Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Survation poll in 13 key CON held marginals finds CON to LA

Comments

• Options
    JackW said:

Old Trafford toss delayed until at least 10:45am

Play unlikely before 11:15am

It is drizzling in Central Manchester, and moving towards Old Trafford.
  • Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787

JackW said:

You are Michael Fish and I claim five days of scorching sunshine ....

Manchester though ....

1 day of intermittent sun and showers it is then ....

• Options
    JackW said:

JackW said:

Manchester though ....

I suspect it's going to be a frustrating day.
  • Options
    They will rue the day

Peter MacMahon ‏@petermacmahon 19m

Labour take their No campaign Salmond coin to First Minister's official residence Bute House #indyref

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BubMOXuCIAEgajc.jpg
  • Options
    FrankBoothFrankBooth Posts: 9,070
    The thing is, it's rather like the drug companies and clinical trials. You get the result yo want, you publish it. You don't the the 'right' result, you don't publish. Unite should have advertised in advance that they were doing this, as Ashcroft does. Is it not also possible that Unite did other constituencies which were less favourable and so they haven't published?
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,380

They did poll Broxtowe

You're a tease! What were the figures?

• Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,710
    edited August 2014

The thing is, it's rather like the drug companies and clinical trials. You get the result yo want, you publish it. You don't the the 'right' result, you don't publish. Unite should have advertised in advance that they were doing this, as Ashcroft does. Is it not also possible that Unite did other constituencies which were less favourable and so they haven't published?

The BPC wouldn't allow survation to do such a thing.
  • Options

They did poll Broxtowe

You're a tease! What were the figures?

They've not released the individual seat breakdown yet, they've just released the aggregate figures across the whole sample

http://survation.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/08/TTIP-marginals-poll-summary.pdf
  • Options

JackW said:

JackW said:

Manchester though ....

I suspect it's going to be a frustrating day.
    There's also the tennis from Toronto from 4:00pm.

Murray played a stormer yesterday against Wimbledon star Kyrgios 6:2 6:2. Andy is seeded to play Novak in the quarters, who'll have to up his game considerably after last nights showing against Monfils.

• Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,034
    I'm hoping India win the toss, seeing as Cook will never enforce the follow on the best chance for a result is for India to get bowled out 1st and 3rd innings.
  • Options

But Survaton could certainly do a private poll for Unite?

• Options
    MonikerDiCanioMonikerDiCanio Posts: 5,792
    edited August 2014
    The knives are out for Salmond following his Darling debate debacle;
    http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/politics/senior-snp-figures-stick-knife-4015023#.U-M-J-hey9U.twitter
  • Options
    edited August 2014

They can, but they wouldn't exclude any unfavourable stuff from this polling.
  • Options
    GrandioseGrandiose Posts: 2,323
    edited August 2014

The BPC simply says they can't partially publish a poll or disown it. "All data and research findings made on the basis of surveys conducted in the United Kingdom by member organisations that enter the public domain, must include reference to the following..."

"Organisations conducting privately commissioned surveys have the right to maintain the confidentiality of survey findings. However, in the event the results of a privately commissioned poll are made public by the organisation [its employees or agents] that commissioned the survey, such results will be deemed to have entered the public domain"

However whether Survation would allow a poll not to be published at all is up to them.
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    Grandiose said:

The BPC simply says they can't partially publish a poll or disown it. "All data and research findings made on the basis of surveys conducted in the United Kingdom by member organisations that enter the public domain, must include reference to the following..."

However whether Survation would allow a poll not to be published at all is up to them.
    Nah, as we remember with Oakeshott/ICM polling
  • Options
    LennonLennon Posts: 1,737
    edited August 2014
    OT (Cricket) - 11:30am start, toss at 11:00am
  • Options

Grandiose said:

What was the result of that?
  • Options
    Toss at 11:00am. Play from 11:30
  • Options
    timmotimmo Posts: 1,469
    stodge said:

timmo said:

stodge said:

timmo said:

If Boris is really serious he should stand in a marginal Libdem Tory seat like Twickenham or Kingston. It would cheer the Tory troops and scare the living daylights out of the Libdems.
    He would also win.....

As distinct from somewhere like Carshalton & Wallington where on the back of your team's fine performance this May, he probably wouldn't.

Actually he would beat Tom Brake in C&W..you only have to look at the Mayoral election results from there where the LDs were pummelled in all but 2 wards.
    Not really quite the same - we know the LDs do poorly in the Mayoral, GLA and European Parliamentary elections. It's just the small matter of the Borough Council and Westminster elections where the Conservatives fail time and time again to dislodge the LDs.

I agree but Boris would beat him as his name would massively increase turnout and a lot of LibDems love him...might be unpalatable to the party faithful but there it is...
  • Options
    Grandiose said:

Grandiose said:

ICM were forced to publish the data tables of private polling when its existence became public.
  • Options
    SlackbladderSlackbladder Posts: 9,713
    I cannot get my head around what is happening is Iraq right now..

Compare and contrast the coverage of Gaza with the coverage of Iraq...
  • Options
    Looks like England have won the toss with the odds movement on Betfair.
  • Options
    And are batting ?
  • Options

We judge nation states to a higher standard than terrorist organisations.
  • Options
    India win the toss and bat
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    India win the toss and will bat first.

England unchanged.
  • Options
    India win toss and bat.
  • Options

Absolutely, and what Israel is doing is utter wrong, but there is an actual genocide taking place on much higher scale.

This is tens of thousands of people at risk....if not more.
  • Options

Grandiose said:

Grandiose said:

ICM were forced to publish the data tables of private polling when its existence became public.
    I was thinking more of an entirely separate poll rather than the "Is it not also possible that Unite did other constituencies which were less favourable and so they haven't published?". The existence of a separate poll could be entirely secret.
  • Options
    Grandiose said:

Grandiose said:

Grandiose said:

I was thinking more of an entirely separate poll rather than the "Is it not also possible that Unite did other constituencies which were less favourable and so they haven't published?". The existence of a separate poll could be entirely secret.
    If there other constituencies polled as part of this poll, they would not have been excluded from survation final poll.
  • Options

The Islamic State is a De facto nation state right now.
  • Options

Absolutely, and what Israel is doing is utter wrong, but there is an actual genocide taking place on much higher scale.

I know, I think my Mum said last night, we're ignoring Iraq, because we're the ones who messed it up.
  • Options

Grandiose said:

Grandiose said:

Grandiose said:

If there other constituencies polled as part of this poll, they would not have been excluded from survation final poll.
    Yes. (I never disagreed! It was part of the "partially publish" bit.)
  • Options
    MarkSeniorMarkSenior Posts: 4,699
    Grandiose said:

Grandiose said:

Grandiose said:

I think your dislike of the results is causing your brain to come up with ever more feeble reasons to try and discredit the poll .
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,030
    Mr. Slackbladder, I concur.

Mr. Eagles, the Caliphate aspires to nationhood. It might be a despicable nation run along insane lines, but so is North Korea.

It's worthy of more coverage and condemnation, but that would entail the media doing their job instead of just focusing on Gaza. (The situation there must be covered, but so must the Caliphate's murderous insanity).
  • Options

Grandiose said:

Grandiose said:

Grandiose said:

I think your dislike of the results is causing your brain to come up with ever more feeble reasons to try and discredit the poll .
    No, I don't actually doubt the poll. I just wanted to set the record straight on the BPC part.

Are the full tables out yet? Isam would be interested in Thurrock, no doubt, as am I.
  • Options
    JonathanDJonathanD Posts: 2,400

I know, I think my Mum said last night, we're ignoring Iraq, because we're the ones who messed it up.

How can that be? In 2010 Obama was claiming Iraq as a great success. At some point we need to hold people accountable for the success or failure they are making of their country.

"“This is what success looks like,” he said, noting that departing US combat troops will leave behind a “democratic” and “sovereign” Iraq that is “no haven” for the kind of violent extremists that attacked the US on Sept. 11, 2001."

http://www.csmonitor.com/USA/2010/0522/Obama-to-West-Point-grads-Success-in-Iraq-progress-in-Afghanistan
  • Options
    JonathanD said:

How can that be? In 2010 Obama was claiming Iraq as a great success. At some point we need to hold people accountable for the success or failure they are making of their country.

"“This is what success looks like,” he said, noting that departing US combat troops will leave behind a “democratic” and “sovereign” Iraq that is “no haven” for the kind of violent extremists that attacked the US on Sept. 11, 2001."

http://www.csmonitor.com/USA/2010/0522/Obama-to-West-Point-grads-Success-in-Iraq-progress-in-Afghanistan
    People argue about things they think they understand.

ISIS is an uncalcuable unknown by comparison.
  • Options
    HurstLlamaHurstLlama Posts: 9,098

I think we are seeing another example of the four stage FCO response to a crisis:

Stage 1 Say, "Nothing is going to happen"
    Stage 2 Say, Something might be going to happen but there is nothing we should do about it"
    Stage 3 Say "Maybe we should do something but there is nothing we can do"
    Stage 4 Say "Maybe we could have done something, but its too late now"

We appear to be at stage 3.

Dan Hodges has a god take on this:

http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/news/danhodges/100282699/isiss-slaughter-of-the-yazidi-is-a-new-rwanda-happening-before-our-eyes/
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,949
    The situation in Northern Iraq does seem to be getting very, very concerning?

Our best bet is surely to arm the Kurds or support some sort of limited intervention by Turkey?
  • Options
    ArtistArtist Posts: 1,883
    Survation tables

http://survation.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/07/TTIP-tables.pdf

Labour landslide in Broxtowe
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,212

The knives are out for Salmond following his Darling debate debacle;
    http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/politics/senior-snp-figures-stick-knife-4015023#.U-M-J-hey9U.twitter

LOL, the Daily Retard promoted by a turnip. Could you find Scotland on a map.
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

Our best bet is surely to arm the Kurds or support some sort of limited intervention by Turkey?

Those are almost diametrically opposed options. The Turkish will hate any proposal to arm the Kurds and the Kurds would hate Turkish boots on the ground.
  • Options
    Mr. Gin, I was just thinking the same thing about the Kurds.

The potential problem would be that Kurdistan, I believe, extends into Turkey as well and such arms might end up being used against the Turks.

Would the Turks want to get involved against ISIS directly?

Saw a tweet that more Yazidi (small Islamic sect) were killed by ISIS in one day than Palestinians in the last three weeks. The Gaza situation deserves coverage but so does the madmen of ISIS, and there's been sod all. It's a dereliction of duty by the media.
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    Polling Information alert

The Times are launching a new daily email service, starting the 18th of August, called Red Box (fnarr), you don't have to be a subscriber to sign up, but they will be including exclusive YouGov polling info.

The way I read it, the Times are upping their usage of YouGov between now and the election

You can sign up here.

http://redbox.thetimes.co.uk/signup/?CMP=SOC-Twitter-thetimes-28_07_2014-468-0-0-0
  • Options
    JonathanDJonathanD Posts: 2,400

I think we are seeing another example of the four stage FCO response to a crisis:

Stage 1 Say, "Nothing is going to happen"
    Stage 2 Say, Something might be going to happen but there is nothing we should do about it"
    Stage 3 Say "Maybe we should do something but there is nothing we can do"
    Stage 4 Say "Maybe we could have done something, but its too late now"

We appear to be at stage 3.

Dan Hodges has a god take on this:

http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/news/danhodges/100282699/isiss-slaughter-of-the-yazidi-is-a-new-rwanda-happening-before-our-eyes/

That is a good article

"Unfortunately the Yazidi don’t appear to have had access to iPhones, so you won’t have seen the harrowing images of their dead...

But we chose not to do them. Why? Because we are paralysed by our perverse new morality. “We killed innocent people in Iraq,” we say to ourselves, “so to atone we must stand back and let innocent people get killed in Iraq.”

For once, just for once, can we actually do something? ... For once let’s demonstrate that the billions of pounds we spend on the most powerful military forces in human history can actually stand up to a bunch of petty hoodlums with machetes, or AK47s, or Toyota 4x4s."
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,212
    GIN1138 said:

Why not we have armed every other tinpot set of headbangers, might as well go for the full house.
  • Options
    http://www.firstpost.com/world/islamic-state-jihadists-seize-parts-military-base-syria-1654321.html

Syria's war has killed more than 170,000 people since March 2011.

The West has barely been involved in Syria - this idea that Iraq would have been a relative panacea had the USA (Lets not kid ourselves that UK non involvement would have changed a single thing either) not invaded is a nonsense.

Assad is a murderous dictator, so was Saddam and so is Ibrahim (He seems to be the worst of the lot mind).

What I fear is about to happen to the Yazidis stuck up the mountain is going to be one of the worst episodes for humanity since Rwanda.

Israel needs to stop illegally settling the West Bank and engage with the moderatish Fatah, but they are surrounded by utter loons - which probably explains their paranoia.
  • Options
    Grandiose said:

GIN1138 said:

Those are almost diametrically opposed options. The Turkish will hate any proposal to arm the Kurds and the Kurds would hate Turkish boots on the ground.
    It would be nice to think the Kurds could take care of ISIS themselves, but it's hard to know if they are up to it without some sort of outside support.

Mind you, ISIS seem a pretty rag-tag bunch...

• Options

Saw a tweet that more Yazidi (small Islamic sect) were killed by ISIS in one day than Palestinians in the last three weeks. The Gaza situation deserves coverage but so does the madmen of ISIS, and there's been sod all. It's a dereliction of duty by the media.

Gaza utterly does deserve coverage, and Israel should be brought to account for it's actions, but I think honestly, there is a unspoken reason for this, which we all know.
  • Options
    Paging Nick Palmer

The full data tables are out now, Broxtowe is yours

• Options
    Mr. G, unfair to the Kurds. They alone have managed to resist the rising tide of ISIS.

Mr. Gin, ragtag perhaps, but they're winning.
  • Options

Gaza utterly does deserve coverage, and Israel should be brought to account for it's actions, but I think honestly, there is a unspoken reason for this, which we all know.
    Unspoken reason is ?
  • Options
    perdixperdix Posts: 1,806

Mr. Eagles, the Caliphate aspires to nationhood. It might be a despicable nation run along insane lines, but so is North Korea.

It's worthy of more coverage and condemnation, but that would entail the media doing their job instead of just focusing on Gaza. (The situation there must be covered, but so must the Caliphate's murderous insanity).

When the Western Press turn up in Gaza they are feted as supporters. If they turned up in the Caliphate they would be beheaded.

• Options

Mr. G, unfair to the Kurds. They alone have managed to resist the rising tide of ISIS.

Mr. Gin, ragtag perhaps, but they're winning.

At least with ISIS we can (a) do something (b) know who the bad guys are and (c) know what success would look like (ish).
  • Options
    Anybody know what our "Middle East Peace Envoy" thinks we should do about the barbarians of ISIS apparently taking over Iraq?
  • Options
    perdix said:

When the Western Press turn up in Gaza they are feted as supporters. If they turned up in the Caliphate they would be beheaded.

Yes, the IS makes Hamas look like a well meaning charity.
  • Options
    LennonLennon Posts: 1,737
    Is it just me or are some of them a somewhat odd choice of constituencies?

West Dorset?! In what world is anyone other than Letwin going to win that at the next election?
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Unspoken reason is ?
    We set it all in motion by removing the dictator.
  • Options
    Rexel56Rexel56 Posts: 807

a deaf chancellor that basing his budgetary war entirely on cuts ...

Thank goodness for that, I thought I was going to be paying 20% VAT on my shopping later...
  • Options
    I'm reading it on my phone, but I don't think survation named the candidates in their poll.
  • Options

I'm reading it on my phone, but I don't think survation named the candidates in their poll.

No indication in the tables they did.
  • Options
    We intervened in Iraq and thousands have died.

We didn't intervene in Syria and thousands have died.

Something tells me that part of the world is a bit volatile, no matter what we do.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,380
    Artist said:

Survation tables

Thanks Artist. A 22-point lead on this sample - hey, I'll settle for that...
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Unspoken reason is ?
    That the conflict is mired in politics, and many different motives both historical and current going beyond the basic facts of the actions on both sides.

Simply, it's emotional, and it's cross religion.

And throw in anti-Semitism if you want, it's complicated.
  • Options
    In other news Russia announces its retaliation trade sanctions against Western countries. Basically food products from the USA, the EU, Norway, Australia and Canada are to be banned

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-28687172

Does anyone know the current state of Russian agriculture? I am just trying to work out who these sanctions will hurt.
  • Options

Artist said:

Survation tables

Thanks Artist. A 22-point lead on this sample - hey, I'll settle for that...
    Looks like your on your way back to The Commons!!!!!

• Options
    India two down already
  • Options

In other news Russia announces its retaliation trade sanctions against Western countries. Basically food products from the USA, the EU, Norway, Australia and Canada are to be banned

Does anyone know the current state of Russian agriculture? I am just trying to work out who these sanctions will hurt.

APparently Russia imports 40% of its food, though from where I do not know.

"Russia is Europe's second largest market for food and drink and has been an important consumer of Polish pig meat and Dutch fruit and vegetables. Exports of food and raw materials to Russia were worth €12.2bn (£9.7bn) in 2013, following several years of double-digit growth.

The UK is less likely to lose out; in 2013 its biggest food and drink export was £17m of frozen fish, followed by £5.7m of cheese and £5.3m of coffee."

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/43cc34d6-1d5f-11e4-b927-00144feabdc0.html#axzz39hbWdmly
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    India 8/3

Now it's time to back the draw.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 41,072
    India 8-3

Only rain can save em?
  • Options

India 8/3

Thought you already did?
  • Options
    I can believe a Ukip spike is coming in Broxtowe thanks to Soubry's remarks on Farage. Combined with the Clegg factor, Labour back in by default.
  • Options

Mr. Gin, I was just thinking the same thing about the Kurds.

The potential problem would be that Kurdistan, I believe, extends into Turkey as well and such arms might end up being used against the Turks.

Would the Turks want to get involved against ISIS directly?

The Yazidi is in no way, shape or form an Islamic sect. It is related to Zoroastrianism and the Iranian religions. It is less Islamic than Christianity and Judaism for sure.
  • Options
    isam said:

India 8/3

Thought you already did?
    Pulpstar told me to hang fire.
  • Options
    Sweet baby Jesus, Liverpool are on the verge of signing Falcao!
  • Options
    Mr. Pulpstar, sorry, that's my mistake.
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633

India 8/3

Backed England at 3.2

Draw is for softies.
  • Options
    8/4
  • Options
    Lowest total records being dusted off ?
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

India 8/3

Backed England at 3.2

Draw is for softies.
    It was a patriotic bet.

Ahem, I have tickets for the first four days (I'm going this afternoon)

England never win when I go see them play.
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,915
    8-4 after 28 mins

wow
  • Options

TGOHF said:

India 8/3

Backed England at 3.2

Draw is for softies.
    It was a patriotic bet.

I'd get a move on - game might be over by tea..
  • Options

They're dismissing it on RAWK and he doesn't fit the age profile. What's your source?

Not watching the cricket but it would appear my old mate Alastair must be a genius.

• Options
    I'm sticking with the draw lay. Didn't quite expect this, mind.
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

Lowest total records being dusted off ?

26 is the test match record
  • Options
    TykejohnnoTykejohnno Posts: 7,362
    Bloody hell,England on fire.
  • Options
    Rexel56Rexel56 Posts: 807

Source please? Too important to get hopes up only to be dashed!
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Rain dance your only hope..
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

TGOHF said:

India 8/3

Backed England at 3.2

Draw is for softies.
    It was a patriotic bet.

I'd get a move on - game might be over by tea..
    My inner Michael Fish said, miss the morning, as you don't want to freeze your nuts off getting drenched this morning.

This may have been my worst misjudgement since I backed Hazel Blears as next Lab leader after Gordon Brown
  • Options

They're dismissing it on RAWK and he doesn't fit the age profile. What's your source?

Not watching the cricket but it would appear my old mate Alastair must be a genius.

Liverpool Echo and The Times' Liverpool correspondent.

Falcao signing would Rock Me
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

Pulpstar said:

Rain dance your only hope..
    Why on earth would I do a rain dance when I've laid the draw ?
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    Labour candidate in Thurrock making up ukip policies...scared much?

"UKIP is peddling simplistic answers that we should counter: not by spending our time pointlessly factually correcting people, but by having a conversation based on hope. UKIP’s politics of despair is based on a zero-sum games of jobs, public services and homes – where the country doesn’t just freeze but turns the clock back. Or, depending who they are talking to, would introduce a flat tax rate for all, charge you for your GP, and abolish many of our hard-fought-for employment rights like paid holidays and maternity leave. Like the Tories only more so."

& a balanced view on the pros and cons of EU exit

"UKIP want to say to people the only way to protect you from those risks is to turn your back on the world, with no thought to the horrendous economic consequences of becoming a small-state free-market island, a low-rent sweatshop on the edge of Europe."

http://labourlist.org/2014/08/ignoring-ukip-isnt-just-an-electoral-mistake-it-is-a-moral-one-too/
  • Options
    Mr. Eagles, that's Falco. And you're not called Amadeus.
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    Grandiose said:

"Russia is Europe's second largest market for food and drink and has been an important consumer of Polish pig meat and Dutch fruit and vegetables. Exports of food and raw materials to Russia were worth €12.2bn (£9.7bn) in 2013, following several years of double-digit growth.

The UK is less likely to lose out; in 2013 its biggest food and drink export was £17m of frozen fish, followed by £5.7m of cheese and £5.3m of coffee."

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/43cc34d6-1d5f-11e4-b927-00144feabdc0.html#axzz39hbWdmly
    Thanks for that. If they are importing 40% of their food (nearly as high a percentage as the UK), then unless they can find alternative sources, it might be time to dust off some old Soviet era jokes.

What is half a mile long and eats cabbage? The queue outside a Moscow butcher's shop.
  • Options
    FalseFlagFalseFlag Posts: 1,801
    Grandiose said:

Probably not a bad thing given all the rubbish they do with Western food. Lost a stone within a month of moving to Russia and I figure that and the lack of obesity there has a lot do with the different method of food processing.

On a more serious note the US driven conflict in the Ukraine is likely to push Europe back into recession and thus a sovereign debt crisis. Time for Europe to tell the Americans to take a hike and for a deal to be thrashed out.
    http://www.independent.ie/world-news/europe/germany-brokers-secret-deal-with-russia-to-end-ukraine-crisis-30474000.html

Of course George F. Kennan saw this all happening a long time ago.
    http://www.nytimes.com/1998/05/02/opinion/foreign-affairs-now-a-word-from-x.html
    Oh for the days when America was run by the WASP aristocracy.
  • Options

Mr. Eagles, that's Falco. And you're not called Amadeus.

Yay, someone got my subtle Pop Music reference
  • Options
    TSE - It could be something to do with FPP - Monaco needing to stay within the rules. But could Liverpool sign him and stay within the rules themselves? Already spent most the Suarez dosh.
  • Options

TSE - It could be something to do with FPP - Monaco needing to stay within the rules. But could Liverpool sign him and stay within the rules themselves? Already spent most the Suarez dosh.

Liverpool are well under the FPP rules, most of the losses we've incurred in the last few years and will lose in the next two years don't count towards FPP because they are stadium costs.

Since FSG have taken over, they've boosted our performance off the field as well.

So we're one of the better run clubs.
This discussion has been closed.