Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Nighthawks is now open

SystemSystem Posts: 11,688
edited August 2014 in General

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Nighthawks is now open

Why not relax, and converse into the night on the day’s events in PB NightHawks.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    IcarusIcarus Posts: 905
    First - surely not!
  • Options
    Seems empty already without Jack
  • Options
    QuincelQuincel Posts: 3,949
    "Randy Baumgardner"? Surely that's a joke name. And judging by photos of him, it's a miracle no-one has noticed he's a left-wing comedian in a fake moustache. He's a piece of performance art, right? Please tell me he is.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,489
    edited August 2014
    Quincel said:

"Randy Baumgardner"? Surely that's a joke name. And judging by photos of him, it's a miracle no-one has noticed he's a left-wing comedian in a fake moustache. He's a piece of performance art, right? Please tell me he is.

He's real, former PBer, Martin Coxall is/was facebook friends with him at one point.
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    Quincel said:

And re people called Randy, from Buffy, when Spike lost his memory and thought his name was Randy and has a go at his "Dad"

*Randy* Giles? Why not just call me Horny Giles or Desperate-For-A-Shag Giles? I knew there was a reason I hated you.
  • Options
    QuincelQuincel Posts: 3,949

Quincel said:

And re people called Randy, from Buffy, when Spike lost his memory and thought his name was Randy

*Randy* Giles? Why not just call me Horny Giles or Desperate-For-A-Shag Giles? I knew there was a reason I hated you.
    Randy as a first name is one thing, but remove the first 'a' from his surname and it's just...too easy.
  • Options
    Just caught up on Jacks ARSE - has been hard work in the curtain industry last few weeks. Possibly an overestimate of the Yes vote!! What will the NATs do if they don't get 40%?
  • Options
    StereotomyStereotomy Posts: 4,092
    I wish Owen Paterson were Tory leader. He'd damage the blue brand so much they'd stay out of government for a generation
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    Quincel said:

Quincel said:

And re people called Randy, from Buffy, when Spike lost his memory and thought his name was Randy

Randy as a first name is one thing, but remove the first 'a' from his surname and it's just...too easy.
    Americans have the best name, check out the lady 5 across, 5 down in this School book photo

http://tinyurl.com/2b8z7uq

Edit: Although the Scots are awesome, in a recent trip up to Scotland, I met messrs, Cummings, Balloch and Cockburn.
  • Options
    FinancierFinancier Posts: 3,916
    Scotland Votes: What's At Stake for the UK?

Just a reminder: BBC2 9.30 pm, Andrew Neil on Scottish Indy Referendum and its impact on rUK.
  • Options

Quincel said:

He's real, former PBer, Martin Coxall is/was facebook friends with him at one point.
    Whatever happened to Martin Coxall?
  • Options

Quincel said:

He's still on twitter,

Some of his tweets, may shock your innocent mind

https://twitter.com/Grabcocque
  • Options

Quincel said:

He's still on twitter,

I seem to have been blocked by Mr Coxall, can't for the life of me think why.

• Options
    edited August 2014

Quincel said:

He's still on twitter,

I once blocked Mike on twitter, when using twitter on mobile phones, you can do it quite easily, and usually by accident.
  • Options

Quincel said:

He's still on twitter,

I wasn't shocked as such, I just didn't understand ANY of it. Martin's obviously moved on somewhat since leaving this parish.
  • Options

Quincel said:

He's still on twitter,

I blocked Mike on twitter, when using twitter on mobile phones, you can do it quite easily, and usually by accident.
    Maybe, as I don't think I ever replied to him on a tweet.
  • Options

Quincel said:

He's still on twitter,

I wasn't shocked as such, I just didn't understand ANY of it. Martin's obviously moved on somewhat since leaving this parish.
    I think he went off politics after his incident in the 2010 General Election.
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,637
    Surely Nicky Morgan's challenge is trying to keep hold of her seat next May? She could be my own personal Portillo, if you get my drift.
  • Options
    TSE Thanks for the Battle of Blenheim link.
    Anything that involves a mound of dead Frenchmen is peachy with me.
    Although a Slovakian colleague of mine tells me that peachy means a much different word in his language. Something to do with a 'lady garden' by all accounts.
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,826
    JackW basically told me to get a grip and man up this morning!
  • Options
    ZenPaganZenPagan Posts: 689
    FPT

Off-topic: one for the PB London brains trust.

I managed to get some tickets for Kate Bush's concert next month (at the Hammersmith Apollo), and it will involve us spending the night in London. We've had a rather interesting year so far, and as the event is near both our fifth wedding anniversary, and tenth going-out anniversary, I wish to treat a special lady to something special.

We live in Cambridge, so go to London often, and London in itself is not a treat. What I would like is a real 'wow' afternoon event, followed by a meal, then the concert and a hotel (central London), before we head back the following morning.

As I'm a skinflint, say £500 (but would be willing to spend more for something really Wow!). But it does not necessarily have to be about money: we're not extravagant people. The experience and memories would mean more.

Any ideas?

I have spent many happy afternoons at the Globe theatre in london. Not everyones cup of tea but I personally find it adds a lot to the play seeing it in the design of venue it was specifically written for

Can I also interrupt this message to profer sincere apologies to those I played diplomacy with, I started a new job in April and the 8 hours of total commuting each day which was only meant to last about 3 weeks until the office move turned into 3 months and I was too exhausted when I got home to do much more than sleep thus causing me to miss many deadlines as also sites like diplomacy are blocked at work and I dont do smartphones as yet
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,988
    Good evening, everyone.

Mr. Financier, cheers for that heads up, I had no idea it was on.
  • Options
    HurstLlamaHurstLlama Posts: 9,098
    @ZenPagan

Re the diplomacy thing. No problem these happen to us all. Maybe a note explaining the situation during the game might have relieved the frustrations a tad.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    Icarus said:

Been out today - what's happened?

And TSE, thanks for no. 16. I told you that the War of the Spanish Succession was a fun war, as wars go. By the way, I'm sure when I was a kid I was taught a useful mnemonic* for remembering the battles of the war (Blenheim, Ramilles, Malplaquet and Oudenarde) - can anyone help?

* A bit like "Able Bodied Seamen Catch Hairy Pirates" as a way to remember Henry VI's wives (Aragon, Boleyn, Seymour, Cleeves, Howard, Parr)
  • Options
    Mr. Pagan, not to worry, old bean.

BBC2 prog on Scotland's vote on now.
  • Options

@ZenPagan

Re the diplomacy thing. No problem these happen to us all. Maybe a note explaining the situation during the game might have relieved the frustrations a tad.

Yes and something I should have done, unfortunately I kept putting it off because I kept being told the office move was imminent :( its now midway through august and we were meant to move in june. Ah well should know better I guess.

By the way to Mr Dancer. Havent forgotten the list just havent had time to make it yet due to the aforementioned problems

• Options
    edited August 2014
    1. Michael Gove will always be a hate figure for the teaching establishment. Nothing Nicky Morgan does can change that.

2. Lynton did well with Boris, but Boris probably would have done well anyway. I'm not sure Lynton really understands the sensibilities of British voters Vs Aussie votes. He's better than anything Labour has though.

3. We all [heart] Boris.

4. Owen who?

5. Sir John has a point, as usual.

6. I think George Osborne's slow motion take-over of the government to be very Brownian and rather sinister.

7. Great. More taxes on energy, flying, petrol, business, etc... But how does that help the "cost of living crisis?"

8. We need to get fracking.

9. Salmond needs to man up!

10. Any money that's not spent by Better Together could go into the Conservative Party?

11. Ultimately the only people responsible for committing suicide are those that do it.

12. Perhaps taking on ISIS will allow us to purge our sin's Re. Iraq?

13. Go Theresa.

14. Shame the NOTW isn't exposing judges still.

15. Brit's are nuts when it comes to animals versus humans.

16. I do wonder whether at the start of WW1 we should have let Germany have France. France has always been our enemy, historically.

17. Do we care?
  • Options
    Mr. Pagan, that's perfectly alright :)

[I have forgotten what 'the list' refers to. Did we arrange a number of assassinations?]
  • Options
    Less than half an hour until the Tories next crossover (only joking).

After yesterday, a 4% Labour lead or less will seem like progress.
  • Options
    Charles said:

Icarus said:

And TSE, thanks for no. 16. I told you that the War of the Spanish Succession was a fun war, as wars go. By the way, I'm sure when I was a kid I was taught a useful mnemonic* for remembering the battles of the war (Blenheim, Ramilles, Malplaquet and Oudenarde) - can anyone help?

* A bit like "Able Bodied Seamen Catch Hairy Pirates" as a way to remember Henry VI's wives (Aragon, Boleyn, Seymour, Cleeves, Howard, Parr)
    Only mnemonic I remember from my school days is

Richard of York Gave Battle In Vain (or Roy G Biv) for the order of colours of the rainbow.
  • Options

Mr. Pagan, that's perfectly alright :)

[I have forgotten what 'the list' refers to. Did we arrange a number of assassinations?]

Surplus books :)
  • Options
    Charles said:

Icarus said:

Under pressure from Lady Jack he has retired from the fray.
  • Options
    Mr. Pagan, ah, I know the feeling.
  • Options

Charles said:

Icarus said:

Richard of York Gave Battle In Vain (or Roy G Biv) for the order of colours of the rainbow.
    Many Voles Enjoy Munching Jam Sandwiches Until Nightfall
  • Options
    Some days it is hard to tell the spoofs and astroturfers apart from the real things

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BuyUjrTCEAA1uMv.png:large
  • Options
    Icarus said:

Charles said:

Icarus said:

Under pressure from Lady Jack he has retired from the fray.
    So far I have resisted that pressure!

But the Grand Tour idea does sound tempting!
  • Options
    FPT
    JackW said:

Just a quick note of site courtesy.

From tomorrow I shall be taking a break from PB for an indeterminate period.

I will ensure the fortnightly ARSE 2015 General Election and JackW Dozen projections are updated accurately and published under my name and I shall possibly pop back on 18/19 Sep to accept the plaudits for McARSE

Mrs JackW has convinced me to take a lengthy break and enjoy some restful home and foreign travel and the itinerary looks worthy of an aged Scottish Jacobite.

Enjoy PB .... I always have ....

Enjoy your rest and come back soon. :)
  • Options

Charles said:

Icarus said:

What's that all about.
  • Options

Charles said:

Icarus said:

What does that stand for?
  • Options
    Y0kelY0kel Posts: 2,307
    edited August 2014
    Iraq:

Al Maliki is reportedly going to step aside as Iraqi PM after the Iranians kindly guaranteed he will still have a role in the political scene and wont face prosecution for some of his mis-demeanours during his term in office.

Stories have it that some of his associated militias have left the streets.

We await to see if he does indeed step aside.
  • Options
    Charles said:

Charles said:

Icarus said:

Mercury, Venus, etc.
  • Options

Charles said:

Charles said:

Icarus said:

Mercury, Venus, etc.
    So what would have been the P, if Pluto was still a planet?
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    LiBeBCNOFNe
    NaMgAlSiPSClAr

OK, not really the same, but saying them as words works.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,972

Some days it is hard to tell the spoofs and astroturfers apart from the real things

Yeah I tend to avoid twitter if I want intelligent debate..........
  • Options
    @JosiasJessop

Re the London trip, I concur with Mr. Putney's suggestion of the National Portrait Gallery followed by an early dinner at the Wolseley. Two things though.

Firstly in a couple of hours you will get through one period, one set of rooms at the NPG, no more. So if you are going there I'd plan ahead as to what period interests you most and go for that. On a similar basis you might think about planning a trip to the National next door and arriving a bit earlier to have lunch there. I rather like the restaurant in the Sainsbury wing at the National (not the self-service cafeteria but the sit down and be served nicely restaurant, make sure you book to get a table with a fine view over Trafalgar Square).

Secondly the Wolseley restaurant as recommended by Mr Putney is jolly good indeed but it is not the sort of place you want to rush. So you might want to check the time of the concert. I am noot sure you'll have time for a meal at the Wolseley and get to the concert.

Why not go somewhere for tea. Fortnums is my favourite, not as pretnetious or expensive as the Ritz or Claridges, but still best to book especially this time of year. Then after tea go the concert and then come back for super at the Wolseley, last orders is about midnight from memory.

Lunch the national, tea at Fortnums and Supper at the Wolseley: Mrs Jessop will go to bed contentedly full.

Can't really help with where to stay. I don't stay up in Town much these days. A chum of mine who does swears by a place called Le Capital, in Basil Street just along from the back of Harrods. Its the only place his missus, a Dutch lady with seriously good taste and in bucket loads, will stay in London. He is seriously wealthy, so I have no idea what the prices are like. Claridges and the like I would avoid, they are over-run with very wealthy but very unpleasant people these days. Best avoided.
  • Options

Charles said:

Charles said:

Icarus said:

Mercury, Venus, etc.
    Missing Pluto surely?

• Options

Charles said:

Charles said:

Icarus said:

Mercury, Venus, etc.
    Interesting.

Then there's always Dog: Caesar had some jam for tea, Brutus ate a rat.
  • Options
    GrandioseGrandiose Posts: 2,323
    ZenPagan said:

Charles said:

Charles said:

Icarus said:

Mercury, Venus, etc.
    Missing Pluto surely?

Delisted as a planet by the International whatever.

#weremember
  • Options
    RobD said:

Twitter's great, I've been called all sorts on there.
  • Options
    ZenPagan said:

Charles said:

Charles said:

Icarus said:

Mercury, Venus, etc.
    Missing Pluto surely?

Let's not open that can of worms!
  • Options

RobD said:

A bounder, and a cad?
  • Options
    Grandiose said:

ZenPagan said:

Charles said:

Charles said:

Icarus said:

Mercury, Venus, etc.
    Missing Pluto surely?

#weremember
    I want this t-shirt

http://rlv.zcache.com/dear_iau_your_mom_thought_i_was_big_enough_pluto_tshirt-ra4dda899bfc047f8ad4992f5e4384f5e_804gs_512.jpg?bg=0xffffff
  • Options
    RobD said:

RobD said:

A bounder, and a cad?
    A racist, an Islamophobe, a socialist, a Lib Dem, a deluded cybernat, a fascist unionist.
  • Options
    Grandiose said:

ZenPagan said:

Charles said:

Charles said:

Icarus said:

Mercury, Venus, etc.
    Missing Pluto surely?

#weremember
    Maybe so but I suspect the quoted mnemonic predates the silliness of the delisting. For those of my age pluto is a planet and will remain a planet despite some astronomers trying to change the definition which is all it boils down to really

• Options

RobD said:

RobD said:

A bounder, and a cad?
    A racist, an Islamophobe, a socialist, a Lib Dem, a deluded cybernat, a fascist unionist.
    That sums up the definition of "bounder" perfectly ;-)
  • Options
    Sun Politics @Sun_Politics · 10s
    YouGov/Sun poll tonight - Labour lead down one to three points: CON 35%, LAB 38%, LD 8%, UKIP 11%
  • Options
    Charles said:

Charles said:

Charles said:

Icarus said:

Mercury, Venus, etc.
    Interesting.

Speak of the Devil and he shall appear! Good evening, Mr. Chalres, I was just thinking of you as you are probably the best man on this site who can help Mr. Jessop. His request was towards the end of the last thread, but in a nutshell he wants to take his wife for a wow afternoon, meal and somewhere to stay in London for about £500 all told, but he has to go to a concert in the evening. Can you come up with some ideas, I am sure you can.
  • Options

RobD said:

RobD said:

A bounder, and a cad?
    They called you a lib dem? I hope you reported them to the police

• Options
    I have modified the original, which ended "Under New Planets". A bit ironic really - planets to signify Pluto!
  • Options
    ZenPagan said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

A bounder, and a cad?
    They called you a lib dem? I hope you reported them to the police

Well, I'm likely to vote Lib Dem next year, so that one might have been prescient.

It was the Islamophobe that really amused me.
  • Options
    GrandioseGrandiose Posts: 2,323
    ZenPagan said:

Grandiose said:

ZenPagan said:

Charles said:

Charles said:

Icarus said:

Mercury, Venus, etc.
    Missing Pluto surely?

#weremember
    Maybe so but I suspect the quoted mnemonic predates the silliness of the delisting. For those of my age pluto is a planet and will remain a planet despite some astronomers trying to change the definition which is all it boils down to really

Now I think about it, "The International Whatever" would make a good band name.
  • Options

@JosiasJessop

Re the London trip, I concur with Mr. Putney's suggestion of the National Portrait Gallery followed by an early dinner at the Wolseley. Two things though.

Firstly in a couple of hours you will get through one period, one set of rooms at the NPG, no more. So if you are going there I'd plan ahead as to what period interests you most and go for that. On a similar basis you might think about planning a trip to the National next door and arriving a bit earlier to have lunch there. I rather like the restaurant in the Sainsbury wing at the National (not the self-service cafeteria but the sit down and be served nicely restaurant, make sure you book to get a table with a fine view over Trafalgar Square).

Secondly the Wolseley restaurant as recommended by Mr Putney is jolly good indeed but it is not the sort of place you want to rush. So you might want to check the time of the concert. I am noot sure you'll have time for a meal at the Wolseley and get to the concert.

Why not go somewhere for tea. Fortnums is my favourite, not as pretnetious or expensive as the Ritz or Claridges, but still best to book especially this time of year. Then after tea go the concert and then come back for super at the Wolseley, last orders is about midnight from memory.

Lunch the national, tea at Fortnums and Supper at the Wolseley: Mrs Jessop will go to bed contentedly full.

Can't really help with where to stay. I don't stay up in Town much these days. A chum of mine who does swears by a place called Le Capital, in Basil Street just along from the back of Harrods. Its the only place his missus, a Dutch lady with seriously good taste and in bucket loads, will stay in London. He is seriously wealthy, so I have no idea what the prices are like. Claridges and the like I would avoid, they are over-run with very wealthy but very unpleasant people these days. Best avoided.

I can't argue with any of that and 10/10 for planning out the day so well.
  • Options
    compouter2compouter2 Posts: 2,371

YouGov/Sun poll tonight - Labour lead down one to three points: CON 35%, LAB 38%, LD 8%, UKIP 11%

Thank god for that!
  • Options
    Oh, Oh Oh, to touch and feel a virgin girl's vagina and hymen.
    (Medical School - Cranial Nerves I - XII)
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,873
    Tonights YG LAB 341 CON 262 EICIPM
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,044

@JosiasJessop

Thanks for that (and the same to ZenPagan below). We've done most of the NPG before - Mrs J's mum is a painter - but she wants to do the Courtaulds gallery, which we've never got around to. But we could do that on a day trip to London, and wouldn't feel *special* enough for this trip.

Also thanks for the hotel suggestions. I've stayed in a couple of posh ones in London in the past, but not for well over a decade. I'd never even contemplated Claridges and the like - I'd always assumed they weren't really for the likes of me.

Mrs J did not like my suggestion that I pitch my North Face Westwind tent in Victoria Embankment Gardens. Even for me, that would be pushing 'wild' camping. But it would be a memorable night, and at least the cells would be nice and warm... ;-)
  • Options
    Ed Miliband’s “weak leadership” and lack of clear policies is the biggest concern among swing voters ahead of the general election campaign, research has shown.

Voters are "frustrated" by Mr Miliband and have been left with “absolutely no awareness” of the “summer offensive” launched by Labour in recent weeks, according to the Conservative research seen by The Daily Telegraph.

Many of the people who took part in the research, carried out in the Midlands this month, are swing voters who voted for Labour at the last election, it is understood.

Mr Miliband “remains voters’ greatest hesitation against voting Labour”, the research found.

“Voters are increasingly emotive in their annoyance towards Miliband who is providing them with no alternative choice. He remains voters’ greatest hesitation against voting Labour.”

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/labour/11029688/Ed-Milibands-weak-leadership-is-swing-voters-biggest-concern-research-shows.html
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,010
    @jj, Can I suggest swapping the Wolsey for its sister restaurant Le Caprice, which is just around the corner and which I'd regard as rather more intimate and slightly better value.
  • Options
    Mnemonic with a geological flavour..

The Girls Can Flirt And Other Queer Things Can Do

The Moh Scale of hardness for minerals

Talc
    Gypsum
    Calcite
    Fluorite
    Apatite
    Orthoclase
    Quartz
    Topaz
    Corundum
    Diamond
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    rcs1000 said:

@jj, Can I suggest swapping the Wolsey for its sister restaurant Le Caprice, which is just around the corner and which I'd regard as rather more intimate and slightly better value.

A very good suggestion, Mr. Robert.

Mr. Jessop if the National is not enough of a wow and you have done the NPG I am at a bit of a loss. Given your penchant for engineering there is the Science Museum, but I doubt Mrs Jessop would be impressed and this time of year it is over-run with foreign children hunting in great packs. Also I have no idea of where you'd get a decent luncheon in Kensington.
  • Options
    @TSE Surprised you didn't include SClub7's reunion in your Dirty 17..
  • Options

Encouraging and important that the Tories keep hitting that 35% mark. When UKIP lose support closer to the GE, that should give them a shot at it.
  • Options
    London suggestion: Visit UCL to see the stuffed remains of Jeremy Bentham.
  • Options
    MikeKMikeK Posts: 9,053
    After Blenheim by Robert Southey

IT was a summer evening,
    Old Kaspar's work was done,
    And he before his cottage door
    Was sitting in the sun;
    And by him sported on the green 5
    His little grandchild Wilhelmine.

She saw her brother Peterkin
    Roll something large and round,
    Which he beside the rivulet
    In playing there had found: 10
    He came to ask what he had found
    That was so large and smooth and round.

Old Kaspar took it from the boy,
    Who stood expectant by;
    And then the old man shook his head, 15
    And with a natural sigh—
    "'Tis some poor fellow's skull," said he,
    "Who fell in the great victory.

"I find them in the garden,
    For there's many here about; 20
    And often when I go to plough
    The ploughshare turns them out.
    For many thousand men," said he,
    "Were slain in that great victory."

"Now tell us what 'twas all about," 25
    Young Peterkin he cries;
    And little Wilhelmine looks up
    With wonder-waiting eyes;
    "Now tell us all about the war,
    And what they fought each other for." 30

"It was the English," Kaspar cried,
    "Who put the French to rout;
    But what they fought each other
    I could not well make out.
    But everybody said," quoth he, 35
    "That 'twas a famous victory.

"My father lived at Blenheim then,
    Yon little stream hard by;
    They burnt his dwelling to the ground,
    And he was forced to fly: 40
    So with his wife and child he fled,
    Nor had he where to rest his head.

"With fire and sword the country round
    Was wasted far and wide,
    And many a childing mother then 45
    And newborn baby died:
    But things like that, you know, must be
    At every famous victory.

"They say it was a shocking sight
    After the field was won, 50
    For many thousand bodies here
    Lay rotting in the sun;
    But things like that, you know, must be
    After a famous victory.

"Great praise the Duke of Marlbro' won, 55
    And our good Prince Eugene"—
    "Why 'twas a very wicked thing!"
    Said little Welhelmine;
    "Nay—nay, my little girl," quoth he,
    "It was a famous victory. 60

"And everybody praised the Duke
    Who this great fight did win"—
    "But what good came of it at last?"
    Quoth little Peterkin.
    "Why that I cannot tell," said he, 65
    "But 'twas a famous victory."
  • Options

Ed Miliband’s “weak leadership” and lack of clear policies is the biggest concern among swing voters ahead of the general election campaign, research has shown.

Voters are "frustrated" by Mr Miliband and have been left with “absolutely no awareness” of the “summer offensive” launched by Labour in recent weeks, according to the Conservative research seen by The Daily Telegraph.

Many of the people who took part in the research, carried out in the Midlands this month, are swing voters who voted for Labour at the last election, it is understood.

Mr Miliband “remains voters’ greatest hesitation against voting Labour”, the research found.

“Voters are increasingly emotive in their annoyance towards Miliband who is providing them with no alternative choice. He remains voters’ greatest hesitation against voting Labour.”

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/labour/11029688/Ed-Milibands-weak-leadership-is-swing-voters-biggest-concern-research-shows.html

ARF!
  • Options

Speak of the Devil and he shall appear! Good evening, Mr. Chalres, I was just thinking of you as you are probably the best man on this site who can help Mr. Jessop. His request was towards the end of the last thread, but in a nutshell he wants to take his wife for a wow afternoon, meal and somewhere to stay in London for about £500 all told, but he has to go to a concert in the evening. Can you come up with some ideas, I am sure you can.

Logistics will be key. If the concert is at 6.15 in Hammersmith and you need to get there at say 5.30 to allow for queuing you are going to be traveling right through rush hour. If this is the timing, I'd think you'd do better doing a nice lunch and then something relaxing in the afternoon. (Most of my recommendations below are based on evening meals as I tend to do more formal things for lunch or grab a sandwich in the office)

Normally for this kind of thing I'd recommend La Poule Au Pot (you go for the ambiance rather than the food which is good French peasant food) http://www.pouleaupot.co.uk/index.htm It'd be about £50-60 a head, including wine.

The Ledbury is always fun: casually swish (or should that be swishly casual?), more of a people watching joint, and you may be lucky to get a table at this short notice. It's expensive though - £90 for a four course evening menu plus wines. You may get better value at lunchtime though http://www.theledbury.com/

Sally Clarke's has always been a personal favorite, although I haven't been in a couple of years. Concept there was you used to turn up and you'd get whatever Sally had cooked that day (make sure you get a table upstairs). They tried introducing a la carte, but that seems less differentiated. www.sallyclarke.com

Hotels I'm not a good person: I usually just stay in a chain hotel (Hyatt, Hilton, etc) rather than anywhere particularly flash. I'm more interested in functionality and space than paying up for a dirty rug on the floor or a tiny room in an achingly trendy joint.

Something like 54 will cost you around £150 a night for a double room http://www.fiftyfourboutiquehotel.co.uk). Or you could go to the Radisson Vanderbilt which will be more conventional for a similar price. (http://www.radissonblu-edwardian.com/feature.do?feature=ourhotels)
  • Options
    MikeSmithsonMikeSmithson Posts: 7,382

ARF!
    That sounds like a pile of spin. If they've got the polling then it should be published. If not ignore.

• Options
    DecrepitJohnLDecrepitJohnL Posts: 13,300
    GIN1138 said:

17. Do we care?

Yes, because the b in pb is betting.

Ladbrokes have two major problems -- first, their increasing reluctance to take a bet; second, their website really is not fit for purpose.

• Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548

GIN1138 said:

17. Do we care?

Yes, because the b in pb is betting.

Ladbrokes have two major problems -- first, their increasing reluctance to take a bet; second, their website really is not fit for purpose.

Ladbrokes takes forever to load on android.

Sort it Shadsy!
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    Diane Abbott wants the Iraq crisis to go to the UN Security Council.

Has she heard of someone called Vladimir Putin?
  • Options

Charles said:

Charles said:

Charles said:

Icarus said:

Mercury, Venus, etc.
    Interesting.

As for things to do:

- If you like museums, I'd suggest something a little more off the beaten track than the NG or NPG; more human scale. Personally I always like the Wallace which manages to combine suits of armour with Fragonard and Boucher in an almost coherent way (www.wallacecollection.org/). Alternatively, the Courtauld has a good collection which many people miss (www.courtauld.ac.uk)
    - For something a bit different, you might like the Gilbert Collection at the V&A (www.vam.ac.uk/content/articles/t/the-rosalinde-and-arthur-gilbert-collection)
    - Alternatively you could wait until January and come to see the collection of Lancashire mummies and Roman coins that we are putting on display at Temple Place ;-)

If you don't like museums so much, have you ever been on the London Eye? if the weather is good then it can be a really interesting panorama if that's your sort of thing.

Hope that helps...!

We expect a full report...
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    Thanks Mr. C.

The London Eye and that stretch of the South Bank along to Southwark might do very nicely for a younger couple. My son took his girlfriend there the other week and they had a very enjoyable few hours. The weather would have to be good though.
  • Options

Oh, Oh Oh, to touch and feel a virgin girl's vagina and hymen.
    (Medical School - Cranial Nerves I - XII)

That's 13. Perhaps you are splitting the eighth in two....

But do you remember why "Twenty Zulus Buggered My Cat"
  • Options
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/mps-expenses/conservative-mps-expenses/11029709/How-taxpayers-helped-fund-1m-home-of-minister-who-cant-live-on-MPs-pay.html

Argh, why couldn't he have just quit for "family reasons" rather than saying "oh I couldn't afford to live on my immense salary+benefits". Idiot.
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    "New YouGov research, reveals that Brits are more likely to come to the aid of their pet than to help a male or teenage stranger in danger."

http://yougov.co.uk/news/2014/08/12/brits-are-more-likely-help-their-pet-man-or-teenag/
  • Options

ARF!
    That sounds like a pile of spin. If they've got the polling then it should be published. If not ignore.

Doesn't sound like polling at all.

Far more likely to be a piece of focus group research that has been selectively briefed to the Telegraph.

I assume that focus groups are not covered by the BPC rules on publishing though?
  • Options
    Charles said:

Charles said:

Charles said:

Charles said:

Icarus said:

Mercury, Venus, etc.
    Interesting.

As for things to do:

- If you like museums, I'd suggest something a little more off the beaten track than the NG or NPG; more human scale. Personally I always like the Wallace which manages to combine suits of armour with Fragonard and Boucher in an almost coherent way (www.wallacecollection.org/). Alternatively, the Courtauld has a good collection which many people miss (www.courtauld.ac.uk)
    - For something a bit different, you might like the Gilbert Collection at the V&A (www.vam.ac.uk/content/articles/t/the-rosalinde-and-arthur-gilbert-collection)
    - Alternatively you could wait until January and come to see the collection of Lancashire mummies and Roman coins that we are putting on display at Temple Place ;-)

If you don't like museums so much, have you ever been on the London Eye? if the weather is good then it can be a really interesting panorama if that's your sort of thing.

Hope that helps...!

We expect a full report...
    The Tate Modern is always good, and the top floor dining is very pleasant with a great view over London. I agree with tea at Fortnum and Mason, it is always a treat, and plenty of time to get to Hammersmith.
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

"New YouGov research, reveals that Brits are more likely to come to the aid of their pet than to help a male or teenage stranger in danger."

http://yougov.co.uk/news/2014/08/12/brits-are-more-likely-help-their-pet-man-or-teenag/

As a male I am appalled that no one would come to help me.... saying that I bet a kitten in distress would look a darn sight cuter.
  • Options

ARF!

Exactly. ** Cough ** Dan Hodges ghost poll ** Cough **
  • Options
    RobD said:

AndyJS said:

As a male I am appalled that no one would come to help me.... saying that I bet a kitten in distress would look a darn sight cuter.
    I'll refrain from making the obvious innuendo.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,010
    Can I just second the Wallace Collection, the best unknown gallery in London
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    Support for British bombing of militants in Iraq grew from 37 per cent on Monday to 40 per cent yesterday [Tuesday] according to a YouGov poll for The Times, with 36 per cent opposing in both. By comparison, only 25 per cent backed intervention in Syria a year ago after its citizens were subjected to chemical attacks.

http://www.thetimes.co.uk/tto/news/uk/article4174699.ece
  • Options

The Tate Modern is always good, and the top floor dining is very pleasant with a great view over London. I agree with tea at Fortnum and Mason, it is always a treat, and plenty of time to get to Hammersmith.

You really, really do have to be into modern art for the Tate Modern, though Dr Sox. It is not for the feint-hearted. I did it once and never again. I'd sooner take a cheese grater covered with oven cleaner to my ... well never mind. The restaurant does have a nice view though, the service was OK but the food was a bit lacking - a bit too trendy and pretentious, like the rest of the place.
  • Options
    Wonder if we will need to employ these to find the next "Conservative" poll "seen" by the Telegraph/Times/Express/Mail/Sun/Hodges ?

http://images.sodahead.com/polls/000117844/polls_GhostHunters_3352_804963_answer_1_xlarge.jpeg
  • Options

You really, really do have to be into modern art for the Tate Modern, though Dr Sox. It is not for the feint-hearted. I did it once and never again. I'd sooner take a cheese grater covered with oven cleaner to my ... well never mind. The restaurant does have a nice view though, the service was OK but the food was a bit lacking - a bit too trendy and pretentious, like the rest of the place.
    It is one of my favourites, but I do rather like heavy engineering. There are better places to eat in London, but few with such a view.

• Options
    RobD said:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/mps-expenses/conservative-mps-expenses/11029709/How-taxpayers-helped-fund-1m-home-of-minister-who-cant-live-on-MPs-pay.html

Argh, why couldn't he have just quit for "family reasons" rather than saying "oh I couldn't afford to live on my immense salary+benefits". Idiot.

I refer the honourable gentleman to the post I made this morning on this very subject in which I said, Simmonds is a total C word, that even the Telegraph were gunning for him, that public service will be better for him having left it and he is doing and will do no small damage to the Conservative party.
  • Options
    edited August 2014

It is one of my favourites, but I do rather like heavy engineering. There are better places to eat in London, but few with such a view.

Talking of places to eat with a stunning view, has anyone been to the Shard? That might be a wow experience for Mrs Jessop and she can always pick up some nice cheese in Borough Market afterwards. Maybe if she is into history visit Southwark Cathedral, which I have always felt doesn't get the attention it merits.
  • Options
    FinancierFinancier Posts: 3,916
    rcs1000 said:

Can I just second the Wallace Collection, the best unknown gallery in London

Agree that and the Courtauld. For London history and especially the Roman bit, the London Museum is worth a visit.

Fortnums is good and is near the Royal Academy ( a good mixture) or in that area have a look in one of the private art dealers. For more window shopping walk through the Burlington Arcade and pop into Aspreys who are very amenable to visitors and Mrs JJ can cast her eye on that future anniversary present.

To stay, a boutique hotel like 54, or a room in a modern private club like Home House in Portman Square which can be arranged for non-members.
This discussion has been closed.