Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Local By-Election Preview: August 7th 2014

SystemSystem Posts: 11,687
edited August 2014 in General

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Local By-Election Preview: August 7th 2014

Broadley Common, Epping Upland and Nazing on Epping Forest (Con Defence)
Result of last election to council (2014): Conservatives 37, Residents 12, Liberal Democrats 3, Independents 2, United Kingdom Independence Party 2, Green 1, Labour 1 (Conservative majority of 16)
Result of ward at last election (2011):

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    GeoffMGeoffM Posts: 6,071
    First!
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,308
    Too late for the previous thread but there is going to be hell to pay if Salmond wins the referendum and Scotland is then told that there will be no currency union.

The demands for a second referendum would be immense and the UK government would still be in a position to insist on it. Just another example of the holes that Salmond is digging for himself. I wonder which way he will be voting?

The Yes campaign make Gulf War II look like a masterpiece of forward planning.

• Options
    MonksfieldMonksfield Posts: 2,203
    edited August 2014
    Ref comments on Epping Forest and Huntingdonshire above. Funny how the residents in some of these places might vote for Tories at national level but don't trust them to run the local council ;)
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,028
    OKC Previous thread, Both sides are doing it, Brian Cox, Frankie Boyle and the Proclaimers and Sean Connery etc are all pushing Yes. There is a difference anyway between Guardian readers writing patronising letters to Ohio rednecks on why Bush was so awful, and a positive message about why the rest of the UK wants Scotland to stay in the union and how they value its contribution!
  • Options
    JBriskinJBriskin Posts: 2,380
    Err, this article isn't signed???
  • Options
    MikeKMikeK Posts: 9,053
    Come on UKIP, show your mettle tonight. I recon an average of 25% of the vote spread through all the wards.
  • Options
    UK tory journos willing to take on the Obama/Drones issue now eh?? Bloody hell - only a Thursday - you should warn us about these things.

• Options
    SeanT said:

Is Yokel around? Can he explain why Obama isn't droning the f*ck out of Isis?

I confess myself mystified. Obama is happy to zap anyone in Waziristan or Yemen, and he could presumably vapourise these evil genocidal bastards. Yet nothing.

This morning 50,000 people fled their city of Qaraqosh, in the dark, as Isis approached.

50,000 people. Fleeing in the night. Scared of being crucified, raped, or beheaded.

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/aug/07/isis-offensive-iraq-christian-exodus

You are talking about a country that was happy to kill people walking in Afghanistan because they were tall. The truth is America's respect for human life or the rule of law outwith its boundaries has been pretty much on a par with ISIS.

So why indeed are they not bombing the **** out of them? Since Pol Pot and his friends hung up their cattle prods, arguably the most evil and despicable people on the planet (and it is not like there is not a lot of competition).

Congratulations on your piece. It made very important points. This is Srebrenica all over again.
  • Options
    Tim_BTim_B Posts: 7,669
    The US Amateur Golf Tournament starts on Saturday, It's a curious beast - a 9 day golf tournament, part stroke play, part match play, played over both courses at the Atlanta Athletic Club.

The greens and tees are roped but the fairways are not, It'll be interesting how it goes.
  • Options
    SeanT Actually Obama has provided airdrops of supplies to the Yazidis and is said to be considering air strikes on ISIS if absolutely necessary http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/aug/07/us-aid-iraqi-trapped-mountain-isis
  • Options
    ICYMI Sean-

Retweeted by Kay Burley

Sky News Newsdesk ‏@SkyNewsBreak · 17m
    U.S. military official says President #Obama considering airstrikes in #Iraq to help deliver aid to thousands of refugees fleeing #ISIS

• Options
    SeanT We all know Obama is the 'ditherer in chief' and is far more interested in creating a legacy in the history books for ending wars than starting them and so is reluctant to commit even when required. The Kurds are tough but if ISIS push into Kurdish heartlands I would expect US strikes, the same if they got close to Baghdad (probably joined by Iran).
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    SeanT said:

DavidL said:

SeanT said:

I confess myself mystified. Obama is happy to zap anyone in Waziristan or Yemen, and he could presumably vapourise these evil genocidal bastards. Yet nothing.

This morning 50,000 people fled their city of Qaraqosh, in the dark, as Isis approached.

50,000 people. Fleeing in the night. Scared of being crucified, raped, or beheaded.

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/aug/07/isis-offensive-iraq-christian-exodus

You are talking about a country that was happy to kill people walking in Afghanistan because they were tall. The truth is America's respect for human life or the rule of law outwith its boundaries has been pretty much on a par with ISIS.

So why indeed are they not bombing the **** out of them? Since Pol Pot and his friends hung up their cattle prods, arguably the most evil and despicable people on the planet (and it is not like there is not a lot of competition).

Congratulations on your piece. It made very important points. This is Srebrenica all over again.
    The parallels with the (militantly atheistic) Khmer Rouge are extremely eerie. I intend to blog about them next week.
    Thats my line!

At breakfast I commented on the Cambodian tribunal verdicts, and described ISIS as Khymer Rouge with prayer mats, wanting their own year zero.

• Options
    MarkSeniorMarkSenior Posts: 4,699
    edited August 2014
    Slight error by Harry on the Huntingdon seat . The CC election in 2013 for the same division same boundaries was won by UKIP . Their candidate in this by election is their CC .
    The seat was also fought in May this year and won by the Conservatives
    Con 864 UKIP 576 Lab 172 LD 138
  • Options
    SeanT said:

SeanT said:

DavidL said:

SeanT said:

The parallels with the (militantly atheistic) Khmer Rouge are extremely eerie. I intend to blog about them next week.
    Thats my line!

At breakfast I commented on the Cambodian tribunal verdicts, and described ISIS as Khymer Rouge with prayer mats, wanting their own year zero.

Er, I made the comparison several weeks ago, on pb. The KR and Isis exploit the same flaw of the human brain that makes us susceptible to evil fanaticism.

I doubt either of us are the first to note the eerie echoes.
    I have to say that I drew the parallel as well without any knowledge of either of your contributions. It is indeed an obvious comparison given the complete lack of humanity, empathy and reason shown by both. It is like a form of autism. Truly weird and profoundly sick.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

SeanT said:

DavidL said:

SeanT said:

Thats my line!

Er, I made the comparison several weeks ago, on pb. The KR and Isis exploit the same flaw of the human brain that makes us susceptible to evil fanaticism.

It is year zero.

But the difference between ISIS and other Islamist groups like Hamas is one of ability and equipment, the intent is the same.

Read Hamas charter and weep:

http://archive.adl.org/main_israel/hamas_charter.html#.U-PkaslwaBY

I have sympathy for the Palestinians, but none for their chosen leaders.
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,214
    SeanT said:

JBriskin said:

ICYMI Sean-

Retweeted by Kay Burley

U.S. military official says President #Obama considering airstrikes in #Iraq to help deliver aid to thousands of refugees fleeing #ISIS

Let's hope it's right. I've seen other reports saying Obama is resisting Pentagon/Clintonite attempts to bully him into taking on Isis, I've seen other reports saying the US has not droned or bombed Isis as the Saudis have requested this, in alliance against Iran.

It's a total Mongolian clusterf*ck, as we used to say in the 90s, and at the centre of it is a great big fat disappointing mediocrity, Barack Obama.
    "I've seen other reports saying the US has not droned or bombed Isis as the Saudis have requested this,"

A Saudi lobby telling the Americans what to do? Surely not, I thought only Israel did this.

ISIS have the same Wahabist version of Islam that the Saudis promulgate, via their wealth. Saudi Arabia should be told to get stuffed. We should save the Yazidis and the Christians and the Kurds and all those who don't want to live under a genocidal regime.

• Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,214

SeanT said:

SeanT said:

DavidL said:

SeanT said:

Thats my line!

It is year zero.

But the difference between ISIS and other Islamist groups like Hamas is one of ability and equipment, the intent is the same.

Agree with your last sentence. Trouble is the Palestinians voted for Hamas. Why is it that they do not develop leaders of distinction?

BTW I referred to the Hamas charter a few days ago in response to a NP comment.

• Options
    Edin_RokzEdin_Rokz Posts: 516
    HYUFD said:

SeanT We all know Obama is the 'ditherer in chief' and is far more interested in creating a legacy in the history books for ending wars than starting them and so is reluctant to commit even when required. The Kurds are tough but if ISIS push into Kurdish heartlands I would expect US strikes, the same if they got close to Baghdad (probably joined by Iran).

Er, No! Obama actually thinks before he acts. Just consider what happens when you allow a Bush to be President. Kuwait, and 2, repeat TWO Iraq wars and what has happened since?
  • Options
    JohnLilburneJohnLilburne Posts: 6,012
    SeanT said:

Problem is that any air strikes will be too late (they already are: the time to bomb people is before they expect them), too little and not savage enough. We need the Kurds to push the Caliphate into concentrating their forces and then drop a few fuel-air bombs on them. As starters. If we go to war against them, our military objective should be to seek their utter destruction. Instead we will ponce around, give them warnings, lob a few drones at them, and in the end just piss them off and make another enemy of them who will seek to blow up tube trains.

• Options
    Is this Harry then?? If it's not signed because of any criticism from me he should be well aware that no-one takes me very seriously.

For whatever reason I happened to read a bit more than usual - the more Importance of Being Ernst references the better I say

FTR - Aberdeen fans appear to be car beeping a 5-2 aggregate loss - Is this a normal kind of behaviour in the rest of the UK???
  • Options
    To reinforce SeanT's point, images of a beheaded girl, executed for being Christian amongst others, warning, very graphic! http://www.catholic.org/news/international/middle_east/story.php?id=56339

ISIS almost make the Nazis look humane
  • Options
    @Sun_Politics: YouGov/Sun poll tonight - Labour lead back up two to five points: CON 33%, LAB 38%, LD 7%, UKIP 12%
  • Options

@Sun_Politics: YouGov/Sun poll tonight - Labour lead back up two to five points: CON 33%, LAB 38%, LD 7%, UKIP 12%

Have I missed this month's ICM?
  • Options
    HurstLlamaHurstLlama Posts: 9,098
    Edin_Rokz said:

HYUFD said:

Er, No! Obama actually thinks before he acts. Just consider what happens when you allow a Bush to be President. Kuwait, and 2, repeat TWO Iraq wars and what has happened since?
    The Iraqi invasion of Kuwait was President Bush's fault? Care to explain that one?
  • Options
    And there is something rather interesting happening now - anyone thought about how many so called un-natural disasters have happened recently within the past few months? Planes crashing? Wars happening? etc.?

I've been around a few years and I can't remember such a series like this.

Wot Next? Flying Saucers from Mars.
  • Options
    BBC news main headline, White House Spokesman says US considering limited, focused air strikes and UN Security Council in emergency session
  • Options
    Edin_Rokz said:

And there is something rather interesting happening now - anyone thought about how many so called un-natural disasters have happened recently within the past few months? Planes crashing? Wars happening? etc.?

It's just-

24 hours news cycle + Internet

Keep Calm and Carry On

• Options

No, it should be out Mon/Tues next week
  • Options

Probably too early for any Boris impact, so UKPR likely to remain unchanged for all three major parties.
    RN is probably right - polls should now be ignored until after the holiday period.
  • Options
    Sorry, I'm drunk enough to do better than that - give me a sec.
  • Options
  • Options
    SeanT said:

SeanT said:

SeanT said:

DavidL said:

SeanT said:

Thats my line!

It is year zero.

I think Hamas are repulsive, but they are not remotely as crazy as Isis. Even al Qaeda have rejected Isis as being too extreme.

The Gaza Strip under Hamas is not Afghanistan under the Taliban.

To pursue our communist analogy, I'd say Hamas are like East German communism, Iran is equivalent to Maoism, the Taliban equals North Korean communism.

And, yes, Isis are Year Zero. Total nihilism.
    Read that article 7 of the Hamas Charter.

It doesn't say kill the IDF, or kill the settlers, or kill the zionists or even kill the Israelis. It says kill the Jews wherever you find them. It is a charter for genocide. At least Hitler used euphemisms such as final solution or special treatment. Hamas are not so mealy mouthed.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

Is there any evidence that if the people of the book surrender peacefully to the Islamic State, accept dhimmi status, and pay the jizya, they will be badly treated? It is perfectly understandable why the Christians are fleeing in what used to be Iraq, but there is no evidence that the Caliph Ibrahim intends a genocide against Christians, as opposed to the rafidah and other apostates and heretics...
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

BBC news main headline, White House Spokesman says US considering limited, focused air strikes and UN Security Council in emergency session

Why tell the enemy what you are about to do? Just do it. Let the world work out what you've done afterwards.

• Options

There should be one coming shortly, the last was 11-13 July.

• Options
    Edin_Rokz said:

It all started in Ukraine. There was mass demonstrations. Anyone remember what they were demonstrating for?? Bonus points if you do. Anyway - it's now a civil war there.

Basically - that's all and only what's happened - there's always crazy stuff going on in the middle east - never anything of note.

Although the missing plane was a really good one (and apparently still not solved!)

2014 - great year for the unemployed with a Tv.

• Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,873
    Tonights YG EICIPM

less than 9 months to go
  • Options

SeanT said:

Is there any evidence that if the people of the book surrender peacefully to the Islamic State, accept dhimmi status, and pay the jizya, they will be badly treated?
    Well yes, IS is offering them "the sword" and already seems to be cutting heads off.

• Options
    JohnLilburne Normally there is advanced warning before strikes, I would expect the US will also need to co-ordinate action with the Kurds on the ground too
  • Options

Edin_Rokz said:

HYUFD said:

The Iraqi invasion of Kuwait was President Bush's fault? Care to explain that one?
    Yep! Saddam Hussein thought that the US Ambassador had given him a wink to proceed. And there is more than likely the chance that someone at Foggy Bottom wouldn't have realised the importance of the remark.

OK, So Saddam was off his trolley, as anyone who had read the Amnesty International reports at that time would agree on.

But Saddam wouldn't have done anything that the US/UK wouldn't have liked. Nuts he was, but not totally.

He had a couple of sons who made up for that.

And we did supply, the UK, arms and weapons systems to Iraq that were superior to the arms that our soldiers had at the time of the first Iraq war.
  • Options
    Unfortunate juxtaposition of one headline and a photograph on the front of the telegraph

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BudtKRwCMAAGqqB.jpg
  • Options
    EdinRokz Bush Snr actually successfully ousted Saddam from Kuwait with a full international coalition behind him, though agree his son was too trigger happy. Problem is Obama has gone the other way, and so far has done nothing about Iraq or Syria. Hillary offers hope for a middle way in 2016
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 41,995
    DavidL said:

Too late for the previous thread but there is going to be hell to pay if Salmond wins the referendum and Scotland is then told that there will be no currency union.

The demands for a second referendum would be immense and the UK government would still be in a position to insist on it. Just another example of the holes that Salmond is digging for himself. I wonder which way he will be voting?

The Yes campaign make Gulf War II look like a masterpiece of forward planning.

David, I am now convinced you are really stupid.
  • Options

Well yes, IS is offering them "the sword" and already seems to be cutting heads off.

Only for those Christians who do not submit to the Caliphate in the manner previously described.
  • Options
    Edin_Rokz said:

Edin_Rokz said:

HYUFD said:

Yep! Saddam Hussein thought that the US Ambassador had given him a wink to proceed. And there is more than likely the chance that someone at Foggy Bottom wouldn't have realised the importance of the remark.

OK, So Saddam was off his trolley, as anyone who had read the Amnesty International reports at that time would agree on.

But Saddam wouldn't have done anything that the US/UK wouldn't have liked. Nuts he was, but not totally.

And we did supply, the UK, arms and weapons systems to Iraq that were superior to the arms that our soldiers had at the time of the first Iraq war.
    I wish I hadn't asked now. Your last paragraph is total bollocks, what weapons? The rest of the stuff of fantasy novels.
  • Options
    FalseFlagFalseFlag Posts: 1,801

SeanT said:

SeanT said:

SeanT said:

DavidL said:

SeanT said:

Thats my line!

It is year zero.

I think Hamas are repulsive, but they are not remotely as crazy as Isis. Even al Qaeda have rejected Isis as being too extreme.

The Gaza Strip under Hamas is not Afghanistan under the Taliban.

To pursue our communist analogy, I'd say Hamas are like East German communism, Iran is equivalent to Maoism, the Taliban equals North Korean communism.

And, yes, Isis are Year Zero. Total nihilism.
    Read that article 7 of the Hamas Charter.

It doesn't say kill the IDF, or kill the settlers, or kill the zionists or even kill the Israelis. It says kill the Jews wherever you find them. It is a charter for genocide. At least Hitler used euphemisms such as final solution or special treatment. Hamas are not so mealy mouthed.
    The only people committing genocide are the Israelis though not Hamas. Of course Hamas was setup by Israel to divide the Palestinians and weaken Fatah.
  • Options
    LIMT I suggest you look at my link below of a beheaded little girl, decapitated purely for being Christian!
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

JohnLilburne Normally there is advanced warning before strikes, I would expect the US will also need to co-ordinate action with the Kurds on the ground too

I expect they will need to talk to the Kurds too. Secretly. But why advanced warning of air strikes? Surely you want your enemy to be underneath them, unconcerned.

• Options

Edin_Rokz said:

Edin_Rokz said:

HYUFD said:

I wish I hadn't asked now. Your last paragraph is total bollocks, what weapons? The rest of the stuff of fantasy novels.
    Does that mean our Challenger I tanks were inferior to the Iraqi T72s?
  • Options
    Edin_Rokz said:

Here's another jolly story for you that may be the next to kick off:

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/aug/07/azerbaijan-president-threatens-war-armenia-twitter
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,798
    JBriskin said:

Edin_Rokz said:

It all started in Ukraine. There was mass demonstrations. Anyone remember what they were demonstrating for?? Bonus points if you do. Anyway - it's now a civil war there.

Seems pretty remarkable really, as protesting about the government backing out of the signing of an association agreement sounds on the face of it to be among the most boring reasons for protest ever, but when the situation is just right, lots of players are involved and it is easy to run into stark and deep divisive choices, anything can happen I guess.
  • Options
    FalseFlagFalseFlag Posts: 1,801
    Cyclefree said:

SeanT said:

JBriskin said:

ICYMI Sean-

Retweeted by Kay Burley

Let's hope it's right. I've seen other reports saying Obama is resisting Pentagon/Clintonite attempts to bully him into taking on Isis, I've seen other reports saying the US has not droned or bombed Isis as the Saudis have requested this, in alliance against Iran.

It's a total Mongolian clusterf*ck, as we used to say in the 90s, and at the centre of it is a great big fat disappointing mediocrity, Barack Obama.
    "I've seen other reports saying the US has not droned or bombed Isis as the Saudis have requested this,"

A Saudi lobby telling the Americans what to do? Surely not, I thought only Israel did this.

ISIS have the same Wahabist version of Islam that the Saudis promulgate, via their wealth. Saudi Arabia should be told to get stuffed. We should save the Yazidis and the Christians and the Kurds and all those who don't want to live under a genocidal regime.

We should save the Palestinian Christians and Muslims living under the genocidal Israeli regime in their Gaza Gulag too by that logic. Worse than the Nazis.
  • Options
    Edin_Rokz said:

That would explain why Alex Salmond was so exercised by Aliens the other night.
  • Options
    JohnLilburne Well I expect the actual attack will come unannounced, at the moment they have simply said they are exploring the possibility
  • Options

Edin_Rokz said:

Edin_Rokz said:

HYUFD said:

Of course they were Mr Eagles, that's why we lost so many tanks! There is still the question though as to what weapon systems the UK sold to the Iraqis that were better than those with which we equipped out own troops. That was the claim.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

LIMT I suggest you look at my link below of a beheaded little girl, decapitated purely for being Christian!

I quote from the link:
    A week ago, Christians were warned to either leave the city of Mosul and other areas under Islamic State control, or they would have to pay a tax or be put to death.
    There is no evidence that those who submit peacefully to the Caliphate, accept dhimmi status, and pay the jizya are being put to the sword.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,481
    edited August 2014

Edin_Rokz said:

Edin_Rokz said:

HYUFD said:

Of course they were Mr Eagles, that's why we lost so many tanks! There is still the question though as to what weapon systems the UK sold to the Iraqis that were better than those with which we equipped out own troops. That was the claim.
    Well, there was that SuperGun we sold to Iraq, which was better than our MLRS trucks,

As an aside, the supergun story dominated my life for a while as a schoolboy.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

JohnLilburne Well I expect the actual attack will come unannounced, at the moment they have simply said they are exploring the possibility

They have said too much then, IS will be dispersing already and finding defensive positions.

• Options

HYUFD said:

I quote from the link:
    A week ago, Christians were warned to either leave the city of Mosul and other areas under Islamic State control, or they would have to pay a tax or be put to death.
    There is no evidence that those who submit peacefully to the Caliphate, accept dhimmi status, and pay the jizya are being put to the sword.

Difficult to provide an affidavit if you are dead.
  • Options
    Danny565Danny565 Posts: 8,091

Probably too early for any Boris impact, so UKPR likely to remain unchanged for all three major parties.
    RN is probably right - polls should now be ignored until after the holiday period.
    Eh? Why would there be any Boris impact?

I mean, I can see the argument that Boris as leader would drag back people to the Tories (though even that's debateable), but why would Boris simply standing as an MP draw people in?
  • Options
    kle4 said:

JBriskin said:

Edin_Rokz said:

Seems pretty remarkable really, as protesting about the government backing out of the signing of an association agreement sounds on the face of it to be among the most boring reasons for protest ever, but when the situation is just right, lots of players are involved and it is easy to run into stark and deep divisive choices, anything can happen I guess.
    Yes - thanks for picking up on this - I hope other PBers are paying attention - Surely nothing wrong with reminding those of political persuasion what actually started off the Ukraine civil war.

• Options
    Danny565 said:

I mean, I can see the argument that Boris as leader would drag back people to the Tories (though even that's debateable), but why would Boris simply standing as an MP draw people in?
    There was a bit of a Boris Halo effect on some of the polls when he was running/elected as London Mayor in 2008 and 2012.
  • Options
    LIAMT Oh OK then, this is now a GOOD BEHEADING, as Chris Morris may have said, a girl who was probably not even ten and did not understand what was happening was decapitated and it is her fault for refusing to be clear on her devotion to Islam!!!
  • Options

Edin_Rokz said:

Edin_Rokz said:

HYUFD said:

Well, there was that SuperGun we sold to Iraq, which was better than our MLRS trucks,

But there was no actual super-gun was there? Outside Freddie Forsyth's imagination that is, and it wasn't a weapon system sold by the UK. It was some chunks of metal that combined with other chunks of metal from other countries may, possibly, have made a weapon that, absent a nuclear shell, would have feck all use.

I am still waiting for Mr. Rohkz to justify his original claim. I can't imagine why its taking him so long, surely he must have had weapons and systems in mind when he posted it.
  • Options

Edin_Rokz said:

Edin_Rokz said:

HYUFD said:

There's bits of it at the Royal Armouries museum at Fort Nelson, or at least there was when I last visited, plus odd bits of Iraqi ordnance showing that our artillerymen still like to capture war trophies.

• Options
    JohnLilburne ISIS do not know where the strike will be or at what time, and I expect strikes will only take place once Kurds have given a clear indication of ISIS positions, though agree would be best to keep details quiet from now on
  • Options
    SeanT said:

Edin_Rokz said:

Here's another jolly story for you that may be the next to kick off:

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/aug/07/azerbaijan-president-threatens-war-armenia-twitter
    I think everyone should go to war with everyone else. For a start, England should invade the Faroes, massacring their pilot whale fisherman. But we can do better than that.

Personally I'm going to blockade the neighbours, and then secretly tunnel into their fridge and torment their pet hamsters, for no reason at all, thus establishing the new state of The Posh End of Delancey Street.

Are you pissed Sean??

We're literally on the Pimms!!!!

Let the Unemployed and Tory Journos unite!!!!!

• Options
    edited August 2014

But there was no actual super-gun was there? Outside Freddie Forsyth's imagination that is, and it wasn't a weapon system sold by the UK. It was some chunks of metal that combined with other chunks of metal from other countries may, possibly, have made a weapon that, absent a nuclear shell, would have feck all use.

I am still waiting for Mr. Rohkz to justify his original claim. I can't imagine why its taking him so long, surely he must have had weapons and systems in mind when he posted it.

They said it was a petrol extraction machine.

My friend's father worked for Sheffield Forgemasters, when the Matrix-Churchill trial collapsed, we were convinced his father was working for MI6, for a while, everyone thought my friend's Dad was like James Bond.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

I quote from the link:
    I suppose #Life_ina_market_town you would be more than willing to accept dhimmi status in an Islamic theocratic state. You really are a poor specimen in even suggesting it, unless that is you are a fanatical muslim yourself.
  • Options

There's bits of it at the Royal Armouries museum at Fort Nelson, or at least there was when I last visited, plus odd bits of Iraqi ordnance showing that our artillerymen still like to capture war trophies.

In an alternate universe, I'm a British Artilleryman.
  • Options
    edited August 2014

My friend's father worked for Sheffield Forgemasters, when the Matrix-Churchill trial collapsed, we were convinced his father was working for MI6, for a while, everyone thought my friend's Dad was like James Bond.
    I always thought that most gun parts were made in South Africa or Rhodesia.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

LIAMT Oh OK then, this is now a GOOD BEHEADING, as Chris Morris may have said, a girl who was probably not even ten and did not understand what was happening was decapitated and it is her fault for refusing to be clear on her devotion to Islam!!!

I am not trying to justify anything that the Islamic State does. I despise it, and all other messianic totalitarianisms of its kind. I am simply pointing out that its actions thus far have been entirely in accordance with the principles it espouses, which were put into effect in nearly all medieval Islamic states.
  • Options
    Huzzah for Nick Clegg and the Sun,

Chris Ship ‏@chrisshipitv 1m

The Sun agrees with Nick> RT @Sun_Politics: EXCL: Don't Nick drug users: DPM wants to end imprisonment of some users: http://bit.ly/1u2SXaq
  • Options
    Life_ina_market_townLife_ina_market_town Posts: 2,319
    edited August 2014
    MikeK said:

I suppose #Life_ina_market_town you would be more than willing to accept dhimmi status in an Islamic theocratic state. You really are a poor specimen in even suggesting it, unless that is you are a fanatical muslim yourself.

I said at the outset that it was perfectly understandable why Christians are fleeing. I would in their position. That does not mean that we should ignore the position of those who did not flee, and the regime under which they will be forced to live. As for my own religious convictions, I am an atheist.
  • Options

Danny565 said:

There was a bit of a Boris Halo effect on some of the polls when he was running/elected as London Mayor in 2008 and 2012.
    Isn't that more because the story was of Tory success, so people were almost jumping on the bandwagon?

I just don't really understand why someone who wasn't going to vote Tory last week would decide to this week just because Boris was standing (unless you were actually in the constituency he was standing in, obviously). I mean it's not like people didn't already know that Boris was a Tory.
  • Options

That whole Matrix-Churchill thing was a fiasco and a nonsense. Some years before the Iraqis tried to set up a deal with a British company that was for sure actually about building them plants for making poison gas, but artfully disguised as an agri-chemical industry . One of the employees had a word with someone he knew in Whitehall and word was passed down to the company's chairman that such a contract would not be in the national interest. The Iraqis were shown the door. No fuss, no trial, no clumping feet of VAT inspectors.

Mind you, the Germans built them the chemical plants and made a fortune in the process.
  • Options
    edited August 2014

The Sun agrees with Nick> RT @Sun_Politics: EXCL: Don't Nick drug users: DPM wants to end imprisonment of some users: http://bit.ly/1u2SXaq

Who knew the Sun were bleeding-heart liberals.

EDIT: Oh wait, maybe I missed the joke.
  • Options
    LIAMT Even Saladin had some principles of humanity, ISIS as far as I can see are just sadistic butchers twisting the Koran to justify their savagery
  • Options
    Danny565 said:

Danny565 said:

Isn't that more because the story was of Tory success, so people were almost jumping on the bandwagon?

I just don't really understand why someone who wasn't going to vote Tory last week would decide to this week just because Boris was standing (unless you were actually in the constituency he was standing in, obviously). I mean it's not like people didn't already know that Boris was a Tory.
    The logic is thus (I have my doubts)

People like Boris (he's the most popular politician in the country)

Boris is about the rejoin the parliamentary party

People will want to vote for the Tory party, 'cause Boris is back
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,969

Danny565 said:

Danny565 said:

The public is too clever to risk a Tory bounce prior to the IndyRef.... ;)
  • Options

That whole Matrix-Churchill thing was a fiasco and a nonsense. Some years before the Iraqis tried to set up a deal with a British company that was for sure actually about building them plants for making poison gas, but artfully disguised as an agri-chemical industry . One of the employees had a word with someone he knew in Whitehall and word was passed down to the company's chairman that such a contract would not be in the national interest. The Iraqis were shown the door. No fuss, no trial, no clumping feet of VAT inspectors.

Mind you, the Germans built them the chemical plants and made a fortune in the process.
    Alan Clark's finest hour though.
  • Options
    Gosh, some regulars have posted a lot of tripe this week. For example:

Gaza - never part of Jordan but was captured from the Egyptians. [Sceptics-and-kin are easily confused.]

St Helena "over-spec'ed" airport cannot take Voyager nor Globemaster-III (at least not fully tanked/loaded as it is designed for 737s) and I would not wish to be on a A400M Euro-Turkey when the former aircraft would have made the journey from Ascenscion (only 60-NM further via the great circle) more safely...!

The UK has 228 front-line MBTs. Four are dedicated for driver training: The rest are split between Type-56 Regiments (and you can now do the math)....

Israel is crass, but no more than Hamas. Hamas 'may' have been elected but they then executed approx 1000 Fatah officials.

Finally, as an observation:

Israel should not show ancient M109 howitzers bombing Gaza (as thick Al-Beeb journalists will call this 'tank-fire'). Instead - despite the 'La-la' protestations of Lib-Dhimmie-dom (and Warsi) the UK and US should speed-up integration of "Dual-Mode Brimstone". If drones were used to target rocket launchers using said missile then civilian casualties would be lessened. As Phil Woolas signed up to buying the Israeli/Raphael Hermes drone (a.k.a. Watchkeeper) such a deal would benefit most decent people and please Labour eejits....
  • Options
    Danny565 said:

Who knew the Sun were bleeding-heart liberals.

EDIT: Oh wait, maybe I missed the joke.
    Well I'm definitely voting for Clegg next year.
  • Options
    GrandioseGrandiose Posts: 2,323
    MikeK said:
    "Westminster Council’s report shows that the number of Romanian rough sleepers in Central London has risen from 20 in January to 59 last month."

Not even a swallow, let alone a summer.

"It means there has been a 25 per cent increase in the number of charges against Romanians this year."

Pouring, is it? Really?
  • Options
    RobD said:

Danny565 said:

Danny565 said:

Indeed, we're the Conservative and UNIONIST Party
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,969

RobD said:

Danny565 said:

Danny565 said:

I'll remind Sunil next time he's on!
  • Options
    The headline on the front page of The Sun appeals to my inner Finbar Saunders

Woman navy officer sunk by seaman. Heave-ho for Jolly Rodgerer

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Bud5hNuIQAAUGtO.jpg
  • Options

You can offer LJ-RH a safe home in tolerant England but you will never take the religious bile that all Ulster-Scots have for those who are not there own.... :(
  • Options
    "Hamas 'may' have been elected"

Indeed they were, in 2006 if I recall. Anyone know what the parliamentary term is in Gaza? At the back of my mind is the thought that there were supposed to have been some elections in 2012 but they got cancelled for some reason.
  • Options
    edited August 2014

Indeed they were, in 2006 if I recall. Anyone know what the parliamentary term is in Gaza? At the back of my mind is the thought that there were supposed to have been some elections in 2012 but they got cancelled for some reason.

The next Palestinian elections are later on this year.

I hope to do some threads on it.
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,288

Twas on the good ship Venus...

• Options
    RobD said:

RobD said:

Danny565 said:

Danny565 said:

Thanks, I'm worried about Sunil, he's slipped from the path recently, I mean he voted UKIP at the Euros.
  • Options

Not too sure on the betting opportunities, Mr Eagles. Odds on the parliamentary candidate for Khan Yunis East being found with his head? Tricky to set odds in that sort of market and a bit tacky betting in it. The opinion polls should be interesting, after some of the lads visit the local ICM office the result will surely be Hamas 99.9% for week after week.
  • Options
    MarkSeniorMarkSenior Posts: 4,699
    Conservatives have held Huntingdon Warboys no figures yet
  • Options
    dr_spyn said:

I'll shut up, one of my naval jokes got me dumped a few years ago.
  • Options

Not too sure on the betting opportunities, Mr Eagles. Odds on the parliamentary candidate for Khan Yunis East being found with his head? Tricky to set odds in that sort of market and a bit tacky betting in it. The opinion polls should be interesting, after some of the lads visit the local ICM office the result will surely be Hamas 99.9% for week after week.
    With Paddy Power, you never know what sort of markets they'll run.
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,288
    edited August 2014
    @ TheScreamingEagles Posts: 13,189
    11:13PM
    dr_spyn said:
    » show previous quotes

I'll shut up, one of my naval jokes got me dumped a few years ago.

She's got a lovely navel uniform?
  • Options
    edited August 2014

RobD said:

RobD said:

Danny565 said:

Danny565 said:

Thanks, I'm worried about Sunil, he's slipped from the path recently, I mean he voted UKIP at the Euros.
    I think it might because he is spending so much time in the Midlands. His mum's influence wearing off a bit perhaps.

Also he has barely posted anything about trains for months, a couple of photos of a Cross Rail station and that is about it. Worrying.
This discussion has been closed.