Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Survation poll in 13 key CON held marginals finds CON to LA

SystemSystem Posts: 11,688
edited August 2014 in General

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Survation poll in 13 key CON held marginals finds CON to LAB swing of 9%

Many of the seats in the poll were included within the recent phases of Lord Ashcroft’s marginals polling though his latest numbers suggest a move about one half of what Survation has found.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    JBriskinJBriskin Posts: 2,380
    First! Can't say I don't like strange thread time o'clock when I happen to be up - I'm watching movie mix for the record.
  • Options
    OT - Interesting, I will watch my film for a bit and perhaps my thoughts will have evolved enough beyond blandness to warrant a post for the morning people.
  • Options
    MikeSmithsonMikeSmithson Posts: 7,382
    The timing has been driven by the embargo which I follow
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    Pretty meaningless to analysed unless they provide us with a national snapshot ax well
  • Options

The timing has been driven by the embargo which I follow

Well I quite approve - as an obvious fan of PB it's good that it gets us the news as quickly as possible.

My film has finished, and I don't have much more to add - so i'll just fall back on a recent PB cliché -

Ed is crap is PM

Sorry.

Hopefully the morning people will be better.
  • Options
    asjohnstoneasjohnstone Posts: 1,276
    Charles said:

Pretty meaningless to analysed unless they provide us with a national snapshot ax well

Not at all, detailed polling in 13 seats, esp key marginals is very meaningful. If these were the only 13 seats to change a Lab / Lib Dem administration would be entirely possible, in fact likely.

National polling is pretty useless. UNS dosn't really exist. Who cares if the UKIP cut tory majorities in norfolk for example ?

What matters is seats, around 100 seats changed hands last time round, what happens in these is all that really matters. FPTP makes the election is 80% of the country meaningless, only the 20% of swing seats count, the more polling we have the better.

In fact, the election will be decided by around 100,000 people at most.
  • Options
    MrJonesMrJones Posts: 3,523
    FPT
    SeanT said:

Trouble is the Kurds are losing, and ISIS are gaining new followers. They're like some Mongol army, enslaving recruiting and beheading their way to victory.

We need to arm the Kurds with some serious shit. They are the best bet for crushing ISIS.

I could be wrong but I think the Kurds were just taken by surprise as no-one was expecting ISIS to start a third front. Last i read they already retook that dam and seem to be mighty p***ed off.

• Options
    SquareRootSquareRoot Posts: 7,095
    What questions were asked? How were they asked? What were the sample numbers? It was for UNITE ... loads of reasons to be sceptical.. I don't trust marginal polls , usually the survey nos are far too small.
  • Options
    edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,151
    Not buying it.
  • Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787
    "Survation for UNITE"

One organization helping to prop up Ed's position and the other happens to be a trade union.

• Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    Unite ? Hmm....
  • Options

Not buying it.

Get in the queue .... UNITE has first dibs on Labour

• Options

Charles said:

Not at all, detailed polling in 13 seats, esp key marginals is very meaningful. If these were the only 13 seats to change a Lab / Lib Dem administration would be entirely possible, in fact likely.

National polling is pretty useless. UNS dosn't really exist. Who cares if the UKIP cut tory majorities in norfolk for example ?

What matters is seats, around 100 seats changed hands last time round, what happens in these is all that really matters. FPTP makes the election is 80% of the country meaningless, only the 20% of swing seats count, the more polling we have the better.

In fact, the election will be decided by around 100,000 people at most.
    Not talking about UNS, but trying to get an understanding of where the poll stands in comparison to the more regular ones.

If the national polling lead for Labour is 3 or 4 points & this marginal polls shows these results it could be very significant (although interested to know where Labour is underperforming with the national polling if it is doing this well in marginals). If, however, the national equivalent from this poll set shows, say, a 41% Labour share and a 31% Tory share, then I would be much more sceptical about whether it is worth anything
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    The old PB rule is applying once again. The more people dislike a poll the more they question its veracity.

There are detailed issues about the poll but the fact it was sponsored by UNITE is not one of them. VI questions asked first in proper manner. You can't fault it. My quibbles are details on weightings.

Boris has worked out that the Tories are in trouble for GE2015 and the big picture from these numbers is that he's right.
  • Options
    Wulfrun_PhilWulfrun_Phil Posts: 4,602
    TGOHF said:

Unite ? Hmm....

Heaven forbid, a trade union has commissioned an opinion poll in marginal seats!

Is your "Hmn" reserved for polling commissioned by trade unions? Or has it already been trotted out for the polling of marginals by Lord Ashcroft and for that by Survation commissioned by UKIP?

• Options
    edited August 2014

TGOHF said:

Unite ? Hmm....

Heaven forbid, a trade union has commissioned an opinion poll in marginal seats!

Is your "Hmn" reserved for polling commissioned by trade unions? Or has it already been trotted out for the polling of marginals by Lord Ashcroft and for that by Survation commissioned by UKIP?

To be fair, Ashcroft's polls seem very bouncy, and Survation isn't near the top of my list of pollsters to trust.

If this were an ICM poll I'd take it more seriously, next would be Populus and/or YouGov.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,311
    Do we know what the national number equivalents of this poll were? It is showing a 9% swing which is pretty substantial. If the national equivalent was, say, Labour 36, tories 31 then that would be the equivalent of a 6% swing indicating that Labour is in fact doing better in these marginals, by a significant if not by a huge amount.

The question would then be why. If these seats had a larger Lib Dem share than most marginals then the collapse in Lib Dem support may be one reason. The UKIP number is also somewhat higher than we have been seeing with most pollsters recently. That has presumably impacted on the tory share. Are there are special factors in these marginals that have caused UKIP to out perform their national figures?

Without fuller information it is hard to judge properly but this poll would seem to be at least circumstantial evidence to support what Ashcroft has also been showing, namely that the Tories are doing slightly worse in the marginal seats where it will count.
  • Options
    Wulfrun_PhilWulfrun_Phil Posts: 4,602

The old PB rule is applying once again. The more people dislike a poll the more they question its veracity.

There are detailed issues about the poll but the fact it was sponsored by UNITE is not one of them. VI questions asked first in proper manner. You can't fault it. My quibbles are details on weightings.

Indeed. I haven't yet seen the tables, but Survation's previous polling of 4 commuter marginals for the RMT also asked the VI questions first, so there's not reason to doubt that they did the same here.

• Options
    edited August 2014
    Charles said:

TGOHF said:

Unite ? Hmm....

To be fair, Ashcroft's polls seem very bouncy, and Survation isn't near the top of my list of pollsters to trust.

If this were an ICM poll I'd take it more seriously, next would be Populus and/or YouGov.
    Unfortunately the only pollsters doing non-standard polling are Lord Ashcroft and Survation. The online pollsters are unable to do polls like this one and few can afford ICM.

Both Survation and Ashcroft poll did reasonably well at the Newark by-election

• Options
    MonksfieldMonksfield Posts: 2,203
    Hilarious response from PB Tory world. Bias! infamy! Red Ed! Other Red Ed!

Marginals contain lots of the type of voter that has basically been battered by this Government. Public sector workers, the relatively low paid. Recent graduates struggling to get a decent job. They've seen that despite the rhetoric we've not all been in it together; and a Govt with a weak mandate has used the credit crunch as cover to drive forward radical agendas in the public sector, especially local government. That affect them directly.

Even the IMF is telling a deaf chancellor that basing his budgetary war entirely on cuts is ultimately societally nihilistic.

If ordinary hard working people are seeing themselves get scammed then it's no surprise they won't vote for the parties that they perceive as being resoonsible. That 's why the Tories are going to lose an election that they really shouldn't.

• Options

TGOHF said:

Unite ? Hmm....

What workers rights have been protected by this poll ?
  • Options
    edited August 2014

Hilarious response from PB Tory world. Bias! infamy! Red Ed! Other Red Ed!

Marginals contain lots of the type of voter that has basically been battered by this Government. Public sector workers, the relatively low paid. Recent graduates struggling to get a decent job. They've seen that despite the rhetoric we've not all been in it together; and a Govt with a weak mandate has used the credit crunch as cover to drive forward radical agendas in the public sector, especially local government. That affect them directly.

Even the IMF is telling a deaf chancellor that basing his budgetary war entirely on cuts is ultimately societally nihilistic.

If ordinary hard working people are seeing themselves get scammed then it's no surprise they won't vote for the parties that they perceive as being resoonsible. That 's why the Tories are going to lose an election that they really shouldn't.

Chutzpah !! If this had shown the Tories ahead and it was commissioned by the Tory party, you would have been asking the very same questions.
    That's why OGH is wrong to question why people ask such questions and suggest its because they don't like the answer, its precisely because it was on behalf of UNITE that people question its impartiality.. and damned right they are to.
    If OGH has got issues with the weightings I think one can dismiss this poll and move on.
    Sir Humphrey Appleby says all that's needed..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G0ZZJXw4MTA

• Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548

Charles said:

TGOHF said:

Unite ? Hmm....

Unfortunately the only pollsters doing non-standard polling are Lord Ashcroft and Survation. The online pollsters are unable to do polls like this one and few can afford ICM.

Both Survation and Ashcroft poll did reasonably well at the Newark by-election

The task of finding seats likely to go Labour is not an easy one, the task of finding LD gains, or Tory gains from Labour is much harder. The likelihood of Labour having a small majority must be high. The best value to me looks to be on the Labour seats bands.

In other news we finally see one genocide punished:

https://uk.news.yahoo.com/international-tribunal-cambodia-jails-khmer-rouge-duo-life-034411718.html

While ISIS show they want a new year zero in the middle east. They are the Khymer Rouge with prayer mats. When they have control of Syria and Lebanon, they plan to move on Israel:

http://www.israelnationalnews.com/wap/Item.aspx?type=0&item=182751
  • Options
    compouter2compouter2 Posts: 2,371
    Have Survation factored in the PB Hodges Cameroonian swingback on top of the Ed is crap and the UKIP fallback?
  • Options
    EasterrossEasterross Posts: 1,915
    Morning all and shock horror, pollster who is not very good at getting the parties correct finds big Labour lead in marginal poll for Labour's chief funder.

Didn't Survation do 2 polls at Newark and the first one was far from similar to the result. It was only the one which came out after Ashcroft's poll which showed a big Tory lead.
  • Options
    It doesn't surprise me at all from what I see in what should be local Labour Con marginals. Certainly in Barrow Labour has borrowed the inter-election techniques of the Lib Dems and that will per se improve the Labour poll standing. I have no reason to suppose Barrow is alone or has a particularly gifted agent.

How solid this is I don't know. Central Office must hope, probably with limited reason that the advantage will dissipate in the run up to an election.

Of course in Barrow Labour has the MP although really the Tories should have taken it in 2010 if there had been better candidate selection. ( The Tories ran good local candidates in Barrow from 1997 to 2005 when there was no chance but then chose an offcumber for 2010 when the previous candidates would probably have won.)

I guess where there is a Tory MP, if he is any good then Labour won't be getting away with what they are doing in Barrow. Morecambe and Lunesdale will be one to watch. I don't have the same insider info there though.

People are reading too much into the Boris story. As with William Hague the time had come because of the internal Conservative Party candidate selection process. There is some evidence of the better candidates on the the approved lists such as they are holding back and so making it difficult the get the best candidates for those seats which we need to just hold or just take. After all, would you seek selection in say Bury before you had tried for Richmondshire ? You would be stuck and even if your chances of selection in Richmondshire would be very small there would always be the what if.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,259
    The crucial swing is LibDem to Lab. As Mike often says, these are the important people in 2015. Clegg has lost swathes of social liberal voters. Can't see them coming back. But, will they just not vote in the end?
  • Options
    If this poll was even remotely representative of what is happening on the ground 1) Labour would be winning council by-elections by the spade load instead of the odd one or two and 2) Labour MPs would not now openly be saying Ed is going to lose the GE.

Let's see how many more older Labour and LibDem MPs announce their retirement over the remaining 5 months of this year, starting with the occupant of Edinburgh SW on 19th September.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,988
    Good morning, everyone.

Couldn't find the ISIS/Kurdish story on the BBC, but let's hope the Kurds give them a thrashing.
  • Options

If this poll was even remotely representative of what is happening on the ground 1) Labour would be winning council by-elections by the spade load instead of the odd one or two and 2) Labour MPs would not now openly be saying Ed is going to lose the GE.

Let's see how many more older Labour and LibDem MPs announce their retirement over the remaining 5 months of this year, starting with the occupant of Edinburgh SW on 19th September.

I hope you aren't suggesting this is a cynical electioneering off the books ploy to highlight to LD voters that only the Unite party can stop the toffs ?

Perish the thought.
  • Options
    dugarbandierdugarbandier Posts: 2,596
    O/T Stoke city glasses on here, but Bojan Krkic 150-1 premiership top scorer...
  • Options
    I would like to congratulate Team Boris for putting his name forward to be a candidate for the next election. Let the fun and games begin.
  • Options
    ChameleonChameleon Posts: 3,886
    edited August 2014
    I'm doubtful, I think we need to see the methodology and weighting...
  • Options
    BREAKING WIND NEWS **** BREAKING WIND NEWS **** BREAKING WIND NEWS ****

The breaking news is that WIND is reporting to JNN that McARSE will be calling the result of the Scottish Referendum in the final McARSE projection to be published exclusively on PB at 9:00am on Tuesday 12th August.

................................................................................................

WIND - Whimsical Independent News Division
    JNN - Jacobite News Network
    McARSE - My Caledonian Anonymous Random Selection of Electors
  • Options
    Welcome to pb.com, Mr. Chameleon.
  • Options

But which Mr. Chameleon ... and is it Mr ??

The world awaits a statement.

• Options
    JackW said:

The breaking news is that WIND is reporting to JNN that McARSE will be calling the result of the Scottish Referendum in the final McARSE projection to be published exclusively on PB at 9:00am on Tuesday 12th August.

................................................................................................

A month before the result - is your ARSE becoming slack ?
  • Options

I would like to congratulate Team Boris for putting his name forward to be a candidate for the next election. Let the fun and games begin.

You laying the Cons in Uxbridge ?
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901
    Wondering if Boris saw similar research before he decided to go for the leadership.
  • Options
    MarkSeniorMarkSenior Posts: 4,699
    edited August 2014

Council by elections being held now are for seats last fought in 2011/2012/2013/2014 when they already had swung quite heavily from Conservative to Labour so no person with any sensible knowledge of politics would be expecting Labour gains by the bucket load .
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

JackW said:

A month before the result - is your ARSE becoming slack ?
    This race is done.

My McARSE is highly efficient and doesn't require endless outpourings to solidify its final determination.

The initial indication is that the final projection will be "Mike Smithson Interesting"

• Options
    FlightpathFlightpath Posts: 4,012

Morning all and shock horror, pollster who is not very good at getting the parties correct finds big Labour lead in marginal poll for Labour's chief funder.

Didn't Survation do 2 polls at Newark and the first one was far from similar to the result. It was only the one which came out after Ashcroft's poll which showed a big Tory lead.

These are my sentiments. I have to say I feel the same about Ashcroft's polls, he has his own agenda.
    But I am something of an old cynic.
  • Options

TGOHF said:

Unite ? Hmm....

Trade Unions should be abolished. They have destroyed Britain's ability to compete in the world. Anyone who disagrees with this should be taken out and shot. In fact, everyone who isn't a Tory or a Kipper should be taken out and shot.

Query: am I on the right website?

• Options
    ChameleonChameleon Posts: 3,886

Thanks, been lurking here for long enough.
  • Options
    JackW said:

Jack isn't there some potion your grandmother would have prescribed for loose bowels?
  • Options
    SmarmeronSmarmeron Posts: 5,099
    @Innocent_Abroad
    You are indeed on the right website, or at least one of the correct ones.
    If you had suggested that bankers should be taken out and shot, you would hear howls of "disgusting" and "shame on you" though, so be careful.
  • Options

TGOHF said:

Unite ? Hmm....

Trade Unions should be abolished. They have destroyed Britain's ability to compete in the world. Anyone who disagrees with this should be taken out and shot. In fact, everyone who isn't a Tory or a Kipper should be taken out and shot.

Query: am I on the right website?

Looking at some of the PB Hodges on here, that view is mainstream for this site.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,931
    Smarmeron said:

@Innocent_Abroad
    You are indeed on the right website, or at least one of the correct ones.
    If you had suggested that bankers should be taken out and shot, you would hear howls of "disgusting" and "shame on you" though, so be careful.

Or if you has suggested Lee Rigbys murderers be taken out and shot
  • Options

JackW said:

Jack isn't there some potion your grandmother would have prescribed for loose bowels?
    Indeed so.

It's available at all good apothecaries. I understand YES folk have been purchasing it in bulk !!

• Options
    edited August 2014
    TGOHF said:

I don't bet. Though I do appreciate the great work Team Boris will be doing between now and the election.
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,873
    I am ashamed just went to the paper shop for the I and came away with 2 Suns as well.

My principles sold for a £9.20 profit on 2 no spend required Morrisons vouchers.

Clearly I will not read the papers which are destined for the large black wheelie file minus vouchers.

Still I am ashamed and i may have now boosted circulation further with this post.

Ashamed and stupid. Bad start to the day.

But at least Pakistan scored more than 285, so profitable day so far although I fear reinvesting my profits on a Derbyshire victory later today may be less than wise.

Survation poll EICIPM
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    @isam
    Why stop at Lee Rigby's killers? There are dozens, perhaps hundreds that deserve the maximum punishment? We abolished the death penalty, and reinstating it for individual cases runs contrary to our British values.
    You should be shot for suggesting such a thing! ;-)
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,929
    If the Lib Dems average 4.5% in all of the seats they don't currently hold, average say 20% in 27 losses and 38% in 30 holds what will their overall % be ?
  • Options
    More Christians fleeing ISIS lunatics, it appears:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-28686998
  • Options
    Draw @ 1.85 for the test, starting off with a draw lay for £30.
  • Options
    Morning all.

OT but continuing from the end of the last thread, I got this from my friend Steve in Erbil this morning. He was practicing his purple prose as a joke we have with each other whenever we are in foreign parts but his basic news is also of interest.

"There is an eerie, nervous silence on the Streets of Erbil today. This busy booming city of 3 million people lies quiet. the streets are deserted, the shopping malls echo with silence.

This is a city with the pall of fear, because ISIS were on their way here last night, coming up the largely undefended southern road. The people know what ISIS do, they know they slaughter Christians, execute non-believers, and are currently committing genocide on the Yazidi people, who are dying by the hundred, or maybe even by the thousand, nobody really knows, except perhaps the Yazidi themselves.

So the people are staying indoors, they know what will happen to them if ISIS do get here.
    And the question must be asked : How did this happen? How did the Kurd's biggest city, and perhaps their future capital, find itself undefended and vulnerable.

The Kurdish forces, and the bulk of their heavy weapons, are off to the northwest. They are attacking Mosul : they have it surrounded, it's expected they will defeat ISIS and take back the city. Yesterday the Kurdish forces took back the town of Shangal.

The Kurdish forces, the Peshmerger, have taken the fight to ISIS. But in doing so they have left Erbil painfully exposed, and a group of ISIS militia have taken advantage of this mistake, and have moved on the city.

Let's be clear about one thing. They can not take the city, they can not occupy it. But they can cause death and mayhem before they are killed.

This is a suicide mission. And Erbil knows it."
  • Options
    @Morris_Dancer
    Seems those Christians share a lot in common with the Kurds and Shia, and indeed several other races and religions.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,931
    edited August 2014
    Ukip South Thanet announcement tmrw?

Paul Francis (@PaulOnPolitics)
    07/08/2014 08:43
    Is @Nigel_Farage preparing to show his election hand over #Thanet South? kentonline.co.uk/thanet/news/uk…
  • Options
    isam said:

Paul Francis (@PaulOnPolitics)
    07/08/2014 08:43
    Is @Nigel_Farage preparing to show his election hand over #Thanet South? kentonline.co.uk/thanet/news/uk…

I'm not counting any bets till they are hatched after OGH's "Lansley nailed on" went awry.
  • Options
    state_go_awaystate_go_away Posts: 5,422
    edited August 2014
    Is it just me or does ISIS sound like an opinion pollster? If Mike Smithson puts up a thread saying ISIS have UKIP on 12% I wouldn't bat an eyelid

Perhaps Lord Ashcroft should set up an armed wing?
  • Options
    Pick a 2 digit number. Reverse it then add to the original number. Have you got a palindrome?

Only works 91% of the time methinks
  • Options

Pick a 2 digit number. Reverse it then add to the original number. Have you got a palindrome?

Got that from the Sun's tea break section?
  • Options
    MikeKMikeK Posts: 9,053

Morning all.

OT but continuing from the end of the last thread, I got this from my friend Steve in Erbil this morning. He was practicing his purple prose as a joke we have with each other whenever we are in foreign parts but his basic news is also of interest.

"There is an eerie, nervous silence on the Streets of Erbil today. This busy booming city of 3 million people lies quiet. the streets are deserted, the shopping malls echo with silence.

This is a city with the pall of fear, because ISIS were on their way here last night, coming up the largely undefended southern road. The people know what ISIS do, they know they slaughter Christians, execute non-believers, and are currently committing genocide on the Yazidi people, who are dying by the hundred, or maybe even by the thousand, nobody really knows, except perhaps the Yazidi themselves.

So the people are staying indoors, they know what will happen to them if ISIS do get here.
    And the question must be asked : How did this happen? How did the Kurd's biggest city, and perhaps their future capital, find itself undefended and vulnerable.

The Kurdish forces, and the bulk of their heavy weapons, are off to the northwest. They are attacking Mosul : they have it surrounded, it's expected they will defeat ISIS and take back the city. Yesterday the Kurdish forces took back the town of Shangal.

The Kurdish forces, the Peshmerger, have taken the fight to ISIS. But in doing so they have left Erbil painfully exposed, and a group of ISIS militia have taken advantage of this mistake, and have moved on the city.

Let's be clear about one thing. They can not take the city, they can not occupy it. But they can cause death and mayhem before they are killed.

This is a suicide mission. And Erbil knows it."

ISIS and their brothers in Islam are simply killers carrying out the instructions of the quran to kill infidils wherever they find them.

@drapermark37: Corporal'sHEADCOUNTbewareGRAPHICimages http://t.co/Dy4PmUytoo”The more Moslems do the more I want Kafir revenge.We R strong!

— Aknman Kafir (@cdergle) August 6, 2014
  • Options
    edited August 2014

TGOHF said:

I don't bet. Though I do appreciate the great work Team Boris will be doing between now and the election.
    Imagine Boris as PM, Harry as King and Prince Philip in the background as the patriach of the realm - and we leave the EU and have EVEL - almost perfect.
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

TGOHF said:

Imagine Boris as PM, Harry as King and Prince Philip in the background as the patriach of the realm - and we leave the EU and have EVEL - almost perfect.
    TGOHF said:

TGOHF said:

Just need Gary Lineker to oust Sepp Blatter then it would!
  • Options

Shhh i am not reading it!!!

Sabine 20 from London is best bit so far
  • Options
    volcanopetevolcanopete Posts: 2,078
    The only way to prove the results of this Survation polling,on behalf of Unite,the largest trade union in Britain and Ireland,is for the Tory donors to reveal themselves and do similar polling on behalf of hedge fund managers,the Tories' union paymasters,the NFU, and the United and Cecil Club.
    This is the modern day Tory party,led by useless Old Etonians,who cannot even stitch the unions up these days.
    http://www.unitetheunion.org/news/tories-shoot-themselves-in-the-foot-with-trade-union-smears/
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

TGOHF said:

I think we will have plenty more front pages like todays Daily Heil......and long may they continue between now and the election.
  • Options
    SpeedySpeedy Posts: 12,100
    Comparing the ashcroft marginals and the survation marginals you see that survation did a much smaller sample per constituency ( only 200 people).

The only LAB vs CON marginal constituencies that you can compare that look like they have similar results (ashcroft in parenthesis) are:
    Lancaster & Fleetwood LAB 43, CON 28, UKIP 14 ( LAB 41, CON 27, UKIP 18)
    Thurrock LAB 33, UKIP 32, CON 30 (UKIP 36,LAB 30, CON 28)

The rest usually have Labour blasting ahead 20-25% at 50%, which is similar to 1997-2001 levels. Very unrealistic.
  • Options

Shhh i am not reading it!!!

Sabine 20 from London is best bit so far
    This literally is another world where all women only wear bra and pants.

Dreading article on Theresa May
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,259
    Guido reporting that Zac Goldsmith is in the Boris camp. This seems pretty bizarre. Not sure Boris is too keen on all that 'green crap', especially from the EU.
  • Options

Guido reporting that Zac Goldsmith is in the Boris camp. This seems pretty bizarre. Not sure Boris is too keen on all that 'green crap', especially from the EU.

Oh, that would be fun a concerted effort against Cameron and Co from Goldsmith and Team Boris.....oh, what a laugh.
  • Options

The only way to prove the results of this Survation polling,on behalf of Unite,the largest trade union in Britain and Ireland,is for the Tory donors to reveal themselves and do similar polling on behalf of hedge fund managers,the Tories' union paymasters,the NFU, and the United and Cecil Club.
    This is the modern day Tory party,led by useless Old Etonians,who cannot even stitch the unions up these days.
    http://www.unitetheunion.org/news/tories-shoot-themselves-in-the-foot-with-trade-union-smears/

Unite of course could have given their members a fees refund instead of commissioning this poll - to help with the cost of living crisis.

• Options
    Team Boris are now FOBs who are going against FOGs. There just wont be enough political missiles in the world to satisfy this Blue on Blue Incoming.
  • Options

Team Boris are now FOBs who are going against FOGs. There just wont be enough political missiles in the world to satisfy this Blue on Blue Incoming.

Open your eyes and see all the red on red... muttering about Ed ..
  • Options

Open your eyes and see all the red on red... muttering about Ed ..
    http://www.politicshome.com/uk/article/102853/the_daily_mail_wednesday_6th_august_2014.html

As the advert goes, I'm Loving It!
  • Options
    timmotimmo Posts: 1,469
    If Boris is really serious he should stand in a marginal Libdem Tory seat like Twickenham or Kingston. It would cheer the Tory troops and scare the living daylights out of the Libdems.
    He would also win.....
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,487
    edited August 2014
    Looking at the initial survation release the things to note

1) There is no past vote recall, but the weightings reflect the demographic of the seats.

2) On a rough estimate, 200 people sampled per seat, so the MOE is around 6.6%, which is more than double the MOE of the Ashcroft marginal polls, which polls around 1,000 voters

3) In the Con/LD seats, there's a 4% swing from LD to Con - Which is interesting, which shows we should view Con/LD and LD/Con marginals differently, which should alarm the Lib Dems.
  • Options
    LennonLennon Posts: 1,733
    timmo said:

If Boris is really serious he should stand in a marginal Libdem Tory seat like Twickenham or Kingston. It would cheer the Tory troops and scare the living daylights out of the Libdems.
    He would also win.....

I'm looking forward to him turning his attentions to Lambeth and Streatham in particular...

Boris v Chukka - A true case of the Blonde v the Bland

(http://www.brixtonbuzz.com/2014/08/boris-in-brixton-could-the-mayor-come-looking-for-a-south-london-seat-behave/)

• Options
    Lennon said:

timmo said:

He would also win.....

I'm looking forward to him turning his attentions to Lambeth and Streatham in particular...

(http://www.brixtonbuzz.com/2014/08/boris-in-brixton-could-the-mayor-come-looking-for-a-south-london-seat-behave/)

Camberwell and Peckham

Boris vs Harriet Harman would be great
  • Options

1) There is no past vote recall, but the weightings reflect the demographic of the seats.

Internet pollsters that weight for past VI (All of them so far as I know) tend to find too many 2010 Labour supporters compared to 2010 Cons.

• Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,864
    timmo said:

He would also win.....

As distinct from somewhere like Carshalton & Wallington where on the back of your team's fine performance this May, he probably wouldn't.

• Options
    edited August 2014
    I'm backing the draw in Manchester.

It is going to rain cats and dogs the next few days, which isn't usual for Manchester, but my knowledge of the area, doesn't give me hope for a positive result
  • Options
    TCPoliticalBettingTCPoliticalBetting Posts: 10,819
    edited August 2014

It is clear that there is a very large group opposed to Osborne within the Conservative party. The first big hurdle Osborne will have to overcome in a Leadership election is getting into the top 2 choices of the MPs. He may find that very difficult if there are 2 credible opponents who can muster more votes. Osborne is well known to have had his fingers over reshuffles and that has created a growing list of enemies. Even some of those he has "promoted" such as Justine, have since fallen out with him. One indication is the scale of the backbench revolt over Europe which indicates that over 2/3 of the MPs are not prepared to take the Osborne line, when he asked them to.
  • Options

I'm backing the draw in Manchester.

It is going to rain cats and dogs the next few days, which isn't usual for Manchester, but my knowledge of the area, doesn't give me hope for a positive result

At 1.9 ?

Are you mad ?

At least wait till its over evens.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Internet pollsters that weight for past VI (All of them so far as I know) tend to find too many 2010 Labour supporters compared to 2010 Cons.

It's more people recall voting Lab (and UKIP) in 2010 than actually did.
  • Options
    @TheScreamingEagles
    He sounded out Uxbridge last week, and announced he was standing this week.
    I would assume from those events, he is looking for something more on the safer side than a marginal held by Labour.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Last 4 Yougovs and last 2 Populus found "too many" 2010 Labour also.

If a VI survey is not weighted for past VI, it will more than likely I think show a better result for Labour than if it was past VI weighted.
  • Options
    SimonStClareSimonStClare Posts: 7,976
    edited August 2014

Lennon said:

timmo said:

He would also win.....

Camberwell and Peckham

Boris vs Harriet Harman would be great
    Hmmm, I guess they could both wear colour coded anti stab vest while canvassing…

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/labour/1583485/Harriet-Harman-in-stab-vest-for-Peckham-walk.html
  • Options
    edited August 2014

Pulpstar said:

Are you sure about UKIP - Pollsters don't tend to list 2010 VI for UKIP

Also Yougov "Party political identification" and Populus Question " Q.4 Regardless of which party, if any, you are likely to end up voting for at the next General Election due in
    May 2015 or are leaning towards at the moment, which political party would you say you have usually most closely
    identified yourself with? "

are not 2010 VI.

I'll agree with you on Labour though. But I think that leads to the same result that this poll would show less of a swing if it was weighted for 2010 "remembered VI".
  • Options
    timmotimmo Posts: 1,469
    stodge said:

timmo said:

He would also win.....

As distinct from somewhere like Carshalton & Wallington where on the back of your team's fine performance this May, he probably wouldn't.

Actually he would beat Tom Brake in C&W..you only have to look at the Mayoral election results from there where the LDs were pummelled in all but 2 wards.
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

This is about survation constituency phone polls, but it applies to all polls.

Secondly, we have reason to believe that there is a substantial degree of false recall going on in these telephone polls when people are asked who they voted for in the last election. In most constituencies we have polled over the last year, the proportion of people saying they voted UKIP in 2010 was higher than the actual recorded percentage from the last election.

I cannot think of a plausible reason why, after having corrected for age, gender and ward, we would actually have over-sampled past UKIP voters so significantly and so consistently.

Instead it seems far more likely that these additional “past UKIP” voters, virtually all of whom say they are currently planning to vote UKIP, are either consciously or subconsciously altering their response to make their views sound more consistent, or else are confusing the 2010 general election with a different election, perhaps the last local elections, in which they did actually vote UKIP (in South Thanet for instance UKIP came top in the local elections 2013).

To consistently depress the UKIP vote by applying a downweighting to these voters without a plausible hypothesis for why they are being “over-sampled” would seem to be a major mistake.

http://survation.com/a-note-on-methodology-for-our-constituency-phone-polls/
  • Options
    FrankBoothFrankBooth Posts: 9,047
    It really depends on the seats involved. Are they actually listed somewhere? Why would Unite pay for this? Perhaps in part because it supports the Labour party and they could do with good polling. But why publish it? That means the Tories get just as much benefit as Labour. My guess is Unite is trying to prop up Ed Miliband against the Blairites who want him gone. There's nothing wrong with the poll but would it have been published if it was bad for Labour? I think not.
  • Options

It really depends on the seats involved. Are they actually listed somewhere? Why would Unite pay for this? Perhaps in part because it supports the Labour party and they could do with good polling. But why publish it? That means the Tories get just as much benefit as Labour. My guess is Unite is trying to prop up Ed Miliband against the Blairites who want him gone. There's nothing wrong with the poll but would it have been published if it was bad for Labour? I think not.

They are listed here, in the tweet Mike's embedded in the thread header
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,344
    Speedy said:

Comparing the ashcroft marginals and the survation marginals you see that survation did a much smaller sample per constituency ( only 200 people).

The only LAB vs CON marginal constituencies that you can compare that look like they have similar results (ashcroft in parenthesis) are:

The rest usually have Labour blasting ahead 20-25% at 50%, which is similar to 1997-2001 levels. Very unrealistic.

On a surprisingly slow connection from Beijing, and can't load the poll details - is Broxtowe in there?

That said, you can't really criticise the poll on the basis of who paid for it (for that matter, Lord Ashcroft remains a Tory) or pick out selected seats as more realistic - there's a big MOE in each seat but the overall result needs to be looked at in its own terms. I'd g?uess that one factor of the seats selected may be that they have high LD votes to squeeze

For instance we had 17% LDs last time (and 39-38% for Con and Lab); this time they've not even selected a candidate yet, and are doing zero campaigning apart from some councillor Focus letters. Other things being equal, I need to get 0.7% of that to win. If in fact I got 12% of it then yes, I'd be on 50%. A more plausible current split IMO would be Lab 9 LD 4 Con 3 Green 1, which would move the figures to Con 42, Lab 47, before taking account of any UKIP impact or other factors.
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,864
    timmo said:

stodge said:

timmo said:

He would also win.....

Actually he would beat Tom Brake in C&W..you only have to look at the Mayoral election results from there where the LDs were pummelled in all but 2 wards.
    Not really quite the same - we know the LDs do poorly in the Mayoral, GLA and European Parliamentary elections. It's just the small matter of the Borough Council and Westminster elections where the Conservatives fail time and time again to dislodge the LDs.

• Options
    Old Trafford toss delayed until at least 10:45am

Play unlikely before 11:15am
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

Secondly, we have reason to believe that there is a substantial degree of false recall going on in these telephone polls when people are asked who they voted for in the last election. In most constituencies we have polled over the last year, the proportion of people saying they voted UKIP in 2010 was higher than the actual recorded percentage from the last election.

I cannot think of a plausible reason why, after having corrected for age, gender and ward, we would actually have over-sampled past UKIP voters so significantly and so consistently.

Instead it seems far more likely that these additional “past UKIP” voters, virtually all of whom say they are currently planning to vote UKIP, are either consciously or subconsciously altering their response to make their views sound more consistent, or else are confusing the 2010 general election with a different election, perhaps the last local elections, in which they did actually vote UKIP (in South Thanet for instance UKIP came top in the local elections 2013).

To consistently depress the UKIP vote by applying a downweighting to these voters without a plausible hypothesis for why they are being “over-sampled” would seem to be a major mistake.

The Populus tables are the most interesting to observe UKIP weighting phenomenon on. The unweighted -> weighted UKIP figure differences are staggering.

It's well known that Labour voters are lazy as sin so its justified to downweight them a bit imo.
  • Options

Speedy said:

On a surprisingly slow connection from Beijing, and can't load the poll details - is Broxtowe in there?

That said, you can't really criticise the poll on the basis of who paid for it (for that matter, Lord Ashcroft remains a Tory) or pick out selected seats as more realistic - there's a big MOE in each seat but the overall result needs to be looked at in its own terms. I'd g?uess that one factor of the seats selected may be that they have high LD votes to squeeze

For instance we had 17% LDs last time (and 39-38% for Con and Lab); this time they've not even selected a candidate yet, and are doing zero campaigning apart from some councillor Focus letters. Other things being equal, I need to get 0.7% of that to win. If in fact I got 12% of it then yes, I'd be on 50%. A more plausible current split IMO would be Lab 9 LD 4 Con 3 Green 1, which would move the figures to Con 42, Lab 47, before taking account of any UKIP impact or other factors.
    They did poll Broxtowe
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

The Populus tables are the most interesting to observe UKIP weighting phenomenon on. The unweighted -> weighted UKIP figure differences are staggering.

It's well known that Labour voters are lazy as sin so its justified to downweight them a bit imo.
    The populus UKIP VI share is in line with the median across the pollsters, I think we're seeing a similar false recall problem amongst current Kippers.
This discussion has been closed.