Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Local By-Election Preview: August 7th 2014

2»

Comments

• Options

RobD said:

RobD said:

Danny565 said:

Danny565 said:

@Sun_Politics: YouGov/Sun poll tonight - Labour lead back up two to five points: CON 33%, LAB 38%, LD 7%, UKIP 12%

Probably too early for any Boris impact, so UKPR likely to remain unchanged for all three major parties.
    RN is probably right - polls should now be ignored until after the holiday period.
    Eh? Why would there be any Boris impact?

I mean, I can see the argument that Boris as leader would drag back people to the Tories (though even that's debateable), but why would Boris simply standing as an MP draw people in?
    There was a bit of a Boris Halo effect on some of the polls when he was running/elected as London Mayor in 2008 and 2012.
    Isn't that more because the story was of Tory success, so people were almost jumping on the bandwagon?

I just don't really understand why someone who wasn't going to vote Tory last week would decide to this week just because Boris was standing (unless you were actually in the constituency he was standing in, obviously). I mean it's not like people didn't already know that Boris was a Tory.
    The logic is thus (I have my doubts)

People like Boris (he's the most popular politician in the country)

Boris is about the rejoin the parliamentary party

People will want to vote for the Tory party, 'cause Boris is back
    The public is too clever to risk a Tory bounce prior to the IndyRef.... ;)
    Indeed, we're the Conservative and UNIONIST Party
    I'll remind Sunil next time he's on!
    Thanks, I'm worried about Sunil, he's slipped from the path recently, I mean he voted UKIP at the Euros.
    I think it might because he is spending so much time in the Midlands. His mum's influence wearing off a bit perhaps.
    I'm worried the next time I see him, he's going to have a Brummie accent.

God knows what'll happen when I ask him for a cup of tea.
  • Options
    MarkSeniorMarkSenior Posts: 4,699
    Greens held Stroud Valley ward no figures yet
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,291

dr_spyn said:

The headline on the front page of The Sun appeals to my inner Finbar Saunders

Woman navy officer sunk by seaman. Heave-ho for Jolly Rodgerer

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Bud5hNuIQAAUGtO.jpg

Twas on the good ship Venus...

I'll shut up, one of my naval jokes got me dumped a few years ago.
    Then there is that naval toast which the PC bridge have removed from wardrooms.

"Wives, and sweethearts."

"May they never meet."
  • Options
    dr_spyn said:

@ TheScreamingEagles Posts: 13,189
    11:13PM
    dr_spyn said:
    » show previous quotes

She's got a lovely navel uniform?

No, I compared her to the Bermuda triangle, both have a swallowed a lot of [redacted]

In my defence, I was very, very, very, very drunk
  • Options
    MikeKMikeK Posts: 9,053
    edited August 2014
    Grandiose said:

MikeK said:
    "Westminster Council’s report shows that the number of Romanian rough sleepers in Central London has risen from 20 in January to 59 last month."

Not even a swallow, let alone a summer.

"It means there has been a 25 per cent increase in the number of charges against Romanians this year."

Pouring, is it? Really?
    If you believe those figures your even dumber than I thought. BTW Westminster is not London, if you strolled down King St Hammersmith, any evening, and see the buggers settling down for the night in the doorways it would turn your hair. But if you walked alone they would have your pants off.
  • Options
    I think Worthing is a UKIP gain
  • Options
    #BritainElects ‏@britainelects 28s

Castle (Worthing) result:

UKIP - 36.9% (+21.9)
    CON - 31.5% (+3.4)
    LDEM - 15.7% (-23.2)
    LAB - 12.8% (-5.2)
    GRN - 3.2% (+3.2)
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 59,022
    edited August 2014

UKIP - 36.9% (+21.9)
    CON - 31.5% (+3.4)
    LDEM - 15.7% (-23.2)
    LAB - 12.8% (-5.2)
    GRN - 3.2% (+3.2)

Something about a sleazy LD on the slide? ;p
  • Options
    RobD said:

UKIP - 36.9% (+21.9)
    CON - 31.5% (+3.4)
    LDEM - 15.7% (-23.2)
    LAB - 12.8% (-5.2)
    GRN - 3.2% (+3.2)

Something about a sleazy LD on the slide? ;p
    Well yes, 13.1% swing from LD to Con means the Tories are going to hammer the Lib Dems next year.
  • Options

UKIP - 36.9% (+21.9)
    CON - 31.5% (+3.4)
    LDEM - 15.7% (-23.2)
    LAB - 12.8% (-5.2)
    GRN - 3.2% (+3.2)

My prediction of 25% average UKIP vote tonight may be exceeded. Luverly Jubberly!!
  • Options
    SeanT said:

UKIP - 36.9% (+21.9)
    CON - 31.5% (+3.4)
    LDEM - 15.7% (-23.2)
    LAB - 12.8% (-5.2)
    GRN - 3.2% (+3.2)

If I read it correctly, that is a phenomenally good result for UKIP, phenomenally bad for the LDs, and I can't believe I am commenting on a council election in Worthing.
    Heh, we've all been there.
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,291

dr_spyn said:

@ TheScreamingEagles Posts: 13,189
    11:13PM
    dr_spyn said:
    » show previous quotes

She's got a lovely navel uniform?

No, I compared her to the Bermuda triangle, both have a swallowed a lot of [redacted]

In my defence, I was very, very, very, very drunk

Could have been Dr Evil's submarine joke...
  • Options
    Con up in another by-election

#BritainElects ‏@britainelects 1m

Warboys & Bury (Huntingdonshire) result:

CON - 46.5% (+0.2)
    UKIP - 42.2% (+16.1)
    LDEM - 5.9% (-6.9)
    LAB - 5.4% (-9.3)
  • Options
    SeanT said:

UKIP - 36.9% (+21.9)
    CON - 31.5% (+3.4)
    LDEM - 15.7% (-23.2)
    LAB - 12.8% (-5.2)
    GRN - 3.2% (+3.2)

If I read it correctly, that is a phenomenally good result for UKIP, phenomenally bad for the LDs, and I can't believe I am commenting on a council election in Worthing.
    From bringing to our attention the plight of an entire civilisation to commenting on council by-election results, you certainly do have quite a range ;-)
  • Options
    James Manning ‏@JamesManning4 49m

Close to 100 Tory MPs have already pledged to back Boris as the next Tory leader - a @tnewtondunn exclusive:

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/politics/5811186/100-mps-back-boris-johnson-tory-leader.html
  • Options

SeanT said:

UKIP - 36.9% (+21.9)
    CON - 31.5% (+3.4)
    LDEM - 15.7% (-23.2)
    LAB - 12.8% (-5.2)
    GRN - 3.2% (+3.2)

And UKIP not doing bad in Bury:
    #BritainElects ‏@britainelects 2m
    CON - 46.5% (+0.2)
    UKIP - 42.2% (+16.1)
    LDEM - 5.9% (-6.9)
    LAB - 5.4% (-9.3)
  • Options
    SmarmeronSmarmeron Posts: 5,099
    @TheScreamingEagles
    Just for the hell of it

Q: What's the difference between a lawyer and a prostitute?
    A: A prostitute will stop screwing you when you're dead.
  • Options
    The Worthing result should be compared ( as should the Huntingdon result ) to that in May this year .
    May result in Castle ward Con 702 UKIP 653 LD 414 Lab 324 Green 88
  • Options
    Smarmeron said:

@TheScreamingEagles
    Just for the hell of it

They say the legal profession is the world's second oldest profession, having worked in it for the last fifteen years, I have to say that it bears a striking resemblance to the first.
  • Options
    MikeK said:

SeanT said:

UKIP - 36.9% (+21.9)
    CON - 31.5% (+3.4)
    LDEM - 15.7% (-23.2)
    LAB - 12.8% (-5.2)
    GRN - 3.2% (+3.2)

And UKIP not doing bad in Bury:
    #BritainElects ‏@britainelects 2m
    CON - 46.5% (+0.2)
    UKIP - 42.2% (+16.1)
    LDEM - 5.9% (-6.9)
    LAB - 5.4% (-9.3)
    The same candidate won the same seat in the CC elections in 2013
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,087
    edited August 2014

Close to 100 Tory MPs have already pledged to back Boris as the next Tory leader - a @tnewtondunn exclusive:

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/politics/5811186/100-mps-back-boris-johnson-tory-leader.html

Even 9 months out from the leadership contest it seems unwise of them to commit so soon.
  • Options
    MikeK said:

UKIP - 36.9% (+21.9)
    CON - 31.5% (+3.4)
    LDEM - 15.7% (-23.2)
    LAB - 12.8% (-5.2)
    GRN - 3.2% (+3.2)

My prediction of 25% average UKIP vote tonight may be exceeded. Luverly Jubberly!!
    The vote share changes are incorrect for both Castle and Warboys ward . britain elects ahould be giving the vote share changes from the last elections in May .
  • Options
    @TheScreamingEagles
    Money has no conscience.....but you can afford to buy some if you ever need it.
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    edited August 2014
    According to the Times, Obama is about to ignore SeanT's advice and get involved in the conflict in northern Iraq by launching air strikes.
  • Options

MikeK said:

UKIP - 36.9% (+21.9)
    CON - 31.5% (+3.4)
    LDEM - 15.7% (-23.2)
    LAB - 12.8% (-5.2)
    GRN - 3.2% (+3.2)

The vote share changes are incorrect for both Castle and Warboys ward . britain elects ahould be giving the vote share changes from the last elections in May .
    Spoilsport!!!
  • Options
    HurstLlamaHurstLlama Posts: 9,098

Smarmeron said:

@TheScreamingEagles
    Just for the hell of it

They say the legal profession is the world's second oldest profession, having worked in it for the last fifteen years, I have to say that it bears a striking resemblance to the first.
    On which point, Mr Eagles, can I respectfully remind you that your attention is required on the Diplomacy boar. The deadline is a little over 8 hours away.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,217
    AndyJS Believe SeanT was urging him to do precisely that
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Even 9 months out from the leadership contest it seems unwise of them to commit so soon.
    Like a good General, such as Caesar, Boris is marshalling his troops well.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,698
    edited August 2014

Smarmeron said:

@TheScreamingEagles
    Just for the hell of it

On which point, Mr Eagles, can I respectfully remind you that your attention is required on the Diplomacy boar. The deadline is a little over 8 hours away.
    Ooops, will do something now.

Edit: How do I finalise my moves?
  • Options
    Yay - I've finalised my orders.
  • Options

A common phrase for most great generals "yay, I've finalised my orders"... haha!
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    AndyJS said:

According to the Times, Obama is about to ignore SeanT's advice and get involved in the conflict in northern Iraq by launching air strikes.

After the photos we have seen of the victims of ISIS, I think Obama could incinerate every one of the buggers and still get a round of applause from most of the Human race (LIAMT will complain because proper legal formalities will not have been complied with and what are ISIS doing other than complying with their Holy Word, but that should not deter doing the right thing).

Mind you as it will be Yank air force they will probably, as so often in the past, bomb the wrong side.
  • Options
    nigel4englandnigel4england Posts: 4,800
    That David Ward seems like a nice bloke.
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    HYUFD said:

In his Telegraph piece a few weeks ago he was saying the West ought to step back from the Middle East and allow the flames of extreme Islam to burn out.
  • Options
    RobD said:

A common phrase for most great generals "yay, I've finalised my orders"... haha!
    I'll make Generals Jack D. Ripper and Buck Turgidson look calm and brilliant
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

HYUFD said:

In his Telegraph piece a few weeks ago he was saying the West ought to step back from the Middle East and allow the flames of extreme Islam to burn out.
    Hmm, I suspect that'd take quite a long time!
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,028

AndyJS said:

After the photos we have seen of the victims of ISIS, I think Obama could incinerate every one of the buggers and still get a round of applause from most of the Human race (LIAMT will complain because proper legal formalities will not have been complied with and what are ISIS doing other than complying with their Holy Word, but that should not deter doing the right thing).

Mind you as it will be Yank air force they will probably, as so often in the past, bomb the wrong side.
    No - it will be not at all against natural justice to bring death to the ISIS as they will be carrying out šahīd and it is better to be dead than a kafir according to their doctrine.
  • Options
    JBriskinJBriskin Posts: 2,380
    Mensch follows Fitalass??? I'm all confused and going to bed.

Night all
  • Options
    #BritainElects ‏@britainelects 10m
    Valley (Stroud) result:
    GRN - 42.8% (-4.3)
    LAB - 33.8% (+2.3)
    UKIP - 11.2% (+11.2)
    CON - 9.9% (-11.6)
    TUSC - 2.4% (+2.4)
  • Options
    AndyJS He is a journalist, he is meant to write provocative articles, but in this case ISIS are so extreme I think they are more likely to burn others if we do nothing
  • Options
    Edin_RokzEdin_Rokz Posts: 516

Yep! Saddam Hussein thought that the US Ambassador had given him a wink to proceed. And there is more than likely the chance that someone at Foggy Bottom wouldn't have realised the importance of the remark.

OK, So Saddam was off his trolley, as anyone who had read the Amnesty International reports at that time would agree on.

But Saddam wouldn't have done anything that the US/UK wouldn't have liked. Nuts he was, but not totally.

He had a couple of sons who made up for that.

And we did supply, the UK, arms and weapons systems to Iraq that were superior to the arms that our soldiers had at the time of the first Iraq war.

I wish I hadn't asked now. Your last paragraph is total bollocks, what weapons? The rest of the stuff of fantasy novels.

Does that mean our Challenger I tanks were inferior to the Iraqi T72s?

Of course they were Mr Eagles, that's why we lost so many tanks! There is still the question though as to what weapon systems the UK sold to the Iraqis that were better than those with which we equipped out own troops. That was the claim.

Well, there was that SuperGun we sold to Iraq, which was better than our MLRS trucks,

As an aside, the supergun story dominated my life for a while as a schoolboy.

But there was no actual super-gun was there? Outside Freddie Forsyth's imagination that is, and it wasn't a weapon system sold by the UK. It was some chunks of metal that combined with other chunks of metal from other countries may, possibly, have made a weapon that, absent a nuclear shell, would have feck all use.

I am still waiting for Mr. Rohkz to justify his original claim. I can't imagine why its taking him so long, surely he must have had weapons and systems in mind when he posted it.

Then why did Mossad top Gerald Bull?

The super gun plans existed, Project Babylon, the parts were made (but intercepted).

The original specifications, as far as I can remember the New Scientist article could have put a shell/missile into orbit and been able to be directed to target anywhere on the planet, but specifically after one orbit, Israel.

The Israelis did not trust Saddam in the slightest. I wonder why.

Oh, and the articles concerning the weapons found by the UK soldiers are available somewhere, suggest you check the Telegraph archive, but yes, we, the UK had been selling advanced weapons to Iraq and during the Iran/Iraq war started by Saddam to the Iranians as well.

Please see the Sword of Truth. Jonathon Aitken, involved in selling large artillery pieces to the Singapore navy which didn't have boats large enough to carry them. Funnily enough, a friend saw those guns when they were returned to BAE for refurbishment (bizarre, but true) under the terms of the contract, they were painted in Iran battle field colours and had Farsi instructions.
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    Pulpstar said:

AndyJS said:

No - it will be not at all against natural justice to bring death to the ISIS as they will be carrying out šahīd and it is better to be dead than a kafir according to their doctrine.
    Fine by me. There was at one stage a newspaper headline that said, X (a particularly nasty specimen of Iraqi manhood) would be happy to become a martyr. In the ready room of the local British army unit it went up on the wall with addendum, "Sniper platoon will be happy to help him gain his wish" - alas they never got the chance. So many lives would have been saved if they had, but as usual the Septics and the politicians screwed it up.

If the yanks decide to sort out ISIS, even from the air, I hope they revert to the Powell doctrine. In short: If you are going to war then don't fuck about with half measures. Do it properly or don't even bother trying.

• Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,028
    SeanT said:

NB

I also wonder if the media is warping perceptions. Stats show that deaths from war and violence are maybe at an all time low. Yet it seems, quite seriously, that we approach a precipice of horror, esp in the Middle East.

How are these two things reconciled? Which worldview is right? Is everything going to the dogs, or is everything for the best in the best of all possible worlds?

The world mirrors the human soul. Bi-polar.

Africa south of the Sahara is relatively peaceful at the moment ?

Could that square the circle ?
  • Options
    Mr. Rokz, you must learn to differentiate between fact and fiction. Freddie Forsythe writes jolly good stories but they are not histories. You still haven't given me one weapon or weapons system that was sold by us, or anyone else for that matter, to the the Iraqi's that was better than anything our own people had.
  • Options
    I've just realised, what exactly are we going to talk about post September?? No AV, no Scottish independence....
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

AndyJS said:

Fine by me. There was at one stage a newspaper headline that said, X (a particularly nasty specimen of Iraqi manhood) would be happy to become a martyr. In the ready room of the local British army unit it went up on the wall with addendum, "Sniper platoon will be happy to help him gain his wish" - alas they never got the chance. So many lives would have been saved if they had, but as usual the Septics and the politicians screwed it up.

If the yanks decide to sort out ISIS, even from the air, I hope they revert to the Powell doctrine. In short: If you are going to war then don't fuck about with half measures. Do it properly or don't even bother trying.

Decapitation strategy (poor choice of words, but it is what it is)... repeat until no one wants to be Caliph anymore.
  • Options
    RobD said:

I've just realised, what exactly are we going to talk about post September?? No AV, no Scottish independence....

Mr. D., there is something happening next May. Can't quite remember what just now, you know how the memory gets late at night. Anyway I am sure it will keep us all amused through the cold winter months after the parties' conferences have finished.
  • Options
    Tzippy Yarom ‏@zpyarom 1m
    Morning script:
    8am Hamas bomb israeli civilians. From heavy populated areas.
    8:10 Israel retaliates.
    8:30: Media: Israel kills civilians.
  • Options

RobD said:

Mr. D., there is something happening next May. Can't quite remember what just now, you know how the memory gets late at night. Anyway I am sure it will keep us all amused through the cold winter months after the parties' conferences have finished.
    True ;) It is just I forget what this place was like before AV and IndyRef!
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    If you lot ate bored, there is a test at the bottom of the link, pick a politician at random (or bias) and test them.....then post your assessment.
    http://www.hrzone.com/feature/people/are-you-employing-corporate-psychopath/141111
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,618
    edited August 2014
    RobD said:

RobD said:

Danny565 said:

Danny565 said:

@Sun_Politics: YouGov/Sun poll tonight - Labour lead back up two to five points: CON 33%, LAB 38%, LD 7%, UKIP 12%

Probably too early for any Boris impact, so UKPR likely to remain unchanged for all three major parties.
    RN is probably right - polls should now be ignored until after the holiday period.

I mean, I can see the argument that Boris as leader would drag back people to the Tories (though even that's debateable), but why would Boris simply standing as an MP draw people in?
    There was a bit of a Boris Halo effect on some of the polls when he was running/elected as London Mayor in 2008 and 2012.
    Isn't that more because the story was of Tory success, so people were almost jumping on the bandwagon?

I just don't really understand why someone who wasn't going to vote Tory last week would decide to this week just because Boris was standing (unless you were actually in the constituency he was standing in, obviously). I mean it's not like people didn't already know that Boris was a Tory.

Greetings :)
  • Options

Danny565 said:

Huzzah for Nick Clegg and the Sun,

Chris Ship ‏@chrisshipitv 1m

The Sun agrees with Nick> RT @Sun_Politics: EXCL: Don't Nick drug users: DPM wants to end imprisonment of some users: http://bit.ly/1u2SXaq

Who knew the Sun were bleeding-heart liberals.

EDIT: Oh wait, maybe I missed the joke.
    Well I'm definitely voting for Clegg next year.
    Splitter!
  • Options

There's bits of it at the Royal Armouries museum at Fort Nelson, or at least there was when I last visited, plus odd bits of Iraqi ordnance showing that our artillerymen still like to capture war trophies.

In an alternate universe, I'm a British Artilleryman.
    RobD said:

RobD said:

Danny565 said:

Danny565 said:

Consider yourself reminded :')
  • Options
    RobD said:

Pulpstar said:

AndyJS said:

Decapitation strategy (poor choice of words, but it is what it is)... repeat until no one wants to be Caliph anymore.
    Too flash and requires too much intelligence that will be very hard to obtain.

Do you remember the photos of that Iraqi convoy as it tried to leave Kuwait? Well just make every ISIS convoy look like that. Some eegit goes out in a Toyota with an HMG on the back, he gets to say hello to Mr Hellfire, if they go out in a gang then its happy time for the air force who can play with their big boys toys. Save the smart stuff for ISIS C&C buildings and flatten them when occupied.

The ISIS genocide will not be stopped by a police action but by war and, as some very clever chap said, in war half measures are imbecilic (or words to that effect). Dan Hodges had it right earlier today when he said that the West has all this wonderful surveillance stuff and all this wonder long range power projection kit, well now is the time to use it.
  • Options

RobD said:

RobD said:

Danny565 said:

Danny565 said:

Thanks, I'm worried about Sunil, he's slipped from the path recently, I mean he voted UKIP at the Euros.
    I think it might because he is spending so much time in the Midlands. His mum's influence wearing off a bit perhaps.
    I'm worried the next time I see him, he's going to have a Brummie accent.

God knows what'll happen when I ask him for a cup of tea.
    The Coventry accent is different from Brummie!
  • Options

RobD said:

RobD said:

Danny565 said:

Danny565 said:

Also he has barely posted anything about trains for months, a couple of photos of a Cross Rail station and that is about it. Worrying.
    The new Pudding Mill Lane station, opened a couple of months ago.
    http://commons.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?search=Sunil060902+Pudding+Mill+Lane+2014&title=Special:Search&go=Go&uselang=en-gb
  • Options
    RobD said:

There's bits of it at the Royal Armouries museum at Fort Nelson, or at least there was when I last visited, plus odd bits of Iraqi ordnance showing that our artillerymen still like to capture war trophies.

RobD said:

RobD said:

Danny565 said:

Danny565 said:

And I will remind you all, the Tories will do much better at Westminster elections if Scotland goes its own way :)
  • Options

RobD said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

Danny565 said:

Danny565 said:

And I will remind you all, the Tories will do much better at Westminster elections if Scotland goes its own way :)
    We really must get your Tebbit chip replaced!
  • Options
    Tim_BTim_B Posts: 7,669
    RobD said:
    and to think they continue to be called the do-nothing congress :-)
  • Options
    Sunil Labour presently has a lead in the north, the Midlands, Wales and London. Only the South has the Tories ahead. In fact Scotland is the only UK region where the Tories are frequently polling higher than they got in 2010
  • Options
    RobD said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

Danny565 said:

Danny565 said:

We really must get your Tebbit chip replaced!
    -I hate the Tories! They are revolting!
    -More?
    -Please!
  • Options
    JohnLoonyJohnLoony Posts: 1,790
    It should be re-named Treacle Pudding station.

• Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,618
    edited August 2014
    HYUFD said:

Sunil Labour presently has a lead in the north, the Midlands, Wales and London. Only the South has the Tories ahead. In fact Scotland is the only UK region where the Tories are frequently polling higher than they got in 2010

If Scotland had been independent in 2010, Cameron would have won an overall majority of 19.
  • Options
    Sunil Labour's advantage was much higher in 2010 in Scotland because it was Brown's home turf, the Labour vote has actually FALLEN in Scotland since 2010 according to most polls
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Sunil Labour's advantage was much higher in 2010 in Scotland because it was Brown's home turf, the Labour vote has actually FALLEN in Scotland since 2010 according to most polls

HYUFD So how many Tory seats do you think there'll be in Scotland next year?
  • Options
    MrJonesMrJones Posts: 3,523
    SeanT said:

Is Yokel around? Can he explain why Obama isn't droning the f*ck out of Isis?

I confess myself mystified. Obama is happy to zap anyone in Waziristan or Yemen, and he could presumably vapourise these evil genocidal bastards. Yet nothing.

This morning 50,000 people fled their city of Qaraqosh, in the dark, as Isis approached.

50,000 people. Fleeing in the night. Scared of being crucified, raped, or beheaded.

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/aug/07/isis-offensive-iraq-christian-exodus

1) Neocons dominate the state department and as Isis are aligned with US interests they're more interested in trying to start WW3 in Ukraine

2) Obama wants to avoid starting Iraq 3.0 by getting boots on the ground

Embedding spotters among the Kurds seems a likely compromise.

• Options
    edited August 2014
    Sunil At least 3, maybe even 4, the Tories are almost certain to win rural seats like Aberdeenshire West and Kincardine and Argyll and Bute from the LDs and maybe Angus from the SNP, night!
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Sunil At least 3, maybe even 4, the Tories are almost certain to win rural seats like Aberdeenshire West and Kincardine and Argyll and Bute from the LDs and maybe Angus from the SNP, night!

So if Scotland votes YES, the Tories will lose a maximum of four seats, if you're right. How many will Labour lose?
  • Options

HYUFD said:

So if Scotland votes YES, the Tories will lose a maximum of four seats, if you're right. How many will Labour lose?
    So we should cede all non-Tory constituencies to ensure perpetual Tory government?
  • Options
    RobD said:

HYUFD said:

So we should cede all non-Tory constituencies to ensure perpetual Tory government?
    You're putting ideas into my head ;)

But it's the Scots who are voting on 18th September!
  • Options

RobD said:

HYUFD said:

Because if you had agreed, I'd have suggested your Tebbit chip was working perfectly, a little too we'll in fact. :')
  • Options
    RobD said:

RobD said:

HYUFD said:

Because if you had agreed, I'd have suggested your Tebbit chip was working perfectly, a little too we'll in fact. :')
    "Humour! I love it!"
  • Options
    according to Huff Post Obama has authorized targeted airstrikes in Iraq
  • Options
    If you watch or read the US govt. press briefings and read between the lines it's clear they see what Isis is doing as leverage to get rid of Maliki (which is what they want).

example

state dept, starts about 10-11 mins in.

http://video.state.gov/en/video/3719834951001

She starts talking about political changes (i.e. Maliki) from c. 14 mins in and mentions it again about a dozen times. It's a shame the camera wasn't on her face when she was asked the question about "leverage."

whitehouse briefing

http://www.sacbee.com/2014/08/07/6611895/islamic-state-pushes-back-kurdish.html

"At the White House, spokesman Josh Earnest stuck closely to the administration’s months-old position that Iraq’s problems must be solved politically.

“There are no military solutions to the problems of Iraq,” he told reporters. He said the United States would move to protect American personnel but that American military action “would have to be closely tied to Iraqi political reforms.

("political reforms" means getting rid of Maliki again)

• Options
    Then again It may no longer matter what the US do

http://hotair.com/archives/2014/08/07/kurdish-tv-u-s-bombs-isis-targets-in-iraq/

Kurdish TV say US air strikes on Isis positions already started.
    Pentagon says not them.
    Iraq air force say it was them.

Be funny if it was actually Iran playing 7th cavalry.

• Options
    It all has a sense of "Judean People's Front" ludicrousness about it. Unfortunately people are being killed.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,228
    HYUFD said:

It's highly likely that the LibDems will lose both Berwick and Berwickshire seats to the Conservatives: that could take them to six in 2015.
  • Options
    On a lighter note I'm told by a fan that the first pre-season NFL game was on this evening and featured the 49ers at the Ravens, in a battle of John and Jim Harbaugh, brothers and coaches of the teams.

Currently the Cowboys Chargers game is on.

Of course, I'm not a fan.

At the PGA, not loking good for Tiger.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

It's highly likely that the LibDems will lose both Berwick and Berwickshire seats to the Conservatives: that could take them to six in 2015.
    Of course: many any predictions about Scotland in 2015 is risky. Will the people of Scotland turn to the SNP, as the best protectors of their interests, post a No? Or will Salmond, humiliated, resign, triggering a period of infighting and retreat?

My money would be on the former scenario: but, it's not a strong conviction.
  • Options
    My albeit limited understanding is that the SNP's ultimate aim and reason for being was an independent Scotland.

If the voters reject this premise narrowly, are you in for another vote, EU referendum style?

If the premise is rejected by a large margin - say 60-40 or better - does that not make the SNP a busted flush, out of tune with the voters? In which case, whither the SNP?
  • Options
    Tim_B said:

My albeit limited understanding is that the SNP's ultimate aim and reason for being was an independent Scotland.

If the voters reject this premise narrowly, are you in for another vote, EU referendum style?

If the premise is rejected by a large margin - say 60-40 or better - does that not make the SNP a busted flush, out of tune with the voters? In which case, whither the SNP?

Which is exactly why forecasting 2015 Scotland is so hard :-)
  • Options
    MikeSmithsonMikeSmithson Posts: 7,382
    New thread on Boris - the man that pollsters overstate.
  • Options
    Sunil Will win 4-6 seats
This discussion has been closed.