Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » PB Nighthawks is now open

SystemSystem Posts: 11,688
edited August 2014 in General

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » PB Nighthawks is now open

Why not relax, and converse into the night on the day’s events in PB NightHawks.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    Tim_BTim_B Posts: 7,669
    First again!!
  • Options
    MarkHopkinsMarkHopkins Posts: 5,584
    "19 Chat Up Lines That Would Definitely Work In London".

Now, now, TSE. You're not supposed to include your own material in Nighthawks.
  • Options
    Damn it.
  • Options
    compouter2compouter2 Posts: 2,371
    Looking at the last two polls and ignoring the ICM because it doesn't "seeem right/not what I am hearing on the streets/ Dan Hodges ghost poll tells a different story" I have put the figures in my Election calculator and it gives the following results*:

Applying the Lambert & Butler model (Pony Juice derivitives)-

(Super electric genrator with added sleigh bells forecast)

Con vote lead 27% (increase from 19% last time)
    Con seat lead 276 seats

(17981 Clacton on Sea simulations)

Chance of Tory vote lead: 4,596.0% (Up from 2,578% last time)
    Chance of a Tory seat lead: 3,786% (Up from 2,163% last time)

Chance of a Hung Parliament: 0.0004%
    Chance of a Tory majority: 3,098%
    Chance of a Labour majority: -4,765%
    Chance of Labour most votes 0.00000000000000001%

DC for PM nailed on!

* I reserve the right to change the figures very close to the election and make some fantastic excuse along the lines that I have tinkered with the formulation so it looks identical to what the result ends up and declare my calculator a complete success.
  • Options
    ToryJimToryJim Posts: 3,419
    Of course tomorrow is also the first anniversary of the death of Paddy Power.
  • Options
    TomsToms Posts: 2,478
    edited August 2014
    " Second Scottish independence debate to be screened live across UK by BBC. "

I expect it'll be on radio too. If not then I'll hie myself to a friend's house to watch. It was unique fun getting the 1st debate second hand through the eyes of (some of) you lot.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,933
    Its official.... left wing humour is so unfunny it is unwatchable/readable! I have completed stage 5 of the conversion!
  • Options

"19 Chat Up Lines That Would Definitely Work In London".

Now, now, TSE. You're not supposed to include your own material in Nighthawks.

Those are very tame compared to my lines.
  • Options
    HughHugh Posts: 955
    isam said:

Its official.... left wing humour is so unfunny it is unwatchable/readable! I have completed stage 5 of the conversion!

Tell us the classic about the Scotsman, Irishman and African, Jim!
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,972

Looking at the last two polls and ignoring the ICM because it doesn't "seeem right/not what I am hearing on the streets/ Dan Hodges ghost poll tells a different story" I have put the figures in my Election calculator and it gives the following results*:

Con seat lead 276 seats

DC for PM nailed on!

* I reserve the right to change the figures very close to the election and make some fantastic excuse along the lines that I have tinkered with the formulation so it looks identical to what the result ends up and declare my calculator a complete success.

I'd urge caution, and suggest the chance of a blue majority as only 2,742%.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,327
    FPT and in general a general plea:

FOR ALL THAT IS HOLY CAN WE PLEASE HAVE SOME DECENT LEFTIES HERE ON PB.

Perhaps we could put an ad in Guardian Media or something?

Please.
  • Options
    Hugh said:

isam said:

Tell us the classic about the Scotsman, Irishman and African, Jim!
    "There's a black fella, a Pakistani, & a jew in a nightclub..."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BxFqv1QDI3Q
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    I think it 235 years since the Penobscot mission.

But an interesting tale nonetheless.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,028
    PPP Alaska 2016 Hillary beats Palin!

•Rand Paul (R) 50% (46%) {47%} [49%]
    •Hillary Clinton (D) 36% (40%) {41%} [43%]

•Chris Christie (R) 45% (44%) {43%} [46%] (43%)
    •Hillary Clinton (D) 34% (41%) {39%} [38%] (42%)

•Jeb Bush (R) 47% (47%) {47%} [49%]
    •Hillary Clinton (D) 38% (41%) {39%} [42%]

•Mike Huckabee (R) 47% (43%) {45%}
    •Hillary Clinton (D) 39% (42%) {41%}

•Hillary Clinton (D) 46% (44%) {44%} [49%] (53%)
    •Sarah Palin (R) 40% (41%) {43%} [40%] (37%)
    http://www.argojournal.com/2014/08/poll-watch-ppp-d-alaska-2016.html
  • Options

I think it 235 years since the Penobscot mission.

But an interesting tale nonetheless.

Oops, fixed now.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

Please.

Heh.

Do you count yourself as a decent Rightie?
  • Options
    Fat_SteveFat_Steve Posts: 361

etc etc etc

Almost every poll this summer has been followed by brief discussion, then 20 posts from you going on and on and on and on and on and on about PB Hodges and Basil and Crossbars.

These dialogues that you're part of?
    You need to work out which out which ones are really happening, and which ones are only happening in your head.
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,826
    edited August 2014
    1. Good for the BBC - We'll all be able to laugh at Salmond's second humiliation within a month!

2. I really thought we were going to get rid of Scotland this time. *tut*

3. Good. Just as long as it doesn't involve English taxpayers forming a currency union I'm OK with this.

4. I'd like to know when politicians will give US money?

5. Taxi time for the yellow peril.

6. We've accepted jobs at the expense of wages - Which will benefit everyone in the long run. Before Mrs Thatcher we'd almost certainly have had a wage spike, stagflation and mass unemployment after the recession. The Blessed Margaret's reforms endure.

7. Are these "sanctions" like the one's against Putin's oligarchs?

8. I think everyone know's the difference between opting out of the increasingly mad ECOHR and terrorist's chopping people's heads off and burying them alive in Iraq.

9. We should nominate SeanT for the Nobel Peace Prize.

10. I think there is an argument for executing murderers who have had their crime's proved with DNA. Though I would still be queasy about it's reintroduction.

11. Ditto

12. To many "Likes" make a lemon...

13. What goes around comes around...

14. Filth!

15. America would be so much more cultured if they'd stayed in the Empire until the 20th Century. They would even know how to play football and cricket.

• Options
    RobD said:

Con seat lead 276 seats

DC for PM nailed on!

I'd urge caution, and suggest the chance of a blue majority as only 2,742%.
    I can only go with what the election calculator says.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,327
    Hugh said:

TOPPING said:

Please.

Heh.

Do you count yourself as a decent Rightie?
    Yes.
  • Options
    Fat_Steve said:

etc etc etc

Almost every poll this summer has been followed by brief discussion, then 20 posts from you going on and on and on and on and on and on about PB Hodges and Basil and Crossbars.

These dialogues that you're part of?
    You need to work out which out which ones are really happening, and which ones are only happening in your head.
    I would like to point out Basil is on a well earned rest.

http://gallery.photo.net/photo/7467040-md.jpg
  • Options
    MrJonesMrJones Posts: 3,523
    #6 What's the difference between a million people with a hundred pound a week to spend and a hundred people with a million pounds a week to spend?

prosperity
  • Options
    Interesting that David Cameron's prep school report had him bottom of the class in 1978, yet he managed to go on to get a 1st at Oxford. Clearly a late developer
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1253749/Camerons-prep-school-report-reveals-class.html
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    David Davis Cameron could be forced to resign as PM if Scotland votes Yes, if a No would need English votes for English laws
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2723916/David-Cameron-forced-resign-Prime-Minister-Scotland-votes-Yes-independence-warns-Tory.html
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,988
    Good evening, everyone.

Mr. HYUFD, Davis avoided nailing his colours to the mast in Andrew Neil's documentary the other night. Either the Mail's being a little loose, or he's changed tack recently.
  • Options
    welshowlwelshowl Posts: 4,460
    GIN1138 said:

1. Good for the BBC - We'll all be able to laugh at Salmond's second humiliation within a month!

2. I really thought we were going to get rid of Scotland this time. *tut*

3. Good. Just as long as it doesn't involve English taxpayers forming a currency union I'm OK with this.

4. I'd like to know when politicians will give US money?

5. Taxi time for the yellow peril.

6. We've accepted jobs at the expense of wages - Which will benefit everyone in the long run. Before Mrs Thatcher we'd almost certainly have had a wage spike, stagflation and mass unemployment after the recession. The Blessed Margaret's reforms endure.

7. Are these "sanctions" like the one's against Putin's oligarchs?

8. I think everyone know's the difference between opting out of the increasingly mad ECOHR and terrorist's chopping people's heads off and burying them alive in Iraq.

9. We should nominate SeanT for the Nobel Peace Prize.

10. I think there is an argument for executing murderers who have had their crime's proved with DNA. Though I would still be queasy about it's reintroduction.

11. Ditto

12. To many "Likes" make a lemon...

13. What goes around comes around...

14. Filth!

15. America would be so much more cultured if they'd stayed in the Empire until the 20th Century. They would even know how to play football and cricket.

I'd agree with most of that with caveats:-

Not keen on capital punishment (DNA isn't 100% certain, you can still get laboratory cock ups and anyway I'd like to think we'd moved on).

Can I add as a Welsh taxpayer I have no desire to pay for Salmond's idiocies. If you want to go it alone, fine, great, let's be friends. but independence means just that, not a cherry picked Devo max with a gunboat or two on Loch Lomond).

America v Canada was the world's first international cricket match in about 1860 I believe. The Civil War ended that as well as much else. However, without 1776 and all that the Brits would've clashed with the South circa 1834 with unknown results.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

David Davis Cameron could be forced to resign as PM if Scotland votes Yes, if a No would need English votes for English laws
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2723916/David-Cameron-forced-resign-Prime-Minister-Scotland-votes-Yes-independence-warns-Tory.html

Well that's a helpful intervention by David Davis, LOL!

• Options
    Mike is such a tease

Mike Smithson @MSmithsonPB · 2m

Nice poll - interesting other questions. I'll publish it after 6am
  • Options
    DanBarkrDanBarkr Posts: 17

Mike is such a tease

What's it on, do you know?
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    Eck tries to rescue the damage he did in the debate

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-28781276
  • Options
    DanBarkr said:

Mike is such a tease

What's it on, do you know?
    I'm in the same boat as you.
  • Options
    The Independent ‏@Independent 1m

One in 10 Ukip supporters would 'strongly approve' of convicted murderers being beheaded http://i100.io/qVOkFSJ
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,124
    GIN1138 said:

HYUFD said:

Clear implication therefore that a No vote would be another total triumph for DC - I could live with that - not sure about loony DD though.
  • Options
    Tim_BTim_B Posts: 7,669
    Scott_P said:

This particular genie (Robin Williams RIP) might be hard to get back in the bottle.
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    Fascinating programme on BBC2 about how Germany stoked Jihad against the British in WW1.
  • Options

One in 10 Ukip supporters would 'strongly approve' of convicted murderers being beheaded http://i100.io/qVOkFSJ

Amazingly they did still in France up to 1977
  • Options
    MD Indeed, would need to read the full context of the interview.

1183/Felix Poor timing as usual by DD, just as polls swing to No. Though he did agree with Redwood's recent comment there should be English votes for English laws
  • Options
    EasterrossEasterross Posts: 1,915
    GIN1138 said:

HYUFD said:

Of course Cameron wont have to resign because most of England couldn't care less what we Scots decide. I have been surprised that English MPs have allowed Scots Labour MPs to determine their education, health, planning etc policies since 1998 when they have no say in what happens in Scotland. If there is a NO vote, a Federal UK is the only way ahead.

Scottish Westminster MPs (59) should be merged with Scottish List MSPs (56) because neither have that much to do. They could spend 2 weeks a month at Westminster dealing with UK issues and 2 weeks a month dealing with Scottish ones.
  • Options
    Sun Politics @Sun_Politics · now

YouGov/Sun poll tonight - Labour lead down one to two points: CON 34%, LAB 36%, LD 10%, UKIP 12%
  • Options
    Welshowl Generally I do not approve of the death penalty, but I could see the case for those convicted of serial killing on at least 2 separate occasions, removes the risk of evidence being wrong to about zero
  • Options
    peter_from_putneypeter_from_putney Posts: 6,875
    edited August 2014

YouGov/Sun poll tonight - Labour lead down one to two points: CON 34%, LAB 36%, LD 10%, UKIP 12%

Par for the course, for a Thursday. The Libdems are perking up a little though.
  • Options
    Mr. Easterross, I fear if No wins the devolution will be carving up England to try and prevent an English Parliament, the only really acceptable solution (English votes for English laws would be an improvement but not sufficient move, in my view), emasculating Westminster.
  • Options

Peter my dear chap you are clearly having a tough week. It's still Wednesday :)
  • Options
    Brazilian presidential candidate dies in a plane crash:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-latin-america-28778604
  • Options
    Nothing more dangerous than a perky LibDem. It's all those woolie jumpers and open toed sandals
  • Options

Really? It says 6/100 on the one I am looking at
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Welshowl Generally I do not approve of the death penalty, but I could see the case for those convicted of serial killing on at least 2 separate occasions, removes the risk of evidence being wrong to about zero

Take your point but errors still happen. I'd be all for the lock 'em up and throw away the key in such circumstances though.
  • Options
    SquareRootSquareRoot Posts: 7,095
    So the polls are fluid, they move around. Any poll that deflates the overconfidence of the left on here is worth the knowing.
    Frankly any poll at this stage doesn't matter, its the direction of travel over the next few months. If Dave doesn't get a feel-good factor from the economic stats and unemployment figs... The Tories will be stuffed.
  • Options

You're right of course, but only for another two hours and I'm posting this from Singapore (I might have made up that last bit).
  • Options
    MD/Easterross No reason some days at Westminster can be dedicated to English legislation and attended only by English MPs. If a Labour government has to adjust legislation to get some English LD or even a few Tory MPs behind it to get a majority then so be it
  • Options
    isam said:

Yes, Beheading is 11/100
  • Options

You're right of course, but only for another two hours and I'm posting this from Singapore (I might have made up that last bit).
    Peter as long as you assure us you are not posting on here wearing nothing but a Chelsea strip!!
  • Options
    Bradford vs Leeds in the Second round of the Rumbelows Cup
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,746

Nothing more dangerous than a perky LibDem. It's all those woolie jumpers and open toed sandals

And beards. And as for the men......

• Options

GIN1138 said:

HYUFD said:

Of course Cameron wont have to resign because most of England couldn't care less what we Scots decide. I have been surprised that English MPs have allowed Scots Labour MPs to determine their education, health, planning etc policies since 1998 when they have no say in what happens in Scotland. If there is a NO vote, a Federal UK is the only way ahead.

Scottish Westminster MPs (59) should be merged with Scottish List MSPs (56) because neither have that much to do. They could spend 2 weeks a month at Westminster dealing with UK issues and 2 weeks a month dealing with Scottish ones.
    If the English are too lazy to organise their own devolved parliament, that's their lookout.

• Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    edited August 2014
    Link 5 is interesting because not only have UKIP donations overtaken LD ones, but UKIP has also overtaken the LDs in terms of parliamentary selections as I mentioned earlier today. And LD selections includes the reselection of 45 incumbents.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,850
    SeanT said:

welshowl said:

I see absolutely no logical reason why beheading is any worse than strangulation (i.e. hanging). Both are hopefully instantaneous, by severing essential nerves, arteries and other tissues, yet both can go wrong - though hanging is perhaps more likely to go awry (a writhing body dangling for many minutes) than death by guillotine, which is quite difficult to screw up.

Face it, you're killing someone. It's not going to be pretty. Seeing one as better than the other is sentimental gibberish.
    Beheading and hanging (the long drop) are the two most humane methods of execution.

• Options

isam said:

Yes, Beheading is 11/100
    No it isn't

64/100 Strongly disapprove (green)
    14/100 Tend to disapprove (yellow)
    6/100 Strongly approve (blue)
    5/100 tend to approve (orange)
    11/100 Don't know (red)

Unless something is very wrong on my screen... I pressed the UKIP tag and that's what I get

Its Lib Dems that are 11/100 Strongly approve of beheading

• Options

GIN1138 said:

HYUFD said:

If the English are too lazy to organise their own devolved parliament, that's their lookout.

Thickest post of the night??
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,873

333/269/22 EICIPM
  • Options
    Link 11: the Guardian doesn't seem to offer any evidence that Britain had "fallen out of love with the death penalty". IIRC most polls show around 50-60% still in favour (excluding don't knows).
  • Options
    BBC News Liam Fox calls for air strikes. Cameron says military will be deployed for humanitarian reasons
  • Options
    SeanT said:

welshowl said:

I see absolutely no logical reason why beheading is any worse than strangulation (i.e. hanging). Both are hopefully instantaneous, by severing essential nerves, arteries and other tissues, yet both can go wrong - though hanging is perhaps more likely to go awry (a writhing body dangling for many minutes) than death by guillotine, which is quite difficult to screw up.

Face it, you're killing someone. It's not going to be pretty. Seeing one as better than the other is sentimental gibberish.
    The most ridiculous thing is that the US doesn't use the most painless method of execution: hanging. For some reason they think lethal injection is more civilised.
  • Options
    isam said:

isam said:

Yes, Beheading is 11/100
    No it isn't

11/100 Don't know (red)

Unless something is very wrong on my screen... I pressed the UKIP tag and that's what I get

Something wrong on your screen, strongly approve is red.

We can also look at the source data, and it is 11/100

http://cdn.yougov.com/cumulus_uploads/document/0cxrbmqn06/InternalResults_140812_death_penalty_W.pdf
  • Options

What if an ape, which we are, kills another ape?
  • Options

Peter as long as you assure us you are not posting on here wearing nothing but a Chelsea strip!!
    You refer of course to the former Honourable Member for this parish. Wild horses wouldn't make me support Chelsea.

• Options
    SimonStClareSimonStClare Posts: 7,976
    #14 – Blimey, last time I used a chat up line, half those places weren’t built – depressed….
  • Options
    SeanT said:

welshowl said:

I agree. The guillotine is probably as good as any method ( so to speak ). I was just amazed that the last French guillotining was as recent as 1977 and is not confined to engravings of Robespierre from about 1794.
  • Options
    isam said:

isam said:

Yes, Beheading is 11/100
    No it isn't

11/100 Don't know (red)

Just looked at it again and I think Isam's on the money - it's the beastly LDs who want to wield the axe.
  • Options
    It looks like the West will be in combat with the Islamic State before long, even if it's only in self defence. Amazing how quickly all the promises of the last ten years have turned to dust, although in mitigation there's Keynes's dictum about the facts changing etc.
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

SeanT said:

welshowl said:

The most ridiculous thing is that the US doesn't use the most painless method of execution
    Well, that might not be the most ridiculous thing about their penal policy, really, if you think about it...
  • Options
    On beheadings, years ago, I read somewhere, that if you were beheaded, the last thing you'd see before you die is your own headless body.
  • Options
    Hugh said:

What if an ape, which we are, kills another ape?
    Why do you think that is funny?
  • Options

Mr. Easterross, I fear if No wins the devolution will be carving up England to try and prevent an English Parliament, the only really acceptable solution (English votes for English laws would be an improvement but not sufficient move, in my view), emasculating Westminster.

And what an abomination if would be. England has been a state and a nation since about 925. Who has the right to carve it up just because it's inconveniently " too big ". Can you imagine carving Wales or Scotland into bits and the uproar that would. ( rightly ) ensue?
  • Options

On beheadings, years ago, I read somewhere, that if you were beheaded, the last thing you'd see before you die is your own headless body.

It would depend what angle the head is at when it comes off, but yes, the brain would be conscience for a few seconds after decapitation for sure.
  • Options
    felix said:

isam said:

isam said:

Yes, Beheading is 11/100
    No it isn't

11/100 Don't know (red)

Just looked at it again and I think Isam's on the money - it's the beastly LDs who want to wield the axe.
    And correction - I think there is a problem with the way the chart behaves when you click on it. Having said all of that I think the commentary on it about UKIP is pretty silly just the kind of lefty nonsense that sends people towards them.
  • Options
    Surely it's far worse for someone to be murdered by a convicted murderer who had been let out of jail than it is for a murderer to be executed. But, for some reason, those against the death penalty always change the subject when that scenario is being discussed.
  • Options
    Sean Fear. There is no such thing as a "humane" method of execution. By its very nature, execution is inhumane.

Here are some of the definitions of "humane"

compassionate, kind, kindly, kind-hearted, considerate, understanding, sympathetic, tolerant, civilized, good, good-natured, gentle;.
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

Surely it's far worse for someone to be murdered by a convicted murderer who had been let out of jail than it is for a murderer to be executed. But, for some reason, those against the death penalty always change the subject when that scenario is being discussed.

Do you know how many people in this country are murdered by a convicted murderer who been let out of jail, on an annual basis?
  • Options

isam said:

isam said:

Yes, Beheading is 11/100
    No it isn't

11/100 Don't know (red)

Something wrong on your screen, strongly approve is red.

We can also look at the source data, and it is 11/100

http://cdn.yougov.com/cumulus_uploads/document/0cxrbmqn06/InternalResults_140812_death_penalty_W.pdf
    Oh yeah, the source data says that.. the pie chart doesn't on my screen though...

Oh well, lets not murder anyone and it wont be a worry
  • Options
    I think murderers should, on conviction, be murdered by a peadophile.

A blunt spoon would be my preferred method, cheap and maximum deterrent.

Of course, we'd then have to kill the peadophile for murder, but we can probably find a murderer to do that.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

Good to see him being called out on YESNP's "Project Fear".....

• Options

AndyJS said:

Do you know how many people in this country are murdered by a convicted murderer who been let out of jail, on an annual basis?
    Why should that matter - surely one would be sufficient?
  • Options
    FishingFishing Posts: 4,561
    A point made by OGH and others is that the electoral system is biased against the Conservatives because it requires rather more Tory votes to elect MPs than Socialist votes to elect Labour MPs. Or, as he usually puts it, the Tories will probably be behind on seats even if [slightly] ahead on votes. I crunched some numbers from the last election to look at the impact of Scottish independence on this. I apologise if somebody has already run these numbers on PB, as I am sure they have. I hope I am not violating any poster's copyright!

In 2010 it took 10.7m Conservative voters to elect 306 MPs, an average of 34,980 votes per MP. It took 8.6m Labour voters to elect 258 MPs, an average of 33,358 votes per MP. So far, so well known: Labour has an advantage in that >1,500 fewer votes are needed to elect each of its MPs.

Then I looked at the figures for England only. In England, 9.91m Conservative voters elected 297 MPs, an average of 33,360 votes per MP. The 7.04m Labour voters elected 191 MP, an average of 36,871 votes per MP. In England, therefore, the first-past-the-post electoral system works very much in favour of the Conservatives, and to an even greater extent than it does GB-wide against them.

Of course, none of this is remotely relevant until either a) Scotland and Wales become independent or b) we get an English Parliament with FPTP or EV4EL.
  • Options
    Some may laugh.. lets watch this from 13:07, and choose whose side youre on

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lx5gFwBMH80
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,850

Sean Fear. There is no such thing as a "humane" method of execution. By its very nature, execution is inhumane.

compassionate, kind, kindly, kind-hearted, considerate, understanding, sympathetic, tolerant, civilized, good, good-natured, gentle;.

The purpose of punishment ought always to be humane - that is, to protect the population.

If execution should be necessary, then it should be done in a manner that minimises suffering.

• Options
    Hugh said:

I think murderers should, on conviction, be murdered by a peadophile.

A blunt spoon would be my preferred method, cheap and maximum deterrent.

Of course, we'd then have to kill the peadophile for murder, but we can probably find a murderer to do that.

Good lord - could we have the death penalty for idiot trolls?
  • Options
    Life_ina_market_townLife_ina_market_town Posts: 2,319
    edited August 2014
    re [8] Dominic Grieve is moving from sensible opposition to Grayling and May's incoherence on Strasbourg to the irrational fanaticism of Chakrabarti and Kennedy of the Shaws. He claims that it would be 'a disaster' if legislation were passed 'to prevent the [Strasbourg] court's judgements being binding over parliament or implemented unless the parliament approves it.' This is extraordinarily disingenuous. As a former Attorney General, he will know that a Strasbourg judgment which is clearly contrary to an Act of Parliament must be disregarded by the courts, unless a further Act of Parliament is passed, or a remedial order is made by the Secretary of State under s. 10 of the 1998 Act, subject to the approval of each House of Parliament. He also appears to have swallowed the FCO line that signing up to the ECHR gives Britain 'influence in the world'. This is just about the worst argument for the status quo imaginable, in relation to both the EU and the ECHR.

The Conservatives' plans for ECHR reform will come unstuck in the details. It is worrying that a man as intelligent as Grieve is descending to disingenuous sophistry to defend the status quo.
  • Options
    welshhowl If we had a revolution perhaps the guillotine would be brought back, Osborne is perfect for a French aristocrat confronted by a baying mob
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

The purpose of punishment ought always to be humane - that is, to protect the population.

If execution should be necessary, then it should be done in a manner that minimises suffering.

I am against the death penalty under any circumstances, there have been too many miscarriages of justice.
    That said, some of the scum who have committed unspeakable crimes should be doing hard labour... breaking rocks every day till their last breath.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,798
    1. Fantastic news.

2. Here's hoping it continues. Obviously my view is coloured by hoping it is true, but the Yes argument on currency has seemed weak, mostly due to being contingent on things that they cannot disguise are not in their control, and dependent upon those they say are currently irrational suddenly becoming rational after suffering a humiliation.

3. I should bloody well hope so. Not just them as well I hope, even if the government does not wish to appear to be contemplating the matter.

4.I thought Labour's financial position was better off now? Oh well, even if they suffer yet more demands from the Unions, it's not as though the Unions will stop cashing up the money.

5. A year ago I thought the LDs would hold onto 3/4 of their seats and surprise people by perhaps breaking into the late teen percentages. The amount of donations and being overtaken by UKIP is not the reason why my view has changed, but it sure doesn't look good regardless.

8.He's probably right, but some of the rulings make a veto such an attractive option.

10. and 11. I'm not surprised people would tend to support reintroduction in theory, but there does seem to be little enthusiasm for actually trying it.

• Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453

Good to see him being called out on YESNP's "Project Fear".....

Indeed. And he is still too feart to be interviewed by Andrew Neil
  • Options
    SeanT said:

What a pile of bollocks.

We kill people all the time - in war. In defense of the realm. In liberal interventions. Even, arguably, in allowing abortion. We bomb places and kill innocent children. Our hospices are full of the very old and very ill who are quietly and mercifully finished off with opiates.

Yet we quail at the thought of topping a murderer?

Pfft.
    War justifies execution?
  • Options
    welshhowl Yes, still likely to remain the way we punish our murderers and in some respects life in prison with no hope of release is a fate worse than any execution which means the punishment is then over
  • Options
    TykejohnnoTykejohnno Posts: 7,362
    On beheadings ;-)

League cup 2nd round draw Bradford v Leeds - yes ;-)
  • Options
    SeanT said:

welshowl said:

I see absolutely no logical reason why beheading is any worse than strangulation (i.e. hanging).
    Done properly, hanging is effectively decapitation, severing the brain from the spinal column - just without the guillotine's theatre of blood. Of course it can go wrong - but I believe the most recent public example - Sadam - went "well"... Strangulation is the method employed by the Garotte.....

• Options
    TOPPING said:

Please.

What exactly would constitute a decent lefty? They'd need to have a fiery temperament and a lot of perseverance, no question, but how lefty would they actually need to be? A fiery and resolute centrish lefty would, I think, be less interesting that a proper old school socialist.
  • Options
    Life_ina_market_townLife_ina_market_town Posts: 2,319
    edited August 2014

I am against the death penalty under any circumstances, there have been too many miscarriages of justice.

I am against the death penalty, but the miscarriages of justice argument is one of the worst made against capital punishment. It is an argument for never executing a sentence of imprisonment.
  • Options
    edited August 2014

I am against the death penalty, but the miscarriages of justice argument is one of the worst made against capital punishment. It is an argument for never executing a sentence of imprisonment.
    I don't see how - someone imprisoned improperly can, to some albeit inadequate degree, be compensated for the mistake that was done to them, whereas someone executed improperly could not be. Even if someone thinks it is not the best argument, or it does not sway someone from being in favour of the death penalty, it doesn't seem like one of the worst as I see it, unless people are using really crappy arguments on this one.
This discussion has been closed.