanks.
  • Options
    YBarddCwscYBarddCwsc Posts: 7,172
    "If I were putting money on, it would be a Labour majority, a Lab/Lib coalition or a Labour+ Nats/Unionists coalition. "

I don't know what will happen at a very open election in 2015. However, after the bloodbath, every party will be acutely aware of what has happened to the LibDems as the junior coalition party.

My hunch is that there is absolutely way that Nationalists will enter a Coalition with Labour, If indeed Labour are the biggest party. They will surely oppose everything from the sidelines, and look to reap a huge electoral dividend from the unpopular decisions that will be forced upon the Government. Much safer, much better politics.

My guess is -- if you're putting money on it -- minority Government, either Lab or Con.

Why would any small party put their neck in the noose vacated by the LibDems ?

• Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,891
    Easterross

"We know he's an idiot but he's our idiot" about Brown and the Labour vote in Scotland"

You really don't have a high opinion of your fellow Scots. Anyone looking for a reason why the Tories are down to sub panda numbers need look no further than your post which I suspect is typical of the Tory mindset in Scotland
  • Options

With respect, it looks more like you're the one using a comfort blanket. The figures are in the polls and the election results. Getting on for half of Labour's current support are dissatisfied with Miliband, and the proportion is even higher among Labour's 2010 vote. Do you think this won't matter? And it's not just Miliband - the figures for economic credibility are not good either.

Likewise, was it just a coincidence that earlier this year, Labour became the first opposition not to win the European elections since 1984? Yes, you could point to the Tories also finishing outside the top two for the first time ever and that would be fair on one level, but on another it would be a 'squirrel' distraction. Other election results have been similarly underwhelming, all the more so given that both other main Westminster parties are in government.

As an aside, it's not the first coalition where the large fish hasn't tried to swallow the small one: the Tories made no effort to take in the (Lloyd George) Liberal Nationals during or after the 1918-22 (or 1916-22) coalition.
    Hmm. Haven't got time to do my revision on the Coupon Election but I am far from sure that Lloyd George led much more than a fan club.

Your interpretation of the figures is perfectly valid, David, of course it is. All I'm saying is it's not the only one - we all choose which figures we want to interpret! As others on here have noticed, this is a pretty dim selection of political leaders and it is always salutary for people outside a political Party to ask themselves: why on earth did they pick him (or her, of course)? In the case of Ed-Is-Useless, it was because he could hold the Blairites and Old Labour together for a few more years.

More generally, Globalization was a dagger in the heart of the 1945 settlement and in some ways it's amazing it has staggered on as long as it has. Whether a Government in the pay of the drug companies and the US Healthcare industry is the best one to dismantle it, is at best a moot point.

• Options
    edited August 2014
    Andy Cooke

"David's completely right."

It is a fact of life that Labour voters are great conservers of energy and don't bother to vote when the result is a forgone conclusion. In 1997 though it probably was they were so DESPERATE to get rid of the Tories they wouldn't take any chances. (Who could blame them after '92)

In 2001 and 2005 they were sufficiently confident that toiling down to the polling station was just not necessary. It's as simple as that
  • Options
    edited August 2014

It would have been much better if you could have supported your theory with more comprehensive data analysis.

Remember how the pollsters all understated Labour in 2010 and the general theory that few were going to vote for a party that was led by Brown.

You understate the bigger electoral dynamic of ANTI-CON voting which will be on a big scale. Watch the next phase of Ashcroft marginals polling.

Few did vote for a party led by Brown: Labour polled worse than at any election since 1935, bar 1983.

I'm not convinced by the tactical voting argument. There comes a point where people start thinking not just about who they'd like to vote against but the consequences of who they're giving their vote to, in so doing. The evidence from the polls as to the confidence the public have in them or in their leader is that once that starts happening, voters will peel off. Is it a coincidence that Labour's VI has recovered since the May elections - or put another way, it fell going into the elections (and they weren't even particularly meaningful votes).

To take another example, look at YouGov's leader perceptions:

Which would make the best PM? (12-13/8/2014)

DC - 34
    EM - 20
    NC - 5
    DK - 41

EM characteristics (11-12/8/2014 - respondents could pick as many as they wanted):

Sticks to what he believes in: 16%
    Honest: 17%
    Strong: 5%
    In touch with ordinary people: 20%
    Good in a crisis: 4%
    Decisive: 5%
    A natural leader: 3%
    Charismatic: 4%

The perception is of someone whose heart might be in the right place but would be pushed about and incapable. Are so many people so strongly anti-Tory that huge numbers will back Ed Miliband to be PM despite thinking all of the above (and that is what a tactical vote for Labour means, irrespective of how it's dressed up)? Or is it more likely - as has happened at real elections - that large numbers of those dissatisfied with the government will simply sit it out altogether or find another outlet for their protest?
  • Options
    Excellent piece David.

Just to mark your cards everyone.

Lord Ashcroft @LordAshcroft · 14m

My commentary on @MayorofLondon and the Uxbridge constituency will be on @ConHome at 11am with detailed polling at http://lordashcroftpolls.com

I'll probably do a thread on it around 2pm.
  • Options
    Rexel56Rexel56 Posts: 807
    Reading this thread reminds me that it's about five years since I first started reading and occasionally contributing to pb. I recall thinking that one Rod Crosby was a bit of a lefty for repeatedly predicting the Tories would fall short of a majority.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,488
    edited August 2014
    As the football season begins today.

Here's my tips for today

Swansea to beat Manchester United

Crystal Palace to beat Arsenal.

I've also backed a seven fold accumulator.

Man U, Everton, Hull, Stoke, Sunderland, Spurs and Arsenal to all win.

A £10 stake should return you approx £2,000
  • Options

Few did vote for a party led by Brown: Labour polled worse than at any election since 1935, bar 1983.

I'm not convinced by the tactical voting argument. There comes a point where people start thinking not just about who they'd like to vote against but the consequences of who they're giving their vote to, in so doing. The evidence from the polls as to the confidence the public have in them or in their leader is that once that starts happening, voters will peel off. Is it a coincidence that Labour's VI has recovered since the May elections - or put another way, it fell going into the elections (and they weren't even particularly meaningful votes).

To take another example, look at YouGov's leader perceptions:

Which would make the best PM? (12-13/8/2014)

DC - 34
    EM - 20
    NC - 5
    DK - 41

EM characteristics (11-12/8/2014 - respondents could pick as many as they wanted):

Sticks to what he believes in: 16%
    Honest: 17%
    Strong: 5%
    In touch with ordinary people: 20%
    Good in a crisis: 4%
    Decisive: 5%
    A natural leader: 3%
    Charismatic: 4%

The perception is of someone whose heart might be in the right place but would be pushed about and incapable. Are so many people so strongly anti-Tory that huge numbers will back Ed Miliband to be PM despite thinking all of the above (and that is what a tactical vote for Labour means, irrespective of how it's dressed up)? Or is it more likely - as has happened at real elections - that large numbers of those dissatisfied with the government will simply sit it out altogether or find another outlet for their protest?
    Surely the real test is not how bad Miliband's numbers re, but how much worse they are than Brown's?

• Options
    Sean_F said:

Sean_F said:

Sean_F said:

Sean_F said:

Financier said:

Somebody has to be voting for UKIP, in Dudley North, Grimsby, and Doncaster. If UKIP aren't getting votes off Lib Dems and Others, who are they getting them from?

A variety of sources including BNP and English Democrats, and I suspect some from the big three and NOTA. But not enough to win a seat.

UKIP are going to be one of the also rans, and I am happy with that.
  • Options

"If I were putting money on, it would be a Labour majority, a Lab/Lib coalition or a Labour+ Nats/Unionists coalition. "

You make a very good point. But I would say that people can learn from Nick Clegg and his colleagues mistakes. They have been far too friendly with their Tory colleagues and have made policy mistakes. Why agree to University tuition fee changes, when you have signed specific pledges ?

For a politician to agree to something which would make them look totally untrustworthy, is just stupid. Whatever the merits of the new system, the Lib Dems should have taken longer to go out for a public consulation. There was no immediate need to make the change, as the government pay the universities anyway. There is just a liability created, which is debt paid back by the student over a period of time. It is quite possible that the new system will cost the government more that the old system, if the debt write offs are at a certain level.

The Lib Dems act as the whipping boys and that is how the public see them. That is why they are so low in the polls, nothing to do with coalition. If Clegg and his colleagues had been much stronger in standing up for their own position and negotiating harder, they would be doing much better. It was not as if the Tories would break the coalition, because of the fixed term parliament act.

Because of the Lib Dems fortress strategy I think they will hold onto 30+ seats, but they will lose votes in many areas, which will set them back for along time to come. Before 2010, the Lib Dems looked like they might be spreading their appeal, challenging Labour and Tories. But this has been affected by their damaged reputation.

• Options

Hmm. Haven't got time to do my revision on the Coupon Election but I am far from sure that Lloyd George led much more than a fan club.

Your interpretation of the figures is perfectly valid, David, of course it is. All I'm saying is it's not the only one - we all choose which figures we want to interpret! As others on here have noticed, this is a pretty dim selection of political leaders and it is always salutary for people outside a political Party to ask themselves: why on earth did they pick him (or her, of course)? In the case of Ed-Is-Useless, it was because he could hold the Blairites and Old Labour together for a few more years.

More generally, Globalization was a dagger in the heart of the 1945 settlement and in some ways it's amazing it has staggered on as long as it has. Whether a Government in the pay of the drug companies and the US Healthcare industry is the best one to dismantle it, is at best a moot point.

The piece actually started as 'The Insipid Force meets the Wobbly Object' but morphed when I was writing it as I didn't really have enough space to do a full head-to-head comparison, and I thought the Miliband aspect was the more important given that oppositions rarely win by default (though it is possible and perhaps particularly so this time).

I agree about globalization and the 1945 settlement (across Europe and beyond, not just in the UK), and I have a good piece waiting on that very subject to be written as soon as I've a quiet weekend to put it up.

I agree as well about leaders being chosen for many reasons, though those chosen for internal party ones do tend to suffer at the polls, even if all things considered, it was the least-worst option.
  • Options
    Roger said:

Andy Cooke

"David's completely right."

It is a fact of life that Labour voters are great conservers of energy and don't bother to vote when the result is a forgone conclusion. In 1997 though it probably was they were so DESPERATE to get rid of the Tories they wouldn't take any chances. (Who could blame them after '92)

In 2001 and 2005 they were sufficiently confident that toiling down to the polling station was just not necessary. It's as simple as that

I remember the same level of complacency in the Conservatives in the run-up to 1997, that the voters would turn out when it mattered; they didn't.

(Not that it was just the Tories suffering from complacency; Labour was jumping at hallucinations of the ghosts of 1992 at the same time, though in their case it was a spur rather than a reason to relax).
  • Options
    EasterrossEasterross Posts: 1,915
    Roger said:

Easterross

"We know he's an idiot but he's our idiot" about Brown and the Labour vote in Scotland"

You really don't have a high opinion of your fellow Scots. Anyone looking for a reason why the Tories are down to sub panda numbers need look no further than your post which I suspect is typical of the Tory mindset in Scotland

Roger welcome back. We have missed your musings from Monte Carlo. For what Brown did to the UK economy he should be locked up and the key thrown away. I am fairly confident that anyone who voted for Gordon Brown in 2010 would never have voted Tory, certainly in Scotland. As for the typical WWC Scot's voter, ask him/her what Labour's policy on almost anything is and they wont have a clue. Most don't know the name of the MP they turn out and vote for every 5 years. The Labour Party keeps many of them in poverty but they keep turning out and voting for more of the same.

As for Scots Tories, how do you explain our vote has been increasing constantly since 2011?
  • Options
    OT. If the South Yorkshire police had devoted a fraction as much time to finding out who in their number was responsible for the deaths of 81 football fans twenty five years ago as they are now to whether an ex pop star did or didn't touch someone's bottom thirty years ago they might not be the subject of such vilification and ridicule.
  • Options
    taffystaffys Posts: 9,753

Plenty of betting opportunities if that's the case. Zero seats for UKIP is now longer odds that 1-5 seats at betfair.
  • Options
    Roger said:

OT. If the South Yorkshire police had devoted a fraction as much time to finding out who in their number was responsible for the deaths of 81 football fans twenty five years ago as they are now to whether an ex pop star did or didn't touch someone's bottom thirty years ago they might not be the subject of such vilification and ridicule.

If you'd spent any time researching how many actually died, that comment would be taken more seriously.

And on that waspish note, I'm off to paint a house. Have fun, all.
  • Options
    volcanopetevolcanopete Posts: 2,078
    Isn't what David describing part of the general erosion of the 2 -party system since the '50s,part of a long-term trend?
  • Options
    Rexel56Rexel56 Posts: 807
    Increasingly of the view that the GE will depend on Labour's success in motivating vote to get out and do so. This will be part targeted policies, part Tory demonisation and part ground operation.

Can anyone point me to sources that describe how the party at constituency level plans and executes their GOTV campaign, what techniques are used to get someone to vote by post or in person and whether the plan flexes on the day based on what's happening...

Any help appreciated, cynical comments on voting fraud not required!
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    With only 32 days to go until the referendum, Alex Salmond has discovered he has a problem with the Scottish electorate.

Quite a big problem. A sizeable meteor has just crash-landed on Planet Tartan, blocking his route to power.

And it is this: Salmond has an issue with women. The majority of Scottish women do not like him. They just don’t.

For years I have been labouring under the delusion that it was just me, my mum, my sister, my gal pals, most of my aunts, the lady who bakes the cakes for the church in the village and my old boss, the Scottish commentator Deborah Orr, who couldn’t stand him.
    Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/debate/article-2726381/JAN-MOIR-Salmond-s-fatal-flaw-We-women-think-s-got-charm-turnip.html#ixzz3AXiCRFuc

• Options

malcolmg said:

JackW said:

KW for JackW.

your lack of self awareness is amazing.
    Do you ever post anything informative
  • Options
    FalseFlagFalseFlag Posts: 1,801
    In 2010 I got the impression Labour were able to scare a lot of public sector workers and benefit recipients to the polls. I doubt that will work so much this time. Also the electoral process is now less open to fraud, so the result will be more in line with the polls.

In 1992 there was a national determination not to allow Labour in to destroy the economy again. I suspect the same will happen again but still not convinced it will be enough for outright majority.
  • Options
    saddened said:

As is usual, can we all please just ignore trolling. Thanks.

Don't fear you will be ignored
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

With only 32 days to go until the referendum, Alex Salmond has discovered he has a problem with the Scottish electorate.

Quite a big problem. A sizeable meteor has just crash-landed on Planet Tartan, blocking his route to power.

And it is this: Salmond has an issue with women. The majority of Scottish women do not like him. They just don’t.

For years I have been labouring under the delusion that it was just me, my mum, my sister, my gal pals, most of my aunts, the lady who bakes the cakes for the church in the village and my old boss, the Scottish commentator Deborah Orr, who couldn’t stand him.
    Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/debate/article-2726381/JAN-MOIR-Salmond-s-fatal-flaw-We-women-think-s-got-charm-turnip.html#ixzz3AXiCRFuc

LOL, you are certainly persistent posting drivel from the Daily Heil. Playing to southerners is about your level.
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    Easterross.

"As for Scots Tories, how do you explain our vote has been increasing constantly since 2011?"

Thank you for your welcome.

Some weeks ago I went to a little fete in in a very pretty port in Alec Salmond's constituency up from Aberdeen and I was amazed at the number of ex pat English people. I would guess up to a quarter. Generally older some manning the 'Better Together' tents most wearing Barbour jackets.

There has clearly been a mass exodus probably probably cashing in on the imbalance in property prices between Scotland and the SE of England and of couse the scenery and the bracing East coast winds.

I think this may be where the Tory support is coming from. I also wouldn't be surprised if many of the brightest and more creative have been moving in the opposite direction possibly to get away from the narrow minded 'Little Scotlanders'
  • Options
    MonikerDiCanioMonikerDiCanio Posts: 5,792
    edited August 2014
    Scott_P said:

The questions from female members of the audience during the first Darling:Salmond debate were strikingly hostile towards the First Minister. It's the women, stupid.

• Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,738
    Scott_P said:

The saucy minx has pinched a certain separatist's favourite epithet too - "turnip"! She'll rue the day.....
  • Options
    taffys said:

Plenty of betting opportunities if that's the case. Zero seats for UKIP is now longer odds that 1-5 seats at betfair.

Yep. I already have some money on that. Betting against UKIP has been quite profitable for me in the past.

But today my thoughts are on Liecester City vs Everton. It will be an interesting test.
  • Options
    I agree with David up to a point. I cannot see a positive case for voting Labour at the moment. The only reason to do so would be to keep out a Tory. And if you are in a seat where the Tories are guaranteed to win or are definitely not going to win, why bother? However, I would expect that most traditional Labour voters will, in the end, go to the polls in the numbers they did last time. Throw in the red Liberals and we are going to see a Labour vote of up to around 35% - but certainly no more. In Labour areas UKIP's best chance is among those who gave up on Labour prior to 2010, but as they are people who probably have not voted for a while they may be tricky to get out on the day, especially when resources are stretched. I guess a lot will depend on the manifesto that UKIP eventually comes up with. One that appeals to traditional Labour voters may not sit easily with UKIP's libertarian, Thatcherite leadership or their disaffected Tory followers. You can only go so far with social conservatism in my view.
  • Options

Scott_P said:

The questions from female members of the audience during the first Darling:Salmond debate were strikingly hostile towards the First Minister. It's the women, stupid.

No Monica , it's the stupid vacuous women basing everything on looks etc. I note Moir and the Daily Heil was not brave enough to allow comments on her verbal diahorrea. Typical unionists , insult the person and their looks and ignore everything else , pool share and bitter together, LOL.
  • Options

Scott_P said:

The saucy minx has pinched a certain separatist's favourite epithet too - "turnip"! She'll rue the day.....

I should sue, must ask Financier how you go about litigation.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

Scott_P said:

No Monica , it's the stupid vacuous women basing everything on looks etc. I note Moir and the Daily Heil was not brave enough to allow comments on her verbal diahorrea. Typical unionists , insult the person and their looks and ignore everything else , pool share and bitter together, LOL.

The charm of a turnip.
  • Options
    hucks67 said:

You make a very good point. But I would say that people can learn from Nick Clegg and his colleagues mistakes. ......... The Lib Dems act as the whipping boys and that is how the public see them. That is why they are so low in the polls, nothing to do with coalition. If Clegg and his colleagues had been much stronger in standing up for their own position and negotiating harder, ....
    I disagree, the LDs dropped in the polls after the election when the realities of Govt hit home to the NOTA+leftie supporters. The LDs then adopted a Ratner type of strategy towards the coalition which drove their support even lower. If you position the Coalition brand as the ideal form of Govt (for UK) before GEs and then spend your time trashing its down side after the Coalition starts, you end up undermining the reasons to buy/vote for you.
    Branding 1.01
  • Options

malcolmg said:

Scott_P said:

The charm of a turnip.

Dear Dear Monica, down to stealing quotes now, how very you. Scott and you should get hitched, what a pair of wally dugs you would make.
  • Options
    surbitonsurbiton Posts: 13,549
    edited August 2014

I agree with David up to a point. I cannot see a positive case for voting Labour at the moment. The only reason to do so would be to keep out a Tory. And if you are in a seat where the Tories are guaranteed to win or are definitely not going to win, why bother? However, I would expect that most traditional Labour voters will, in the end, go to the polls in the numbers they did last time. Throw in the red Liberals and we are going to see a Labour vote of up to around 35% - but certainly no more. In Labour areas UKIP's best chance is among those who gave up on Labour prior to 2010, but as they are people who probably have not voted for a while they may be tricky to get out on the day, especially when resources are stretched. I guess a lot will depend on the manifesto that UKIP eventually comes up with. One that appeals to traditional Labour voters may not sit easily with UKIP's libertarian, Thatcherite leadership or their disaffected Tory followers. You can only go so far with social conservatism in my view.

Apart from Southam's second sentence, I'd agree with his comments more or less.

One thing most PBers are also not taking into account.partly because most don't suffer it, is the massive reduction in living standards for the low waged, in the public sector certainly but also private. The BoE's projection to halve [ where were they all this time ? ] expected wage growth rate shows people are really suffering. *ankers maybe raking in, but the poor sods at the bottom half are suffering. They won't be voting Tory, I can assure you and, on the day, will come out and vote anti Tory. UKIP will get some of those votes.

This will be the first election in decades when people will be worse off than 5 years ago. THanks to austerity.
  • Options

Scott_P said:

Can every BT supporter please stop reminding us YES supporters of the cock-up that Salmond et al have made of the campaign. Do not intrude on private grief, thanks.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,988
    Good morning, everyone.

I do think Labour will shed some Brown votes. Still expect them to have most seats, though.
  • Options
    Roger said:

Easterross.
    ...I think this may be where the Tory support is coming from. I also wouldn't be surprised if many of the brightest and more creative have been moving in the opposite direction possibly to get away from the narrow minded 'Little Scotlanders'

It is the loss of the brightest business oriented folk that has driven Scots leftward and backwards economically.
  • Options
    FlightpathFlightpath Posts: 4,012
    If 41% of labour voters are dissatisfied with Miliband then there is some prospect of some of them switching to the tories. The flock who fled to the LDs and flew back were the lefty peacenick ones and Miliband has been playing to that gallery. But their is a strand who vote Labour who are not benefit dependent or trade unionist blue collar and who (and I know this is hard to believe) are intelligent enough to support sound government.
  • Options

Scott_P said:

Can every BT supporter please stop reminding us YES supporters of the cock-up that Salmond et al have made of the campaign. Do not intrude on private grief, thanks.

Cock-up or conspiracy ? Many in the Yes camp think Salmond has intentionally thrown the campaign.
  • Options
  • Options
    FalseFlagFalseFlag Posts: 1,801
    surbiton said:

One thing most PBers are also not taking into account.partly because most don't suffer it, is the massive reduction in living standards for the low waged, in the public sector certainly but also private. The BoE's projection to halve [ where were they all this time ? ] expected wage growth rate shows people are really suffering. *ankers maybe raking in, but the poor sods at the bottom half are suffering. They won't be voting Tory, I can assure you and, on the day, will come out and vote anti Tory. UKIP will get some of those votes.

This will be the first election in decades when people will be worse off than 5 years ago. THanks to austerity.
    Actual IBs have been reducing headcount due to reduced trading volumes as well as continuing outsourcing.

In order to have a wage one must be in employment. People are better off on the whole in 2015 than in 2010 in stark comparison to 2010 when labour had lowered living standards in comparison to 2005.

This sort of post is why people will be turning out in droves to keep labour out ala 1992.
  • Options
    surbiton said:

Thanks to the people who made austerity essential!, and polling suggests that most still blame the Brown government, and his acolyte Balls.

And when we look at France or at Japan, where we see a 1.7% contraction in GDP last quarter, we see no real alternative to living within our means. Borrowing for stimulus is an epic fail.
  • Options
    "For years I have been labouring under the delusion that it was just me, my mum, my sister, my gal pals, most of my aunts, the lady who bakes the cakes for the church in the village and my old boss, the Scottish commentator Deborah Orr, who couldn’t stand him."

I do wonder on a day like this in a month like this when people are being massacred on a daily basis in the Middle East whether there could be a better way to draw attention to the vacuousness of yourself and your paper than Jan Moir has done?

• Options

If 41% of labour voters are dissatisfied with Miliband then there is some prospect of some of them switching to the tories. The flock who fled to the LDs and flew back were the lefty peacenick ones and Miliband has been playing to that gallery. But their is a strand who vote Labour who are not benefit dependent or trade unionist blue collar and who (and I know this is hard to believe) are intelligent enough to support sound government.

You biased tiny little brain may not know that it is actually the blue collar trade unionist who could be a possible Tory voter. About 30% of TU members vote Tory anyway.
  • Options
    Stuart_DicksonStuart_Dickson Posts: 3,557
    edited August 2014
    The Swedish general election is on 14 September. Here is the latest poll: continues to show a likely Red-Green coalition government taking power from Fredrik Reinfeldt's four-party lib-con coalition.

TNS Sifo/GP
    (if the party has a UK partner party in the European Parliament it is shown in brackets)
    (+/- change from Swedish GE 2010)

Red-Green opposition bloc

Social Democrats (Lab, SDLP) 30% (-1)
    Environment Party (Grn, SNP, PC) 11% (+4)
    Left Party (SF) 8% (+2)

Centre-right coalition government

Moderates (n/a) 25% (-5)
    Peoples' Party (LD) 7% (n/c)
    ----(note: 4% threshold to get back into the Riksdag)----
    Centre Party (LD) 4% (-3)
    Christian Democrats (n/a) 3% (-3)

Others

Sweden Democrats (UKIP) 10% (+4)
    Feminist Initiative (Lab, SDLP) 2% (+2)

Ladbrokes have several Swedish markets, eg.

Next Prime Minister

Stefan Löfven (S) 1/6
    Fredrik Reinfeldt (M) 3/1
    Any other 33/1

All of their other markets cover the % vote for the nine main parties listed above.

• Options
    HurstLlamaHurstLlama Posts: 9,098
    @Southam Observer

" I guess a lot will depend on the manifesto that UKIP eventually comes up with"

There is much in what you say, but I think the UKIP manifesto will not be important to the people who are thinking of voting for that party. Few people will read it (does anyone who isn't paid to read any party's manifesto?) and any reports pointing out inconsistencies and items of silliness will be shrugged off. Look at the run up to the Euros earlier this year; there were a lot of stories about how awful some of the UKIP people were and how incompetent and unfit they were as a party, if it made a difference it was a very small one.

UKIP is the party for the ignored, the disenfranchised and the fed up. In many ways it is analogous to the Labour Party in its early years, it exists to give a voice to those ignored by the big parties.
  • Options
    Roger said:

"For years I have been labouring under the delusion that it was just me, my mum, my sister, my gal pals, most of my aunts, the lady who bakes the cakes for the church in the village and my old boss, the Scottish commentator Deborah Orr, who couldn’t stand him."

I do wonder on a day like this in a month like this when people are being massacred on a daily basis in the Middle East whether there could be a better way to draw attention to the vacuousness of yourself and your paper than Jan Moir has done?

Blair, the man you regard as Britain's classiest PM, set the gold standard for vacuity and negligence;

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2706941/He-Middle-East-not-UK-Peace-envoy-Tony-Blair-blasted-throwing-surprise-birthday-party-wife-Cheries-60th-6million-mansion-Gaza-death-toll-passes-1-000.html
  • Options
    Surbiton

"Censorship !"

Indeed. The Guardian ran an ad by the odious Elie Weisel. They used the same defence. 'Nothing to do with us guv'"
  • Options
    WitanWitan Posts: 26
    David Herdson

Your thesis on Labour support sounds right to me. I have said previously on here that the Conservatives will be trying to reduce motivation by stirring up apathy and uncertainty amongst Labour trending voters throughout the campaign. In fact it is already happening.

Look at the timeline of CCHQ and the stories planted in the press particularly about the top Miliband team and the ridiculous delivery of the 'summer campaign'. 'The Choice' slogan is the worst home goal for years. Choose between prosperity and common sense or geeky incompetence. Self interest or self economic harm.

A significant number of soft supporters of any party need a strong positive reason to vote. Is the Miliband team giving them one? A few glittering policy-lite announcements at the autumn conference have to overcome three years or more of those cartoons of plasticine characters which devastatingly are supported by the reality. Labour really do seem to be the Wallace and Gromit of British politics.
  • Options
    surbiton said:

Yes - these people would rather have been on the dole would they? How would Labour have increased peoples wages *and* kept tham in a job? UKIP - ? UKIP and its most febrile suppoorters want a 'smaller state', they despise public sector workers (even the white ones) - well lets face it they despise just about everyone and everything - so they want to axe even more jobs, not to mention pull the rug from under the economy.

Jobs? Take Merseyside - the Jaguar LandRover workforce at Halewood has grown to 4,750 - treble what it was just four years ago. Don't forget all the other associated jobs that go with that. Production is 24 hours a day and 80% goes to export. In recent times more than £500m has been invested in the factory. Are the people there better or worse off when there are 3000 extra well paid jobs that have been created?
  • Options
    Moniker

"Blair, the man you regard as Britain's classiest PM, set the gold standard for vacuity and negligence;'

Guilty
  • Options
    TCPoliticalbetting says ''...The LDs then adopted a Ratner type of strategy towards the coalition which drove their support even lower....''

This is a very good way to put it. They support 'coalition' and then publicly trash their own coalition. I think your point is very well made. And of course in attacking their own government they drive support for the entire govt down. In effect they show themselves unsuited to the power they allegedly crave.
    I personally want a tory govt, but i am happy to put up with a coalition as a next best alternative and put up with those limitations that the libdem part of it demand. The libdems have not been and have shown that they want their cake and eat it in a quite immature fashion.

But is the 'libdem' era at an end? There is surely no social democrat tendency left. At 8% the 'liberal' vote is where it belongs and the libdems should merge back with the liberals. The orange bookers really ought to join the tories.
  • Options
    edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,151
    edited August 2014
    Witan said:

David Herdson

Your thesis on Labour support sounds right to me. I have said previously on here that the Conservatives will be trying to reduce motivation by stirring up apathy and uncertainty amongst Labour trending voters throughout the campaign. In fact it is already happening.

Look at the timeline of CCHQ and the stories planted in the press particularly about the top Miliband team and the ridiculous delivery of the 'summer campaign'. 'The Choice' slogan is the worst home goal for years. Choose between prosperity and common sense or geeky incompetence. Self interest or self economic harm.

A significant number of soft supporters of any party need a strong positive reason to vote. Is the Miliband team giving them one? A few glittering policy-lite announcements at the autumn conference have to overcome three years or more of those cartoons of plasticine characters which devastatingly are supported by the reality. Labour really do seem to be the Wallace and Gromit of British politics.

The problem with "stir up apathy" as a strategy is that everything about the dynamic of an election campaign serves to play up whatever diferences remain between the parties. The media don't like to talk about areas where everyone agrees and they can't allow the election to appear pointless, because if it was their reporting of it would appear pointless as well. The result is that it should only take a couple of small, symbolic differences to create the illusion of an important choice and rile up voters who are sympathetic to Labour but flirting with meh.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,008

Yes - these people would rather have been on the dole would they? How would Labour have increased peoples wages *and* kept tham in a job? UKIP - ? UKIP and its most febrile suppoorters want a 'smaller state', they despise public sector workers (even the white ones) - well lets face it they despise just about everyone and everything - so they want to axe even more jobs, not to mention pull the rug from under the economy.

Jobs? Take Merseyside - the Jaguar LandRover workforce at Halewood has grown to 4,750 - treble what it was just four years ago. Don't forget all the other associated jobs that go with that. Production is 24 hours a day and 80% goes to export. In recent times more than £500m has been invested in the factory. Are the people there better or worse off when there are 3000 extra well paid jobs that have been created?

It’s not solely, Mr Flightpath, a question of a job or nothing. For a significant number of people, as Surbiton says, wages RELATIVE TO OTHER COSTS have fallen. And while those who now have a job, as opposed to not having one might feel appreciative, those who are not only worse off but see others, who were already doing well, apparently doing even better are likely to become bitter.
This discussion has been closed.