Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Nighthawks is now open

2»

Comments

• Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758

The Tate Modern is always good, and the top floor dining is very pleasant with a great view over London. I agree with tea at Fortnum and Mason, it is always a treat, and plenty of time to get to Hammersmith.

You really, really do have to be into modern art for the Tate Modern, though Dr Sox. It is not for the feint-hearted. I did it once and never again. I'd sooner take a cheese grater covered with oven cleaner to my ... well never mind. The restaurant does have a nice view though, the service was OK but the food was a bit lacking - a bit too trendy and pretentious, like the rest of the place.
    It is one of my favourites, but I do rather like heavy engineering. There are better places to eat in London, but few with such a view.

Talking of places to eat with a stunning view, has anyone been to the Shard? That might be a wow experience for Mrs Jessop and she can always pick up some nice cheese in Borough Market afterwards. Maybe if she is into history visit Southwark Cathedral, which I have always felt doesn't get the attention it merits.
    That's a good idea - I believe @SeanT enjoyed his trip

Southwark Cathedral's ok - but the ruins of Winchester Palace next door might be more interesting. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Winchester_Palace

You could also visit the Clink (http://www.clink.co.uk/), and - I think @JJ likes boats - the Golden Hinde http://www.goldenhinde.com/

• Options
    Oliver_PBOliver_PB Posts: 397
    I was browsing through the Scottish Independence polling and I never realised the Yes campaign had such a major woman problem.

YouGov (excluding don't knows) voting Yes:
    Men: 45% Women: 33%

Panelbase (excluding don't knows) voting Yes:
    Men - 18-34: 59%, 35-54: 60%, 55+: 41%
    Women - 16-34: 46%, 35-54: 39%, 55+: 34%
  • Options

The Tate Modern is always good, and the top floor dining is very pleasant with a great view over London. I agree with tea at Fortnum and Mason, it is always a treat, and plenty of time to get to Hammersmith.

You really, really do have to be into modern art for the Tate Modern, though Dr Sox. It is not for the feint-hearted. I did it once and never again. I'd sooner take a cheese grater covered with oven cleaner to my ... well never mind. The restaurant does have a nice view though, the service was OK but the food was a bit lacking - a bit too trendy and pretentious, like the rest of the place.
    It is one of my favourites, but I do rather like heavy engineering. There are better places to eat in London, but few with such a view.

Talking of places to eat with a stunning view, has anyone been to the Shard? That might be a wow experience for Mrs Jessop and she can always pick up some nice cheese in Borough Market afterwards. Maybe if she is into history visit Southwark Cathedral, which I have always felt doesn't get the attention it merits.
    I went to the bottom of the Shard on Saturday, but didn't go up it, I was more interested in the re-build (ongoing) of London Bridge station. You know me :)
  • Options
    Charles said:

Charles said:

Charles said:

Charles said:

Icarus said:

Seems empty already without Jack

Been out today - what's happened?

And TSE, thanks for no. 16. I told you that the War of the Spanish Succession was a fun war, as wars go. By the way, I'm sure when I was a kid I was taught a useful mnemonic* for remembering the battles of the war (Blenheim, Ramilles, Malplaquet and Oudenarde) - can anyone help?

* A bit like "Able Bodied Seamen Catch Hairy Pirates" as a way to remember Henry VI's wives (Aragon, Boleyn, Seymour, Cleeves, Howard, Parr)
    Only mnemonic I remember from my school days is

Richard of York Gave Battle In Vain (or Roy G Biv) for the order of colours of the rainbow.
    Many Voles Enjoy Munching Jam Sandwiches Until Nightfall
    What does that stand for?
    Mercury, Venus, etc.
    Interesting.

Then there's always Dog: Caesar had some jam for tea, Brutus ate a rat.
    Speak of the Devil and he shall appear! Good evening, Mr. Chalres, I was just thinking of you as you are probably the best man on this site who can help Mr. Jessop. His request was towards the end of the last thread, but in a nutshell he wants to take his wife for a wow afternoon, meal and somewhere to stay in London for about £500 all told, but he has to go to a concert in the evening. Can you come up with some ideas, I am sure you can.
    As for things to do:

- If you like museums, I'd suggest something a little more off the beaten track than the NG or NPG; more human scale. Personally I always like the Wallace which manages to combine suits of armour with Fragonard and Boucher in an almost coherent way (www.wallacecollection.org/). Alternatively, the Courtauld has a good collection which many people miss (www.courtauld.ac.uk)
    - For something a bit different, you might like the Gilbert Collection at the V&A (www.vam.ac.uk/content/articles/t/the-rosalinde-and-arthur-gilbert-collection)
    - Alternatively you could wait until January and come to see the collection of Lancashire mummies and Roman coins that we are putting on display at Temple Place ;-)

If you don't like museums so much, have you ever been on the London Eye? if the weather is good then it can be a really interesting panorama if that's your sort of thing.

Hope that helps...!

We expect a full report...
    The Olympic Park in Stratford (E15, not Warks!) is very nice, and only recently re-opened to the public.
  • Options
    MrJonesMrJones Posts: 3,523
    AndyJS said:

Diane Abbott wants the Iraq crisis to go to the UN Security Council.

Has she heard of someone called Vladimir Putin?

Why would Putin block resolutions against Isis?
  • Options
    HurstLlamaHurstLlama Posts: 9,098
    Financier said:

rcs1000 said:

Can I just second the Wallace Collection, the best unknown gallery in London

Agree that and the Courtauld. For London history and especially the Roman bit, the London Museum is worth a visit.

Fortnums is good and is near the Royal Academy ( a good mixture) or in that area have a look in one of the private art dealers. For more window shopping walk through the Burlington Arcade and pop into Aspreys who are very amenable to visitors and Mrs JJ can cast her eye on that future anniversary present.

To stay, a boutique hotel like 54, or a room in a modern private club like Home House in Portman Square which can be arranged for non-members.
    I didn't know Home House let non-members stay! Damn, I wish I'd known that, could have saved me a few bob - Mrs Llama hates my club and won't stay there. Good to know for future reference, thanks.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 41,095
    Here's he going??? Sad news...

Andrew Neil (@afneil)
    12/08/2014 23:19
    That was my last documentary ever for BBC. So I'm glad so many people reacted so strongly to it. Thank you and goodbye.
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,623
    edited August 2014
    Charles said:

Charles said:

Icarus said:

And TSE, thanks for no. 16. I told you that the War of the Spanish Succession was a fun war, as wars go. By the way, I'm sure when I was a kid I was taught a useful mnemonic* for remembering the battles of the war (Blenheim, Ramilles, Malplaquet and Oudenarde) - can anyone help?

* A bit like "Able Bodied Seamen Catch Hairy Pirates" as a way to remember Henry VI's wives (Aragon, Boleyn, Seymour, Cleeves, Howard, Parr)
    Only mnemonic I remember from my school days is

Richard of York Gave Battle In Vain (or Roy G Biv) for the order of colours of the rainbow.
    Many Voles Enjoy Munching Jam Sandwiches Until Nightfall
    What does that stand for?
    Wow Oh Be A Fine Girl Kiss Me Sweetie
  • Options
    FinancierFinancier Posts: 3,916

Financier said:

rcs1000 said:

Can I just second the Wallace Collection, the best unknown gallery in London

Agree that and the Courtauld. For London history and especially the Roman bit, the London Museum is worth a visit.

Fortnums is good and is near the Royal Academy ( a good mixture) or in that area have a look in one of the private art dealers. For more window shopping walk through the Burlington Arcade and pop into Aspreys who are very amenable to visitors and Mrs JJ can cast her eye on that future anniversary present.

To stay, a boutique hotel like 54, or a room in a modern private club like Home House in Portman Square which can be arranged for non-members.
    I didn't know Home House let non-members stay! Damn, I wish I'd known that, could have saved me a few bob - Mrs Llama hates my club and won't stay there. Good to know for future reference, thanks.
    HL

you need an intro from a member - as their 'guest'.
  • Options
    Charles said:

That's a good idea - I believe @SeanT enjoyed his trip

Southwark Cathedral's ok - but the ruins of Winchester Palace next door might be more interesting. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Winchester_Palace

You could also visit the Clink (http://www.clink.co.uk/), and - I think @JJ likes boats - the Golden Hinde http://www.goldenhinde.com/

A few months ago I was clearing out my study and found a whole load of notes on the Bishop of Winchester and his "Geese" in Southwark. Obviously at some stage since 2006 I'd done a lot of research with the intention of producing an article on the subject. The frightening, even terrifying, thing is I have no recollection of either doing the research or planning the article.
  • Options
    #12 If situations are going to arise where the govt. want to "do something" then they need to make sure in advance that the forces have the sort of equipment that can be used to construct a variety of somethings for a variety of specific situations.
  • Options
    I wish I knew, the root of two.
    O procure for me, the root of three.
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,623
    edited August 2014
    In other news, Mum won Redbridge in Bloom!
    Um, I helped out with watering and weeding, occasionally :)
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,036

Ed Miliband’s “weak leadership” and lack of clear policies is the biggest concern among swing voters ahead of the general election campaign, research has shown.

Voters are "frustrated" by Mr Miliband and have been left with “absolutely no awareness” of the “summer offensive” launched by Labour in recent weeks, according to the Conservative research seen by The Daily Telegraph.

Many of the people who took part in the research, carried out in the Midlands this month, are swing voters who voted for Labour at the last election, it is understood.

Mr Miliband “remains voters’ greatest hesitation against voting Labour”, the research found.

“Voters are increasingly emotive in their annoyance towards Miliband who is providing them with no alternative choice. He remains voters’ greatest hesitation against voting Labour.”

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/labour/11029688/Ed-Milibands-weak-leadership-is-swing-voters-biggest-concern-research-shows.html

Sometimes I wonder if pieces like that are reporting the news or creating the news...
  • Options
    TomTom Posts: 273
    Soane museum on Lincolns inn fields is fabulous. Wild honey on George street classy but reasonably priced west end dining.
  • Options
    14 years, "settled science" and about a bazillion attacks on climate "deniers" later.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-23409404

"Why has global warming stalled?"

• Options

Heartiest Congratulations to your mum, Cap'n.

And well done you for helping out.

Else.

P.S. Just looked up the competition. Which category did she win? Probably not the best floral display by a public house.

P.P.S. Now that you have helped her win will she still tell you off for reading PB at the dinner table?
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,106
    Pulpstar said:

Ed Miliband’s “weak leadership” and lack of clear policies is the biggest concern among swing voters ahead of the general election campaign, research has shown.

Voters are "frustrated" by Mr Miliband and have been left with “absolutely no awareness” of the “summer offensive” launched by Labour in recent weeks, according to the Conservative research seen by The Daily Telegraph.

Many of the people who took part in the research, carried out in the Midlands this month, are swing voters who voted for Labour at the last election, it is understood.

Mr Miliband “remains voters’ greatest hesitation against voting Labour”, the research found.

“Voters are increasingly emotive in their annoyance towards Miliband who is providing them with no alternative choice. He remains voters’ greatest hesitation against voting Labour.”

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/labour/11029688/Ed-Milibands-weak-leadership-is-swing-voters-biggest-concern-research-shows.html

Sometimes I wonder if pieces like that are reporting the news or creating the news...
    To have staying power I generally feel such pieces need something substantive to feed the narrative onwards, but the emphasis (or not) of what facts there are and how they are displayed is very much about creating news not reporting it, particularly when it ends up being something that perfectly fits the hopes and dreams of one party or another. It is possible that actual news could fit those dreams and still be true, but it rarely seems so cut and dried.
  • Options

Heartiest Congratulations to your mum, Cap'n.

And well done you for helping out.

Else.

P.S. Just looked up the competition. Which category did she win? Probably not the best floral display by a public house.

P.P.S. Now that you have helped her win will she still tell you off for reading PB at the dinner table?
    Thanks, Mr Llama! It was the container garden category.

Well, let's just say it's been a while since I used my laptop at the dinner table! Belike.
  • Options
    StereotomyStereotomy Posts: 4,092
    MrJones said:

14 years, "settled science" and about a bazillion attacks on climate "deniers" later.

Did you actually read the article?
  • Options
    MrJones said:

But if you read the detail the climate enthusiasts are saying "pauses were always to be expected" possibly "20-25 years" but they "communicated" it poorly.

So warming is still on, we're not wrong, we need more money
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,245
    Re The Shard: I had one of the most overpriced meals of my life there. Avoid.

And @Tom is right that Wild Honey is a very good restaraunt.

Home House is not the place it once was: too many hedge fund managers...
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,245
    @HurstLlama: Home House is not a cheap place to stay, although some of the rooms are fabulous.
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    rcs1000 said:

Thanks, Mr Robert. And on that rather depressing note I think I'll go to bed.

Goodnight all and thanks for some good conversation.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

I'd agree. An ex-colleague swears by it, but I can't see the appeal myself. It's like Annabel's without the class... ;-)
  • Options
    Charles said:

MrJones said:

But if you read the detail the climate enthusiasts are saying "pauses were always to be expected" possibly "20-25 years" but they "communicated" it poorly.

14 years of denying it had stopped at all .
  • Options
    The Sunil on Sunday's top London landmarks and attractions:

Olympic Park
    South Bank (Westminster to Tower Bridge)
    Greenwich
    Richmond Park
    Hyde Park
    British Museum
    Victoria and Albert
    Docklands
    Buckingham Palace
    Westminster
    Soane Museum
    St Pancras International
    Regent's Park
    Hampstead Heath
    Syon Park
    Kew Gardens
    Tower of London
    Tate Modern
    Oxford Street
    Hampton Court
  • Options

MrJones said:

Did you actually read the article?
    14 years.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

creating
  • Options
    murali_smurali_s Posts: 3,045
    Charles said:

MrJones said:

May 2014 was the warmest May ever recorded globally while June 2014 was the warmest June ever recorded globally (source: NOAA).

Let's just pretend global warming isn't happening...
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395

The Sunil on Sunday's top London landmarks and attractions:

Olympic Park
    South Bank (Westminster to Tower Bridge)
    Greenwich
    Richmond Park
    Hyde Park
    British Museum
    Victoria and Albert
    Docklands
    Buckingham Palace
    Westminster
    Soane Museum
    St Pancras International
    Regent's Park
    Hampstead Heath
    Syon Park
    Kew Gardens
    Tower of London
    Tate Modern
    Oxford Street
    Hampton Court

I haven't been to Olympic Park yet. Did the Soane Museum last November, the candlelit version, although I nearly froze to death waiting outside for 3 hours.
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    New ?

@blairmcdougall: Support for #nothanks up 4 points in TNS poll taken either side of TV debate. N45(+4) Y32(n/c). Also more undecideds leaning no. #indyref
  • Options
  • Options
    MrJones said:

AndyJS said:

Because he strongly dislikes American foreign interventions almost on principle.
  • Options
    isam said:

Andrew Neil (@afneil)
    That was my last documentary ever for BBC. So I'm glad so many people reacted so strongly to it. Thank you and goodbye.

Sad news. I wonder where he's going? Sky maybe...
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 59,027
    edited August 2014
    TGOHF said:

New ?

@blairmcdougall: Support for #nothanks up 4 points in TNS poll taken either side of TV debate. N45(+4) Y32(n/c). Also more undecideds leaning no. #indyref

Fieldwork before the debate, and it is a mixed picture, when looking at absolutely certain to vote the Yes share is up by (I think) 2.

Edit - I thought the fieldwork was before the date anyway. Perhaps OGH will inform us.
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

isam said:

Andrew Neil (@afneil)

Next Mayor of London?
  • Options
    DanBarkrDanBarkr Posts: 17
    TGOHF said:

New ?

Regarding this, does anyone know why it takes this long for it to be done? Seems way out of date, beyond belief really. Do they not employ a lot of staff or something?

Furthermore, any news on when the ICM polling is out this week for the Indy Ref? Cheers.
  • Options
    Tim_BTim_B Posts: 7,669
    edited August 2014
    Rory McIlroy's father recently made a sizeable chunk betting his son would win the Open Championship.

As a rule I don't follow junior golf, but I've just spent the last 4 days marshalling at the US Amateur Championship at the Atlanta Athletic Club. The youngest player is 13, the oldest 53.

There is a 17 year old Englishman, now living in Florida and about to start playing his college golf as a Florida Gator, named Sam Horsfield. In both practice and the stroke play section, he has impressed me no end. I spent a few minutes speaking with his father during the round yesterday.

Maye you can make some money on him, but probably not as much as McIlroy senior.
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

isam said:

Andrew Neil (@afneil)

*sobs into his blue nun*!
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

MrJones said:

AndyJS said:

Because he strongly dislikes American foreign interventions almost on principle.
    Isis are attacking Assad and undermining Maliki.

• Options
    AndyJS said:

MrJones said:

AndyJS said:

But he supports Assad. Isis are opponents, having taken over large swathes of Syria, in addition to Iraq.
  • Options
    DanBarkrDanBarkr Posts: 17
    RobD said:

AndyJS said:

isam said:

Andrew Neil (@afneil)

But surely he is still doing This Week and maybe even Daily Politics. He just says no more docs. I really hope he's staying around for This Week and DP.
  • Options
    RobD said:

AndyJS said:

isam said:

Andrew Neil (@afneil)

Ah, he's not quitting the day job according to twitter:

meathead ‏@Prattman1993 55m
    @afneil will you still be on Daily Politics, Sunday Politics and This Week?

Andrew Neil ‏@afneil 51m
    @Prattman1993 yes
  • Options
    FrankBoothFrankBooth Posts: 9,071
    AndyJS said:

MrJones said:

AndyJS said:

He doesn't like seeing governments overthrown. He's been in power 14 years and shows no sign of wanting to step down. Deep down I suspect he knows he can only hang on using repression.

• Options
    FrankBoothFrankBooth Posts: 9,071
    Just to add Putin and Netanyahu get on famously. He shouldn't simply be seen as an anti-western fooe.
  • Options
    Y0kelY0kel Posts: 2,307
    Iraq: Boots on the ground.

The US is putting advisors into Kurdistan. Over 100 of them. Given there is a CIA station and long term military liaison from the US military and DIA already in Kurdistan I'd say over 100 advisors is a lot, even for a war room co-ordination team.

Some of those guys are field operators from the military, not staff planners. Any CIA paramilitary attendance is unlikely to revealed.

• Options
    RodCrosbyRodCrosby Posts: 7,737
  • Options
    old_labourold_labour Posts: 3,238
    I used to know a bloke who boasted that he was born on the same day as the last hangings in Britain.
    RodCrosby said:
  • Options
    RodCrosby said:
    There was a documentary on ITV earlier tonight "Executed".

https://www.itv.com/itvplayer/executed
  • Options
    @Sunil_Prasannan‌
    Congrats to your mum. You must be so proud of her.
  • Options

@Sunil_Prasannan‌
    Congrats to your mum. You must be so proud of her.

Thanks old_labour! She also won it 10 years ago and a couple of years after that :)
  • Options

RodCrosby said:

Yes, I saw it... with St. George's Hall doubling for the umpteenth time as No. 1 Court, the Old Bailey...

• Options
    Lauren Bacall has died.
  • Options
    Y0kelY0kel Posts: 2,307
    Confirmed, the Iranians are dumping Maliki.
  • Options
    RodCrosby said:

RodCrosby said:

Yes, I saw it... with St. George's Hall doubling for the umpteenth time as No. 1 Court, the Old Bailey...

I didn't know that! BTW apologies, unlike the Beeb's iPlayer looks like you need to register to watch ITV Player.
  • Options
    edited August 2014

RodCrosby said:

RodCrosby said:

I didn't know that! BTW apologies, unlike the Beeb's iPlayer looks like you need to register to watch ITV Player.
    Yes, it doubled in "Let him have it, Chris", and "In the Name of the Father", among others, and in just about every TV period courtroom drama. Filming at the Bailey is not allowed, IIUC.

Dubbed "the finest building in the world" by architect Norman Shaw, it contains the former Crown court, Civil Court, ballroom and concert hall (beloved by Dickens as the "the finest hall in the world"). Also original Victorian Cells. Statues include 4 former PMs, and probably the finest Cenotaph in the country stands outside.

It was also the world's first air-conditioned building...

http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Attraction_Review-g186337-d207708-Reviews-or10-St_George_s_Hall-Liverpool_Merseyside_England.html#REVIEWS
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,230
    Can I thank everyone for their advice below: you've given me plenty to go on. Time to plan an itinerary (including a train down as I don't want to have to try to park in Central London) and cost things up.

I think the Courtauld gallery might be the place to go - she's wanted to go for years, but we've never got around to it. A gallery should also give us some flexibility with regards to time compared to some other options I was considering. But it still isn't quite *special* enough. Hmmm.

As an aside, it won't be the Tate Modern. As I've said passim, I loved the Bankside power station building, and used to stare longingly at it when I was a student. It is, to my mind, far better than Battersea before that was criminally half-demolished.

So I was overjoyed when Bankside was refurbished, even if I didn't like the glass upper floor. Unfortunately I share my dad's opinion of the contents. Shortly after the Modern opened, we went down to visit. We spent a few hours going around (with, I think, my dad secretly figuring out how he would demolish it, something he did with many buildings). Just as we were leaving, he stood in the entrance foyer and said, in the loudest voice he could muster: "Well, that was a load of cr@p."

It may house a load of cr@p, but it's certainly helped regenerate that part of the South Bank.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,230

RodCrosby said:

They were previewing that program on Radio 5 with Richard Bacon yesterday afternoon. He had Derek Bentley's niece (I think) as a guest. Whilst I firmly believe that Bentley should not have been sentenced to death, I was annoyed that they did not seem to mention that the two young men killed one police officer and severely injured a second.

True, Bentley should never have been executed, and it looks like yet another case of police corruption. But nobody doubts the two men were there, that they were armed, and that Craig (Bentley's accomplice) shot at police officers. PC Miles and Cross were whitewashed from the interview, and the only victim was Bentley.

It seemed a curious omission.
  • Options
    sladeslade Posts: 1,941
    Charles said:

Icarus said:

It's an old London telephone number - BROM4689 ( i.e the dates of the battle, 1704,1706,1708 and 1709).
This discussion has been closed.